Komodo IDE

Development Environment

Work for Komodo IDE?

Learning about Komodo IDE?

Komodo IDE Reviews

Ask Komodo IDE a Question
Showing 10 Komodo IDE reviews
Komodo IDE review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"Komodo IDE flies"

What do you like best?

I like best Komodo's minimalistic interface ( latest gtk theme support like material design Paper), remote editing ( Preferences -> Servers ),

lots of options and integrations.

1. Cross-platform ( Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux ).

2. Firefox style extensions.

3. A lot contemporary color schemes.

4. Built-in FTP and SFTP, even with key authentification. It allows editing remote files directly and working with cloud-based projects.

5. Not Java-based. Java-based applications are very memory consuming.

6. Polyglot (as for languages ).

7. Many unique features.

8. Syntax support for rare, not popular and commercial programming languages.

9. Auto-completion functionality is excellent.

10. Syntax checking is configurable / customizable / extensible for every specific programming language. There are internal and external linters / hinters / etc.

11. Free full-fledged IDE.

12. Support is very responsive and one can easily contribute or post an issue.

13. Intuitive interface.

14. Easily integrates into desktop environment (GUI theme, system environment variables, custom installation folder, etc.).

15. As for my experience Komodo IDE never crashes.

16. Native unicode support and unicode compatibility checking.

17. Feature rich and various unique features.

18. International.

What do you dislike?

Preferences -> Servers have issues with special characters (-, etc) in server title.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Full featured editor. Everything a developer needs. I recommend Komodo Edit for python / Javascript programmers and web developers the same as for DevOps engineers as it provides auto-completion and syntax checking for apache / bash / makefile / YAML config file types .

Live editing, real-time coding.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Komodo IDE
Komodo IDE review by Ralf T.
Ralf T.

"Best IDE for PHP that I have used in my 15 years developing"

What do you like best?

There are numerous things that I like best. But the most important thing that saves me the most time is the single step debugging and real time variable preview. I get hired to fix problems and errors in PHP and the debugger makes my live a lot easier.

What do you dislike?

So far I have not found anything that I dislike. All the little annoying things have been eradicated over the years and the current version is pure perfection for my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have been using Komodo for many years and it is getting better with every new version. For me the most important feature is the single step debugging. That saves me hours of time.

I am mainly hired to fix problems and to extend existing system. Komodo helps me to quickly understand the folder and files structure even in complex systems like Zend or Magento. Using the debugger quickly lets me track down errors or find the right place to make the required amendments. Even in very complex setups I gave easily navigate to the right files, view them in multiple tabs and make a search over the entire project.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

Komodo IDE review by Tim S.
Tim S.

"Stands up to the big players like Visual Studio"

What do you like best?

Wide range of supported languages that can be quickly selected from the status bar. This makes it a great editor for quickly sketching out ideas or pasting in code from other sources.

The Syntax Checker icon in the status bar is invaluable, especially as I do quite a lot in XSLT, which doesn't tolerate mistakes.

The new changelog markings in the margins have been helpful

I appreciated being able to edit the styles as I use the Ubuntu font for editing code.

I'm only(!) using Komodo Edit but will be upgrade to IDE soon.

I've also used Komodo for some Ruby projects - big improvement on nano in the terminal!

I've used the find in folder to track down bugs.

What do you dislike?

I did try and use Komodo for editing email templates, and while the preview works well enough, I missed the split code/design view of Expression Web 4.

Considering the upgrade to IDE for more Python features and the Git support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Komodo Edit is a great way to evaluate Komodo IDE

I've been able to use it both as an IDE working on a big project, and a quick place to jot notes and code ideas

Komodo Edit is my main editor for working on our website, editing xslt templates, css and javascript. The ability to quickly switch between the test and live environments is a big time saver.

My previous editor of choice is Notepad++ and while I still use it, I moved to Komodo after several BOM encoding issues with XSLT files.

Komodo Edit has made me more productive.

Komodo IDE review by Greg M.
Greg M.

"Komodo experience: +1"

What do you like best?

The strength of this IDE is apparent right "out of the box". The tutorial, breadth of language coverage, debugging & development assist, integrated console view combine to make this is a very approachable and usable tool.

What do you dislike?

Yes, it costs some money to buy the license and then the recurring annual maintenance. But be real, it's a powerful product being enhanced by a dedicated team. Get over the minor costs and discover this is a solid tool.

Varied language projects (web, python, perl)

Komodo IDE review by ALIANE A.
ALIANE A.

"Python fast editor!"

What do you like best?

I work with Python, I love how it loads faster the calltips (autocompletion), it works on Windows and on Linux, so there is not problem about testing the code between both plateforms, I use the free edition (Edit) and it works like a charm; fast, and effective.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is the lack of feature -basic for my work- in the free version, like the removal of the python console from the free version, and there is no code folding, which I guess would be present in the editor even in the free version?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Now, there are lot of free editors that offer new options for free, the free version should offer more editing options that exist only in the commercial version.

Web programming: Python, HTML, CSS.

Komodo IDE review by User in Information Technology and Services

"The Best IDE for Web and Mobile Development"

What do you like best?

1. It is a lightweight editor i have ever used.

2. good theme options available like sublime

3. we are using komodo IDE for Front end development & it supports remote host connection so we can directly edit files from my remote host

What do you dislike?

Sometimes its not working while working with remote files but it might be the OS issue as its working perfact in windows OS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Should improve their feature like komodo editor

1. Fast editing remote files

2. Good speed with working on local computer

3. Nice UI themes options available for day/night work

4. Lots of font options are available

Komodo IDE review by Divya J.
Divya J.

"Good but buggy"

What do you like best?

easy to use with Python and intelligent. It can be personalized and much easier than vim.

What do you dislike?

its current release is broken with Paramiko so cant use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its really a good tool.

Automation using python

Komodo IDE review by Michel B.
Michel B.

"Works for me"

What do you like best?

- Clean interface.

- Drupal for Komodo extension.

- Git versionmanagement

What do you dislike?

I still dislike that the price went down last year, i bought my first license pretty expensive

Recommendations to others considering the product

install the trial and decide for yourself

Drupal coding and building web apps

Komodo IDE review by G2 Crowd User
G2 Crowd User

"Great and simple editor"

What do you like best?

Simple to use, clean interface. Many features that are great for IDE.

What do you dislike?

LAck of WYSIWYG for HTML, but no big deal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for developing, and the free version is good enough for most basic needs.

Developing in various languages for a large audience. Need to have an editor that supports many languages and that is simple to use.

Komodo IDE review by Jared T.
Jared T.

"My code editor of choice"

What do you like best?

Works well with PHP, Ruby, CSS and Javascript, is available on Windows, Linux and Mac, starts off free and you can upgrade to the IDE with more features. Nice perk is ability to right click on CSS color and get a popup of the color on screen.

What do you dislike?

No complaints, it's free so can't complain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nice free code editor that can be upgraded to IDE for reasonable price

Learning about Komodo IDE?

* We monitor all Komodo IDE reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.