LabWindows/CVI

3.2

LabWindows/CVI is an ANSI C integrated development environment (IDE) and engineering toolbox with built-in libraries for measurement, analysis, and engineering UI design.

Work for LabWindows/CVI?

Learning about LabWindows/CVI?

LabWindows/CVI Reviews

Showing 5 LabWindows/CVI reviews
LabWindows/CVI review by Rob L.
Rob L.

"Stable, robust C-based IDE development platform"

What do you like best?

Great standard libraries, active development community, full C language compliance.

What do you dislike?

Forget finding 3rd party hardware driver support for this. I've been grateful to work with some really good vendors that have made me custom C-only driver versions of their C++ drivers. In most cases, you'll encounter a LabView VI driver for your hardware, but nothing for LabWindows.

Small market share means blazing a trail alone. You're a bit of an island if you work in CVI. No one, and I mean no one, has ever heard of it. But it's pretty fun to develop in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For software developers, you'd probably be better off keeping your options open, since this is a legacy product that doesn't support more "modern" languages, like OOP design, garbage collection, error handling, etc.

Still... I love it. What can I say? It's a nice, tight little package, with good library support. I've written some nice slick apps with it for my company, and my users are all very happy.

I write machine automation software for our manufacturing line. We gather performance data for life cycle testing of high-precision, high-vacuum, high-voltage products. It covers most of the technical, hardware layer problems I've encountered.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about LabWindows/CVI
LabWindows/CVI review by James G.
James G.

"LabWindows or LabView"

What do you like best?

If you know a text based programming language, then you can pick up LabWindows pretty easy. It’s very robust and can handle nearly all problems you throw at it.

What do you dislike?

For simple automation, it takes more steps/effort than it probably should. Although it has been a few generations (2012) since I have used it, so that may jave changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

National Instrument software is fantastic and I cannot recommend it enough.

We use both LabView and LabWindows for our design validation in the lab as well as for the manufacturing testers we deploy to our contract manufacturers (CMs). Since NI software is well known and easy to use, our CMs can make chamges on the line without needing one of our engineers to traveling.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

LabWindows/CVI review by Kevin M.
Kevin M.

"LabWindows/CVI: If you're a c programmer in an NI-captive lab, this is the back door."

What do you like best?

LabView is great for one or two instruments running one or two tests. The programs are easy to start, stable, good looking and support just about every kind of hardware.

I prefer text-based programming environments like like VB, C#, pythion, etc. because I think they handle larger programs better. The main limitation to LabView for larger programs is the schematic based environment. A design with too many wire connections can turn into a hellish self-destructing haystack when a central block moves or changes. For the same reason, programs of all sizes are spacially inefficient - an entire screen of well made LabView can often be reduced to ten text lines of VB.

All of that to say this:

If you find yourself stuck in a lab where NI software is a mandate, look for CVI. Last I checked CVI was still included with the highest license level of Labview. NI keeps it hushed, I think because it looks like circa 1999 Microsoft MFC. LabWindows/CVI lets you circumvent arbitrary and capricious requirements to use clunky software when Microsoft publishes a perfectly usable, completely free version of C#.

LabWindows/CVI is fairly clunky itself, but I believe it's the lesser of two evils.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use C# or Python instead.

I write hardware test programs for semiconductor characterization and production. I automate water/gas/electric utility hardware testing.

LabWindows/CVI review by Hung-Chi L.
Hung-Chi L.

"LabWindows/CVI has a good UI integration, but it's just an ANSI C tool."

What do you like best?

LabWindows/CVI has a good UI integration which allows you to design your GUI and have the codes generated very easily. Most people used it to create instrument drivers. However, it can be used to beyond this scope. Since it's an ANSI C IDE, you can use it like a regular IDE tool for simple C projects.

What do you dislike?

It's just an ANSI C IDE and compiler, period. There is no C++ features available. Hence, the nice exception handling and object-oriented programming (OOP) features are missing. The traditional error-code scheme really lacks the ability for the program to pass important error information in details, and hence, hampers the debug efforts when things fail. C++'s exception handling really helps simplifying the error handling and retains the failure details. The OOP feature can simplify the coding structure and complexity, making the codes more intuitive and readable. I wished that LabWindows/CVI can be upgraded to a C++ IDE/compiler. If for some reason some people just wanted the pure C features, the C++ compiler can always be restricted into the C-only mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simple but good UI integration. ANSI C only, period.

I had developed a Manufacturing test framework using TestStand with LabView as the working layer. However, LabView manages its own objects in its own memory space. This makes the object passing between TestStand and LabView very inefficient. The result was a slow and memory hungry monster. Later, I had to rewrite the Laview part into multi-threaded C codes using LabWindows/CVI. The binary produced LabWindows/CVI is run in the same process space of TestStand making it more efficient to share and manage objects. The C version resulted in 33% decrease in memory usage and 33% faster than the LabView version.

LabWindows/CVI review by G2 Crowd User in Higher Education
G2 Crowd User in Higher Education

"Does everything almost"

What do you like best?

The software applications are limitless.

What do you dislike?

This program needs a better incorporation for hard coding.

Feedback and instrumentation controls. The built in filtering processes make life easy.

Learning about LabWindows/CVI?

* We monitor all LabWindows/CVI reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.