Lectora Inspire

Save time and money with Lectora Inspire’s robust tools and built-in eLearning Brothers awesomeness. New eLearning developers will love Lectora’s premade themes and templates, while advanced users can easily add custom code and more.

Work for Lectora Inspire?

Learning about Lectora Inspire?

Lectora Inspire Reviews

Ask Lectora Inspire a Question
Showing 37 Lectora Inspire reviews
Lectora Inspire review by <span>Andy L.</span>
Andy L.

"The most versatile ID software."

What do you like best?

Since my own early experiences up to my introduction to Lectora Inspire 16, I have seen Trivantis make numerous measurable improvements to the software based on user feedback, always striving to improve, even where they do not necessarily need to make improvements - when they saw an opportunity to make some function better, they did.

The learning curve notwithstanding, Inspire is versatile enough to be able to handle varying builds, depending on need. From simple quizzes, to complex user-navigated courses with multiple tracks, Inspire has the functionality to make the process seamless and smooth for the user - and mostly hassle-free for the developer.

What do you dislike?

While the program is amazing, and capable of any number of functions, it does have a learning curve. This curve can appear daunting to the uninitiated and prevent them from exploring the system further than they are required to for the build they are trying to achieve. I have heard many comparisons to Adobe's programs, the argument being that Adobe's learning curve is easier.

While I understand this argument, I propose that Adobe's learning curve is easier only because there is not nearly as much one might be able to learn and do when compared to Inspire.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend that everyone use Lectora over other programs for Instructional Design and Development. It is true that the learning curve is steep in comparison to Captivate or Storyline, but it is required to be in order to achieve the kinds of interactions that cannot be done in those other products. You can hit the ground running in a basic sense from the first time opening the program, and the community that supports Trivantis is second to none.

I have built a number of learning modules for my department, providing both learning to the user and trackable results to management. I have seen that not only can Inspire do what we are required to build, but utilizing CourseMill and Reviewlink provides seamless interaction between the programs, enabling a smooth problem-free experience for the user.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Lectora Inspire
Lectora Inspire review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Half a step up from powerpoint"

What do you like best?

This is good for instructional designers who know nothing, or nearly nothing, about graphics or programming. It makes basic functions like page navigation and test scoring very easy. If you can use powerpoint, you can use Lectora. However, in terms of what you can create, you're only slightly less limited than you would be using powerpoint.

What do you dislike?

If you want to do anything beyond the basic text-and-picture page, or use any interactions that Lectora does not already have built in, it will fight you every step of the way. The code it generates is cryptic, and the software is so buggy that it prevents saves, loses work, and frequently crashes. The customer support seems to not know how to fix any of these problems, and there is no substantial active online community to help when you have any questions about features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure that you either do not want to be ambitious with your output, or you can generate content with other software to input in Lectora. Flash can be imported, and to some extent variables can be shared. Javascript and CSS will also mostly work, but you will want a separate text editor.

There is honestly no reason to be using this software, unless you are a lone instructional designer and have no programming experience. The hassle of getting it to work consistently far outweighs its ease of use. And if you ever want to expand your courses beyond the basics, you will quickly become frustrated by how Lectora will not play nicely with you.

What Course Authoring solution do you use?

Lectora Inspire review by <span>Chrisie A.</span>
Chrisie A.

"Best in class for creating SCORM content"

What do you like best?

Lectora provides an easy to use front end yet packs enough power to create fairly complex interactions and assessments. It has good debugging and allows even novice users to create content that is SCORM compliant. Lectora has a review tool known as "reviewLink" that I have found tremendously helpful in getting SMEs to review content. They can create an account and provide feedback that I can export and use to make revisions. I also have found Lectora content to be quite compatible with Saba, our learning mangaement system (LMS).

What do you dislike?

Many of the limitations I experience are due to SCORM shortcomings, not those of Lectora. That said, I have had significant problems with Trivantis' customer support. As for the product, I would like to see a cleaner interface (without losing the ease of use) and additional functionality surrounding object manipulation. I would also like to see enhanced export options. There is no good way to get the content back out of Lectora in a form that can be edited - such as going back to a storyboard. The Word export feature is terrible. I would also love to see an answer key option for testing/archive purposes.

We use Lectora to create self-paced web-based learning. This allows us to provide information on a just in time basis to our geographically diverse workforce. The benefits have been seen primarily in the satisfaction of our employees in being able to take learning on their schedule and at their pace. It has allowed us to impart far more knowledge than we would be able to using in-person training methods alone.

Lectora Inspire review by <span>EJ L.</span>
EJ L.

"Lectora 12 is a step in the right direction, but it has a long, long way to go."

What do you like best?

The thing that still sets Lectora apart from the pack is the ability to customize assessments and proof of completion. In Articulate Storyline, my options are extremely limited, and I'm used to having to twist its arm to get it to do some things that Lectora does naturally - things like creating a customized results certificate.

Lectora also has some nifty features you can't find anywhere else. I like the idea that I can easily drag and drop a menu into place. However, this feature isn't worth it when its interface doesn't match the design aesthetic I'm building for the course. I want complete and total control of that menu, and everything else I put on the screen. I remember feeling like I had to move a mountain in order to get my custom menu arrangement in place, only to feel completely frustrated when I that menu would not display correctly on the screen. My custom graphics would "flicker" staccato-like upon the screen. That problem was so bad that we ended up abandoning Lectora and shifting to Articulate Storyline. Allow me to expand on that in the next question.

What do you dislike?

I cannot stand Lectora's poor design features. The less-than-PowerPoint-but-very-reminiscent-of-PowerPoint features (additions that make it look a few steps behind Articulate Storyline, by the way) are nowhere near enough.

I would be able to handle this by just using PowerPoint or Adobe CC (illustrator and photoshop) - or even using the SnagIt editor - to do some of the graphics work elsewhere, but no one can overcome the "ghost in the Lectora machine" that causes the images to sporadically flicker upon loading. Do you want to have an advanced animation to illustrate your point? Forget about using Lectora.

In fact, if design and modern UI elements are at all a concern for you, you should skip Lectora altogether and choose Storyline or Captivate. I think that Lectora needs to hire a top-notch designer and some young-gun eLearning developers to completely revamp their next iteration of the software.

It is to a point that I would, were I trivantis, seriously consider abandoning the Lectora name.

By the way, I don't think Lectora's affiliations with eLearning Brothers and Camtasia/SnagIt are doing Lectora any favors. I LOVE Camtasia and SnagIt and I use this software every day. But there is such a disparity in user experience between this software, and the strangely outdated views of the design methodology involved (Lectora's development process is literally intended to create "page-turner" books - and this is not a compliment). Every time I see an endorsement/special deal from the eLearning Brothers (who are amazing in their own right), it makes me think they have sold out to a pretty sweet deal offered by the people who are willing to charge so very much money for their software.

To sum up, Lectora desperately needs to completely rethink its software and the needs of its users. I'm actually delighted to see the next question, because it means you're seriously taking this into account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you have some pretty specific assessment needs that only Lectora can answer, I highly recommend you avoid purchasing Lectora.

In fact, if you are just getting started in the eLearning business, you should consider purchasing Articulate Storyline 2 and then getting the Camtasia/Snagit bundle separately. Not only will you save money, you will find your experience designing and developing eLearning solutions vastly more enjoyable.

I am a single consultant who often designs and develops eLearning solutions. I use the top-three tools (Articulate Storyline, Captivate, and Lectora) and I have made some pretty amazing interventions using all three.

Out of these three, I like Articulate Storyline the best. I am able to do the most with this product in the shortest amount of time than I can with the other authoring tools I mentioned.

Lectora is falling behind its competitors so badly that the only time I have used it recently in my development processes was to transfer a course originally made in Lectora to Articulate Storyline. While I consider myself a current user of this product, I am not paying for a license with this product and will not pay for one until a project requires me to do so.

Lectora Inspire review by <span>Stephen H.</span>
Stephen H.

"Lectora Inspire: a leader in course creation"

What do you like best?

There are several things that I love about this software package: freedom from the constraints of a PPT based authoring tool, custom variables that allow me to do almost anything my clients dream up, and the ease with which client reviews can be performed through Review Link.

What do you dislike?

So far I've identified only a few issues: options are limited when working with bullet points, difficulty in making courses truly accessible to all users (e.g., JAWS screen readers), and limited information available when assistance is needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This package is definitely a contender when looking for a new tool. If you need robust test options (multiple scored tests per module, testing branched by user/business line, multiple question pools, etc.) this is perhaps the best tool I have had the pleasure to work with.

I work in the banking industry, specifically in Regulatory Compliance and mandatory training. My challenge has been to take what is often seen as truly dry and boring content and making it more interactive and fun for our learners. We have seen a rise in our learner satisfaction surveys.

Lectora Inspire review by <span>Timothy A.</span>
Timothy A.

"From Beginner to Advanced Users and from regular to rapid development, you can't go wrong..."

What do you like best?

In my opinion, this authoring tool is by far the most flexible authoring tool I have used to date. Ever since I started using Lectora, I have been able to create simple, yet creative eLearning courses, to advanced, time intensive courses. With Trivantis' latest version of Lectora Inspire, I have been able to "prototype" courses quickly for a quick approval and publishing turnaround time. One of my favorite features of Lectora Inspire, is the inclusion of three other great tools: (1) FlyPaper (for quick, flash based content); (2) Snag-it (for quick and easy image/graphic editing and creation; and (3) Camtasia Lectora Edition (for quick screencasting). Not only does Lectora Inspire include these tools, it is flexible enough for you to choose your own preferred tools to edit video, audio and/or images with (i.e. Photoshop or Captivate). And finally, the latest addition to Lectora Inspire is, well, inspiring! You can now directly link to an eLearning Brothers account for more eLearning tools!

What do you dislike?

For me, this tool stands alone. I also use other authoring tools and I feel that some authoring tools work better in certain situations than others. Lectora Inspire can be used for any project if this is the only authoring tool you can get; however, it is harder to get a more modern look and feel to a course with this authoring tool if you are not an intermediate to advanced user. There is a learning curve to get the most of Lectora Inspire for beginners, but, it is well worth the time it takes to learn the tool in order to produce a great looking course.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using the free trial version to get a feel for it; however, it deserves your full attention for a proper review of the product. A quick download and glance-thru will not give you a good overview of the product. And finally, have an free eLearning Brothers account ready to connect to Lectora Inspire - you won't regret it!

Lectora Inspire solves the issue of putting certain classroom content into an eLearning course. I have realized that not everything fits into an eLearning course; however, when it does, it can be very beneficial to an ISD, Trainer and to Students.

Learning about Lectora Inspire?

* We monitor all Lectora Inspire reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.