Lectora Inspire

Save time and money with Lectora Inspire’s robust tools and built-in eLearning Brothers awesomeness. New eLearning developers will love Lectora’s premade themes and templates, while advanced users can easily add custom code and more.

Work for Lectora Inspire?

Learning about Lectora Inspire?

Lectora Inspire Reviews

Ask Lectora Inspire a Question
Showing 37 Lectora Inspire reviews
Lectora Inspire review by Andy L.
Andy L.

"The most versatile ID software."

What do you like best?

Since my own early experiences up to my introduction to Lectora Inspire 16, I have seen Trivantis make numerous measurable improvements to the software based on user feedback, always striving to improve, even where they do not necessarily need to make improvements - when they saw an opportunity to make some function better, they did.

The learning curve notwithstanding, Inspire is versatile enough to be able to handle varying builds, depending on need. From simple quizzes, to complex user-navigated courses with multiple tracks, Inspire has the functionality to make the process seamless and smooth for the user - and mostly hassle-free for the developer.

What do you dislike?

While the program is amazing, and capable of any number of functions, it does have a learning curve. This curve can appear daunting to the uninitiated and prevent them from exploring the system further than they are required to for the build they are trying to achieve. I have heard many comparisons to Adobe's programs, the argument being that Adobe's learning curve is easier.

While I understand this argument, I propose that Adobe's learning curve is easier only because there is not nearly as much one might be able to learn and do when compared to Inspire.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend that everyone use Lectora over other programs for Instructional Design and Development. It is true that the learning curve is steep in comparison to Captivate or Storyline, but it is required to be in order to achieve the kinds of interactions that cannot be done in those other products. You can hit the ground running in a basic sense from the first time opening the program, and the community that supports Trivantis is second to none.

I have built a number of learning modules for my department, providing both learning to the user and trackable results to management. I have seen that not only can Inspire do what we are required to build, but utilizing CourseMill and Reviewlink provides seamless interaction between the programs, enabling a smooth problem-free experience for the user.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Lectora Inspire
Lectora Inspire review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Half a step up from powerpoint"

What do you like best?

This is good for instructional designers who know nothing, or nearly nothing, about graphics or programming. It makes basic functions like page navigation and test scoring very easy. If you can use powerpoint, you can use Lectora. However, in terms of what you can create, you're only slightly less limited than you would be using powerpoint.

What do you dislike?

If you want to do anything beyond the basic text-and-picture page, or use any interactions that Lectora does not already have built in, it will fight you every step of the way. The code it generates is cryptic, and the software is so buggy that it prevents saves, loses work, and frequently crashes. The customer support seems to not know how to fix any of these problems, and there is no substantial active online community to help when you have any questions about features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure that you either do not want to be ambitious with your output, or you can generate content with other software to input in Lectora. Flash can be imported, and to some extent variables can be shared. Javascript and CSS will also mostly work, but you will want a separate text editor.

There is honestly no reason to be using this software, unless you are a lone instructional designer and have no programming experience. The hassle of getting it to work consistently far outweighs its ease of use. And if you ever want to expand your courses beyond the basics, you will quickly become frustrated by how Lectora will not play nicely with you.

What Course Authoring solution do you use?

Lectora Inspire review by Chrisie A.
Chrisie A.

"Best in class for creating SCORM content"

What do you like best?

Lectora provides an easy to use front end yet packs enough power to create fairly complex interactions and assessments. It has good debugging and allows even novice users to create content that is SCORM compliant. Lectora has a review tool known as "reviewLink" that I have found tremendously helpful in getting SMEs to review content. They can create an account and provide feedback that I can export and use to make revisions. I also have found Lectora content to be quite compatible with Saba, our learning mangaement system (LMS).

What do you dislike?

Many of the limitations I experience are due to SCORM shortcomings, not those of Lectora. That said, I have had significant problems with Trivantis' customer support. As for the product, I would like to see a cleaner interface (without losing the ease of use) and additional functionality surrounding object manipulation. I would also like to see enhanced export options. There is no good way to get the content back out of Lectora in a form that can be edited - such as going back to a storyboard. The Word export feature is terrible. I would also love to see an answer key option for testing/archive purposes.

We use Lectora to create self-paced web-based learning. This allows us to provide information on a just in time basis to our geographically diverse workforce. The benefits have been seen primarily in the satisfaction of our employees in being able to take learning on their schedule and at their pace. It has allowed us to impart far more knowledge than we would be able to using in-person training methods alone.

Lectora Inspire review by EJ L.
EJ L.

"Lectora 12 is a step in the right direction, but it has a long, long way to go."

What do you like best?

The thing that still sets Lectora apart from the pack is the ability to customize assessments and proof of completion. In Articulate Storyline, my options are extremely limited, and I'm used to having to twist its arm to get it to do some things that Lectora does naturally - things like creating a customized results certificate.

Lectora also has some nifty features you can't find anywhere else. I like the idea that I can easily drag and drop a menu into place. However, this feature isn't worth it when its interface doesn't match the design aesthetic I'm building for the course. I want complete and total control of that menu, and everything else I put on the screen. I remember feeling like I had to move a mountain in order to get my custom menu arrangement in place, only to feel completely frustrated when I that menu would not display correctly on the screen. My custom graphics would "flicker" staccato-like upon the screen. That problem was so bad that we ended up abandoning Lectora and shifting to Articulate Storyline. Allow me to expand on that in the next question.

What do you dislike?

I cannot stand Lectora's poor design features. The less-than-PowerPoint-but-very-reminiscent-of-PowerPoint features (additions that make it look a few steps behind Articulate Storyline, by the way) are nowhere near enough.

I would be able to handle this by just using PowerPoint or Adobe CC (illustrator and photoshop) - or even using the SnagIt editor - to do some of the graphics work elsewhere, but no one can overcome the "ghost in the Lectora machine" that causes the images to sporadically flicker upon loading. Do you want to have an advanced animation to illustrate your point? Forget about using Lectora.

In fact, if design and modern UI elements are at all a concern for you, you should skip Lectora altogether and choose Storyline or Captivate. I think that Lectora needs to hire a top-notch designer and some young-gun eLearning developers to completely revamp their next iteration of the software.

It is to a point that I would, were I trivantis, seriously consider abandoning the Lectora name.

By the way, I don't think Lectora's affiliations with eLearning Brothers and Camtasia/SnagIt are doing Lectora any favors. I LOVE Camtasia and SnagIt and I use this software every day. But there is such a disparity in user experience between this software, and the strangely outdated views of the design methodology involved (Lectora's development process is literally intended to create "page-turner" books - and this is not a compliment). Every time I see an endorsement/special deal from the eLearning Brothers (who are amazing in their own right), it makes me think they have sold out to a pretty sweet deal offered by the people who are willing to charge so very much money for their software.

To sum up, Lectora desperately needs to completely rethink its software and the needs of its users. I'm actually delighted to see the next question, because it means you're seriously taking this into account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you have some pretty specific assessment needs that only Lectora can answer, I highly recommend you avoid purchasing Lectora.

In fact, if you are just getting started in the eLearning business, you should consider purchasing Articulate Storyline 2 and then getting the Camtasia/Snagit bundle separately. Not only will you save money, you will find your experience designing and developing eLearning solutions vastly more enjoyable.

I am a single consultant who often designs and develops eLearning solutions. I use the top-three tools (Articulate Storyline, Captivate, and Lectora) and I have made some pretty amazing interventions using all three.

Out of these three, I like Articulate Storyline the best. I am able to do the most with this product in the shortest amount of time than I can with the other authoring tools I mentioned.

Lectora is falling behind its competitors so badly that the only time I have used it recently in my development processes was to transfer a course originally made in Lectora to Articulate Storyline. While I consider myself a current user of this product, I am not paying for a license with this product and will not pay for one until a project requires me to do so.

Lectora Inspire review by Stephen H.
Stephen H.

"Lectora Inspire: a leader in course creation"

What do you like best?

There are several things that I love about this software package: freedom from the constraints of a PPT based authoring tool, custom variables that allow me to do almost anything my clients dream up, and the ease with which client reviews can be performed through Review Link.

What do you dislike?

So far I've identified only a few issues: options are limited when working with bullet points, difficulty in making courses truly accessible to all users (e.g., JAWS screen readers), and limited information available when assistance is needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This package is definitely a contender when looking for a new tool. If you need robust test options (multiple scored tests per module, testing branched by user/business line, multiple question pools, etc.) this is perhaps the best tool I have had the pleasure to work with.

I work in the banking industry, specifically in Regulatory Compliance and mandatory training. My challenge has been to take what is often seen as truly dry and boring content and making it more interactive and fun for our learners. We have seen a rise in our learner satisfaction surveys.

Lectora Inspire review by Timothy A.
Timothy A.

"From Beginner to Advanced Users and from regular to rapid development, you can't go wrong..."

What do you like best?

In my opinion, this authoring tool is by far the most flexible authoring tool I have used to date. Ever since I started using Lectora, I have been able to create simple, yet creative eLearning courses, to advanced, time intensive courses. With Trivantis' latest version of Lectora Inspire, I have been able to "prototype" courses quickly for a quick approval and publishing turnaround time. One of my favorite features of Lectora Inspire, is the inclusion of three other great tools: (1) FlyPaper (for quick, flash based content); (2) Snag-it (for quick and easy image/graphic editing and creation; and (3) Camtasia Lectora Edition (for quick screencasting). Not only does Lectora Inspire include these tools, it is flexible enough for you to choose your own preferred tools to edit video, audio and/or images with (i.e. Photoshop or Captivate). And finally, the latest addition to Lectora Inspire is, well, inspiring! You can now directly link to an eLearning Brothers account for more eLearning tools!

What do you dislike?

For me, this tool stands alone. I also use other authoring tools and I feel that some authoring tools work better in certain situations than others. Lectora Inspire can be used for any project if this is the only authoring tool you can get; however, it is harder to get a more modern look and feel to a course with this authoring tool if you are not an intermediate to advanced user. There is a learning curve to get the most of Lectora Inspire for beginners, but, it is well worth the time it takes to learn the tool in order to produce a great looking course.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using the free trial version to get a feel for it; however, it deserves your full attention for a proper review of the product. A quick download and glance-thru will not give you a good overview of the product. And finally, have an free eLearning Brothers account ready to connect to Lectora Inspire - you won't regret it!

Lectora Inspire solves the issue of putting certain classroom content into an eLearning course. I have realized that not everything fits into an eLearning course; however, when it does, it can be very beneficial to an ISD, Trainer and to Students.

Lectora Inspire review by Marcel L.
Marcel L.

"Easy to learn and use, I have used program to create powerful and interactive training software."

What do you like best?

This software and I have become friends over the last few years. Though there are plenty of options, I keep going back to it. It is truly WYSISWYG (What you see is what you get). This makes implementing designs easy- no guess and check. I like how I can preview my entire course *in Lectora* and it will function and navigate basically the same as if I had published and uploaded the course to the web or LMS. I like how grouping works. Unlike other course authoring software, I can group actions together, and the inherit behavior is great for making sure your header/footer and menu items are always and top and functioning consistently. It is very fast, it opens quickly and is quite responsive. It will only slow down if you are editing/deleting/copy/pasting a lot of pages/actions/elements. It is easy to organize your course and move things around if need be. I also love the course progress bar- it is customizable and actually works exactly how I want it to.

What do you dislike?

Creating and editing custom questions/drag and drops and interactives can be clunky. The title explorer can get a little bit crowded and confusing if you are working with a longer course. There is no timeline, and so setting up animations and syncing with audio is not as easy as with other course authoring software. The online forums are very robust when searching for solutions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Though Storyline seems to be the rage, there are things that are possible with Lectora that may suit you or your business needs better.

I am rapidly prototyping and delivering business training solutions. Using Lectora allows for others to go in and make simple changes or updates after final delivery, as well as translations to be made by outside teams. It creates a simple package, both source and published.

Lectora Inspire review by Jasmine T.
Jasmine T.

"Lectora: Powerful but clunky & expensive"

What do you like best?

Lectora makes all the settings available that makes it easier to produce a 508 Compliant course (if you know what is required, because the program will not do it for you).

I also like that there's an online option. This is the #1 reason our company has not switched to Articulate Storyline. I can use my Mac without having to use Parallels.

What do you dislike?

i STRONGLY dislike technical support. You can't reach anyone by phone, you have to use the email form, support techs take too long to answer your question and usually the answers tend to be a bit lazy. I find myself silently asking, "Did you even ready my question?"

The program costs too much to have such horrible support. I shouldn't have to post the question in a LinkedIn Lectora group to receive help, but that's the most effective way.

I also dislike that ReviewLink cannot be used with Lectora Online and (to my knowledge) I can't save a course in a .zip file like I can with Lectora Inspire. That's a a pain.

I also don't like how clunky Lectora Inspire is. It's a massive program. If your hardware isn't maximized for best performance, you can run into problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't recommend using Lectora Inspire. I stopped using it as soon as the new version of Lectora Online was released. Everyone has preferences. If you are considering Lectora Inspire:

1. Upgrade your hardware so it won't slow your computer down as much (or crash as often).

2. If you have a problem/question submit it to both Technical Support AND The Lectora LinkedIn group.

3. The program takes a while to fully learn (I still haven't completely figured out how to harness the power of built-in variables (I wish there was a printed guide that provided more info)

4. It's the best program to pick if you have to design 508 Compliant courses.

5. It's the worst program to pick if your clients want advanced animations and pizzaz. Articulate Storyline is much better for that (but it also has its faults.

N/A - The company I work for is a vendor. We develop compliance courses for primarily the military and government agencies.

Lectora Inspire review by Benjamin B.
Benjamin B.

"Lectora Inspire: Probably not worth the switch"

What do you like best?

Quiz functionality is superb. Creating tests is a breeze. The ability to work with variables adds a lot of flexibility in terms of course navigation. Although I haven't used them, the announcement that eLearning Brothers templates would be included with a Lectora license has the potential to add tremendous value to the product.

What do you dislike?

Lectora does not do animations or other "flashy" (pun perhaps intended) effects very well. Responsive design and HTML5 are also lagging behind other tools. It's hard to tell customers who want something really trendy that they should want something more powerful. It's kind of like trying to convince someone that they should buy a Volvo instead of a BMW.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The cost of the product is high, but consider the eLearning Brothers library as a cost you don't have to consider. Faster development because of greater selection of pre-built templates and content.

One of the problems with Lectora is that it does not attract new users. Existing users love the new features, but the high cost turns off a lot of people. It really helps to have some programming experience as programming logic underlies much of Lectora use. It isn't "fancy PowerPoint"--which is a plus or a minus depending on the user's background, needs, and preferences.

Primarily regulatory training--designing courses that teach customers what they need to know to be in compliance. This is why tests are so important. You do not want to create "trick" questions, but users must answer challenging questions that prove mastery of the material. This is where Lectora shines and helps retain customers who might be swayed by less informative by trendier looking products.

Lectora Inspire review by Doreen J.
Doreen J.

"Lectora Inspire is Incredible!"

What do you like best?

I like the layout of Lectora and the ease to use the interface. We also do websites and custom applications, so maybe we had an edge in using the product. I like the ability to add code to a project. The learning curve was fairly easy and I knew enough after doing the first project to feel fairly proficient. I love Inspiration Wednesdays and the library of knowledge to find answers to most of my questions. And if I can't find it - customer support is incredible!

What do you dislike?

Importing a Power Point. It doesn't really come in very well. Easier to cut/paste your way through the story board I've done in Power Point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The sheer volume of options available with Lectora make it really the ONLY option and I did a lot of homework before buying. I like that it came with FlyPaper, Snagit, and Camtasia. And the help options and freedom to download samples and retake classes as often as you want - makes this the better bargain in the long run. The recent addition of eLearning templates and characters to your annual subscription is incredible.

Nothing special at the moment - just the usual customer requests for stuff I haven't done yet. One thing I need to solve is the ability to have a student get to the TOC if they've finished the class, logged out, and be recognized as having taken the class once and thereby have access to the TOC for freedom of movement without having to review the entire class again. One problem I recently solved was the need for me (as the developer) to go to a class in the LMS and have a hidden spot that allows me to quickly get to the TOC and navigate to a specific page if a student is having an issue on one page. The two problems are related - need to get to TOC without having to retake the entire class. The hidden spot for me has been huge! Now I don't dread questions on specific pages. Still trying to solve the second option.

Lectora Inspire review by Tom D.
Tom D.

"Lectora Inspire - Review from someone who has used Lectora for over 10 years"

What do you like best?

First let me explain my situation. My company helps other companies create e-learning projects. We are a small firm, but we probably have 50 courses under development right now. For most of these courses, the customer has a special request (actually many special requests), like restrictions ... for example not having access to the test until all pages are viewed, or points or badges awarded for performing page activities, or a Table of Contents, accessed by clicking a custom button. The list goes on and on. With Lectora, we can do any of these things. When the customer asks if something can be done, we always say yes. So Lectora gives us the best flexibility. So I advise people who are making a software decision, if they want templates and low learning curve, choose Articulate. If they want to explore, create, learn, and go outside the box, use Lectora.

What do you dislike?

With Lectora's constant push to get better and add more functionality (which I love ... and this year, the way buttons and graphics are handled is a tremendous improvement) comes versions that are not quite ready for prime time - but released anyway - with Trivantis ready to add patches as bugs are identified. We seem to always jump in first with the upgrades, and then suffer the bugs. For some reason we always think the problems are our fault, or our computer's ... but then eventually learn about the bug. I wish Trivantis (and all software developers) would be more open and proactive about communicating known bugs and fix schedules.

Basically with Lectora you can do anything you want. I find people can be very creative in imagining the best way to teach a topic - or structure an interaction. With Lectora, you can always apply your vision of how it should be done.

Lectora Inspire review by Laura G.
Laura G.

"The Swiss Army Knife of Authoring Tools"

What do you like best?

With Lectora, if I can dream it, I can most likely develop it. Lectora Inspire is great for creating engaging, interactive e-learning that learners will really enjoy using. It's ability to allow you to create custom variable and actions (and, even external javascript and other types of codes) means that your mind is the limit! You can do "programming" without having to do actual "coding," by creating custom actions and variables.

The Lectora Inspire suite is like the Swiss Army knife of authoring tools -- besides the "core" Lectora Publisher e-learning authoring tool, which is great for creating "conceptual" e-learning, you can use the embedded Camstasia tool to record screen captures and create/add software simulations. You can also use Lectora to create/add graphics, video, audio, "characters," "social" content from Facebook, Twitter, etc., and more. Lectora Inspire also comes with a subscription to E-Learning Brothers, which adds even more templates and interactive elements to the ones that Lectora already comes with. And, finally, it includes SnagIt, a screen-capture tool on steroids. (Although, honestly, you should already have SnagIt -- if you don't and decide not to get Lectora Inspire, by all means go get SnagIt....it's really inexpensive and *incredibly* useful!)

Lectora publishes to AICC, SCORM, and xAPI (as well as allowing you to publish to a format that can allow someone to run the e-course without an LMS), and is mobile-friendly (Lectora has always been html-based, with no Flash, unless you choose to add some).

Another nice feature that Lectora Inspire comes with is ReviewLink. ReviewLink allows you to publish your course to the ReviewLink server and then send a link to whatever SMEs, etc., you want to have review your e-course. It then allows the reviewers to make feedback on each page and allows you to manage and report on that feedback.

Finally, I really like the company that makes Lectora (Trivantis). When I first started using Lectora many, many years ago, I actually didn't particularly like it - it seemed quite weak in comparison to the tool I had been using. But Trivantis has done a great job of listening to their customers and improving their product tremendously over the years. A technical support contract is quite inexpensive (especially compared to, say, Adobe, which has wildly expensive and poor technical support service) and they have a pretty robust forum area for help from fellow Lectora users (as well as some user groups and a relatively inexpensive annual user conference).

What do you dislike?

I wish that it had some better basic text functionality -- bulleted lists are still a bit clunky, for example, and that I had the ability to edit vector images within Lectora, without having to use PowerPoint to do that. I also wish it had even more sophisticated Boolean logic. Also, the entry cost to Lectora is a bit high, although the annual renewal/maintenance cost isn't too bad. (But, if you decide to skip a year of maintenance and then want to upgrade later, you have to pay the full cost again, as if you were buying it from scratch. This isn't a big deal if you have a company paying for your license and just budget in the annual cost of renewal, but, for independent contractors, I could see how this could be somewhat burdensome.) Finally, although the technical support people are very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, you can't often reach them on the phone immediately -- you usually end up having to leave a message for them to call back. (You also do have the option of emailing them.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to be able to create really interactive, engaging e-learning using a fairly intuitive interface (as opposed to, say, developing in Flash or native HTML and coding your own programming), I strongly suggest that you look into Lectora Inspire. (Definitely do NOT choose a tool that won't allow you to do custom variables and actions, like most "rapid development" tools - those are good for creating glorified "page turners" with maybe a few simple quiz questions, but that's about it.)

That said, I've found that it's helpful to have more than one tool in my e-learning arsenal -- I do have Adobe Presenter and Captivate for creating certain kinds of e-learning/online presentations/demos, as well as VideoScribe for creating "explainer videos." But you'd have to pry my Lectora from my cold, dead hands! lol

I've used Lectora primarily to create product training and basic conceptual/process training. Our learners WAY prefer these engaging, interactive e-courses to the ones we create with our "rapid development" tools, like Adobe Presenter (although those do have a place when the content is simple and brief, and has a short shelf-life, which wouldn't justify putting in the time to create something more interactive). Our Lectora e-courses are usually created for new-hire programs, so they get a lot of re-use over many years, saving some instructor time and providing some variety in their learning experience. It's also useful for when new hires are hired as "one-offs" and we need to provide them with a largely guided self-study program.

Lectora Inspire review by Jennifer O.
Jennifer O.

"Serves its purpose with positives and negatives"

What do you like best?

Lectora makes it easy to work with variables and conditional actions which really helps the interactivity of your course. I like the ability to save templates so that I can quicky brand my course through the design wizard. I also like the access to the ReviewLink website which allows me to bypass IT in having business leads review for content. This allows them to get the look and feel of the course before dealing with the process to have it uploaded to the testing region. Finally, I like the title wizard which allows me to select objects regardless of which page I'm viewing. This makes it easy to update the course with revisions and corrections.

What do you dislike?

Lectora is limited in terms of options for software simulations. The amount of time and effort it takes to create a realistic software simulation makes it a poor choice in authoring tools if you are responsible for technical training, simulations and tutorials. Although Lectora gives you access to Camtasia, Snag It and Fly Paper, I personally find Adobe's elearning suite to be much more robust and more appropriate for software training. Another thing I do not like is the limited audio capacity. It is very difficult to get multilayerd sounds such as background music and an audio voiceover. I find that syncing events to the voiceover is more difficult than in Captivate and much more time consuming. The fact that you have to mark events first and then go back and set up what happens during that time creates room for errors and takes longer than it would if it had a similar design to Captivate's timeline. Also, the ability to edit audio is too basic. I would have preferred something closer to Adobe's Soundbooth or Audition software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do a lot of technical training, look at Captivate instead. Although it's possible to create a software simulation in Lectora, it is much more time consuming and more of a manual process. Lectora is a great authoring tool, but really figure out what you want to be able to accomplish before buying it so that you can ensure you are selecting the right authoring tool (each one has different strengths.)

The main reason we use Lectora is because our LMS is outdated and does not play nicesly with SCORM. Therefore, Lectora allows me to create AICC courses relatively easily. The benefit of Lectora's library objects and the ability to save templates save a lot of time (although other tools allow you to do this as well.) Overall, Lectora does it's job, and I think the biggest plus is the ease of creating, managing, and utilizing variables for your interactivity and course personalization. Although other tools allow you to create variables and use them, I believe Lectora is easier to use in that respect because the variable manager helps you keep track of all of the variables and the conditional actions are very easy to set up.

Lectora Inspire review by Rebecca G.
Rebecca G.

"The Most Easily Extended Tool on the Market"

What do you like best?

Lectora's HTML5 output makes extending with custom code easier than any other rapid development tool I've used. With a little bit of JavaScript, CSS or HTML knowledge, a designer rarely needs to compromise the design for want of the tool's abilities. The UI is ribbon-based, so users comfortable with Microsoft products should readily onboard to Lectora's interface.

What do you dislike?

Lectora's extend-ability comes at a price, and that's in native options. While I've yet to encounter something I CAN'T do, some designs are more laborious to execute in Lectora than in competitor's rapid development tools. There are other rapid development tools on the market whose custom graphics creation is better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Attend the Lectora User Conference to connect with other users - we/they are your best source of advanced-level support and inspiration. Also look in your local communities for Lectora User Groups, and attend meet-ups. The Lectora Community online also features users' sample titles, which are valuable to check out before purchasing to ensure Lectora's output meets your expectations.

Formal eLearning for new topics and new learners. We've also used Lectora to capture data that is not supported by our LMS. To that end, we've extended Lectora with JavaScript to capture variables and user activity in the course, and post that information to an intranet Share Point list. Most recently we used this functionality to collect responses to a poll of training team members about a particular topic without using a survey tool.

Lectora Inspire review by Annette W.
Annette W.

"I LOVE Lectora Inspire"

What do you like best?

Software is VERY easy to use. Very intuitive to all levels of software users. No need for coding knowledge prior to using this software. Can pick it up off of the shelf, take a quick tutorial/training class, and get started. The sky is the limit with this software - can create anything that your mind can imagine. If you already have coding skills, you can add additional functionality to your courses with javascript, etc...

What do you dislike?

Nothing really - only problem I have ever had was the removal of functionality that I used (but I guess wasn't widely used by the rest of Lectora users) with the upgrade to the newest version/patch. However, it was quickly resolved/a work-around was created when the issue was brought to the attention of the Trivantis team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Out of the "big three" (Adobe Captivate, Articulate Storyline and Lectora Inspire), Lectora is the priciest. However, it is truly an all in one package....you receive Camtasia, Flypaper, Snag It and access to the eLearning Brothers library (templates/icons/tools) with your Lectora Inspire package.

Quick turnaround on eLearning modules. Creation of standard templates/icons can be added to custom library, to save time. Since it's pretty easy to learn, new users are up and running rather quickly. I have used this software in both small and mid-sized organizations.

Lectora Inspire review by Greg J.
Greg J.

"Inspired by Inspire!"

What do you like best?

There are so many features that make creating a course so easy and with a professional appearance.

What do you dislike?

Some of the features can be hard to understand how to go about changing the properties.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure and take the time to become familiar with the product. There are alot of features and can be overwhelming in the beginning. The support provided by the vendor is outstanding and they are quick to respond to any issues you may have. It might be a little more expensive than other packages on the market, but it is worth the extra cost.

We are spread over a large geographical area, and getting the desire training to each of these locations can be difficult. Using Inspire has allowed us to be able to create one specific course and then make any minor changes that might be necessary for other locations.

Lectora Inspire review by Sterling K.
Sterling K.

"Run-of-the-mill Lectora user's review"

What do you like best?

Anything seems possible with Lectora Inspire. If you can dream it up, there is a way to produce it. Figuring out how to get from A to Z can be tricky.

What do you dislike?

Lectora's tech support is lacking and slow to respond. Many times I find myself wading through a problem on my own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new to Lectora, definitely go through the beginner and intermediate training that they offer. The "Inspiration Wednesday" webinars are very helpful. The online user forum is a great resource also.

I use Lectora to develop e-Learning for health and safety training and technical training. Our company has seen a dramatic cost savings over in-person training while maintaining a high level of confidence in the training effectiveness.

Lectora Inspire review by Brian D.
Brian D.

"Lectora Inspire Review"

What do you like best?

Quickly create professional custom learning courses.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes test question can be buggy. You have to have some experience under your belt to find the issues.

Bringing certified training to over 90,000 learners. The benefits of Lectora are many. No programming skills are required but can be useful. The software has really grown through the years and now offers game templates and multiple characters through eLearning bros.

Lectora Inspire review by User in Banking
User in Banking

"Flexible, Robust, Easy to Use eLearning Authoring Package"

What do you like best?

Lectora Inspire is an all inclusive package that truly provides designers an easy-to-use, yet robust software package. What I like best is the simplicity of the interface. I don't have to spend hours upon hours programing how pages will 'work'. Intuitive options allow for easy authoring, allowing me to focus on content design.

Another outstanding feature is the recent addition of eLearning Brothers assets to the offering. Their solutions are high quality and they have excellent support should you run into any issues.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that FlyPaper and Snap! are no longer part of the authoring software package from Trivantis. Although Inspire and Camtasia provide ample avenues for development, it was handy to have other tools available.

Another opportunity for improvement is their ReviewLink user support. This is a terrific tool to use, but there isn't literature to provide SME's and other users. This would be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Determine what your true needs are from an eLearning authoring standpoint. Although there are other solutions out there that can provide more of a 'rapid development' feel, Lectora provides a higher degree of control from a programming standpoint.

Lectora has helped elevate our learning environment by providing a training medium that colleagues can enjoy from their home base. It opens up doors to a more blended delivery approach, while increasing efficiency and retention of material.

Lectora Inspire review by Jeremy B.
Jeremy B.

"Lectora has built a beast!"

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility to make your course as simple or complex as you like. I tend to create courses that have a lot of interactivity and user-directed interfaces. Lectora makes this relatively easy once you get the hang of variables and how to make them interact with other elements in the course.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I have trouble with the de-bugging feature. It is not always easy to pinpoint where an interaction is going wrong. Although they have upgraded the graphics engine, in some cases, it is still better to import.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend it, but I would advise people to take the training if they are new to high-level authoring tools. You want to get the most out of it, so do not short-change yourself.

Typically, I am trying to solve the issue of teaching soft skills without simply showing a set of videos. Lectora allows there to be a high degree of interactivity to monitor progress and knowledge retention.

Lectora Inspire review by Kevin I.
Kevin I.

"Lectora Inspire is a useful and powerful eLearning tool"

What do you like best?

Lectora is set up with chapters and pages to guide a learner through the web based training. Lectora allows the designer to be able to go from page to page and chapter to chapter or to be able to skip around to different sections or chapters. A learner can then move from section to section as they decide. The author can also (using variables) guide the learner. The learner can be prevented from moving to another section before they have actually finished a page or a section of the module.

What do you dislike?

From time to time using variables can be difficult to troubleshoot. An author can spend lots of time tracking down problems created when the variables turn on and off switches.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Trivantis has some good training that is very helpful for a new user. I'd encourage a new Lectora user to take a training course. I also was able to go to a Lectora User conference a few years ago. I was able to make contact with several users from around the country. I also was able to go to several classes that helped me improve my work in Lectora. I also found a great book while at the conference.

A great solution that Lectora solves is the ability to track tests results in real time. Using your Learning Management System (LMS) Lectora Inspire can test a learner, teach a learner and grade the results.

Lectora Inspire review by Andrew V.
Andrew V.

"Great potential for those that are willing to learn"

What do you like best?

Once you have taken the time to find yourself around the software you realise that it has a huge potential in both rapid elearning and highly customised learning experiences.

I spent most of my first year with this product developing various solutions for various clients, then re-investing my time by taking interactions and creating a library for both myself and my peers to use as a copy and paste library for interactions. I can't state enough how much this improved the softwares quality of life within our organisation.

What do you dislike?

The built in resources do not showcase the potential of this software, I personally think it's vastly lacking in template interactions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for software that improves over the time you use it, then Lectora Inspire is definately for you, I can say with a large degree of confidence that you will get back ten fold what you put in.

However, with a degree of caution, if you are looking for a package that offers a large selection of pre-built interactions, Lectora Inspire may not nessessary be your first port of call.

Realistically you should consider spending a good few hundred hours of development upfront creating common template interactions that would suit your solutions.

i have created a vast array of solutions using lectora, from quick up-training to fully customised learning experiences. Lectora Inspire is capable of producing solutions at all levels.

The built in tools for Lectora Inspire (SnagIt/Camtasia/Flypaper) do help create an all-in-one platform straight out of the box, which will no doubt be useful to a lot of developers and budget conscious managers..

Lectora Inspire review by Benjamin B.
Benjamin B.

"I used Lectora for creation of computer based training and much more"

What do you like best?

I did find it easy to use in creating many items such as CAI and CBT materials. I was able to import many items such as audio and video and compression was decent. programming as well as many variable was fairly easy to work with as well. I created some interactive 3D elements which I was able to easily embed into the training module. The video and audio triggers/action points were also fairly helpful as well.

What do you dislike?

When Lectora was updated I found that it wasn't too friendly to the content Which I had already created. They also were moving away from publishing executables which made it difficult for my instructors to use in CAI versions of the training material. They were using government computers so they were unable to change the type of browser so if they had a problem with IE and the published material then they were stuck. The cost was very high as well. Customer service many times was lacking as well with me getting no answers and on numerous occasions, hung up on after a short answer of "it's not made for that" or "If you used the Trivantis LMS then maybe we could help".

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research into the other ID software that is out there and make sure to put it up to your current and future requirements. I did find in many cases that the software provided did not provide what I needed so I ultimately had to go with adobe products. Lectora , even with the other provided software in the Inspire package requires the use of other software for image and video editing/creation so keep that in mind when looking at them vs. say... Adobe and think to yourself "I would have to buy Adobe products anyway..."

I used it for creating many training modules as well as a few sales tools as well. Many of my colleges enjoyed the way I was able to incorporate and organize many different multimedia elements into one package. I used it to create Technical Video Instructions (TVIs), sales tools, training material, and even web pages with ease and with a little bit of training others were able to go into the programs and make changes. Camtasia and Snaggit are also worth their cost in some cases more by the way.

Lectora Inspire review by Maddie G.
Maddie G.

"Lectora Inspire is a robust tool. You can use it to provide innovative elearning solutions "

What do you like best?

Its capability to allow you to program whichever way you want. It is very straightforward and has simple logic ,which is good for someone who doesn't know programming. It is also great for someone who does. I love its ability to do partial scoring. I can score ALL question types (matching, drag and drop, multiple choice) with more than one correct answer.

I also like its cloud based version Lectora Online . No other tool offers that. It is easy to use, works fairly well with Lectora Inspire.

What do you dislike?

I wish it allowed you to have a play bar and customize it, and some type of a timeline capability to be able to bring events at specific times. I would also like to be able to customize the radio buttons in its Hotspot question type. They don't stand out.

I create elearning modules. Lectora helps me come up with innovative solutions. It works very well with our Learning Management System with Scorm 1.2 settings.

Lectora Inspire review by Monica J.
Monica J.

"Ease of use!"

What do you like best?

The best thing about using Lectora Inspire is the quick and easy learning curve. It is super user- friendly, easy to learn and makes creating good looking courses less frustrating than other products I've used.

What do you dislike?

Not a whole lot. Even when I ran in to issues it was easy to research and find better ways of doing something.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the online classes, get to know the basics first... they really help with making some cool items! And join the lectora community. You can reach out to others for assistance and learn a lot from them.

I was designing Human Resource courses at the corporate level. Diversity and Inclusion, Workplace Law, ...

Lectora Inspire review by Joshua G.
Joshua G.

"Lectora 12 Review"

What do you like best?

Lectora is extremely flexible and powerful that allows you to build anything. It's new interface is easy to use and added much need image editing tools. In combination with Camtasia and SnagIT Lectora truly is a very powerful authorware tool.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the image editing functionality which basically requires you to use an external editing software for images.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be patient - it may be hard to learn at first but this most certainly is the most powerful tool.

I build all online learning content. One of our main priorities is 508 compliance which Lectora completely solves for.

Lectora Inspire review by Tanya P.
Tanya P.

"Lectora Inspire Review"

What do you like best?

I liked the ease of learning and using it. Once I got the parent and child concept, it because very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Making interactivity is cumbersome. The steps to make graphics move or show/hide objects seemed a little cumbersome. Also, I was trying to construct a quiz where if you passed, you could move on, but if not, you had to complete the quiz, and I had a hard time trying to program this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you get that Parent and Child concept, Lectora becomes very easy to use. The nice thing about it is that it is not difficult to use.

Teaching tasks in Retail. For the end user, the elearning came out really good and easy for them to navigate through. Lectora definitely worked for our purposes.

Lectora Inspire review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Lectora Review"

What do you like best?

Lectora is valuable to me because it provides me the ability to create conditions and variables. I've come across few limitations and overall appreciate the power that the software provides.

What do you dislike?

Trivantis does not have a strong community of users at all. Even on their website, most of the entries are minimal and dated plus there is very little information that I found to be helpful. On occasion I've used the search engines to find other Lectora user groups and communities but they all circle back to the Trivantis website which once again I did no not think it is helpful at all. They need to do a better job of creating fanfare and supporting groups.

Lectora is a superior product. If you have a good imagination then you can perform a lot of cool things that cannot be done with the other e-authoring tools.

Lectora Inspire review by Victor A.
Victor A.

"Robust Authoring Tool"

What do you like best?

- The amount of options available to end user make it a very flexible platform that meets most of our needs.

What do you dislike?

- The SCORM box mentality. Today's website are responsive, interactive and easy to use. Meanwhile SCORM courses are bound by boxes. It's unappealing and keeps development within a box.

We create training for learners in the hospitality industry. Lectora Inspire has been useful in rapid development of those courses.

Lectora Inspire review by Roz S.
Roz S.

"Lectora is the eLearning tool of choice"

What do you like best?

The flexibility to design without any restrictions. I like that I can incorporate almost anything into my training such as videos, audio, social media, etc. The interface is friendly and easy to use. The company, Trivantis, is accommodating and really listens to their users.

What do you dislike?

There's very little I dislike. If I had to pick at something, I'd say the commenting feature is weak. I'd like to see the ability to make inline comments, with your objects,

We do a lot of compliance training. We have been able to enhance our eLearning since using Lectora and have received a lot of compliments on our courses.

Lectora Inspire review by Erica L.
Erica L.

"It's Okay"

What do you like best?

Quiz creator is the easiest option to set-up.

What do you dislike?

There's a lot of steps to building one page, which takes time. In most cases an ILC would work better than a Lectora CBT.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into Articulate Storyline

Building competency. Training on existing processes in a different manner i.e. CBT, ILC, OJT, etc...

Lectora Inspire review by Joe C.
Joe C.

"Awesome Tool Seeking Need AND Batteries Not Included"

What do you like best?

Lectora Inspire is a tremendous tool that offers powerful control for content development. Variables - variables are an amazing feature of Lectora.

What do you dislike?

I could get 90% of what I wanted done and then I needed to be a computer expert to get it done. The last mile of projects were often derailed because I did not know javascript or server programming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend the time learning all the functions. Join communities for tips, tricks and discussions. Budget dollars for expert assistance.

Customized training content including powerful assessment and decision making tools.

Lectora Inspire review by Mark M.
Mark M.

"Lectora Inspire"

What do you like best?

Easy navigation of GUI. Versatility of the authoring tool.

What do you dislike?

Complexities of LMS compatibilities, some browser technical issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand the full functionality of the tool; what it can and cannot do.

Quicker turnaround on developing eLearning course. More rapid type development.

Lectora Inspire review by User in Hospitality
User in Hospitality

"Pretty good but could be better"

What do you like best?

New elearning brothers suite is very helpful

What do you dislike?

Latest version is very, very slow and often feels clunky

Publishing and LMS interactions are easy. Built-in features speed up development.

Lectora Inspire review by Consultant in Professional Training & Coaching
Consultant in Professional Training & Coaching

"Very basic eLearning software "

What do you like best?

The software is easy to use, straightforward, and simple.

What do you dislike?

The support team takes a while to get back with you and there are too many workarounds with the latest upgrade.

I most recently used Lectora Publisher to write eLearning as a learning consultant for a health and safety team. I found Lectora ReviewLink beneficial to share my updated work with the client.

Lectora Inspire review by User in Biotechnology
User in Biotechnology

"Lectora v12"

What do you like best?

The application has many new time saving coding wizards

What do you dislike?

I still do not like the ribbon toolbar.

To many clicks are required to access functionality

The need to develop engaging learning for professional adults. Training is driven by government regulations and the engagement is required because busy professionals do not like boring learning.

Lectora Inspire review by Internal Consultant in Writing and Editing
Internal Consultant in Writing and Editing

"Lectora is clunky and did not easily support agile-friendly development"

What do you like best?

It allows for a lot of customization. It has an online version.

What do you dislike?

It has a very steep learning curve. At that point, learning to code might be better.

N/A

Learning about Lectora Inspire?

* We monitor all Lectora Inspire reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.