Lexis Advance®

Lexis Advance® allows primary researchers within the legal and professional organizations to easily and efficiently find highly relevant information.

Work for Lexis Advance®?

Learning about Lexis Advance®?

Lexis Advance® Reviews

Ask Lexis Advance® a Question
Showing 93 Lexis Advance® reviews
Lexis Advance® review by <span>Catherine C.</span>
Catherine C.

"Linked Citations Invaluable"

What do you like best?

The main reason I use Lexis over Westlaw is that it allows me to copy citations as hyperlinks. The ability to clink to a link and see exactly where I have cited something will prove to be more only more useful as print works are faded out.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you cannot change the fact that both reporters are automatically selected when copying an item. Having to constantly selected advanced copy and then deselect all but the national reporter is such a pain. More overall settings that would allow for a personalized experienced would be appreciated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it for the hyperlink options.

I am using it to complete constitutional law research memo's this summer. I enjoy utilizing the many options available to find relevant cases and the copy cite as a hyperlink is essential to my work.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Lexis Advance®
Lexis Advance® review by <span>Nancy R. E.</span>
Nancy R. E.

"Love Lexis for Legal Research and much more!"

What do you like best?

Lexis has great legal research features that make finding relevant case law efficient. The new Advance Smart Filter also helps narrow results to what is on point.

Their additional resources for locating information on people, incl addresses and past background, is also a useful tool for a litigator. I often use these tools when writing briefs, researching case law, litigating and preparing probate estate documents (as current addresses for potential parties or heirs may be hard to find).

What do you dislike?

The subscription fees are a bit higher than I would like. It seems especially pricey for new lawyers who are just starting out with their own practice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize their free trial option and connect with customer service before buying. Using the free trial gives you a great chance to try and compare to other legal research products. Customer Service Reps can also help you find deals that may not be online.

Efficient and effective case research means I spend less time and can get my clients better, faster results.

What Legal Research solution do you use?

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Dmitriy G.</span>
Dmitriy G.

"Decent product, needs more work"

What do you like best?

I like the customization features on lexisNexis. You can change up the home page buttons, and change the order that certain things are presented. It also has a new system of highlighting and giving case summaries on the search terms page that allows you to quickly look at the case without individually clicking on it.

What do you dislike?

Often it has too much going on and appears overwhelming - i like simplicity. Also, if you highlight something from a case, it makes it hard to save unless you take extra steps. Also, it has less case law and other documents, especially for Washington, when stacked up against its main competitor Westlaw.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep using the product, it gets better over time. I think that in a few years, LexisAdvance will pass Westlaw. Hopefully you will have the price locked down at that point.

I research legal issues. Found it helpful because it has decent legislative history.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Lisa R.</span>
Lisa R.

"So close to perfect! Nearly all the public data you could want, easy to find, easy to use. "

What do you like best?

This product is amazing - an oldie but a goodie. I love the easy search functions and the ability to continue to iterate on a single search until you find the information you're looking for. It's a wonderful, intuitive tool to inform research.

What do you dislike?

They just launched a "new and improved" user experience and I don't love it. I'm sure I will change my mind as I acclimate to the change. But, for now, I miss the old-school familiarity of the previous UX design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the basis of my prospect discovery and evaluation work; I highly recommend this tool for prospect research and evaluation.

Lexis Nexis Public records are central to my work in prospect research; I used it to confirm contact information as well as inform wealth assessments. I can't imagine doing my job without this info!

Lexis Advance® review by User

"Great search engine with relevant results"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the wide variety of sources the engine pulls from to provide a good array of search results. I also enjoy the ease of use.

What do you dislike?

I don't enjoy having to log into the account each time that I get on. It doesn't stay logged on. There have been times that I have lost results that I tried to save because the engine wasn't signed on and didn't notify me. I with that there was a tutorial to help new users learn the trade quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I strongly recommend at least considering this software to do research and literature reviews.

Lexis Advance is a great search engine to use for people doing research and/or literature reviews as a part of their job. It allows for very specific searches on specific topics and provides results from many different places. Once you learn more about the ways to manipulate the search (i.e. searching for words within a certain proximity of each other, excluding some words, etc...), it becomes a useful tool to find needed information.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Jason R.</span>
Jason R.

"It's less expensive than WestLaw, but it's definitely less expensive for a reason"

What do you like best?

If you're trying to get into case law, Lexis will do just fine and in fact the Shepherdize function is probably equal or superior to WestLaw.

What do you dislike?

If you're trying to search for statutory or published regulatory materials, it is impossibly difficult to find any way to navigate them by hand from the main menu. You have to search and then use that search to open up a result and then use that result to navigate out to the tree. Really unnecessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pick Lexis for Sheperdizing, searching for case law, and probably not much else. If the costs were equal we'd be WestLaw subscribers for sure.

Solves a legal research need, but I'm not sure at this point that it's any better than the FastCase product that we can get through our state bar association for free.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Eddie P.</span>
Eddie P.

"LexisNexis Public Records Gives Us the Necessary Insight in to Potential Partners"

What do you like best?

As as Lexis Advance user already, I like the fact that we can use one platform/product to do background research and conduct risk analysis on partners.

What do you dislike?

At times, the data returned does not always appear to be accurate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd try to get a free evaluation of the product and try running thru a few checks to see if it returns the type of data you are looking to gather before purchasing. It may be enough data or not depending on your use case.

We needed the ability to conduct checks to verify home ownership. LexisNexis Public Records allows us to quickly search property records to verify if a customer owns their home. It also allows us to get vital information for companies we may want to do business with in the future.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Courtney Alise L.</span>
Courtney Alise L.

"Tried and True"

What do you like best?

This is the legal research system I have become most comfortable with after trying Bloomsberg and WestLaw. I appreciate the search features, feel comfortable sorting documents into files and client folders, and the ease of the search shortcuts.

What do you dislike?

The printing process can be a bit obnoxious. It just requires a lot of different steps and seems like it could be more stream-lined

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always consider what works best for you before deciding on a research forum. This just happens to be my personal favorite.

Lexis Advance has allowed me to perform legal research for the large variety of cases that come through our office with ease. Using the shepardizing feature, we have been able to find case law we never would have found through simple searches.

"Efficient"

What do you like best?

I like that you can you use searchs to search through a judge's docket. For example, if I wanted to search for a Motion to Dismiss Order in a trademark infringement case by a specific judge, I can just select the judge, then type in my search terms.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that when clicking in the "dockets" of the Litigation Profile Suite tool, you can't click on the docket entry number to open the brief. You would need to either search for that docket under the "briefs, pleadings, and motions" tab or have to search for the case on PACER.

The quickness and efficiency of Lexis Advance is the biggest benefit. Prior to using Lexis Advance, it would take a long time to try finding the case I need through either Google or Law360. I now save a lot of time since Lexis Advance shows me the search results that I need right away, rather than having to click through pages of Google/Law360 results.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Fund-Raising
User in Fund-Raising

"We used Lexis Nexis public record to get any title property searches or police reports"

What do you like best?

I like that I could find any file with a basic case number search. Additionally, I have been using Lexis Nexis for almost 2 years, and it has been extremely helpful when I am trying to find title searches on property. I can find what I am looking for with a basic search. Furthermore, the customer service aspect of Lexis is extremely helpful when I am struggling with a search.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes Lexis nexis doesnt really narrow my search. It can be frustrating when I get 10,000 hits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although it is expensive to have this service, it makes job so much easier because of the ease of access. Additionally, it makes title searches, police reports, background checks, so much more efficient.

In the firm we would use Lexis Nexis to search for police records and property title searches. Additionally, sometimes it helps to check out if a case has been tried yet. It also helps to look into whether someone has a misdeamenor or a felony.

User in Law Practice

"I love using Lexis Advance"

What do you like best?

It is very comprehensive and offers all the information I need in order to do my cases efficiently. I know I'll always find reliable information there and it is the gold standard in legal research. I can access it from anywhere and it is constantly being updated so the information is fresh and reliable. I haven't had any issues with accessing the site which is great. I also like that I can find the information I need pretty fast.

What do you dislike?

The price plans do tend to go up yearly so you have to really prepare for that. If you budget for it though, it works out well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you work closely with your rep to see what discounts are available to you. If you are just out of law school, they do offer a big discount when you first join.

It allows me to get reliable legal research and information for my cases. I've been able to find things very quickly so it helps move my cases right along an get the resolution my clients are looking for very fast.

User in Legal Services

"Extremely useful research tool."

What do you like best?

I like that Lexis gives me a wealth of information that presently and previously pertained to the individual or asset that I am researching in a format that is easy to move around in via section links. I appreciate that it gives me possible associates, which can be important in determining whether the individual is the correct person.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the options you are required to select to complete a search (i.e. GLBA compliance option) do not have a pop up link to help with selecting the correct option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this product to anybody that needs to do research on assets or is attempting to locate someone's contact information. I have been very successful in locating the assets as needed in relation to litigation.

I am able to use Lexis Public Records Search as a jumping off point in an assets search. I am able to find potential contact information for someone for which I currently have invalid contact information. I can see a general criminal history if that is relevant to my needs for a case.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Philanthropy
User in Philanthropy

"Great resource for research"

What do you like best?

I like the wide variety of resources I can access through LexisNexis Public Records. It's good for research on both businesses and people and saves me time, because I don't have to go to a whole bunch of places. It's not my end-all, I still use other tools, but it's a very valuable resource tool for me. The information is general accurate (though not always current) and is a good place to start off or to verify information.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I can't find the exact person or business I need--or the information I want. The records aren't always accurate in the sense that they are not always current, but that's not LexiNexis' fault, they give you the most current info they have. Some people are better at hiding their information than others.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While for me this is not the end-all, it is a valuable part of my arsenal of research tools and has helped me in a wide variety of situations. The information is generally accurate, though not always current (check dates), but is a very good source, especially for confirmation.

LexisNexis Public Records is a research time saver because it pulls together a number of sources in one place.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Higher Education

"Lexis Nexis is where I go for Legal Research"

What do you like best?

The platform is easy to use, and intuitive. I appreciate the customer service help as well. It also has many other features that help me ensure that my end work product or brief meets citation standards. I also like that the transactional section is drafted by lawyers who practice in the fields. The fillable forms are amazing! You can download them and use them for your work. They are jurisdiction specific which is even better! Lastly the public records search is very useful.

What do you dislike?

I think Lexis Nexis has everything that is necessary for my legal research needs. I am very happy with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very user friendly compared to the competitors!

I solve complex legal issues regularly and I use Lexis Advance to research case laws, statutes, recent news articles on hot legal topics, etc.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Thomas S.</span>
Thomas S.

"Online Legal Research Revamped"

What do you like best?

The biggest change with Lexis Advance Quicklaw is stylistic and in that sense they've done a good job at modernizing the tool. It has a clean and sleek look which is a huge improvement over the previous version which was looking dated with its microscopic font sizes. It has the same expansive set of resources. One of the most useful is the Halsbury's Laws of Canada which covers every topic imaginable and is usually right up to date.

What do you dislike?

When you first open it up, unless you know what resources are available to you, it may not be readily apparent. For example, if you're coming from Westlaw and are used to having access to the CED you might not know you should be looking for Halsbury as the equivalent. Also, while the Halsbury is a great resource, it's difficult to find a full table of contents to navigate through and you are instead required to sort through search results. Having some sort of snapshot summary of popular resources in your plan available would be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's limited paid legal research services available. Best bet is to get a trial run of both Westlaw and Quicklaw and see which you prefer. If possible, try relying on CanLII to start and see if that satisfies your needs.

The paid legal research tools are becoming less relevant as free services such as CanLII improve and with courts ensuring all their decisions are published electronically. Generally you're not going to find too many new decisions on Quicklaw that aren't available elsewhere. That being said, our firm still believes it's essential to for any practice involved in serious legal research to have a service such as Quicklaw. Quicklaw helps us easily access a large volume of top-notch resources without having to leave our office.

User in Legal Services

"Not as intuitive as WestLaw"

What do you like best?

I like the "Get A Document" button which makes it clear where to directly zoom to a document instead of doing a general search. However, there is very little I like about Lexis.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the search function enormously. It is difficult to find a case or book even if you have the full citation already. The search results are organized in a test-heavy, non-intuitive way, and it is difficult to search different types of materials (like statutes and law review articles) at the same time.

We use Lexis to perform case research for cases on trial and appeal. When you are very specific about what you are looking for, Lexis provides the benefit of offering the original case text rather than unreliable online sources.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Financial Services

"Personal Favorite Legal Research Database"

What do you like best?

The homepage features a clean layout that you can dive deep into depending on topic, jurisdiction, or type of document you’re seeking - or a combination of all of them. Inside the search tool you can drill down further but the homepage is a great launching pad. I like the history and folder sections that highlight my search history and personalized folders that I use to organize research. Great when you’re managing both work and school under one login. The topic summaries are great as well to give a big picture; it’s helpful for students just starting out

What do you dislike?

Wish the search narrowing tools were closer to the homepage or accessible from the main frame. It’d also be helpful if the practice advisor information was more integrated into the remainder of the material. Like when reading a criminal complaint from a case the corresponding response and complaint forms from practice advisor could pop up on the side

Reduced time researching especially as you get comfortable searching with advanced search assistors

"Great research tool!"

What do you like best?

The data is easy to get, it's always up to date and mostly accurate. Saves me time! Also with all of the output in one place I don't need to go through a variety of tabs to get my data. It;s also easy to save data to my computer which is super helpful

What do you dislike?

It is not pretty or user friendly. The output could be more streamlined so that it reads in an easier way (if that makes sense). Since it's legal, it would be great to have a function where you tell LN what your agenda is in looking up data (settlement, crimes, etc.) and it could tailor that information in an easy to read doc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The interface is kind of easy to use, but the output can be a little choppy. The info is usually pretty accurate, but you still need to cross check with other databases for accuracy. I've found some instances where the data was old and inaccurate (I didn't know and used to to my detriment).

Generally, looking up people or companies to check net values, assets. This helps in knowing how much they can settle for. Also, looking up unlisted information like addresses, aliases, etc. that could help in verifying a person's authenticity.

User in Law Practice

"Excellent Value and Services"

What do you like best?

LexisNexis is easily maneuvered and has all of the relevant legal information necessary for thorough legal research in any area of the law. I also really liked that LexisNexis has an application that can be synced to your personal Lexis account. This allows you to use the application on mobile devices like cell phones and tablets, without the need of opening a browser. The application really makes Lexis stand apart from the others.

What do you dislike?

Although the price is a little costly, it's well worth the services and comparable to other legal research software available on the market. Unlike the others, however, LexisNexis provides a concise and succinct experience that allows me to find information quickly and accurately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

LexisNexis is really the software to go with when looking for something that's cost-effective, has a variety of different plans, and meets the needs of those conducting frequent legal research.

Through LexisNexis I am able to really find both broad and specific legal information. I have had excellent luck sorting through different categories, jurisdictions, and even finding alternative information based on the legal research I am conducting.

User in Law Practice

"Very helpful in locating basic information"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, simplicity, ability to pull data from public record for all 50 states.

What do you dislike?

While it lists the offenses in criminal charges, it would be great if there was a direct link to the statute that was violated (instead of me having to google it). Also, keep in mind that the "associated parties" may NOT be related to the individual you're searching-- it's just a possibility. It gets it right probably 70% of the time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To make sure you get complete search results, you need to use at least two pieces of information-- names, addresses, states, phone numbers. Without at least some information other than the name, you'll be digging through records for a bit. Remember that social media searches are not integrated into this search. That is a separate fee. Also, remember that the pricing will depend on your firm's plan-- you may have to pay per record pulled, and that gets expensive! Make sure you've checked with your form admin on this.

It makes it easy to run the checks you need on folks, and provides the information in a clear manner.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Broadcast Media
User in Broadcast Media

"Quick and Efficient "

What do you like best?

The software itself is simple , and easy to learn . Provides accurate and up to date results on a person’s public record . The more information you have on a person I.e full name , D.O.B, location , the more likely you are to find their public record . Depending on the level of access you have the public record will reveal education , current address , phone number , relatives information , criminal history , financial history (I.e tax liens, judgments, bankruptcies)

What do you dislike?

If you do not have enough information on the person you are researching (i.e only a name but no location or D.O.B) it is more difficult to find their public record .

Helps to gain access with up to date contact information with potential alumni donors . Verifies current information we have on file .

"Ease of use"

What do you like best?

Lexis Advance is much easier to use than the old Lexis Nexis I learned to use in law school. It makes finding exactly what you need much simpler.

What do you dislike?

So far, I have not found anything I dislike about the program. It is much easier than the old Lexis I studied in law school.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It takes the guess work out of running searches. Before, I used to have to remember the correct order and style for searches and Lexis Advance makes it much easier.

We use Lexis to check statutory law and also to see how courts have interpreted Virginia statutes as it plays into how we draft our legislation.

User in Legal Services

"Easy to use...as long as you have enough information"

What do you like best?

The whole suite is pretty easy to use. Just enter the information that you know and start sorting through both people and businesses.

What do you dislike?

If you don't have enough information it can be nearly impossible to narrow down your search, particularly if the person has a common name.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend it. It's pretty easy to use, but I don't know the cost.

I use this to look up potential defendants' addresses, business information, and basic financial background information. I can also use it to look us potential clients' information to see if there's anything that stands out as a red flag.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Keith M.</span>
Keith M.

"Law students perspective "

What do you like best?

The Search term color mapping helps evaluate what resources are likely to provide the information I’m looking for.

What do you dislike?

Navigation through table of contents and statutory searches get lost in a web of resources I don’t need.

Research takes a fraction of the time and organization with the folders helps keep topics in easy to locate places.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Internet

"Okay"

What do you like best?

I mostly used the site to find information on businesses and people so that they could be named in legal matters.

What do you dislike?

There is so much on the site- it's a little overwhelming. We got a demonstration of the features when we received the product, but it was just too much to remember. Additionally, my access to certain features on the site was terminated in error after a site update. I had to call to request access again even though it was included in what my firm paid for.

Mostly locating people and businesses to be named in legal matters.

Lexis Advance® review by User

"not as good as westlaw"

What do you like best?

The best thing about lexis advance compared to westlaw is that if it times out/automatically logs out when you have multiple tabs open, it remembers which cases you were looking at. you often lose this information with westlaw.

What do you dislike?

The search functionality for is not as good as it could be. It is difficult to just search a list of sources or pull up a statute.

Lexis advance is primarily useful for accessing sources not available on Westlaw. It is very useful in this regard when doing legal research.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Ishtiaque H.</span>
Ishtiaque H.

"best technical case finder "

What do you like best?

interface is pretty easy with custom selection

What do you dislike?

Pretty hard to figure out options first

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its good but there may be other better, please compare pricing as it would be more fruitful

case problems, more adequate results than west law, but a bit hard interface compared to other engines.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Jesse K.</span>
Jesse K.

"Research like a pro!"

What do you like best?

Cutting-edge technology aimed to facilitate legal research. The ability to search using keywords or case names saves time. I also really enjoy their support website and the geeky jobs included - definitely seen a few Hogwarts references.

What do you dislike?

I enjoy using LexisNexis, nothing negative to report. Sometimes all of the color red on the website tires my eyes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Using this research tool has allowed me to be a more successful researcher.

All of the search options allow me to quickly access case law and perform Shepardizing as well as continue a search regarding a specific topic. I use the internal folders to save searches and enjoy using this product.

"I miss old Lexis"

What do you like best?

There is very little that I like about this product, honestly I cannot think of anything other than the advanced people search option.

What do you dislike?

About a year or so ago, I was forced into Lexis advance. I held out and used the old Lexis until that was no longer an option. This version of Lexis is pretty much like a google search, and often a google search gets better results. For those of us who are used to using terms and connectors it's a nightmare. The data bases are also not organized in ways that are user friendly. I just want old Lexis back. I wish they would give an option for us to use that.

Legal research.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Raymond T.</span>
Raymond T.

"I use lexis research for legal and academic research "

What do you like best?

Easy to use, customizable - has many great features like shepherdizing, litigation suite, and other helpful videos to teach users how to use the system.

What do you dislike?

It is a lot - if you are used to other systems, some steps may seem redundant and unnecessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider what your needs are and how you want to filter your results. The more knowledgeable you are on your topic, or where you are going, the better.

Mainly used for research on specific topics - headnotes are great for narrowing in on issues, and features like shepherdizing allow you to trace the history of an issue or topic.

Lexis Advance® review by User

"Easy to use and great customer service."

What do you like best?

My favorite is the ease of use. Since I'm still a student I get daily points when I do my research and can apply those points for cool things. This is a great incentive to use Lexis for daily research and to attend the in-person trainings when offered in the classrooms.

What do you dislike?

So far haven't found anything to complain about.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and decide for yourself

There are always problems to solve with Lexis. Endless benefits.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Brian M.</span>
Brian M.

"Much Improved over prior versions"

What do you like best?

The natural language search functionality is excellent.

What do you dislike?

It seems that I cannot print/save to a pdf with out my name being stamped on every document.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Switching from Westlaw is difficult and I lost all of my favorites.

It was a cost saving over Westlaw for our research needs.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>J. Peter P.</span>
J. Peter P.

"poor customer service"

What do you like best?

range of services and customization for a small firm practicing IP

What do you dislike?

Our firm moved away from litigation and we no longer required LexisNexis for legal research purposes. We tried to contact our representative regarding our services and reworking the contract since we no longer used the services. The customer rep never got back to us and we served with collection letters and lawsuit when attempting to renegotiate the contract.

standard litigation research services for intellectual property due diligence and pre-filing investigations

"Clunky database access"

What do you like best?

Lexis Advance Public Records gives the best public-records bang for your buck I've seen. It's a low-cost alternative to hiring an investigator who will charge you $500/hour to run the same databases Lexis has.

What do you dislike?

Legal research is always a joy, but Lexis steals some of my sunshine by making the databases extremely cumbersome to select and narrow down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get Westlaw.

Ability to use my clients' legal research software instead of having to carry the expense of my own research software

"Intuitive and Easy"

What do you like best?

I like that Lexis makes it quite easy to run searches using natural language and also gives you ideas for what else you could add to your research. The plan that we have with Lexis allows us to run as many searches as needed in order to refine our search results.

What do you dislike?

there are some resources that are simply unavailable on Lexis, e.g., McCarthy on Trademarks. This is often very frustrating because I like starting my legal research with secondary sources, particularly if a partner tells me to use McCarthy's but it is then unavailable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Become familiar with all of Lexis' functionalities.

Easy to find related topics and rules of law that I may have missed when doing my original legal research.

User in Legal Services

"Research search-engine for law"

What do you like best?

Lexis is great for finding the cases you need. It also has the doctrinal summaries and secondary sources that you would expect. The main competitor of course is Westlaw. The shepardizing function is great. I have to say the customer service is great.

What do you dislike?

I prefer Westlaw. Lexis is harder to search on, and I like Westlaws searching with terms. I also slightly prefer the interface of Westlaw

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely see whether Westlaw offers more for a better price before switching over. You may want to make the switch on a jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis.

The biggest business problem I'm solving is being able to easily and quickly access cases. When you're in the middle of a trial, and you need a particular case, Lexis has your back.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Alexandra C. E.</span>
Alexandra C. E.

"Would recommend LexisNexis Legal Research "

What do you like best?

Easy to use, simple interface, easy to navigate between pages and cases.

What do you dislike?

Military law and other specific aspects of law can be difficult to find or use.

We use it to research legal issues and save time doing research and finding case law.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Kristina B.</span>
Kristina B.

"Excellent Resource"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity of Lexis for case research.

What do you dislike?

If you do not know how to properly type search terms, it can be difficult to weed through cases to find what you need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lexis works great if you understand proper search terms and legal verbiage to get the desired case law results.

We are able to find case law that relates to our current cases within the law firm.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Renewables & Environment
User in Renewables & Environment

"One of the best options for legal research"

What do you like best?

LexisNexis has improved their database significantly in recent years to create a competitive product in comparison to Westlaw. Some of the best features are easy to use interface and natural language search. Good coverage of case law.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was better coverage of statutory sources and secondary sources. It is much easier to find statutes in other databases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have been using Lexis from 2010 to 2015, and the company has significantly improved over the years, but the product is more suitable for larger law firms given the pricing. I mostly rely on lower cost and free products having a small practice.

I used Lexis for my legal research needs, it is an effective tool for doing research on a specific legal issue or preparing materials for the client.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Lisa S.</span>
Lisa S.

"I miss LexisNexis and wish we hadn't switched to Westlaw"

What do you like best?

For someone comfortable with legal searches using commands like /p or /25, Lexis Nexis is a better search engine that enables you to search more precisely and narrow down your findings faster. I also find Sheppards more reliable than Westlaw's KeyCite and easier to navigate. On a purely aesthetic level, Lexis's website and the way information was presented was easier to read for me than Westlaw.

What do you dislike?

For natural language searches, Westlaw Next is easier to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Better support and easier readability for the website than Westlaw. Slightly harder to use for natural language searches but far superior for advanced searches if you have a better idea of what you are looking for. And I'll always prefer Sheppards to KeyCite--It's more reliable and seems to be updated faster than KeyCite.

We used it to do legal research-- I work at a law firm and we can't do our jobs without some kind of legal search software. Lexis was what I preferred.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Higher Education

"great tool for legal research for your legal firm"

What do you like best?

I do like the shephardizing feature of lexis, which other providers do not have, the summaries of cases seem to be very accurate, which is a total time saver for lawyers like myself when doing research on legal issues for clients.

What do you dislike?

The search function is a little limited, sometimes it is "dumb"; and merely searches key words in cases but does not look at the words in context of the legal case, which can be difficult when research cases for clients.

I have used lexis advance for researching client legal issues, and it's legal summaries are helpful when resolving client legal matters in a speedy way.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Thomas F.</span>
Thomas F.

"Have used off and on for 20 years"

What do you like best?

Its search engine is fairly user-friendly. Their databases are comprehensive.

What do you dislike?

It can get very expensive. However, the reality is that they will compete very strongly with Westlaw.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Lexis or Westlaw. I like Lexis' public records databases much better.

If you're not using Lexis or Westlaw, you're likely going to miss something. Additionally, the speed to research on Lexis is much better than the free legal databases provided by the bar associations.

User in Entertainment

"Comprehensive Records With Vast Coverage But High Price"

What do you like best?

I like that Lexis provides access to hard to find records all in one place. Having everything centralized in one location saves a lot of time, and their coverage is extremely broad.

What do you dislike?

The price is the main drawback. It would be ideal if they had some sort of tiered, bulk, or non profit pricing which in unaware of if they do. As records are hard to locate they charge a premium for being one of the only providers which makes it often cost prohibitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try using google for free alternatives.

Tracking down hard to locate or unknown individuals and nvestigations for civil lawsuits namely related to service of process.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Brittany W.</span>
Brittany W.

"Lexis Advance "

What do you like best?

I love the user friendly face and the reward system

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the search bar is confusing because its hard to find the specifics

finding case law and state law

User in Law Practice

"Too expensive for value"

What do you like best?

I really don't like anything about it. I'm waiting for my contract to expire in 2 years so I can cancel.

What do you dislike?

The cost is very expensive. They attempt to get you to sign up for lengthy contracts at a small rate the first year and then jack up the price 4x fold by the end of the contract. There is no attempt by account reps to ever contact you about the service. I had 3 different representatives in 2 years and I never even knew it until I called the person I thought was my representative. Very bad customer service. I can get what I need usually just from an online search or my county's local bar association.

None.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Melanie N. A.</span>
Melanie N. A.

"Advance has a cleaner format than the classic."

What do you like best?

I like that the format is easier to navigate than the original Lexis Classic.

What do you dislike?

I was used to the Lexis Classic which had some features that I believe are no longer available on Advance. For example, searching on Classic had a tab that would suggest search terms for you and I believe Advance does not have that function.

Faster legal research from the comfort of my office rather than having to go to the law library.

"Easy researching"

What do you like best?

LexisNexis has easy-to-use search functions, and while the Shepardizing system has flaws, it is useful for checking the currentness of cases. The language searching on Lexis is also a great perk.

What do you dislike?

Lexis does not have as comprehensive of a law checking system as Westlaw. Shepardizing is useful, but it is not as intuitive as KeyCite.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of any training tools. Again, the Shepardize system is not as intuitive as I would like it to be.

LexisNexis allowed me to solve legal research problems, review case statuses, and find more resources when completing projects for class and for legislative actions.

User in Law Practice

"Lexis provides excellent research capabilities."

What do you like best?

I really like that the drop down menu allows you to easily access information that is applicable to only your area of need. Also, the new active passages feature is really great. It allows to find similar passages in other cases in your jurisdiction that are extremely applicable and helpful to your current research. The printing on Lexis Nexis is also very easy to use. It allows you to print only what you need by selecting from several options in check box format. For someone who's not extremely computer friendly that helps a great deal. One further strong point is the history function on Lexis. When I forget to print a case or am just looking for something I recently saw it is very easy to go through the history, find a specific client, and see all cases and information I viewed in relation to them.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the software can have glitches. On multiple occasions I have been unable to deselect a research type even thought the box is not marked. In such cases it will not return the proper information and it was not even remedied by restarting my entire system. Also, the software does not properly warn you before downloading additional information not on your payment plan in certain instances.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very intuitive once you have a trial run on it. Just give it a try and see what it can do.

My role is primarily legal research. Lexis Nexis allows me to do this in a time efficient manner.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Morgan J.</span>
Morgan J.

"West Law Key Cite is better than Shep’s but I ♥️Printing"

What do you like best?

Lexis allows for free printing which is great. Other tools like litigation profiles are also cool...

What do you dislike?

West is just more practical and has a “cleaner” layout. West KeyCite makes more sense to me than Shepard’s and I get the vibe from colleagues that this is the case.

I have to do legal research, and the printing ability makes it nice.

Lexis Advance® review by Administrator in Law Practice
Administrator in Law Practice

"Efficient way to find records"

What do you like best?

The software interface is easy to use and Lexis can often figure out what I am looking for even if I don't have the exact information.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes hard to find the most relevant search codes to be able to locate who we are looking for - but we usually can do it.

Lexis Nexis public records helped save us money but allowing us to do our own searches instead of having to use another company to provide the searches. We also found that we had much more control with the results when we were controlling the search.

"Lexis Research Review"

What do you like best?

I like that fact that LexisNexis research is easier than some other programs to search. The terms and connector searches and common word searches return more results than programs like WestLaw.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the interface of LexisNexis. It is difficult to find the items you are looking for and it's "clunky". It could use an upgrade for the basic research version.;

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's better than the books. I love book research, but having the law at your fingertips cannot be beat.

Research, research, research. My office does civil litigation which requires hours of researching law. Any time I can find what I am looking for in a timely manner I can move on to a new topic and keep my work flow going.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Tamara S.</span>
Tamara S.

"Excellent site"

What do you like best?

I can almost always find what I need through a Lexis Nexis search. Very thorough. Usually if I can't find something it's user error or the record didn't exist.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. It can be visually overwhelming until you get used to knowing what you're looking at/for.

Employment verifications for self employed clients. Name validation. Data Integrity.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Jazmin S.</span>
Jazmin S.

"A step up from classic Lexis!"

What do you like best?

It takes the work out of searching, and makes it much easier. The layout is much easier to navigate than the old Lexis.

What do you dislike?

I don't like some of the pricing restrictions and it is still

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Shephard's feature is great.

I'm able to quickly conduct research and have access to just about anything I could need for my cases.

User in Law Practice

"Rewards points are the best"

What do you like best?

I like getting rewards for doing research. Great incentive!

What do you dislike?

I think it is a bit more difficult to use than Westlaw. Westlaw is just intuitive to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it as much as you can because it pays off to research with Lexis Advance :)

Researching case law

Lexis Advance® review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Good product for legal research "

What do you like best?

It is easy to use from a broad range of experiences from our interns to our full staff.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about the program. Maybe the downloading process can be faster to a desktop but nothing that would hinder to program

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you enjoy the books of this organization then I would recommend this to you it worth the higher pricing.

Manly used to research case precedent and law to support our case. A person who is acting Pro se can even use the program without too much trouble

Lexis Advance® review by User in Higher Education

"Great research product for legal"

What do you like best?

I can find any case and the Sheppardize feature is amazing for finding cases for my briefs

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the key cite feature of lexis is confusing bc westlaw uses stop signs and you have to try to remember which is which if you frequently switch between them

Legal research and writing

User in Law Practice

"LexisNexis is a highly useful legal research tool "

What do you like best?

Ease of use & being able to use it on the go

What do you dislike?

I think that their pricing can be a bit high especially if you work independently or for a smaller size firm and only need it for one or two people.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great legal research tool, I highly recommend!

Being able to perform legal research and search laws and statutes without having every law or state law book on hand. Makes it easy to perform legal research or look up a statute while you are out of the office.

User in Law Practice

"Lexis - Decent for legal research "

What do you like best?

The main thing that's good about Lexis is that it's much more affordable compared to Westlaw.

What do you dislike?

The main problem is that the layout isn't as intuitive and citations that lexis uses aren't as common.

Main benefits I'm solving are being able to research legal issues quickly and efficiently at a more affordable price point.

User in Entertainment

"Lexis: Decent Legal Research Database"

What do you like best?

Lexis is very comprehensive and has good tools, such as "shepardizing" to locate sources.

What do you dislike?

I find that Lexis is not as intuitive as other legal research databases.

I am able to research legal issues and provide my employer with relevant case law.

"Lexis Nexis is easy"

What do you like best?

Lexis is a super easy platform to use. They provide on call lawyers to help you and provide excellent customer service.

What do you dislike?

The search connectors are a little complex, but if you keep a list of them nearby, you'll be okay.

Legal research

User in Law Practice

"Good Research for a Decent Price"

What do you like best?

Lexis provides a good variety of research tools.

What do you dislike?

The price. There are some months that I don’t use the service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They offer good pricing, especially for solos who are just starting out.

I make sure that I have the most current research for my cases.

Lexis Advance® review by User

"I like LexisNexis for legal research. "

What do you like best?

I like that you are able to earn rewards. I find the interface easier to navigate than Westlaw.

What do you dislike?

It can be difficult to learn how to use the search function the best to get the results I am looking for to appear first, which is helpful when there are a lot of results to comb through.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You might want to try out this versus Westlaw and Bloomberg. People seem to have a strong preference toward one and not the other.

I am doing Legal Research and am able to look things up and learn the relevant case law.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Sugandhi  S.</span>
Sugandhi S.

"Use for research"

What do you like best?

Very easy to navigate and really like the option to Shephardize.

What do you dislike?

I am unable to find all the cases that I want to find.

Used it mostly for research purposes. Also used it at times to brief cases.

User in Law Practice

"A User-Friendly Version of Lexis for Basic Research Needs"

What do you like best?

The platform is easy to navigate. I've been using it for almost one year and it is good for basic research.

What do you dislike?

The platform is not always as precise as needed.

I use Lexis Advance for most of my research.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Kinza K.</span>
Kinza K.

"Easy interface"

What do you like best?

The simple design and the folders make it easy to organize information

What do you dislike?

On the left side sometimes the filters get cleared before you want them to!

Mostly benefits, because it's simple and minimal design.

Lexis Advance® review by Internal Consultant in Law Practice
Internal Consultant in Law Practice

"Easy to use, best results "

What do you like best?

How I can quickly find something with one or two search terms that will lead me to another resource.

Shepardizing is key and very helpful

What do you dislike?

Might just be me but I haven't figured out how to default my settings to only search in my preferred jurisdictions

Research

User in Legal Services

"Lexis is a great research tool"

What do you like best?

I liked the search engine better than WestLaw. I miss Lexis.

What do you dislike?

Westlaw had better research attorneys. But I could still get great answers when using the right search terms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Decide how important sign the research attorneys are before switching

I have been able to access briefs and legal memos. So I could have a great template to get me started on writing my briefs/

Lexis Advance® review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Always My First Public Records Search "

What do you like best?

For the past ten years, LexisNexis Public Records has been my first stop when I need public records related to litigation. If this fails, you probably need a private investigator and/or a subpoena.

What do you dislike?

This tool has everything it can feasibly (lawfully?) have, so there is little to dislike if you accept it can't have *everything*

Recommendations to others considering the product

As stated previously, this tool is a great first stop.

Litigation-related.

Lexis Advance® review by <span>Katelynn B.</span>
Katelynn B.

"Legal Research"

What do you like best?

LexisNexis is very easy to use and I like the search terms and connectors

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes difficult to locate specific statutes

Ease of legal research

User in Legal Services

"Lexis Advance always has and continues to meet the needs of our small law firm."

What do you like best?

Searching is simple and intuitive. I love the Timeline and "Search Within Results" function. This is the simplest and fastest way to get the results I want and need after entering search terms.

What do you dislike?

I cannot think of anything I dislike about the latest version of Lexis Advance. It meets all our small firm's needs.

We quickly and easily obtain the research (case law) results we want and need.

"Helpful tool in liti"

What do you like best?

Can find certain records after just a few clicks!

What do you dislike?

Sign in process and app on our phones/ipads

Can easily find properties clients names are on.

"Points and printing"

What do you like best?

I use Lexis because of the points and free printing

What do you dislike?

I don’t think the searches are as good as Westlaw

Legal research

User in Law Practice

"My favorite legal search engine!"

What do you like best?

The ability to search all case law, legislative, and secondary materials using a single toolbar.

What do you dislike?

It was a little harder to select the sources you want to search within compared to the old Lexis platform, but after a few uses, it was easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lexis Advance has a lot of features to help you streamline and organize your legal research needs!

Accessing legal authority in all 50 states. Streamlining legal research.

User in Legal Services

"Prefer Lexis Nexus over Westlaw"

What do you like best?

I feel like it does a very thorough search and I also like the presentation when converted to a pdf file.

What do you dislike?

I think it could weed out old addresses better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great support is provided while you are getting to know the product.

We are using LN to search for defendants to complete the serving process when filing a civil suit.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Legal research"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and has many good features to research case law, statutes, regulations, and secondary sources.

What do you dislike?

It is sometimes difficult to toggle between pages.

I have found relevant case law and statutes related to particular issues I research.

"Lexis is helpful"

What do you like best?

the advanced search tools are user friendly

What do you dislike?

sometimes hard to find legislative history or citing cases

legal research

"LexisNexis is great"

What do you like best?

We like the ease of use for all our legal searching needs.

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind when asking about LexisNexis' disadvantages.

Legal research is one of the key elements of our supporting our practice; this platform makes it easy and efficient to find the information we need when we need it.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Computer Software

"Easy and insightful "

What do you like best?

I like the different search functions and how detailed the results are.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the color scheme and think it could be a little more updated looking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don’t waste time looking, just sign up with Lexisnexis

I notice fed it saves much time searching and does not freeze often.

User in Law Practice

"I've used Lexis Advanced since my 1st year of law school, and now, nearly every day "

What do you like best?

I like the key specifications. I can search within a search, save my searches, highlight and tab. I like that I can also add notes when needed, to remind myself what case I am working on and how the case law would help.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the pricing restrictions.

Unknown.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Easy to Use & My Go to Site for reasearch"

What do you like best?

Lexis Nexis is extremely user friendly and i can always find exactly what i am looking for.

What do you dislike?

at time the program is moving slowly, or the continua logging in makes it difficult.

i can find almost all items that I am looking for in Lexis. i would recommend this software to other users!

User in Law Practice

"LexisNexis is a handy research tool"

What do you like best?

Ability to search and pull up full cases

What do you dislike?

Heard to learn how to search properly (can't just put in a few case words, case won't be found)

Researching case law for legal defenses. Assists in defense and drafting petitions to the court and legal pleadings

Lexis Advance® review by User

"Great tool for finding information."

What do you like best?

Full of Information that is easy to find and search.

What do you dislike?

Found some of the findings to be repetitive at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a solid product with accurate data, go with this amazing product.

Used as a supplement in our background check process.

User in Law Practice

"Good product but lacks intuitiveness"

What do you like best?

good word searches; forward thinking; shepardizing is good feature

What do you dislike?

It is not as intuitive to use as some other research software; can be difficult to navigate

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare services of this and westlaw

The public records search is quick and helpful; plain word search is good

"Amazing"

What do you like best?

Lexis headnotes make searching easier than ever, not to mention the forms option.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike about this product

N/A

"Not bad"

What do you like best?

Lexis is a one stop shop for most research needs. Search results are fair, although it is not as responsive as westlaw. Additionally, there could be more practitioner forms available. Support, though, is amazing.

What do you dislike?

Most of the legal community uses westlaw

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will get the job done

case searches, attorney searches. etc.

User in Legal Services

"Lexis Advance isn’t as user friendly as Westlaw Next"

What do you like best?

This is a cheaper option often sufficient for paralegal progrmas

What do you dislike?

The tutorials aren’t advanced enough and it’s hard for students to grasp the complicated search connector shortcuts

It’s far more cost-efficient that providing full access to better versions of lexis

User in Law Practice

"excellent source of information "

What do you like best?

I like that I can search anything from court cases to public records.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the addresses are not always up to date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

this is a great resource to find contact information.

finding parties in lawsuits and potential witnesses.

"Legal Research Tool"

What do you like best?

The website is very easy to use. The databases are categorized in a user friendly manner. I also enjoy the interface and color scheme.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the Secondary sources on Lexis as much as I like them on Westlaw. I also do not like the terms and connectors searching.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it!

I used the software for legal research.

Lexis Advance® review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Lexis Review"

What do you like best?

The Lexis law school points are a great incentive.

What do you dislike?

The fact that daily points atre only ten points

It has helped with legal research.

"love Lexis"

What do you like best?

ease of use, effective research... I love sherardizing feature.

What do you dislike?

cost! it is cost prohibitive especially if you are a solo practitioner.

legal research. answers to legal questions.

User in Law Practice

"Satisfactory but not as clean as with competitors"

What do you like best?

New LexisAdvance provides for a smoother interface than the old Lexis products

What do you dislike?

Not as clean of an interface as Westlaw and other competitors

Recommendations to others considering the product

Headed in the right direction with the release of Lexis Advance

Use it to do legal research when required in my practice

User in Law Practice

"I use LexisNexis as my primary on-line legal research program."

What do you like best?

Pricing for small law firms; ease of use; focus possible for targeted searches.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the searching can be tricky, but there is little I don't like.

Legal research performed effectively and efficiently. It is very cost-effective with the small law firm, single monthly price option.

"LexisNexis"

What do you like best?

Finding cases and printing or saving them is very quick

What do you dislike?

I wish it cost less, but it's a good value nonetheless

It helps me do legal research quickly and efficiently.

Learning about Lexis Advance®?

* We monitor all Lexis Advance® reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.