Linode

Linode review by <span>Winston D.</span>
Winston D.

A competitive VPS

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I really love how Linode is well priced. Since I started using them, they have increased the amount of memory that you get with each box and are constantly improving their service. I also had the misfortune recently of misplacing my 2nd factor authentication, and their support was extremely helpful in aiding me to recover my account.

What do you dislike?

The web portal definitely feels dated. Despite all of the awesome services they offer, this is one area where they definitely need improvement. That being said, they have made improvements since I started using the site, and it does provide all of the information you need. It would just be nice if it matched up better with the styling of their main landing page.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Feel free to look around at other VPS solutions. If you are looking for one which gives you an ample amount of RAM and great support, Linode is a choice which you won't regret.

I primarily use Linode for hosting a few small Rails apps. I like how I am able to manage everything myself in that regard. This has helped me by giving me a quick and easy place where I know I can go to to solve a problem.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Linode
Linode review by <span>Douglas M.</span>
Douglas M.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

The simplicity in creating linodes, recreating, expanding, to do backups is the best, also the price/space-bandwidth. Also offers possibility to manage dns for all my registered domains in a single place. I already have ran jenkins, sonar, nginx, mysql, postgresql and others software and all ran without problems of performance.

What do you dislike?

Basically it offers you a shell with diverses linux with this you can do everything, but I would like to have also support for microsoft systems. Also will be cool if they have wizards more for newbie users to configure the linux, access fileserver and etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It basically offers a full access linux bash in a clean linux, you can do everything you want, but somethings are hard to configure like e-mails and others, then service solutions will be best in the case, but if you want full control and customizations linode is the right choice.

I had the problem to use local machines as my servers in my products, that had the problem of miss of energy or internet that can affect my customers, using cloud services solved it perfectly. Also make me more comfortable since i know it will be online, and I'll receive e-mails in case of pane like machine shutdown, memory/cpu high usage or disk without capacity and other reminders.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Virtual Private Servers (VPS) solution do you use?

Linode review by <span>John B.</span>
John B.

Great VPS Provider

Validated Review
What do you like best?

They're constantly improving their services and always passing those improvements onto existing customers for free. I started in 2011 with a 512MB $20/month VPS (their smallest option at the time) and still pay $20/month but they've since upgraded my RAM to 4GB, my transfer from 1TB to 3TB, and my storage from 20GB HDD to 48GB SSD. They're very proactive with security and keeping me updated about infrastructure notifications, but also keeping out of my way when it comes to me managing my server.

What do you dislike?

I'm not really sure. I think they provide a tremendous amount of value for the price and I've never had a single complaint about them. I guess the one area they could probably improve is by adding more storage to their plans, or perhaps adding a plan that's just meant for storage (something akin to Amazon s3?).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need unmanaged VPS offerings, strongly consider Linode. They're fantastic.

I need web hosting but want to control the platform and don't mind maintaining servers. Their VPS offerings are perfect for that.

Linode review by <span>Ivan I.</span>
Ivan I.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Linode provides a various of Datacenter location, far from Dallas to Japan, London to Singapore. The best thing is, these DCs provide a geographical advantages, allowing companies to locate their servers to the nearest point for suiting their needs. In addition, Managed service is also a notable point that Linode provides, warmly taking care of the servers you rent. You will just need to raise a ticket, and the team will taken care of the task for you.

Moreover, hourly billing is a big plus. Unlike traditional providers, Linode's hourly billing rate is a great advantage for mission-critical tasks, while this drastically decrease the billing burden for companies, it also gives a spacious zone for developers to go on with their project, without worrying afterward billings.

What do you dislike?

About what my dislikes to Linode... If I have to talk about it, it would be the pricing, and security.

First on pricing, it is hugely disappointed when Linode cut off their discount for old clients, while the existing ones are not affected, new customers to Linode are unable to enjoy annual/biannual discount. Also there is rare to see Linode have promotions, it's a bit disappointed that customers are not able to enjoy welcome discounts.

Second on the security, Linode has been hacked a several times, this gives me uncomfortable to do business with them, however I still not desired alternative provider, Linode seems is my last resort for now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for stable, big brand, Linode is your first choice.

The grandfathered brand gives us alot of faith in business with Linode, and also staying with them. Not only because of the brand reputation, also the stable service they provided in the past, that mostly builds our confidence to Linode.

Linode review by <span>Patrick H.</span>
Patrick H.

Solid Service

Validated Review
What do you like best?

It's affordable, scalable, and reliable. I also love that they have data centers spread out across the United States so we can become geographically diverse pretty easily - and quickly. Launching off a new node or upgrading existing nodes is really easy and you would be hard pressed to find a more cost effective solution.

What do you dislike?

You really need to be a developer to use this solution. The learning curve is that of a sysadmin. If you cannot work in command line then you will probably have trouble with Linode. Their admin isn't sexy but it gets the job done. It really has the look and feel of an IT product in that respect. I don't like that they do not have their own server management software in place. It doesn't have to be cPanel but they certainly need something better than what they have if they want to appeal to the maximum number of potential customers out there. Implementing SSLs was a little bit of a pain but we got through it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd make sure you find yourself a good admin software like Server Pilot. You are going to be doing a lot of work in command line so if you are comfortable there you will love this.

We are able to make our infrastructure more robust and affordable. It also offers backups and load balancers so that we can mitigate risk of ddos and geographical latency issues.

Linode review by <span>Adam H.</span>
Adam H.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Uptime is great, value for money is great, support is really good. Decent choice in both data center locations and VPS sizes.

Backup service is also reliable and well priced

What do you dislike?

Would be good to have payment method other than credit card, also would be good to have attachable storage in the same way digital ocean does.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As long as your happy with a raw VPS then just do it.

I use linode for hosting client sites, a $40 VPS happily outperforms a $150 VPS with the big hosting companies.

Uptime is great, the majority of my servers have 100% uptime in the last 90 days. All clients are happy with performance, price (even including a margin for management) and reliability.

Learning about Linode?

* We monitor all Linode reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.