Linux Mint

Linux Mint produces a modern, elegant and comfortable operating system which is both powerful and easy to use.

Work for Linux Mint?

Learning about Linux Mint?

Linux Mint Reviews

Showing 12 Linux Mint reviews
Linux Mint review by Joshua R.
Joshua R.

"Straightforward and Stable, A little behind the curve"

What do you like best?

I like the Cinnamon Desktop Environment, it's simple and uncluttered. The mint menu behaves exactly like I expect and allows me to open software without grabbing the mouse if I so choose.

Enough configuration to handle standard use cases without an intimidating array of extra choices. This is one of my go-to recommendation for new Linux users because it's friendly and supported like Ubuntu while using a good, distinctive but also traditional DE.

What do you dislike?

Version upgrades are difficult and suggest risk, because of its reliance on Ubuntu versions it's often not shipping recent versions of software which means I often cannot use features that are current and supported in the project itself. Price of stability, admittedly but it's not ideal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest that potential Linux Mint users consider whether LTS is for them, and whether a traditional desktop paradigm is what they're after. Gnome is setting new trends and Plasma has more options, Cinnamon is not exciting, it just works well.

Mint is an overall usable system but it's lack of clear goals and provisions for specific use-cases means it's not gonna change anyone's life.

I needed a linux system that was reasonably stable and at the time I was concerned about getting lost in terminal commands. Mint provides a decent set of utilities and doesn't compel you to get technical.

I needed something that had good software support in order to avoid constant fights over what kinds of software we could use.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Linux Mint
Linux Mint review by Adriana C M.
Adriana C M.

"My favorite operating system"

What do you like best?

Linux Mint is my favorite operating system since the 14th version. It is easy to download, install, user friendly, I use it with Cinnamon which is a free and open-source desktop environment. Linux Mint is a linux distribution based in Ubuntu, but somehow we have never get used to the Ubuntu User Interface. I like that is easy to personalize, it has useful applets and desklets, beautiful wallpapers, I really like its welcome window. We like the terminal and the software manager. There isn't any incompability with the software we need to work.

What do you dislike?

We can't find something we dislike from Linux Mint, but I would like to have Plank and Numix icons integrated by default. I rather like Deluge than Transmission.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a new linux user, this distro would like you the most. People usually pick Elementary OS, but somehow I had always experienced bugs or had troubles with my drivers. Also, I like to personalize my Operating System and Elementary OS doesn't lend you to personalize much.

It is my main operating system, it has the software I need, is intuitive, easy to use, there isn't much drivers incompatibilities or bugs, it is a operating system that you just install and you are ready to work. I don't spent too much time on installing my HP printer. There's a large community when you can't find help in cause you need it.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Linux Mint review by William C.
William C.

"Review about Linux Mint's version 18.1 (Serena)"

What do you like best?

What I like the most about Linux Mint is that is really easy to use, you can find highly quality and long term support and thanks to the fact that is an Ubuntu based distribution, the solutions that are given to Ubuntu's users, can also work in this operating system too.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the desktop environment that is set by default (Cinammon). I rather like to use another desktop enviroment like Mate, you can also download the Mate Edition in Linux Mint website. I like this DE because is lighter and you can personalize it even more than Cinnamon

Recommendations to others considering the product

Linux Mint is really great for people who are starting to use Linux, if it doesn't have the packages that they need in the official repository, they can download them in Launchpad because they are also compatibles with this distribution. The learning curve is really low even if you used to use another operating systems that are not open source.

Linux Mint suceeded in the unification of aspects that benefit both final users and programmers in comparison with others linux operating systems, because its UI is user-friendly and it's also useful, versatile, lightweight and compatible

Linux Mint review by Ray G.
Ray G.

"Linux Mint is solid and runs faster than most"

What do you like best?

Crisp feel is solid and desktop actions feel lean and responsive

What do you dislike?

I am not a huge fan of the various menus and layouts - I tend to prefer the Backbox 5.0 to Mint because it is even leaner and except for having to move the taskbar from top of the screen to the bottom I like the overall feel of Backbox over Mint in most situations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mint is stable and works well out of the box on most systems.

I use it mostly to revive old desktop computer castoffs to make them available to people who need computers but lack the resources to afford a real modern PC.

Linux Mint review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"A Powerful Alternative"

What do you like best?

Linux Mint provides a powerful alternative to both the Windows and iOS environments. I particularly love that is a complete product with applications that provide similar, if not the exact same, functionality found in the more heavily marketed productivity software packages. Linux Mint also provides a level of portability I have not seen in other operating systems. I can literally install the operating system to be fully functional from a USB and access ALL productivity and other software - literally picking up my workflow from where I left it. It is a life saver as it fully integrates with many of the cloud-based solutions I already use.

What do you dislike?

I have not yet found a dislike with Linux Mint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My first recommendation would be to join a user group for support before tackling Mint. It is not necessarily as "out of the box" as Windows or iOS, but once the basics are achieved, Mint certainly is easily installed and implemented.

Linux Mint presents a very secure way of utilizing your own operating system at your client's office without using your own equipment. Integrating Mint with a number of cloud-based solutions will provide a level of security unrivaled by Windows or iOS. I can literally walk into a client's office, be offered a system that has a Wi-Fi connection and USB port and be up and running on my own system - saving me time and alleviating worries about laptop and device security. Finally, I love the fact that I can use Linux Mint on my phone - making it the core OS of my device and tightening security and integration.

Linux Mint review by Sandy G.
Sandy G.

"Great Development OS"

What do you like best?

Easy to install, choice of desktop managers, trouble free

What do you dislike?

Sometimes older packages in build, but generally not too bad to updated when needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great stripped down OS, multiple versions with different desktop managers. Very stable releases and easy to install. Works great with VirtualBox and general development where you need a Linux based OS

I use Mint inside of a VirtualBox for PHP and Python development. Makes it easy to keep Windows and Linux, and when I am done, I delete the VM.

Linux Mint review by Administrator in Defense & Space
Administrator in Defense & Space

"Nice to use dimple to get started linux distro"

What do you like best?

Its very convenient and easy to get started with you don't have to install any software once you set it up on your system all the essential softwares are already bundled .

It allows you to download all the packages available at ubuntu and debian repository which makes it easy to install all requirements

What do you dislike?

Cinnamon the desktop manager is unstable it breaks a lot.

Everything else form network managet to other parts works well. Very buggy too . In my case I was using a thinkpad the machine used to freeze a lot due to some kernel error in linux mint. But in the next update it became stable but still froze some times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please make the cinnamon stable. Its very unstable its a very gud desktop manager infact I personlly like it a lot. But the only problem is it breaks a lot .

Once it stops breaking its very gud and easy to use.

Create integration of cinnamon with and other OS too so that we can use it with any flavour of linux.

Opensource alternative for Windows as a OS. Easy installation and setup of all development tools.

Benefits we where able to complete our project and deliver the product to the client at the required time.

Very less investment as it is opensource. Helped us to save cost by enabling addon software from the other opensource vendors.

Linux Mint review by User in Information Technology and Services

"the best thing that I have installed in my laptop"

What do you like best?

definitively the graphical environment (cinnammon), besides that the stability is very good, compared with other distributions of previous linux, debian, ubuntu, sabayon. simple installation, the devices are very easy to configure, and it has improvements every time it goes to a new version.

What do you dislike?

you need 9 gb of space to install

incompatibility with some games

some users feel confused when they do not see the usual programs they used in windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

none

I free of viruses, also of errors and the most comfortable is that the installation of the operating system has included the office applications, utilities included, and saves me time and effort in setting up a computer

Linux Mint review by Rohan K.
Rohan K.

"Best OS for developers"

What do you like best?

Very comfortable, Easy to maintain. consistent speed

What do you dislike?

Hibernate has issue- Every time I tried to hibernate, but the system gets freeze before going to hibernate mode. Some times, system goes into hibernate, but system freezes before system is up and running.

I use Linux system for programming purpose.

Linux Mint review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great beginner Linux OS"

What do you like best?

Very user friendly. Easy install. It's free.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was a gnome version. Other than that, I like it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for your old computers, and if you need to save money as OS's can be expensive.

Side note: great to set up on an old computer for your kid or someone who has problems getting viruses..

Revitalize old computers. Save lots of money on modern OS.

Linux Mint review by Administrator

"Stable and enjoyable - the best desktop Linux distro out there!"

What do you like best?

Mint has slowly become more and more intuitive over the years, incorporating the latest open source packages, being secure and enjoyable to use.

What do you dislike?

Certain hardware won't work sometimes whether that's due to drivers being unavailable or other non-compatibility issues.

Desktop solutions for *nix preference colleagues, easy to spin up new instances (virtual or otherwise) of Mint for quick reference.

Linux Mint review by User in Design
User in Design

"Linux Mint Review"

What do you like best?

Powerful software at its finest! Great resource to to turn to.

What do you dislike?

Not applicable for data is insufficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N.A

Financial data, analysis and analytics.

Learning about Linux Mint?

* We monitor all Linux Mint reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.