What do you like best?
It's simple to add devices and setup basic monitoring. Other aspects such as ESXi, Nimble Array, and other device monitoring is simple to setup as well. It only requires an additional login to pull stats from vCenter, Nimble, etc.
WMI setup and Windows/Linux process monitoring is simple to setup once the basic monitoring is configured first.
Dashboards and graphs are incredibly useful once created.
What do you dislike?
There are a couple of issues to be aware of:
- Limited Datastore support. Creating new data sources requires someone on your staff to be well versed in Logicmonitor graph and datasource creation as well as understanding SNMP, WMI, OIDs, etc. Asking Logicmonitor Support to create data sources is... a struggle at best. The queue to create datasources is anywhere from 6-18 months backed up unless you pay for Professional Services to have them even look and scope your request out.
- Alert Chains and Escalation rules are very powerful features but can quickly get out of hand as you create more and more chains and rules.
- The Devices UI is a love it or hate it situation. Several design choices were made to increase browser performance but sacrifices the ability to quickly traverse an all encompassing device tree.
- No Application Performance Monitoring (APM) comparable to New Relic or other providers. There is no agent that can be installed for deeper statistics.
- If you want to do more than basic monitoring and get the most out of the platform, you really need to devote personnel to understanding the backend, creating data sources, creating graphs, and so on.
Recommendations to others considering the product
If you're using mainstream enterprise gear (Cisco, Juniper, Dell, Nimble, APC, and so on) in your environment, Logicmonitor should detect all data sources without an issue. If you have brands and manufacturers that are not as prevalent in the IT industry, I strongly recommend contacting Logicmonitor and inquire if data sources exist for your devices before risking a lengthy data source request.
If you plan to take advantage of the more advanced features, I strongly recommend having at least two staff members certified and well versed in the back end configuration settings for the platform.
What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
We needed to avoid time consuming tasks such as creating new device type of alerts, being able to create custom runbook text for NOC and for customers, as well as not having to maintain or manage the capacity of our monitor clusters & hardware.