Looker

Looker

Looker supports a discovery-driven culture throughout the organization; its web-based data discovery platform provides the power and finesse required by data analysts while empowering business users throughout the organization to find their own answers.

Work for Looker?

Learning about Looker?

Looker Reviews

Ask Looker a Question
Looker review by Erin B.
Erin B.

"An Analytics Tool that Goes Above and Beyond"

What do you like best?

I absolutely love Looker's customer support. I a a lookml developer, and Looker has chat support from 9-6. This has saved my day on many occasions, and one of the main reasons I will always recommend looker. I also love the flexibility of the tool, and the ability to use the tool for both operations and executive dashboard. Looker is usable for operations because it gives the option of digging in to the granular data

What do you dislike?

There is not much I dislike. There is always room for improvement with this tool tho. Organization around charts/dashboard, as well as better organization around fields that are usable to explore

Allowing every team (product, growth, operations) to analyze their own data without a data analyst running queries for them. We also have high level dashboard that exec team needs. We even use this for financial reporting on a high level

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Looker
Showing 321 Looker reviews
Looker review by Andrew B.
Andrew B.

"Wider audience able to run useful reports"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and the ability to share saved looks among coworkers.

What do you dislike?

I feel like custom dashboards are a missing element from the generic product offering. I would like to set up a page for every department leader that shows them relevant up-to-date information. There is an option to do this but it is far too complicated. When I reached out to looker for help I was surprised that they wanted to charge me so much to have someone help me set up these dashboards.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend having one single employee spend the time and energy necessary to really understand the product and all of it's capabilities. I think we use looker for about 50-70% of it's capabilities. Since it is no longer one individual persons job, we often don't have the time to learn about further capabilities.

We use looker generally to access information for nearly all departments. KPI tracking, customer performance, sales and marketing effectiveness, detecting issues, and running reports.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Looker
Looker review by Stephanie K.
Stephanie K.

"Business User Accessible BI Tool"

What do you like best?

Looker makes accessing customer and transactional data easy. From developing dashboards, charts and bespoke "Looks", our Marketing team were able to leverage insights about our customers, their purchasing history and trends with far greater easy than using BigQuery alone. Looker helped inform strategic decisions and business direction far more than we would have expected.

What do you dislike?

The ease at which a business user can navigate Looker is dependent on how well it has been set up by a technical expert. To add new dimensions or measures, or modify the way in which data is grouped, you will need to have technical support, which is often now always available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest in training super users within each discipline. We employees who were highly skilled with marketing, operations, merchandising and engineering. Each faculty will have unique needs, so investing in a few specialists will help each department make the most of the tool.

Looker has helped us accurately report on current and historical sales performance, across multiple dimensions. We've been able to streamline our reporting processes. Specifically for marketing, we've gained a better understanding of our Customer LTV and identification of opportunity customer segments, as well as evaluate our highest performing acquisition channels. We also gained abetter understanding of the products customers were purchasing, which is a challenging task given we have a customisable product.

What Business Intelligence Platforms solution do you use?

Looker review by Sergio F.
Sergio F.

"Data analytic and amazing learning"

What do you like best?

I like how Looker challenges me to push for more, dive deeper into the data and how easy to use it is. I really believe this is an amazing tool for data analytics and if you use it in a smart way it can help you improve your performance and business.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that sometimes there aren't enough variables to add to some looks and you have to request it to be done. I believe it would be more useful for the user to be able to implement any variable he wants.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore for yourself and never stop trying and learning. Looker is a great place to learn about every aspect of your business and space where you can improve your analytic skills.

I'm doing data analysis and it's helping me to perform better at my job. I've realised that looker has given me the tool to explore for myself and learn a lot, by making mistakes but making rights too.

Looker review by sam r.
sam r.

"A great tool for anyone to become an analyst"

What do you like best?

I love that you really don't need to know SQL to become an analyst and ask the right questions in Looker. I've trained my whole CSX team to use the tool and it has super charged us as a team.

What do you dislike?

I hate how long it takes since it never really caches the data. I have to really make sure the queries I write or the questions I ask are very limited as a result.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker is constantly making updates, they ship very quickly. I have a positive outlook of this product.

I have a real pulse on my business now. I know things basically in real time, and the visualizations have gotten much better in the 3 years I have used it.

Looker review by Administrator

"Powerful tool for data, not very new-user friendly"

What do you like best?

-Looker has an extensive data modelling layer ( not to be confused with statistical modelling). This is a feature that makes it stand apart from other tools. With the help of PDTs, we implement a lot of data transformation which wouldn't be very efficient on just another BI tool.

-With just a few lines of LookML code, you can join different data from source tables and view these fields in one place to be able to build Looks on it, without writing long lines of sql.

-Once you build a Look (one report) with drag/drop and filters, it is easy to to visualize data, add calculation fields, etc.

-When you run an individual look, you can see the underlying SQL generated and you can easily figure out if the report is doing exactly what you need it to

-Admin features like content validator let you check if changing views/dimensions/measures at one place is affecting anything else the rest of you ecosystem.

-Prompt Customer Support

What do you dislike?

-Slow learning curve - The terminologies like Looks, Explore, Model etc, as well as the site navigation for these is not very intuitive to a first time user, even thought he/she might be experienced in other BI tools. LookML might also seem non-intuitive at first, but is easy to learn and very useful.

-Data Visualization options are plenty, but not as great as other tools.

-Some complicated Looks tend to load very slowly, even though the actual query would have run pretty fast. Affects load time in Dashboards as well API

- Can be time consuming for exploratory analysis - but best once you know exactly what to implement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need some tool to provide reports to a large amount of audience, make it self serve to an extent and have a strong team to manage it, you can go for it.

We have been able to implement a whole lot of our reporting requirements in Looker. Some of the savvy sales or higher management are able to gather simple insights from the UI by themselves. Daily/monthly tracking happens through dashboards in mails or UI.

Looker review by John B.
John B.

"Looker stands above the competition"

What do you like best?

Looker absolutely has the best people and technology in this industry. I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the support that they're able to provide, and with incredible speed. This is a company that really cares about its people and its customers; it's clear that they invest in both.

Within our proof of concept, Looker was able to form a genuine partnership, making solid recommendations that will yield rapid results.

On top of that, Looker has granular permissions, robust administration tools that allow for setting permissions by group or individual, and the ability to design what end-users can or cannot change within their environment.

Finally, Looker has a public help-center that has a wealth of excellent information, both written and on video. Don't overlook this, or you'll sell yourself short.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, Looker isn't free. While there is a need to learn a new language, the language is intuitive and relatively fast to learn if you're relatively experienced with SQL.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare Looker to other products in the same space simultaneously. For us, Looker was the clear winner.

- Health scores are becoming a reality

- Cohort analysis is starting to take shape

- Detailed analysis of a huge dataset

- Streamlining internal processes to ensure we are able to service more customers in a shorter timeframe, and with greater quality.

- Visualizations and the ability to embed those views and visualizations into a view that our customers could use.

Looker review by Melanie H.
Melanie H.

"Amazing Visualizations up to the limit of your bandwidth"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that our many different departments and people of different skill levels are able to investigate and explore our data without having to actively interact with an analyst. Also, the ability to create a single dashboard to be usable for multiple different people's individual information using user attributes saves me so much time!

What do you dislike?

I struggle with looker's slowness. We've noticed that at high login times, it can take up to 5 minutes just to load an explore or dashboard, not including running. If we could find a way to be able to allow people to not deal with that, it would be awesome!

Everything from Sales Operations to Product Optimization to Finance Spend. Being able to have all of our data on a single host is a huge advantage to cross-team communication.

Looker review by User

"Accessible Data for the Whole Team."

What do you like best?

Looker is a frictionless experience for end user's of varying technical background. In a very short time the user can be fully up to speed and gathering data, pulling reports for their various projects. There are many times that we've been able to use Looker to actively reinforce and validate an assumption a member of our team has had without calling upon anyone within our Data team to facilitate the discussion. Looker was easily accessed for the information.

What do you dislike?

It is hard for me to say. I know a lot of what I experience is going to be due to configuration and not necessarily a result of the product itself. That said, one thing I'm curious about would be the ability to access realtime data and see a query automatically update within a given dashboard. I feel as though this, as well, is going to be more of a configuration piece as opposed to a 'tool' specific dislike.

Right now our primary usage is going to be within the area of Business Intelligence and discovery. Through the usage in this way, we've been able to discover trends, research issues, and further validate assumptions that began to form.

Looker has allowed the entire team to be more data driven while no longer needing to directly rely on and take the time of those that are the 'keepers' of the data. We are now all able to intelligently make decisions based on data gleaned on an 'on demand' basis.

Looker review by Paul S.
Paul S.

"Disseminate key data easily across your org"

What do you like best?

Looker's made it easy for our entire team to stay up-to-date on our most KPIs. It's charting software allows us to visualize data in many different ways and assemble dashboards that fill us in on what we need to know immediately.

What do you dislike?

It takes a bit of time to get up and running with Looker and LookML--it might require one or two members of your team to dedicate a significant amount of time to learn how to use Looker and own creating dashboards.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a starter solution, Chart.io is pretty good. You will likely hit a point where it doesn't solve all your needs, though.

Before Looker, very few of our team members had access to how we were performing against KPIs and those folks would always be battered with questions around how the product was doing. Now, anyone can hop into Looker and answer those questions themselves, saving time and spreading insight.

Looker review by krithika p.
krithika p.

"Powerful tool but not intuitive"

What do you like best?

- Lots of cool visualizations like sankey and box plots in addition to the standard stuff

- I like that you can take a look created by someone an modify it to meet you own needs

- Ability to manage my data needs using the personal space

- Dashboard creation tools

What do you dislike?

- Not the most intuitive tool to pick up. I used mixed panel and google analytics before & there was a learning curve with this one in comparison!

- Sometimes the looks are slow to load.

- Not sure if this is a looker thing or the way we have implemented things but there are so many tables & its hard to know which table to start with for the data Im looking for

-Calculation field is useful but not intuitive!

Make product decisions based on data

See user behavior patterns

Looker review by User

"It's good for even a novice"

What do you like best?

I like that I can see the LookML for all measures as this allows me to verify that they care calculating things correctly. Many of our operating procedures are esoteric and it's helpful for me to be able to make sure that we are accurately representing the metrics.

What do you dislike?

Some navigational quirks that I haven't fully worked out. Example: Sometimes I'll be working in a Look and then realize that I want to save it but don't want to overwrite the existing Look, and I'm either not able to or have not yet figured out how to "Save As" in that scenario to save the modified Look as a new Look altogether.

Democratization of data. Even those that do not know SQL and other more advanced data science skills can put together simple to complex reports. Also, used for tracking business progress against KPI's for executive team.

Looker review by User in Computer Software

"Great tool for visualisations"

What do you like best?

Looker offers a wide range of attractive as well as useful visualisations, without compromising on performance at the same time. Most other similar tools focus on just one and lose out on the other.

What do you dislike?

While Looker offers the capability to work with multiple data sources, this isn't capitalised to its full extent. Adding new data sources to Looker can be a very cumbersome process - it has lots of points of failure. This needs to be made simpler.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to simplify the process of self-serviced analytics and require wide range of visualisation options, go for Looker. These are areas where Looker is probably the best tool available.

Looker plays a vital role in the reporting infrastructure. To some extent, it acts as a bridge between data and insights - and it does a brilliant job of it too!

Looker review by Marceau B.
Marceau B.

"Looker as a game changer "

What do you like best?

The flexibility of looker was a game changer in our company. Because we were able to define our own fields, variables and measures, we are now able to make sure the reports our end-users are looking at are accurate.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike. One of the thing that is sometime irritating (but in a good way) is that new features are coming out that render our old work useless as they replace some of the more custom wor we use to do (ex: merged results instead of doing PDT)

We are trying to have one source of truth for all our data, from marketing to sales, to finances. Also being able to join data together for powerful analyses was one of the goal of Looker implementation

Looker review by Diana S.
Diana S.

"Amazing experience for both business users and developers"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and amazing customer support are by far their best selling features. As a developer it's invaluable to have someone right away to help you with your problem, saving a lot of time and patience. As an end user, the navigating and use experience is really important on determining the level of trust in the data and the tool, and second, the likelyhood that they're going to continue trying to get insights from data. The platform used is very important and Looker achieves that successfully!

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike, but some very minor inconveniences such as browsing between the documentation platform and the forums.

Looker has helped us get rid of the data breadline and give data to the users when they want and how they want it without relying on someone to hand it to them. It's also allowed us to spread data and data usage to more than just a handful of users, spreading it at company level so everyone can get insights out of their data.

Looker review by Chioma N.
Chioma N.

"Data Analytics for the non Data Savvy"

What do you like best?

Looker provides the way for companies with large data sets coming to be able to bring all the data to the employees to better understand the customer experience. For most companies every aspect of the company can benefit from insight into the data, but the data resources (data analysts) are not wide spread enough to be able to provide all of the analytical requests for all of the departments. Looker allows the entire company to be able to utilize the data platforms we have without a strain on the data analyst resources.

What do you dislike?

There are some limited functionality when it comes to the direct sql manipulation in the backend in conjunction with the sql derived tables. I would like more insight into all of the functionalities and how sql can be more easily manipulated for as much specificity as possible.

Funnel analysis, and retention are the main areas in which we can gain insights through looker

Looker review by Stephanie C.
Stephanie C.

"Looker is very awesome to use!"

What do you like best?

Looker's UI is very simple and easy to use. Looker also has a lot of great documentation online which makes it simple to throw together LookML (view and model) and then build out the visualizations and plop them onto a dashboard. I've held Looker training sessions for my coworkers and most of my training materials were created from Looker's training materials; they're super easy to understand because the underlying product itself is simple to use.

What do you dislike?

I think the only bad part for me is the multiple Explores that our team has built, and not knowing which one people are still using and which ones are obsolete and therefore sometimes we have multiple views for similar things. Another dislike is probably is a very specific use case; it's hard to build out an all-comprehensive explore that can answer all KPI related questions from the company. It seems most explores are very specific to teams and therefore new users sometimes get confused where to start looking and how to go about finding the answers to their questions.

Our company is using Looker as a self-service reporting and dashboarding tool. This has already been achieved and most users at the company love to use Lookers. People that are willing to let go of using Excel have found Looker's table calculations to be super helpful.

Looker review by Greg R.
Greg R.

"Looker allows us to keep a pulse on all parts of the business"

What do you like best?

After some initial setup, looker allows you to very quickly model any metrics / data relevant to your business. We use it to keep up to date information about engagement and usage of all parts our SaaS application. The visual graphs and displays are easy to setup and modify.

What do you dislike?

For simple use cases, I wish Looker would auto-generate the schema for the user to make setup even easier.

Looker allows us to have transparency into our product's usage and performance. It also allows engineers to build out the visual language the business users can use themselves to answer questions.

Looker review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Looker Looker Who Uses Looker"

What do you like best?

Looker is a very powerful tool. They have a clean UI and tons of functionality. I really like the reports and dashboards that you can set up with looker. We use looker to run reports for everything, sales, account management, users, engineering, etc so it can be used in all areas of the business.

What do you dislike?

This may be just because of training or because I don't use the system enough but there is so much in there it can be difficult to get the exact report you are looking to pull. It's like a huge spreadhseet on steroids so if you're not using it daily it can take some time to get the data you need exact.

Recommendations to others considering the product

seems to have all of the functionalities needed.

Dashboards

Tracking

Reporting

Insights

Sales Dashboards

Customer Success Dashboards

Customer Reports

Marketing

Looker review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"Flexibility and Innovation"

What do you like best?

The flexibility and capability is top notch. Looker is really quick to innovate and add new features. We love that the entire of basis of Looker is about querying your database in real-time. With this, there's a lot of transparency into why a query isn't running or why results aren't as expected.

What do you dislike?

The support team is great about referring you to the right documentation (which can be hard to find), but they're not as great about coming up with creative solutions to unique problems. Oftentimes it will result in a mention to the product team. More visibility into the feature roadmap would go a long way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It isn't the most intuitive of the BI tools, but if you have someone that can dedicate some part time energy towards maintaining and troubleshooting, then the capabilities are superior to most anything out there.

The main business goal of looker has been making data more accessible for the data team and business users. The obvious benefit has been less reliance on the senior data analysts.

Looker review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Driving self service across your company"

What do you like best?

Looker levels the playing field between techy folks that no SQL and business folks that understand business outcomes and want to drive data-driven decisions. It's easy to use and enables business users to find outliers and make decisions quickly.

I also appreciate the pro-activeness of the customer success team and sales engineering that has really showcased the value of the product and answer questions quickly.

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything negative to say at this point.

overall, our business is growing at rapid pace and want to be able to steer the company in the right direction. We have multiple projects ready to be deployed across the business functions, but we are starting with the top 10 metrics that drive our business around financials and product usage, and then our focus will be on top line and bottom line finance metrics, platform usage, and sales and marketing funnels.

Looker review by User in Internet

"Looker is moving us forwar"

What do you like best?

Single source of truth for dimensions and measures via LookML. Easy, intuitive UI for end users to explore data and author their own reports (Looks). High performant when leveraging a speedy cloud based DB platform.

What do you dislike?

Limited flexibility in Layout and Design of Looks and Dashboards means little customization is possible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your data isn't in a good place/platform, don't expect great performance from Looker, as it is simply executing SQL directly against the database.

Eliminate the need for SSAS cubes, and retire legacy reporting tools while taking advantage of cloud based BI platform. We are in the process of retiring said cubes, and migrating our data to cloud based DB (Snowflake), and are seeing huge performance gains from the Looker/Snowflake combo. Development time has also been reduced relative to our existing tools and we can always start and build from the same data source.

Looker review by Cyril M.
Cyril M.

"One of the greatest BI tool I've used"

What do you like best?

Looker is THE tool for business that are passed Stage 2 in Business Intelligence (meaning past dashboarding prepared by the only BI person where no exploration is possible). Data exploration experience is made (almost) dead easy. Dashboarding is even easier and the UI is just close to perfect.

Also the scheduling is an amazing feature that combined with other platforms like Zapier, Slack, MailChimp, Google Sheet, etc. opens up a whole new level of BI possibilities!

What do you dislike?

Space Management is maybe not quite optimal. It would be great to restrict access to spaces (not only user spaces).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have an inhouse Data geek person that knows how to deal with Redshift (or an engineer that can help with that) then you're all set! Looker is that easy to setup and maintain.

We wanted to find a tool that would enable us to easily explore data (meaning so that a non-technical person could drill into data without having another person running the reports), easily build dashboards and schedule reports by email.

Looker answered all those requirements.

Looker review by Bridge M.
Bridge M.

"Looker is great, the limitations are worth it"

What do you like best?

I like how quickly it is to share data and information with someone across our company, especially in a visual way to aid in understanding.

What do you dislike?

With Looker, there is a lot that you can do ... and some things that you can't do. The things that you can't do are frustrating and sometimes surprising. There are at times workarounds, and other times there are not.

Looker is not great for stand-alone graphics, which is a limitation. It is also still cumbersome for an average employee to navigate Looker without help from someone well versed in Looker. Nonetheless, I've been surprised at how quickly adoption throughout the org and Looker truly as "the source of truth" is available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker has limitations, but as long as it solves the main problem you are looking for, it's great. I would highly recommend it and really value the discourse community, support, and consistent monthly releases which have a lot of updates and improvements

We use Looker for internal business analytics. It sits on top of Redshift, which is where we store both production data as well as data from other tools (e.g. Salesforce, Segment, Desk), which is then combined in Looker.

Looker is typically used for our business KPIs

Looker review by Daniel W.
Daniel W.

"Easy to use and very powerful"

What do you like best?

Ease of development. Because Looker is based on SQL, it's easy for us to model new data sources quickly. As a startup, our application data models change frequently, and it's easy for our team to adapt.

What do you dislike?

Some end-users struggle to use the tool. However, Looker has steadily been releasing features that make it more user-friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get someone with Looker experience to do your initial data modeling.

Providing easy access to data.

One benefit I didn't foresee going in is the new API. It's meant that for many cases, we can centralize data munging. For example - building predictive models often requires a lot of data manipulation to create features. With the API, we can do the data manipulation just once in Looker, and hit the API for datasets for our models (previously, we would have had to reproduce the data manipulation in Python). We can then display the outputs of the predictive models in Looker, right next to the underlying features.

Looker review by Zach L.
Zach L.

"Looker Rocks"

What do you like best?

On Looker, we can make views that have many tables pre-joined. This makes exploring data way easier for users who aren't comfortable in SQL, making joins. It's also easier for our power users to do data pulls quickly.

What do you dislike?

1. The platform is not as flexible as SQL. There isn't a good way to do inner queries or case statements. You can't sort things by calculated fields when there are limits.

2. Exploring isn't that easy. It has a substantial learning curve and there are not as many UI options as Tableau has.

3. Looker is not pretty. Tableau makes much prettier charts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker requires a lot of upfront work but is worth it for data-driven companies. Teach everyone in your company how to explore right away.

Before we used Looker, very few people in the company had access to the data. Now over 80% of our company uses Looker for reporting, and many people are able to explore their own data.

Looker review by User in Internet

"Mission Critical BI tool"

What do you like best?

As a sales user of any BI tool, what matters most is being able to access the basics, generate a "look" or report and then work with the data team to enhance and iterate.

What do you dislike?

Again, as a sales user, I need help from other teams to get the most out of the tool when I want to extract what I want to extract from the warehouse.

Creating a killer dashboard requires assistance too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Create standard reports for a broad set of users in the org before you roll it out to the org. Ensure that there is a central team who owns enabling other teams to get the most out of the investment.

Visibility. Needing to surface everything from user data, to performance data, and a laundry list of others, Looker delivers on giving people, across different teams, and different applications, the access to the data they need to do their job and do it better than before.

Looker review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Clean and pretty user-friendly"

What do you like best?

The filtering options are very nice & allow you to drill down narrowly to pull data. Visualizations are also pretty slick & there is a lot of customization available to make it represent your data best.

What do you dislike?

I get a bit hung up on some data points being available in certain tables & not in others. Can make it a challenge to figure out where to start a new look if not using one that's already saved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do you have someone available to build the tables appropriately and troubleshoot as needed?

I mostly use Looker for performance analysis of our emails or our inventory. It's extremely helpful to give data points that prove / disprove theories we test in our email channel.

Looker review by Administrator

"Looker is Pretty Neat and I Like It"

What do you like best?

Making custom visualizations is super fun! I also really enjoy Lookml. I'm a developer by heart so it's 100% my focus, and if the code is fun then the product is fun.

What do you dislike?

Too much HTML and CSS sanitization! I had to jump through a lot of hoops in order to accomplish some of the requirements I had for an explore.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you really want a product that is easy to use for a BI solution then looker is probably one of your best bets. It's super simple to set up, and anybody with development experience can really job hop in and go.

We have a huge problem with data being stored in excel files, and business users using excel plugins to create their own visualizations. Part of my job is to kill those excel files and replicate it BETTER in Looker.

Looker review by Dylan H.
Dylan H.

"BI Analyst Implementing Looker"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and understandable interface make it easy for my team to use, so I no longer need to write queries all the time. The also have great staff who are really helpful!

What do you dislike?

The visuals are lacking and we still have some features we would like to see implemented, like conditional formatting. Mostly, there are very few negatives I could say

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would try Looker! The ease of use and flexibility make it a great product for any cloud oriented team. I particularly like the ability to auto upload data into Google Docs for extremely flexible dashboarding.

Looker allows everyone in my company to manipulate and view the data. It lets users of all levels work as they like. The levels of access even allow teams like our finance team to access what they need without any issues. I have realized an added boost to my time, which I can spend on new data sources and more analysis!

Looker review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Disruptive BI in a crowded market"

What do you like best?

I really like how Looker has changed the model from "traditional BI tools". I don't know of one company that develops a BI platform with just one person. There is always a team or different groups of individuals contributing. Looker with their LookML at it's core, is uniquely suited for this environment.

I also love the number of significant releases Looker puts out each 4 to 6 weeks. With many vendors the "dot releases". have a few enhancements here and there. It seems like Looker is always delivering some seriously helpful functions each release.

What do you dislike?

because Looker focused on the foundation of the house (where it makes sense), some of the product needs some finish work. The interface has come a long way but it is still missing some basics like sub total in reports, font control, column width, that sort of thing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Review the product from a real world perspective where you will have different levels of users all collaborating on the same data sets. Don't just go through the standard BI checklist that lists 'number of colors' or 'how many charts' can you make.

We are doing in depth analysis of our customers behavior with our product. We track all of their actions and analyze this data so that we can determine how to best serve our customers and anticipate their future needs. It involves a lot of data analyzed along a number of different dimensions.

"Good Looks"

What do you like best?

The interface to create and run queries simplifies the process. Users do not need to know SQL to run complex data sets. You are also able to create queries and share them with your team. The ability to automatically send reports to your team, or to clients is a great way to report accurate up-to-date data.

What do you dislike?

There is no real downside to Looker which I have found. The interface is great, and my team is knowledgeable for assistance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

company to company hackathon

We are solving reporting, and information gains by using looker, and are able to standardize information with the pre-existing reports.

Looker review by Kate C.
Kate C.

"Amazing Product for Getting Deep in the Data from an Awesome and Supportive Company"

What do you like best?

I love that it's super easy to give everyone in my company access to the data. Also I like the fact that LookML allows me to build in calculations and derived tables so I can automate and unify metrics for reporting. The support team is super awesome and helpful. Also I love the fact that Looker is constantly improving every release I get excited by a new feature and I have seen things that I felt we missing appear a couple of months laters. I have a lot of confidence that Looker will keep delivering a high quality product to me.

What do you dislike?

Table calculations are still a little stiff. They have definitely improved since they were initially rolled out, but I would love it if I could dump Excel entirely but unfortunately table calculations aren't there yet. Also I have found that the models lock you into one join path which means that some times I have to make to explores with similar tables just so the joins work better. In terms of looking at my database Looker is fantastic but it can't be our sole BI tool because it only looks at the database. This has been a main complaint of my management team which really doesn't care about the nitty gritty data of the business and just wants to see the overall picture from lots of different source.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker is most useful you have a large percentage of your data in a database and have a need to see specific pieces of data often. Then I highly recommend it because it allows you lots of flexibility to view your data lots of different ways. If you are the type of company that's ok with lots of static dashboards or you have lots of data stored in vendor tools then you probably aren't going to get a lot of value out of Looker.

Looker allows use to have visibility in to financial data before the books close because we can see as users make purchases and we pay vendors. It also allows are merchandising and account management team keep a close eye on customers and reviews allowing us to change our product offerings and reach out to ailing customers. We also have access to how our ops teams are doing to id which teams are delivery for effectively. Overall the great thing is Looker allows to spot problems through dashboards and alerts and then drill down to they very specific cause of the issue. This is super important in a business like ours which is daily and very operations heavy.

Looker review by Mark B.
Mark B.

"Powerful, flexible, transparent data analysis tool for data visibility at every level of the company"

What do you like best?

There are several things I like best:

- The ability to build a model with lookml for data analysis without building tables and etl. This is much more flexible, allowing you to adjust it as you go along. No more building for months to find out that it isn't quite what is needed now. I have done major refactoring twice that would have been weeks of work the old way, it took one day with Looker.

- The transparency of lookml. I have had the CFO of our company click to look at the lookml and copy and paste it into an email with corrections on a calculation. Makes it easy for users and for me.

- The power of lookml to make transformations easy and reusable. We use Fivetran for ETL and Redshift for the storage and have accomplished months of work in days.

What do you dislike?

There are some limitations to modeling this way, when you need more advanced options such as slowly changing dimensions or snapshot transaction fact tables, you will need to add some more traditional data warehouse ETL and tables in, but this is a very good option for the other 90+%.

Looker is working on an option for this, stay tuned. When tables can be updated as well as reloaded it will be 100%.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is worth learning lookml if you are not a developer, it is consistent and straightforward. Looker models give much more flexibility than other reporting tools that use data sets.

This is great for small companies that could never afford to hire a team to build a traditional data warehouse.

Visibility of data to the lowest level in the format needed so that the people doing the work can make informed decisions in real time. Using LookML, it is simple to display data in multiple formats for different purposes.

Looker review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Sales Analyst at SpotHero"

What do you like best?

The ease of access to our data is literally changing the way our organization functions. As a data analyst I am able to reuse analysis and roll out dashboards to entire teams who can customize them to fit their market. Once the explores are set up, prototyping dashboards and running ad-hoc analysis takes a fraction of the time it would take to write these queries by hand in SQL.

What do you dislike?

Some limited functionality at this point, in particularly the scheduled email visualizations could be improved. However, they are constantly improving with new releases scheduled every month!

Recommendations to others considering the product

In order to get the most out of Looker you have to optimize your redshift cluster. Hopefully someone on your team has data engineering skills as this will dramatically improve the speed of your queries.

Because we have been able to automate and reduce the amount of time spent on Ad-Hoc reporting we have expanded to work on more complex data sets. We've moved beyond our financial data to all sorts of user behavior data like search demand which will allow us to optimize prices across our platform.

Looker review by Michael E. G.
Michael E. G.

"Surprisingly powerful with some love"

What do you like best?

Looker provides you incredible control over the minutia of your data, helping democratize data exploration and analysis. Few tools I've looked at provide that level of visibility, and none have the equivalent amount of control.

What do you dislike?

...that control comes with a price: LookML. While LookML is easy to pick up and is incredibly useful for avoiding costly transformation jobs pre-warehouse, it does add complexity and maintenance cost as data models change.

Further, for non-technical users, the learning curve can be a bit steep. Adoption requires a bit of evangelism across the organization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have someone on-staff or budget for contractors to maintain your data models within Looker or else you're going to have a bad time.

We have a mountain of data that needs to be exposed to various business owners. Our products have incredible scope, so summarizing the key data feeds and goals for owners across the org allows us to all operate on the same data sets rather than on competing spreadsheets. With Looker, we can make better data-influenced decisions.

As the tool gets better and more widely-adopted, I only expect that to improve.

Looker review by Aaron G.
Aaron G.

"Looker BI Tool Review"

What do you like best?

The ability to be able to write lookml and quickly push it into production is very beneficial. It being browser based is also amazing, no need to download things. Just log in to any browser and it is there.

What do you dislike?

Some of the visualization tools are just not there yet. It could really use some more capability there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The real benefit to this platform is the ease of use for the end user. They really only need to learn to click the mouse. However that being said the users experience will really depend on the setup of the product by the admin team. It really helps to write documentation as you are setting things up. That was one mistake that we made in our set up was that we skipped the documentation portion and our users ability to understand some things were limited and ended up costing us more time in the long run.

We currently run looker on Redshift, Hadoop/Spark and have found that generally Redshift meets almost all business needs. Hadoop/Spark we use for some of our larger datasets and there are times when redshift is still faster. Looker runs really well with redshift, we had little to no setup issues. We did have some issues with our Hadoop/Spark setup but Looker was super helpful in assisting us in getting some of the bugs worked out A+ on support from their end, they are very responsive.

User access to data. No need for people to learn sql queries or know any kind of coding. a quick tutorial and you are working.

Looker review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great for connecting dashboards directly to data"

What do you like best?

The thing I love about Looker is its functionality for storing data models. I often need to manipulate raw data before reporting on it or visualizing it in a dashboard, and Looker allows me to easily manipulate raw data directly from its source and store the data model so that it can be used again in the future.

What do you dislike?

I have some trouble making visualizations exactly to my liking in Looker. It can handle basic charts such as line and bar graphs well, but when I want to create a complex visualization I often find myself longing for more customization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would request a demo of Looker. If you contact them through their website they will let you set up a "POC" using your own data

I turn raw data into insight using Looker. I create data models that can be shared with my team and create dashboards/visualizations from this data. Looker has allowed me to easily share this work across my team so that duplicated efforts are avoided.

Looker review by Gülsen G.
Gülsen G.

"Having Looker implemented made us know our numbers anytime we want, without a need of a developer"

What do you like best?

Looker, once implemented and instructed on how it can make sense of the data (once it knows what our data means) made us free from any development need whenever we want to extract metrics on the product usage. This is the best tool we tried for the metrics. The best thing about it that everyone in the whole company can reach it and create their own dashboards, spaces, looks etc.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far :) We are quite happy with the product so far.

We are getting all the metrics we need through Looker. So far, we sent sales data, product usage data, support contact frequency & topics of the customers, digital marketing data... everything!

Looker review by Brian D.
Brian D.

"Flexible and powerful data visualization and exploration platform"

What do you like best?

Ease of describing data relationships, quick visualization, reasonable options for performance tuning. Good tools for managing content and usage. Support for dynamic SQL via Liquid templating, Persistent tables can enable lightweight ETL, tools for merging data across connections (lightweight data virtualization). There's a growing list of actions that can be triggered from the data.

What do you dislike?

Not as many visualization options as I'd like or color palettes. Somewhat hard for non-developers to extend models or add new dimensions / measures (the custom options help here, but could go further).

Everything. Providing company-wide visibility, optimizing conversion funnels for Product, Marketing, and Sales.

Looker review by Daniel B.
Daniel B.

"Great product, great team to work with"

What do you like best?

This product releases updates every 3-4 months, which is great for requesting new features. The client success team is also super easy and quick to work with via the chat application.

What do you dislike?

The price..very expensive. Also still waiting on a fix for automated reporting: when long reports are sent via email they tend to get cut off in PDF form, so the user has to log in to get their full report. Not ideal on weekends.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider whether or not this is in the right price range for your team.

We are using this tool to solve sales, operational, and content issues. This is a versatile tool that accepts data from many sources.

Looker review by Arinaitwe M.
Arinaitwe M.

"Looker is a very user friendly tool to dael with data"

What do you like best?

Iam able to make varius kinds of analysis of survey data.Thanks to looker.The visualisations are amazing too.The reports are awesome especially with the email reports which are pretty easy to generate using the varius shortcuts that make it possible.On the whole its all awesome.

What do you dislike?

It takes alot of random access memory.This makes everythingon the computer to slow down.It fails to work in relatively poor internet connection.Only works well in 3G and better connections.This makes it hard to use it rural areas which dont have a pretty ggood mobile connection.The Mobile phone interface if not easily usable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Amazing tool for data analysis and visualisation

Survey data analysis

Looker review by User in Internet

"Excellent Data Management Solution"

What do you like best?

I find the process of building out reports is extremely self explanatory, allowing for thorough reports to be put together quickly. Moreover, the ability to have dashboards that cannot be edited by users, but allows them to explore an individual report and make edits independently. It is also very convenient to set fixed dates for reporting, rather than GoodData that had much more confusing rules around time windows.

What do you dislike?

I have issues with creating drill-in's for large reports. Since Looker is being used across multiple departments with different needs, our Data team is responsible for adding drill-ins, which for some reason are visible across all reports. It is the one area where I find Looker falls behind its competitors. However, outside of that, the tool is very easy to use. It has a bit of a learning curve for building dashboards and looks, however its easier with each report built.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give this software a try, its very intuitive and flexible to your needs.

We manage a large amount of data across several departments. Looker has allowed for more accurate reporting, as well as making it easier for everyone to build their own which was hard on competitor platforms. We now have a more consistent source of truth for our data needs, and with dashboards being so modular, we are able to build new reports and implement them quickly.

Looker review by Chuka I.
Chuka I.

"Looker as a BI and a Visualization Tool is a force to reckon with!"

What do you like best?

Looker is a solid tool and I like that it offers good visualization options and has a native language that makes it easy to join a whole load of tables and write sql functions easily.

What do you dislike?

I don't not like the *table* visualization feature; also there's something of a learning curve; compared to Tableau, the former I'd say is easier to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure you've had a thorough demo of the product and can visualize how you'd use it; don't just sign up because Looker is hot. Instead, be convicted as to why to use Looker over Tableau.

We are solving just about every problem that requires data visualization, whether it's how sales quotas are being reached or finance and marketing goals are being met. The benefits are that with Looker, it's easy to share results and allow data users to be self-served.

Looker review by Kayvon B.
Kayvon B.

"Looker Review"

What do you like best?

Looker is a rather straightforward Business Intelligence tool. It allows our team to create reports and dashboards to analyze data in a very effective way. It provides a lot of flexibility and control to get real-time data as well.

What do you dislike?

The biggest con is that there seems to be a lot of lag time with Looker. I'm not sure if that's a problem on our end or Looker's database, but it's frustrating to sometimes have data lag up to 24 hours.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended!

It makes data more accessible to the entire sales team and allows each individual the opportunity to manipulate the data and run their own queries. Looker is a big time-saver!

Looker review by User in Computer Software

"Great tool for Sales & Sales Ops teams"

What do you like best?

Looker is great because every member of our team, regardless of their specific role, can get actionable data out of it.

I especially like the view breakdowns of the basic Looker fields alongside the actual SQL code. It gives it the duality of being super customizable but also usable by those who don't know SQL very well.

The shareable URL links used to get the exact view someone else is seeing are also very handy.

What do you dislike?

It's a little bit tough to get the hang of at first, since there are so many ways to dissect the data. This abundance of options makes it a bit overwhelming. The UX makes it a bit tricky to immediately get the exact Look you're looking for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You''ll need a lot of training initially with the product. We've found it 's a bit hard to roll it out to broader teams without careful planning on the training piece.

The biggest problem Looker solves for my team is the lack of advanced reporting in Salesforce. It makes cross-object reporting much easier. Everyone in our company uses it for different things however. Our data science team uses it quite differently than our marketing ops team.

"Digital Marketing Intelligence"

What do you like best?

For me as a digital marketer, I like that Looker makes it easy to find and visualize the data I need to be successful in my role. (I should probably learn SQL, but I don't and Looker is easy enough to use that I don't need to.)

What do you dislike?

For me, the only way that Looker could be more useful is if it was easy to integrate into my 3rd party ad serving platforms so that I could compare metrics from my internal databases with 3rd party metrics in a way that was easy for a non-technical marketer to implement.

Looker lets me see how my business is performing in real time.

Looker review by Shiyu Z.
Shiyu Z.

"Great platform for scaling analytics across organization"

What do you like best?

Easy for business users to use regardless of background - it really allows very broad organizational involvement for data and analytics. At the same time, similar data disciplines are still enforced across different users to avoid confusion and minimize churn.

What do you dislike?

Visualizations could be better and more features. While one can always do custom visualizations, I'd like to see more features working out of the box

Making the team data driven in decisions regarding product directions, and sales/operational improvements. So far the team is comfortable in using dashboards, reports, for a wide variety of questions.

Looker review by Trish P.
Trish P.

"I love Looker!"

What do you like best?

I find it pretty easy to learn and fast to integrate the data inputs that I have to create dashboards and get insights for my business.

What do you dislike?

I do find some of the UI to be slightly clunky (e.g. dashboard creation/editting could be a little bit easier/more seamless)

I'm usually solving internal operational metrics such as looking at the progress of our sales team and engagement of our users so we can manage any communications to get them to engage with the product.

Looker review by Adam R.
Adam R.

"Looker scales our ad hoc querying to every employee in the company"

What do you like best?

The best feature is the ability to share reports with everyone via a simple URL, which embeds the underlying SQL query. No report is a black box as the data lineage is always right at your fingertips.

What do you dislike?

First time users can be overwhelmed with options and no idea where to start. There's a learning curve that requires a minimum of training before users can get to a complete self-serve scenario.

Widespread ability to put data in the hands of decision makers without the need to go through an analytics or data support team.

Looker review by Administrator in Music
Administrator in Music

"Looker stats visualization "

What do you like best?

I really like the frequent features releases. The direct in-app chat for customer support is super handy.

It is also quite fast to provide reports and access dashboards once it is correctly setup.

It is also very easy to setup access for people.

What do you dislike?

Visualise data is still complicated. The charts module is quite limited compared to the other software like Tableau. The user interface is quite messy and full of options which confused a lot of our users. Big queries take a lot of time to be answered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker is best for visualizing BI tables and give access to data to your staff within your company or even externally.

However it's not the best when it comes to easily manipulating data (e.g. like Tableau) and join tables.

Also consider you users have to be properly trained to use Looker efficiently.

We wanted each of our team members to have access to the data they need for their day-to-day work.

Since we are a e-commerce they need real time access and ad-hoc reporting which is exactly what Looker is able to do.

Learn more about Looker

Looker Videos

Learning about Looker?

* We monitor all Looker reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.