Looker

Looker

Looker supports a discovery-driven culture throughout the organization; its web-based data discovery platform provides the power and finesse required by data analysts while empowering business users throughout the organization to find their own answers.

Work for Looker?

Learning about Looker?

Looker Reviews

Ask Looker a Question
Looker review by Chioma N.
Chioma N.

"Data Analytics for the non Data Savvy"

What do you like best?

Looker provides the way for companies with large data sets coming to be able to bring all the data to the employees to better understand the customer experience. For most companies every aspect of the company can benefit from insight into the data, but the data resources (data analysts) are not wide spread enough to be able to provide all of the analytical requests for all of the departments. Looker allows the entire company to be able to utilize the data platforms we have without a strain on the data analyst resources.

What do you dislike?

There are some limited functionality when it comes to the direct sql manipulation in the backend in conjunction with the sql derived tables. I would like more insight into all of the functionalities and how sql can be more easily manipulated for as much specificity as possible.

Funnel analysis, and retention are the main areas in which we can gain insights through looker

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Looker
Showing 240 Looker reviews
Looker review by Andrew B.
Andrew B.

"Wider audience able to run useful reports"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and the ability to share saved looks among coworkers.

What do you dislike?

I feel like custom dashboards are a missing element from the generic product offering. I would like to set up a page for every department leader that shows them relevant up-to-date information. There is an option to do this but it is far too complicated. When I reached out to looker for help I was surprised that they wanted to charge me so much to have someone help me set up these dashboards.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend having one single employee spend the time and energy necessary to really understand the product and all of it's capabilities. I think we use looker for about 50-70% of it's capabilities. Since it is no longer one individual persons job, we often don't have the time to learn about further capabilities.

We use looker generally to access information for nearly all departments. KPI tracking, customer performance, sales and marketing effectiveness, detecting issues, and running reports.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Looker
Looker review by Stephanie K.
Stephanie K.

"Business User Accessible BI Tool"

What do you like best?

Looker makes accessing customer and transactional data easy. From developing dashboards, charts and bespoke "Looks", our Marketing team were able to leverage insights about our customers, their purchasing history and trends with far greater easy than using BigQuery alone. Looker helped inform strategic decisions and business direction far more than we would have expected.

What do you dislike?

The ease at which a business user can navigate Looker is dependent on how well it has been set up by a technical expert. To add new dimensions or measures, or modify the way in which data is grouped, you will need to have technical support, which is often now always available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest in training super users within each discipline. We employees who were highly skilled with marketing, operations, merchandising and engineering. Each faculty will have unique needs, so investing in a few specialists will help each department make the most of the tool.

Looker has helped us accurately report on current and historical sales performance, across multiple dimensions. We've been able to streamline our reporting processes. Specifically for marketing, we've gained a better understanding of our Customer LTV and identification of opportunity customer segments, as well as evaluate our highest performing acquisition channels. We also gained abetter understanding of the products customers were purchasing, which is a challenging task given we have a customisable product.

What Business Intelligence Platforms solution do you use?

Looker review by Sergio F.
Sergio F.

"Data analytic and amazing learning"

What do you like best?

I like how Looker challenges me to push for more, dive deeper into the data and how easy to use it is. I really believe this is an amazing tool for data analytics and if you use it in a smart way it can help you improve your performance and business.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that sometimes there aren't enough variables to add to some looks and you have to request it to be done. I believe it would be more useful for the user to be able to implement any variable he wants.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore for yourself and never stop trying and learning. Looker is a great place to learn about every aspect of your business and space where you can improve your analytic skills.

I'm doing data analysis and it's helping me to perform better at my job. I've realised that looker has given me the tool to explore for myself and learn a lot, by making mistakes but making rights too.

Looker review by sam r.
sam r.

"A great tool for anyone to become an analyst"

What do you like best?

I love that you really don't need to know SQL to become an analyst and ask the right questions in Looker. I've trained my whole CSX team to use the tool and it has super charged us as a team.

What do you dislike?

I hate how long it takes since it never really caches the data. I have to really make sure the queries I write or the questions I ask are very limited as a result.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker is constantly making updates, they ship very quickly. I have a positive outlook of this product.

I have a real pulse on my business now. I know things basically in real time, and the visualizations have gotten much better in the 3 years I have used it.

Looker review by Administrator

"Powerful tool for data, not very new-user friendly"

What do you like best?

-Looker has an extensive data modelling layer ( not to be confused with statistical modelling). This is a feature that makes it stand apart from other tools. With the help of PDTs, we implement a lot of data transformation which wouldn't be very efficient on just another BI tool.

-With just a few lines of LookML code, you can join different data from source tables and view these fields in one place to be able to build Looks on it, without writing long lines of sql.

-Once you build a Look (one report) with drag/drop and filters, it is easy to to visualize data, add calculation fields, etc.

-When you run an individual look, you can see the underlying SQL generated and you can easily figure out if the report is doing exactly what you need it to

-Admin features like content validator let you check if changing views/dimensions/measures at one place is affecting anything else the rest of you ecosystem.

-Prompt Customer Support

What do you dislike?

-Slow learning curve - The terminologies like Looks, Explore, Model etc, as well as the site navigation for these is not very intuitive to a first time user, even thought he/she might be experienced in other BI tools. LookML might also seem non-intuitive at first, but is easy to learn and very useful.

-Data Visualization options are plenty, but not as great as other tools.

-Some complicated Looks tend to load very slowly, even though the actual query would have run pretty fast. Affects load time in Dashboards as well API

- Can be time consuming for exploratory analysis - but best once you know exactly what to implement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need some tool to provide reports to a large amount of audience, make it self serve to an extent and have a strong team to manage it, you can go for it.

We have been able to implement a whole lot of our reporting requirements in Looker. Some of the savvy sales or higher management are able to gather simple insights from the UI by themselves. Daily/monthly tracking happens through dashboards in mails or UI.

Looker review by John B.
John B.

"Looker stands above the competition"

What do you like best?

Looker absolutely has the best people and technology in this industry. I was absolutely blown away by the quality of the support that they're able to provide, and with incredible speed. This is a company that really cares about its people and its customers; it's clear that they invest in both.

Within our proof of concept, Looker was able to form a genuine partnership, making solid recommendations that will yield rapid results.

On top of that, Looker has granular permissions, robust administration tools that allow for setting permissions by group or individual, and the ability to design what end-users can or cannot change within their environment.

Finally, Looker has a public help-center that has a wealth of excellent information, both written and on video. Don't overlook this, or you'll sell yourself short.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, Looker isn't free. While there is a need to learn a new language, the language is intuitive and relatively fast to learn if you're relatively experienced with SQL.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare Looker to other products in the same space simultaneously. For us, Looker was the clear winner.

- Health scores are becoming a reality

- Cohort analysis is starting to take shape

- Detailed analysis of a huge dataset

- Streamlining internal processes to ensure we are able to service more customers in a shorter timeframe, and with greater quality.

- Visualizations and the ability to embed those views and visualizations into a view that our customers could use.

Looker review by User

"Accessible Data for the Whole Team."

What do you like best?

Looker is a frictionless experience for end user's of varying technical background. In a very short time the user can be fully up to speed and gathering data, pulling reports for their various projects. There are many times that we've been able to use Looker to actively reinforce and validate an assumption a member of our team has had without calling upon anyone within our Data team to facilitate the discussion. Looker was easily accessed for the information.

What do you dislike?

It is hard for me to say. I know a lot of what I experience is going to be due to configuration and not necessarily a result of the product itself. That said, one thing I'm curious about would be the ability to access realtime data and see a query automatically update within a given dashboard. I feel as though this, as well, is going to be more of a configuration piece as opposed to a 'tool' specific dislike.

Right now our primary usage is going to be within the area of Business Intelligence and discovery. Through the usage in this way, we've been able to discover trends, research issues, and further validate assumptions that began to form.

Looker has allowed the entire team to be more data driven while no longer needing to directly rely on and take the time of those that are the 'keepers' of the data. We are now all able to intelligently make decisions based on data gleaned on an 'on demand' basis.

Looker review by Paul S.
Paul S.

"Disseminate key data easily across your org"

What do you like best?

Looker's made it easy for our entire team to stay up-to-date on our most KPIs. It's charting software allows us to visualize data in many different ways and assemble dashboards that fill us in on what we need to know immediately.

What do you dislike?

It takes a bit of time to get up and running with Looker and LookML--it might require one or two members of your team to dedicate a significant amount of time to learn how to use Looker and own creating dashboards.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a starter solution, Chart.io is pretty good. You will likely hit a point where it doesn't solve all your needs, though.

Before Looker, very few of our team members had access to how we were performing against KPIs and those folks would always be battered with questions around how the product was doing. Now, anyone can hop into Looker and answer those questions themselves, saving time and spreading insight.

Looker review by krithika p.
krithika p.

"Powerful tool but not intuitive"

What do you like best?

- Lots of cool visualizations like sankey and box plots in addition to the standard stuff

- I like that you can take a look created by someone an modify it to meet you own needs

- Ability to manage my data needs using the personal space

- Dashboard creation tools

What do you dislike?

- Not the most intuitive tool to pick up. I used mixed panel and google analytics before & there was a learning curve with this one in comparison!

- Sometimes the looks are slow to load.

- Not sure if this is a looker thing or the way we have implemented things but there are so many tables & its hard to know which table to start with for the data Im looking for

-Calculation field is useful but not intuitive!

Make product decisions based on data

See user behavior patterns

Looker review by User

"It's good for even a novice"

What do you like best?

I like that I can see the LookML for all measures as this allows me to verify that they care calculating things correctly. Many of our operating procedures are esoteric and it's helpful for me to be able to make sure that we are accurately representing the metrics.

What do you dislike?

Some navigational quirks that I haven't fully worked out. Example: Sometimes I'll be working in a Look and then realize that I want to save it but don't want to overwrite the existing Look, and I'm either not able to or have not yet figured out how to "Save As" in that scenario to save the modified Look as a new Look altogether.

Democratization of data. Even those that do not know SQL and other more advanced data science skills can put together simple to complex reports. Also, used for tracking business progress against KPI's for executive team.

Looker review by User in Computer Software

"Great tool for visualisations"

What do you like best?

Looker offers a wide range of attractive as well as useful visualisations, without compromising on performance at the same time. Most other similar tools focus on just one and lose out on the other.

What do you dislike?

While Looker offers the capability to work with multiple data sources, this isn't capitalised to its full extent. Adding new data sources to Looker can be a very cumbersome process - it has lots of points of failure. This needs to be made simpler.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to simplify the process of self-serviced analytics and require wide range of visualisation options, go for Looker. These are areas where Looker is probably the best tool available.

Looker plays a vital role in the reporting infrastructure. To some extent, it acts as a bridge between data and insights - and it does a brilliant job of it too!

Looker review by Diana S.
Diana S.

"Amazing experience for both business users and developers"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and amazing customer support are by far their best selling features. As a developer it's invaluable to have someone right away to help you with your problem, saving a lot of time and patience. As an end user, the navigating and use experience is really important on determining the level of trust in the data and the tool, and second, the likelyhood that they're going to continue trying to get insights from data. The platform used is very important and Looker achieves that successfully!

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike, but some very minor inconveniences such as browsing between the documentation platform and the forums.

Looker has helped us get rid of the data breadline and give data to the users when they want and how they want it without relying on someone to hand it to them. It's also allowed us to spread data and data usage to more than just a handful of users, spreading it at company level so everyone can get insights out of their data.

Looker review by Stephanie C.
Stephanie C.

"Looker is very awesome to use!"

What do you like best?

Looker's UI is very simple and easy to use. Looker also has a lot of great documentation online which makes it simple to throw together LookML (view and model) and then build out the visualizations and plop them onto a dashboard. I've held Looker training sessions for my coworkers and most of my training materials were created from Looker's training materials; they're super easy to understand because the underlying product itself is simple to use.

What do you dislike?

I think the only bad part for me is the multiple Explores that our team has built, and not knowing which one people are still using and which ones are obsolete and therefore sometimes we have multiple views for similar things. Another dislike is probably is a very specific use case; it's hard to build out an all-comprehensive explore that can answer all KPI related questions from the company. It seems most explores are very specific to teams and therefore new users sometimes get confused where to start looking and how to go about finding the answers to their questions.

Our company is using Looker as a self-service reporting and dashboarding tool. This has already been achieved and most users at the company love to use Lookers. People that are willing to let go of using Excel have found Looker's table calculations to be super helpful.

Looker review by Greg R.
Greg R.

"Looker allows us to keep a pulse on all parts of the business"

What do you like best?

After some initial setup, looker allows you to very quickly model any metrics / data relevant to your business. We use it to keep up to date information about engagement and usage of all parts our SaaS application. The visual graphs and displays are easy to setup and modify.

What do you dislike?

For simple use cases, I wish Looker would auto-generate the schema for the user to make setup even easier.

Looker allows us to have transparency into our product's usage and performance. It also allows engineers to build out the visual language the business users can use themselves to answer questions.

Looker review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Looker Looker Who Uses Looker"

What do you like best?

Looker is a very powerful tool. They have a clean UI and tons of functionality. I really like the reports and dashboards that you can set up with looker. We use looker to run reports for everything, sales, account management, users, engineering, etc so it can be used in all areas of the business.

What do you dislike?

This may be just because of training or because I don't use the system enough but there is so much in there it can be difficult to get the exact report you are looking to pull. It's like a huge spreadhseet on steroids so if you're not using it daily it can take some time to get the data you need exact.

Recommendations to others considering the product

seems to have all of the functionalities needed.

Dashboards

Customer Reports

Marketing

Looker review by Erin B.
Erin B.

"An Analytics Tool that Goes Above and Beyond"

What do you like best?

I absolutely love Looker's customer support. I a a lookml developer, and Looker has chat support from 9-6. This has saved my day on many occasions, and one of the main reasons I will always recommend looker. I also love the flexibility of the tool, and the ability to use the tool for both operations and executive dashboard. Looker is usable for operations because it gives the option of digging in to the granular data

What do you dislike?

There is not much I dislike. There is always room for improvement with this tool tho. Organization around charts/dashboard, as well as better organization around fields that are usable to explore

Allowing every team (product, growth, operations) to analyze their own data without a data analyst running queries for them. We also have high level dashboard that exec team needs. We even use this for financial reporting on a high level

Looker review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"Flexibility and Innovation"

What do you like best?

The flexibility and capability is top notch. Looker is really quick to innovate and add new features. We love that the entire of basis of Looker is about querying your database in real-time. With this, there's a lot of transparency into why a query isn't running or why results aren't as expected.

What do you dislike?

The support team is great about referring you to the right documentation (which can be hard to find), but they're not as great about coming up with creative solutions to unique problems. Oftentimes it will result in a mention to the product team. More visibility into the feature roadmap would go a long way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It isn't the most intuitive of the BI tools, but if you have someone that can dedicate some part time energy towards maintaining and troubleshooting, then the capabilities are superior to most anything out there.

The main business goal of looker has been making data more accessible for the data team and business users. The obvious benefit has been less reliance on the senior data analysts.

Looker review by Cyril M.
Cyril M.

"One of the greatest BI tool I've used"

What do you like best?

Looker is THE tool for business that are passed Stage 2 in Business Intelligence (meaning past dashboarding prepared by the only BI person where no exploration is possible). Data exploration experience is made (almost) dead easy. Dashboarding is even easier and the UI is just close to perfect.

Also the scheduling is an amazing feature that combined with other platforms like Zapier, Slack, MailChimp, Google Sheet, etc. opens up a whole new level of BI possibilities!

What do you dislike?

Space Management is maybe not quite optimal. It would be great to restrict access to spaces (not only user spaces).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have an inhouse Data geek person that knows how to deal with Redshift (or an engineer that can help with that) then you're all set! Looker is that easy to setup and maintain.

We wanted to find a tool that would enable us to easily explore data (meaning so that a non-technical person could drill into data without having another person running the reports), easily build dashboards and schedule reports by email.

Looker answered all those requirements.

Looker review by Bridge M.
Bridge M.

"Looker is great, the limitations are worth it"

What do you like best?

I like how quickly it is to share data and information with someone across our company, especially in a visual way to aid in understanding.

What do you dislike?

With Looker, there is a lot that you can do ... and some things that you can't do. The things that you can't do are frustrating and sometimes surprising. There are at times workarounds, and other times there are not.

Looker is not great for stand-alone graphics, which is a limitation. It is also still cumbersome for an average employee to navigate Looker without help from someone well versed in Looker. Nonetheless, I've been surprised at how quickly adoption throughout the org and Looker truly as "the source of truth" is available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker has limitations, but as long as it solves the main problem you are looking for, it's great. I would highly recommend it and really value the discourse community, support, and consistent monthly releases which have a lot of updates and improvements

We use Looker for internal business analytics. It sits on top of Redshift, which is where we store both production data as well as data from other tools (e.g. Salesforce, Segment, Desk), which is then combined in Looker.

Looker is typically used for our business KPIs

Looker review by Daniel W.
Daniel W.

"Easy to use and very powerful"

What do you like best?

Ease of development. Because Looker is based on SQL, it's easy for us to model new data sources quickly. As a startup, our application data models change frequently, and it's easy for our team to adapt.

What do you dislike?

Some end-users struggle to use the tool. However, Looker has steadily been releasing features that make it more user-friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get someone with Looker experience to do your initial data modeling.

Providing easy access to data.

One benefit I didn't foresee going in is the new API. It's meant that for many cases, we can centralize data munging. For example - building predictive models often requires a lot of data manipulation to create features. With the API, we can do the data manipulation just once in Looker, and hit the API for datasets for our models (previously, we would have had to reproduce the data manipulation in Python). We can then display the outputs of the predictive models in Looker, right next to the underlying features.

Looker review by Zach L.
Zach L.

"Looker Rocks"

What do you like best?

On Looker, we can make views that have many tables pre-joined. This makes exploring data way easier for users who aren't comfortable in SQL, making joins. It's also easier for our power users to do data pulls quickly.

What do you dislike?

1. The platform is not as flexible as SQL. There isn't a good way to do inner queries or case statements. You can't sort things by calculated fields when there are limits.

2. Exploring isn't that easy. It has a substantial learning curve and there are not as many UI options as Tableau has.

3. Looker is not pretty. Tableau makes much prettier charts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker requires a lot of upfront work but is worth it for data-driven companies. Teach everyone in your company how to explore right away.

Before we used Looker, very few people in the company had access to the data. Now over 80% of our company uses Looker for reporting, and many people are able to explore their own data.

Looker review by User in Internet

"Mission Critical BI tool"

What do you like best?

As a sales user of any BI tool, what matters most is being able to access the basics, generate a "look" or report and then work with the data team to enhance and iterate.

What do you dislike?

Again, as a sales user, I need help from other teams to get the most out of the tool when I want to extract what I want to extract from the warehouse.

Creating a killer dashboard requires assistance too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Create standard reports for a broad set of users in the org before you roll it out to the org. Ensure that there is a central team who owns enabling other teams to get the most out of the investment.

Visibility. Needing to surface everything from user data, to performance data, and a laundry list of others, Looker delivers on giving people, across different teams, and different applications, the access to the data they need to do their job and do it better than before.

Looker review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Clean and pretty user-friendly"

What do you like best?

The filtering options are very nice & allow you to drill down narrowly to pull data. Visualizations are also pretty slick & there is a lot of customization available to make it represent your data best.

What do you dislike?

I get a bit hung up on some data points being available in certain tables & not in others. Can make it a challenge to figure out where to start a new look if not using one that's already saved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do you have someone available to build the tables appropriately and troubleshoot as needed?

I mostly use Looker for performance analysis of our emails or our inventory. It's extremely helpful to give data points that prove / disprove theories we test in our email channel.

Looker review by Dylan H.
Dylan H.

"BI Analyst Implementing Looker"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and understandable interface make it easy for my team to use, so I no longer need to write queries all the time. The also have great staff who are really helpful!

What do you dislike?

The visuals are lacking and we still have some features we would like to see implemented, like conditional formatting. Mostly, there are very few negatives I could say

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would try Looker! The ease of use and flexibility make it a great product for any cloud oriented team. I particularly like the ability to auto upload data into Google Docs for extremely flexible dashboarding.

Looker allows everyone in my company to manipulate and view the data. It lets users of all levels work as they like. The levels of access even allow teams like our finance team to access what they need without any issues. I have realized an added boost to my time, which I can spend on new data sources and more analysis!

Looker review by Michael S.
Michael S.

"Disruptive BI in a crowded market"

What do you like best?

I really like how Looker has changed the model from "traditional BI tools". I don't know of one company that develops a BI platform with just one person. There is always a team or different groups of individuals contributing. Looker with their LookML at it's core, is uniquely suited for this environment.

I also love the number of significant releases Looker puts out each 4 to 6 weeks. With many vendors the "dot releases". have a few enhancements here and there. It seems like Looker is always delivering some seriously helpful functions each release.

What do you dislike?

because Looker focused on the foundation of the house (where it makes sense), some of the product needs some finish work. The interface has come a long way but it is still missing some basics like sub total in reports, font control, column width, that sort of thing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Review the product from a real world perspective where you will have different levels of users all collaborating on the same data sets. Don't just go through the standard BI checklist that lists 'number of colors' or 'how many charts' can you make.

We are doing in depth analysis of our customers behavior with our product. We track all of their actions and analyze this data so that we can determine how to best serve our customers and anticipate their future needs. It involves a lot of data analyzed along a number of different dimensions.

Looker review by Kate C.
Kate C.

"Amazing Product for Getting Deep in the Data from an Awesome and Supportive Company"

What do you like best?

I love that it's super easy to give everyone in my company access to the data. Also I like the fact that LookML allows me to build in calculations and derived tables so I can automate and unify metrics for reporting. The support team is super awesome and helpful. Also I love the fact that Looker is constantly improving every release I get excited by a new feature and I have seen things that I felt we missing appear a couple of months laters. I have a lot of confidence that Looker will keep delivering a high quality product to me.

What do you dislike?

Table calculations are still a little stiff. They have definitely improved since they were initially rolled out, but I would love it if I could dump Excel entirely but unfortunately table calculations aren't there yet. Also I have found that the models lock you into one join path which means that some times I have to make to explores with similar tables just so the joins work better. In terms of looking at my database Looker is fantastic but it can't be our sole BI tool because it only looks at the database. This has been a main complaint of my management team which really doesn't care about the nitty gritty data of the business and just wants to see the overall picture from lots of different source.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker is most useful you have a large percentage of your data in a database and have a need to see specific pieces of data often. Then I highly recommend it because it allows you lots of flexibility to view your data lots of different ways. If you are the type of company that's ok with lots of static dashboards or you have lots of data stored in vendor tools then you probably aren't going to get a lot of value out of Looker.

Looker allows use to have visibility in to financial data before the books close because we can see as users make purchases and we pay vendors. It also allows are merchandising and account management team keep a close eye on customers and reviews allowing us to change our product offerings and reach out to ailing customers. We also have access to how our ops teams are doing to id which teams are delivery for effectively. Overall the great thing is Looker allows to spot problems through dashboards and alerts and then drill down to they very specific cause of the issue. This is super important in a business like ours which is daily and very operations heavy.

Looker review by Mark B.
Mark B.

"Powerful, flexible, transparent data analysis tool for data visibility at every level of the company"

What do you like best?

There are several things I like best:

- The ability to build a model with lookml for data analysis without building tables and etl. This is much more flexible, allowing you to adjust it as you go along. No more building for months to find out that it isn't quite what is needed now. I have done major refactoring twice that would have been weeks of work the old way, it took one day with Looker.

- The transparency of lookml. I have had the CFO of our company click to look at the lookml and copy and paste it into an email with corrections on a calculation. Makes it easy for users and for me.

- The power of lookml to make transformations easy and reusable. We use Fivetran for ETL and Redshift for the storage and have accomplished months of work in days.

What do you dislike?

There are some limitations to modeling this way, when you need more advanced options such as slowly changing dimensions or snapshot transaction fact tables, you will need to add some more traditional data warehouse ETL and tables in, but this is a very good option for the other 90+%.

Looker is working on an option for this, stay tuned. When tables can be updated as well as reloaded it will be 100%.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is worth learning lookml if you are not a developer, it is consistent and straightforward. Looker models give much more flexibility than other reporting tools that use data sets.

This is great for small companies that could never afford to hire a team to build a traditional data warehouse.

Visibility of data to the lowest level in the format needed so that the people doing the work can make informed decisions in real time. Using LookML, it is simple to display data in multiple formats for different purposes.

Looker review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Sales Analyst at SpotHero"

What do you like best?

The ease of access to our data is literally changing the way our organization functions. As a data analyst I am able to reuse analysis and roll out dashboards to entire teams who can customize them to fit their market. Once the explores are set up, prototyping dashboards and running ad-hoc analysis takes a fraction of the time it would take to write these queries by hand in SQL.

What do you dislike?

Some limited functionality at this point, in particularly the scheduled email visualizations could be improved. However, they are constantly improving with new releases scheduled every month!

Recommendations to others considering the product

In order to get the most out of Looker you have to optimize your redshift cluster. Hopefully someone on your team has data engineering skills as this will dramatically improve the speed of your queries.

Because we have been able to automate and reduce the amount of time spent on Ad-Hoc reporting we have expanded to work on more complex data sets. We've moved beyond our financial data to all sorts of user behavior data like search demand which will allow us to optimize prices across our platform.

Looker review by Michael E. G.
Michael E. G.

"Surprisingly powerful with some love"

What do you like best?

Looker provides you incredible control over the minutia of your data, helping democratize data exploration and analysis. Few tools I've looked at provide that level of visibility, and none have the equivalent amount of control.

What do you dislike?

...that control comes with a price: LookML. While LookML is easy to pick up and is incredibly useful for avoiding costly transformation jobs pre-warehouse, it does add complexity and maintenance cost as data models change.

Further, for non-technical users, the learning curve can be a bit steep. Adoption requires a bit of evangelism across the organization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have someone on-staff or budget for contractors to maintain your data models within Looker or else you're going to have a bad time.

We have a mountain of data that needs to be exposed to various business owners. Our products have incredible scope, so summarizing the key data feeds and goals for owners across the org allows us to all operate on the same data sets rather than on competing spreadsheets. With Looker, we can make better data-influenced decisions.

As the tool gets better and more widely-adopted, I only expect that to improve.

Looker review by Aaron G.
Aaron G.

"Looker BI Tool Review"

What do you like best?

The ability to be able to write lookml and quickly push it into production is very beneficial. It being browser based is also amazing, no need to download things. Just log in to any browser and it is there.

What do you dislike?

Some of the visualization tools are just not there yet. It could really use some more capability there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The real benefit to this platform is the ease of use for the end user. They really only need to learn to click the mouse. However that being said the users experience will really depend on the setup of the product by the admin team. It really helps to write documentation as you are setting things up. That was one mistake that we made in our set up was that we skipped the documentation portion and our users ability to understand some things were limited and ended up costing us more time in the long run.

We currently run looker on Redshift, Hadoop/Spark and have found that generally Redshift meets almost all business needs. Hadoop/Spark we use for some of our larger datasets and there are times when redshift is still faster. Looker runs really well with redshift, we had little to no setup issues. We did have some issues with our Hadoop/Spark setup but Looker was super helpful in assisting us in getting some of the bugs worked out A+ on support from their end, they are very responsive.

User access to data. No need for people to learn sql queries or know any kind of coding. a quick tutorial and you are working.

Looker review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great for connecting dashboards directly to data"

What do you like best?

The thing I love about Looker is its functionality for storing data models. I often need to manipulate raw data before reporting on it or visualizing it in a dashboard, and Looker allows me to easily manipulate raw data directly from its source and store the data model so that it can be used again in the future.

What do you dislike?

I have some trouble making visualizations exactly to my liking in Looker. It can handle basic charts such as line and bar graphs well, but when I want to create a complex visualization I often find myself longing for more customization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would request a demo of Looker. If you contact them through their website they will let you set up a "POC" using your own data

I turn raw data into insight using Looker. I create data models that can be shared with my team and create dashboards/visualizations from this data. Looker has allowed me to easily share this work across my team so that duplicated efforts are avoided.

Looker review by Gülsen G.
Gülsen G.

"Having Looker implemented made us know our numbers anytime we want, without a need of a developer"

What do you like best?

Looker, once implemented and instructed on how it can make sense of the data (once it knows what our data means) made us free from any development need whenever we want to extract metrics on the product usage. This is the best tool we tried for the metrics. The best thing about it that everyone in the whole company can reach it and create their own dashboards, spaces, looks etc.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far :) We are quite happy with the product so far.

We are getting all the metrics we need through Looker. So far, we sent sales data, product usage data, support contact frequency & topics of the customers, digital marketing data... everything!

Looker review by Daniel B.
Daniel B.

"Great product, great team to work with"

What do you like best?

This product releases updates every 3-4 months, which is great for requesting new features. The client success team is also super easy and quick to work with via the chat application.

What do you dislike?

The price..very expensive. Also still waiting on a fix for automated reporting: when long reports are sent via email they tend to get cut off in PDF form, so the user has to log in to get their full report. Not ideal on weekends.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider whether or not this is in the right price range for your team.

We are using this tool to solve sales, operational, and content issues. This is a versatile tool that accepts data from many sources.

Looker review by Arinaitwe M.
Arinaitwe M.

"Looker is a very user friendly tool to dael with data"

What do you like best?

Iam able to make varius kinds of analysis of survey data.Thanks to looker.The visualisations are amazing too.The reports are awesome especially with the email reports which are pretty easy to generate using the varius shortcuts that make it possible.On the whole its all awesome.

What do you dislike?

It takes alot of random access memory.This makes everythingon the computer to slow down.It fails to work in relatively poor internet connection.Only works well in 3G and better connections.This makes it hard to use it rural areas which dont have a pretty ggood mobile connection.The Mobile phone interface if not easily usable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Amazing tool for data analysis and visualisation

Survey data analysis

Looker review by User in Internet

"Excellent Data Management Solution"

What do you like best?

I find the process of building out reports is extremely self explanatory, allowing for thorough reports to be put together quickly. Moreover, the ability to have dashboards that cannot be edited by users, but allows them to explore an individual report and make edits independently. It is also very convenient to set fixed dates for reporting, rather than GoodData that had much more confusing rules around time windows.

What do you dislike?

I have issues with creating drill-in's for large reports. Since Looker is being used across multiple departments with different needs, our Data team is responsible for adding drill-ins, which for some reason are visible across all reports. It is the one area where I find Looker falls behind its competitors. However, outside of that, the tool is very easy to use. It has a bit of a learning curve for building dashboards and looks, however its easier with each report built.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give this software a try, its very intuitive and flexible to your needs.

We manage a large amount of data across several departments. Looker has allowed for more accurate reporting, as well as making it easier for everyone to build their own which was hard on competitor platforms. We now have a more consistent source of truth for our data needs, and with dashboards being so modular, we are able to build new reports and implement them quickly.

Looker review by Chuka I.
Chuka I.

"Looker as a BI and a Visualization Tool is a force to reckon with!"

What do you like best?

Looker is a solid tool and I like that it offers good visualization options and has a native language that makes it easy to join a whole load of tables and write sql functions easily.

What do you dislike?

I don't not like the *table* visualization feature; also there's something of a learning curve; compared to Tableau, the former I'd say is easier to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure you've had a thorough demo of the product and can visualize how you'd use it; don't just sign up because Looker is hot. Instead, be convicted as to why to use Looker over Tableau.

We are solving just about every problem that requires data visualization, whether it's how sales quotas are being reached or finance and marketing goals are being met. The benefits are that with Looker, it's easy to share results and allow data users to be self-served.

Looker review by Kayvon B.
Kayvon B.

"Looker Review"

What do you like best?

Looker is a rather straightforward Business Intelligence tool. It allows our team to create reports and dashboards to analyze data in a very effective way. It provides a lot of flexibility and control to get real-time data as well.

What do you dislike?

The biggest con is that there seems to be a lot of lag time with Looker. I'm not sure if that's a problem on our end or Looker's database, but it's frustrating to sometimes have data lag up to 24 hours.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended!

It makes data more accessible to the entire sales team and allows each individual the opportunity to manipulate the data and run their own queries. Looker is a big time-saver!

Looker review by User in Computer Software

"Great tool for Sales & Sales Ops teams"

What do you like best?

Looker is great because every member of our team, regardless of their specific role, can get actionable data out of it.

I especially like the view breakdowns of the basic Looker fields alongside the actual SQL code. It gives it the duality of being super customizable but also usable by those who don't know SQL very well.

The shareable URL links used to get the exact view someone else is seeing are also very handy.

What do you dislike?

It's a little bit tough to get the hang of at first, since there are so many ways to dissect the data. This abundance of options makes it a bit overwhelming. The UX makes it a bit tricky to immediately get the exact Look you're looking for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You''ll need a lot of training initially with the product. We've found it 's a bit hard to roll it out to broader teams without careful planning on the training piece.

The biggest problem Looker solves for my team is the lack of advanced reporting in Salesforce. It makes cross-object reporting much easier. Everyone in our company uses it for different things however. Our data science team uses it quite differently than our marketing ops team.

"Digital Marketing Intelligence"

What do you like best?

For me as a digital marketer, I like that Looker makes it easy to find and visualize the data I need to be successful in my role. (I should probably learn SQL, but I don't and Looker is easy enough to use that I don't need to.)

What do you dislike?

For me, the only way that Looker could be more useful is if it was easy to integrate into my 3rd party ad serving platforms so that I could compare metrics from my internal databases with 3rd party metrics in a way that was easy for a non-technical marketer to implement.

Looker lets me see how my business is performing in real time.

Looker review by Trish P.
Trish P.

"I love Looker!"

What do you like best?

I find it pretty easy to learn and fast to integrate the data inputs that I have to create dashboards and get insights for my business.

What do you dislike?

I do find some of the UI to be slightly clunky (e.g. dashboard creation/editting could be a little bit easier/more seamless)

I'm usually solving internal operational metrics such as looking at the progress of our sales team and engagement of our users so we can manage any communications to get them to engage with the product.

Looker review by Administrator in Music
Administrator in Music

"Looker stats visualization "

What do you like best?

I really like the frequent features releases. The direct in-app chat for customer support is super handy.

It is also quite fast to provide reports and access dashboards once it is correctly setup.

It is also very easy to setup access for people.

What do you dislike?

Visualise data is still complicated. The charts module is quite limited compared to the other software like Tableau. The user interface is quite messy and full of options which confused a lot of our users. Big queries take a lot of time to be answered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker is best for visualizing BI tables and give access to data to your staff within your company or even externally.

However it's not the best when it comes to easily manipulating data (e.g. like Tableau) and join tables.

Also consider you users have to be properly trained to use Looker efficiently.

We wanted each of our team members to have access to the data they need for their day-to-day work.

Since we are a e-commerce they need real time access and ad-hoc reporting which is exactly what Looker is able to do.

Looker review by Jeff M.
Jeff M.

"Excellent choice for growing startups"

What do you like best?

3 things:

* Easy to develop for. All engineers across the company can make new data available for their team. LookML has it's quirks but once you understand it, it's very easy to work with.

* Easy for end-users to use. It's relatively straight-forward to learn. Going through a few exercises is usually sufficient for people to get started and then learn on their own.

* Misc stuff: excellent support (fantastic emails back in an hour even though we're in Europe and they're in SF), On-prem option (important for us), monthly release cadence & responsive developers (eager to take on our feedback)

What do you dislike?

* Visualization isn't nearly as strong as Tableau. For instance, panel charts, conditional coloring, more complex combinations of data on one chart. Parameters aren't that well implemented.

* Caching is poor which means that the vast majority of queries hit the database and to end users, it appears slow.

* Price structure might make it inappropriate for companies that are small

Recommendations to others considering the product

Trial Looker & Trial a few competitors. See if it suits your needs. It works particularly well if you don't really have a central BI team and want your teams to do as much as possible on their own.

It may be inappropriate price-wise if you're too small. It's not good for modelling (use R or python), or if you need some super fancy graphs/charts (use Tableau).

A few things:

* Supports our autonomous teams - our teams have to be self-sufficient including data, reporting & analytics. With looker, almost all teams can do this. Teams are empowered to explore the data themselves immediately and it tightens the build > learn feedback loop

* Little central admin - Infra spends an hour a week, I spend 2-3 hr a week doing admin tasks, and that supports 200 users + 2K new data explorations a week

Looker review by User

"Very helpful for non-technical Account Managers"

What do you like best?

Looker makes it really easy to look at large swaths of data without needing to use SQL.

What do you dislike?

Because our data is stored in different places, important metrics often aren't available in the same look (views, clicks etc.). The variations of looks are not always named intuitively and so don't get used. We also don't use the visualize data function because we're looking at too much data.

Our dashboard doesn't have robust enough information for our clients, and not enough of our support and Account Management team know how to write SQL queries or Hive queries to extract information for insights.

Looker review by Rick S.
Rick S.

"Very quickly went into production"

What do you like best?

How fast we got it up and running.

We rolled it out a month and a half *ahead* of schedule.

We are currently implementing "phase 2" for our rollout plan, which was scheduled for next year.

On the end-user side, positive reviews have come from the ease with which data can pivot and how quickly a business user can ask follow-up questions of the data, and go from answer to followup question to next answer.

What do you dislike?

If you have silo'd data, you can connect to each one (this is a positive). You can display information from the different databases along side each other on the same dashboard. However, you cannot yet run calculations across the data results.

That being said, we had originally checked out Looker 18 months ago. At that time we made the decision to go with a different tool, specifically because that other tool had this capability that we desperately needed. Unfortunately, that tool was difficult for our end-users to use and painful for our data folks to setup. (of the 25 people we had originally rolled the other tool out to, only 2 ended up using the tool regularly. In contrast, of the 50 users we have on Looker right now, 35 are using it more than twice a week, according to the logs)

We solved the silo'd data problem, by moving our data to a single database. (This of course had additional benefits outside of looker use)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Put some of your own data behind it. Start with something manageable, not your most important or pertinent project. This applies to any BI tool you are testing

We are fortunate in that as a whole, our business users are extremely savvy. When we give them data, they run with it. Some companies struggle with encouraging their employees to be more data-centric. We were struggling in that we could not keep up with all of the requests for data.

Looker has given our data team scale of reach, able to handle our company's requests and move from reactive reporting to the point where we now have spare cycles to focus on proactive analysis.

Looker review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Robust and easy to get going quickly"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it was to get going with Looker. Everything you need is at your finger tips from the moment you sign up. I didn't have to worry about training others to use the platform, they were easily able to understand how Looker works and were up and running in no time.

There are also tons of great resources to help you accomplish what you need. Their live chat support has also been clutch in a bind.

What do you dislike?

Some challenges we've run into with Looker have been more around data sources. It is excellent for tying into Redshift or PostgreSQL, however we'd love to be able to point an API end point to it or integrate with Parse.

We are using Looker to monitor our end-user usage data over time and to track internal operational efficiency of tasks. We've uncovered some really interesting trends that wouldn't have been as obvious with a SQL query.

We've also setup dedicated monitors in our office to display the dashboards we've created with Looker. So pretty. So informative.

Looker review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"The best BI tool out there"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and implementation are unbelievably simple, and the Support team is above and beyond anything I've seen before.

You can design dashboards and create datasets that are easily accessible and shareable within seconds.

The fact that you can integrate all your data sources into a single one and merge them into a dynamically interacting holistic data system.

What do you dislike?

Depending on the amount of data you're processing it can get a bit slow sometimes.

It's difficult to think of any other problems that can't be solved through contacting their support team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a go.

Ease of access to reports, exploration of data without technical language insights, scheduling of reports, sharing of data, etc.

Looker review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"Perfect solution for embedded, multi-tenant BI"

What do you like best?

Looker was very easy to embed in our existing web interface. Because we are a multi-tenant platform, user based access controls and data security are paramount - and are well supported by Looker.

What do you dislike?

I'd love to be able to build custom D3 visualizations in the hosted version of Looker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a strong engineering and data culture, have an existing dataset and ETLs, and just need a bolt-on BI solution then Looker may be exactly what you need. If don't have an existing data warehouse, ETLs, and access to data analysts, your mileage may vary, but Looker's enablement team can help point you in the right direction for all of those things. If you need a fully managed BI service, and don't have internal resources to develop your own data models, views, and reports - Looker may not be the perfect solution.

Our end users are large, multi-location advertisers and the agencies who serve them. They need to analyze their advertising campaigns, spend, and effectiveness. They need to be able to view advertising metrics across many different dimensions and time-frames. They need to see results in aggregate and broken out by location, campaign, media channel, etc.

Using Looker, we were able to quickly embed high quality dashboards directly into our user interface. Users have direct access to their data. They can view pre-built reports, build their own dashboards, and even schedule reports and alerts. Our platform is much more usable, intelligent, and provides much more value than before by putting easy to use BI tools in the hands of our users.

Looker review by Jeffery S.
Jeffery S.

"Best Business Intelligence Platform Available!"

What do you like best?

I love the LookML modeling language. It's very intuitive and quick to make changes. I also love how quickly new features are being added and how responsive Looker is to issues that crop up.

What do you dislike?

The price is definitely steep for a company of our size ($10M in revenue/year), but so far we are seeing a cost benefit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have the right people on staff to do the modeling - and take the time to do the modeling right the first time.

We have been able to utilize Looker to assist with implementing Traction (https://www.eosworldwide.com/) in our organization.

We have been able to create multiple metrics to track performance that would have otherwise taken months to create.

Looker review by User in Internet

"Small Brazilian startup experience with Looker"

What do you like best?

I'll go straight to what we thinks is the true value our company take out of looker:

1) Everyone has access to our data to make decisions

2) Everyone has access to the same data

3) On a end-user perspective, the platform is very simple to use if you have some database knowledge (like Access for instance)

4) Their support super responsive and solved our problems timely

What do you dislike?

But....

1) The backend (redshift) maintenance is a pain if you don't have headcount dedicated to BI.

2) Our tech team is not english fluent, so they rather spend 2 hours trying to do something then 10 min with support

3) Considering our revenues, price is a little bit steep. (Also considering our currency fluctuations lately)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker is a great platform and it really helped turning our data into isights. But before jumping in, if you are a small startup like we are, assess if you have the resources inside you company to maintain the platform in order and your data updated.

But overall I couldn't recommend Looker more.

We are the top Brazilian online coupon website, with thousands of transactions from hundreds of partners tracked everyday. As you can see, we have a huge number of data sources and having everything in one place and ready to make analyses is important for a lot of people on our company.

Looker review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"I'm a fan"

What do you like best?

Looker does a really good job of allowing analysts & the people that know the data to arrange & model data, and then visualize it, to allow anyone to access.

What do you dislike?

Biggest downside is the inability to upload/ad data on an ad hoc basis for visualization. My business users often want to visualize e.g. some data in an excel sheet alongside data warehouse data, and the only way to do that is to get it into the data warehouse.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Like anything in this space, a lot of their pre-made reporting and stuff is biased towards e-commerce/sales, and less applicable for web publishers or others without a set "conversion event"

Data visibility, self-sufficiency on the part of (sufficiently able) end users. A lot of ad hoc reporting obligations have come off of the analytics team, and a lot of our deeper analytics has been streamlined.

Looker review by Andrew K.
Andrew K.

"Looker does all of the hard work."

What do you like best?

Our app has a lot of tables, and there is a lot of information we want to get out of it. Looker enables my users to get client specific reports without asking me to run anything. I love lookML. It makes data manipulation and field creation very straight-forward. It feels more natural to me than writing gross giant SQL queries by hand all of the time.

This frees up my time to use looker to make interesting "deep analysis" models for myself. I use the queries it generates to make new looker models. With Looker we went from no data transparency to really becoming a data driven company.

I also love the looker R API. It lets me do most of the table generation in looker and transmits the tables to R without needing to export a CSV file.

What do you dislike?

In a previous job, I had a traditional Excel-based analyst role. Looker is amazing at standardization and working off of a main model, but it can be occasionally frustrating that you can't get summary information without building the logic into lookML.

They try to address this with their table calculations, but it doesn't quite feel natural yet. Smoother integration with google sheets might be nice.

Before we had no way to view our aggregate data. Traditional ETL would have been a massive undertaking -- especially since the app's data model is liable to change. Looker enabled us to get the information without needing to hire any data engineers.

Our customer success team is able to report on our customer's data in real time -- saving hours over the previous manual excel process.

Looker review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Easy analytics, and you can model your own data!"

What do you like best?

I like that you can model your own data in Looker, so creating charts and graphs to answer new questions is easily possible. We have also seen great adoption across the company for self-service data analytics.

What do you dislike?

No native drilldowns. If you want to drill down, you have to create a new report and link it to the dashboard. This is hard for our executive users to understand. I also have a difficult time searching and finding reports and dashboards.

We wanted to empower teams across the company with self-service data analytics, ideally in a drag/drop format for the non-technical users who aren't able to write SQL themselves.

Looker review by Brian N.
Brian N.

"Easy to use and prototype"

What do you like best?

Having used many other BI tools in my career, I can honestly say that Looker was the easiest tool that I've picked up from scratch. The ability to prototype data quickly without building it out fully in the database makes it easy to get data in front of our users quickly.

What do you dislike?

Not much. So far, the tool has been great and the people we interact with at the company have been incredibly responsive compared to other vendors.

Business intelligence, analytics, dashboards for our executives and specific to departments. Having easy access to data that can be rapidly accessed during meetings makes discussions go faster.

"Looker"

What do you like best?

Looker is an easy way to gather and share information with my entire company. It is also easy to find related searches for information that is relevant to me.

What do you dislike?

It is very sensitive and sometimes finding the answer you are looking for can be hard to find.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a really sensitive search platform that you have to make sure you are filtering right or else you will get inconclusive results.

It is a way that we can input client information that will with company statistics and reports.

Looker review by Executive Sponsor in Internet
Executive Sponsor in Internet

"Looker solves a number of challenges, and the product works well."

What do you like best?

LookML and the resolution on the fly into SQL means that we can lean on technology to render data and keep it at its most atomic level in storage.

What do you dislike?

We are finding that - maybe because we are still learning - that the interface gets cluttered up quickly with objects. Also, the what-I-have-in-dev mode vs. production mode, what is in git, not in git is taking quite a bit for my team, let alone the general community, to get our heads around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It takes awhile to understand the Looker paradigm, or at least it took us awhile. Find a leader in your organization who can dive in and force that person not to implement everything through derived tables but rather through Looker models - then the light bulbs start to go off.

We have a simple framework for giving secure/controlled access to users. Multiple companies can come in - unknown to each other - and access the same data using the same dashboards but having their access controlled through their logins. Hence dashboards are relevant to their data only, which is really useful.

Looker review by Executive Sponsor in Internet
Executive Sponsor in Internet

"Looker has changed the way we socialize data"

What do you like best?

Ability to model disparate datasets together into a system that is 100% flexible. Nothing about Looker is a "black box" and you can fully customize it to your needs. Visualizations and dashboards are strong, and easy to share.

What do you dislike?

Content management system could use some work. Linking to one view from multiple spaces is not possible at this time, and you need to create copies. This makes updating a central view more tedious if it is used in multiple spaces/on multiple teams.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker is an amazing product with incredible support and a very quick timeline for iteration - new features based on customer feedback are rolled out every few weeks.

Operational teams have thrived with Looker, because they have real-time access to the operating metrics they need to stay focused and drive improved efficiency. Our customer support team and our operations team have both become reliant on Looker to give them key information that supports day-to-day decision-making.

Looker review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Light, easy to build stuff; still a work in progress"

What do you like best?

LookML is a breeze to develop in, and I can quickly modify existing reports or create new ones for business users. Looker is also adding interesting new stuff all the time.

What do you dislike?

It's still rough around the edges in a number of areas, including report permission management ("Spaces") and git integration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It may not be as full-featured as other tools, and the price to performance ratio may be rapidly increasing as Looker grows, so later customers may not be quite as happy

We've been able to use Looker's persistent derived tables to answer more questions about our historical supply over time by individual provider, and the ease of new report creation means that we also have more info about repayment and delinquency that we didn't have before. Users are more satisfied than with our past product, and so are developers. Mostly at this point it's efficiency gains, but it's still early in the running.

"Really powerful software"

What do you like best?

Looker is a really great way to visualize the info you need. What's really great about it for us is that it hooks directly into our database where all the info is already tracked, so our data is only in once place.

What do you dislike?

The annoying part is updating your looker models when you make changes to your site. It makes it a bit difficult for non-programmers to make updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's pretty technical but super powerful.

Understanding our metrics and using reports and dashboards to schedule emails to us to track how we're doing.

Looker review by Camille L.
Camille L.

"Always improving the product"

What do you like best?

I really appreciate that Looker is constantly looking for ways to improve their product. Many of the things that we've hoped to see implementing are coming to life in Looker 5.

What do you dislike?

Although there are steps towards this being worked already, i would love for there to be greater/clearer capabilities in connecting with existing programming environments and languages. At this point i know that R and Python can be used in conjunction with Looker, but I hope that these capabilities are developed on and communicated better in the future.

Data visualization, allowing non-technical teams to have greater ownership of data.

Looker review by Andrew B.
Andrew B.

"Great abstraction and ease-of-use, while offering superb flexibility and customization."

What do you like best?

The speed of setting up views and models.

What do you dislike?

The embedding options are somewhat lacking. As of 4.20, Looker has added the ability for an embedded iFrame to know the size of a parent window. However, there is still a lack of a public dashboard option. It is confusing as to why a public Look is allowed, but not a public dashboard.

As a healthcare company promoting a prospective bundled payment system over fee-for-service and focused on specific orthopedic surgeries, we are utilizing Looker to prove how our model is cheaper and more efficient operationally with fewer patient adverse events.

Looker review by Daniel M.
Daniel M.

"Looker has been a gamechanger in terms of allowing people across our company to access data"

What do you like best?

Looker's power and flexibility has allowed the product to evolve with our needs over 2.5 years. It's allowed users across our company -- from Editorial and BizDev and Ops and Engineering -- not just analysts to access our data in user-friendly and efficient ways.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much about Looker we don't like. There are always features that we'd like added, but they're quite responsive to our requests and try to add the things they're hearing about frequently to their roadmap.

We have many different kinds of data that drive our business, so centralizing that data has been a huge boon to us. And allowing people to explore the data themselves, rather than relying on analysts, has led to lots of breakthroughs AND freed up our analysts to work on harder problems.

Looker review by Yinglu W.
Yinglu W.

"good BI tool for small business"

What do you like best?

Looker allows me to connect all my databases into one model.

What do you dislike?

Thr demographic data query stored in Looker doesnt have a clear documentation for MySQL database.

Retail/ E-commerce.

It has a pretty good visualization ability, which shows my data clean and organized.

"Looker"

What do you like best?

Its fairly easy to manipulate and pull from various data sources. I like the ability to create dashboards to hold different reports together.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an option to turn visualization off for a look - sometimes I just need the raw data and its repetitive to have it. I don't like that it caches data for an hour - it would be nice to have the dashboards auto-refresh every 10-30 mins without clearing the cache

it helps us attribute sales by last click.

"This one's a looker"

What do you like best?

Looker is a powerful visualization tool. We typically have it running inside of Salesforce. It's easy and practical to have it sitting right in SFDC. The visualization aspect has been helpful for our sales and marketing organizations in making educated decision for the future.

What do you dislike?

According to my Sales Engineer, LookML is troubling, instead of just using SQL, the mark up language is more complicated. It would be nice to have a live chat feature when I need assistance - less clicks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Looker is a great tool in comparison to the other ones on the market. I appreciate the modern web architecture and the ability to simply use it in the cloud. User's should be aware that Looker operates entirely on the data in your database.

Looker solves a lot of issues with visualizing our team's forecast/upcoming pipline. The insights to our deals is monumental when making the right decisions and prepare us for the future.

Looker review by Erika B.
Erika B.

"Much better than a lot of tools that have attempted to solve similar problems."

What do you like best?

The tool works. It doesn't lag, it's pretty, it integrates with things. I especially like how the IDE checks your code. I used to work in Mondrian. Only way to test it was to upload it to staging. Such a pain ><

What do you dislike?

Looker lacks the ability to drill across fact tables without symmetric aggregates. The function is great for smaller tables, but terrible for 3 billion row tables.

Eliminates the need for in house built tools that connect and report on data platform metrics. Solves the problem of needing a reporting tool.

Looker review by User in Renewables & Environment
User in Renewables & Environment

"Looker - for pros and non-techies alike"

What do you like best?

Looker is a great analytics tool with a great customer support and customization staff behind it. It definitely has a bit of a learning curve, but it has one of the most user-friendly UI's around that can helps speed-up the learning curve. Super customizable and based on SQL, so if you have an in-house SQL master, it's even more powerful. If not, then I'm not sure how great the tool would be as Looker's in-house support is unknown for org's without SQL programming know-how.

What do you dislike?

Looker relies on SQL to pull information from an organization's database. If it's garbage in, it's garbage out. So not really a critique about Looker; more of a warning that your data should be solid if you want to use Looker to provide insight into future business decisions.

Trying to get our data to tell us what to do in the future.

Looker review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Really great insights"

What do you like best?

LookML is a great tool for BI! The models and realtime reports are extremely useful and in depth. The functionality, UI, and modeling is awesome!

What do you dislike?

Support can be flakey and there is no easy route to push/map data into salesforce. An appexchange and/or package for salesforce integration would be an amazing feature and super useful. A host of ETLs allow you to push data from SFDC to redshift and to Looker but I have yet to learn of a bi-directional solution.

Business intelligence, data storage and visualization

Looker review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"Good product for analytics - but could use more user friendly features"

What do you like best?

The graphics and reporting for Looker does include a lot of the key features I would want and it can definitely handle large data sets. I also like the "Explore from here" functionality to be able to dig into specific numbers without disrupting my regular reports.

What do you dislike?

I feel like there are still a lot of features in the LookML that I wish were more user friendly: creating measures and calculations of measures in particular could be easier.

Looking at SKU performance and sell-through as well as some inventory management.

It's helpful to be able to quickly see trends in data and graph them in a few different ways to show a variety of audiences.

Looker review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Scalable BI solution for growth-stage startup"

What do you like best?

Ease in which you can scale to use cases across many different departments and keep a centralized data model.

What do you dislike?

Limited in visualization capabilities relative to Tableau.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth taking the jump but plan ahead for organizational buy-in. The difficult part is consolidating lots of decentralized data and data tools. The more centralized everything becomes, the more impactful Looker will be.

Solving product, sales, and customer success problems with Looker. We've reaped huge benefits in better understanding our users and products which go towards product development and also improving our sales process

Looker review by Derrick S.
Derrick S.

"A great tool for sharing data"

What do you like best?

The single feature that separates Looker from the pack is the ability to send anyone in your organization a full report through a simple shortened URL. They can then customize that report, save it if they want to, and if it employs any time-based filters, these will automatically update in the future. It's the easiest way to get data in the hands of non-technical users that I've encountered.

What do you dislike?

Creating and using dashboards, while ultimately fine for most purposes, can be a bit clunky. Dashboards often change format mysteriously and need to be reset manually, and the scheduling tool can be buggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It pairs especially well with Amazon Redshift for fast aggregation queries.

I use Looker for BI and light analytic work. The biggest

Looker review by Alan C.
Alan C.

"Finally a flexible reporting tool that is not a nightmare to maintain"

What do you like best?

So many things are done right:

- The simplicity of creating a meta schema using lookml, the learning curve is lightning fast

- The flexibility of the system, making data available to inter customer has never been so easy

- The support team is really knowledgeable and fast to answer

- The roadmap is clear and moving forward as a great speed. Most missing features that we have in mind are usually in development when we ask

- A really fun team, every meeting with looker is always a pleasure

What do you dislike?

The tool is still pretty young, and some features are not yet there:

- Data restriction is not flexible enough like filtering financial data out. We have to create a different model, which is not flexible

- Their office is too far from ours, I would love to meet them in person (I know, this is not really relevant ...)

- Dashboards are still a bit limited: multiple types of series in one graph, joining different extracts in one graph

To answer that question, I need to talk about the before and after looker.

Before looker:

- Reporting done by 1 then 2 people using SQL, Excel and some free tools for frequent reporting

- Different departments having different numbers because of different sources

- No real understanding of where the truth is

- Hard time to figure out where the data issues were

- No flexibility in the reports

After looker:

- Everything is in the same place (we plugged the datawarehouse into Looker)

- Alignment on metrics definition and reporting numbers

- Pool of business users to identify data issues

- Business users can do their own reporting, and change it as they see fit

Looker review by User in Computer Software

"Great software, makes it easy to replicate SQL"

What do you like best?

I like that Looker allows me to not have to write SQL queries day in and day out. Plus I can build derived tables on the fly, allowing me to not have to spend as much time working on data cleansing and engineering upfront.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that Looker does not allow cross database joins.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Build a data warehouse, then sit Looker on top it. The powerfulness comes from merging all the data sources.

The ability to analyze and visualize all sorts of data.

Looker review by Steve R.
Steve R.

"looker is awesome"

What do you like best?

looker has made it possible for everyone in the organization to view, modify, create and share the reports they need.

What do you dislike?

the only weak links are the visualizations (which aren't as strong as some other competitors), and a cleaner way to create dashboards.

we need to track marketing programs on a daily basis. this means we need to correlate spend and revenue with campaigns and creatives. we then view this data to see which partners make the best return, which campaigns and creatives are doing well or not, etc.

Looker review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Looker is an absolute game changer for our company"

What do you like best?

The customer support for Looker is fantastic - their chat support line has friendly and experienced Looker employees who always go above and beyond to help you solve problems. You really get the sense that Looker is listening to their customers, and your product feedback / feature requests are their #1 priority.

What do you dislike?

Because Looker itself is so dynamic, there's a learning curve. However, once you've gotten familiar with Looker, you learn to love it. Support is always there to help too, so the learning curve isn't ultimately a big problem.

BI uses, analyzing customer leads, sales pipelines (both at an aggregate and order level). Having a single source of truth for our company's BI data helps reduce confusion among internal users.

Looker review by Madeleine P.
Madeleine P.

"I had amazing support building out a POC to gather requirements from customers"

What do you like best?

The support team was amazing - having access to sales engineers and the chat support was amazing and totally differentiated Looker from other solutions

What do you dislike?

Figuring out idiosyncrasies of LookML can be challenging at first - I anticipate needing to talk with support to figure out additional complex calculations we need to build out.

Presenting customer data in a way that informs decision making and allows them to answer questions specific to their responsibilities

Looker review by Carol Z.
Carol Z.

"Looker"

What do you like best?

Their customer support team - they're always available to help and always really friendly.

What do you dislike?

Because they're newer, they don't have all the functionalities that we need but they're working on it.

Creating easy to read reports to find insights and trends for business decisions.

Looker review by Barclay L.
Barclay L.

"We've been looker customers for almost 4 years. And I've used previous iterations in other lives"

What do you like best?

I like that it saves me (as head of eng) from having to spend eng resources to generate views, reports or dashboards in platform of our data.

What do you dislike?

The modeling is sometimes clumsy, we're also overly cleaver in our codebase and it would be awesome if we could have looker use reflection on our codebase to build out some of the logic and relationships.

Crowdsourced sameday delivery. Looker is helping us dive into our unit economics and KPIs, controlling our costs identifying driver behaviors, and business patterns.

Looker review by Justin N.
Justin N.

"Powerful, Flexible, Fun BI"

What do you like best?

Easy drag n' drop exploration and complete control over your data models provides an awesome balance of ease of use and powerful customization.

I was part of a team reviewing many BI tools to find one that fit our needs. When I first saw the demo of Looker, I knew we had found exactly what we were looking for.

Other tools we looked at had a "black box" implementation run by the vendor, after which could explore within some relatively narrow confines.

Looker offers complete flexibility in how you structure your data environment for exploration, essentially letting you leverage the power of SQL into re-usable, visual elements that can be accessed by the business user. Our internal BI team loves being able to customize virtually every aspect of the data model.

What do you dislike?

No real complaints here -- the tool is incredibly powerful and keeps getting better.

My wish list for the future would be to make it even easier to join together disparate data sets and present more of an excel-like interface with the ability to add calculated fields via formulas, so that the average user could be more independent. Right now metrics like percentages or ratios still require someone to use Looker's proprietary language to create.

Also keep in mind you need to have a clear structure for your data in mind in order for Looker to work well.

We were looking for ways to mash up all our data to see correlations and trends, and now we can! Looker has allowed us to bring disconnected data together and do less manual spreadsheet manipulation.

Looker review by Jim N.
Jim N.

"We built out a Data Warehouse using looker in front of Amazon Redshift."

What do you like best?

there are a lot of things i love about looker, at a high level, being able to organize and model our data in ways that business users can engage with is awesome. instant online support has been a lifesaver in the middle of the night when stuck and preparing for investor presentations the next day. i love the development workflow and evolving documentation features. the implementation of the tool - the editor, github integration, and the ability to see and use the generated SQL are all real pluses. love the code error and warning notifications.

What do you dislike?

i'd like to have more complex visualization options . . a way to integrate D3.js visualizations more directly would be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have someone good to help understand what looker can and can't do for you (looker people were very helpful, and we also had some great help with our Redshift implementation and internal understanding of our complicated data model).

Solve real problems first rather than trying to model things you "might" need.

we have enabled product and business users to identify and follow metrics that better track how our business is doing. prior to building out our analytics, any

Looker review by Lawrence W.
Lawrence W.

"Looker - Useful tool with a steep learning curve"

What do you like best?

Some of Looker's strengths are having one standard definition of the data that end users use which creates a lot of consistency across the organization. I love the ability to quickly create simple reports that update automatically since Looker has a real-time connection to your database. You can automate and send these reports at intervals to different users too.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to "peer review" work done in Looker since one has to check multiple sources (the raw data which is hard to do in Looker itself and likely needs to be done elsewhere, the LookML logic and the way the Look was constructed). The learning curve to learn all this is steep.

Standardized reporting across multiple departments. Time savings.

Looker review by Andy W.
Andy W.

"Great product!"

What do you like best?

The ability to rapidly build new reports/dashboards after the model is defined. Obviously the git integration and collaboration aspects are great as well .

What do you dislike?

I think roles make sense at a high level, but in practice they don't seem to work as designed. Happy to talk about this one more in person (harder to describe online).

We're getting huge insight into our customers and what products are popular, along with when in the customer lifecycle they're using those products.

Looker review by Ben L.
Ben L.

"Great for looking"

What do you like best?

It gives my team the ability to create dimensions and measures on the fly, allowing faster resolutions and digestion.

What do you dislike?

There doesn't seem to be a function/tool to set a time/query limit for users

Operational costs and margins are managed and analyzed at micro and macro levels easily

Looker review by Chris M.
Chris M.

"Great tool that you get out of what you put in"

What do you like best?

Looker is deeply customizable and you can fit it to your organization -- with enough thought, it can be a perfect tool for your team.

What do you dislike?

It takes a lot of customization! You get out what you put In and Looker likely requires dedicated team members to become and maintain usefulness.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest upfront!

- High level metrics visibility for operational teams further from the product

- Drill-able data for our customer-facing teams

Looker review by User in Computer Software

"Looker is a great tool!"

What do you like best?

Strong reporting abilities. Strong integrations to varying data sources and - good API. Many discussion forums, free tutorials, and good overall support.

What do you dislike?

Wish the mobile version was stronger. Not that this is my normal use of Looker, but in the instance I do want mobile version, wish it compared to something like Tableau in that department.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Saturated market for this particular niche of software. Recommend looking across the market as their are many tools vying for the same customer base and all seemingly doing the same thing, BUT differently.

Dashboarding views of internal company data for different departments, executives, and so forth. Making sense of the data we're sitting on as an organization.

Looker review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Excellent Customer Data "

What do you like best?

As a Customer Success Manager I need to regularly monitor usage and stats for my customers. Our Data Operation team was able to bring in all the relevant customer data into Looker in an easily digestible dashboard that I use very often .

What do you dislike?

I'm a newer user and haven't found anything I particularly dislike.

Looker has become a one-stop shop for all customer data. It helps us make intelligent business decisions and relevant visualize data and stats.

Looker review by Fabien B.
Fabien B.

"A Life Saver"

What do you like best?

Everything. When we evaluated all the different options out there, Looker was the only solution that checked off all our requirements.

Their customer success team is extremely knowledgeable and always available if you need any help. Their engineers are brilliant and their hard work is allowing frequent releases that are going in the right directions. Looker is customer driven and will deliver what makes sense for every user.

We love the creativity and flexibility this tool is offering us, as we are able to manipulate LookML to create anything, from data extract to Process automation.

What do you dislike?

Not much. We have been satisfied since day 1!

I wish some of our users had the tendency to explore data the way we do. Maybe there is an opportunity here to have a UX that force some users to think Data.

The queries are sometimes taking a long time to generate but that is more in our end, on how our data is architected set up for reporting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have a look at the implementation time for other solutions, and you will quickly understand the advantage of Looker. We deployed in less than 2 weeks!

When checking BI vendors, this is mainly what we were looking for:

- will all our users get what they need? if the platform is not delivering what the business users want, they won't use it. If the implementation / maintenance is not sexy enough for your data scientist, they will not be motivated to work on it.

- Pricing - per user? per connection?

- our data must be at minimum ready for using a BI tool, if not then it's too early to look at a vendor

- what's support like

- is the interface intuitive enough

- time to implement

- can extracts get emailed and/or exported in csv, json...

- can we customize the dashboards and the names of our data fields

- can we have a documentation living in there for business users

...

Looker has scored beyond expectations on all the aforementioned criteria

We initially were looking for a flexible tool where people could answer their questions directly without the need of a full time Data Scientist.

Looker helped us free our Data Scientist to deliver more rather than maintaining sql queries.

The ability to extract in csv, or to embed in google docs, to explore and drill down, to create charts and dashboard, and schedule some extracts helped us save so much time!.

We now use Looker to rely on our data, and also to automate some processes in short term.

Looker review by Kumaran R.
Kumaran R.

"Light Weight and Easy to Manage"

What do you like best?

Light Weight, Easy to Manage. I like their data modelling layer the most. SQL based but very easy to adopt and with the extensions and some of the reusing components it makes it easy to extend Semantic layer across models/projects and reduce duplication of code.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to support metadata storage against postgre or any other DBs and just having the capability to migrate metadata from HyperSQL to MySQL

Embedding, Real Time Data Analytics and Predictive

Looker review by David F.
David F.

"Looker strengths"

What do you like best?

Looker has great integration with Github, thus the semantic layer can be locked in and everyone has a single source of truth.

What do you dislike?

The semantic layer however, comes at a price...a need for data stewards to predefine metrics and code them up. This prevents users from staying within the analysis flow if a key metric or field is not available.

As a model surfacing platform that integrates multiple SaaS data models into a unified SaaS business management tool.

Looker review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Excellent BI Tool"

What do you like best?

Looker is very customizable and extremely user friendly. We have users with little to no SQL experience that are able to build dashboards and visualizations on their own. Implementation was also very quick and their customer support has been top notch.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is the ability to edit titles on dashboards. You have to re-save the report as a new name and then go and delete the old report in your spaces. Takes a long time for something that should be simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This was by far the best product for the price. I highly recommend it.

We are able to see the user behavior impact of new app launches and make changes accordingly.

Looker review by Kaushik R.
Kaushik R.

"I provider analytical solutions for a digital health company, using Looker for BI"

What do you like best?

Self service data access is what Looker excels at in comparison with other BI tools, as it provides a simple & easy to use interface to access data, with minimal setup from end users. It also provides an exceptional development platform that makes it a delight to administer.

What do you dislike?

It can be a steep learning curve for end users in the early stages of adoption. There are several features on their product roadmap that would provide massive benefits, and are eagerly awaited. Data Visualization options can be expanded massively.

Financial Analysis, Scientific Research, Accounting, Forecasting and Client Reporting have benefited from Looker's ease of use, and this has contributed significantly towards unlocking data for end users

Looker review by Kallin N.
Kallin N.

"Looker allowed our business users to get the data they need without having to go through a developer"

What do you like best?

The ease of use is key to looker's adoption. It doesn't long for users to get comfortable enough to start self serving all kinds of data.

What do you dislike?

There are a few areas that need work (scheduled dashboards etc.), but updates are coming frequently and the looker team responds to feedback quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's super simple to setup a test environment. Get yourself one and take a look for yourself.

We're getting unfettered access to our data straight to business users.

Looker review by Executive Sponsor in Computer Software
Executive Sponsor in Computer Software

"Best BI tool out there"

What do you like best?

Tehcnical depth combined with unparalleled end-user ease of use

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular, if they could add the ability to combine data from different data sources would be awesome.

We are using looker embedded to deliver sales & marketing analytics. Implementation is faster than anything else out there, we were using another vendor before and evaluated 10+ alternatives when switching to looker.

Looker review by Jennifer K.
Jennifer K.

"A little slow, but gets the job done with patience"

What do you like best?

Once you take the time to set up queries and templates, Looker can quickly help you access incredibly helpful metrics.

What do you dislike?

Looker is incredibly slow. Yes, crunching numbers and pulling data is not a walk in the park, but nothing we did really seemed to warrant the hours I would sometimes wait for data to populate.

Helped us deep dive into campaigns that would traditionally difficult to measure success with. Able to begin benchmarking better as well as set goals and objectives.

Looker review by Jay M.
Jay M.

"Overall, a great product"

What do you like best?

Having a unified view into all our data is fantastic. Pretty easy to learn.

What do you dislike?

Our data often goes down. I'm not sure how much of that is our fault vs their fault. ImportXML into Google Sheets isn't terribly reliable.

Looker is our data portal. It allows a non technical people (like myself) to have full access to our data.

Looker review by Jeannine S.
Jeannine S.