What do you like best?
Everything. When we evaluated all the different options out there, Looker was the only solution that checked off all our requirements.
Their customer success team is extremely knowledgeable and always available if you need any help. Their engineers are brilliant and their hard work is allowing frequent releases that are going in the right directions. Looker is customer driven and will deliver what makes sense for every user.
We love the creativity and flexibility this tool is offering us, as we are able to manipulate LookML to create anything, from data extract to Process automation.
What do you dislike?
Not much. We have been satisfied since day 1!
I wish some of our users had the tendency to explore data the way we do. Maybe there is an opportunity here to have a UX that force some users to think Data.
The queries are sometimes taking a long time to generate but that is more in our end, on how our data is architected set up for reporting.
Recommendations to others considering the product
Have a look at the implementation time for other solutions, and you will quickly understand the advantage of Looker. We deployed in less than 2 weeks!
When checking BI vendors, this is mainly what we were looking for:
- will all our users get what they need? if the platform is not delivering what the business users want, they won't use it. If the implementation / maintenance is not sexy enough for your data scientist, they will not be motivated to work on it.
- Pricing - per user? per connection?
- our data must be at minimum ready for using a BI tool, if not then it's too early to look at a vendor
- what's support like
- is the interface intuitive enough
- time to implement
- can extracts get emailed and/or exported in csv, json...
- can we customize the dashboards and the names of our data fields
- can we have a documentation living in there for business users
Looker has scored beyond expectations on all the aforementioned criteria
What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
We initially were looking for a flexible tool where people could answer their questions directly without the need of a full time Data Scientist.
Looker helped us free our Data Scientist to deliver more rather than maintaining sql queries.
The ability to extract in csv, or to embed in google docs, to explore and drill down, to create charts and dashboard, and schedule some extracts helped us save so much time!.
We now use Looker to rely on our data, and also to automate some processes in short term.