Lubuntu

4.7

Lubuntu is a fast and lightweight operating system. The core of the system is based on Linux and Ubuntu that uses the minimal desktop LXDE, and a selection of light applications.

Work for Lubuntu?

Learning about Lubuntu?

Compare Lubuntu to Similar Solutions

Lubuntu Reviews

Showing 10 Lubuntu reviews
Lubuntu review by Héctor B.
Héctor B.

"Lightweight champion"

What do you like best?

Light as a feather. I can run this OS in almost everything. Is light and fast, but the best of all is his performance in low end PC´s. Everytime i install Lubuntu in a new PC i know that is going to work smoothly for a long time, not just the first days.

What do you dislike?

Lack of options in the app store/center and poor interface. At first sight you can see the price you have to pay for lightness. I have to say it, the interface is not nice. The app store have very limited thing that you can install.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a GOOD operative system to install in a low end PC. Lubuntu is the BEST option.

I needed a light OS with good performance which i can install in low end PC´s,

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Lubuntu
Lubuntu review by Jose luis S.
Jose luis S.

"super light!!!!!!"

What do you like best?

As it says in its slogan this operating system is super light and very useful to the user on a computer that is not high-end. The main thing and what I love is that it is free software and apart is a Ubunto project, it has a package manager called "Lubuntu Software Center". Although its current version "16.04.3." is giving several problems of actulization I like it a lot. It has tools to work with multiple drives and RAID configurations. Since I was just installing LXLE in a drive on a laptop, I did not need to take advantage of the more advanced features of Btrfs.

What do you dislike?

The current version "16.04.3." This is giving several problems of updating and support ... but they try to solve it when the faults come up. I do not like it and I was surprised was that they decided to include SeaMonkey as the browser instead of something more popular like Firefox. Another disadvantage of having a distribution based on an LTS version is the lack of updated applications. Although bobo is that this matters to many users and that the interface is not pleasant to the user's view it takes away many points gained in other strengths that if it has the operating system ... I think that if it can improve

Recommendations to others considering the product

super recommended if you want to recover old equipment and low recuerso

since its main advantage is its low consumption of resources ... because this I take advantage of to rescue computers and practically obsolete and in turn in signals to new users the culture of free software and so they learn that there is something more than Microsoft.

What Operating System solution do you use?

Lubuntu review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Steamlined and Efficient - A fantastic choice for older hardware"

What do you like best?

Lubuntu gets the job done as well as any other Linux distribution without requiring much in the way of computer specs at all.

What do you dislike?

I do think the user interface is *slightly* awkward, but I think that just comes with the territory. Also, there is not quite as much user support as, for example, GNOME. Of course, support for graphics manipulation software for Linux in general isn't the greatest, but for my purposes, it was sufficient. LibreOffice Writer is a good implementation of a word processor.

Lubuntu allowed me to continue to use an old computer without having to upgrade my hardware. I can, smoothly, run the most current version of Ubuntu and the Linux kernel without spending a dime, without impeding my workflow at all.

Lubuntu review by User in Higher Education

"Lightweight Linux distribution based on LXDE"

What do you like best?

RAM Usage is less than 1/2 of that of UBuntu on a typical installation and less than 1/3rd when working off a Live CD . It is a lighter flavor of linux / Ubuntu and strongly recommended for users who wish to use Unix, without paying for huge Window's licensing fees and have a low capacity hardware. It takes up much less disk space and memory than otherwise.

What do you dislike?

Not many applications support LUbuntu as much as they do UBuntu. Application community needs to adopt LUbuntu and develop apps compatible with LUBuntu. Though most UBuntu apps work on LUBuntu, they are not optimized for LUbuntu

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very light weight and highly recommended for users who wish to transition from Windows to Linux, but find Ubuntu and Mac very steep. Highly recommended for its very low memory usage, high speed (as a result) and excellent performance on basic hardware.

I used it for personal purposes to edit, write and send documents as well as do some programming. I use a Macbook, a Unix workstation and LUBuntu to stress test some applications developed in our organization. I find LUbuntu to be a very easy to use light weight OS, allowing greater manipulation of the kernel and its functionalities.

Lubuntu review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Excellent on Virtual Machines"

What do you like best?

I really like that it has such low hardware requirements allowing me to run it in a virtual box on a tablet that has very low hardware capabilities, making it so that I can always have linux with me when I need it.

What do you dislike?

I some time miss the unity user interface I'm used to on my beefer machines that I run full ubuntu on. But the LXDE interface is very capable and gets my tasks done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is great if it meets your requirements if your hardware exceeds requirements you may be better with something else.

I often need to have a multitude of operating systems and tools literally in my back-pocket or backpack. As I'm an IT business consultant working from home, my bicycle, or my paddle-board. Being able to have a useable linux virtual machine with me is priceless when I'm remotely working with web servers, or other computer systems and want to test things not on the live machine, in case anything hits a snag.

Lubuntu review by Matteo R.
Matteo R.

"Very light, running on Core2Solo Cpu with 2GB ram"

What do you like best?

It can run on old hardware

Easy to Install

Huge Ubuntu packges repos

Easy customization

Can run beside Windows very easily

What do you dislike?

Not very beautiful nor modern interface

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try if you want to resume some old HW, or just to get a very simple and clean system

we're able to recover old laptops, using them as "travel machines"

Using with openbox on some other laptops, for limit usage to browser only

Lubuntu review by Cody B.
Cody B.

"Best lightweight OS"

What do you like best?

Uses very few resources and runs very well on computers from even the 90s.

What do you dislike?

Has quite a bit of a learning curve and takes a bit of finesse to make it fit for you.

Lubuntu solves the issue of repurposing outdated equipment and allows for a new life span of said equipment.

Lubuntu review by User

"lightweight and fast - everything a linux distro needs to be"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to install and manage, quick to install additional applications and so so fast

What do you dislike?

It's a little dated in terms of UI (lxde) but that's not really a complaint.

Used extensively for quick reproduction environments as well as stable production (high concurrency) environments

Lubuntu review by Khayam A.
Khayam A.

"Its lightweight and fast"

What do you like best?

Simple minimum GUI and all of the Ubuntu features make is easy to use

What do you dislike?

GUI is not very pretty like windows, MAC or mint linux are.

I use it as my linux distribution for my research work.

Lubuntu review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Faster OS for low config system"

What do you like best?

Lightweight Linux distros require some very minimum requirements and will run on very old computers

What do you dislike?

We did not use its like as server its very leight OS for server purpose

installed in low configuration laptops and provide the employee for basic work

Learning about Lubuntu?

* We monitor all Lubuntu reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Lubuntu to Similar Solutions