Stability, support, API support, use of combination of software/hardware not supported by software and hardware vendors
nfortunately, when evaluating LunaCloud in 2013 to serve as the Cloud provider for our personal edition PaaS offer, we ran into a lot of problems. Please note that, in contrast, we were using AWS for our Enterprise offer, so the comparison might not be fair. However:
- Stability (we had downtimes of entire clusters of machines almost every week)
- Lack of API's (we had an automatic provisioning system that was agnostic to the IaaS provider, as long as it made available some basic APIs that LunaCloud had to develop specifically for us in that time)
- Non-Certified hardware and software: Then, they had a set of Hardware and Software that were not certified with each other: The Cloud Software wasn't certified to run on the servers and the servers' provider did not certify the storage provider they were using; so the debugging and troubleshooting was extremely difficult for them
- Weak support and SLA's: We were expecting from a partnership that we had with them a faster response time to our problems. There were even times that when one of their head support engineers had health problems, they were unable to solve harder issues.
- The web console was very user friendly and easy to use
- The scaling features were very comprehensive and flexible
- The pricing was very straightforward
- The cost was very competitive when compared to other IaaS providers (GoGrid, AWS, Rackspace, Microsoft, etc.)
Please note that this is a review based on LunaCloud's state in mid/end 2013, beginning of 2014. These issues might not be valid by now.