M-Files

M-Files enterprise content management solution unifies documents and information across business systems to help you intelligently find, access and manage information.

Work for M-Files?

Learning about M-Files?

M-Files Reviews

Ask M-Files a Question
Showing 28 M-Files reviews
M-Files review by Michael E.
Michael E.

"On my short list of very good software"

What do you like best?

You can feel the polish of a good, conscientious development team when you use M-Files. I also appreciate the logical structure and general robustness. I like the rapid way you are able to get up and running.

What do you dislike?

With any complex piece of software there are always multiple ways to solve a problem. This can make it difficult to figure out the correct approach. Sometimes if your problem doesn't fit in the box that m-files is trying to solve it can be difficult to get the result you want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take it for a spin!

Categorizing \ filing \ retrieval of regulatory documents. Much more accurate filing and retrieval (much better than file shares!)

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about M-Files
M-Files review by Ankan N.
Ankan N.

"Very reliable Enterprise Content Management Solution"

What do you like best?

It's a very intuitive solution, easy to use. Easy tagging and retrieving and has a very powerful semantic search function

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I felt like too much of metadata information needs to be entered, sometime it can put off the user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Document intensive organisation that face challenges in finding the right file from a large volume of files can find this really useful. Ideal for law firms, financial and insurance companies that deal with a large volume of information and where versions and workflow become very important.

As a Sales person, my data used to reside in multiple systems e.g. Salesfoce, custom excel files, outlook etc in our organisation and it was very time consuming to find relevant info. It took me lot of time to organise documents and create folders to store my files and there was lot of duplication that used to happen (although my volume was not very high). I think with M-Files I did not have to worry about where to store the file. I could just tag it and find it later using some keywords. It saved me a lot of time.

What Enterprise Content Management (ECM) solution do you use?

M-Files review by Consultant in Telecommunications
Consultant in Telecommunications

"Good for printing signature info for audits"

What do you like best?

Pros:

1) When a document is printed, all the metadata (approvals) are printed with it. No need to hunt down separate approvals to print out and attach.

2) Tool can handle single approval types of documents as well as docs requiring pre and post-approval.

3) Tool can handle living documents (master documents like Trace Matrix, Requirements, etc) as well as project specific documents (unit tests, Change Requests, etc).

What do you dislike?

Cons:

1) System is difficult to navigate to see all docs without doing advanced searches.

2) Project documents have limited display if many documents are included. It cuts off view so only up to about 50 docs, then the others are not visible unless you sort them to look at bottom first.

3) There is no way to automatically link documents to a Change Request. My current dept uses Desc of Change field to manually enter the Change Request ID so we can do advances searches to find all documents associated with a Change Request.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are similar products which may be more expensive but may meet more needs.

Main advantage to this software: When a document is printed, all the metadata (approvals) are printed with it. No need to hunt down separate approvals to print out and attach.

M-Files review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"M-Files DMS Review by Tony Tomison III"

What do you like best?

M-Files is a highly versatile software that can grow to fill your specific companies needs, just as it did for ours.

For example it has several handy different ways of accessing data like the Web Access, Windows client, mobile app, or my favorite, via API. I've created some handy tools that help streamline my work with M-Files.

What do you dislike?

While no software is perfect, M-Files does have a few minor "bugs" but that doesn't have any impact with software.

One of them would be not being able to manipulate the client cache with the API, but they have added that as a feature request so I'm happy with them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it, it can be customized to your specific needs no matter what the size.

Project File management was a major nightmare.

Users would copy files here, make their own folders there, and make more copies here, M-Files put a stop to it! Users can no longer create their own folders, and documents are automatically put in their proper location.

Another nightmare was users kept using "Save-As" and creating their own copies, but one of the nice things about M-Files is that it it does all of the version control, and you can see exactly what a file looked like at that particular point in time.

A nice thing that I was able to do with M-Files is generate documents.

I can extract the metadata and make documents lists, drawings registers, etc..

On a personal note, I have my blog where I write about M-Files and some custom tools I create:

M-Files review by Lewis (Tre') G.
Lewis (Tre') G.

"M-Files great for a paperless business"

What do you like best?

I like that M-Files integrates seamlessly with Windows Office and Outlook email. There are lots of features and yearly updates to keep the software relevant. Keep up on the updates I really appreciate that it keeps getting developed.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I can't get a personal version for my home. The cost is prohibitive for running it as a personal DMS, but I really need it at home. There is a personal version but I am over the limit for personal unfortunately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out. It is worth every penny to implement in a paperless environment.

M-Files is used for our paperless office. It was a great help to us when we found it. It wasn't the first solution we used for the paperless office but it is the best and final one we have been using for several years. By helping our government office run with less paper we have saved space because we donated all the old filing cabinets. We save time looking for documents and we are able to reproduce whatever we need without having to get off the phones, unless we want too.

M-Files review by User in Financial Services

"Simple, intuitive and powerful "

What do you like best?

I like the easy to use interface, both for user and admins. I have been using the system for some years with a lot of different purposes, connected to our ERP and still I did not write a single line of code. All users are enthusiastic

What do you dislike?

I did not like the admin interface when migrating from a server to a new one, not much support when connecting to a new vault and the setup did not go smoothly

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make good planning before starting to implement workflows and documents types

Versioning, storage, documents workflows and projects flow

M-Files review by Treve C.
Treve C.

"M-Files can do anything!"

What do you like best?

M-Files is hands down the best document management system I've used and been involved with. For the average office worker it is deceptively simple - just save a document to the "M" drive, enter a few key properties - What is it and who is it for - and all the magic happens in the background. Permissions, workflow, dynamic views, mobile access, offline access, 360 degree view - it's amazing, it's simple and it just works!

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything about M-Files that I don't like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have your Vault designed by a qualified M-Files re-seller. It will save you time and money in the long run. You will receive many amazing benefits to your business that you won't be aware of when you purchase M-Files.

Our staff can now find documents instantly and know they are dealing with the correct version so errors and time wastage are dramatically reduced. The automation of our Accounts Payable process has greatly enhanced our business and reduced errors. Our projects run more smoothly through the easy sharing of information and documents (including emails). Mobile access to documents and client information is a major benefit. The ability to create a document on a mobile device and automatically kick off a workflow based on what the document type (class) is has become extremely useful. The ability to share large documents securely with external parties is very useful (no more Dropbox). There are many benefits to using M-Files.

M-Files review by Peter E.
Peter E.

"M-Files is an innovative electronic document management system"

What do you like best?

M-Files is an innovative electronic document management system that solves the problems of managing, finding, and tracking documents in today's information-intensive organisations.

Having spent over 17 years immersed in the industry we have found that by offering a simple to use, highly effective electronic document management solution (knowledge management software) we can increase your productivity dramatically. Typically by an hour per person, per day! This is not rocket science, just a simple way to streamline your day to day information needs.

As you would agree, we all spend a lot of time looking for information, whether it is paper based files, electronic documents like emails, Word, Excel etc. each day. The information is spread all over the office and handled by multiple staff members. Because everyone has a different opinion on where and how information should be stored it can be hard to find what you are looking for.

To remain competitive in today's business environment, companies must continually strive to eliminate redundancy in their electronic records while also improving accessibility and management of sensitive company information. The process of constantly creating and revising different file types associated with different software applications can leave a company's electronic files in chaos. Take control of the electronic clutter with the best value in electronic document management software on the market today. M-Files' host of innovative features allows streamlining of document management processes and provides a powerful and easy to use solution.

What if all the information you were looking for was available within seconds instead of minutes. You can imagine the productivity gains. If everyone in your organisation had an extra hour a day, could you add 10% to your bottom line? Plus you will get your expensive office space back; you won't lose or misplace documents anymore. If this solution is backed up by extensive hands on training, creating and/or streamlining your office procedures and then documenting them in a customised procedural manual you can't go wrong.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found a feature that is not useful

Recommendations to others considering the product

visit www.documentmanagementsoftware.com.au

Significantly increased productivity and overhead reductions

M-Files review by Doug O.
Doug O.

"M-Files helps manage business process tied to paper and people."

What do you like best?

Saving documents based on what they are and not where they are is a brilliant idea. The document workflow can take a business process such as invoice payment and completely push an electronic version of the invoice thru our human approval process. M-Files can be installed and running in less than two hours. It takes a couple of days to map out your document classes and workflows, depending on how many you have and how complex they are. The Windows integration is very slick and reliable. Adding a new paper document to M-Files is as easy as pushing the "scan document" button and keying in a couple of fields that you create. Scanning paper documents to a network folder can be picked up by M-Files and pushed into a document repository.

What do you dislike?

There is a slight learning curve that can be overcome by showing employees what buttons they need to push in order to save and search for documents.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask for a sales demo and you can see all of the bells and whistles in about an hour. There is also a cloud only version.

We needed a central document repository that all of our employees could save and share documents securely. The workflow capability has turned out to be a very valuable feature and has helped us automate several business processes that begin with paper or electronic documents.

M-Files review by Jody R.
Jody R.

"Setup, configuration and management of MFiles"

What do you like best?

What I like best about M-Files is that users are able to access data with views and with metadata, easy search functionality and version control. M-files does not allow you to lose data, you can always go back to an earlier version if you need to. Users are able to stop saving files out to network shares with multiple names, losing important data in the process.

The setup of M-Files is easy with the use of classes and objects. The administration tasks are not hard, setting up views for users is easy and creating new metadata classes for users is a snap.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that there is a learning curve to using the system. Users are not used to thinking of files from a metadata perspective and there is quite a bit of training to do. It is not intuitive for the regular user to set up a view and they typically rely on IT to do it for them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a worth looking into to see if it fits your needs. A good product.

We are solving the problem of running out of space on network drives where users are saving multiple versions of files and losing them on a regular basis.

M-Files review by Chuck B.
Chuck B.

"Haven't found an industry that M-Files is NOT a fit for so far."

What do you like best?

We're really just getting started with the product, but have found it to be extremely easy to set up and use. Over a period of three days, I imported about 20,000 files from our server, using provided tools to associate metadata culled from a connected external CRM system. This data was immediately available to our staff with no up front training (we're doing training, but it wasn't needed to get them started)

What do you dislike?

Documentation in some areas could be clearer. It's taken a little time to wrap our heads around the "it's not about where it is but rather what it is and what you are looking for" concept; basically the hierarchical file structure goes away completely, forcing you to think about WHAT the data really is and how you'd like to access it. I dislike this because it's a change that's not the most comfortable. That is NOT to say that it's not a good change, just that it's a change.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch the videos, download the trial, contact us!

We are solving a tanged mess of file organization, files that need to be related by metadata that previously had to exist as copies or not be associated in all the places they needed to be. That goes away with M-Files. Also, this now eliminates the email routing for approvals, as workflow s built in.

M-Files review by Karla C.
Karla C.

"Document system, Content management, Compliance, e- signature and CRM capabilities all in One. "

What do you like best?

I have been working with M-Files as an independent consultant for the past 2 years. The clients I have worked with wanted solutions that were easy to implement and followed their business process, not a pre-defined, boxed solution. Being certified on another popular CRM system I have found that M-Files is by far the easiest to mold to a customer's business needs. The ability to define objects and connect to other data systems allows an organization's disparate systems to tie data together in a container that allows for a complete picture of information stored. Whether it is an email, a document, picture, project milestone, data from a financial system or document that has been modified several times, M-Files allows information to be queried in a manner that does not ask "where" but "what" they are looking for. A separate OCR module can easily bring in and make documents searchable and even import information from defined form fields as metadata. Workflows are easily configured and can create assignments automatically for users with notifications along the way..

Document history audit is extensive, who did what, when what version, comparisons of doc changes and comments fields help to understand the why of document or information changes. Easy creation of templates can allows merging of the metadata into a document even allowing for signatures to be merged into document as well. The history information for document revisions is outstanding and the ability to roll a document back to a previous version is a key benefit. Instead of storing the document multiple times you are storing once and all the updates going forward. This is a key benefit for organizations struggling with capacity issues.

M-Files can integrate with SAP, Salesforce, Microsoft Dynamics, Great Plains (recent implemenation) .... any accessible SQL database can pass data into and be updated by M-Files ( or not if that is not desired). As a true hybrid solution, this can be implemented in private clouds or in Microsoft Azure cloud. Access on any device via client application or web enabled. Apps are available for Android and IOS. Permissions are easy to configure and prevent unauthorized access to information allowing for compliance in a number of regulated industries. Many of our clients are excited about scaling the product easily as they grow. Configuration allows organizations to modify as their processes change or add other departments. Multi- location companies can also share information by setting up vault backup processes.

What do you dislike?

Would like to see some easier to code triggers for workflows that flow across numerous objects.... but that is an issue with most databases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Erase the concept of folder search from your understanding. Think instead of the business process and what information users need in order to complete tasks and access information. Determine business processes and gaps upfront. The flexibility of M-Files makes it easy to close some of those gaps. Also, understand that starting off with a few processes or a specific department at first allows for greater adoption of M-Files. Adding more users or processes is easily done.

Insurance business that needed to manage legal and incorporation documents. Allowed them to query for documents based on data that had previously just been part of their folder naming structure. In addition, by creating workflows and notifications they are able to speed up renewal processes. Currently working with a client who is tracking financial documents with approval processes by different levels of users. The process developed was determined by the client and fits what works for them. Changing this process will not be difficult as they grow.

M-Files review by Gabriela B.
Gabriela B.

"Great features and easy to use"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to save documents in M-Files and even more easy to search information. Also, the application is highly configurable which makes it easy to set workflows, security access, metadata structure or document types. They also use dynamic folders (virtual folders called views) that make all the difference in searching documents by organizing documents based on what they are instead of where they are stored. So you can view documents and other items exactly how you need them.

The standard package includes all features, so there is no need to purchase additional modules for tasks, workflows, saving emails from outlook, etc.

What do you dislike?

I don't have negative comments regarding M-Files

Recommendations to others considering the product

M-Files is great value for money

Centralizing documents in a single database, having full access to document versions and a powerfull tool for searching information.

M-Files review by Gary B.
Gary B.

"A flexible, state of the art DMS"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use, offers the latest technology, and it's very modestly priced for the range of capabilities it offers. It can run both with a local client or via the web; hosted locally or in the cloud. It works with mobile devices like Droid, iPad and iPhones. It is easy to configure and deploy.

What do you dislike?

It is very tightly integrated with Microsoft Windows, and can really only be hosted on that platform. While it can work with iOS and other devices, it can't be deployed on alternate platforms like Linux.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the only go-forward DMS that I would recommend to anyone. It is state of the art, and statnds head and shoulders above other content management systems. The M-Files team has done a fantastic job of creating flexible, powerful system.

We have used it as a metadata-driven Document Management System to associate other documents with applications.

M-Files review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"M-Files a Great Resource for Document Management"

What do you like best?

The search feature is the best part about this software it is very fast. The software allows for in depth searching that includes metadata as well as file contents.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the permissions they are not dynamic enough.

File management and organization was an issue. The benefit of the software is that it offers a central location for all company documents.

M-Files review by Bill T.
Bill T.

"Like Source Control for Documents"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to open an document as read-only so that the possibility of corruption is eliminated. Version and contribution history is great along with tagging an keywords to help locate documents. Definitely better than server file shares for keeping track of working documents.

What do you dislike?

The Office plug-ins are not a robust as they could be. Most of the work we do is using Office and having plug-ins and link associations become unresponsive is a nuisance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maintain a good working relationship with your vendor.

Trying to replace the loss of work that occurs when document become unresponsive. We were also replacing a previous document management system that was becoming a little long of tooth.

M-Files review by Chris F.
Chris F.

"M-Files Legal"

What do you like best?

I think the price was what really caught our attention. Compared to all the other softwares we researched M-Files legal was certainly our top option. M-files is all Microsoft based which directly integrates with outlook as well. As an end-user saving, creating and finding documents is so easy! Learning and implementing new systems is always a difficult process, but with M-files everything is already integrated with existing systems so there is no real learning curve for this system.

What do you dislike?

I have yet to find anything that I dislike about this software, not to say there aren't any bugs. I have tried numerous document/case management software's before and they all failed miserably - all except for M-files! Since the product is so new, re-sellers are scrambling to learn the administrative aspects of running the software. This is much more difficult to learn and can certainly be a full-time job, which I only have a limited amount of time in the day to study for certification.

I tried to buy the software through M-files Company instead of our vendor and that caused a big problem as well. The software itself is AMAZING!

We are in the process of replacing paper with digital documents. Our state requires us to print our any filings, but other than that we've turned the file and storage room into offices that will be occupied with attorney who are generating us money. Also we no longer need our off-site storage which is saving us big money.

Since we handle cases that deal with Medical and Health departments we have to be OSHA compliment and M-files keeps track of the history of every document along with filling in important metadata that helps describe the document. Our clients are able to see our progress on documents and we have an automated workflow which created a streamline process with easy access to documents.

M-Files review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Google for your files"

What do you like best?

It can be an out the box solution or easily customized to be a Human Resources management system, or Accounts Payable solution I have even used it for an Asset Management system. The flexibility of the product has allowed it to cross industries and be a solution in many different ways. The number one thing you need when you search for a document is the speed and efficiency of how you find it, everything else is waste, redundancy and cost!

The traditional way to find a paper document is to go to the filing cabinet look under a letter, flick through and then retrieve what you need. Sometimes it is there, sometimes it’s under another letter (misfiled), and then you skim through looking for the information you need.

What do you dislike?

It has the ability to do so much that for non-computer literate people that just want it for search and retrieval it doesn't always get utilized to its extent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Setup can be daunting, have a plan going in.

Paperless is an easy one in general, but specifically with litigation if you can convince your client, in an industry that litigates frequently to keep organized data/documents you can reduce the overall data that needs to be captured in an e-discovery process. Many years ago, my firm had been sold on case-management software that just wasn’t user friendly. Every time we would bring in paralegal staffing, we would have this big learning curve. We introduced us to case-management software with a social media theme. With their support, it cut our learning curve in half, and the user interface has helped increase our production turnaround.”

M-Files review by Executive Sponsor in Financial Services
Executive Sponsor in Financial Services

"Workflows are transformative"

What do you like best?

Very flexible and adaptable to many uses. M-FIles is increasing our productivity in an immeasurable way. Processes are now documented and secured in a manner where we can easily and consistently repeat a process throughout the organization. We no longer waste time looking for where a document was saved on our network. All documents are almost instantly retrievable.

What do you dislike?

M-Files has a somewhat steep learning curve but like any software its about familiarity. In addition, we have found it difficult to find outside independent consultants to assist in development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hire an independent consultant (rather than a reseller or M-Files) before you make decisions about how you design its application in your organization.

By incorporating M-Files into our process and procedure, we are more easily meeting the substantial regulatory requirements of banking. In addition, it should improve our SAEE 16 audit results.

We believe that the cost of the system is far outweighed by the amount of time saved in procedural automation as well as searching for files.

M-Files review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"M-Files allows you to enforce security based on document type or content. "

What do you like best?

You can use M-Files' powerful workflow to manage business processes and control access. Integrate with existing software systematically without resorting to programming. The customisable interface allows you to incorporate your corporate branding.

M-Files makes implementation simple with a familiar, intuitive interface whether you are on premise, in the Cloud or on the Web, and Mobile Apps for when you are on the move. You can simplify your security and user management with Active Directory integration and a single sign on.

What do you dislike?

It would be useful to have a graphical interface for configuring workflows. The current interface although sufficient, can lead to simple mistakes when putting together complex solutions. The API is very powerful and useful but the documentation could be better.

M-File can be used to solve a wide variety of business needs.

M-Files review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"A powerful, efficient and modern Enterprise Content Management Software"

What do you like best?

Full integration with windows shell, Powerful Web Client, Metadata Driven, implementation flexibility , efficient and very quick integration with external databases and other systems.

What do you dislike?

The graphical non-existence of a running workflow.

Content Management, BPM, and Paperless office

M-Files review by Debby K.
Debby K.

"New to M-Files but like what I see"

What do you like best?

Ease of use. Being able to quickly save a document from Outlook or Office. The searching works very well. Their pricing model is reasonable and do-able.

What do you dislike?

Not a dislike, but need to get concept of the classes and ways that you index documents. Used to creating fields and filling them in so just getting used to that.

Small company document management. Being able to quickly store and index documents into the M-Files vault. And the ease of use of finding them again.

M-Files review by David N.
David N.

"Knowledgeable Customer and Reseller for 3+ years!"

What do you like best?

The ability to quickly and efficiently find the information I'm looking for on a day to day basis whether I'm in the office or outside. The mobile features of M-files has taken the product to new heights. I never wonder what I did with the last spreadsheet I was working on.

What do you dislike?

My biggest complaint would have to be the lack of iOS support and cross vault searching.

Recommendations to others considering the product

An amazing product with HUGE value.

Of finding the most relevant and accurate information within an organization. Much more time efficient.

M-Files review by User in Computer Software

"M-Files great as an office catch-all"

What do you like best?

Instead of requesting documents from individuals or groups, I know I can go to M-Files to start my search across our entire company.

What do you dislike?

I would like a better way to search and report on the information in M-Files with more advanced terms.

We are solving the problem of storing documents in various locations. We realized the benefit of a shared document database that saves time when searching for information and references.

M-Files review by Vee A.
Vee A.

"M-files to the rescue"

What do you like best?

The ease of setup and configuration. Setting up users and access permissions/

What do you dislike?

Intermittent slow performance - we are still investigation and might not be related to M-files.

Search needs to be more intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it :)

We were using a network shared drive for document management and it was a nightmare.

M-file significantly helped to solve our document management issues.

M-Files review by Stephen H.
Stephen H.

"Highly recommend M-Files DMS to get your improve your ability to streamline workflow!"

What do you like best?

Fully integrated with Windows and Office, so it requires no heavy training for most users.

What do you dislike?

Now that it is mobile friendly, away from the office restrictions have now been eliminated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep making mobile access and focus.

Ensuring consistency for file naming and rapid access, thus saving time and eliminating frustration.

M-Files review by Executive Sponsor in Information Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Services

"Easy to use Information / Document Management"

What do you like best?

Fully integrated and easy to use in windows environment.

What do you dislike?

We do not dislike anything in the product so far

Recommendations to others considering the product

Implement process by process and although it is easy, make time to implement.

DMS / CRM / Invoice Processing / Knowledge Management

M-Files review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"We create databases for clients"

What do you like best?

The simple searching style and comprehensiveness.

What do you dislike?

not much yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

do it.

data management, finding docs, sorting docs

Learning about M-Files?

* We monitor all M-Files reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.