Mailgun

Mailgun

Mailgun has powerful APIs that allow you to send, receive and track email effortlessly. Built for developers, by developers.

Work for Mailgun?

Learning about Mailgun?

Mailgun Reviews

Ask Mailgun a Question
Showing 134 Mailgun reviews
Mailgun review by <span>Olaf L.</span>
Olaf L.

"One of the best transactional email providers I know"

What do you like best?

Most of all their control panel is very easy to use, just add your domain, add some DNS records and you're ready to go. They offer 10000 free emails every month, that's enough for regular emails. The log file is also very helpful to see where are problems. The support is very helpful and fast even if you run your account with free credits.

What do you dislike?

It's possible to receive emails while using Mailgun too. They don't have a mailbox, but you can forward the mail to your own email address. The spamfilter they are using for this service is much to low and many spam messages are forwarded too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a great SMTP transactional service, go for Mailgun. The first years I never paid a $ and got some great service. Tip! Add you creditcard to get more free options.

I use Mailgun for every email which is send from a website form to the owners email box. This way I don't need a mail server on each web server.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Mailgun
Mailgun review by <span>Pankaj (Peter) T.</span>
Pankaj (Peter) T.

"Great service for the entry level packages. "

What do you like best?

If you are just starting out, you are most likely going to stay under 10,000 email per month limit of the free package. Don't have to pay anything. Other thing that I like is that you can add multiple domains.

Domain Verification and DNS are super easy. Reports tells you how many emails processed, delivered, suppressed, dropped, etc. and you can download reports in CSV format if needed.

Customer Service is great over live chat.

What do you dislike?

If you need a Dedicated IP address, price is way too high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For the entry level prices and service is great. We also use other other service provider just for the backup.

Sending mass mails was a big problem before Mailgun, hosting service providers don't allow and domain/IP was getting black listed.

What Transactional Email solution do you use?

Mailgun review by <span>Jamie P.</span>
Jamie P.

"Only keep logs for 30 days"

What do you like best?

When it works, it sends email to people

What do you dislike?

Mailgun purges logs after 30 days so when you are mistakenly charged for sending 55k emails, despite having only 500 people on your list, as happened to me, they will throw up their hands and make you eat the cost. Customer service would not hear my side of it and refused to budge. In addition, adding members to a list occasionally fails which was causing my user registration to fail, resulting in users creating multiple accounts trying to sign up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avoid this company, due to billing issues, poor customer support and api issues.

Maintain mailing list of app users

Mailgun review by <span>Andrew U.</span>
Andrew U.

"Works fine, until it doesn't."

What do you like best?

The system itself works as advertised, it's when (not if) your IP pool gets blacklisted that things become a problem. Easy to set up.

What do you dislike?

Customer Support is some of the worst I've ever seen. Over 24 hours to respond to a ticket, no real answers, puts the problem on you, the user.

We were delivering e-mails perfectly fine for 4 or 5 months with bounce rates of about ~2% daily. All of the sudden we were moved to a different IP pool citing our bounce rate was above the 5% threshold. Checking the logs, our bounce rate was fine until we were moved to a different pool, where we were seeing bounce rates of 15%-40% daily.

Asked to be switched to a different IP pool, no response. Asked for a dedicated IP, 36 hours later, a response moving us to a stable IP while we discussed Dedicated IP talks. In the 36 hours it took them to respond I found a different ESP, setup the server, and started sending mail through them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful of the IP pool you are placed in. Without warning they can switch you and cause your emails to drop.

We were sending out transactional emails for our proofing system which requires back and forth communication between us and the customer.

Mailgun review by <span>Mike D.</span>
Mike D.

"Best solution for transactional emails"

What do you like best?

I love the pricing of mailgun, you get to send 12.000 free emails each month without any limits on sending per day or per hour. The service uptime is outstanding, the API is well documented and easy to get started with. All in all a good service that I highly recommand.

What do you dislike?

I use mailgun only for transactions emails, and I don't have any complaint.

The benefits are that mailgun is working 99.99% while my own mail server may shutdown or encounter any problem preventing it from sending emails, I relay on mailgun to send the most important of my transactions email.

Mailgun review by User in Computer Software

"Great service for broad email support"

What do you like best?

The interface with Mailgun is great, and everything is generally easy to find. I also enjoy the variety of services available for tracking emails, issues, and resolutions. Also Mailgun is always very responsive when we need their assistance with a problem and are quick to communicate details and help get everything taken care of for us.

What do you dislike?

While I don't use the entire system in my area of the business, what I do use can have some frustrating quirks, like slow loading times or a graph obscuring some of the page. Small stuff that is mostly personal preference at this point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should give this system a try, as it should satisfy the needs of a variety of businesses that wish to monitor outgoing emails to clients. Features are broad and support is very responsive.

We can update our clients on the status of our email service, as well as troubleshoot issues for them as to why our email messages aren't being accepted by direct customers.

Mailgun review by <span>Sergio V.</span>
Sergio V.

"Best API out there"

What do you like best?

The API is the easiest and most convenient to integrate. Also, their customer service is excellent. They are willing to help even their customers on the free plan and very fast!

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far. But do keep in mind that some of their IP's for the free accounts are blocked, but that is only because people like to abuse services like Mailgun. So just contact their customer support, be reasonable, and do not spam, and I'm sure they will treat you as good as they have treated us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use your domain name and their live environment for development. Switch to Test Mode and use their Sandbox environment to test all of your stuff, so that the reputation of the IP and your domain stays in tact.

Provide our customers with transaction notifications through Email

Mailgun review by <span>Kelsey M.</span>
Kelsey M.

"Great service, extremely flexible free option!"

What do you like best?

The deliver-ability of our existing server was faultering, some email was being sent and some email was not. When we switched to use Mailgun to send our website's emails... our problems went away. Their reliability and deliver-ability is great, their read/opened/clicked reports are great, and the ability to check if an email was sent/delivered is fantastic! We even have resent multiple emails if a customer "didn't get it" and it makes that a breeze as we can look up the email in the log and resend it. Their free account is great for small businesses that send less than 10k emails a month from their server, which I believe, is most websites!

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I actually dislike about Mailgun, everything I have used on their system has worked well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it on your server, it's way more reliable than sending mail through PHP!

We use Mailgun to replace sending emails from our webserver, which was very unreliable. Now with Mailgun and the use of their SMTP plugin on Wordpress, all our mail gets delivered quickly and reliably.

Mailgun review by <span>Victor H.</span>
Victor H.

"The best Email API service"

What do you like best?

The API is perfect, using it with Rails is so good, and it also have a Heroku add-on, I also use it for incoming emails. Send emails through the API is very simple, the webhooks system is perfect, the admin pannel shows you a very detailed log with the all your request information, great to debug the email delivery and receiving. The reporting page is great, it helps me to keep tracking of my emails.

What do you dislike?

The incoming emails feature needs improvement for example it will be nice to support meta-data for those incoming emails, there is only a URL and the default email info which is good but having additional data will be much better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a Heroku dev please read the Heroku docs which are updated, you will find this resouces helpful.

It resolves my main issue at the company I work at: Incoming emails and email delivery.

Mailgun review by <span>Alexander K.</span>
Alexander K.

"I am a very happy User"

What do you like best?

Api Documentation is great, sending speed is fantastic.

Webhooks are really useful for real time reaction to events like invalid email adresses - you can remove them right in your own database with a small script.

The DNS setup guide was very helpful, we where able to configure our dns entries in a few minutes, the verifivation was almost instant after that

What do you dislike?

Nothing, i am very happy with it how it is.

A few more examples in javascript/nodejs would be nice, or even a official supported (or recommended) npm module (We use nodejs for our backend, it was not to hard to integrate mailgun into our system, but we had to refer to the documentation quite often)

Recommendations to others considering the product

The setup process is very efficient

Sending transactional mail like subscription verifications or password reset messages

We also send small newsletters to our customers, the automatic link tracking and unsubscribe handling was very helpful for understanding our customers.

Mailgun review by <span>Jonathan M.</span>
Jonathan M.

"Best email service for developper"

What do you like best?

Easy interface, amazing tools even in the free version of the service. Gives you 10K free email sent per month

What do you dislike?

For the moment, nothing but I've been using it for about 4 months with no drawback so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No brainer at all, I've the switch for one of my company and now in the process of moving my other services to.

Unsuccessful mail delivery, especially for my woocommerce customers who weren't receiving my emails at all. Since have move my service to mailgun, 99.9% delivery rate.

Mailgun review by <span>Christophe V.</span>
Christophe V.

"Awesome product"

What do you like best?

Best and simple product I ever known ! The api is really simple to use and to integrate in any app/script.

It's easy to test and use the service : They offer 10000 free emails every month, that's enough for regular emails.

They support webhooks like many but it's really easy to use and to parse on your backend (as well it's easy to filter inbound post that coming from mailgun because there is a signature in each message you can check) : It's better that filtering on source IP.

They also have detailed logs (that you don't have in competitors product), so it's easy to check when you have an issue with a recipient.

What do you dislike?

Not so much thing: On shared IP, you can have sometime a bad reputation (fault from some bad users) but when it occurs the support solve quickly, so not so bad as some other transactional email service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use it everywhere ;) and don't forget to use the bounce webhook to clean your DB and protect your reputation. It's really easy to start : They offer 10000 free emails every month, that's enough for regular emails.

Used for transactional email first, with a successful experience (good ip reputation, API easy to use), we deploy the solution in all our software and marketing tools. We're using Mailgun for every email which is send from a website form, as well for transactional email and marketing email (newsletter). We never had to setup and configure an email server !

Mailgun review by <span>Rafael C.</span>
Rafael C.

"Sending messages from Django"

What do you like best?

The API to send messages is amazing. I used the Python API to send messages from a Django view in an event website, sending confirmations to people who signed up for the event. It was a very low traffic project, since it was my own wedding website, so the free number of messages per month is way more than enough.

In the second project, the application of Mailgun was more trivial, since it's used to send support requests to the developers, where I am one of them. The mailing list support is pretty great too - it's what I used in this case, alongside the the Javascript API.

What do you dislike?

The use of custom message templates could've been easier, but honestly, I don't think there are any negative aspects - Mailgun is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The simple API alone is reason enough to consider Mailgun.

I used Mailgun in two different applications: (1) I needed to send confirmation emails for people who RSVP'd on our website and (2) send support requests to a mailing list, also powered by Mailgun, for the developers to see (www.latam-map.org).

Mailgun review by <span>Scott B.</span>
Scott B.

"Solid SMTP Service Provider"

What do you like best?

An easy-to-use web interface and detailed logs of all transactional messages make tracking emails and identifying deliverability issues a breeze. Support staff is knowledgeable and willing to educate even the most basic users on the ins-and-outs of configuring DNS records and settings as needed, which is incredibly helpful for those just getting started.

What do you dislike?

Support tickets for more complex issues sometimes go unanswered for extended periods of time or are never answered at all, being marked as "On-Hold" indefinitely. Response time to tickets used to consistently be within 24 hours of submitting, but have now extended out to 72 hours. There is no way to contact support other than through the online form (no phone number to call), which can be frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the trial period before signing up

Our firm needed a reliable transactional SMTP service for delivering emails to clients and candidates and tracking email deliverability through an easy-to-use web interface and detailed email logs. Before, our firm was utilizing a shared IP pool from our database vendor for sending email, which led to numerous deliverability issues and prevented us from being able to track whether or not our emails were actually being delivered. After signing up with MailGun, we were able to work with their support staff and set up a dedicated IP, and now have the ability to trace every single email transaction through their web interface.

Mailgun review by <span>Rahul C.</span>
Rahul C.

"Mailgun is my NINJA"

What do you like best?

Mailgun offers 10K emails for free per day. For any small or medium business, that just more than enough. Plus if you have more customers, you can send rest of the emails next day. That is just good charity on mailgun's part.

Its easy to use and deploy and have a clean website. What more do you want for free?

Oh, and the time to deliver a mail is super-fast, so you are not compromising on anything really.

What do you dislike?

The instructions for deployment seemed a bit difficult given that I did not know a thing about sending emails when I started doing this. There should be a "sending emails for dummies" kind of tutorial. But no issues, I did found several tutorials on youtube ^_^

Moreover, I would like them to create an API to "send more beautiful emails". It is not kind of their domain, but I would love them to take some action on this front.

I also think they should support "preview" of emails on different devices and mail clients. If they build this, imagine what the devs can do with it. They will have all the tools to design and send emails, all from one place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You need a bit of a learning curve to understand this whole mess of sending emails. Its not mailgun's fault, but they don't make it any easier. So first things first - Go understand mail protocols and stuff. Once you get the idea, you come back, and you will find things make much more sense now.

What I realized later was that they also give you a sandbox account, so that you can test you code with that account without harming your users or actual production server, so make use of that account.

My web-product helps users sell digital content to their customers. I need emails for various things:

1. Transaction.

2. in-house messaging.

3. Notices.

4. Birthday greetings.

5. Mass email marketing.

6. Letting users know when their wishlist item is on sale.

Mailgun is required to send thousand of emails in all above scenarios.

Mailgun review by <span>Jesus Christian C.</span>
Jesus Christian C.

"MailGung A Mail Shotter"

What do you like best?

The mail api is the best tool, you can send mail from isolated hosts whit very realibility, or build mail centric app. the api explain the data, and get traceabiity to all mail acros all recipters

The second "best" if mail gun is the "seller offer" you can build mail complex infraestructure, and make mail secure infrastructre at same time, in single "next based wizard"

And if you integrate whit CMS+mailgun pluggin, you are in the "only" mail server you ned. and exist pluggins to "all" popular CMS.

If you build "by-domain" app, for low trafic, the service is free, and if you build very intensive mail the cost is very rationale.

What do you dislike?

your keys are shared in all deploys, if your need deploy in "high risk" enviremont, and your key are lost, you need change in all deploy points.

The "routes" tool is hard to config, and non intuitive, you can make "no route" rutes and you cant recibe some alerts

Recommendations to others considering the product

nThe mail gun deploy depend of your dns, you need solid dns config to enchance the rewards in mail gun.

You can deploy simple CMS, or complex in house app, is only your desition.

Send mail from "ondemand" vps for escalable architecture, create a cheap and simple infraestrucutre, whit enchanced security.

You can detect "non-valid email" in advance, and "wait" to open mail,

if is your desire you can build "auditable e-mail" whit great traceability

Mailgun review by <span>Tom B.</span>
Tom B.

"Very reasonably priced email sending"

What do you like best?

The amount of APIs available for mailgun is astounding. The ability to send mail over CURL is very efficient and saves having to use the PHP SDK available, even though that may be a better solution.

Setup is really easy, you just point some MX and SPF records to mailgun and you're ready to send. Mail is delivered 99.99% of the time as long as everything is set up correctly.

You can create your own campaign within the dashboard which allows you to track emails and the delivery specific to that campaign. This is achieved by simply adding a header into the email sent with mailgun. The integration is seamless and works very well when put into production.

You can even rent a dedicated IP for $59. Very good service.

What do you dislike?

The inbound routing feature was very hard to get working. In the end, we settled for just using a Google Apps mailbox as it caused too many problems with our setup. If it's changed since we used that feature, I apologise.

Functionality is limited for the free plan but that is to be expected for a service like this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the docs. It'll make transitioning so much easier and will allow you to get the full benefit from this product.

Sending emails from Mailgun can save us anywhere from $1-$20 a month due to the first 10,000 being free and anything thereafter is dirt cheap.

Mailgun review by <span>Prateek G.</span>
Prateek G.

"Nice Email Marketing Tool with 10000** free emails."

What do you like best?

1. Ofcourse the 10000 free email options. I have also used mailjet, which is quite decent service but it only provides 6000 free emails per month.

2. Then managing the contact list, adding people, subscribing and unsubscribing, everything is just perfect with a good and decent looking UI.

3. The dashborad is very well maintained and neatly designed.

4. Logs and keeping the track of the emails sent are also good.

5. Delivery is really fast for the emails.

What do you dislike?

1. The daily limit, its awesome to get 10000 free emails every month, but I believe there should be freedom to use it anyday, anyhow one wants.

2. I was not very much impressed by the documentation. mailjet have better documentation than mailgun.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Without any hesitation I would recommend everyone to atleast give this email marketing platform a go, there are pretty similar and even better email marketing platforms out there like sendgrid and sendinblue and mailjet, but this is worth giving a try. I would recommend people to also try sendinblue as it is also and awesome email marketing platform.

We are a small startup, and need to send many emails to our target audience and clients and mailgun helps us do that with good ease. I love the API of mailgun. Its quite easy to send mails to many many people out there, your clients your target audience.

We use mailgun mostly for the email marketing purpose.

Mailgun review by <span>Peter J.</span>
Peter J.

"Gunning mails with Mailgun"

What do you like best?

Mail has a huge free tier. We could send out atleast 10000 mails month for free when starting our and that was something that was very important for us in the starting stages. We needed to send a lot of emails for testing out and not many providers gave away so many mails for free. We didn't use all the features like templates and click tracking and things like that.

What do you dislike?

For free users there is a delay in sending mails and it might be as good as the paid users. The mails don't have whitelabelling as other mail providers and so it gets blocked by some servers. I guess they don't care about the quality of delivery of free mails and reduce the quality of service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it if proper contact with your customers and a vital key in your business. Make sure you track your customers with your emails also.

We are solving employee engagement and customer engagement. To do that we introduce gamification mechanics into the workforce and to get users engaged. We need to regularly send notification emails to our users and also reports and for that we need to powerful mail service provider and mail gun did the trick.

Mailgun review by <span>Benjamin B.</span>
Benjamin B.

"Transactional email for developers. Does what it says on the tin!"

What do you like best?

- Easy to use web interface to set-up a domain and view email sending logs with great detail.

- Mostly well-documented API with a wide selection of libraries for different languages to choose from, both first-party and third-party. I've been using the Ruby library and it has been very stable. Also has the option to use SMTP instead of using the API which means you can integrate this with practically anything.

- Very easy to get up and running. Create account, verify email/SMS, add a domain, set DNS records with your DNS provider and you're ready to go.

- Ability to use a sandbox for testing.

- Simple, easy-to-understand billing/pricing structure.

- Designed for developers. Savings from not having to implement stuff like a WYSIWYG editor like Mailchimp gets passed on to you.

- Free to start off with up to 10k emails (great for smaller startups and basic uses like a contact form).

What do you dislike?

- Can't view emails from the web administration panel. Maybe this is a good thing for privacy though?

- Some features aren't documented too well (e.g. the scheduling emails function).

- Can't cancel scheduled emails, and can only schedule 3 days in advance.

- Often stumble upon error pages when using the web interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a developer looking for a simple carrier for your transactional emails, this is definitely worth a look. Stay away if you're not the techie type though, as this is explicitly for developers!

It allows me to easily deal with sending large amounts of emails for an affordable price, and as a developer do this with ease.

Mailgun review by <span>Natalia K.</span>
Natalia K.

"Reliable email delivery service"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup, the documentation is very good and the API is easy to use.

They provide the ability to create a campaign and get a reporting based on the campaign.

The other very useful feature is a scheduled delivery.

They are not expensive and provide 10000 massages for free per moth and it is more than enough for the small projects.

What do you dislike?

Mailgun is amazing and simple to use. There is nothing to dislike them for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mailgun is a great email service. It's perfect for the projects of any size. Small projects would be able to use it for free. The documentation and support is good as well.

I use Mailgun for all types of emails and it provides the great overview of how different campaigns perform.

Mailgun review by <span>Alon N.</span>
Alon N.

"Mailgun is the most developer friendly managed email service I worked with"

What do you like best?

Good docs, great support. good developer integration. Api and webhooks. sane logging and logs search.. Also a great generous free tier

What do you dislike?

Logs search could be better, sometimes you need to clear all filters and just start anew.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use a lib and don't roll your own. finished **all** the domain dns setup, including the non binding parts

Sending transactional email via api without handling email by myself, especially things like unsubscribe and spam.

Mailgun review by <span>Sazzad Hossain S.</span>
Sazzad Hossain S.

"Powerful transactional email sending service"

What do you like best?

Sometime provides dedicated IP address into free accounts for use.

Provides IP addresses, SMTP and API based email sending integration documentation. Support custom domain name add feature and customizing the features. Provides Sandbox Domain for testing purpose.

Ability to add mailing lists into account.

Have advanced and large logs and reporting features. Available Routes features also. Advanced incoming and outgoing tracking features that provides verities information's about email sending.

Create and manage the Campaigns from web dashboard. Have Webhooks features for notifications.

What do you dislike?

Email which was sent it takes time to receive the owners. Does not send the emails to Yahoo accounts.

Windows Hotmail and Outlook users receive the emails into Junk folder.

Needs to implement and fix the bugs for dedicated and trustworthy transactional emails.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mailgun provide 10,000 free credits for users and resets the credits every month. Send your all the transactional emails like Invoice, Notifications, Billing Alerts, Login reminder or other kind of emails within Mailgun. If you have Yahoo based subscribers, you will face some problems. Because, Mailgun does not sent emails to Yahoo accounts.

Overall, this is great application to start with it. Have SMTP and API based email sending features. Trace and Log your sending. Add custom domain name and email addresses while sending. Create Campaign and Contact lists easily.

Sending and tracking transactional emails which was send from website or API. Collecting email delivery reports and opening reports as well. Provides error and bounce reports and flag that could filter through system.

Checking the email header and message information from logs. Also can collect the subscriber/ contact lists easily.

Mailgun review by <span>Nathan N.</span>
Nathan N.

"Great tool to integrate and be transational"

What do you like best?

The integration to our app was fast and the integrity of the deliveries was incredible. The things I like the most is the great API support and the HTTP methods to send emails.

What do you dislike?

The sandlike time took some time. Also, we have not used many features so the pricing could be a little more flexible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mailgun is a excellent tool for rapid prototyping and stays reliable for small projects to enterprise delivery. The bound system works pretty well and requires no configuration. I would give it a try since the integrations for testing environments can be done in less than a day and from there, you can choose if it fits your need or not.

Our project was an MVP for a brand-new task manager system. We used mailgun to handle transactional e-mails and send weekly reports to our users. After a while we started sending server alerts and our main benefit then was the easy way to integrate multiple parts of our application and just plug in what we needed.

Mailgun review by <span>Chris S.</span>
Chris S.

"Painless email integration"

What do you like best?

Mailgun essentially eliminates the headaches of email integration. Previously I've setup postfix and sendmail manually and it always ends up the same: complaints of emails not being delivered, false positive spam blocking, and MX blacklisting. With Mailgun, I don't have to worry about any of that. I love the large monthly send limit as most client applications I build do not need massive quantities of email delivered. This allows us to remain in the free tier and keep costs down.

What do you dislike?

I really can't think of anything "bad" to say about the service. It works exactly as expected for me, and the only times I've had problems, they were the result of poor DNS support on the registrar side (such as poor support for TXT records which are vital to proper email setup).

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best thing about Mailgun is that once you set it up, you really don't have to think about it anymore. And if you do run into an issue, the reporting system is very helpful in proving questions such as "did our system send email X to user Y?" This is vital for tracking down WHY an email is not received.

Most of our client applications need email notifications of some form, typically registration confirmation email, forgot password email, etc. Mailgun allows us to provide these features with ease, greatly reducing the amount of setup time required for email integration.

Mailgun review by <span>Steve P.</span>
Steve P.

"Transactional email so good, I forget I have it"

What do you like best?

Mailgun's system is set up so well, and their SDKs for different languages are so complete, that these days I add a domain, add a Ruby gem, and my new Rails project has transactional email ready to go, highly deliverable, and I just don't worry about it after that. It just works.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. Seriously, I see all kinds of people saying I should be using this competitor or that, but Mailgun does everything I need, it does it simply, and I couldn't be more pleased.

All of my outgoing transactional email-- notifications/alerts, passwordless auth, etc.-- go out through Mailgun. Plus I have emails going in thanks to Routes. The ability to parse the content of incoming email to generate a lead or respond intelligently to a customer is priceless.

Mailgun review by Administrator

"Very smooth email handling until a while ago when it turned bad (reviewed October 2017)"

What do you like best?

Handling of incoming mails, abstracting all the ugly things related to interpreting mails.

Review October 2017: In the last months it was increasingly impossible to get mails through. We were nearly all the time on IP addresses that were on blacklists and were refused by giants like hotmail.com - impossible to work with like this.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it's still hard to analyze whether mails got in the junk box of customers or why they were not read (not for newsletter but for individual mails where you know it would have normally been read). But probably it's hard for any platform like mailgun to give reliable feedback on that because it's client side.

Review October 2017: Bad support (only mail and slow) and lots of IP addresses with bad reputation!

Recommendations to others considering the product

check it out

Tracking of which emails have been read and when in a customized message thread is one of our biggest benefits.

Mailgun review by <span>Josh J.</span>
Josh J.

"Mailgun is a go-to tool that I use on every project"

What do you like best?

Mailgun makes it easy to setup incoming *and* outgoing mail. That's key, as most providers do one or the other. I can accept email via webhooks when my application needs to parse email, and I can route others to other mailboxes, which makes it perfect to get a new domain up and running quickly.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to find something I dislike about Mailgun. If I had to choose, I would note that I sometimes see a delay of up to 5 minutes in sending or receiving mail.

We have a tool that parses email and in reality, Mailgun does half the job by providing us pre-processed body text when we accept mail via our API. This is perfect for in-app messaging that also accepts email replies.

Mailgun review by <span>Balwant S.</span>
Balwant S.

"Reliable tool for automated transactional email for apps."

What do you like best?

Mail API Documents are easy and service is quick to setup. It has efficient email delivery and a good feature which is reputation management for mails.

What do you dislike?

It was little difficult to verify domain name with mailgun to send email with our custom sender mail address.

We have integrated mailgun for sending automated emails from backend of our application which are used to send information to our customers.

Mailgun review by <span>Ramón L.</span>
Ramón L.

"Mailgun: The solution for your mailing needs."

What do you like best?

Mailgun is a powerful and easy to use mailing API, we use it with laravel and setup couldn't be any easier. The only "complicated thing" is setting up mx entries, but they provide a really easy to follow tutorial for that.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be confusing, The dashboard is not as straightforward as other apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it yourself it's not hard to set up and i assure you, you will fall in love with mailgun.

Most of the time mailing from a shared host service can be pesky because of mail certification, lack of ssl certificates and mail going to spam folder. Mailgun get's rid of that, your mail will never go into spam again (Of course your email content has to be spam free too). It also provides nice to read statistics about emails status and failure.

Mailgun review by <span>Leandro P.</span>
Leandro P.

"Malign is great for a web app"

What do you like best?

We have been using mail gun for transactional email in our company (www.foxus.me) and it has saved us a lot of money and time to add some e-mail features like confirmation e-mail and forgot my password.

On top of that, we had a quality service for our clients.

Even our clients have noticed the difference when we switched from traditional e-mail to mail gun.

What do you dislike?

There's really nothing important to dislike about mailgun. It's a great tool.

Maybe it's a bit complicated at the beginning but just a few minutes of use are enough for mastering maligun.

My team is very happy now with mail gun.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend maligun if you need a great tool transactional email at low costs.

Mailgun will definiltely help your business.

We needed a powerful tool to connect with our clients, and as a startup we don't have a lot of money.

Mailgun solved this with a quality tool at low cost.

We have used mail gun for:

Forgot your password: If a user forgets it's password mailgun helped us send a very nice (used templates) email that's delivered very fast.

Signup confirmation: When a user signs up to our app they need to confirm their e-mail and we use mailgun to send the e-mail in a nice template so they click it and activate their account.

We are going to use it to delegate a task by e-mail. It's on development but it will be great.

Mailgun review by <span>Isaque F.</span>
Isaque F.

"Amazing Service"

What do you like best?

What i like the most is being able to use several emails without having a inbox to all of them, and also the fact that their servers quality is very high.

The monitoring of each transactional email, from the reception to delivery confirmation is awesome, we can spot any issues immediately, and why.

The fact that i can have multiple domains and apps in the same dashboard, even if the same are in different server across the planet.

What do you dislike?

So far, i dont have any dislikes regarding Mailgun

Recommendations to others considering the product

The level os customization, administration and monitoring makes Mailgun be awesome to manage transactional emails.

I run several Wordpress apps and Mailgun helps me by managing SMTP services and monitoring email delivery and tracking

Mailgun review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Easily Integrates"

What do you like best?

Mailgun is great because of how easy it is to create new emails programatically. We use it to send emails from our application. We get a lot of requests for new emails or changes to existing emails. Mailgun's API makes these changes easy and fast. Also being able to segment and tag emails based on simple header parameters means we can handle all of our use cases simply.

The documentation is also really useful when trying to figure out new features or change how we use it.

What do you dislike?

We do not use the templates available on the front end. We send over the email as we want it sent. The few times I have looked into their templates I have found them not very user friendly.

We use Mailgun to send our user and admin messages form our application to the users and administrators. Mailgun has allowed us to easily setup and manage these emails from within our app.

Mailgun review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Does what it's supposed to!"

What do you like best?

I largely use Mailgun to check on situations in which my customers explain they aren't receiving their emails. I find it easy to look up their email address and determine whether the issue is on our side or is in conflict with their email service.

What do you dislike?

I don't find it intuitive to use some of the other tools offered by Mailgun; that is to say, I use it for primarily a single purpose and little else.

The main business problem would be diagnosing the issues our customers face when they don't receive our multiple-times-a-day emails. I work to resolve these issues and ensure they don't happen again. It is a wonder to be able to point to specific issues that we can work on together.

Mailgun review by <span>Kevin S.</span>
Kevin S.

"Great tool!"

What do you like best?

Easy to set up and use. Does require admin and configuration teams to both makes configuration changes but quick and easy to implement.

What do you dislike?

Lack of configuration guide means there's a certain amount of feeling around in Wordpress to properly implement this addin.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool. Smooth and easy to implement. Try it!

Automated email of dynamically created emails to subscribers/customers. Smoothly generates hundreds/thousands of emails per month.

Mailgun review by <span>Ben H.</span>
Ben H.

"Mailgun is a simple and easy to use tool to send transactional emails"

What do you like best?

Each month, the first 10,000 emails are free. I've never even come close to paying a bill.

What do you dislike?

I've heard at least one business owner claim that Mailgun is only used for SPAM and that they block all Mailgun emails in their SPAM filter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mailgun is quick and easy to setup, the API is well documented and intuitive, and the first 10,000 emails each month are free! What else is there to consider?

I use Mailgun to send emails that are related to specific actions that users take on our website, for example, a confirmation email related to a rental application. Setting up that confirmation mailer increased the conversion rate of users paying the application fee.

Mailgun review by User in Research
User in Research

"Mailgun Review"

What do you like best?

I love that Mailgun is easily searchable and tells you if an email was delivered or bounced. This is useful when trying to troubleshoot why a user did not receive a particular email. I love that you are able to click into an email and see the HTML as well as the content.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how instead of scrolling down the page to see more logs you have to click the right arrow button. This is hard to use when trying to find a particular email. Sometimes the search bar will not pick up an email that I want to find and I am forced to click the right arrow button hundreds of times until I find the email. If the page allowed you to scroll down, it would be a lot easier!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is best to keep all of your emails in one software. We use three different companies to sort our emails and it can be confusing. I would recommend sticking to one!

I am solving the problem of users forgetting their password. Our password reset emails are sent through MailGun and if someone did not receive an email, I can go in and find the link to reset it. I can then either reset it for them or copy and paste the link into another email.

Mailgun review by <span>David L.</span>
David L.

"Simple transactional emails"

What do you like best?

I love the ruby library for mailgun. It makes it super simple to get transactional emails up and running on my Rails projects. Also the REST API is a cinch to work with.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to say about the downsides of mailgun. The UI is probably a little less polished then some of the competition, but I don't have to interact with it much on that level, so I don't notice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work with Ruby on Rails, mailgun_rails (https://github.com/jorgemanrubia/mailgun_rails) is a fantastic way to get up and running with transactional emails quickly and easily.

Building applications for the web. Using Mailgun (via the great Ruby library) means that I can't get emails up and running quickly for my clients, while still providing robust extensibility and customization when needed.

Mailgun review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"It is great working with mailgun, it is always reliable"

What do you like best?

It feels like it is just part of my platform I don't have to worry about anything. I just keep working as normal and the emails will get sent or I receive everything from my costumers as if they were sending it directly to my inbox

What do you dislike?

That some times the emails go to spam and my clients do not get them, I do not know how to change this or improve it and this does cause a problem sometimes, as well when i send the same information more than one time form the second the email won't get send again. For example, I assign a code and it gets sent to my client, if I unassign it and assign it again then no more emails will be sent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great tool, just be sure that emails do not go to spam as it can be an inconvenient. As well have a look at the different packages as it can be very affordable.

An other thing I changed with time was that I was using it for things I didn't need, I reviewed all the emails the platform was sending and I was able to lower it by more than half and of course the price lowered considerably since we changed the settings.

I use Mailgun to activate accounts and send relevant information and it works wonderful as I know the information I have in myplatfrom is accurate.

Mailgun review by <span>Moisés Gabriel C.</span>
Moisés Gabriel C.

"A great and massive email sending tool"

What do you like best?

* No setup: Just register, and a prebuilt test domain will be available for you to use free of charge.

* 10K free emails per month! this is something I've never seen before. Most of my customers don't even need to pay for sent emails.

* Blazing fast and powerful API: Endpoint + URL = Amazingly fast response times and instant delivery, you can schedule and batch-send emails with any language/framework/etc since there is a REST API for you to use at no charge (also).

What do you dislike?

* One of my domains got temporaly suspended for receiving a lot of fake-email sending requests. Story is that I implemented an email-based contest system and customers started registering fake addresses, naturally all of those reached mailgun and they (as a very comprehensible security feature) disabled my domain. I had to buy an external validation service to get the entries validated before hitting mailgun.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use it, you have nothing to lose. Docs are very clear and straightforward to read within. You'd be surprised about how easy is it for sure.

Made a lot (100+) email-based products and Mailgun never fails to deliver, the bounce rate is one of the lowest I seend and the domain setup is quick (once you know what you are doing).

"Mailgun is Good"

What do you like best?

I like that I don't have to worry about email deliverability. In the past, I was always trying to figure out what we could do to get our messages through, and was never satisfied that I'd done enough. Now, we have excellent deliverability and extensive logs to troubleshoot individual cases.

What do you dislike?

We send mail on behalf of a lot of customer domains, and we had some issues with domains losing their 'verified' status because of intermittent DNS issues. It seems that Mailgun's automated domain re-verification processes have been adjusted to prevent this kind of thing, so we're totally happy now.

The only thing that sometimes comes up now is that an end-user will report a message as spam (not understanding the chain reaction triggered by that action), and then come back to us and complain about not getting email. It's mildly annoying, but I'm not sure what Mailgun could do about it. I'd definitely not want to sacrifice deliverability.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless sending email is your company's core competency, make sure you're using a competent vendor. Don't do it yourself. I've used Mailgun and Sendgrid, and I find Mailgun to be the more complete service. Their API, uptime, and support are very good.

We send tons of transactional email, and it's worse than useless when it doesn't make it to the inbox. This used to be a constant suck of customer service and system administration resources, but now we can focus on other things.

Mailgun review by <span>Arsalan J.</span>
Arsalan J.

"Awesome experience"

What do you like best?

The detailed real-time statistics of emails is the best feature. It gives details of the status of emails if they were delivered successfully and if not, what were the reasons of delivery failure.

What do you dislike?

We have problems with sending emails to Inbox of Hotmail. Emails were delivered successfully but in Hotmail, they always go to Junk/Spam folder. We understand that there might be some tweak/trick to resolve this issue.

We had issues with hosting companies in using their email server to deliver emails. Sometimes emails were delivered after several hours or not being sent. We had no way to find the reasons of non-delivery. Using Mailgun has resolved all these issues.

Mailgun review by <span>Tom D.</span>
Tom D.

"Great for notifying out customers"

What do you like best?

It's very reliable. If the system says it's going to send an email, it sends it when it is supposed to. The analytics are useful to see trends about how our emails are being received and the product is always evolving to fit our needs.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit of a process logging in to check send reports. I'd like a daily or monthly report that identified potential errors in our app that might cause emails to go unsent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's reliable. And good pricing!

We are constantly emailing our users for a variety of reasons. Mailgun allows us a reliable way to contact our users at the right time for the right reasons.

"Simple, fast, efficient"

What do you like best?

Does exactly what it says on the tin, email for developers. Powerful API thats easy to integrate with good documenation.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really, maybe some of the inbound mail handling systems could be made a bit easier to comprehend, but that's about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're worried about deliverability, don't be... It's simple and support are great, when an IP gets blacklisted, simply drop them a mail and they'll get you on a new one. In the year and a bit we have used them, we've found ourselves on a blacklist once and within 20 minutes of reporting it, both times we had our sending IP changed.

Deliverability and link tracking have become an integral part of our system. We used to wait until we received a phone call to say that an email hadn't been received, now we know before the customer does.

Mailgun review by <span>Akram Hasan S.</span>
Akram Hasan S.

"Intelligent API and advance Filtering"

What do you like best?

Unlike other transactional email service I had used. Mailgun has something their unique about their API access. API access documented very well while I am able to fetch almost everything on my account using API. I will say for API and webhooks Mailgun is unbeatable. Like API you can customize your email delivery, subscribe, unsubscribe, bounce, spam, open, click almost everything by their webhook service. Giving me the all access to my account, that's what Mailgun actually capable. On the other hand Mailgin is white labeled transactional email service. Allow you use your own domain for sending, tracking and filtering your email activities.

List management always been a struggle for email delivery, using Mailgun you can sort down inactive and invalid email addresses. That's a wonderful API feature they are offering.

Their logging system very useful too, you can see all header information of every single email sent or bounce. Very awake email tracking system they has for sure, all activity logging and filtering let you track down anything you want. Other service good as well, but API is the only reason I will vote for Mailgun. (y)

What do you dislike?

The only thing I didn't liked was I had to change my MX records. I know it might be something helpful they trying to serve yet it conflicts with our regular incoming emails. Even they has incoming emails alert, but I prefer no conflict on MX records.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are unknown about email delivery system but you want to get or send emails for your apps just using few lines of codes. You may need Mailgun for you.

Transactional email delivery for web app and cellphone apps. Actually their API helping the most, because I don't have to include any other dependency for email delivery.

Mailgun review by <span>Michael P.</span>
Michael P.

"Cheap, Effective, Valuable"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup, great docs, amazing cost and ease of implementation. The free 10,000 first email option is excellent and very competitive against other companies such as SendGrid.

What do you dislike?

When MailGun went down from an outage the other day we received no notifications whatsoever. One of our customers did not receive emails they were sending out of our app... Please integrate a better warning system for future events.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No recommendations. Just spend the time to reading the docs prior.

Notifications system for users that is cost effective. We have realized excellent customer happiness levels by having email notifications around common actions in our app.

Mailgun review by <span>Steve S.</span>
Steve S.

"Fantastic utility for tracking and auditing outbound server-generated email"

What do you like best?

The ability to log outgoing emails is invaluable. MailGun reduced my customer service load by 90%.

What do you dislike?

I cannot think of anything I dislike about MailGun in particular.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Laravel integration is dead-easy.

I originally used MailGun on a client backend for franchisees. Multiple times a day, franchisees would complain that their customers did not receive such-and-such email from the system. After I implemented MailGun, I was able to prove that the email was not only sent, but that it was opened and read by the customer. This reduced my franchisee-customer service load by 90%. Now I use it on all my sites.

Mailgun review by <span>Javier R.</span>
Javier R.

"Best transactional email service"

What do you like best?

We used to send emails throw classic SMTP servers, but we were losing a lot of clients because any traditional hosting company care about specific email configurations. Now, with Mailgun we are getting the best results ever, with almost 99 % of successful deliveries.

What do you dislike?

It's build for developers, so a bit of experience is needed in order to integrate it with your systems. After the integration, it's a hosted email delivery service, you don't need to care about anything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Email services can be a critical section for your business: from user validation to emergency alerts. Common SMTP servers (or on-premise SMTP servers) are not a solution since there are services like Mailgun, Sendgrid or Amazon SES. Consider pricing, monitoring options and support for integrations for better results.

Email validation, newsletters and notification system for several products and companies. Since we moved to Mailgun, all the problems we were having with other providers (mainly delivery errors) were solved.

Mailgun review by <span>Robbie H.</span>
Robbie H.

"Excellent for medium volume sending"

What do you like best?

Super simple to setup and deploy. No frills in the admin makes it very simple compared to other similar software out there. Has scaled up and down depending on my software needs.

What do you dislike?

Admin can be a bit confusing with the multiple accounts. Also lacks details compared to other SMTP type providers I've used. A few end users have reported issues which I am unable to trace via their logs.

Allows me to scale sending emails on an on demand basis. Sometimes I need to send 100k emails a month while others only a few thousand. Pricing works well for this.

Mailgun review by <span>Claudio T.</span>
Claudio T.

"The best email outsourcing service"

What do you like best?

We needed to outsource the SMTP service to avoid blacklisting on our server. Mailgun's platform has been extremely reliable for us, and the few times we needed their support they replied quickly and their answers were totally satisfactory. API documentation on their site is also really clear and we were able to deploy automated solutions relying on their infrastructure without asking for help. Pricing is also very affordable for what you get.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, we are thoroughly satisfied with their service.

We mainly needed an external email SMTP solution to avoid our main server being blacklisted when sending mass emails.

Mailgun review by <span>Erin A. P.</span>
Erin A. P.

"Get around MailChimp subscriber limits with Mailgun "

What do you like best?

We used Mailgun to send our email newsletter, because our list had grown beyond MailChimp's free limit. It is a reliable server to send bulk email with good results.

What do you dislike?

If you're not a developer, Mailgun can be confusing. But to be fair, it is billed as the mail service for developers, so be forewarned!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you aren't a developer, be ready for a slightly confusing process. I'd recommend having a developer write out a step-by-step if you are easily confused. This is not for the computer-shy.

We were able to continue sending our email newsletter to a large subscriber base, without having to pay for upgraded service through MailChimp.

Mailgun review by <span>Domenico T.</span>
Domenico T.

"Easy to get started with, paying as you go"

What do you like best?

The service is really vertical and offers a well balanced set of features.

The administration console will let you instantly review all the traffic generated by your websites and it is very intuitive.

What do you dislike?

I really liked mailgun, so it is not easy for me pointing out things I disliked about it.

Maybe the only limitation that disappointed me when testing out the service using the free quotas was the fact that data for Logs and the Events API were stored just for 2 days.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The free quotas are large enough to appreciate the service. If you need to enable advanced features (like email tracking) for some legacy system of yours that needs to use SMTP, you can send all the required extra parameters using MIME Headers.

My company maintains a lot of web applications that use batch email sending.

We needed a simple API that could be used by our developers and by our marketing people as well.

Mailgun review by <span>Luke A.</span>
Luke A.

"Mailgun is great!"

What do you like best?

I like the straight forward, value driven, utility style pricing and the great documentation.

What do you dislike?

As an esp I'd like to be able to send through our mass emails a bit faster, each message is altered for special tracking, so each is unique. This keeps us from using some of the other forms of delivery and the overall effect is that messages can sort of bottleneck at heavy sending periods.

We are helping local service based companies communicate more effectively by providing tools to the franchisors, agencies and associations that help them manage their communications.

Mailgun review by Consultant in Internet
Consultant in Internet

"Easy to integrate and feature-rich."

What do you like best?

Mailgun is very easy to integrate. They provide an API that you can utilize or you can use the tried-and-true method of sending your email through SMTP.

The interface they provide to manage your account is clean. All of the information you need to get started is readily available to you. Configuring your email domains to work with Mailgun is fairly easy as well if you're familiar with how to manage DNS records. They provide all of the information you need to adjust your DNS records to get Mailgun up and running for your domain. The interface even provides an easy-to-verify interface which will check your DNS records against what Mailgun recommends to ensure that everything is configured properly.

Mailgun provides tools to verify delivery of messages, to create and manage email lists, and to monitor bounces and spam reports, all from the account interface.

What do you dislike?

The price is a bit steep when compared to something like Amazon SES, but this isn't necessarily a drawback if you take into account what you get for what you pay. For smaller projects, having almost all of your app's email infrastructure managed for you is a godsend, but it can get expensive quickly, especially if you're not utilizing all of the features that Mailgun provides.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a feature-rich solution that's very easy to implement and that provides SMTP access for legacy use-cases, this is the solution you want.

We use Mailgun as our primary transactional email provider for our application. Mailgun solves to the problem of having to maintain email infrastructure manually which can cause headaches getting recipient domains to validate the messages that you send to their subscribers.

The benefits of using Mailgun are that once it's been setup, we walked away. Occasionally, we'll check the account dashboard to see if a particular address had bounced or was reported for spam, but for the most part it just works. We're forced to use their legacy SMTP access for now with our legacy product, but when the new version our application is rolled out, we'll be able to seamlessly transition from SMTP to the REST API with no extra configuration required. To utilize some of Mailgun's extra functionality will require modifying our application to take advantage of it, but Mailgun's primary responsibility--sending transactional email--literally requires no extra time to configure on our application's side other than including the library and instantiating it with our API credentials.

Using Mailgun saves us time, which saves us money in the long run.

Mailgun review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Good transactional email service"

What do you like best?

Their service is extremely reliable. I don't recall ever experiencing any downtime or outage with Mailgun. I can sit back and relax knowing that our emails are getting delivered in a timely fashion.

They provide webhooks for any and all events you are interested in. Their documentation is extensive and comprehensive.

On a somewhat related note, they have a great track record of sharing their knowledge with technical blog posts and open-sourcing their technology. As a developer, I greatly appreciate that and wish more companies would follow suit.

What do you dislike?

Some of their API integrations are not easy to work with and on one occasion, the API broke without prior notice. For example, we have a script that pulls down the list of unsubscribes but due to their pagination mechanism, we can't parallelize multiple requests to speed up the task.

Other than though, I don't have any substantial problems with their service or API.

We trust Mailgun to handle thousands of emails that are critical to our mission.

Mailgun review by <span>Juha P.</span>
Juha P.

"Great tool for sending transactional emails"

What do you like best?

Mailgun has a great API and it offers sending messages via curl commands or smtp connections. Easy to use, logical GUI, 10k free messages / month.

What do you dislike?

I'd like to see some alerts when email sending behaviour is different from what it used to be. When something on my site gets hacked and used for spam.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to start with, can scale up.

Transactional message delivery (logs, password request emails, customer order emails, small newsletter sendings). Messages pass-thru rate is a lot higher than sending via badly configured server without email sending reputation.

Mailgun review by <span>Nikolay G.</span>
Nikolay G.

"Good and Simple Service for email management"

What do you like best?

Simple and free service for managing emails. Easy to configure and start use it.

And it has a lot of features at the same time, like domain signing, tracking and creating mailing lists.

10.000 of free email more than enough for a small business.

Great API allows to setup a integration with your application.

What do you dislike?

There's no obvious place to preview emails in web interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's simple enough for most of the startups and small companies

I use this service for sending email notification to the users of my applications

Mailgun review by <span>Clément N.</span>
Clément N.

"Rock solid emailing tool"

What do you like best?

Mailgun is a strong and rock solid emailing company. I am using only for transactional for one of businesses. One of greatest feature is the API : easy to use, and pretty well documented, with many examples.

What do you dislike?

The dashbord may be pretty slow, but it's okay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to check the data visualization provided by the analytics. This is pretty great and interesting. Available in real-time.

Also, Mailgun provides now multi-users accounting.

Sending huge amount of transactional emails for a global cloud business.

Mailgun review by <span>Nedim B.</span>
Nedim B.

"Very good customer service"

What do you like best?

Customer service is great. If you need help, they are there to help you. They spend the extra effort to understand your situation and provide a personalized help.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, delivery rates decreases unexpectedly. There are a few things that needs to be changed on the reporting side. However, these are minor things compared to the overall service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest using Mailgun because they provide a good service as well as great customer support.

I don't need to worry about getting into blacklists. Mailgun handles email delivery for me.

Mailgun review by Administrator in Publishing
Administrator in Publishing

"Mailgun is one of the best transactional email systems"

What do you like best?

Mailgun was extremely easy to setup. We were up and running in a few minutes. Their setup guide made it very easy to implement

What do you dislike?

One important piece of information was not included in the setup guide. Had to learn about SPF records on my own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it and you will not be disappointed.

I have used a few other transactional email services and Mailgun is by far the best. It is very easy to use, first 10000 email are free and the Support is very good. We always had issues with being block by spam filters because somebody sharing our IP address was spamming. Since we moved to Mailgun, this has not happened. Their logs allow you to track exactly what happens with every email.

Mailgun review by <span>Lianmeng L.</span>
Lianmeng L.

"Easy and strong email service"

What do you like best?

1. easy to use for many programming languages

2. stable to send millions emails

3. good dashboard to track

4. webhook when receive email

5. support newsletter

6. email bounce

7. good support

What do you dislike?

document doesn't cover anything, sometimes you need send email to support to find some information, but they are fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, use it if you need email service. Even you can use free plan to test.

we need send million email notifications and newsletter to our customer, Mailgun is easy to solve this. We just simply use its api, that is it.

Mailgun review by <span>Ryan T.</span>
Ryan T.

"Awesome Email Platform"

What do you like best?

Mailgun is incredibly easy to use and provides super robust logs.

What do you dislike?

I have once been falsely flagged for spam because of another Mailgun user on the same IP as us. This was quite annoying, but was resolved fairly quickly by Mailgun support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it. It's the best.

Routing massive amounts of emails from an application is very easy with Mailgun. We've seen a reduction in dropped emails, spam flags, as well as a massive increase in our break-to-fix time due to Mailgun's logs.

Mailgun review by Executive Sponsor in Internet
Executive Sponsor in Internet

"Was great for us when we started; we've yet to outgrow it!"

What do you like best?

Getting up and running as a startup with very little traffic was very easy on Mailgun. The pricing was reasonable, their Heroku integration was pretty seamless, and every feature we've added so far has been well supported by their platform.

In terms of support and notifications, they did a good job of informing me when they added features to the product; when they improved their sandbox features I was able to start using it pretty easily. They also notified me about an issue with my DNS that could have caused me a lot of grief if I hadn't dealt with it. Big kudos for that!

I get the sense that we'll be using their service for a long time to come.

What do you dislike?

For various reasons, I've struggled with their link re-write features. Sometimes it's been on myself and my teammates, other times I felt like their tool fell short, but either way that feature stands out as one that has burned us a few times. Improvements around the UI and experience of that piece in general would have gone a long way to making me feel great about the product.

Their web UI feels pretty klunky and could use an update. Their reporting tools are pretty limited, I'd like to see more done there as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Their are other options; my choice to go with Mailgun was heavily influenced by my reliance on Heroku as a hosting platform. I'd recommend this tool to other Heroku apps without hesitation.

Sending and tracking receipt and conversion of transactional emails from our application.

Mailgun review by <span>Tyler L.</span>
Tyler L.

"A Breeze to Manage with a powerful API for serious flexibility"

What do you like best?

50,000 emails each month for free! I've never come close to that 50,000 number, and that's with at least 10 clients using my account to host their mailing lists.

What do you dislike?

The official WordPress plugin could use work. Features from the Mailgun subscribe plugin and Mailgun notify plugin need to be brought into the official plugin.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go ahead and try it out, you won't be disappointed and will likely have found your new email sending platform.

No need to create MailChimp accounts for all of my clients who have mailing lists. Essentially a custom Mailchimp if implemented the proper way.

Mailgun review by <span>Dwayne B.</span>
Dwayne B.

"Taking control of email service accounts"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to have individual email service accounts that are traceable and separate from one another and my Exchange server.

What do you dislike?

There was a small learning curve with initial setup however it is simple and flawless now!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have access to your domain's MX records to simplify setup.

We have so many different email service accounts - Mailgun gives us a single pane of glass to manage them all and takes the load off of my Exchange server..

Mailgun review by <span>Nathan S.</span>
Nathan S.

"Simple mail relay with informative interface to monitor activity/logs"

What do you like best?

It works. It handles a lot of our automated emails for our web sites. Removes the worry about needing to support in-house email fulfillment.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything that I dislike about the service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's included with Rackspace hosting with 50,000/emails/month. If you're sending more emails you will need to upgrade to their paid service.

Offloading email fulfillment.

Mailgun review by <span>Simon S.</span>
Simon S.

"Reliable service and great API"

What do you like best?

It is highly dependable and we have had no issues whatsoever during the past 12 months.

What do you dislike?

The reporting metrics can be a bit confusing and sometimes slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We have found it to be reliable and good value and it has all the features we need. We can relax knowing our email delivery is in safe expert hands

We use it to deliver email on behalf of our customers for our web application, EvantoDesk.

Mailgun review by User in Internet

"Worked fast, as expected, sending the e-mails even from a custom domain"

What do you like best?

Simplicity of Mailgun's API/Parse Module

What do you dislike?

Sometimes e-mails take a little bit of time to arrive - more than we wanted it to, and there is no way (at least, that I'm aware of) to know what is going on with the emails until they arrive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that the accounts in development mode (meaning, without having a domain validation) are different than if you validate your domain. Do it as soon as possible to feel what Mailgun really is like :)

Helping doctors and clinics to use better software. The email is for inviting other members to the clinic.

I needed a way to send, easily, e-mail from my service, and Mailgun is exactly what I need, working as expected.

Mailgun review by <span>Nelson S.</span>
Nelson S.

"Mailgun is easy to use"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use API to easily send emails from a custom application

What do you dislike?

Sandbox domains can be difficult to setup

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to prototype solutions to see if it works.

Real time email alerts from embedded applications using their API to send emails

Mailgun review by <span>Chris G.</span>
Chris G.

"Pew pew pew! Mail sent."

What do you like best?

Mailgun is my first transactional email provider and as such I was really surprised at how brilliant and easy it is. Enjoyed an easy implementation and great support when I hit a snag.

What do you dislike?

For the most part, nothing! Filters can be a little clunky to use at times but overall I have found support to be very helpful.

Transactional email for my startup!

Mailgun review by Executive Sponsor in Human Resources
Executive Sponsor in Human Resources

"It just works"

What do you like best?

It was quick to set-up Mailgun and adapt it as necessary including fixing the IP addresses. Our application (an enterprise survey application) sends thousands of emails to the whole of an organisation's employees and therefore we had issues with corporate spam-filters. Mailgun did a great job of helping us configure the system so this wasn't an issue

What do you dislike?

Nothing. The service does exactly what we need it to.

Our system is an employee feedback platform. We do considerable communication to client employees via email and the client need is for employees to receive the emails at the same time (often tens of thousands).

Mailgun review by <span>Corey c.</span>
Corey c.

"Mailgun handles everything beautifully"

What do you like best?

I've been using them for years. I've never had a problem. I love the high bar on the free tier. The web interface is slick and works well. The libraries for interacting with the API are easy and well documented.

What do you dislike?

I have no issues with the service at all.

I never have to configure/debug email on a server again. I always use Mailgun instead.

Mailgun review by <span>Siva K.</span>
Siva K.

"A excellent service that does what it needs to do"

What do you like best?

I never had an issue by sending the emails via the mailgun service. The have well documented API and with excellent webhooks functionality.

What do you dislike?

Mailgun is mainly focussed in transactional emails. It would be nice if features for sending promotional mails were also introduced on the platform.

Was able to successfully send transactional emails.

Mailgun review by <span>Elliot F.</span>
Elliot F.

"Excellent transactional mail service"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to use the service as a developer. The documentation is clear, and the ability to send email via API or SMTP has been useful in different scenarios.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing that I can really think of that I dislike.

Reliable email sending - not having to worry about hosting my own mail server, allocating resources, handling spam complaints etc.

Mailgun review by <span>Dang T.</span>
Dang T.

"Mailgun is the first choice for SMTP in all my web applications"

What do you like best?

- Easy to integrate and manage

- Good webhook

What do you dislike?

Time for storing log is short, i must use webhook to keep my own log

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're finding a SMTP service that should be cheap (have free plan to starup/small business), full of options, flexible, good support. I think Mailgun is your choice.

- Email sending is cheaper and safer now

- Tracking email (events) via Dashboard or webhook

Mailgun review by Consultant in Internet
Consultant in Internet

"Amazing service for an unbeatable price"

What do you like best?

It was extremely easy to integrate with their API and webhooks, providing a seamless transition for our application. We even were able to build an interface within our application that shows progress of larger email blasts and keep track of users that had invalid email addresses.

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't think of anything that I dislike about this service.

We don't have a high volume of email we send each month, but when we do send email it is in large batches. This was causing a lot of issues with deliverability; in came MailGun. The number of failed delivers decreased greatly!

Mailgun review by <span>Rodney T.</span>
Rodney T.

"engagement mail for learning application"

What do you like best?

Developer focus, API features, smart features, search, analytics, transactional mail support, quality of technical support when issues encountered

What do you dislike?

Nothing.................................

Recommendations to others considering the product

Our experience has been positive. Recommended.

Email notifications to students studying in our www.ob3.io web app, typically from discussions embedded within content pages. Ability for students and teachers to reply to messages. Application workflow (account activation, password reset, account invitation mails etc)

Mailgun review by <span>Canton B.</span>
Canton B.

"Superb developer-friendly affordable reliable email service"

What do you like best?

I like how Mailgun's API allowed me to test out how the service would work within minutes.

What do you dislike?

When using a shared IP, it sometimes gets polluted and I have to manually ask to be moved to a better IP.

I'm using mailgun to circumvent the expensive fees of using an ESP such as mailchimp for lists with more than 50,000 recipients.

Mailgun review by <span>Alex S.</span>
Alex S.

"Extremely reliable and dependable "

What do you like best?

Mailgun solves all my email sending problems. No one should have an email being sent directly from a server.

Best thing about it is the reporting and integration options with WordPress and custom built Django websites.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any issues with mailgun really.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the WordPress plugin

My clients know their website will always send an email.

Mailgun review by <span>Leonardo G.</span>
Leonardo G.

"Mailgun, an amazing journey! "

What do you like best?

Flexibility and Customer support. Robust and sooid system that never failed to deliver!

What do you dislike?

Random UI errors nothing important actually. Sometimes the dns validation failed but thanks to their AMAZING customer support it's just a matter of minutes to solve the problem

Flexibility of email redirection baked by mailgun. Rock solid email system that never failed!

Mailgun review by <span>Sebastián P.</span>
Sebastián P.

"Excellent tool for developers"

What do you like best?

Easy to use

Has an API ready to be used

A very good free tier

Among cheapest providers

What do you dislike?

I never had have a problem with their service, it has been always reliable for us and to our systems

We are solving transactional email from our web app as well as automating some newsletters

Mailgun review by <span>Justin P.</span>
Justin P.

"Mailgun review (small internet business)"

What do you like best?

Developer API is nicely documented and versatile

What do you dislike?

Logs going back further would sometimes be helpful

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn the API, its powerful

I need a high level of control over the content that I send, and the conditions under which I send it. Mailgun solves this for me in a way where popular services seemed lacking.

Mailgun review by <span>Chris D.</span>
Chris D.

"Mailgun has replaced the need for me to run my own mailserver"

What do you like best?

The easy to use API is excellent and setting up integration with a wordpress site is super quick.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far, it's all been a good experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go ahead. You won't regret it

Setting up and maintaining a mailserver is tricky and being able to rely on mailgun's solid service and support saves me time

Mailgun review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Robust and easy to use transactional email service"

What do you like best?

Mailgun has the right balance of tools and ease of use. I can set it up for a new site in about 5 minutes, and it's quickly become the only tool I use for reliable email delivery on client sites.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! Though I think it would be reasonable to provide fewer than 10k emails. Most small / medium sized businesses will never hit that monthly threshold and charging a small base fee would be preferable if the alternative is an unsustainable business model.

Reliable email delivery directly from server.

Mailgun review by <span>Mauricio R.</span>
Mauricio R.

"Works as desired"

What do you like best?

I've use it for a long time and have zero problems. Great service easy configuration.

What do you dislike?

Price is not the best, but for the service provided is a good trade off.

We handle many clients domains transactional email with mailgun, forwarding incoming email and sending through postfix smtp on our servers.

Mailgun review by <span>Lee T.</span>
Lee T.

"Reliable, secure inbound/outbound mail with superb integration, reports, tracking and affordable"

What do you like best?

Mailgun has been critical in providing a reliable email backend for grokdo.com, and other applications I've been involved in producing.

What do you dislike?

What is there to dislike. The Mailgun product and team have been amazing. I have happily recommended Mailgun to multiple parties

Inbound mail attachment routing, outbound transactional mail.

Mailgun review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Very positive experience over the last few years"

What do you like best?

The reliability and the logs have been the most powerful features.

What do you dislike?

The logs could still be more powerful. I don't like, for example, that I need a full email address when searching. A lot of searches I've done in the past have been for a domain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hotmail/MSN/Live email addresses have been a major issue (i.e. in terms of rejections), but this is probably on Microsoft's end.

We need to email clients and customers using reliable, non-blacklisted IPs and the service has done that well for us.

Mailgun review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Easy and Clear Email API"

What do you like best?

The ease of use of the API, it's clear and documented well. The logging in the application is great, it has helped us many times in development and in production to troubleshoot.

What do you dislike?

The receive mail API webhook was lacking in parsing some rtf emails, was worked around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the API, check out the domain level logging, it's extremely useful.

Sending emails on behalf of our users, ingesting emails and storing for our users. Much easier to setup, manage, and use than an actual SMTP server.

Mailgun review by User

"Mailgun Review"

What do you like best?

We use mailgun for our emails and it is very user friendly and easy to use. I enjoy their services and customer support.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything I've really disliked except for the ability to search for logs further than 30 days back.

We are using this to send all of our emails - it has been great. We can keep everyone on the same page and tracking is easy.

Mailgun review by <span>Opeyemi O.</span>
Opeyemi O.

"Great product, awesome service"

What do you like best?

Prompt and proper delivery of emails.

Email analytics

Good customer service.

What do you dislike?

So far, I haven't really seen anything I dont like about the service.

Our startup connects drivers with riders going their way. We use Mailgun to power necessary notifications to users on the platform.

Mailgun review by Administrator

"Great service for small to large business"

What do you like best?

Routers! The are awesome! Also their open source templates for mailing. We tried to use it for transactional emailing but we needed to fallback to a different service due to IP reputation issues.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes support is a bit poor. I'd love more statistics and some information about reputation of the IP being used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just start writing your code to talk to their api. The docs are great.

We use routers to route under dynamic rules thousands of mails every hour. It works like magic!

Mailgun review by Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Mailgun is great for App Developers"

What do you like best?

Easy to configure and integrate into Wordpress

What do you dislike?

Free IP's frequently get greylisted or blocked by corporate mail filters

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try with one or two domains first, if you get lucky your IP will be clean and whitelisted and you will not need to upgrade. 10,000 free is more than enough for most small business users.

Good dedicated IP for sendability and troubleshooting delivery problems. We like having authenticated SMTP access and also API access should we choose to automate our sending.

Mailgun review by <span>Joseph P.</span>
Joseph P.

"Reliable, highly configurable and cost-effective"

What do you like best?

Real-time visibility into mail processing is a huge time-saver when triaging mail issues.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike. The switch to requiring verification was a little bit difficult to manage across a larger number of domains.

Mailgun provides great options for complicated mail routing.

Mailgun review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Excellent API and user dashboard."

What do you like best?

The Mailgun service is very easy to set up, in part, thanks to great documentation. The API is very complete and again, the great documentation helps so much. The User dashboard tells you everything you need to know about all mail transactions. Can't fault it.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. I've used this product for a few months and have not found any issues as of yet.

Sending bulk emails from a PHP application.

Mailgun review by <span>Jorge A.</span>
Jorge A.

"De los mejores sistemas para envio de correos"

What do you like best?

Lo que mas me gusta es que se puede validar correos si existen o no via API

What do you dislike?

Nada no hay nada de lo que pueda arrepentirme

Estoy resolviendo el envio de correos de un sistema de encuestas

Mailgun review by <span>Yanick L.</span>
Yanick L.

"Removed hassle of SMTP configuration, spam management and works in China"

What do you like best?

The fact that it is really a responsible citizen in the middle. I used the API to connect it through our system. With our test, no spam was generated and it was working on our servers within China, which is not the case for all competitors.

What do you dislike?

Even though it works in China, there could be Chinese mirrors to make it faster.

We simply had to send custom confirmation emails connected to our system.

Mailgun review by <span>Vamsi M.</span>
Vamsi M.

"Good for a start"

What do you like best?

Mailgun is great to get off the ground and get started

What do you dislike?

compared to mailchimp its difficult to build online reputation for spam mail avoidance.

external mail campaigns, mail stats and feedbacks

Mailgun review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Used for multiple projects"

What do you like best?

Integration was simple. Monitoring and interface is clean.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really at this point. Still enjoy the features and the site.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you understand the pricing models.

Needed to have a means to send emails that wouldn't be struck down and trapped in a spam folder.

Mailgun review by <span>Itai R.</span>
Itai R.

"Working with Mailgun API to Validate email addresses (both single or separated by a comma) "

What do you like best?

Easy to use, fast, Json responses. "did you mean" results were also a cool feature.

What do you dislike?

On their website they could have added some more code to faster jump start.

Code was for basic functionality - only to validate a single email address.

I would add some code examples on how to validate a comma separated email strings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's working great once you set it up, so if you need it, keep trying. it works.

I had to validate email address on a web site i am working on.

Plenty of ways to do so, with Jquery, and with regex, but with mailgun it was the easiest to also validate comma separated email addresses.

Mailgun review by <span>Lucas R.</span>
Lucas R.

"Mailgun was a helpful and quick to add resource to our app"

What do you like best?

The small amount of time needed to configure.

What do you dislike?

The delay for the sandbox to be ready for the initial account.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A good choice. No complains.

Task management. Better response from users.