MAMP

MAMP installs a local server environment in a matter of seconds on your Mac OS X computer, be it MacBook or iMac.

Work for MAMP?

Learning about MAMP?

MAMP Reviews

Showing 28 MAMP reviews
MAMP review by <span>Richard M.</span>
Richard M.

"Well Written Web Development Stack"

What do you like best?

The are a lot of environments you can set up from this one app. You can choose Apache or Nginx for your server, many different versions of PHP, PHP accelerators and it does a fairly good job controlling your hosts file. You can even preinstall a nice selection of common web platforms from WordPress to Magento and Drupal.

What do you dislike?

You can run into difficulties with competing versions of PHP, Perl or Ruby on your local machine via the command line and it may require some voodoo to get things straight. As with all of these stack apps, DNS cache can make some installations balky unless you clear DNS cache which can be different for different versions of Mac OS. None of this is a crisis and can be solved easily with a look around Stack Exchange. Also, there aren't nearly as many different packages for easy install as AMPPS for example.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For Mac, MAMP Pro is very solid. AMPPS is free, though, and can pretty much be horsed into doing much of what MAMP can do. If you are just playing with this kind of thing, try AMPPS first and see if it is something you'll be spending a lot of time on. I like MAMP for its thoroughness and can make it do what I need it to although I wish I didn't have to know so much command line stuff to make it play nicely with the Mac's own versions of PHP, etc.

This is my go to for getting sites to beta stage. I have also used MAMP to migrate large data sets from obsolete CMS's to something like Drupal or WordPress. I like that you can change the PHP versions easily so you can closely mimmic your web host. One especially difficult thing I work with is testing Drupal and getting it to behave with Drupal Commerce. This can take a lot of command line coupled with playing with code. Likewise, I have been testing Magento's latest offerings and getting used to the much more command line driven approach it has.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about MAMP
MAMP review by User in Design
User in Design

"So easy to get a local server up and running"

What do you like best?

The simple interface makes getting a server up and running so simple. A click of a button gets your Apache and MySQL servers running, and then you've got a folder where all your 'sites' can live. Everything is customizable, so if you're more familiar with server stuff, then you can set it up however you like. But if you're not, MAMP make it really easy to get your site up and running locally.

What do you dislike?

It's an extra app to have loaded on your machine. There's not much to dislike, it's a simple product that does what it's supposed to really well. I'm sure if you're more server-savvy, then this might be a bit basic, but for us front-end devs, it's pretty sweet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this if you're not super comfortable with servers in general. Really easy to set up and use, and if you are more server-savvy, all of the settings are customizable, just like any other type of server.

I use MAMP daily. All my sites in development run on it, as well as any sites that are getting updated. Simple, easy to use, would recommend for simpler sites.

What Other IT Infrastructure solution do you use?

MAMP review by <span>Luke D.</span>
Luke D.

"Straight forward and productive"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to get sites up and running with access to a MySQL database and a PHP dashboard.

The software allows you to specify where your websites are located. You can easily drop WAR files into the source location and they will automatically be unpacked and displayed. I also enjoyed the MySQL database and functionality. The setup is so fast and easy to get running that there is little to no reason why you would choose anything else.

What do you dislike?

The startup web page could use a little work to bring it up to the modern look of the rest of the application. For as elegant and well designed the rest of the application is designed, you would think that the main website that lists all of your resources would be designed a little better. It looks as plain as the simple version that ships with Apache.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It helps to have a basic understanding of all the technologies that are brought together by MAMP. You should be capable of running SQL queries and commands, but the PHP Admin console provided will automatically script them for you if you don't have any experience with that. MAMP also allows you to specify the location of your sites folder in case you already have one set up.

I can easily deploy multiple Wordpress website versions and spin up different databases that can be exported easily

MAMP review by <span>Tim C.</span>
Tim C.

"MAMP is incredibly useful for working locally."

What do you like best?

I like how fast and easy MAMP is to use. It makes developing database websites a quick and fairly painless process. You simply open the application and you're good to go.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything I dislike about MAMP. If I had to pick something I would probably say it can be a little difficult to understand the file locations if you're looking to customize any of the PHP or Apache settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a quick and easy solution for local development that requires MySQL and Apache, then MAMP is definitely a good choice. It will require some research if you need to change any of your custom PHP.ini settings.

I use MAMP for local development. It makes it very easy to develop locally. I like the fact that I do not have to wait for files to upload to the server to see the changes I've made.

MAMP review by <span>Christopher H.</span>
Christopher H.

"Easy server management for dev or production"

What do you like best?

I've used MAMP pro in two distinct ways... 1) to start my development servers on my dev machine and 2) to run a home server and host multiple websites. MAMP handled both perfectly. Setup is simple and all you need to do is check a few boxes to get a server up-and-running. There's no other solution for getting a Mac server up and running quicker. Especially if you don't want to mess around with the native APACHE setups.

What do you dislike?

You are not allowed to setup a wildcard alias on a domain name. This is my largest gripe about the software. Sometimes it's useful to be able to setup a single host and just point all traffic no matter the subdomain to it. MAMP will not allow that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you get MAMP Pro setup point your directory to a better one than the default within it's application folder. Much better to manage when the folder is simpler to find and similar to a server setup.

MAMP solves the need for multiple developers to get a development environment setup quickly and also manage that environment easily.

MAMP review by <span>Ethan S.</span>
Ethan S.

"Hassle-free local stack!"

What do you like best?

MAMP was my best friend when I initially began developing Wordpress sites locally, and it's still my go-to for simple WP projects. It couldn't be easier to use (open the app and you're good to go!), and there's great documentation readily available online when I need to tweak settings. What do I like best? 1) That I don't even have to think about it. 2) That it useful tools like phpmyadmin really easy to find and use.

What do you dislike?

I use Virtualbox and Vagrant for larger and non-WP projects where I need more flexibility and control. With the simplicity that makes it great come limitations when demands are more complex.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for simple development needs!

MAMP makes it possible for me to focus on design and development without spending a lot of time setting up local environments for my projects. Over the six or seven years I've been using it, I've probably saved dozens (if not hundreds) of hours compared to the time I'd have spent setting up *AMP stacks using other solutions.

Learning about MAMP?

* We monitor all MAMP reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.