Maptitude

Maptitude Geographic Information System (GIS) software gives you the tools, maps, and demographic data you need to analyze and understand how geography affects you and your business.

Work for Maptitude?

Learning about Maptitude?

Maptitude Reviews

Ask Maptitude a Question
Showing 93 Maptitude reviews
Maptitude review by <span>Brian N.</span>
Brian N.

"Maptitude - Easy to Use and Powerful!"

What do you like best?

As a former MapInfo user, I like the ease of use of this product. It is much easier to do many things in Maptitude compared to tools like MapInfo, but there is plenty of power. Adding aerial maps is simple and the layer controls are easy as well. The price is also affordable.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much to dislike about Maptitude. I have been using it for about five years and I think the only thing that I find a challenge is how to remove old versions without removing data. As a result, I have left some of the old versions installed as the one time I did try to remove a previous version it took all the data with it and I had to restore it.

We use this tool to look at consumer research calling areas, map store locations, analyze demographics and determine trading areas.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Maptitude
Maptitude review by <span>ronald s.</span>
ronald s.

"Create the best map and presentation designs in the easiest way."

What do you like best?

What I like most about this software are the spatial analysis tools. In addition to having good technical assistance to download cartographic information of the country you need.

What do you dislike?

The only problem we got in the company was the installation of the program, since it was very difficult for us. On the other hand I think that the part should better design the graphics. It would also be important to develop it under the free software environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The program is totally recommended, it is very easy to make the maps, due to the great variety of design tools and spatial analysis.

The best thing about this program is that its source code can be edited and modified, unlike other software, if I can adapt it to my needs.

What GIS solution do you use?

Maptitude review by <span>Andrew K.</span>
Andrew K.

"Maptitude is an essential tool"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, free US and world data, an exhaustive library of features, ability to automate tasks using GISDK, ease of training new users, amazing tech support, robustness and well thought-out user interface.

What do you dislike?

After running a set up with a fresh build or version, often the new install will have a hard time using the data installed with the previous version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maptitude is a feature-rich, easy to use GIS tool that performs well throughout the project cycle, i.e. from data preparation to analysis and reporting. Production of standard maps is easily automated if needed, and the software offers a huge library of data and functions to support complex map generation. In my opinion Maptitude should be installed on everyone's computer, just like word processing or spreadsheet software. It really is that good.

We use Maptitude to generate massive amounts of maps each month for inclusion in reports. Nearly every single type of project we do benefits from Maptitude - it is our main tool for spatial data review and cleanup. For example, we use it to pre-process GTFS data for use in transit surveys and to analyze boarding and alighting data. In my earlier practice as transportation engineer, I used Maptitude to quickly estimate direction distribution of background trips for traffic impact studies of all sizes. I also used it to prepare and store land use and transportation system data for travel demand models. I consider Maptitude an essential tool in my transportation planning practice.

Maptitude review by <span>Louis S.</span>
Louis S.

"Everything one needs in a basic GIS system"

What do you like best?

Maptitude is a very versatile GIS system which is able to produce a wide variety of Maps economically.

What do you dislike?

The documentation for Maptitude could be better. The user guides and videos seem to be fairly basic and give examples of how to use only the most rudimentary functionality of the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent GIS demographic system. The system appears to be very versatile, almost too much so in that some knowledge of databases/data structure is helpful to truly utilize the system. The typical business person in the street will find this software somewhat challenging. Documentation IMHO is light but online support is very responsive and good. Based upon my limited experience so far one should expect to have to dig on your own/ask questions to get what one needs.

Maptitude is critical for providing information in commercial real estate location selection.

Maptitude review by <span>Richard H.</span>
Richard H.

"Maptitude - GIS for the rest of us"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, unlimited number of columns for attribute data (256 in most), excellent mapping done almost automatically or at any level of interaction you want, intuitive interface that remains that way when you come back to it maybe weeks later, lots of data at no extra cost, versions for several countries in the world, output an adjacency matrix which is needed for spatial statistics, spatial interpolation and overlay - estimating attributes of one geography from the known attributes of another (overlay zip codes with census tracts to estimate census variables in a zip code), buffering point, lines or polygons (and then doing spatial overlay), surface analysis, regression analysis (limited but you can export data to stat packages easily, map librarian which helps keep your maps organized, easily connect attribute data to a map, routing and drive time rings, integration with Google Maps. I have never tried to do anything I can do in other GISs that I cannot do in Maptitude - often not the other way around. Good export capability for use in other software. Excellent PDF manual, excellent tech support, videos for teaching yourself. Prince is less than half of other vendors.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see more comprehensive statistical capabilities, spatial regression not just least squares simple multivariate regression. Likely more useful would be more descriptive statistics, better graphics support for charts that look better, but Maptitude is after all a GIS package - it cannot do everything. It is easy to export to SAS, R or Stata, Excel. It would be useful to have more raster GIS capability but I use GRASS for that and I can combine the data, analysis results pretty easily. That said, even if Caliper added more raster analysis (map algebra, spatial modeling with pixels, etc.) I'd have to go back to GRASS to do the heavy lifting and the same for spatial regression. ArcGIS has ostensibly more of this capability through expensive add-ons but I do not like the algorithms they use. I would like to see the scripting language changed to Python which has a lot of capability that the current one does not. But ... frankly I seldom need it. I do have to do a lot of programming for SAS and R. I can without hesitation say that there is nothing about Maptitude that drives me nuts or causes me any grief. I definitely cannot say that for the other GIS packages that I have worked with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The learning curve is less steep by far compared to other GIS, but it is not flat! Take some time to really get a through introduction. The manual has lots of "One Minute" exercises which get you a very long ways. There are videos which are very good. This has made teaching GIS much easier fo me and is a big time saver. You have to lean the basic operations thoroughly to get the most benefit. However Maptitude can be used at different levels. If you need to make simple maps, mostly thematic maps, then it is very simple. If you need to really complicated stuff- you can get as immersed as necessary.

Spatial analysis of disease clusters. Mapping flight path coverage of emergency helicopters. Environmental justice: relationship of disease and causes of death to environmental hazards, toxic waste, power lines, road traffic noise and pollution to health status, Disease incidence (Bayesian regression modeling). A LOT of presentation mapping of health and demographic data for use by policy makers in government. There are two types of maps I make: 1) analysis maps. I do not care very much what they look like; I need the information for statistical modeling. 2) Presentation maps for legislators, publications, meetings with local health departments and citizens. A map will communicate and stimulate more discussion from everyone who is a stake holder in an issue more than charts and graphs and other clever visualizations. I teach GIS for use in public health. I can get students working on real problems in a couple hours with Maptitude. Other software usually requires several days to get up to speed to actually work a problem.

Maptitude review by <span>John C.</span>
John C.

"Location Analytics - Coatings"

What do you like best?

Maptitude is incredibly user-friendly. It can be very intimidating to use a new geospatial tool without formal training. With Maptitude, I started with no training and quickly became the in-house expert at my company.

What do you dislike?

The number of files created for each layer can cause a lot of cluster in file directories and sometimes previous maps may not work correctly if any of those files were misplaced or deleted on accident.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anyone with a quantitative background can quickly master Maptitude and enhance their analyses. There is no need for prior geospatial training. Stop considering and adjust your Maptitude!

What business problems aren't we solving with Maptitude? We are locating new stores, optimizing existing footprints and quantifying local market opportunities. I learn something new every time I open Maptitude and it certainly has become the got to tool for our geospatial analytics.

Learning about Maptitude?

* We monitor all Maptitude reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.