MariaDB

MariaDB is a high performance, open source database that helps the world's busiest websites deliver more content, faster.

Work for MariaDB?

Learning about MariaDB?

MariaDB Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 89 MariaDB reviews
MariaDB review by <span>Roderick Y.</span>
Roderick Y.

"Just like MySQL but guaranteed to be open-source"

What do you like best?

The biggest difference between these two databases is that MariaDB is open-source. Virtually everything else is identical, although once Oracle (the owner of MySQL) changes the way metadata is stored in the upcoming MySQL 8, that may change. However, until then, if you are a supporter of open source projects, MariaDB is the way to go.

What do you dislike?

The regular complaints about open source projects are lack of support and lack of documentation. I have not experienced that there is a significant problem with this, but there is certainly a lack of personal support provided by the MariaDB Foundation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MariaDB is a solid, robust database which uses identical commands and infrastructure as compared to MySQL. If you are a MySQL user, MariaDB has the added advantage of being open source, and being committed to being so into the foreseeable future.

I am using MariaDB as the main database for a private college, and primarily I can offer to the organization that we will have a robust database into the foreseeable future without any overhead.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about MariaDB
MariaDB review by <span>Pablo L.</span>
Pablo L.

"Liviana y rapida pero no es para todo el mundo"

What do you like best?

Lo que me parece mas interesante es que es una base de datos muy compacta y realmente sirve para trabajar con escasos recursos . No es dificil de instalar y de verdad que se adapta a cualquier dispositivo que la encesite.

What do you dislike?

Dentro de lo que considero que deberia procesar pues tiene sus fallos ya que no es tan secillo para trabajar como un SQL server o el mismo toad , de verdad que debes manejar muy bien la tematica informatica si quieres meterte con este manejador. Ademas de que la informacion es escasa para el momento de una consulta o aguna referencia. Otro problerma que observe fue que cuando se trata de volumenes grandes de datos la base de datos pierde mucho sus prestaciones , y tiene algunos detalles con tipo de datos timestamp , los cuales el software que usamos los necesita

Recommendations to others considering the product

traten de recabar la mayor cantidad de informacion posible sobre los posibles escenarios de instalacion y resolucion de problemas para que asi cuenten con suficiente material de respaldo

Resolvimos problemas de almacenamiento con en dispositivos muy antiguos , considero que en este aspecto vale la pena la forma de trabjar ya que solventa un problema grave con respecto a los dispositivo de vieja data.

What Relational Databases solution do you use?

MariaDB review by <span>Alan I.</span>
Alan I.

"Good DB , not very easy to understand"

What do you like best?

What i do like of MariaDB was how lite the db is , and how fast can work with aplicactions . For apps that need to store data but not for long it is a real good DB.

What do you dislike?

What i did not like how difficult is to config and how hard is to find documentation to learn how to use it . Also is not open by any manager , this cuold be trouble in workplaces where have tools in a especific way

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for mobile enviorment , maybe web apps for a intranet , if you are thinking in use it in a more open enviorment , such as post to website o a intranet apps think twice the size of the data that is going to be process

More than business problems , it gave us a new look of lite versions of DB , normally we use regular Data Bases but , some of our software send us a new version and came with this type of Data base , so we try to look the beneficit and see how works with our other tools.

MariaDB review by <span>Toby C.</span>
Toby C.

"MariaDB for me!!"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that MariaDB is uses the same commands and syntax as MySql and is faster. The ease of use is awesome. There is no learning curve if you are coming from MySql or sqlite. The ability to migrate over from MySQL with ease was a major factor in switching. Everyone in my company that was able to use MySQL and SQLite are able to use MariaDB with no downtime in order to learn a new system.

What do you dislike?

There is not anything I have found that I dislike about MariaDB. It is very easy to use and lightening fast, MariaDB is also free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will not be dissappointed

I am solving business problems with data storage and have realized the speed over other databases out there. The query speed is much faster than using MySQL. The best part is if your company is using MySQL or SQLite, it will be a seemless migration to MariaDB.

MariaDB review by <span>Gustavo V.</span>
Gustavo V.

"Why MariaDB"

What do you like best?

MariaDB has inherited one of the features of MySQL I liked most: speed. I have tested both MariaDB and PostgreSQL and I have always found MariaDB to be faster. Besides it it has a very complete featureset for a relational database.

What do you dislike?

Even with the pass of time and even the fork that sprang MariaDB from MySQL, I have not witnessed substancial advancements in the replication scheme of this database.

Concurrent operations might cause trouble in MariaDB, because at this time, concurrency it is not well handled by this RDBMS.

Full Text search might be another area where you can find MariaDB short suport.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MariaDB is definitely one of the best options you have when developing web application, due to its simplicity and speed. However, there are another issues that have to be considered, specially if the web site has a lot of traffic, like concurrency, because in this area MariaDB is still not performing very well and you might get a bottleneck in your apps.

Our website is a data driven web site, since most of it contents are loaded through templates and data that is read dinamically from a MariaDB databases. That let us make changes to the content of the website very fast and above all, the person in charge of doing this changes is not required to be a web developer. We also use MariaDB for other internal web apps.

MariaDB review by <span>Matt F.</span>
Matt F.

"More stable drop-in replacement for MySQL"

What do you like best?

I like best that this is Open Source software that was created by a group that originally developed MySQL.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike. This project is managed well and the software is very stable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, it won't cost you anything to test it out, and it is a drop-in replacement for MySQL.

We switched to MariaDB due to performance and stability issues with MySQL starting in version 5.5. We were experiencing query locks that didn't happen under older versions of MySQL, and once we switched we learned about the great additional features that MariaDB has, like the Aria engine and the client features that show query progress.

MariaDB review by <span>Scott K.</span>
Scott K.

"MySQL server flavor MariaDB"

What do you like best?

For the most part, MariaDB is a binary drop in replacement for MySQL where you should be able to just fire up MariaDB from standard MySQL database already in production. You'll want to reference their site for any changes to be aware of (as there's even configuration settings and syntax differences between versions), but in general if you're running somewhat of a modern version of MySQL (5.1+), MariaDB 10.x (based on MySQL 5.6+), you shouldn't experience any problems after mysql upgrading the system tables.

In comparison to standard MySQL, there's a number of improvements (Percona also has many of the same and is very good too), including but not limited to:

- several other storage engines can be used

- significant speed improvements such as subqueries and joins with the optimizer

- faster and safer replication

- parallel replication

- innodb specific tunings (mostly related for speed)

- indexes for the memory(heap) engine considerably faster

- thread pools as of mariadb 5.1, even better in 5.5+

- gtid and multi-source replication

- fulltext searching support with InnoDB!

- table elimination

- microseconds implementation

- much better user stats and progress reporting when altering tables, loading data from infile, etc.

- truly open source!

What do you dislike?

I can't say there isn't anything that I really dislike about MariaDB. In the newer versions, InnoDB supports fulltext searching (implemented as of MySQL 5.6) which makes converting table engines lucrative to avoid table locks for the most part that couldn't be done before since FULLTEXT was strictly MyISAM. They can still happen in certain cases, although will generally release pretty fast depending on the queries, system resources and the amount of load the system is under.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The amount of improvements / features MariaDB has only enhances standard MySQL to be better and is practically a drop-in replacement over standard MySQL.

I would highly recommend giving it a try if you're looking for performance increases and enhancements/features that are available.

Improved speed with queries, replication, the ability to convert MyISAM tables to InnoDB now that it supports FULLTEXT searching and eliminates table locks that MyISAM would impose based on how the storage engine works (table based locking with MyISAM vs row based locking with InnoDB).

The progress reporting via the MySQL CLI is rather useful for knowing the percentage amount done from an executed command, along with indicating how long it will take (per stage).

MariaDB review by Administrator

"No sólo un Fork de MySQL"

What do you like best?

MariaDB is a great database management system, its perfect compatibility with MySQL allows you to migrate from one system to another without problems, since it has the same commands, interfaces, APIs and libraries, making it easier to change a type of server for another.

The two storage engines Aria and XtraDB replace with great advantage the previous MyISAM and InnoDB.

It presents improvements in the speed with respect to MySQL when making complex queries, since it caches data in temporary tables, which supposes a great and fast performance in front of the use of the hard disk.

What do you dislike?

I do not see any bad thing in MariaDB, maybe I would put it as the biggest problem not being able to live the 2 systems together in the same server MariaDB and MySQL, otherwise it is the future of the databases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

After the lace of Oracle to MySQL, MariaDB is our salvation, thanks to your 100% compatibility with MySQL it allows a clean migration without incidents of our systems, without any cost of time or money, very important in the times that we move .

Not to mention talking about the great community that is being generated behind it and that supports it, for my humble opinion MariDB is going in the right direction.

We have optimized a large part of our databases with MariaDB, reducing the search time in complex queries, with great performance and great stability of our systems.

No cost, no time or money, for our business because of the compatibility it has with MySQL.

MariaDB review by <span>Daljeet S.</span>
Daljeet S.

"Maria DB Best for Compression and very fast"

What do you like best?

High availability, scalable, performance enhancement.

Yes, Maria provides amazing performance for my database. My ads campaign data bumps in here and Maria DB makes my read and insertion faster.

Yes, i will highly recommend Maria DB to others, we should use 10.x version of maria db , as it comes with tokudb compression out of the box.

Which helps us in compression also. as Toku compress and saves our hard disk space, which sometimes are costly. and its high availabiluty makes this better

What do you dislike?

There is no reason as of now to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Add server data is stored in Mysql with Maria DB.

Benefits are fast access . And its community support is also very good.

MariaDB review by <span>Diana P.</span>
Diana P.

"MariaDB review"

What do you like best?

I like MariaDB because the size of my databases is low and I can use it for mobile applications. It works very fine with mobile apps and I don’t have to store a huge data amount.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like MariaDB because is hard to set up a database or a table and there is no documentation for it, I found only tutorials on YouTube. It’s not compatible with any sql tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you to use it only for mobile applications. It was built for mobile development.

I used MariaDB to update our old databases. We got a new interface and new functions .We can run queries much faster and we solved the problem with the huge size of exported sql data.

MariaDB review by <span>Tyler V.</span>
Tyler V.

"Great standard database"

What do you like best?

I like the vast amount of tools that are available to developers, such as phpMyAdmin. It's also supported by most CMS, like WordPress.

What do you dislike?

Mainly at first, I very much disliked having to learn SQL.

We have converted our old static website into a dynamic one. This has allowed us to drastically reduce the amount of mass manual editing that happens to separate HTML pages with common structures (i.e.: header, footer, etc.).

MariaDB review by <span>Edward L.</span>
Edward L.

"Drop in replacement for MySQL"

What do you like best?

I love that it is a drop in replacement for MySQL. Super easy to manage and find information about online because they kept it so close to the original.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had a little more popularity. It is the default in CentOS 7 but it isn't in Debian 8. Because it is interchangeable with MySQL this isn't really a big deal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a drop in replacement for MySQL so updating your application to use it instead should be almost trivial. Almost all tutorials and documentation available for MySQL will apply to MariaDB as well.

Being a drop in replacement for MySQL allowed us to switch to CentOS 7 with ease. Updating to CentOS 7 let us use more up to date software across our stack. Using MariaDB is dead simple because of the history with MySQL. Tutorials for anything that needs to be done is just a search away. Easy implementation and no additional training.

MariaDB review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Open-Source RDBMS, but almost gives you an Enterprise Performance"

What do you like best?

You have everything that you need in order to have a very well performance.

What do you dislike?

Some bugs, that hits and basically give us some issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is from my personal experience, if you are using MySQL Database Server, that is limiting you to tweak and perform a performance tuning and optimization, then this is the time for you to maximize everything and to have you a very well promising performance, by tweaking and tuning your database to the highest maximum limit. So, what you are waiting for, try and make a development testing or POC for your company to switch using this MySQL like Database Server,

Basically, a lot of different business, I'm solving and solved using this, so basically or mostly E commerce. As I've mentioned you have same like an enterprise MySQL server.

MariaDB review by <span>Mike G.</span>
Mike G.

"MariaDB Works"

What do you like best?

MariaDB is easy to install, maintain, and is high performing.

What do you dislike?

MariaDB can be a little tricky to connect a lower-privileged User to the Navicat IDE across a network. That said, with a little “googling” one can quickly learn how to do it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend MariaDB as a database.

MariaDB is my go-to database of choice for my web applications and desktop applications. Leveraging PHP and PDO, MariaDB works very well to support the data requirements.

MariaDB review by <span>Juan Antonio M.</span>
Juan Antonio M.

"Excelente base de datos para trabajar con mysql"

What do you like best?

Me gusta mucho su interfaz es muy amigable y desde php my admin te permite hacer de todo lo necesario para administrar todo lo referente al almacenamiento.

What do you dislike?

Que al poner los distitos servidores de bbdd podamos agrupar estas y que sea más fácilmente de ver.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es la mejor opocion para mysql

todo lo referente al almacenamiento y la gestion de los datos de pequeños portales web, es muy sencilo el uso la exportación y demás. Para un usuario poco experto tambien es sencillo realizar querys y acceder a los datos en bruto de una manera amigable, es muy recomendable esta aplicacion. Buena.

MariaDB review by <span>Thanh P.</span>
Thanh P.

"MySQL Open source - Develop by community"

What do you like best?

Relation Database Management System

Forked version of MySQL (From MySQL 5.5). Now latest version of MariaDB is 10.2

Compatibility with code for MySQL, so developer doesn't need change anything when switch to MariaDB

Increase performance on version 10

Integrate and has driver with PHP5, PHP7

What do you dislike?

Need improve speed at startup, indexing and querying.

Implement cache for query better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use mariadb instead of mysql

Relation Database Management System

Develop by community

Compatibility with old code for MySQL

Easy for study

"MariaDB "

What do you like best?

MariaDB is essentially the same as MySQL, except it is community managed. Having said that, MariaDB is great to work with and it’s security is sufficient for our purposes.

What do you dislike?

As it is community managed, MariaDB (unfortunately) receives less updates compared to MySQL. Also, it is not the easiest software to get set up and secured for a production environment (whitelist-only connections to the database, etc.).

MariaDB, being so popular, makes it easy to integrate with applications. Also, most software available that requires a database connection supports MariaDB (ie. application support is superb compared to something like Microsoft SQL).

MariaDB review by <span>Antti Viljami K.</span>
Antti Viljami K.

"Leave MySQL-server for MariaDB right now!"

What do you like best?

MariaDB 10.0 was a complete drop-in replacement for MySQL server. No hassle in setup. Since switching to it, Everything just works as excpected, and faster, lighter, better than plain old MySQL.

We are very much looking forward to moving on to MariaDB 10.1 for some new features.

What do you dislike?

Not much at all to dislike here.

Would like to have master-master replication for other Storage engines than InnoDB as well. MyISAM works, but causes issues due to not replicating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're migrating from MySQL-server, consider MariaDB 10.0 first, since it's a complete drop-in replacement. MariaDB 10.1 contains some improvements MySQL doesn't, and thus cannot be quite considered a drop-in replacement.

MariaDB Galera SQL Cluster in a large scale. Master-master replication works beautifully and without errors. We are rapidly scaling our MariaDB Galera clusters, and everything is working smoothly.

MariaDB review by <span>Quim J.</span>
Quim J.

"Buena herramienta de base de datos"

What do you like best?

La mejor parte de MariaDB es el soporte para múltiples motores de base de datos sin requerir licencias por separado. Impresionado por la funcionalidad proporcionada por InnoDB y TokuDB

What do you dislike?

La falta de una herramienta de GUI para realizar tareas básicas de administración, como la programación de trabajos, copias de seguridad, configuración de replicación, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ninguna

Estamos usando MariaDB para datos altamente transaccionales que cambian con frecuencia. También usamos MariaDB para archivar y eliminar datos de tablas agresivamente para mantenerlos más pequeños, lo que a su vez hace que la manipulación y recuperación de datos sea más rápida.

MariaDB review by <span>Claudia C.</span>
Claudia C.

"MariaDB"

What do you like best?

Lo mejor del gestor de base de datos es que tiene las facilidades y ventajas que otra de pago ya que derivaba de MySQL, pero en cambio, esta es una opción gratuita.

What do you dislike?

Apenas tiene cosas que no me gusten pero si tuviera que decidir una sería el hecho de tener que desinstalar MySQL e instalar MariaDb, pero de todas formas, la migración es sencilla.

Mi equipo y yo hicimos una página web en la Universidad con este gestor y además, en el trabajo más tarde, por presupuesto decidimos utilizar MariaDB en vez de otras de pago.

MariaDB review by <span>Kyle M.</span>
Kyle M.

"Open Source Drop-in Replacement for MySQL"

What do you like best?

I like how MariaDB is an entirely open source product. It gives me confidence that I will have the product to use for years. We've been migrating from a Windows based Database server to a Linux based server and it has been extremely easy; Better uptime, lower cost, lower maintenance. It's been a breeze.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of much to dislike about the product. It has met all of our expectations. An area that might be lacking would be the documentation about each of the settings. Quite a bit of the time, they forward you to MySQL's doc's, and their doc's are terrible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend testing your switch first. Install MariaDB on a test box, then restore a mysqldump from your primary database server. Test out all functionality. mysqltuner is a great program to help with tuning the settings.

We use MariaDB as our primary database system. It has given us confidence to store our data in a RDBMS. It has also helped us lower our server costs. We were able to split up our services into multiple cloud servers rather than a monolithic dedicated server.

MariaDB review by <span>Juan Pablo G.</span>
Juan Pablo G.

"Good experience using MariaDB. Fast & stable."

What do you like best?

I like the facility of use of mariaDB, it's really fast, optimized and works very well into the SQL relational environment. It's a good way to start also in the SQL world.

What do you dislike?

It's only limited to relational SQL, it could be fine to expand this options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a great way to start with databases. Use is very simple, sometimes hard todo queries but it's an interesting start in SQL world.

I worked with maria DB in information systems, it conforms a great database structure and really stable to work with frameworks like django or spring.

MariaDB review by <span>Ben M.</span>
Ben M.

"A great alternative to MySQL!"

What do you like best?

MariaDB has feature congruency everywhere that it matters. If MySQL can do it, MariaDB can very likely do it the same way. Performance is better than MySQL almost across the board. Updates come frequently.

What do you dislike?

Usually, you can follow MySQL-based tutorials, but occasionally they will contain instructions that are different if you're using MariaDB so you must keep that in mind whenever performing DB operations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to drop in MariaDB as a replacement for MySQL, so give it a try!

We're hosting website databases on MariaDB instead of MySQL and have experienced lower resource usage and better performance.

MariaDB review by <span>Darwin F.</span>
Darwin F.

"MariaDB "

What do you like best?

If you want a MysQL open this is the one you are looking for, it is fast, simple and also light, widely recommended

What do you dislike?

No me puedo quejar de este manejador de base de datos basado en MySQL, simplemnete cumple con lo que deberia hacer, nunca lo he usado en ambientes muy grandes,

Recommendations to others considering the product

use for small projects or as a development database, light and very practical

We have a centralized database with which we feed different programs, such as monitoring or some cases of process control applications

MariaDB review by <span>Anthony H.</span>
Anthony H.

"Works great for a web app"

What do you like best?

I am running mariaDB on a rhel7 server for a web app and the install and setup was a breeze.

What do you dislike?

The documentation could be a little more friendly but that is really my only negative and doesn't really reflect on the product itself

we have several web apps we are running and it is a one is an internal ordering system with the orders stored and retrieved from the database and the other is a sign up for visitor parking running on ipads at our doors.

MariaDB review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Open Source MySQL"

What do you like best?

It's a great piece of software for a database. Easy to deploy and use using SQL. Open source too which is always a perk. It has more advanced features than say it's parent, MySQL, so it's much superior to it.

What do you dislike?

Can't scale like other solutions, but should be easy to transition if your needs grow too big. It''s good for a centralized database and small to medium sized setups. Depending what your needs are of course.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should help to support the open source community by using them and supporting financially.

I am using it to store customer information. I have come to realize it's ease of use and how well it worked.

MariaDB review by Administrator

"MariaDB is a fantastic successor"

What do you like best?

Easy installation and easy configuration. Small installation size on a CentOS server, and queries run fast on the server.

What do you dislike?

The updates and new features added to mySQL do not make it to mariaDB all the time. So now MariaDB and mySQL have forked away from each other quite a bit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Weigh the options that both Maria and mySQL provide. Since they forked away from each other, they both offer different sets of tasks.

We utilize a MariaDB on our server to host a Data Warehouse. This houses all our data we pull in from all of our APIs. We then use Metabase and SQL queries to create analytics and insights.

MariaDB review by Administrator in Mental Health Care
Administrator in Mental Health Care

"Remplazo de MySQL con más funcionalidades y mejor rendimiento"

What do you like best?

Nuevos motores de almacenamiento, mejoras de velocidad sobre todo en consultas complejas. Se añaden nuevas tablas de sistema (INFORMATION_SCHEEl sistema para manejar las conexiones se ha mejorado, ya que implementa el sistema pool-of-threads de MySQL 6.0 con el que podemos tener más de 200.000 conexiones a MariaDB. En general se han hecho muchas modificaciones para mejorar el rendimiento, velocidad e incluso implementar características nuevas.MA) para almacenar estadísticas que nos pueden ayudar a optimizar las bases de datos.

What do you dislike?

La única desventaja es la propia de tener que desinstalar MySQL e instalar MariaDB, pero la migración es muy sencilla.

MariaDB está bajo licencia GPL que es menos restrictiva y totalmente gratuita.

MariaDB review by <span>Juan Carlos P.</span>
Juan Carlos P.

"El futuro de Mysql"

What do you like best?

Tiene todo el potencial de Mysql y un mayor soporte que este por parte de los desarrolladores.

Es muy facil de migrar de Mysql a MaríaDB

What do you dislike?

Aún carece de una herramienta propia con interfaz grafica para gestionar la BBDD.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ahora mismo, junto a Oracle, son las mejores BBDD relacionales para montar en proyectos de gran tamaño.

Hemos podido montar un cluster con esta BBDD para mejorar el rendimiento de nuestra aplicacion.

MariaDB review by <span>Adelle Berzabeth K.</span>
Adelle Berzabeth K.

"The best open source database software"

What do you like best?

What I like the best is that MariaDB is free, you can install it anytime you needed it without paying anything. It's free and it handles all our business needs when it comes to storage of data and building a webserver

What do you dislike?

It does not have a dedicated support as it is an open source, although lots of people uses it, there's tons of community forums ready to help us when needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MariaDB is free and easy to use

Database and webserver

MariaDB review by <span>Sean F.</span>
Sean F.

"Great drop in MySQL replacement"

What do you like best?

When you need a quick relational DB, open source MariaDB is there for you.

What do you dislike?

Fewer cloud providers offer this as an engine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should first choose an engine supported by your cloud provider of choice. If MariaDB is not an option, choose MySQL, but for any local development go ahead and install MariaDB.

Relational databases are enablers of many different kinds of business applications. By switching to MariaDB over MySQL, we got out from under Oracle's grasp without changing any application logic.

MariaDB review by <span>Eric M.</span>
Eric M.

"Completely open source alternative to corporate-managed alternatives"

What do you like best?

When Oracle began changing the versions of MySQL available, everyone started looking for API-compatible alternatives. MariaDB was one of the first to arrive and is a fantastic, scalable, easy-to-configure replacement for traditional MySQL that requires absolutely zero code changes to use.

What do you dislike?

MariaDB is so true to its original MySQL roots that some of the bugs still plaguing MySQL are also affecting Maria. This is disappointing as it leaves multiple communication paths for bug reporting and tracking down issues that need fixing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some of the open and outstanding bugs affecting MySQL also affect MariaDB - when looking for support, sometimes it doesn't matter which database engine you ask about.

The only business requirement was a truly free and open alternative to MySQL that could potentially become non-open in the future. We still use both, but adding MariaDB into the mix helped illustrate issues under the surface in both systems and allowed our systems team to shore up their database implementations.

MariaDB review by <span>Koceila B.</span>
Koceila B.

"Fast Efficient Secure"

What do you like best?

The ability to handle a high amount of data and not feel a negative impact on performance. It feels easy to control, backup, and manipulate the data in command line as well as with nearly any software!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be a bit finicky setting up for software but that can usually be due to a permissions issue/

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you try it out it's great and easy to work with

Usernames, passwords, profile data, forum posts, threads, ect.

MariaDB review by Administrator in Graphic Design
Administrator in Graphic Design

"A simple upgrade from MySQL "

What do you like best?

Transparent and simple, allows us to seemlessly move on from MySQL and not look back.

What do you dislike?

Additional learning curve involved in the install and having to be aware of the minor niggles and bugs which are all documented

We reached end of life with MySQL and upgraded our server to the latest version of CentOS. MariaDB stepped in and took over allowing us to use our old systems transparently.

MariaDB review by <span>Jason G.</span>
Jason G.

"For me mariaDB is the best open source database software"

What do you like best?

MariaDB is free, which is why I like it the best. Also it can easily be installed especially when I am building web server. There's a lot of people using this that's why there's a lot of community forums out there, who is ready to help one another

What do you dislike?

No dedicated support as this is a open source software

Recommendations to others considering the product

Maria DB is free and very easy to install

We use mariaDB for our webserver

MariaDB review by <span>Andrei R.</span>
Andrei R.

"Migration from MySQL to MariaDB for Digital Signature Web Application"

What do you like best?

Simplicity, reliability. TokuDB engine support (data compression). Very fast. Replication is very reliable (and simple to setup).

What do you dislike?

Had to figure out some details. The one important feature is missing - multiple hard drives support. The data has to be on a single drive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It just works and a lot more advanced compare to MySQL.

Had to find the proper data storage for a fast growing data volume for a digital signature web application. The TokuDB Engine was chosen, because it allows a data compression, which is a very helpful feature, specifically for a fast data growth. Also, the replication setup was a breeze. Unfortunately TokuDB engine does not allow for a full cluster (master-to-master) setup, but replication is good enough. I was surprised of reliability of replication process. I did a crash test - just unplugged the servers and replication resumed after power was restored.

MariaDB review by <span>Ryan R.</span>
Ryan R.

"Security with Ease of Use"

What do you like best?

From install to use MariaDB can be setup and ready to go in minutes. It also has several performance enhancements over its competition.

What do you dislike?

It's developed by a much smaller team and the future of the product is not always certain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for other options over MySQL this is a great option.

Easy to deploy in development and use case scenarios.

MariaDB review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"More or less the same MySQL one has come to depend on"

What do you like best?

Relatively easy to configure, good advice out there for tuning, etc. since the product is so widely used, and it's free if you don't need support, etc.

What do you dislike?

Could come slightly better tuned out of the box; setting up a new system that is properly functional is a bit daunting

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the extensive knowledge out there about MySQL, and consider mysqltuner.pl for tips on tuning.

It works for various software products that require a database; we use it for several different other pieces of software. It is certainly far cheaper than Oracle, which frankly is overkill for many projects.

MariaDB review by <span>Nico C.</span>
Nico C.

"A very good opensource database solution"

What do you like best?

It is open source and fully compatible with MySQL, which means that I can safely use MySQL connector over ASP.NET, while I can always hope for new updates and fixes, totally for free.

What do you dislike?

It's development focus is not very clear to me: doesn't seem to focus on performances nor very large set of functions/datatypes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very good compromise between open source (free), stability and scalability. It is indeed the standard de-facto in web applications.

I mostly use it while developing websites.

MariaDB review by <span>Dan O.</span>
Dan O.

"Solid open source database option!"

What do you like best?

Surprisingly stable and scalable for an open source database. The price tag for it is a NULL value as well :)

What do you dislike?

Unlike it's MySQL counterpart, you can't get an enterprise support contract for it from Oracle. That said, depending on your past experiences with Oracle, that might be a positive.

I've built several data warehouses with MariaDB, some of them fairly large.

MariaDB review by <span>Stan P.</span>
Stan P.

"replaced informix and mysql with mariadb 4 years ago"

What do you like best?

drop in replacement for mysql (storage engines renamed but there); new aria storage engine. back to being open source after mysql/oracle purchase- original engineers and new contributors should succeed to match/pass mysql installations. gradually replacing mysql in popular linux distributions

What do you dislike?

aria still seems to need more work. overall probably still playing catch-up to postgres but can get there

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are familiar with mysql, switching to mariadb should be quite easy. If it doesn't quite match your needs the source is available and you can modify things as needed. I was already familiar with the sources under mysql; mysys, sql, myisam, etc., and the work done there mapped across quite nicely to maria (none would have been needed if I had used the handler interface, but I had used the myisam storage engine directly)

worked on a project in past job as both developer and administrator, to migrate from informix to mysql, then to mariadb under linux. This saved thousands of dollars on licensing fees for informix and unix and eventually resulted in a more stable database for the business application

MariaDB review by <span>Simon P.</span>
Simon P.

"Replication and High Availability"

What do you like best?

The set-up of replication is quick and straight forward.

If running Windows, then edit the hosts file located in:

/windows/system32/drivers/etc

On Linux:

/etc

Add entries for each database server to the hosts files with alias's:

192.168.1.100 server1.db.com

192.168.1.101 server2.db.com

Install mariadb on both systems.

Edit the 'cnf' file on each system, server1:

binlog-do-db=rat

relay-log=slave-relay-log.index

expire_logs_days=10

max_binlog_size=500M

Of couse you have to edit the paths and passwords according to your own set-up.

Export the database from server1 with:

mysqldump -u root -p:##### dbname >db.sql

Import the dumped sql file into server2.

If error encountered when trying to change master to master_host, try:

reset slave;

Add firewall exceptions for port 3306 TCP/UDP or systems will not be able to connect to each other.

Use telnet to test if each system can see the other using:

telnet name 3306

Where name is the server alias.

Try to connect to the remote database using mysql:

mysql -u username -ppassword -h hostname -P 3306

Using a user name and password and the host name according to your set-up.

What do you dislike?

A wizard based set-up for the replication would be a nice feature.

Replication, redundancy and single point of failure.

MariaDB review by <span>Sean L.</span>
Sean L.

"Excellent replacement for MySQL"

What do you like best?

MariaDB has better performance, more open development, compatibility with MySQL, supports additional storage engines, and has quicker security releases.

What do you dislike?

Might become uncompatible in the future. I haven't run into any incompatibilities in my own deployment, but it's worth noting that MariaDB and MySQL have begun to [diverge](https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/).

Recommendations to others considering the product

PostgreSQL is worth looking into, but as a replacement for MySQL, MariaDB is a clear winner.

I use MariaDB as a general-purpose RDBMS for data exploration and analysis.

MariaDB review by <span>Matt C.</span>
Matt C.

"DB Demystified"

What do you like best?

- Ease of transition

- Truly open souce

- Few bugs, and fixed quickly after discovery

- Safely near the bleeding edge

- Choice of versions

- Quality of documentation

- Galera Cluster (although we need a solid open-source web admin suite)

What do you dislike?

- Lack of Galera administrative gui, of any kind.

- Should probably package own versions of Percona Tools

- Need better upfront caveats and advice when introduced to Galera Cluster

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need or desire truly open-source database suite, then MariaDB / Galera Cluster is for you.

- MariaDB is Free as in air

- Clustering with Galera is a breeze and allows us to drop DB nodes out at random

MariaDB review by <span>Derek R.</span>
Derek R.

"MariaDB has a great deal of flexibilty with a healthy future ahead of it."

What do you like best?

I have used MySQL for years and I really see MariaDB as the future of the MySQL code base. In my prior position its linkages to Cassandra and separation from Oracle were important to us.

What do you dislike?

The Cassandra connector at the time I used it was a bit limiting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would have others look at what they get with MariaDB, there are some true upgrades with drop in compatibility with MySQL.

At my prior company we used it as our core SQL install, replacing MSSQL as we moved to a LAMP stack. We also used Cassandra as our NoSQL solution, so the connector gave us some nice flexibility in how we interacted with that data store.

MariaDB review by <span>Yannick L.</span>
Yannick L.

"Excellent option as open source database"

What do you like best?

As a MySQL fork, MariaDB covers all the needs for a SQL database, without the Oracle shadow...

What do you dislike?

Since it's entirely open source and supported by the community, you sometimes need to dig to find answers to your questions...

Good relational DB, comes bundled with some Linux flavors, fully compatible

"Easy and useful"

What do you like best?

I think that this DB manager is really easy todo install and to use. It is available in most of platforms and It is similar to MySQL.

What do you dislike?

MariaDB is a relational DB, cause you cant use It to work with non relational data, but It is not a disadvantage, you only need the correct DB manager to your data type.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Useful and easy

When you need a light DB manager for relational data is a great option. It is easy to install and to manage.

MariaDB review by <span>Robinson A.</span>
Robinson A.

"If it has an active community, it must mean something"

What do you like best?

It has one of the best perfomance in DB engines out there, frequent and meaningful updates, mostly security related, it also has solid compatibility with the known MySQL. Very easy to migrate and maintain.

What do you dislike?

Their marketing isn't the nicest and professional thing in the database engines market.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, you never now what will come out of your efforts trying new technologies. There's a bunch of textbooks about mariadb already so you can get up and running in no time.

I had a client who wanted to migrate from MySQL to MariaDB because it is lightweight and more secure, less focused by internet bots and such.

MariaDB review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"A great MySQL Drop in replacement"

What do you like best?

MariaDB has all the strengths of MySQL with a faster development cycle and more reliable releases. Works great in place of any MySQL needs, the commands are even the same.

What do you dislike?

I think that getting newer releases of the project (like MariaDB 10+) can be difficult on some enterprise distros, so I wish that official releases were more readily available in an RPM format.

Any database that used to require MySQL we have moved over to MariaDB. We find it to be higher performance, more reliable, and A+ software.

MariaDB review by Administrator

"Works as expected, easy to work with and simple to use"

What do you like best?

Simple to use. Installed as part of Icinga so don't have that much knowledge on it. When have had the need to work with it it works just like working with MySQL.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. It seems to work just as expected, and as per MySQL. I have had no issues with it after running it in production for 2 months now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Installed as part of Icinga. It manages the functions of the database as per requirements with Icinga.

MariaDB review by <span>Luis R.</span>
Luis R.

"base de datos util"

What do you like best?

la base de datos mas usada la ser gratuita

What do you dislike?

Falta persistencia de datos, no tiene PL/SQL.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si quieres levantar un buen proyecto usa Postgres o MongoDB

he usado bases de Oracle, Postgres y MongoDB, se podria decir que MariaDB es para gente con pocos recursos y conocimientos

MariaDB review by <span>Brian S.</span>
Brian S.

"The best opensource database software"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that this is free! I can implement it any time I want at no cost. Lots of people are using it and there's lots of community forums ready to help any question/issues I have

What do you dislike?

Of course since this is free, there's no dedicated support

Store any data/information of our company

MariaDB review by <span>Blagovest P.</span>
Blagovest P.

"The most important MySQL databases in our company are migrated to MariaDB"

What do you like best?

The XtraDB storage engine is is amazing. Scaling was never been so simple. You should also try the MaxScale solution from MariaDB.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any bad experience with MariaDB

Recommendations to others considering the product

You must check the MaxScale proxy from MariaDB. This solution is perfect for high availability and load balancing. Even if the software architecure doesn't support it. There are even options for Query logging and tracking, routing...

Our high-loaded nodes are running MariaDB

MariaDB review by <span>Christian P.</span>
Christian P.

"MariaDB > MySQL"

What do you like best?

You have everything that you need in order to have a very well performance

What do you dislike?

Useful for small projects or as a small development database, light and very practical

MariaDB review by <span>Marcos A.</span>
Marcos A.

"Best open RDS"

What do you like best?

MariaDB allows you to create simple and lightweight environments for many tyoes of applications.

What do you dislike?

Lack of tutorials and documentation about DBA tasks.

It allows to store the data in a multiple engine storages so it fits very well to our domain and processes.

MariaDB review by Administrator

"Easy and strong database"

What do you like best?

The best is that this database is open source and it is based on MySQL

What do you dislike?

For the moment I dislike nothing because it is based on MySQL and you can connect to it as it is MySQL so you can reuse all MySQL tools and drivers

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great and strong free database

We were searching for an easy to deploy, maintain and connect database so we chose MariaDB because MySQL was bought by Oracle and some things are available by price.

MariaDB review by <span>Sergi M.</span>
Sergi M.

"Easy to store data with minimum resources"

What do you like best?

Better performances than other similar products

Developed by open community.

Paritioning is nicely implemented.

What do you dislike?

The graphical user interface should be better

Not full compatibility with MySQL

Recommendations to others considering the product

Community

Storing data from an eCommerce multisite.

Uses less resources that others.

Running multiple DB smoothly

MariaDB review by <span>Fawzi B.</span>
Fawzi B.

"the new standard"

What do you like best?

who doesnt use mysql? now mariadb is the new standard in centos. it is seemly and i never utilized any of its advanced features but works great

What do you dislike?

many changes to my perl scripts to better automate backup process

Scalability

MariaDB review by <span>Andrew P.</span>
Andrew P.

" MariaDB is a good Upgrade from MySQL with few compatibility issues."

What do you like best?

Upgrading to MariaDB has made our custom built MRP system more robust and improved speed of access. There are also more options for reduncy like Galera cluster which i intend to explore in the near future.

What do you dislike?

i have yet to find any reasons to dislike MariaDB

Recommendations to others considering the product

MariaDB is a better implementation of MySQL than the Oracle version, more stable, more redundantcy options.

We upgraded from MySQL so to improve the speed and reliability of our MRP, We were having some problems with crashing and slow access which has now been sorted out.

MariaDB review by <span>Justin G.</span>
Justin G.

"Great"

What do you like best?

It works great. There are a few things that are different than mysql but it does the job just fine.

What do you dislike?

Some if the language does not match up with myswl

We are using it as the database for our inventory system

MariaDB review by <span>Jose F.</span>
Jose F.

"MariaDB Vs Another DB"

What do you like best?

GPL, performance, speed. MariaDB incorporates new tables at the system level, which help in database optimization

What do you dislike?

Nothing. Have to uninstall mysql to install mariadb

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cassandra

Compatibility with WordPress, XenForo, phpBB, MyBB, SMF, Drupal, Vbulletin, etc.

MariaDB review by <span>Kumaran B.</span>
Kumaran B.

"DBA's has to use MariaDB..."

What do you like best?

Free, stable, easy to install (Straight forward setup), can handle replication, reliability,most popular database in the world. I have used MariaDB for years and i would strongly recommend this product.

What do you dislike?

A GUI based setup for the replication & database management would be a needed feature.

worked on several projects as a server / database administrator, i have implemented more than 30 MariaDB database (DEV/TEST/PRD environment). This saved our company huge amount of money (free license).

MariaDB review by <span>Nitish S.</span>
Nitish S.

"Technical Architect"

What do you like best?

The best part is simplicity with the handling of different database objects.

What do you dislike?

Some of the important features of relational databases are missing like sequences.

We are using MariaDB for transactional data at a unit level.

MariaDB review by Administrator

"Great SQL dbms, now with enhanced data analysis tools."

What do you like best?

The multi-master galera cluster solution is awesome and works very well.

What do you dislike?

Lacks memcache integrated store. But has tokuDB a high speed column storage.

It is a backend for high traffic websites, including e-learning ones.

MariaDB review by <span>Juan A.</span>
Juan A.

"mariadb open source database"

What do you like best?

It's a complete opensource database compatible with mysql with better performance

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike anything in particular from mariadb

better performance compared to mysql

MariaDB review by <span>J H.</span>
J H.

"Great Alternative for MySQL"

What do you like best?

Better support, faster performance, good roi for the price

What do you dislike?

I do not have an dislikes of Maria Db at the moment

free open source

MariaDB review by <span>Laurent C.</span>
Laurent C.

"The number 1 database"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of installation, configuration and speed of execution of MariaDB.

What do you dislike?

Do not run under the different existing OS.

I replaced my old database with MariaDB for flexibility and performance.

MariaDB review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Replacement for MySQL"

What do you like best?

Simply because it's compatible to MySQL.

And Centos 7 comes with MariaDB instead of MySQL.

It;s almost same as MySQL, which leads the configuration management very easy.

At the same time, more new feature.

What do you dislike?

Not much.

Compared to PostgreSQL, Mariadb, similar to MySQL, has its own disadvantages.

But, the LAMP is so popular and made Mariadb/MySQL widely deployed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No matter how much you like PostgreSQL, you'd better try MariaDB or MySQL, simply because that the LAMP is so popular and MariaDB/MySQL is the first options for LAMP.

Our team provides other teams with online service. You need to select the right database for your applications.

MariaDB review by <span>Sameer V.</span>
Sameer V.

"MariaDB is true open source database worth more than MySQL and for that matter Oracle too."

What do you like best?

We like pretty much everything about MariaDB. Easy replacement for MySQL. Text search features, dynamic column etc.

What do you dislike?

The Java Client support seems to be a bit rough

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try MariaDB and you might not want to use any other DB

A deployable database solution for our customer deployments with zero "0" amount of maintenance overhead

MariaDB review by User in Higher Education

"MariaDB review"

What do you like best?

The large community to reach out for help

What do you dislike?

Nothing, the only thing I am concern is the the fact that it is open and people have access to try to hack into it.

I used it to build a tracking system for applications. The benefits are huge, integration with other systems and it is easy to find help from the community using it.

MariaDB review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"MariaDB Experience"

What do you like best?

That fact that it is open source as opposed to other databases.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing really to dislike. It is almost the same as the Oracle database, so any grievances you have with oracle, you might have with Maria DB.

I have used Maria DB as a back-end database that is connected to via php to build web applications.

MariaDB review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"MariaDB experience"

What do you like best?

The best part about MariaDB is the support for multiple Database engines without requiring separate licenses. Impressed about the functionality provided by InnoDB and TokuDB

What do you dislike?

The lack of a GUI tool to perform basic admin tasks like scheduling jobs, backups, replication setup, etc

We are using MariaDB for highly transactional data which changes frequently. We are also using MariaDB to aggressively archive and delete data from tables to keep them smaller which in turn makes the data manipulation and retrieval faster

MariaDB review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Perfect solution for redundancy, distribution and survivability"

What do you like best?

The master-master Galera clustering feature is one of the best DB clustering solutions in the open source world.

What do you dislike?

The unique id for a table is not incremented by 1 in a cluster configuration to avoid conflicts. I wish there was a better solution to avoid non-sequential unique ids.

Creating a distributed and redundant database

MariaDB review by Administrator in Law Enforcement
Administrator in Law Enforcement

"MariaDB"

What do you like best?

MariaDB helps us to maintain our databases. We have recently migrated from mysql. This transition has made a big improvement in our productivity.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. This software has all of the bells and whistles we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it you will be pleasantly surprised.

We have solved productivity issues by using Maria

MariaDB review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Easy peesy"

What do you like best?

Like the simplicity of understanding and working on it. Adding and deleting fields and data is just a click away.

What do you dislike?

The overall look does not seem like its usable in big companies environment.

It is easy to connect to the maria DB and easy to manage data.

MariaDB review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"What can I see that hasn't been said"

What do you like best?

Simple, secure, reliable and scalable database. Cheaper than Oracle.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. It's simple to acquire and easy to licence.

Err, it's a database.

"MariaJesusDB"

What do you like best?

MariaDB is a great database management derivated from MySQL. It is a tool well developed that has helped a lot of companies with its awesome versatility and utility.

What do you dislike?

MariaDB is awesome but there are a better options.

Management and database queries.

"MariaDB - quick & easy"

What do you like best?

The best thing I liked about MariaDB is that it was very easy to learn and use.

What do you dislike?

I didn’t like the usability in the sense that I expected more that I could do with the software.

Student-Teacher database relations.

MariaDB review by Consultant

"Easy to install and manage database"

What do you like best?

Availability to install and use for Drupal development

What do you dislike?

Nothing, it fits perfectly and we use it as an alternative to MySQL

We use it as a database engine, available in all popular Linux distribution for Drupal development mainly

MariaDB review by Administrator

" Excellent stable database and easy to use"

What do you like best?

Stable and easy database in administration and installation

What do you dislike?

The disadvantage of this database is that it only works with InnoDB

Gain in cost and performance by using the cluster and reducing the machines that followed

MariaDB review by <span>Andres B.</span>
Andres B.

"Deployed and Maintained www.miniclip.com's MariaDB servers. Thousands of Requests per second "

What do you like best?

Its reliability and how powerful it is. I did not experience any problems other than normal replication issues but nothing that could not be resolved.

What do you dislike?

Cluster Capabilities. A better clustering technology.

Highly scalable and easy to maintain.

MariaDB review by User in Information Technology and Services

"After a couple of years using Maria DB"

What do you like best?

Fully compliance with mysql, always updated, well documenti and easy to install.

What do you dislike?

Really nothing, as a relational dbms it handles anything is needed for common web development tasks.

Web application, web application scaling, high traffic management. Scaling, redundance and replication.

MariaDB review by User in Libraries
User in Libraries

"Good implementation "

What do you like best?

This is a good improvement on MySQL while retaining all of the good features MySQL has

What do you dislike?

There isn’t very much to dislike about this product

Faster and more reliable than MYSQL

MariaDB review by User

"its very similar to mysql and works great"

What do you like best?

Works very similiar to mysql and syntax is exactly same plus its very fast.

What do you dislike?

Everything works really well. didnt find anything bad.

i am creating a portal for client which uses mariadb

MariaDB review by Administrator

"Works for what you need it to do"

What do you like best?

Open source and free to use for commercial and personal projects

What do you dislike?

Not much, good community support when needed

If you need a relational database for free, this is it

"La alternativa a mysql"

What do you like best?

Es una alternativa a mysql menos robusta pero funcional

What do you dislike?

Tiene menor compatibilidad y funciona algo peor que mysql

Pequeñas aplicaciónes a partir de consultas a ddbb

MariaDB review by User

"good opensource relational db, works well"

What do you like best?

good opensource relational db, works well

What do you dislike?

nothing to dislike, does take time to learn all the features of MariaDB

our primary storage of data

"mariaDB"

What do you like best?

mariDB does the query execution faster than other dbs

What do you dislike?

maria db does query execution faster but needs better user interface

speed

MariaDB review by Administrator in Biotechnology
Administrator in Biotechnology

"mariadb the future "

What do you like best?

Scalability, multi master support

partitioning, high performance

What do you dislike?

Not top of my head

So far we are testing the servers

performance

Learning about MariaDB?

* We monitor all MariaDB reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.