Marketo
Badge 1411046837

Marketo

237 8.0 / 10
Watch a Demo
Powerful and easy B2B marketing automation software that helps marketing and sales professionals drive revenue and improve marketing accountability.

Marketo Reviews (237)

I'm used both Marketo and Eloqua extensively. I have been admin over both systems for the last 2 years. Having used Eloqua, the "Cadillac" of marketing automation I've... Read More
0 gnyat9kym4qs1hnvjvxmtnnhjz glhfv0qemtvn86ob mkrsakmjfzgmcvij f69yvyfm hbvnyc
Ben B.
Administrator in Financial Services
Marketo offers a lot of features to help businesses take their online marketing efforts to new heights via email markting, web marketing (including landing pages,... Read More
0 5r4eh71wo2jfaw7q5yemhdbn6fzbasoqfm2zhdrnjwubadd6djhqqskzhg4ese0ek4vnfecouc4w
Michele A.
Administrator in E-Learning
Updated On

Powerful product with excellent support

What do you like best?

Robust lead tracking and scoring, easy-to-use but highly customizable campaigns, excellent customer support, super-rich Community knowledge base.

What do you dislike?

I wish the reporting was more customizable (thought I believe you have more options in different pricing editions). I also wish it was easier to build responsive emails and landing pages, though they've just added a mobile-friendly option for landing pages that is very useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make use of the Community and the Support team! The Community is the best knowledge forum I've ever used. I can get answers to most of my questions just by browsing, thanks to the thoughtful responses from Marketo employees and users.

I've also been impressed with the Support team. All my questions are answered in a timely fashion, and everyone I've worked with has been friendly and knowledgeable, whether I'm reporting a bug or coming to them something I want to accomplish but can't figure out how to set up on my own.

Marketo is a powerful tool, and the support has allowed me to get so much more out of the product.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Marketo is helping us attract and nurture leads at scale, in an way that still feels engaging and personal for our audience. It's also giving us the data we need to continually hone our marketing efforts.

Validated Review

Marketo, as easy or complicated as you need it to be.

What do you like best?

It's simple, yet complex. When it comes to "what can I do" the sky really is the limit. You can do just about anything you want. Whether or not you should is a whole other story, but Marketo will not be the reason you cannot do it!

What do you dislike?

User interface is glitch, and laggy. The "tree" format is ridiculous. I would much rather a tile format with campaigns and better over all "clunking" of projects. However the Pros out weigh this small con. After I got used to it I didn't really notice. Every not and then i'll get frustrated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't think about "static" issues. Nobody wants to change platforms (it's not easy) but that's also just a static problem! After you make the switch ask yourself. Okay, NOW what can i do that I couldn't before. Cloning entire campaigns, leads that can flow through triggers more then once, seamless integration with salesforce and the amount of time you could be saving with the program and allocate that time to other projects.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Marketo takes our marketing automation to the next level. It allows us to spend time and build complex campaigns and clone the ENTIRE campaign to utilize elsewhere. This not only saves us time, but we know it's done right the first time, and every time after that!

The integration between Salesforce and Marketo is seamless. The communication and "real-time" sharing of data really gives our sales team the edge we need to make a lasting impression on our potential members!

It's been invaluable to our long-term marketing goals!

Validated Review

Marketo Marketing Automation -- The tool for the future of marketing

What do you like best?

Marketo does two things right for marketers. First, on the design-side the drag-and-drop elements make it easy to build templates and adjust emails/landing pages without breaking the whole layout. Second, the logical flow of the automation steps take the guesswork out of wondering what will happen when you turn the system on.

The growing demands on marketing to do more in terms of volume and do more in terms of personalization and relevance require highly functional tools that we can rely on. Marketo delivers in spades.

What do you dislike?

Now, I can't claim that Marketo is perfect. But I don't want the shortcomings to overshadow the value it provides.

The reporting module of Marketo allows you to slice and dice your data in many different ways - giving you insight as high-level or detailed as you want. But the interface to do it is not intuitive, I definitely recommend using the training resources and community to help dig deeper into this area.

Because the logic for automation is straightforward, you give up the ability to branch programs and take members down different paths based on behavior criteria as members move through a Flow. This can be mitigated with optional criteria on Flow steps and creating groups of programs that allow you to move members across programs as they take different actions. If you go down the path of the latter, you'll want to keep a mapping of programs to ensure you can track dependencies later.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understanding the internal resources you have to dedicate to the administration of the back-end of any marketing automation platform is critical. If you're purchasing a system primarily for front-end, marketing users then Marketo is a solid choice. It's easy to build lists and programs without needing to learn all the ins and outs of the system.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

One of our primary business challenges is understanding what our prospects and leads are truly interested in after their initial outreach to us. We want to ensure that we are providing relevant communications and offers so that we can build a positive relationship with each person.

Using Marketo has allowed us to get very sophisticated with our targeting and build multiple nurture tracks that speak to specific interests -- and provide the ability for people to change their interests without being stuck in irrelevant nurture programs.

With these programs in place, we have increased our ability to prepare people for a sales conversation (i.e. keeping their interest from an initial download to an MQL status). Our Sales team is making their first contact with leads that recognize our name and products.

A Pardot To Marketo Migration Story

What do you like best?

The versatility and the amount of customer data we now have access to. The Activity Log has been a life saver in helping with troubleshooting, which was very difficult to do in Pardot. I can tell exactly where the Lead got stuck in our marketing process and make the fix. They also have a tremendous number of triggers and filters you can make decisions off of so setting up even a complex sign up process like ours was much easier, no hack-y solution required.

What do you dislike?

It can be very unintuitive occasionally. For instance, two triggers are treated as OR operators always, you can only apply AND/OR logic to filters. However, that is not stated very clearly. There are a few other things that were slightly jarring on switch-over from Pardot. We use our own embedded forms and while Pardot had form handlers which made grabbing information from these forms easy, in Marketo we needed to pull in our web developer to get everything set up properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Converting from one platform to another is quite the undertaking, so make sure that you are well organized (lists, lists and more lists!) and use Marketo Support to your full advantage. If you're not sure about something, it is much better to ask. Marketo is amazingly flexible but that also means it is a more complex system (compared to Pardot) so there is definitely a learning curve. Make sure you try out all of your campaigns in a Sandbox instance.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We have a much better idea of where our sources are coming from and whether our marketing campaigns are proving successful. With multi-touch attribution (and Sales Insight) we can also track users through the entire marketing/sales process and pass on better leads to our Sales team.

Updated On

Like visual coding for marketers

What do you like best?

One of the best things about Marketo is the seemingly unlimited ways in which you can use the software. It seems as though there is not right or wrong way to set up a marketing program, manage a database, create a list, etc. It reminds me of a visual coding platform - once you learn the syntax and the basics of how each command or feature works, you can configure and set up programs within Marketo however you want (not unlike MIT's Scratch platform that teaches children how to code - https://scratch.mit.edu/).

What do you dislike?

One of the most frustrating things about Marketo is the lack of support with finding best practice examples of more complex campaigns, database management, and marketing analytics. Because there is not one correct way of executing a program in Marketo, it sometimes makes me uneasy that I am doing something that is not considered best practice, and I do not know when down the road I will pay the price for it. Though the tutorials on the Community site are comprehensive on a topics level, each tutorial does not dig deep enough to my liking. Additionally, the community, though active and one of the most helpful ones I've encountered, there is a lack of knowledge about topics I want to know most about (more sophisticated ways of using Marketo, or any marketing software for analytics or advanced campaign set-up). However, like coding, there is always a way to go around the infrastructure of the platform and create a hack, but I'm just waiting for the day all of my hacks come back to...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to learn and change the way you think of running marketing programs. Marketo tries to operationalize or at least give you the option to operationalize certain marketing features - be ready and enjoy that change!

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Using Marketo, we've been able to fill the need for a centralized marketing campaign management system, as well as manage a rudimentary version of BI (using Marketo's RCE Analyzer). The biggest benefit has been RCE - it not only changed the way we report, but it changed our mindset about what metrics we should be looking at to measure marketing ROI. It has changed the way our marketing leaders view the department, as well as strengthened the relationship between Sales Operations, as RCE can transform data in a different way than Salesforce.com or Excel. This was, however, with the help of an outside consulting firm (because of the lack of best practices).

Tags

* We monitor all Marketo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Would you like to receive more information about Marketo?