Marketo

Marketo

610 ratings
5238.310
Compare Watch a Demo
Powerful and easy marketing automation software that helps marketing and sales professionals drive revenue and improve marketing accountability.

Marketo Reviews (523 reviews)

• I'm used both Marketo and Eloqua extensively. I have been admin over both systems for the last 2 years. Having used Eloqua, the "Cadillac" of marketing automation I've...Read More
    0 7vjgeuayqj7mnn3v2 spgffxqjo41ftrhvt17atxqjgmnctrw sgewuycd3kkctr8vspdmfoj0pjziabh6ptc7a z0pzzi9c56pywmr0podq0zdwdberdvza4e6eyit625zlayzxkxr
    Ben B.
    Administrator in Financial Services
  • Marketo offers a lot of features to help businesses take their online marketing efforts to new heights via email markting, web marketing (including landing pages,...Read More
    0  zpct8h2hwnsodtllafjoax2xgqsrst5jzfmfzgdtmn2refmukibei6d wk2udt5jzwn5fdseoluzop5uqniwnhtdoldzywdgqnqcvju6irttekvachsg31gsx0jayp4ql rliiuqkf
    Michele A.
    Administrator in Internet
G2 Crowd User: Chantielle M.

Confused But Optimistic

What do you like best?

I quite enjoy the ability to clone programs, emails, etc. and all the assets that are within the programs. It's a great time saver and helps ensure that I don't miss any steps along the way - I just create the first 'template' program and just copy it from there each time I need it.

What do you dislike?

We went with Marketo over other competitors because of the reporting capabilities, but I have to admit that I'm normally confused and frustrated when working in that area. I can't easily drill down in reports for specific date periods, or simply to see source data. It's actually quite difficult for me to find what I need. And if certain things aren't logged in a specific way in our CRM, nothing works... which is a bit of a nightmare. It also drives me crazy that the Record Type Field pulls a random code from Salesforce, rather than the name of the record type - like Prospect or Customer, instead it's 012500000005UpzAAE (which is impossible to remember).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your CRM data is in tiptop shape and you have a friendly sales ops person willing to help you with data analysis. Depending on the size of your company, you could fill an entire role just with handling the various components of Marketo, especially if you have a lot of custom information in your CRM. We weren't prepared for how data intensive it was going to be and our Marketing team just doesn't have that data savvy person, so we've certainly struggled in that regard.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We're pretty new to Marketo so I can't say we've "solved" any problems yet - more like it's helped us uncover a lot of new problems with our contact database and just general marketing efforts. Which is good, but also frustrating. We now have more data to review, but we struggle a lot with a non-biased opinion on this data... having more information on how to interpret data from Marketo might help us more, we're a small team and we lack a firm understanding in that area.

G2 Crowd User: Scott D.
Validated Review

Powerful that allows you to grow with it (in good company)

What do you like best?

When deciding to switch to Marketo as our marketing automation platform, our primary concerns were 1. Finding a tool that we could grow the company with, 2. Ensuring we weren't getting in over our heads and 3. Joining a solid community filled with users and companies that were similar to ours. Marketo was the clear choice because we were able to find all three. The tool itself is extremely powerful, but has not been overwhelming. There's a definite learning curve, as there is with any robust platform, but the support from Marketo and the invaluable resource of their community makes success incredibly achievable.

What do you dislike?

There's a certain element of inside baseball to it all. It hasn't been anything near a deal-breaker, but after using the tool for a few months, it's easy to get in the situation where you want to analyze something but are unable to because you didn't set-up a specific step to gather this data initially. This at times has felt like we're getting smarter, but then needing to wait for data to catchup.

I also expected the analytics component to be a bit more robust and easier to use than it is. Granted, we need to do more work to fully unlock the value (in-line with my comment above), but it's less out-of-the-box than you'd expect and occasionally requires a bit of extra work to view data you'd like to see.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a best-in-class product, but make sure the timing is right. Though our previous platform wasn't right for us after a year, it was what the team needed and could manage at the time. Marketo will require a certain amount of dedicated time to ensure you're getting value out of it. But that's not to say you can't bring in that expertise early-on!

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

It's completely changed the way we work with our SDR and Sales teams. It helped align us, increase the way our marketing team functions (moved us to be revenue-driven) and overall have more understanding of our business.

G2 Crowd User: Sarah L.

Quick Wins + The Long Game = Marketo Success

What do you like best?

The absolute flexibility and depth of this program compared to other MA systems. The support from Marketo is second to none as you learn to use the platform.

Once you start the implementation you can use the learning portal to implement some very quick wins.

On a more sustained level there seems to be no end to the campaigns and programmes you can implement to change the business and increase lead engagement, shorten the sales cycle and ultimately increase revenues.

Engaging with the Marketo Community opens up a world of expertise with people willing to help out on queries.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the complexity can be hard to keep a grip of as you extend the number of users. Be careful always to have a 'second pair of eyes' and don't put anything in a campaign that will throw out global rules such as behavioural scoring.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you carefully look across the best in market for Automation it is hard to beat Marketo. Don't be swayed by those that promise 'cheaper and faster' because that is what you will get.

We use Marketo for 3 clients and counting - the consulting, the planning, the implementation, the day-to-day operations, the reporting and the strategy. It's the only MA platform we will recommend.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Bringing Sales and Marketing together for a client - aligned to the same goals. By dovetailing the department activities within Marketo time and resources are saved - but also everyone is working towards the same benefits.

G2 Crowd User: Ray H.
Validated Review

Feature-rich platform, but landing page and email editors are terrible

What do you like best?

I really like the ease of setting up nurture programs and other multi-touch activities. The triggers work great.

What do you dislike?

The landing page editor is a real pain point. It feels like a 2004 experience. They lack true responsive design capabilities and their use of fixed location design makes their landing page editor a pretty lousy experience. The editor for emails and landing pages also add a lot of junk code which is challenging to debug.

Reporting is pretty cumbersome. We've found that results are inconsistent depending on how and where you are accessing the information. For instance, if I want to see the conversion rate of many unique people visited a ladig page and filled out a form, I'll get three different numbers if I look at it from the (1) Landing page summary versus, (2) Smart lists (with rules "visited page," and "visited page and fills form", and (3) a landing page analytics report. The numbers aren't that different, but different enough to not know which figure to trust. Similar problems with email.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend, but make sure to invest in a designer/developer that is familiar with Marketo to do the dev work. Make sure even basic users are familiar w/ basic HTML and CSS as it is necessary to troubleshoot frequent styling errors.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We've been able to successfully implement several ad hoc email and drip campaigns, as well as lead nurturing programs with complex logic.

G2 Crowd User: Justin G.

A Non-Operationally Minded Marketo User Review

What do you like best?

Of all the automation softwares I explored, Marketo was a clear winner when it came to usability and design. We've been a customer for over 2 years now and each product update has continued to make my job easier and easier.

The new analytics visuals on email send programs give a clear picture into email performance, without having to dig around and manipulate numbers.

I should add that I would never consider myself to be an operational type person, I'm definitely more on the creative side of the brain. Learning and using Marketo has been incredibly easy.

What do you dislike?

The speed of the platform is often troublesome. For marketing teams that need to move fast (all!), there are significant lag times when pulling lists, approving emails and landing pages, and just jumping from campaign to campaign.

My only other complaint is that as a Spark user, support response times are just unacceptable. It can be hours or days between hearing from someone and finding a solution. Now, as a Standard user this is remedied by direct phone support, but even that is often slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely make sure you have a rollout plan and a dedicated team member to manage the platform. When there are lots of cooks in the kitchen, things can get messy and data quality goes down.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Prior to Marketo we were using MailChimp for our email marketing efforts. Since making the switch, creating segmented nurture tracks has been a huge help on bandwidth because I know that leads will be emailed regularly.

The other big issue for us is demonstrating marketing's impact on the business. Program reporting and syncing to salesforce has really helped us demonstrate to leadership the importance and value of marketing spend. It's also helped us figure out where to put our dollars.

Learning about Marketo?

We can help you find the product that fits you best.

Chat with an Advisor

Tags

* We monitor all Marketo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Need help? Talk to a human
Would you like to receive more information from Marketo?