Marketo

Marketo

(1,684)

Leading Engagement Platform that empowers marketers to build brand value, grow revenue, and prove impact.

Work for Marketo?

Learning about Marketo?

Marketo Reviews

Ask Marketo a Question
Showing 1,757 Marketo reviews
Marketo review by Ashley M.
Ashley M.
View Original

"Marketo - Email Marketing "

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Marketo
Marketo review by Alex L.
Alex L.

"Marketo is the top tier Marketing Automation Software Available!"

What do you like best?

Phenomenally easy to set up and implement for my team! Great functionality for campaigns, allowing you to segment your audience easily and smoothly. Allows you to track a lead through the entire lifecycle is a breeze with Marketo! Allows us to see what works and doesn't work so we can make the best out of our marketing budget.

What do you dislike?

I generally like every part of this software but find it can be a little bit slow/non responsive when doing complicated tasks. Generally when I'm doing a lot with smart lists, it will slow down or lag a little bit. Also reporting could be improved in general. It works ok as is but needs an update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want your marketing team to be lean and successful, implement Marketo ASAP!

It allows our marketing team to work more effectively and quickly. The automation allows us for complex workflows that are so critical for our multi channel campaigns. It allows us to report in detail on the efficacy of every one of the campaigns from beginning to end.

What Marketing Automation solution do you use?

Marketo review by Jay O.
Jay O.

"Marketo Leads the Charge as Marketing Automation Transforms Business Results "

What do you like best?

-Partnerships: Google, Bizible, GoToWebinar, Data Augmentation Tools, etc.

-Ease of use of User Interface: almost no coding needed. Understanding of HTML helpful but not needed.

-Analytics tools and ease of use to compare against SFDC reporting or Business Intelligence/Tableau tools.

-The Marketo Community! Amazing resources that are always available to answer your most challenging questions: Marketo Technical Support via tickets direct to Marketo, Product Discussion portal online, Local Marketo User Group meetings

What do you dislike?

-There are opportunities to make program building more fluid. Copying and pasting very complex logic from one area of the system across multiple areas of use, for example. That said, one of the positives is that the customer team really listens to user ideas. Many of the areas for opportunity are being addressed by Marketo's new version: Marketo Sky. Online there is an area where users can submit ideas for product changes and updates, and the Marketo team has listened and is delivering.

Recommendations to others considering the product

-Marketo is leading the pack right now in current partnerships, as well as future potential with the recent acquisition by Adobe.

-Tracking ROI for all Marketing Content and Marketing Tactics.

-Understanding the influence each Marketing Tactic plays in bringing quality leads forward and over the finish line.

-Visibility to which specific behaviors, and combinations of behaviors, that draw prospects into Awareness, Research, Evaluation of your products.

-Setup, tracking, and optimization of numerous custom variables: customer profiles/personas, specific product interest, etc.

Marketo review by Amanda T.
Amanda T.

"Marketo is the best Marketing Automation Tool!"

What do you like best?

1. Marketo is super easy to learn and set up.

2. Email Editor. They have designed email templates for free that make it easy for prospects and customers to consume content and information. You can also drag and drop components to customize templates.

3. Nurture Campaigns! You can segment your audience easily and tie them to a nurture campaign to give them exactly what they want to consume!

4. Lead Lifecycle. Being able to track a lead throughout the buying process is huge for any company. Marketo makes it easy to see what works so you can put your marketing budget to good use!

5. Marketo Community. Most Marketo users are super active on the community site. They offer great tips and tricks and you can get any question answered really fast. They also have marketing pros that are willing to share advice on your marketing strategy and, specifically, Marketo pros that can help guide you in a step by step process to accomplish any specific task.

What do you dislike?

1. I'd like to see a landing page 2.0 editor of some sort. Now with the Adobe acquisition, I think this is inevitable, and I'm excited to see how it turns out!

2. I'd like to do more on the account level, like account scoring and switching account owners in Marketo. I believe you can do this within Marketo ABM, but it's not part of the core product. Definitely save budget for some Marketo add ons, because you'll find you need them as your company grows!

We've found so much success since implementing Marketo! We went from using it to just send out emails like our newsletter to using it to shorten our sales cycle and bring in more revenue. It has been able to adapt to our very dynamic strategies. One of our most shining statistics...We 4xs more MQLs to SQLs and turned 2xs more SQLs to customers. At my most recent company we've been able to prove our contributions directly to sales, providing over $6.3 million in opportunities to Sales in the past year!

Marketo review by Jason H.
Jason H.

"Marketo has changed my life as a marketer!"

What do you like best?

Of the many great thing I could say about Marketo, I would have to say the most impressive thing is how they listen to their customers and add the features that the people who use the system request. Every month there is a new release that has great new features. I have been using Marketo for almost 4 years and I have seen it evolve so much adding new features and improving user experience.

What do you dislike?

There is not much I dislike, but if I had to choose something it would be that at times the system can be slow when doing complicated smart lists. The basic reporting is OK but could use some improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GET IT! Adobe Acquisition will only make it better

I am a consultant so this changes depending on client need, but usually it revolves around being more efficient with their marketing and being able to report on the success.

Marketo review by Alyssa M.
Alyssa M.

"Marketo Review"

What do you like best?

I like that Marketo allows me to build campaigns that are integrated with different channels. I can include social, video, paid ads and interaction amongst assets in one campaign and report on all of it.

What do you dislike?

I do not like UI. I think it is a little outdated. I also feel the support is not the best. There have been some times where I went to support for help and they told me one thing and then after a few months the problem occurs again and I go to support and someone there tells me something different. I have also been given wrong information by support as well before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are evaluating the big 3 MAPs, Marketo definitely is the way to go if you are looking for a platform that can support your multi-channel efforts. Also, if you are looking to increase both your inbound and outbound efforts, Marketo supports those efforts. It also integrated with most of the technologies needed for webinars, social, and ads.

Marketo is great for our marketing team. It provides the automation we need. It allows for the complex workflows needed for our multi-channel marketing campaigns, and it allows us to report fully on each campaign from start to finish. It also brings light to how our leads move through the funnel.

Marketo review by Lindsay K.
Lindsay K.

"Marketo Review"

What do you like best?

My favourite thing about Marketo is the ability to create templated program structures for cloning. This helps speed up program creation in the future, and ensure program consistency. You can also do a lot with the API, and there are a number of tools that you can integrate into the solution.

What do you dislike?

Marketo is a very robust platform, and there isn't much I dislike. There can be a bit of a learning curve when getting started out with the platform. Marketo covers a lot of ground, and you want to set the system up for success from the beginning.

I have worked with Marketo as an in-house marketing manager, as well as being a consultant. I have had to help solve a number of business problems, such as lead generation, managing CASL permissions, attribution tracking and reporting, and many more. Marketo makes a lot of things possible, when programs are set up correctly for the sake of capturing the necessary information to report on numbers to answer important business questions.

Marketo review by Jon-Sun L.
Jon-Sun L.

"One of the most powerful marketing automation platforms with some stability issues they need to fix"

What do you like best?

At it's best, Marketo is a powerhouse in terms of tracking visitors, executing drip/nurture campaigns, and integrating 3rd party systems via it's API and webhooks. I use Marketo in a daily capacity to achieve nearly all of my marketing tasks and it's features tower over its competition. It's Munchkin script that cookies visitors is critical in helping me target/market to the appropriate audiences.

What do you dislike?

Just in the past year, i've experienced more server outages than in my entire 4 years of using Marketo. I'm not sure if it's because of their rapid growth, or because of it's new leadership not focusing on improving infrastructures, but it's incredibly frustrating when outages occur. My biggest pain, is that it not only locks me out of Marketo, but since I embed Marketo forms on WordPress and use it's API in other tools, Marketo's down instances will also affect those.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's costly but worth it in the end if you're serious about Marketing automation

The business problem I needed to solve with Marketo is actively segmenting and targeting a variety of audiences in my database. I also needed to have a tool that helped me manipulate and track Marketing ROI in Salesforce. Marketo achieved both of these with its bidirectional Salesforce sync and it's smartlists/segmentation capabilities.

Marketo review by User

"Marketo - Best Marketing Automation Software"

What do you like best?

Marketo offers a cloud-based email marketing platform for organizations of all sizes to oversee and screen drawing in client connections. The arrangement highlights incorporated applications that convey a scope of abilities including marketing mechanization, social marketing, lead supporting, spending administration, investigation, deals understanding, and site personalization. Marketo offers an online network of advertisers who share thoughts, work together and impact item improvements.

What do you dislike?

The set up stage can be distressing. Likewise, the interface isn't easy to understand so it will require a touch of investment for the client to be acquainted with its condition. Their client bolster isn't constantly responsive and solid.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is being utilized by both the Marketing group and the Sales Team. Marketo helps our Marketing group by giving a platform to accumulate lead data at each period of the purchaser's voyage. Through the data that Marketing assembles, we can enlist chosen leads into email battles

Marketo's product can deal with customers with a client base extending from three clients to in excess of a thousand clients, yet its value point makes it perfect for mid-market and undertaking associations. Support is offered by means of web, telephone and email alongside online FAQ store.

Marketo review by Veronica H.
Veronica H.

"High quality platform but you get out what you put in"

What do you like best?

Marketo is endlessly customisable, and if you have the know how you can build incredibly complex workflows and automation. Full integration with leading CRM platforms takes the hassle out of integration, and the range of features is growing with every release. If you are willing to invest the time to learn and experiment with the platform, you will get a huge amount of value from it. If you are not, you simply won't.

The underlying platform basics make this the most user friendly, fun, engaging platform to work with.

What do you dislike?

Lots of visible investment in huge new features rather than doubling back and putting more effort into perfecting features all customers know and love but need more out of. I realise that all platforms need to innovate, but there has to be a certain level of "filling in the gaps" in your own platform to retain loyal customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't just invest in the product - you have to invest in some consulting to help you get it set up correctly, and always invest in the right user training. This is not a product where you can get away with not investing in the right enablement.

Mostly using for lead generation and customer communications. Also ensuring lead management, scoring and sales alignment were working to help sales teams work more closely with marketing.

Marketo review by Stefanie G.
Stefanie G.

"Powerful system, but doesn't always play well with Google Analytics"

What do you like best?

The automation of smart campaigns and smart lists. You can get incredibly granular with your audience segmentation with fairly minimal upkeep. I love the integration with SalesForce, which takes away a lot of the guesswork when it comes to scoring a customer's value or a prospect's potential value to the business.

What do you dislike?

It's not very intuitive, and you can't have multiple tabs open within the same browser or Marketo will sign you out and force you to log in again. I also dislike that tracking links are displayed in Google Analytics and you can't readily understand where the traffic is coming from. Would be nice if the campaigns had you pre-define a UTM for each email campaign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is a big commitment, but I think it's one of the most powerful in the game. Once you go to Marketo, you will find little need to use any other analytics platforms. I would definitely recommend Marketo to any business looking to grow and market to a large audience with a high degree of segmentation. It easily integrates with many other complex systems (SalesForce, Munchkin), so you minimize the amount of admin work that would otherwise be necessary when entering information into two separate places.

We use Marketo primarily for email marketing. I've realized that our sales nurture campaigns are far more powerful when a sequence of emails is sent to users based on behaviors and interactions with content. We apply a score for specific actions that trigger a marketing activity in Marketo. This really transforms our marketing efforts to be more data-driven rather than inspired by the intuition of our team's marketing wizards.

Marketo review by Andrew S. C.
Andrew S. C.

"Too powerful for novice companies"

What do you like best?

Easier list creation than salesforce itself. Allows for some powerful functionality. This is a tool that I've used at larger companies with experienced teams and it is absolutely the best overall in terms of functionality. The sync with Salesforce is very smooth.

What do you dislike?

Feature overload - a small marketing team with no experience in Market cannot possibly implement enough of what the system offers to justify the expense. If only they had a lighter version for growing companies. Essentially we're paying for features we don't use and not able to actually support all of our customers because the cost to increase contacts is prohibitive. I've noticed some fields I would like to use from Salesforce are not available, which could be due to our Salesforce instance or our integration with Marketo. The most significant concern I have is that I do not trust the data coming from Marketo campaigns; most "converted" customers are automatically labeled that way because some bot in their email client has opened and clicked on the email. It is very hard to tell who is actually opening and clicking vs. ignoring the email.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure you have the capacity to dedicate training and time implementing Marketo, especially if you have not used a marketing automation tool before. There is a significant jump from email blasts to a true marketing automation system.

Nurturing prospective customers. Communicating with users. Content marketing. We have improved the professional presentation of our customer and prospect communications.

Marketo review by Michelle E.
Michelle E.

"Marketo Makes a Better Marketer"

What do you like best?

The level of service you receive. Every SaSS platform has its issues (some more than others), and you're going to have issues with every SaSS platform, so it's all about how you combat those problems.

I'm such an advocate for the platform that I've happily given recommendations to several on-the-fence prospects. I've heard from a few of them later on, letting me know that they felt like they made the right decision.

What do you dislike?

The UI/UX could be better, but ultimately if the functionality works, that's all that matters. I've heard that they're in the process of fixing this, so hopefully it happens soon!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please see my overall review.

Multi-touch drip campaigns. Marketo makes automating the many, many triggers we have setup pretty seamless. Not only can you create them fairly quickly, you know they are going to be reliable. Reporting functionality is great, and the no-hassle sync to salesforce is tantamount.

I've used other big name marketing automation platforms, and Marketo is absolutely the best (in my experience). Switching over from Pardot was actually the first thing I did when I started at my new company.

Marketo review by Ben B.
Ben B.

"My experience with Marketo"

What do you like best?

I'm used Marketo, Hubspot, Pardot and Eloqua extensively. I have been admin over each of these systems for the last 6 years. Having used Eloqua, the "Cadillac" of marketing automation I've got a good insight into what Marketo is and is not.

Marketo is easy to use, quick to setup and an all around good medium level tool. It does everything my company (60 employees) needs. In the past, though I did have to hack it and build work arounds frequently to get more advanced functionality out of it. In the last few years, though, Marketo seems to have surpassed Eloqua in functionality and ease-of-use.

Overall though, I LOVE Marketo and think it's a great tool for the majority of SMBs.

What do you dislike?

UPDATE 2/14/2017 - Coming back to revise this review years later as I've seen Marketo grow and improve. 2 and 3, below, are no longer a problem. Marketo has more integrations now than Eloqua (#3). The API has been greatly improved in Marketo too (#2). #1 is still kind of an issue.

Having used Eloqua, I know how nice their campaign/program builder is. You can drag and drop build your campaigns on a canvas type layout. It's great because it's easy, gives a better top down view of your campaign, and helps you display a campaigns functionality to your executive team. Infusionshoft has something similar. Why Marketo hasn't adopted a similar format for building programs is beyond me.

A few other beefs I have with Marketo are:

1. Form and Landing Page Builder are pretty bad. Marketo has admitted that these two pieces of their tool are the only remaining remnants of their original tool (which wasn't even for marketing automation BTW... Marketo's first tool was an Adwords management interface). Marketo has also said they're aware the form/landing page builders are junky and have said they're going to be rolling out new versions though they wouldn't commit to a timeline for roll out.

2. Their API is weak sauce. I wanted to bring some of our customer renewal emails into Marketo (instead of having our DEV team send them out with our in-house PHP scripts), but we need to send out customer keys (like product licensing keys) in the emails and the Marketo API didn't really have a way to do it. We had to build a work around, which after I planned it out the DEV team kicked it down the road because it'd be too time consuming and they had higher priorities.

3. The third party integrations aren't quite there yet. They've launched a "LaunchPoint" marketplace where you can go and view their partners, but sadly most of these partners do not have any integration with Marketo yet. Eloqua had some pretty extensive integrations that I miss not having in Marketo. However, Marketo has a larger market of partners and most of them are currently working on integrations, so it's only a matter of time before Marketo overtakes Eloqua in 3rd party integrations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For most SMBs I'd suggest using Marketo over Eloqua, Silverpop, Pardot, or other marketing automation suites. i've used Eloqua heavily, and while the tool is powerful, the overall interface (even the E10 interface which I have used) still falls short of what Marketo offers. I've evaluated both Silverpop and Pardot and both of those don't offer the bang for buck that Marketo does.

If budget is a real concern to you you may want to try ActOn. I set it up for a client and it fits their needs quite well, though their needs aren't that great.

If you are a newer company and sell stuff, and don't need to use SalesForce for a CRM I'd suggest InfusionSoft. InfusionSoft is more affordable than Marketo though it too lacks some of the Marketo functionality.

All around, I'm pleased with Marketo as a tool and even more pleased with it as a company. Though I've had some limited support issues with Marketo, they are generally responsive. As a company they're doing some awesome things and applying a lot of pressure to Eloqua, as they have quicker development cycles and seem to be a more agile company.

In using Hubspot and Pardot in the past, I've run into major hurdles with quickly launching new campaigns and with flexibility in reporting. Marketo makes both of these tasks very easy!

Marketo review by Dan S.
Dan S.

"Our centralized campaign execution, lead management and reporting platform"

What do you like best?

The shear power of the platform. "Out of the box", Marketo doesn't do a whole lot. It requires careful planning, design, customizing, configuring, etc. to reflect how your business is structured and operates. It took us over a year to fully deploy Marketo across our global organization. But now that it's aligned to how we go to Market (and how we report on our overall effectiveness), Marketo has become the core (and most powerful) Marketing platform for us. Central to all of this is our highly complex lead lifecycle workflows that assign, route, classify and track the progression of any lead that becomes marketing-qualified/sales-ready. The real-time alerts - and the ability to make these as detailed as possible using variable tokens - are what really got us aligned with our Sales teams.

It's also worth mentioning that the number of passionate Marketo customers/users is part of a very vibrant and active online community. The "Marketo Marketing Nation Community" - which is a huge value-add - consists of many members who enjoy helping others with their Marketo challenges, sharing best practices, influencing/shaping the future of the Marketo platform, and overall enabling us all to connect with one another. And each year, we all have the opportunity to meet and network with one another at the amazing Marketo Summit user conference.

What do you dislike?

The main weakness in Marketo is some of its reporting capabilities (without purchasing add-ons like MPI and Advanced Report Builder). Not only for very tactical reporting (e.g., emails, where it would be so useful to be able to view the leads behind the numbers without having to create a separate "smart list") but for meaningful reporting that global organizations like ours are most concerned with - and that's account-centric/ABM level reporting. For example, the ability to view all relevant activity (aka, "interesting moments") of all leads within a given account is not possible. To overcome many of these weaknesses/limitations (except the account-level reporting), an absolute must is to opt for the add-on module (separate data warehouse and BI tool): either your own (using bulk API extract) or Advanced Report Builder. Now that Marketo has recently acquired Bizible, this should give Marketo a leg up in the ability to report on true multi-touch engagement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can’t underestimate the importance of having access to a Marketo senior consultant (not only during initial deployment, but ongoing), with whom you can collaborate on issues, prior lessons-learned, best-practices, implementation approaches, and general Marketo technology/platform challenges. It was also imperative that our consultant had a solid understanding of our CRM environment – especially when that environment is not SFDC (we use Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2015 Online). Our consultant has been an invaluable member of our extended team!

Prior to deploying Marketo, our overall maturity level of the marketing function was low. We understood the need to develop core competencies in demand generation but historically communicated to the market ad-hoc with “spray and pray” email campaigns). A demand generation function was still being established within our organization. Sales had demanded that Marketing become more involved and integrated in building the Sales pipeline and the overall sales process (including data integration). Sales and pipeline growth were unable to be tied back to marketing efforts, making it difficult to measure Marketing ROI.

We are now have a fully integrated Marketo and CRM platform, resulting in a true closed-loop lead management system to properly route, assign, accept/recycle, qualify/disqualify, convert, progress, and track leads throughout the integrated sales & marketing funnel. Every single marketing activity - whether it's online or offline - is captured in Marketo and tied to a Marketo program. We now use Marketo as our central reporting platform that feed into our corporate quarterly scorecards. This has truly been a game-changer for us.

With Marketo, the creativeness and innovativeness of how we engage with our prospects and clients, how we offer them a relevant/personalized experience and how we measure overall marketing effectiveness will continue to evolve. We have many exciting enhancements underway – most notably, further integrating Marketo into our new website platform, Sitecore. With Marketo, Sitecore and other niche platforms, we hope to be in a position to offer our website visitors – specifically key target accounts – a highly personalized, customized and relevant experience as they engage across our digital channels.

Marketo review by Loren P.
Loren P.

"A Marketo Nation!"

What do you like best?

Marketo is the best of the best. From prospects to customers, lead routing to triggered activities, Marketo helps get our leads to the right people in record time. It's not only helped track our leads more precisely, but allowed us to discover trends. Not only is Marketo itself wonderful, but its ability to integrate with Salesforce provides our team with the data they want and need to make decisions. My favorite feature, and will always be my favorite feature, is the Marketo smart list. Smart list are a godsend. They're perfect for slicing and dicing data exactly how you'd like.

What do you dislike?

Marketo's abilities are far superior to other marketing automation products. It's only downfalls are that sync times can be slow if there are large data updates - pretty common amongst Marketo automation products, so not specific to Marketo. It's reporting abilities are also nothing spectacular. They get the job done, but most of our reporting is done outside of Marketo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is far superior to other marketing automation systems. It's definitely by far the best I've used.

We're able to deliver the right leads to the right people in record time. This has allowed our team to follow-up quickly and get the conversation started. We're also able to track activities and send alerts to the appropriate people which is *huge* for many of our internal teams. Most of all, we're able to integrate Marketo with other marketing technology that's allowed us to track across the customer journey even better.

Marketo review by Cayce A.
Cayce A.

"Marketing Automation with Marketo"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Marketo is that you can make your marketing as simple or complex as you want to for your business needs. I also like that it is easy to navigate, and in the past few months, I've noticed improved experiences with Marketo customer service staff.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how long it takes to learn Marketo and all that you can do with it. To be fair, I came to Marketo from Pardot and when we switched systems, we had a very short timeframe to rebuild what we had been using in Pardot (web forms, drip campaigns for one of our brands, autoresponder emails, etc) into Marketo in a 3 month timeframe, which didn't get a lot of extra time to actually learn all the features of Marketo and properly set it up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering Marketo, I would recommend making sure your company understands the work that will be needed to set Marketo up correctly and have an implementation plan ready (what fields you will map from Marketo to your CRM, what data do you want to report on so you can set up your campaigns/custom fields correctly, etc). Also, make sure you have an IT person on your implementation team who can help set up field mapping and, if you are a non-Salesforce user like we are, they will be helpful when setting up whatever connector you choose to go with (we use Vertify).

Marketo also seems to have more free how-to videos available now that will be helpful to watch before you dog in to your setup.

It really is a powerful marketing automation tool, but will take a long time to fully understand it's capabilities (I'm 2 years in now and still don't know everything!)

We switched to Marketo from Pardot in order to be able to market multiple brands from one Marketo account (which we were not able to do with Pardot). We are automating more of our process across brands with Marketo and working on better customization/perosnalization to our customers. The benefits we've realized are that we can build more complex email campaigns in Marketo, we've found it easier to build/customize emails, we can pull more in-depth data on our customers, and pass leads to our sales reps more efficiently.

Marketo review by Christina L.
Christina L.

"Marketo can definitely streamline and automate all your marketing activities!"

What do you like best?

I like the seamless integration with Salesforce.com. I also like the level of automation that Marketo brings to the table. It's a "set it and forget it" scenario when it comes to setting up multi-touch email programs. Marketo provides invaluable insight on leads that makes sales reps' lives easier (which is our jobs as marketers, right?!). Sales reps are able to find information on their on about all the marketing campaigns going on, who's participated, and can figure out how to prioritize leads accordingly - ALL ON THEIR OWN! One of my favorite programs in Marketo is their automation for promoting and managing virtual events. Webinars are a great lead generation tool especially when they are done right, and Marketo allows for that!

What do you dislike?

Since Marketo is such a robust tool, the learning curve to achieve a certain level of efficiency within it can be daunting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is a robust product with a lot to offer, including a great integration with Salesforce.com. Marketo allows you to streamline and automate all lead generation activities as well as reporting. The programs that Marketo allows you to run on your database like lead scoring, nurturing, lifecycle tracking, are huge when it comes to taking your marketing department to the next level!

We have resolved the ability to allow reps to self-help and prioritize their own leads by implementing lead scoring. Another big win has been the ability to create our own marketing funnel and attain metrics on a lead's pre-sales journey by implementing a lead lifecycle model and taking advantage of the out of the box Success Path Analyzer report.

Marketo review by Michelle B.
Michelle B.

"Powerful Marketing Automation"

What do you like best?

The ability to segment programs based on smart lists and campaigns so users at any stage in our funnel - with any outcome - receive the right message at the right time.

What do you dislike?

The customer support. I was sold on Marketo for its functionality and great sales, but once you're a customer that goes away. Support is slow, unhelpful, and will always result in them sending you a link to a super out-dated knowledge based article.

We've had to hire about $8k worth of consultants to help us with our problems and setup on top of Marketo's $6k launch pack.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have in-house expertise available to you!

Looking to send the right message to the right audience at the right time while they're applying with us. Marketo's ability to integrate with tools like Segment.io has made our product work faster and smarter.

Marketo review by Daniel E.
Daniel E.

"Save time, do more, and drive revenue!"

What do you like best?

Marketo's features make it easy to build standardized programs and copy them for other uses. This is an awesome feature as it saves me a ton of time. I can build a nurture program for product A, spend 2 weeks setting it up and checking for quality, and then execute. I can then take that same campaign and set it up for product B, spend 1 day checking for quality, and then execute. A huge savings!

What do you dislike?

Marketo could improve it's landing page editor for responsive design. It is currently difficult to create mobile friendly landing page templates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not underestimate the value of a good partner when implementing Marketo. You may have to spend a little more to partner with a top agency, but that work will pay off in the long run. A good partner will help you build your processes with an eye towards best practices. There are many opportunities to create long-term problems with Marketo if you do not carefully consider your implementation plans.

Our company has been able to significantly scale our use of marketing automation and has realized tangible revenue generated via Marketo programs. The platform has made it easy for us to communicate with thousands of our customers in a way that we could not previously do.

Marketo review by Shinn C.
Shinn C.

"Powerful, intuitive, and simple to use, but needs some UI love"

What do you like best?

As a demand gen marketer, Marketo does pretty much everything you need. From creating gated landing pages, syncing to your CRM system, and showing lead activity in your CRM, you can create all of the activities and campaigns needed to generate awareness to creating a sales qualified lead.

It's a bit scary looking, but fairly intuitive once you start digging in. I've used other email marketing and marketing automation tools, never had formal training on Marketo, but have used it without any problems for the past few years.

What do you dislike?

The Marketo UX is in need of an update. Having folders is wonderful, but it's pretty difficult to find anything within those folders, the search functionality is lacking. In creating program flows, it would be really useful to have a visual workflow.

I've used Marketo mainly for lead nurturing programs, monthly newsletter campaigns, weekly email campaigns, and lead scoring that combines email response and web activity. We're able to take outbound prospected leads, figure out who is more active, and build a robust audience base for our field and other marketing efforts.

Marketo review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"It's very powerful, but has frequent mistakes and an old design"

What do you like best?

Its integration with Salesforce and the power it has to run countless programs and nurture streams is great. Designing the emails in the interface and then setting the audience directly after is nice.

What do you dislike?

The loading time on it is sometimes pretty ridiculous, and there are a lot of areas that the design of the actual software could look much better and be more intuitive. There is a weird glitch with our current HTML that causes a button with the exact same HTML as another button to be a different font and size, and support didn't help in figuring out why it acts that way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't use Salesforce or haven't already started using Marketo, it would be valuable to look at other options. But I could see choosing Marketo still, based on your needs and environment. Good for enterprise companies.

We automate all of our marketing emails out of the platform, and the trust I have in it to send them out when scheduled is good.

Marketo review by J.P. V.
J.P. V.

"Enterprise Marketing Automation - For Better or Worse"

What do you like best?

Marketo is an incredible robust platform, with built-in capabilities for custom code, landing pages, email campaigns, integrating with Facebook and Google Ads and even customizing content based on user behavior for better CRO.

What do you dislike?

It's prohibitively expensive for many companies, and not just because of the actual product cost but also the man-hours necessary to implement the solution, review the documentation, and design your programs. Not only that, but if you want to do anything other than the most basic tasks you need a developer familiar with Marketo's own quirks to implement, which is probably the biggest drawback to the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If evaluating, compare to options like Infusionsoft and Hubspot which are less robust but focus more on usability, and ask yourself what investment you are truly willing to make in transitioning essentially your entire marketing department to this platform.

Marketo collects all your data from different campaigns in one place very effectively. My PPC campaigns can trigger email drips which capture behavior data which change the landing pages I show a prospect.

Marketo review by Jackie P.
Jackie P.

"Excellent Marketing Automation and Customer Engagement Solution"

What do you like best?

I most like that you can track ROI on your campaigns. It provides a lot more insight into what is working well and what doesn't work well. I like that Marketo listens to their customers and continues to add new features that make it easier to do our job and meet business objectives.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to subscribe to smart lists not just reports. - Update: They have added the feature to allow me to subscribe to smart lists.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at all of the features that they are able to provide you with to help you better engage your customers.

We are able to determine ROI for each campaign and determine the best solution to the business problems we are answering. We are able to increase our highly qualified sales leads that we can pass to our sales team.

Marketo review by Stephanie B.
Stephanie B.

"Love Marketo's Flexibility"

What do you like best?

Marketo is a great platform that allows for a lot of flexibility in functionality. They have an excellent culture around their product and their online community is unmatched. The tool itself is very powerful and can be manipulated in many ways to make a wide variety of marketing campaigns work.

What do you dislike?

The initial lift to get Marketo going makes it a large endeavor to take on and lack of ready-to-go pre-made templates. There are some limitations to the platform from an administration side that make it a bit burdensome, such as not being able to bulk delete programs, approval workflow, limitation in naming duplicates and being able to centralize and control how program and design templates are used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest time and effort into Marketo University and take the courses to understand how Marketo works before diving in.

We use Marketo for our marketing automation. We appreciate the flexibility that Marketo allows and the integrations we can incorporate. We have several users that are trained and certified in the platform and have invested heavily in our staff to take advantage of the tool. This tool offers a lot of hidden functionality to track the actions of users interacting with content that was generated in Marketo or that is linked to Marketo via munchkin codes. We've been able to take advantage of lead scoring and sales insight tools to empower our sales teams based on customer activities. Marketo has allowed us to automate our day-to-day transactions and automate communications with our sales force and respond quickly to our prospects.

Marketo review by Lauren A.
Lauren A.

"Marketo is a must."

What do you like best?

Marketo's integration with Salesforce is second to none. Being able to see near real-time updates in Salesforce guarantees accurate data as well an supports transparency to build trust. Marketo has also enabled functionality such as cloning and tokens that allows marketers to scale the setup of of their marketing programs and assets very easily. They also have an incredible partner network that supports a highly integrated marketing tech stack.

What do you dislike?

Marketo's reporting features are just average. While you can get the data you need, it's often awkwardly presented and in an inconsistent matter. More and more, we are finding ourselves using 3rd party providers and dashboard tools to report on Marketo data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering Marketo, I would think through how you are going to implement and what your support team will look like long term. Marketo is not an app - it is a business-changing operations platform that will revolutionize the way your sales and marketing teams do business.

At the foundation, Marketo allows us to manage leads through the sales cycle, track the success of our marketing initiatives and ultimately allows us to make better decisions on how to spend our marketing budget. We are tracking velocity of our leads through the sales funnel, percentage of opportunities and pipeline generated and influenced, and top performing channels and programs. Marketo is often thought of as an email service provider. I would argue that it just happens to send emails.

Marketo review by Nathan S.
Nathan S.

"Marketo is the best-in-class Marketing Automation Platform"

What do you like best?

Marketo is the most scalable and robust Marketing Automation platform on the market today and it continues to innovate to enable today's Marketers to deliver pipeline for the organizations they support. Marketo is an extremely well integrated solution that can support a wide variety of strategies, from traditional demand gen content marketing, to highly targeted account-based marketing initiatives. One of the features that really sets Marketo apart from the competition is its advanced smart campaign functionality. The robust nature of Marketo campaigns make advanced targeting and workflows possible, including the ability to control the order in which activities process. This is made possible with the use of requested campaigns and webhooks. Another feature that I have to mention is the native email cast functionality within Marketo's Engagement programs. From an email marketing perspective, the host of features available in this program type are unsurpassed by any other product on the market.

What do you dislike?

My dislikes of Marketo typically only arise from user error, which is simply to say that they are avoidable. Marketo is the best solution on the market. The advanced functionality that it makes available to it's users is exceptional, but can be problematic when managed improperly. Having educated specialists and well defined user roles are key for maintaining an efficiently managed Marketo instance. Just like with code or query development, it is possible to get to the end result in an efficient way but also possible to build programs that create inefficient processing at scale.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is really the only marketing automation solution worth considering if you're a B2B Marketing organization that looking to scale.

I use Marketo to support demand gen and abm strategies to deliver reliable pipeline to Sales. I'm constantly working with Sales to optimize lead flow and conversion rates. For this, I've found that a flexible Lifecycle processing architecture is key. Having clearly defined yet flexible Lifecycle / buyers stages is key to measuring and improving marketing funnel conversion rates.

Marketo review by Nitish K.
Nitish K.

"An insanely good marketing automation platform - Marketo!"

What do you like best?

Oh, there are many. Jotting a few of them below -

1) Very easy and intuitive to use

2) Great SFDC integration capability

3) Features like precise A/B testing help

3) Great customer support and post sales service

What do you dislike?

No automation tool is perfect. There are pros and hence, there are cons -

1) Their mobile based application is useless. It is only capable of giving you a snapshot of your data and cannot do much in terms of operational capability.

2) Reporting should be made more robust is what I feel. It is super easy to generate a report directly on Salesforce rather than coming back to Marketo for answers.

2) Pricing, but I guess in terms of quality, the product is premium as well. Not suitable for small size companies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is an expensive tool, hence before you make your decision, look at their value proposition and what it has to offer as well. It is more suitable for a mid-sized organization and above.

1) Marketo helps us generate more qualified leads every month. It is our go-to platform to nurture our leads, & run email campaigns.

2) Marketo manages our entire database. Being a B2B firm, working on the Inbound sales model, we have a lot of leads coming in and going out. All of this is taken care of seamlessly by the robust programs built in the Marketo platform. Its integration with Salesforce makes everything easier.

Marketo review by Dan R.
Dan R.

"Marketing Automation Consultant with experience in hands-on experience in several platforms"

What do you like best?

1. Ability to scale. You can easily reproduce programs and campaigns. Its easy to copy a program. All your marketing assets, lists and workflows are already reproduced and re-connected. Makes it very easy to work with templates.

2. Strongest integration with Salesforce CRM. Custom fields, mappings and values are automatically recognized. You can run a Marketo query within minutes of creating a new field in Salesforce CRM. No need to manually map anything.

3. Rich ecosystem of apps and partners make Marketo your best solution to achieve all your modern marketing objectives.

4. Organization Structure. You can easily navigate to different sections of the application in just a few clicks. The extensive folder structure is a great help to keep everything organized.

What do you dislike?

Marketo could do a better job at allowing you to tag and sort different components of the system. This would come more handy in various reporting needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend Marketo as a marketing automation platform.

- Scale in marketing operations

- Building a strong marketing database composed of data from different systems

- Web personalization of content and pages

- Alignment of marketing activities with the sales process

Marketo review by robert b.
robert b.

"Love the product!"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the great reporting features. I really like being able to create smart lists to pull specific data I need to drive other business goals. Great tool for A/B Testing! Allows for us to show regional how messaging works for one region and not another. We are also able to make changes for smaller regions if needed.

What do you dislike?

sometimes it kicks me out when I am in the middle of building a campaign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to see how it can improve your email automation. This tool will save you a lot of time and allow for more complex campaign nurtures to happen so you can focus on other business needs. I would recommend the too to any business that has a large customer base and needs to balance messaging and new updates. If you are into reporting this tool also allows for great analysis to dig into what is or isnt working. Great Product and great support when ever we need it! Also it integrates with SALESFORCE and is a huge plus for my company and for sales!

We use it to send our emails to our customers and make sure we don't over send messaging. Helps us keep sales in line for sending tons of emails on their own. We have been able to show improved email performance with reporting and adjusted messaging to improve customer engagement. Great tool for A/B Testing!

Marketo review by Kara P.
Kara P.

"Marketo Review"

What do you like best?

* Analytics, metrics, insight - it is great to know by the numbers how marketing campaigns are generating and influencing our prospect and customer behaviour.

* Community site is very active and helpful.

* Product is scalable - in my previous company we scaled to globally to three regions - APAC, EMEA and AMER

* Integration with other digital marketing tools like Go-To-Webinar

*LaunchPoint partners open up the digital marketing platform to offer more capability and enhance our Marketo investment.

What do you dislike?

* Documentation sometimes trails the availability of new features and we only have a local user group meeting quarterly (love it to be more regular).

* Aligning marketing and sales processes with real time metrics to support current and future marketing campaign investment

* Lead nurturing and lead generation programs for our developments.

* Content engagement insight that enables us to make decisions on reuse, redesign and best format.

Marketo review by Russell B.
Russell B.

"Everything you need for marketing automation"

What do you like best?

Marketo is an extremely flexible marketing automation system for everything from lead management to email marketing to personalization and more. From a lead management perspective, it is easy to create segments, prioritize leads, and manage fields/information on your leads. For email marketing, it it is easy to create, schedule, send emails, and run all the analytics you need to track them.

What do you dislike?

Once you start running highly segmented lists on tens and hundreds of thousands of leads, Marketo will be very slow. There are some integrations as well that may break as you scale (like with your CRM). Support is also very slow to help resolve issues. It often takes multiple escalations before you get an answer.

Lead management, email marketing, marketing tracking. The benefits of a marketing automation solution are immeasurable as marketing touches every deal that we have in the business and things like lead management and email marketing are integral to our success.

Marketo review by Lahn B.
Lahn B.

"Work with a name that others know"

What do you like best?

If you have other products you are using, its great to know their is usually an integration with Marketo, It makes it so much easier to have tools that can be used together. Marketo is also a very powerful tool and can be used a variety of ways by different users.

What do you dislike?

Would like an easier way to manage images. Such as see what is in a folder with thumbnail views. This part is a little bit cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cost maybe an issue to some, but having a tool that you know that isn't going to disappear tomorrow is vital. Marketo also has great communities and email insights that add value to any Marketo admin and marketing team.

Great to manage your marketing list needs and nurture programs. Being able to see insights to leads is vital to understand your message effectiveness and also your audience. Great being able to segment into a variety of groups in a very effective way.

Marketo review by Matt W.
Matt W.

"Great Product - Nice people"

What do you like best?

The functionality of the platform is uncontested. We use it for database maintenance, email campaigns, lead creation, lead routing, and so much more. We got the launch pack with this product for an additional fee and it was worth getting it off the ground if you're a first-timer.

What do you dislike?

We've had a partnership for 6 months and have already been through 3 account managers. I feel like re-explaining our use-case/goals is backwards progress. Also I feel like every time I ask a question I get directed to a 10 page article that I don't have time to read.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best business decision we've ever made. If you're marketing and/or operations-savvy, this is a must. Your team will thank you.

Database maintenance, email deliverability, email marketing. The possibilities are endless.

Marketo review by Alex G.
Alex G.

"Marketo is unlike any other platform."

What do you like best?

Marketo is unlike any other platform I have worked with in the automation and email space. Everything organized in groups and based around the record itself.

Most platforms are segmented where you have landing pages in one area, emails in another, and automated workflows (drips) built in a completely separate place. Marketo brings all of this together inside a single program and it makes navigating the system so much easier!

Also, the insights on a record is also quite remarkable, my sales team and clients' sales teams love the information they are provided on a record and the recent engagements that record has done.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the approval process, if I make adjustments to a template and know they are correct, I should be able to push them across all assets and not have to go through individually and approve these.

We are creating full demand generation programs centered around Marketo. Feeding the inbound data along with lead information and seeing the full cycle reporting once that lead has become an opportunity and eventually a customer.

Sales Enablement, creating a life cycle work flow and series of alerts that keeps the sales team up to speed on what their prospects and current customers are doing. Giving the sales team more time to focus on true prospects and while the leads continue to be nurtured until ready to buy.

Marketo review by Christina Z.
Christina Z.

"Best Marketing Automation Solution on the market"

What do you like best?

Marketing Automation is inherently confusing and difficult for users whose roles are not dedicated to MAP. When you have a decentralized model (which many companies do regardless of size), it can be extremely difficult to ensure that functionality is user friendly and meets your needs as a company. Marketo wins in this arena. In the past I've struggled with software that was too often a problem instead of a solution where the interface was too technical, too clunky, not intuitive. Where training consisted of a lot of specific one-off situations and users reached out constantly for a customized set up on virtually every campaign because the template wasn't flexible enough (or there wasn't the ability to create a template!). Marketo transcends those issues and makes it a lot easier to support users in different places geographically or departmentally.

What do you dislike?

There are some reporting capabilities that could be more comprehensive - you can get the data it's the format it comes in that can be difficult in some cases or not quite what you expect or not in the module you expect.

Support is not always the easiest to get a hold of, depending on the issue. There are some rock stars (looking at you Jimmy!) who keep you up to date and are awesome and others that are not great at keeping you in the loop.

We are building a demand generation engine where Marketo is at the core processing our records from a variety of channels, providing history and normalizing data and then letting us pull that into first, last and multi-touch attribution reporting.

Marketo review by Megan S.
Megan S.

"The best marketing software I've ever used!"

What do you like best?

The program is so robust -- if the solution is so robust that if there isn't an obvious solution, chances are it's still possible. We've had some struggles (see the dislikes below) but I still whole-heartedly love the program.

What do you dislike?

We use purposeful duplicates and Marketo still has yet to come up with a good solution. We, also, use Microsoft Dynamics and the native integration is the ugly step-child and regardless of what they say, it has A LOT of issues.

Also, I would mention that their sales wing feels very much disconnected from the rest of the people you interact with. They're pushy and work hard to close a deal... which was off-putting. Also, I'd use an outside agency for my launch pack/Marketo help if I had it to do over again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be extremely clear on your use cases -- things you see as potential roadblocks and have the sales team work through them and show you clear ways around them. Otherwise you may end up with a lot of "sure we can do that" and realize that may not be the case later on (or that it will cost $20,000 to accomplish).

We use an agency model and it's the only program that allows us to market in that way without a lot of cumbersome work-arounds. It's been amazing for automating programs, creating gated content and measuring our success... and we're only scratching the surface.

Marketo review by Rebecca C.
Rebecca C.

"Marketo = the Marketers dream"

What do you like best?

I love that Marketo is easy #1! You can get up and running with minimal resources and time as well as understand how to use the tool in a basic function. The interface is user friendly, not bulky, and easy to navigate. My favorite functionality is that Marketo integrates seamlessly with most products and tools - and honestly most initiatives that marketers need to accomplish can be done with Marketo alone.

What do you dislike?

I dislike when Marketo isn't set up properly the first time or when people are not using it to its full functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure when setting up Marketo that you set it up the correct way to begin with and take the time needed to understand its full functionality to get the most out of the tool.

We are able to communicate with our database via email and track actions taken. From there we are able to view where leads are within our sales funnel at any given time, how long they are in each stage for and how long the actual sales cycle takes. We are able to send buyer/industry specific content out to the right person at the right time to nurture them on their way to conversion. We are able to identify our most promising prospects and drive them to conversion in an efficient manner.

Marketo review by Grace B.
Grace B.

"Great solution for managing scale and complexity"

What do you like best?

Great for working with multiple different business models. Capable of scale, a significant level of customisation available out of the box. Easy to organise according to your preference, and if you build well, it's possible to keep under a tight reign even at enterprise scale. Lots of integrations with other tools

What do you dislike?

The sheer volume of possibilities can sometimes be difficult to fathom. It's both a blessing and a curse. In the APAC region, data sovereignty can be an issue with a lot of the third party tools, so some business do require a custom APIs for some features.

Its UX is not the prettiest, and for the most part it does require you to know how to code or have access to resource that can. But if it's a give and take for customisation and flexibility, I'm okay with that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you've struggled with systems that are unable to cope with the complexity of your system and data structure, Marketo could be a good option. It typically requires a higher level of technical maturity within an organisation and does benefit from having a "power user" - someone who is willing to learn it in depth and take ownership of it.

Support, while on occasion a tad slower than I would like, is typically helpful and knowledgeable about the product.

In my own experience and with my clients, "marketing automation" actually is automated - there's always manual setting up, but it's far more efficient in Marketo than I've seen in any other platform. I (and my clients) get to see the benefits of speaking to our customers in a way that is relevant, timely, and targeted. Setting up and training is definitely not cheap, either time wise or cost wise, but the return is worth it.

Marketo review by Anthony F.
Anthony F.

"Great stuff"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the ability to jump right in. I do not need to spend hours in a class to learn where everything is and how to execute something. I get to jump right in, watch a quick video and make things happen.

What do you dislike?

sometimes simple is not always the best thing. I would love the ability to use some of the competitors feature in here. We need to be able to utilize responsive design in everything. I do not like having to find workarounds for some of these more advanced features that should be built in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a great tool that can get you moving in the right direction. It will not do everything as there is not a tool on the market that does, however I do know it fulfills many of the key items everyday Marketers need.

I get to automate the decision making of what happens next. I have helped my clients increase click-through rate, the responsiveness of their lists and increase ROI for all marketing programs. I leverage Marketo for most interactions with our clients from marketing to leads and supporting sales with campaigns, to onboarding Customers and supporting cross-sales programs.

I am able to take the data that Marketo is collecting from the Munchkin and the campaigns and make decisions what to do next. We build reports that tell us which programs are working and which are duds. This, in turn, helps us spend our small marketing budget more effectively, which leads to better results quarter over quarter.

Marketo review by Caryl M.
Caryl M.

"Marketo makes Marketing Automation Fun"

What do you like best?

The Marketo platform goes beyond email and helps marketers create a marketing ecosystem that can encompass full lifecycle marketing for your leads and prospects

What do you dislike?

Marketo is like walking into a hardware store - it has everything you need to build your home however this doesn't mean that you'll make some very bad DIY mistakes. With Marketo It is easy to miss steps that could be very important for future marketing initiatives and reporting, and can be frustrating if you have to rearchitect your campaigns down the line.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Now seeing Marketo from the agency side, I can see more use cases and examples of how Marketo really is the cream of the crop for Marketing Automation. It is the most robust email marketing platform, it can help align marketing and sales through scoring, account based marketing improvements and sales insight. For the marketer there is a huge feature set without needing IT to manage the platform.

Marketo can be customized to fit your business needs, it isn't just a plug and play system - which is a good thing! I have used it to solve many business riddles - the need to track velocity in the sales funnel, the need to score leads for priority, streamlining and reporting on event/webinar marketing. What's great is that the tool is flexible enough to use for a number of different business use cases and customized to the needs of that particular business.

Marketo review by Jasmine K.
Jasmine K.

"Impressive and efficient technology for marketers"

What do you like best?

Marketo is consistently ranked by analysts as a top automation solution, and I can finally see why! As a marketer, it’s simple to use but also robust for program management from creation to reporting. On a day-to-day basis I use Marketo within a B2B environment and we wouldn’t be able to function without it. It’s a key tool for my marketing strategy, one of our most used functionalities is cloning programs, tactics, and campaigns. This allows us to make fewer mistakes and maintain continuity from user-to-user, an efficiency for my nimble, growing team.

What I’d like to see is continued product improvement driven by customer voices. I’m excited for the new Mercury UI to debut in 2018!

What do you dislike?

As an admin within a small team, the uptime to full functionality can be like climbing a steep hill on a cold day. Simply put, learning this tool can feel cumbersome if it’s not your only responsibility. Luckily, the Marketing Nation Community combined with the product docs and Marketo University prove to be helpful resources for growing your knowledge. Within a year I was able to confidently learn the tool, contribute new ideas, and become a Marketo Certified Expert (MCE).

Service/support - Compared to other automation platforms, there seems to be limited support and desire for accounts to have a 1:1 communication on a regular basis with an account rep. We’ve recently been assigned a new rep and we're making progress.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a way to invest in Marketo and go all in! You will not be disappointed.

I’m able to centralize efforts by using the Launchpoint services to integrate my existing marketing/BI tools such as Klipfolio, Hootsuite, GoToWebinar, etc. and seek out new relationships with partners/vendors.

Marketo gives me the opportunity to seamlessly deliver information to the sales users in my organization through the Marketo Sales Insights tool in Salesforce as well as triggered alerts/emails. I really enjoy the speed of the Salesforce sync as we are able to create/monitor campaigns and attribute revenue almost instantly.

Marketo review by Carey P.
Carey P.

"Marketo will transform your sales and marketing efforts"

What do you like best?

I have used Marketo over 5 years as both a Director of Marketing for a B2B company and a marketing consultant. Marketo is more than a marketing automation system; it's a powerhouse that transforms your organization. When we started using Marketo our marketing efforts were like throwing darts at a wall and our department was regarded as a support team to sales. When we started rolling out Marketo for our email efforts, event management and lead tracking, we gained so much measurable insight on how our efforts impacted revenue. Marketo is a deep and wide program that will allow you to automate and personalize marketing efforts at a larger scale. The deep functionality to develop customized campaigns that listen and act based on your customers activities is unmatched.

In the last few years, Marketo has made huge strides in their customer service and training options. The free training options online are very impressive and the Marketo Summit has improved each year.

What do you dislike?

Marketo is so customizable that everything needs to be built from scratch, including operational campaigns to route leads and basic form tracking. This can be a daunting task for any marketing team, but it is especially challenging for smaller teams.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is the cream of the crop amongst Marketing automation software. Although it may be challenging to learn, it is the most robust and scalable of all marketing automation programs. There is also a strong community of Marketo users and talent. If you make the investment to set-up and learn Marketo, it will pay off in the long run with a program that can grow and scale with your company.

Marketo gives you the tools to run your marketing programs at scale while gathering the data you need to connect the programs to revenue. The biggest benefit I have experienced is that it has allowed my company and clients to put our marketing dollars into the programs that actually drive revenue. At my former company, we increased our return on marketing investment (ROMI) from 100% the first year we used Marketo to over 500% in year 3.

Marketo review by Kelly Jo H.
Kelly Jo H.

"A Powerful Marketing Automation Tool"

What do you like best?

One of the features that makes Marketo so powerful is the ability to build sophisticated behavior-based logic that can be used for lead scoring, moving people through the funnel, updating data, running operational campaigns, and more. I am a heavy user of Smart Campaigns and Smart Lists. I also appreciate all of the pre-built integrations available from the 400+ LaunchPoint partners

What do you dislike?

Performance has always been a problem. Performance problems are most evident when doing a search, moving from one asset to another, saving templates, running large reports. The Advanced Reporting tool (RCA) cannot handle large amounts of data, and only refreshes once every 24 hours, unless something has changed recently.

The biggest gain for every company I've worked with in Marketo is the visibility into the data, and the ability to report on it. The ability to show marketing influence on a closed-won deal.

Marketo review by Zoe W.
Zoe W.

"Marketo is powerful, flexible and gets the job done "

What do you like best?

Marketo's power lies in its flexibility. If you are an experienced user, it is almost infinitely customizable to the specific needs of your business. Just about every aspect of our marketing program resides in Marketo, from our assets to our lead scoring to the automated processes that push data updates to Salesforce, alert our reps, and handle campaign attribution. We launch/track all of our campaigns in Marketo, and the array of available triggers/filters allow you to build complex flows to target and manage leads.

What do you dislike?

Email and landing page editors are subpar (and have been for a while). You may need to invest in outside development/design help if you do not have those resources in-house. Revenue Cycle Explorer, Marketo's answer to revenue attribution/BI tools, is also a weak point -- unlike the rest of Marketo, it is inflexible and a bit of a black box. Finally, tracking and reporting on web activity is difficult/unreliable. Marketo is not a replacement for Google Analytics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest in training/onboarding if you're new to Marketo as an organization. As with any powerful business system, you can do quite a lot with it, but simply having it doesn't give you a strategy, and there's lots you can miss.

Campaign management and attribution, lead acquisition and management, lead lifecycle management, lead scoring, email nurturing, content marketing, analytics, event tracking

Marketo review by Roman P. A.
Roman P. A.

"Functional and feature packed, UI can be finicky at times"

What do you like best?

I always run into new features with templating, modules and campaign building. I feel like there's always more to learn each time I use it. It can be quick for the most part and the organization is limitless. It leaves for a clean environment especially with monitoring multiple campaigns, A/B testing, and scheduling. Overall it ends up taking care of you if you can take care of it.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the features can also be overwhelming and the UI can kick you out if there are multiple users which is a pain. Also it doesn't quite sync up when you have multiple users so it can require a lot of refreshing. At times you could be editing a draft which technically creates a second version of the email until you approve and close it. The speed of the UI can also vary depending on how many users are working on the same publication which can be exhausting if it forces you to refresh and then deletes your work. Fortunately we work in external editors to build our HTMLs before dropping them into templates but I feel like there should be a better fail-safe system when drafts are created. The auto-save can only save you so much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a steep learning curve but the juice is worth the squeeze

It's a simple (somewhat easy) solution to scheduling and organizing campaigns, newsletters, and event emails. It also acts as a solid rich text editor once you figure out how to use the templating system properly.

Marketo review by Jordan R.
Jordan R.

"Powerful integrated marketing technology"

What do you like best?

Marketo is an enterprise level marketing automation tool that allows companies to execute a marketing strategy across a variety of online/offline channels including email, webinars, events, social media, and more. I particularly like the Reports that are available, as well as the robust email editor and the ability to create Snippets and easily insert dynamic content.

What do you dislike?

Marketo has a steep learning curve, and sometimes can be too complicated for its own good. Additionally, every single asset has to be “approved” before put into use, which can be somewhat tedious.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is not the cheapest solution available. If you’re going to use it, use it to its fullest potential across all channels. Ask yourself if you’re ready to migrate your marketing efforts into a single platform. Additionally, integration with Salesforce is important, but required a bit of heavy lifting for the technical implementation. You may need to outsource your initial migration.

Marketo allows channel managers to operate within the same platform, thus providing visibility into results that everyone can easily access. In this way, it provides a lot of operational efficiencies for the business and allows actionable insights to occur quickly. It also allows for easy integration between channels, for example triggering a thank you email to attendees of a webinar. Or alternatively, a follow up email to people who signed up for a webinar but did not atttend. You can then pull reports for the performance of the program as a whole—not just email opens, or just webinar attendance, or just landing page white paper downloads, but a holistic view of the program.

Marketo review by Jennifer A.
Jennifer A.

"Terrible user-experience and awful customer support"

What do you like best?

I honestly had such a horrible experience with Marketo that I cannot recall anything but the negatives.

What do you dislike?

We struggled significantly trying to set up and use Marketo to accomplish the most basic tasks to function as a Marketing department. We took every means necessary to ensure a smooth integration with Marketo during the onboarding and training process but nothing went smoothly at all despite our efforts. We invested in the learning passports, flewa Marketo representative on-site, utilized the Marketo .docs and reached out to support for assistance for assistance but ran into one issue after the next.

Bringing a Marketo consultant on-site did not resolve our issues since she was unable to solve our email issues since she was unfamiliar with the 2.0 templates / editor. The lack of support we experienced throughout the duration of our relationship with Marketo was astounding with the longest support ticket lasting 45 days without a response.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Request a demo/trial of Marketo and HubSpot and you will quickly see user unfriendly Marketo is to do simple tasks such as preparing an email.

We were trying to elevate our emarketing efforts, utilize marketing automation, and increase our productivity/turn-around time.

Marketo review by Sandra L.
Sandra L.

"Excellent marketing software"

What do you like best?

One of the things I like most about Marketo is to be able to send high quality personalized emails, offer lead scoring, and the management of lead nurturing processes. It provides SEO positioning techniques that are very useful to optimize the content. I love that it integrate all the marketing processes in one place. It's a very complete software

What do you dislike?

The price is quite high compared to the competition and the integration with other softwares or CRM systems is quite poor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it to large companies or that handle a large volume of clients and information since the price is high for small or medium companies and especially for freelances that are emerging.

Marketo is a very complete software that offers many benefitsto those who work with Digital Marketing. It unites all the processes we handle, such as inbound strategies, email campaigns, etc. in one place, which gives a lot of comfort to work but the price is a big limitation

Marketo review by Tatianna H.
Tatianna H.

"As a content manager and main email marketing creator, it's interesting to see the data that we get."

What do you like best?

I like the amount of data that can be gained from the work done. Email tracking, automation streams, and lead scoring are all amazing aspects that we never got with other ESPs. I also like that we gain the ability to A/B test and have dynamic and static content in emails that we can send to different audiences.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how long the setup is, nor do I enjoy going through such a manual process to set everything up. There seem to be more questions than answers when starting with Marketo. Also, we had a lot of trouble with our initial setup and our customer success person. With a small team and no dedicated person to run Marketo, it's a lot for the team to learn in a short amount of time. The way email creation is done is not ideal either in terms of easily creating and editing sections.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you provide you and your team a LOT of time to review, study, and implement Marketo. It's definitely not "plug and play" like other ESPs. It is more manual like Google Analytics.

Tracking! The data we hope to get from our customers through your platform gives us hope for better-targeted marketing and e-commerce.

Learn more about Marketo

Marketo Videos

Learning about Marketo?

* We monitor all Marketo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.