Marketo

Marketo

498 ratings
401 8.3 / 10
Watch a Demo
Powerful and easy marketing automation software that helps marketing and sales professionals drive revenue and improve marketing accountability.

Marketo Reviews (401 reviews)

• I'm used both Marketo and Eloqua extensively. I have been admin over both systems for the last 2 years. Having used Eloqua, the "Cadillac" of marketing automation I've... Read More
    0 gnyat9kym4qs1hnvjvxmtnnhjz glhfv0qemtvn86ob mkrsakmjfzgmcvij f69yvyfm hbvnyc
    Ben B.
    Administrator in Financial Services
  • Marketo offers a lot of features to help businesses take their online marketing efforts to new heights via email markting, web marketing (including landing pages,... Read More
    0 5r4eh71wo2jfaw7q5yemhdbn6fzbasoqfm2zhdrnjwubadd6djhqqskzhg4ese0ek4vnfecouc4w
    Michele A.
    Administrator in Internet

Confused But Optimistic

What do you like best?

I quite enjoy the ability to clone programs, emails, etc. and all the assets that are within the programs. It's a great time saver and helps ensure that I don't miss any steps along the way - I just create the first 'template' program and just copy it from there each time I need it.

What do you dislike?

We went with Marketo over other competitors because of the reporting capabilities, but I have to admit that I'm normally confused and frustrated when working in that area. I can't easily drill down in reports for specific date periods, or simply to see source data. It's actually quite difficult for me to find what I need. And if certain things aren't logged in a specific way in our CRM, nothing works... which is a bit of a nightmare. It also drives me crazy that the Record Type Field pulls a random code from Salesforce, rather than the name of the record type - like Prospect or Customer, instead it's 012500000005UpzAAE (which is impossible to remember).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your CRM data is in tiptop shape and you have a friendly sales ops person willing to help you with data analysis. Depending on the size of your company, you could fill an entire role just with handling the various components of Marketo, especially if you have a lot of custom information in your CRM. We weren't prepared for how data intensive it was going to be and our Marketing team just doesn't have that data savvy person, so we've certainly struggled in that regard.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We're pretty new to Marketo so I can't say we've "solved" any problems yet - more like it's helped us uncover a lot of new problems with our contact database and just general marketing efforts. Which is good, but also frustrating. We now have more data to review, but we struggle a lot with a non-biased opinion on this data... having more information on how to interpret data from Marketo might help us more, we're a small team and we lack a firm understanding in that area.

Flexible and powerful MAP with (nearly) unlimited potential

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use of Marketo. I know I can hand a login to almost anyone on our team, give them a few hours of instructions and they will be able to get in the platform and start doing what they need quickly. The out-of-box solutions are solid, and there is even more that you can do if you are comfortable with web programming.

What do you dislike?

There are more glitches and bugs than I would expect from a software company of this size. While there usually aren't any game-breaking bugs, there are enough that it can get annoying sometimes (e.g. Importing lists of leads sometimes crashes my browser... I've figured out the specific step and how to avoid it, but it still should have been fixed at some point). In addition, some of the code generated through the GUI that Marketo offers for landing pages and email design is sloppy and hard to work with/edit. If you only plan on using their tools, you'll be ok; or if you only plan on coding all the elements yourself and importing the html, you'll be ok; its just very difficult to edit the code they have generated as it tends to use in-line style definitions in a very sloppy manner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a solid platform with a much more aggressive development schedule than the competition. Since they are a completely stand-alone company you don't get many of the delays/drama that you get with a MAP that is a subsidiary of another platform. This allows for a product roadmap that is cleaner and more focused on marketing automation.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We needed to deliver emails, track leads and behaviors and interact with our CRM in an automated, rule-driven fashion. The email abilities have been fantastic, and the automation integration with our CRM are invaluable.

A Non-Operationally Minded Marketo User Review

What do you like best?

Of all the automation softwares I explored, Marketo was a clear winner when it came to usability and design. We've been a customer for over 2 years now and each product update has continued to make my job easier and easier.

The new analytics visuals on email send programs give a clear picture into email performance, without having to dig around and manipulate numbers.

I should add that I would never consider myself to be an operational type person, I'm definitely more on the creative side of the brain. Learning and using Marketo has been incredibly easy.

What do you dislike?

The speed of the platform is often troublesome. For marketing teams that need to move fast (all!), there are significant lag times when pulling lists, approving emails and landing pages, and just jumping from campaign to campaign.

My only other complaint is that as a Spark user, support response times are just unacceptable. It can be hours or days between hearing from someone and finding a solution. Now, as a Standard user this is remedied by direct phone support, but even that is often slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely make sure you have a rollout plan and a dedicated team member to manage the platform. When there are lots of cooks in the kitchen, things can get messy and data quality goes down.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Prior to Marketo we were using MailChimp for our email marketing efforts. Since making the switch, creating segmented nurture tracks has been a huge help on bandwidth because I know that leads will be emailed regularly.

The other big issue for us is demonstrating marketing's impact on the business. Program reporting and syncing to salesforce has really helped us demonstrate to leadership the importance and value of marketing spend. It's also helped us figure out where to put our dollars.

Marketo - Not Just Your Email Delivery Tool, Automate for Success

What do you like best?

The bread and butter of Marketo lies in it's ability to track programs from creation to execution. The tool comes with standard program templates that allow you to easily get up and running for your basic email and landing page programs, but it also allows you to track success and engagement across programs like webinars, events, web pages and multi-step or channel campaigns. I like how easy it is to create custom stages so you can easily track each stage of your marketing/sales funnel across different programs/channels. The built-in reports also give you easy visibility into the success of specific programs as well as the resulting pipe contribution and actions taken by the sales team once they have completed the programs call-to-action.

Marketo also makes it easy to track and alert sales reps of lead activity and build out a number of operational programs to ensure data consistency and communication between the marketing and sales teams as well as their associated tool sets.

What do you dislike?

Marketo is not the tool for you if you're simply looking for program management. The programs and tracking available is very in-depth, but it lacks key features to do social marketing or to track content creation/strategy. They have added features such as a campaign calendar, but the layout is hard to understand and leaves marketing teams resorting to a Google calendar or similar feature to track campaign sequencing and deliverables.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please consider looking into a better support package or ensuring you have a resource available with a deeper knowledge of Marketo implementation and program setup.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We initially looked at Marketo for a better email tool, but it's now our main platform to manage success of most (if not all) programs as well as look at key funnel metrics such as cost per lead, lead lifecycle movement and opportunity influence.

Since implementation, we have realized that Marketo is an easier way to link program success to more targeted funnel metrics and it also has the feature set available to further sales enablement and proper alignment with our marketing efforts.

Joining the Marketo Army

What do you like best?

I have been using Marketo for 4+ years now at 2 different employers, so what I liked most then are now are slightly different. Then: the usability, not-so-steep learning curve, drag and drop functionality (no coding required to set up campaigns and write lists), and incredibly support (both from Marketo... and the Marketo Community once that feature was added). Now: I love the monthly updates. Marketo really does listen to its customers and implements ideas/changes that the community feels are most important. The innovation at Marketo is at top-speed and the company is constantly churning out new products and modifying it's existing product to keep with market needs and trends. The majority of this review is based on my use of Marketo from 2010-early 2014 at my previous employer. I will update this review later this year, early next year to encompass my experience at this employer.

What do you dislike?

I think that the reporting feature could be better. Reports can take a while to run (a long while) depending on the amount of granularity you are trying to get. And I have found that running reports with the time setting "all-time" seem to get stuck quite often and not run properly, causing me to pull manual reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will take dedicated time for someone brand new to the system to learn the in's and out's, especially if you are connecting to a CRM (like Salesforce). They will need to understand how information passes back and forth between the systems to ensure data integrity, so be sure to plan ample time for the person to learn.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Being able to automate campaigns based on triggered steps saves tons of time and energy for our small team. Also, we don't have to involve IT when creating campaigns, so we aren't using resources outside of our team. This enables us to get campaigns up and running much faster! Other benefits include the insight that using Programs has showed us (including how many new leads each program brings in, the cost per new lead, and whether or not people are actually using our content - content effectiveness).

Do you like gift cards?

Amazon 5 acb2afc66dfe6e51202b4e162a57da805ec9b95eb7f040e8b25be06cd783556f

Write your first review today, and we’ll send you a $5 Amazon gift card as a thanks for your time and input.

Review Now

Tags

* We monitor all Marketo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Would you like to receive more information about Marketo?