Marketo

Marketo

(1,697)

Powerful and easy marketing automation software that helps marketing and sales professionals drive revenue and improve marketing accountability.

Work for Marketo?

Learning about Marketo?

Marketo Reviews

Showing 1,731 Marketo reviews
Marketo review by Ashley M.
Ashley M.
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Marketo
Marketo review by Jon-Sun L.
Jon-Sun L.

"One of the most powerful marketing automation platforms with some stability issues they need to fix"

What do you like best?

At it's best, Marketo is a powerhouse in terms of tracking visitors, executing drip/nurture campaigns, and integrating 3rd party systems via it's API and webhooks. I use Marketo in a daily capacity to achieve nearly all of my marketing tasks and it's features tower over its competition. It's Munchkin script that cookies visitors is critical in helping me target/market to the appropriate audiences.

What do you dislike?

Just in the past year, i've experienced more server outages than in my entire 4 years of using Marketo. I'm not sure if it's because of their rapid growth, or because of it's new leadership not focusing on improving infrastructures, but it's incredibly frustrating when outages occur. My biggest pain, is that it not only locks me out of Marketo, but since I embed Marketo forms on WordPress and use it's API in other tools, Marketo's down instances will also affect those.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's costly but worth it in the end if you're serious about Marketing automation

The business problem I needed to solve with Marketo is actively segmenting and targeting a variety of audiences in my database. I also needed to have a tool that helped me manipulate and track Marketing ROI in Salesforce. Marketo achieved both of these with its bidirectional Salesforce sync and it's smartlists/segmentation capabilities.

What Marketing Automation solution do you use?

Marketo review by User

"Marketo - Best Marketing Automation Software"

What do you like best?

Marketo offers a cloud-based email marketing platform for organizations of all sizes to oversee and screen drawing in client connections. The arrangement highlights incorporated applications that convey a scope of abilities including marketing mechanization, social marketing, lead supporting, spending administration, investigation, deals understanding, and site personalization. Marketo offers an online network of advertisers who share thoughts, work together and impact item improvements.

What do you dislike?

The set up stage can be distressing. Likewise, the interface isn't easy to understand so it will require a touch of investment for the client to be acquainted with its condition. Their client bolster isn't constantly responsive and solid.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is being utilized by both the Marketing group and the Sales Team. Marketo helps our Marketing group by giving a platform to accumulate lead data at each period of the purchaser's voyage. Through the data that Marketing assembles, we can enlist chosen leads into email battles

Marketo's product can deal with customers with a client base extending from three clients to in excess of a thousand clients, yet its value point makes it perfect for mid-market and undertaking associations. Support is offered by means of web, telephone and email alongside online FAQ store.

Marketo review by Veronica H.
Veronica H.

"High quality platform but you get out what you put in"

What do you like best?

Marketo is endlessly customisable, and if you have the know how you can build incredibly complex workflows and automation. Full integration with leading CRM platforms takes the hassle out of integration, and the range of features is growing with every release. If you are willing to invest the time to learn and experiment with the platform, you will get a huge amount of value from it. If you are not, you simply won't.

The underlying platform basics make this the most user friendly, fun, engaging platform to work with.

What do you dislike?

Lots of visible investment in huge new features rather than doubling back and putting more effort into perfecting features all customers know and love but need more out of. I realise that all platforms need to innovate, but there has to be a certain level of "filling in the gaps" in your own platform to retain loyal customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't just invest in the product - you have to invest in some consulting to help you get it set up correctly, and always invest in the right user training. This is not a product where you can get away with not investing in the right enablement.

Mostly using for lead generation and customer communications. Also ensuring lead management, scoring and sales alignment were working to help sales teams work more closely with marketing.

Marketo review by Stefanie G.
Stefanie G.

"Powerful system, but doesn't always play well with Google Analytics"

What do you like best?

The automation of smart campaigns and smart lists. You can get incredibly granular with your audience segmentation with fairly minimal upkeep. I love the integration with SalesForce, which takes away a lot of the guesswork when it comes to scoring a customer's value or a prospect's potential value to the business.

What do you dislike?

It's not very intuitive, and you can't have multiple tabs open within the same browser or Marketo will sign you out and force you to log in again. I also dislike that tracking links are displayed in Google Analytics and you can't readily understand where the traffic is coming from. Would be nice if the campaigns had you pre-define a UTM for each email campaign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is a big commitment, but I think it's one of the most powerful in the game. Once you go to Marketo, you will find little need to use any other analytics platforms. I would definitely recommend Marketo to any business looking to grow and market to a large audience with a high degree of segmentation. It easily integrates with many other complex systems (SalesForce, Munchkin), so you minimize the amount of admin work that would otherwise be necessary when entering information into two separate places.

We use Marketo primarily for email marketing. I've realized that our sales nurture campaigns are far more powerful when a sequence of emails is sent to users based on behaviors and interactions with content. We apply a score for specific actions that trigger a marketing activity in Marketo. This really transforms our marketing efforts to be more data-driven rather than inspired by the intuition of our team's marketing wizards.

Marketo review by Andrew S. C.
Andrew S. C.

"Too powerful for novice companies"

What do you like best?

Easier list creation than salesforce itself. Allows for some powerful functionality. This is a tool that I've used at larger companies with experienced teams and it is absolutely the best overall in terms of functionality. The sync with Salesforce is very smooth.

What do you dislike?

Feature overload - a small marketing team with no experience in Market cannot possibly implement enough of what the system offers to justify the expense. If only they had a lighter version for growing companies. Essentially we're paying for features we don't use and not able to actually support all of our customers because the cost to increase contacts is prohibitive. I've noticed some fields I would like to use from Salesforce are not available, which could be due to our Salesforce instance or our integration with Marketo. The most significant concern I have is that I do not trust the data coming from Marketo campaigns; most "converted" customers are automatically labeled that way because some bot in their email client has opened and clicked on the email. It is very hard to tell who is actually opening and clicking vs. ignoring the email.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure you have the capacity to dedicate training and time implementing Marketo, especially if you have not used a marketing automation tool before. There is a significant jump from email blasts to a true marketing automation system.

Nurturing prospective customers. Communicating with users. Content marketing. We have improved the professional presentation of our customer and prospect communications.

Marketo review by Michelle E.
Michelle E.

"Marketo Makes a Better Marketer"

What do you like best?

The level of service you receive. Every SaSS platform has its issues (some more than others), and you're going to have issues with every SaSS platform, so it's all about how you combat those problems.

I'm such an advocate for the platform that I've happily given recommendations to several on-the-fence prospects. I've heard from a few of them later on, letting me know that they felt like they made the right decision.

What do you dislike?

The UI/UX could be better, but ultimately if the functionality works, that's all that matters. I've heard that they're in the process of fixing this, so hopefully it happens soon!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please see my overall review.

Multi-touch drip campaigns. Marketo makes automating the many, many triggers we have setup pretty seamless. Not only can you create them fairly quickly, you know they are going to be reliable. Reporting functionality is great, and the no-hassle sync to salesforce is tantamount.

I've used other big name marketing automation platforms, and Marketo is absolutely the best (in my experience). Switching over from Pardot was actually the first thing I did when I started at my new company.

Marketo review by Ben B.
Ben B.

"My experience with Marketo"

What do you like best?

I'm used Marketo, Hubspot, Pardot and Eloqua extensively. I have been admin over each of these systems for the last 6 years. Having used Eloqua, the "Cadillac" of marketing automation I've got a good insight into what Marketo is and is not.

Marketo is easy to use, quick to setup and an all around good medium level tool. It does everything my company (60 employees) needs. In the past, though I did have to hack it and build work arounds frequently to get more advanced functionality out of it. In the last few years, though, Marketo seems to have surpassed Eloqua in functionality and ease-of-use.

Overall though, I LOVE Marketo and think it's a great tool for the majority of SMBs.

What do you dislike?

UPDATE 2/14/2017 - Coming back to revise this review years later as I've seen Marketo grow and improve. 2 and 3, below, are no longer a problem. Marketo has more integrations now than Eloqua (#3). The API has been greatly improved in Marketo too (#2). #1 is still kind of an issue.

Having used Eloqua, I know how nice their campaign/program builder is. You can drag and drop build your campaigns on a canvas type layout. It's great because it's easy, gives a better top down view of your campaign, and helps you display a campaigns functionality to your executive team. Infusionshoft has something similar. Why Marketo hasn't adopted a similar format for building programs is beyond me.

A few other beefs I have with Marketo are:

1. Form and Landing Page Builder are pretty bad. Marketo has admitted that these two pieces of their tool are the only remaining remnants of their original tool (which wasn't even for marketing automation BTW... Marketo's first tool was an Adwords management interface). Marketo has also said they're aware the form/landing page builders are junky and have said they're going to be rolling out new versions though they wouldn't commit to a timeline for roll out.

2. Their API is weak sauce. I wanted to bring some of our customer renewal emails into Marketo (instead of having our DEV team send them out with our in-house PHP scripts), but we need to send out customer keys (like product licensing keys) in the emails and the Marketo API didn't really have a way to do it. We had to build a work around, which after I planned it out the DEV team kicked it down the road because it'd be too time consuming and they had higher priorities.

3. The third party integrations aren't quite there yet. They've launched a "LaunchPoint" marketplace where you can go and view their partners, but sadly most of these partners do not have any integration with Marketo yet. Eloqua had some pretty extensive integrations that I miss not having in Marketo. However, Marketo has a larger market of partners and most of them are currently working on integrations, so it's only a matter of time before Marketo overtakes Eloqua in 3rd party integrations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For most SMBs I'd suggest using Marketo over Eloqua, Silverpop, Pardot, or other marketing automation suites. i've used Eloqua heavily, and while the tool is powerful, the overall interface (even the E10 interface which I have used) still falls short of what Marketo offers. I've evaluated both Silverpop and Pardot and both of those don't offer the bang for buck that Marketo does.

If budget is a real concern to you you may want to try ActOn. I set it up for a client and it fits their needs quite well, though their needs aren't that great.

If you are a newer company and sell stuff, and don't need to use SalesForce for a CRM I'd suggest InfusionSoft. InfusionSoft is more affordable than Marketo though it too lacks some of the Marketo functionality.

All around, I'm pleased with Marketo as a tool and even more pleased with it as a company. Though I've had some limited support issues with Marketo, they are generally responsive. As a company they're doing some awesome things and applying a lot of pressure to Eloqua, as they have quicker development cycles and seem to be a more agile company.

In using Hubspot and Pardot in the past, I've run into major hurdles with quickly launching new campaigns and with flexibility in reporting. Marketo makes both of these tasks very easy!

Marketo review by Dan S.
Dan S.

"Our centralized campaign execution, lead management and reporting platform"

What do you like best?

The shear power of the platform. "Out of the box", Marketo doesn't do a whole lot. It requires careful planning, design, customizing, configuring, etc. to reflect how your business is structured and operates. It took us over a year to fully deploy Marketo across our global organization. But now that it's aligned to how we go to Market (and how we report on our overall effectiveness), Marketo has become the core (and most powerful) Marketing platform for us. Central to all of this is our highly complex lead lifecycle workflows that assign, route, classify and track the progression of any lead that becomes marketing-qualified/sales-ready. The real-time alerts - and the ability to make these as detailed as possible using variable tokens - are what really got us aligned with our Sales teams.

It's also worth mentioning that the number of passionate Marketo customers/users is part of a very vibrant and active online community. The "Marketo Marketing Nation Community" - which is a huge value-add - consists of many members who enjoy helping others with their Marketo challenges, sharing best practices, influencing/shaping the future of the Marketo platform, and overall enabling us all to connect with one another. And each year, we all have the opportunity to meet and network with one another at the amazing Marketo Summit user conference.

What do you dislike?

The main weakness in Marketo is some of its reporting capabilities (without purchasing add-ons like MPI and Advanced Report Builder). Not only for very tactical reporting (e.g., emails, where it would be so useful to be able to view the leads behind the numbers without having to create a separate "smart list") but for meaningful reporting that global organizations like ours are most concerned with - and that's account-centric/ABM level reporting. For example, the ability to view all relevant activity (aka, "interesting moments") of all leads within a given account is not possible. To overcome many of these weaknesses/limitations (except the account-level reporting), an absolute must is to opt for the add-on module (separate data warehouse and BI tool): either your own (using bulk API extract) or Advanced Report Builder. Now that Marketo has recently acquired Bizible, this should give Marketo a leg up in the ability to report on true multi-touch engagement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can’t underestimate the importance of having access to a Marketo senior consultant (not only during initial deployment, but ongoing), with whom you can collaborate on issues, prior lessons-learned, best-practices, implementation approaches, and general Marketo technology/platform challenges. It was also imperative that our consultant had a solid understanding of our CRM environment – especially when that environment is not SFDC (we use Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2015 Online). Our consultant has been an invaluable member of our extended team!

Prior to deploying Marketo, our overall maturity level of the marketing function was low. We understood the need to develop core competencies in demand generation but historically communicated to the market ad-hoc with “spray and pray” email campaigns). A demand generation function was still being established within our organization. Sales had demanded that Marketing become more involved and integrated in building the Sales pipeline and the overall sales process (including data integration). Sales and pipeline growth were unable to be tied back to marketing efforts, making it difficult to measure Marketing ROI.

We are now have a fully integrated Marketo and CRM platform, resulting in a true closed-loop lead management system to properly route, assign, accept/recycle, qualify/disqualify, convert, progress, and track leads throughout the integrated sales & marketing funnel. Every single marketing activity - whether it's online or offline - is captured in Marketo and tied to a Marketo program. We now use Marketo as our central reporting platform that feed into our corporate quarterly scorecards. This has truly been a game-changer for us.

With Marketo, the creativeness and innovativeness of how we engage with our prospects and clients, how we offer them a relevant/personalized experience and how we measure overall marketing effectiveness will continue to evolve. We have many exciting enhancements underway – most notably, further integrating Marketo into our new website platform, Sitecore. With Marketo, Sitecore and other niche platforms, we hope to be in a position to offer our website visitors – specifically key target accounts – a highly personalized, customized and relevant experience as they engage across our digital channels.

Marketo review by Loren P.
Loren P.

"A Marketo Nation!"

What do you like best?

Marketo is the best of the best. From prospects to customers, lead routing to triggered activities, Marketo helps get our leads to the right people in record time. It's not only helped track our leads more precisely, but allowed us to discover trends. Not only is Marketo itself wonderful, but its ability to integrate with Salesforce provides our team with the data they want and need to make decisions. My favorite feature, and will always be my favorite feature, is the Marketo smart list. Smart list are a godsend. They're perfect for slicing and dicing data exactly how you'd like.

What do you dislike?

Marketo's abilities are far superior to other marketing automation products. It's only downfalls are that sync times can be slow if there are large data updates - pretty common amongst Marketo automation products, so not specific to Marketo. It's reporting abilities are also nothing spectacular. They get the job done, but most of our reporting is done outside of Marketo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is far superior to other marketing automation systems. It's definitely by far the best I've used.

We're able to deliver the right leads to the right people in record time. This has allowed our team to follow-up quickly and get the conversation started. We're also able to track activities and send alerts to the appropriate people which is *huge* for many of our internal teams. Most of all, we're able to integrate Marketo with other marketing technology that's allowed us to track across the customer journey even better.

Marketo review by Cayce A.
Cayce A.

"Marketing Automation with Marketo"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Marketo is that you can make your marketing as simple or complex as you want to for your business needs. I also like that it is easy to navigate, and in the past few months, I've noticed improved experiences with Marketo customer service staff.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how long it takes to learn Marketo and all that you can do with it. To be fair, I came to Marketo from Pardot and when we switched systems, we had a very short timeframe to rebuild what we had been using in Pardot (web forms, drip campaigns for one of our brands, autoresponder emails, etc) into Marketo in a 3 month timeframe, which didn't get a lot of extra time to actually learn all the features of Marketo and properly set it up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering Marketo, I would recommend making sure your company understands the work that will be needed to set Marketo up correctly and have an implementation plan ready (what fields you will map from Marketo to your CRM, what data do you want to report on so you can set up your campaigns/custom fields correctly, etc). Also, make sure you have an IT person on your implementation team who can help set up field mapping and, if you are a non-Salesforce user like we are, they will be helpful when setting up whatever connector you choose to go with (we use Vertify).

Marketo also seems to have more free how-to videos available now that will be helpful to watch before you dog in to your setup.

It really is a powerful marketing automation tool, but will take a long time to fully understand it's capabilities (I'm 2 years in now and still don't know everything!)

We switched to Marketo from Pardot in order to be able to market multiple brands from one Marketo account (which we were not able to do with Pardot). We are automating more of our process across brands with Marketo and working on better customization/perosnalization to our customers. The benefits we've realized are that we can build more complex email campaigns in Marketo, we've found it easier to build/customize emails, we can pull more in-depth data on our customers, and pass leads to our sales reps more efficiently.

Marketo review by Christina L.
Christina L.

"Marketo can definitely streamline and automate all your marketing activities!"

What do you like best?

I like the seamless integration with Salesforce.com. I also like the level of automation that Marketo brings to the table. It's a "set it and forget it" scenario when it comes to setting up multi-touch email programs. Marketo provides invaluable insight on leads that makes sales reps' lives easier (which is our jobs as marketers, right?!). Sales reps are able to find information on their on about all the marketing campaigns going on, who's participated, and can figure out how to prioritize leads accordingly - ALL ON THEIR OWN! One of my favorite programs in Marketo is their automation for promoting and managing virtual events. Webinars are a great lead generation tool especially when they are done right, and Marketo allows for that!

What do you dislike?

Since Marketo is such a robust tool, the learning curve to achieve a certain level of efficiency within it can be daunting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is a robust product with a lot to offer, including a great integration with Salesforce.com. Marketo allows you to streamline and automate all lead generation activities as well as reporting. The programs that Marketo allows you to run on your database like lead scoring, nurturing, lifecycle tracking, are huge when it comes to taking your marketing department to the next level!

We have resolved the ability to allow reps to self-help and prioritize their own leads by implementing lead scoring. Another big win has been the ability to create our own marketing funnel and attain metrics on a lead's pre-sales journey by implementing a lead lifecycle model and taking advantage of the out of the box Success Path Analyzer report.

Marketo review by Michelle B.
Michelle B.

"Powerful Marketing Automation"

What do you like best?

The ability to segment programs based on smart lists and campaigns so users at any stage in our funnel - with any outcome - receive the right message at the right time.

What do you dislike?

The customer support. I was sold on Marketo for its functionality and great sales, but once you're a customer that goes away. Support is slow, unhelpful, and will always result in them sending you a link to a super out-dated knowledge based article.

We've had to hire about $8k worth of consultants to help us with our problems and setup on top of Marketo's $6k launch pack.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have in-house expertise available to you!

Looking to send the right message to the right audience at the right time while they're applying with us. Marketo's ability to integrate with tools like Segment.io has made our product work faster and smarter.

Marketo review by Daniel E.
Daniel E.

"Save time, do more, and drive revenue!"

What do you like best?

Marketo's features make it easy to build standardized programs and copy them for other uses. This is an awesome feature as it saves me a ton of time. I can build a nurture program for product A, spend 2 weeks setting it up and checking for quality, and then execute. I can then take that same campaign and set it up for product B, spend 1 day checking for quality, and then execute. A huge savings!

What do you dislike?

Marketo could improve it's landing page editor for responsive design. It is currently difficult to create mobile friendly landing page templates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not underestimate the value of a good partner when implementing Marketo. You may have to spend a little more to partner with a top agency, but that work will pay off in the long run. A good partner will help you build your processes with an eye towards best practices. There are many opportunities to create long-term problems with Marketo if you do not carefully consider your implementation plans.

Our company has been able to significantly scale our use of marketing automation and has realized tangible revenue generated via Marketo programs. The platform has made it easy for us to communicate with thousands of our customers in a way that we could not previously do.

Marketo review by Shinn C.
Shinn C.

"Powerful, intuitive, and simple to use, but needs some UI love"

What do you like best?

As a demand gen marketer, Marketo does pretty much everything you need. From creating gated landing pages, syncing to your CRM system, and showing lead activity in your CRM, you can create all of the activities and campaigns needed to generate awareness to creating a sales qualified lead.

It's a bit scary looking, but fairly intuitive once you start digging in. I've used other email marketing and marketing automation tools, never had formal training on Marketo, but have used it without any problems for the past few years.

What do you dislike?

The Marketo UX is in need of an update. Having folders is wonderful, but it's pretty difficult to find anything within those folders, the search functionality is lacking. In creating program flows, it would be really useful to have a visual workflow.

I've used Marketo mainly for lead nurturing programs, monthly newsletter campaigns, weekly email campaigns, and lead scoring that combines email response and web activity. We're able to take outbound prospected leads, figure out who is more active, and build a robust audience base for our field and other marketing efforts.

Marketo review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"It's very powerful, but has frequent mistakes and an old design"

What do you like best?

Its integration with Salesforce and the power it has to run countless programs and nurture streams is great. Designing the emails in the interface and then setting the audience directly after is nice.

What do you dislike?

The loading time on it is sometimes pretty ridiculous, and there are a lot of areas that the design of the actual software could look much better and be more intuitive. There is a weird glitch with our current HTML that causes a button with the exact same HTML as another button to be a different font and size, and support didn't help in figuring out why it acts that way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't use Salesforce or haven't already started using Marketo, it would be valuable to look at other options. But I could see choosing Marketo still, based on your needs and environment. Good for enterprise companies.

We automate all of our marketing emails out of the platform, and the trust I have in it to send them out when scheduled is good.

Marketo review by J.P. V.
J.P. V.

"Enterprise Marketing Automation - For Better or Worse"

What do you like best?

Marketo is an incredible robust platform, with built-in capabilities for custom code, landing pages, email campaigns, integrating with Facebook and Google Ads and even customizing content based on user behavior for better CRO.

What do you dislike?

It's prohibitively expensive for many companies, and not just because of the actual product cost but also the man-hours necessary to implement the solution, review the documentation, and design your programs. Not only that, but if you want to do anything other than the most basic tasks you need a developer familiar with Marketo's own quirks to implement, which is probably the biggest drawback to the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If evaluating, compare to options like Infusionsoft and Hubspot which are less robust but focus more on usability, and ask yourself what investment you are truly willing to make in transitioning essentially your entire marketing department to this platform.

Marketo collects all your data from different campaigns in one place very effectively. My PPC campaigns can trigger email drips which capture behavior data which change the landing pages I show a prospect.

Marketo review by Jackie P.
Jackie P.

"Excellent Marketing Automation and Customer Engagement Solution"

What do you like best?

I most like that you can track ROI on your campaigns. It provides a lot more insight into what is working well and what doesn't work well. I like that Marketo listens to their customers and continues to add new features that make it easier to do our job and meet business objectives.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to subscribe to smart lists not just reports. - Update: They have added the feature to allow me to subscribe to smart lists.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at all of the features that they are able to provide you with to help you better engage your customers.

We are able to determine ROI for each campaign and determine the best solution to the business problems we are answering. We are able to increase our highly qualified sales leads that we can pass to our sales team.

Marketo review by Stephanie B.
Stephanie B.

"Love Marketo's Flexibility"

What do you like best?

Marketo is a great platform that allows for a lot of flexibility in functionality. They have an excellent culture around their product and their online community is unmatched. The tool itself is very powerful and can be manipulated in many ways to make a wide variety of marketing campaigns work.

What do you dislike?

The initial lift to get Marketo going makes it a large endeavor to take on and lack of ready-to-go pre-made templates. There are some limitations to the platform from an administration side that make it a bit burdensome, such as not being able to bulk delete programs, approval workflow, limitation in naming duplicates and being able to centralize and control how program and design templates are used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest time and effort into Marketo University and take the courses to understand how Marketo works before diving in.

We use Marketo for our marketing automation. We appreciate the flexibility that Marketo allows and the integrations we can incorporate. We have several users that are trained and certified in the platform and have invested heavily in our staff to take advantage of the tool. This tool offers a lot of hidden functionality to track the actions of users interacting with content that was generated in Marketo or that is linked to Marketo via munchkin codes. We've been able to take advantage of lead scoring and sales insight tools to empower our sales teams based on customer activities. Marketo has allowed us to automate our day-to-day transactions and automate communications with our sales force and respond quickly to our prospects.

Marketo review by Lauren A.
Lauren A.

"Marketo is a must."

What do you like best?

Marketo's integration with Salesforce is second to none. Being able to see near real-time updates in Salesforce guarantees accurate data as well an supports transparency to build trust. Marketo has also enabled functionality such as cloning and tokens that allows marketers to scale the setup of of their marketing programs and assets very easily. They also have an incredible partner network that supports a highly integrated marketing tech stack.

What do you dislike?

Marketo's reporting features are just average. While you can get the data you need, it's often awkwardly presented and in an inconsistent matter. More and more, we are finding ourselves using 3rd party providers and dashboard tools to report on Marketo data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering Marketo, I would think through how you are going to implement and what your support team will look like long term. Marketo is not an app - it is a business-changing operations platform that will revolutionize the way your sales and marketing teams do business.

At the foundation, Marketo allows us to manage leads through the sales cycle, track the success of our marketing initiatives and ultimately allows us to make better decisions on how to spend our marketing budget. We are tracking velocity of our leads through the sales funnel, percentage of opportunities and pipeline generated and influenced, and top performing channels and programs. Marketo is often thought of as an email service provider. I would argue that it just happens to send emails.

Marketo review by Nathan S.
Nathan S.

"Marketo is the best-in-class Marketing Automation Platform"

What do you like best?

Marketo is the most scalable and robust Marketing Automation platform on the market today and it continues to innovate to enable today's Marketers to deliver pipeline for the organizations they support. Marketo is an extremely well integrated solution that can support a wide variety of strategies, from traditional demand gen content marketing, to highly targeted account-based marketing initiatives. One of the features that really sets Marketo apart from the competition is its advanced smart campaign functionality. The robust nature of Marketo campaigns make advanced targeting and workflows possible, including the ability to control the order in which activities process. This is made possible with the use of requested campaigns and webhooks. Another feature that I have to mention is the native email cast functionality within Marketo's Engagement programs. From an email marketing perspective, the host of features available in this program type are unsurpassed by any other product on the market.

What do you dislike?

My dislikes of Marketo typically only arise from user error, which is simply to say that they are avoidable. Marketo is the best solution on the market. The advanced functionality that it makes available to it's users is exceptional, but can be problematic when managed improperly. Having educated specialists and well defined user roles are key for maintaining an efficiently managed Marketo instance. Just like with code or query development, it is possible to get to the end result in an efficient way but also possible to build programs that create inefficient processing at scale.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is really the only marketing automation solution worth considering if you're a B2B Marketing organization that looking to scale.

I use Marketo to support demand gen and abm strategies to deliver reliable pipeline to Sales. I'm constantly working with Sales to optimize lead flow and conversion rates. For this, I've found that a flexible Lifecycle processing architecture is key. Having clearly defined yet flexible Lifecycle / buyers stages is key to measuring and improving marketing funnel conversion rates.

Marketo review by Nitish K.
Nitish K.

"An insanely good marketing automation platform - Marketo!"

What do you like best?

Oh, there are many. Jotting a few of them below -

1) Very easy and intuitive to use

2) Great SFDC integration capability

3) Features like precise A/B testing help

3) Great customer support and post sales service

What do you dislike?

No automation tool is perfect. There are pros and hence, there are cons -

1) Their mobile based application is useless. It is only capable of giving you a snapshot of your data and cannot do much in terms of operational capability.

2) Reporting should be made more robust is what I feel. It is super easy to generate a report directly on Salesforce rather than coming back to Marketo for answers.

2) Pricing, but I guess in terms of quality, the product is premium as well. Not suitable for small size companies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is an expensive tool, hence before you make your decision, look at their value proposition and what it has to offer as well. It is more suitable for a mid-sized organization and above.

1) Marketo helps us generate more qualified leads every month. It is our go-to platform to nurture our leads, & run email campaigns.

2) Marketo manages our entire database. Being a B2B firm, working on the Inbound sales model, we have a lot of leads coming in and going out. All of this is taken care of seamlessly by the robust programs built in the Marketo platform. Its integration with Salesforce makes everything easier.

Marketo review by Dan R.
Dan R.

"Marketing Automation Consultant with experience in hands-on experience in several platforms"

What do you like best?

1. Ability to scale. You can easily reproduce programs and campaigns. Its easy to copy a program. All your marketing assets, lists and workflows are already reproduced and re-connected. Makes it very easy to work with templates.

2. Strongest integration with Salesforce CRM. Custom fields, mappings and values are automatically recognized. You can run a Marketo query within minutes of creating a new field in Salesforce CRM. No need to manually map anything.

3. Rich ecosystem of apps and partners make Marketo your best solution to achieve all your modern marketing objectives.

4. Organization Structure. You can easily navigate to different sections of the application in just a few clicks. The extensive folder structure is a great help to keep everything organized.

What do you dislike?

Marketo could do a better job at allowing you to tag and sort different components of the system. This would come more handy in various reporting needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend Marketo as a marketing automation platform.

- Scale in marketing operations

- Building a strong marketing database composed of data from different systems

- Web personalization of content and pages

- Alignment of marketing activities with the sales process

Marketo review by robert b.
robert b.

"Love the product!"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the great reporting features. I really like being able to create smart lists to pull specific data I need to drive other business goals. Great tool for A/B Testing! Allows for us to show regional how messaging works for one region and not another. We are also able to make changes for smaller regions if needed.

What do you dislike?

sometimes it kicks me out when I am in the middle of building a campaign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to see how it can improve your email automation. This tool will save you a lot of time and allow for more complex campaign nurtures to happen so you can focus on other business needs. I would recommend the too to any business that has a large customer base and needs to balance messaging and new updates. If you are into reporting this tool also allows for great analysis to dig into what is or isnt working. Great Product and great support when ever we need it! Also it integrates with SALESFORCE and is a huge plus for my company and for sales!

We use it to send our emails to our customers and make sure we don't over send messaging. Helps us keep sales in line for sending tons of emails on their own. We have been able to show improved email performance with reporting and adjusted messaging to improve customer engagement. Great tool for A/B Testing!

Marketo review by Kara P.
Kara P.

"Marketo Review"

What do you like best?

* Analytics, metrics, insight - it is great to know by the numbers how marketing campaigns are generating and influencing our prospect and customer behaviour.

* Community site is very active and helpful.

* Product is scalable - in my previous company we scaled to globally to three regions - APAC, EMEA and AMER

* Integration with other digital marketing tools like Go-To-Webinar

*LaunchPoint partners open up the digital marketing platform to offer more capability and enhance our Marketo investment.

What do you dislike?

* Documentation sometimes trails the availability of new features and we only have a local user group meeting quarterly (love it to be more regular).

* Aligning marketing and sales processes with real time metrics to support current and future marketing campaign investment

* Lead nurturing and lead generation programs for our developments.

* Content engagement insight that enables us to make decisions on reuse, redesign and best format.

Marketo review by Russell B.
Russell B.

"Everything you need for marketing automation"

What do you like best?

Marketo is an extremely flexible marketing automation system for everything from lead management to email marketing to personalization and more. From a lead management perspective, it is easy to create segments, prioritize leads, and manage fields/information on your leads. For email marketing, it it is easy to create, schedule, send emails, and run all the analytics you need to track them.

What do you dislike?

Once you start running highly segmented lists on tens and hundreds of thousands of leads, Marketo will be very slow. There are some integrations as well that may break as you scale (like with your CRM). Support is also very slow to help resolve issues. It often takes multiple escalations before you get an answer.

Lead management, email marketing, marketing tracking. The benefits of a marketing automation solution are immeasurable as marketing touches every deal that we have in the business and things like lead management and email marketing are integral to our success.

Marketo review by Lahn B.
Lahn B.

"Work with a name that others know"

What do you like best?

If you have other products you are using, its great to know their is usually an integration with Marketo, It makes it so much easier to have tools that can be used together. Marketo is also a very powerful tool and can be used a variety of ways by different users.

What do you dislike?

Would like an easier way to manage images. Such as see what is in a folder with thumbnail views. This part is a little bit cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cost maybe an issue to some, but having a tool that you know that isn't going to disappear tomorrow is vital. Marketo also has great communities and email insights that add value to any Marketo admin and marketing team.

Great to manage your marketing list needs and nurture programs. Being able to see insights to leads is vital to understand your message effectiveness and also your audience. Great being able to segment into a variety of groups in a very effective way.

Marketo review by Matt W.
Matt W.

"Great Product - Nice people"

What do you like best?

The functionality of the platform is uncontested. We use it for database maintenance, email campaigns, lead creation, lead routing, and so much more. We got the launch pack with this product for an additional fee and it was worth getting it off the ground if you're a first-timer.

What do you dislike?

We've had a partnership for 6 months and have already been through 3 account managers. I feel like re-explaining our use-case/goals is backwards progress. Also I feel like every time I ask a question I get directed to a 10 page article that I don't have time to read.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best business decision we've ever made. If you're marketing and/or operations-savvy, this is a must. Your team will thank you.

Database maintenance, email deliverability, email marketing. The possibilities are endless.

Marketo review by Alex G.
Alex G.

"Marketo is unlike any other platform."

What do you like best?

Marketo is unlike any other platform I have worked with in the automation and email space. Everything organized in groups and based around the record itself.

Most platforms are segmented where you have landing pages in one area, emails in another, and automated workflows (drips) built in a completely separate place. Marketo brings all of this together inside a single program and it makes navigating the system so much easier!

Also, the insights on a record is also quite remarkable, my sales team and clients' sales teams love the information they are provided on a record and the recent engagements that record has done.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the approval process, if I make adjustments to a template and know they are correct, I should be able to push them across all assets and not have to go through individually and approve these.

We are creating full demand generation programs centered around Marketo. Feeding the inbound data along with lead information and seeing the full cycle reporting once that lead has become an opportunity and eventually a customer.

Sales Enablement, creating a life cycle work flow and series of alerts that keeps the sales team up to speed on what their prospects and current customers are doing. Giving the sales team more time to focus on true prospects and while the leads continue to be nurtured until ready to buy.

Marketo review by Christina Z.
Christina Z.

"Best Marketing Automation Solution on the market"

What do you like best?

Marketing Automation is inherently confusing and difficult for users whose roles are not dedicated to MAP. When you have a decentralized model (which many companies do regardless of size), it can be extremely difficult to ensure that functionality is user friendly and meets your needs as a company. Marketo wins in this arena. In the past I've struggled with software that was too often a problem instead of a solution where the interface was too technical, too clunky, not intuitive. Where training consisted of a lot of specific one-off situations and users reached out constantly for a customized set up on virtually every campaign because the template wasn't flexible enough (or there wasn't the ability to create a template!). Marketo transcends those issues and makes it a lot easier to support users in different places geographically or departmentally.

What do you dislike?

There are some reporting capabilities that could be more comprehensive - you can get the data it's the format it comes in that can be difficult in some cases or not quite what you expect or not in the module you expect.

Support is not always the easiest to get a hold of, depending on the issue. There are some rock stars (looking at you Jimmy!) who keep you up to date and are awesome and others that are not great at keeping you in the loop.

We are building a demand generation engine where Marketo is at the core processing our records from a variety of channels, providing history and normalizing data and then letting us pull that into first, last and multi-touch attribution reporting.

Marketo review by Megan S.
Megan S.

"The best marketing software I've ever used!"

What do you like best?

The program is so robust -- if the solution is so robust that if there isn't an obvious solution, chances are it's still possible. We've had some struggles (see the dislikes below) but I still whole-heartedly love the program.

What do you dislike?

We use purposeful duplicates and Marketo still has yet to come up with a good solution. We, also, use Microsoft Dynamics and the native integration is the ugly step-child and regardless of what they say, it has A LOT of issues.

Also, I would mention that their sales wing feels very much disconnected from the rest of the people you interact with. They're pushy and work hard to close a deal... which was off-putting. Also, I'd use an outside agency for my launch pack/Marketo help if I had it to do over again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be extremely clear on your use cases -- things you see as potential roadblocks and have the sales team work through them and show you clear ways around them. Otherwise you may end up with a lot of "sure we can do that" and realize that may not be the case later on (or that it will cost $20,000 to accomplish).

We use an agency model and it's the only program that allows us to market in that way without a lot of cumbersome work-arounds. It's been amazing for automating programs, creating gated content and measuring our success... and we're only scratching the surface.

Marketo review by Rebecca C.
Rebecca C.

"Marketo = the Marketers dream"

What do you like best?

I love that Marketo is easy #1! You can get up and running with minimal resources and time as well as understand how to use the tool in a basic function. The interface is user friendly, not bulky, and easy to navigate. My favorite functionality is that Marketo integrates seamlessly with most products and tools - and honestly most initiatives that marketers need to accomplish can be done with Marketo alone.

What do you dislike?

I dislike when Marketo isn't set up properly the first time or when people are not using it to its full functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure when setting up Marketo that you set it up the correct way to begin with and take the time needed to understand its full functionality to get the most out of the tool.

We are able to communicate with our database via email and track actions taken. From there we are able to view where leads are within our sales funnel at any given time, how long they are in each stage for and how long the actual sales cycle takes. We are able to send buyer/industry specific content out to the right person at the right time to nurture them on their way to conversion. We are able to identify our most promising prospects and drive them to conversion in an efficient manner.

Marketo review by Grace B.
Grace B.

"Great solution for managing scale and complexity"

What do you like best?

Great for working with multiple different business models. Capable of scale, a significant level of customisation available out of the box. Easy to organise according to your preference, and if you build well, it's possible to keep under a tight reign even at enterprise scale. Lots of integrations with other tools

What do you dislike?

The sheer volume of possibilities can sometimes be difficult to fathom. It's both a blessing and a curse. In the APAC region, data sovereignty can be an issue with a lot of the third party tools, so some business do require a custom APIs for some features.

Its UX is not the prettiest, and for the most part it does require you to know how to code or have access to resource that can. But if it's a give and take for customisation and flexibility, I'm okay with that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you've struggled with systems that are unable to cope with the complexity of your system and data structure, Marketo could be a good option. It typically requires a higher level of technical maturity within an organisation and does benefit from having a "power user" - someone who is willing to learn it in depth and take ownership of it.

Support, while on occasion a tad slower than I would like, is typically helpful and knowledgeable about the product.

In my own experience and with my clients, "marketing automation" actually is automated - there's always manual setting up, but it's far more efficient in Marketo than I've seen in any other platform. I (and my clients) get to see the benefits of speaking to our customers in a way that is relevant, timely, and targeted. Setting up and training is definitely not cheap, either time wise or cost wise, but the return is worth it.

Marketo review by Anthony F.
Anthony F.

"Great stuff"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the ability to jump right in. I do not need to spend hours in a class to learn where everything is and how to execute something. I get to jump right in, watch a quick video and make things happen.

What do you dislike?

sometimes simple is not always the best thing. I would love the ability to use some of the competitors feature in here. We need to be able to utilize responsive design in everything. I do not like having to find workarounds for some of these more advanced features that should be built in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a great tool that can get you moving in the right direction. It will not do everything as there is not a tool on the market that does, however I do know it fulfills many of the key items everyday Marketers need.

I get to automate the decision making of what happens next. I have helped my clients increase click-through rate, the responsiveness of their lists and increase ROI for all marketing programs. I leverage Marketo for most interactions with our clients from marketing to leads and supporting sales with campaigns, to onboarding Customers and supporting cross-sales programs.

I am able to take the data that Marketo is collecting from the Munchkin and the campaigns and make decisions what to do next. We build reports that tell us which programs are working and which are duds. This, in turn, helps us spend our small marketing budget more effectively, which leads to better results quarter over quarter.

Marketo review by Caryl M.
Caryl M.

"Marketo makes Marketing Automation Fun"

What do you like best?

The Marketo platform goes beyond email and helps marketers create a marketing ecosystem that can encompass full lifecycle marketing for your leads and prospects

What do you dislike?

Marketo is like walking into a hardware store - it has everything you need to build your home however this doesn't mean that you'll make some very bad DIY mistakes. With Marketo It is easy to miss steps that could be very important for future marketing initiatives and reporting, and can be frustrating if you have to rearchitect your campaigns down the line.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Now seeing Marketo from the agency side, I can see more use cases and examples of how Marketo really is the cream of the crop for Marketing Automation. It is the most robust email marketing platform, it can help align marketing and sales through scoring, account based marketing improvements and sales insight. For the marketer there is a huge feature set without needing IT to manage the platform.

Marketo can be customized to fit your business needs, it isn't just a plug and play system - which is a good thing! I have used it to solve many business riddles - the need to track velocity in the sales funnel, the need to score leads for priority, streamlining and reporting on event/webinar marketing. What's great is that the tool is flexible enough to use for a number of different business use cases and customized to the needs of that particular business.

Marketo review by Jasmine K.
Jasmine K.

"Impressive and efficient technology for marketers"

What do you like best?

Marketo is consistently ranked by analysts as a top automation solution, and I can finally see why! As a marketer, it’s simple to use but also robust for program management from creation to reporting. On a day-to-day basis I use Marketo within a B2B environment and we wouldn’t be able to function without it. It’s a key tool for my marketing strategy, one of our most used functionalities is cloning programs, tactics, and campaigns. This allows us to make fewer mistakes and maintain continuity from user-to-user, an efficiency for my nimble, growing team.

What I’d like to see is continued product improvement driven by customer voices. I’m excited for the new Mercury UI to debut in 2018!

What do you dislike?

As an admin within a small team, the uptime to full functionality can be like climbing a steep hill on a cold day. Simply put, learning this tool can feel cumbersome if it’s not your only responsibility. Luckily, the Marketing Nation Community combined with the product docs and Marketo University prove to be helpful resources for growing your knowledge. Within a year I was able to confidently learn the tool, contribute new ideas, and become a Marketo Certified Expert (MCE).

Service/support - Compared to other automation platforms, there seems to be limited support and desire for accounts to have a 1:1 communication on a regular basis with an account rep. We’ve recently been assigned a new rep and we're making progress.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a way to invest in Marketo and go all in! You will not be disappointed.

I’m able to centralize efforts by using the Launchpoint services to integrate my existing marketing/BI tools such as Klipfolio, Hootsuite, GoToWebinar, etc. and seek out new relationships with partners/vendors.

Marketo gives me the opportunity to seamlessly deliver information to the sales users in my organization through the Marketo Sales Insights tool in Salesforce as well as triggered alerts/emails. I really enjoy the speed of the Salesforce sync as we are able to create/monitor campaigns and attribute revenue almost instantly.

Marketo review by Carey P.
Carey P.

"Marketo will transform your sales and marketing efforts"

What do you like best?

I have used Marketo over 5 years as both a Director of Marketing for a B2B company and a marketing consultant. Marketo is more than a marketing automation system; it's a powerhouse that transforms your organization. When we started using Marketo our marketing efforts were like throwing darts at a wall and our department was regarded as a support team to sales. When we started rolling out Marketo for our email efforts, event management and lead tracking, we gained so much measurable insight on how our efforts impacted revenue. Marketo is a deep and wide program that will allow you to automate and personalize marketing efforts at a larger scale. The deep functionality to develop customized campaigns that listen and act based on your customers activities is unmatched.

In the last few years, Marketo has made huge strides in their customer service and training options. The free training options online are very impressive and the Marketo Summit has improved each year.

What do you dislike?

Marketo is so customizable that everything needs to be built from scratch, including operational campaigns to route leads and basic form tracking. This can be a daunting task for any marketing team, but it is especially challenging for smaller teams.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is the cream of the crop amongst Marketing automation software. Although it may be challenging to learn, it is the most robust and scalable of all marketing automation programs. There is also a strong community of Marketo users and talent. If you make the investment to set-up and learn Marketo, it will pay off in the long run with a program that can grow and scale with your company.

Marketo gives you the tools to run your marketing programs at scale while gathering the data you need to connect the programs to revenue. The biggest benefit I have experienced is that it has allowed my company and clients to put our marketing dollars into the programs that actually drive revenue. At my former company, we increased our return on marketing investment (ROMI) from 100% the first year we used Marketo to over 500% in year 3.

Marketo review by Kelly Jo H.
Kelly Jo H.

"A Powerful Marketing Automation Tool"

What do you like best?

One of the features that makes Marketo so powerful is the ability to build sophisticated behavior-based logic that can be used for lead scoring, moving people through the funnel, updating data, running operational campaigns, and more. I am a heavy user of Smart Campaigns and Smart Lists. I also appreciate all of the pre-built integrations available from the 400+ LaunchPoint partners

What do you dislike?

Performance has always been a problem. Performance problems are most evident when doing a search, moving from one asset to another, saving templates, running large reports. The Advanced Reporting tool (RCA) cannot handle large amounts of data, and only refreshes once every 24 hours, unless something has changed recently.

The biggest gain for every company I've worked with in Marketo is the visibility into the data, and the ability to report on it. The ability to show marketing influence on a closed-won deal.

Marketo review by Zoe W.
Zoe W.

"Marketo is powerful, flexible and gets the job done "

What do you like best?

Marketo's power lies in its flexibility. If you are an experienced user, it is almost infinitely customizable to the specific needs of your business. Just about every aspect of our marketing program resides in Marketo, from our assets to our lead scoring to the automated processes that push data updates to Salesforce, alert our reps, and handle campaign attribution. We launch/track all of our campaigns in Marketo, and the array of available triggers/filters allow you to build complex flows to target and manage leads.

What do you dislike?

Email and landing page editors are subpar (and have been for a while). You may need to invest in outside development/design help if you do not have those resources in-house. Revenue Cycle Explorer, Marketo's answer to revenue attribution/BI tools, is also a weak point -- unlike the rest of Marketo, it is inflexible and a bit of a black box. Finally, tracking and reporting on web activity is difficult/unreliable. Marketo is not a replacement for Google Analytics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest in training/onboarding if you're new to Marketo as an organization. As with any powerful business system, you can do quite a lot with it, but simply having it doesn't give you a strategy, and there's lots you can miss.

Campaign management and attribution, lead acquisition and management, lead lifecycle management, lead scoring, email nurturing, content marketing, analytics, event tracking

Marketo review by Roman P. A.
Roman P. A.

"Functional and feature packed, UI can be finicky at times"

What do you like best?

I always run into new features with templating, modules and campaign building. I feel like there's always more to learn each time I use it. It can be quick for the most part and the organization is limitless. It leaves for a clean environment especially with monitoring multiple campaigns, A/B testing, and scheduling. Overall it ends up taking care of you if you can take care of it.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the features can also be overwhelming and the UI can kick you out if there are multiple users which is a pain. Also it doesn't quite sync up when you have multiple users so it can require a lot of refreshing. At times you could be editing a draft which technically creates a second version of the email until you approve and close it. The speed of the UI can also vary depending on how many users are working on the same publication which can be exhausting if it forces you to refresh and then deletes your work. Fortunately we work in external editors to build our HTMLs before dropping them into templates but I feel like there should be a better fail-safe system when drafts are created. The auto-save can only save you so much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a steep learning curve but the juice is worth the squeeze

It's a simple (somewhat easy) solution to scheduling and organizing campaigns, newsletters, and event emails. It also acts as a solid rich text editor once you figure out how to use the templating system properly.

Marketo review by Jordan R.
Jordan R.

"Powerful integrated marketing technology"

What do you like best?

Marketo is an enterprise level marketing automation tool that allows companies to execute a marketing strategy across a variety of online/offline channels including email, webinars, events, social media, and more. I particularly like the Reports that are available, as well as the robust email editor and the ability to create Snippets and easily insert dynamic content.

What do you dislike?

Marketo has a steep learning curve, and sometimes can be too complicated for its own good. Additionally, every single asset has to be “approved” before put into use, which can be somewhat tedious.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is not the cheapest solution available. If you’re going to use it, use it to its fullest potential across all channels. Ask yourself if you’re ready to migrate your marketing efforts into a single platform. Additionally, integration with Salesforce is important, but required a bit of heavy lifting for the technical implementation. You may need to outsource your initial migration.

Marketo allows channel managers to operate within the same platform, thus providing visibility into results that everyone can easily access. In this way, it provides a lot of operational efficiencies for the business and allows actionable insights to occur quickly. It also allows for easy integration between channels, for example triggering a thank you email to attendees of a webinar. Or alternatively, a follow up email to people who signed up for a webinar but did not atttend. You can then pull reports for the performance of the program as a whole—not just email opens, or just webinar attendance, or just landing page white paper downloads, but a holistic view of the program.

Marketo review by Jennifer A.
Jennifer A.

"Terrible user-experience and awful customer support"

What do you like best?

I honestly had such a horrible experience with Marketo that I cannot recall anything but the negatives.

What do you dislike?

We struggled significantly trying to set up and use Marketo to accomplish the most basic tasks to function as a Marketing department. We took every means necessary to ensure a smooth integration with Marketo during the onboarding and training process but nothing went smoothly at all despite our efforts. We invested in the learning passports, flewa Marketo representative on-site, utilized the Marketo .docs and reached out to support for assistance for assistance but ran into one issue after the next.

Bringing a Marketo consultant on-site did not resolve our issues since she was unable to solve our email issues since she was unfamiliar with the 2.0 templates / editor. The lack of support we experienced throughout the duration of our relationship with Marketo was astounding with the longest support ticket lasting 45 days without a response.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Request a demo/trial of Marketo and HubSpot and you will quickly see user unfriendly Marketo is to do simple tasks such as preparing an email.

We were trying to elevate our emarketing efforts, utilize marketing automation, and increase our productivity/turn-around time.

Marketo review by Tatianna H.
Tatianna H.

"As a content manager and main email marketing creator, it's interesting to see the data that we get."

What do you like best?

I like the amount of data that can be gained from the work done. Email tracking, automation streams, and lead scoring are all amazing aspects that we never got with other ESPs. I also like that we gain the ability to A/B test and have dynamic and static content in emails that we can send to different audiences.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how long the setup is, nor do I enjoy going through such a manual process to set everything up. There seem to be more questions than answers when starting with Marketo. Also, we had a lot of trouble with our initial setup and our customer success person. With a small team and no dedicated person to run Marketo, it's a lot for the team to learn in a short amount of time. The way email creation is done is not ideal either in terms of easily creating and editing sections.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you provide you and your team a LOT of time to review, study, and implement Marketo. It's definitely not "plug and play" like other ESPs. It is more manual like Google Analytics.

Tracking! The data we hope to get from our customers through your platform gives us hope for better-targeted marketing and e-commerce.

Marketo review by Josh S.
Josh S.

"Marketo is central to our global marketing approach"

What do you like best?

The ability to understand each lead/customer in more detail, view their journey and optimise this based on specific trends of content and user engagement. How you can automate nurture and marketing in a tailored way for each prospect. Tracking lead lifeycycle and movement through the funnel, along with revenue attribution back to marketing. The ability to understand and qualify lead/customer engagement and handover to the sales team with all relevant information they need to make an informed touchpoint. The community of users is fantastic, really knowledgeable people who are always willing to help.

What do you dislike?

We have had issues with speed of the system in the years we've had in place. Although the guys in support are always willing to help.

Support can sometimes be slightly lacking with more complex requests, however the community and self-testing is really the best avenue for these types of scenarios

Account Based Marketing

Lead Lifecycle and Funnel tracking

Customer Retention programs

Sales and Marketing Alignment

Global Marketing nurture campaigns

Sales alerts for engaged leads

Data quality and automated data cleansing

Website Tracking and company tracking

Predictive marketing

Marketo review by Kristy M.
Kristy M.

"Partnership & Growth Focused"

What do you like best?

I am continually impressed by the Marketo Professional Services Team. They are responsive, thorough, and always thinking of the next thing in our evolution. This of course comes as a cost but I would not change our decision to use Professional Services.

Our Sales Executive is really legit. He is a true relationship manager and I feel like he cares genuinely about our success (Go Al Loges...Go!)

I love the software. It took me forever to just accept that it really was "that easy". I'd try to ask a serious question about something and try to over complicate the idea just to get a response "sure we can do that in one flow step". It's just very easy and powerful all at the same time!

What do you dislike?

I am not a fan of the "cases" at all. I don't like the ebb and flow of submitting trouble tickets via the Marketo Support page. The folks do respond in a timely manner and it's generally thorough but it's just clunky. The last thing that I want to do when I have a problem is go to a cumbersome web page and have this comment...wait...comment...wait process. It's just not ideal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If I were to look back - I would tell myself to be best friends with my CRM admin and really understand how CRM works today to better understand the level of customization and creativity that would be needed in our implementation. I would say that if you don't have a robust marketing team that consider a professional services partner and not being cheap will pay off HUGE - especially if you are new to Marketing Automation.

Marketo provides a TON of resources and while that is amazing - it is also overwhelming. You will want to be cautious to not rabbit trail! It's easy :)

Insights - We needed real time actionable insights to best position us for success in the engagement economy. Marketo provides more than most C-level folks can ingest.

There are so many benefits - increased sales efficiency, decrease operational efforts, improve the "right time, right person, with right content" problem, etc.

Marketo review by Kyle G.
Kyle G.

"Powerful and Customizable"

What do you like best?

There have been very few ideas that I have not been able to make come to fruition with the use of Marketo. We handle all of our communications as well both paid and organic efforts online. All of our landing pages are linked to Marketo and we can easily use the triggers and filters to get the right audience for each campaign. Marketo has many integrations, which allows it to easily fit into anyone's flow of work.

What do you dislike?

The UI/UX is so ugly it looks like it was made 10 years ago and never updated. This includes the forms and landing pages. We have ended up using a third party software to handle our landing pages and forms and chose one that had an integration with Marketo. Once the UI/UX is updated, this will be a much cleaner looking software, I hope. Sometimes our instance runs a little slow, but that might be just because of our database size. There are also some other very simple procedures that a ‘powerhouse’ like Marketo should have. The creation of new fields and syncing them to Salesforce is nightmare compared to Pardot and others. The ability to send in the prospect’s time zone is also something Pardot and Act-On have, but Marketo takes much more work. If you’re going to be a leader, don’t forget the small stuff.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the right choice for most companies. If you have "graduated" from simple email marketing campaigns, this is the route to go. Some other tools are too simple and will not handle certain tasks once your marketing efforts grow to a certain size. I have used several others, including Pardot, and Marketo is a step up for sure.

We are a global company with many marketing needs. We use Marketo to communicate with both clients and prospects as well as monitor all of our marketing efforts to make data-driven decisions. We have many campaigns going out at a time and many of them run indefinitely. Marketo helps us when we meet with leadership be able to answer the tough questions and get a good indicator of ROI of different efforts.

Marketo review by Maxwell J.
Maxwell J.

"Marketo - Best-in-Class Marketing Automation Software"

What do you like best?

I like how I am able to take members from my free weekly course campaign that I run and automatically place every member of that campaign into a weekly mailing list and I can attach all of the SFDC campaigns to this effort so that the members of this B2C channel can continue to learn more about our product.

What do you dislike?

There are a few features about Marketo that are great but that are already being provided by other companies on a bigger and better scale. i.e. Adobe Analytics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that most people know whether or not Marketo is the right step for their business. I think that Marketo is definitely a tool that should be used by bigger corporations and not so much small and emerging businesses.

I think that one of the major solutions behind Marketo is nurture.

Marketo review by Ellen L.
Ellen L.

"Gets the job done...sometimes"

What do you like best?

Marketo generally does what it's supposed to do and makes my life easier by programming mass emails in advance and reporting back on who opens them and when.

What do you dislike?

There is a lot. The user interface/editor leaves a lot to be desired. Did you know that the enter key doesn't do what you think it does? Apparently Shift+enter is the way to go. I am a fairly new user (past 6 months) and it just isn't as intuitive and dummy-proof as I would like. It's very easy to make a mistake and accidentally send things to the wrong list. I have no real clarity into how it overwrites a list when I update it (or does it not?) I also hate that it takes 15 minutes to program an email. Sometimes, I need to get messages out to all employees with some urgency and after the back and forth of internal edits, 15 more minutes to wait until delivery is not great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research on Marketo and other products. See if you can get a trial to evaluate it. I find it is glitchy and just all around cumbersome to use from many different angles. MAYBE it's because I'm a new user and don't know all the tricks yet but it's intimidatingly complex and I can't count on it working all the time.

I use Marketo for internal communications within a company with 1500 employees. It enables me to send emails from different members of our executive team without needing access to their inbox. It also allows me to send messages to different employee audience segments without having to manually enter each address into outlook. And it allows me to pull data on which emails get opened or not.

Marketo review by Matt G.
Matt G.

"Marketo is the Marketing Automation tool, by and for Marketers"

What do you like best?

* Ease of use via intuitive drag-and-drop Interface

* Superb documentation & active user community

* Reliable rest API and tons of product partners with integrations (Launchpoint)

* Email tools like snippets and surveys make creating amazing emails simple

* Effortless integration with Salesforce.com

* Built-in campaign analytics presented as in-app dashboards

* Absolutely incredible Professional Services team for implementation and ongoing development

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about Marketo. I've been using the tool daily for 8 years and have also been in a position to compare it to other similar tools and there is nothing in its class. The only thing that can be a bit challenging to navigate is that a number of features work best for B2B applications; but I've always been able to find workarounds. Another 'gotcha' is that the native Salesforce integration only integrates to standard Salesforce objects, so you may need to stage data on these objects or find middleware if the data you use for segmentations or personalization live on objects other than Contact, Opportunity, Account or Lead.

Recommendations to others considering the product

* Marketo may have a higher cost than other options you are evaluating. It is worth it. I hear all the time about industry colleagues that go the cheaper route and end up switching in 1-2 years anyway. Save the trouble and make the better choice up front.

* If you have complexity in your data model, multiple brands, or a homebrew CRM tool, implementation will be more complex. Consider professional services or a well-qualified 3rd party consultant with lots of Marketo background.

* If your database size is large (in the millions of records) it may take a few days or up to a week to complete your initial data sync. Performing mass data updates in your CRM later after the sync is turned on may cause a sync backlog. It is best to work with a solution architect to make sure your data is cleaned and staged appropriately to execute your desired campaigns after you launch. And set expectations that there will be a down period while your data syncs before you can begin executing on campaigns.

* Sophisticated multi-touch communication strategies using a mix of email, SMS, web personalization

* Inbound lead management and qualification

* Prospect nurturing

* Sales team tools (Marketo Sales Insights app and Outlook Plugin)

* Email deliverability support and improvement

* Integrating with 3rd party tools like Twilio, Neustar

Marketo review by Steve S.
Steve S.

"Marketo provides balance of full-featured performance with ease of use."

What do you like best?

1. Great ease of use for creation of campaigns. Marketo enables the use of templated landing pages and emails to make it easy to create messages and landing pages.

2. The engagement program capability makes it easy to create drip campaigns that deliver the right content at the right time in the sales process.

3. Webhooks and API capabilities that enable me to integrate Marketo and import and export to and from other applications.

4. There is a terrific user community that provides an opportunity to engage with others--both via face-to-face user group meetings as well as online. Other users are very willing to engage and provide answer and advice.

5. The progressive profiling capabilities enable shorter forms while maximizing data collection--I'm not asking users to provide information they've given us previously

6. There is tremendous flexibility--usually two or three ways to accomplish a task. More experienced users can come up with some really creative and innovative use cases.

7. UX enhancements and ABM capabilities provide for extended capabilities as marketing evolves.

What do you dislike?

1. System can be slow at peak load for complex dynamic list selections.

2. Documentation sometimes trails availability of new features.

3. User documentation is 'green" and doesn't print well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

First, keep in mind that any marketing automation tool is going to amplify the quality of your underlying marketing strategy. If you have a strong marketing strategy, you'll see more positive results. If your strategy is poor, marketing automation will ensure your poor program is more widely exposed--but probably won't give you more results. Its not a panacea--you still need to think about your marketing strategy before automating.

Second, you'll need a content creation strategy that feeds the nurturing engine. Marketo makes it very easy to offer content in exchange for registration data--but if you don't have the content to offer, you won't get the data.

Third, data quality is important. Plan to spend time either before or after go-live on clearing dead contacts from your database, appending missing data, etc.

The basic business problems are generating revenue and optimizing the results from marketing programs. I've used Marketo in two different industries and been able to align

In an IT consulting firm, the business problems centered around lead generation and campaign management. We needed to generate leads to keep our sales teams engaged and drive new revenue. Before Marketo, we would run a lead generation campaign--a webinar or event--and sales would get tied up handling only the most active prospects. By the time they got around to the rest, the lead was far less likely to convert.

The other nice use as an IT reseller was to be able to report to partners providing MDF or other marketing funds just what their investment was getting--instead of saying that we did a webinar and signed up X number of people, we could show the nurturing campaign, pipeline, lead status, and overall campaign results.

In a publishing environment, we used Marketo to help drive new registrations, new subscriptions, ad sales, and as part of our content delivery (syndicated white papers, webinar registrations, etc.)

Marketo review by Eli S.
Eli S.

"Avoid for Marketplaces"

What do you like best?

The interface is relatively intuitive. They have a solid community which is helpful (albeit you need to be specific).

What do you dislike?

The backend of the product is a mess. Customizations are hard fought. Support is terrible - they often tell us things will work when they have no basis for those claims.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For basic email marketing, lead scoring, nurturing, analytics, its a good tool.

We are using Marketo to send notifications via the backend of our marketplace - meaning we end up in the backend a lot. Marketo is quite the cookie cutter solution. If you are using it for straightforward email marketing like drip campaigns, nurturing streams, analytics, it is solid. Any customizations and you'll need help from a marketo consultant.

Marketo review by Kathleen M.
Kathleen M.

"Powerful, but big learning curve"

What do you like best?

We enjoy using the Landing Page builder and the email template creator. It's much easier than having to submit to our design team and then have developers create it.

What do you dislike?

It's a robust system, built on an older interface, so it's not as user friendly as, say, mailchimp or some of the other newer software out there.

There's a lot of little quirks that you have to get used to, for instance, sometimes you need to upload images before you start creating your email templates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research. It's costly but can be worth it depending on what you're looking for.

We mainly use it to create landing pages, send emails, and track customers. It's great to have everyone in one database, and view whether or not they've visited a certain page, opened a certain email, etc.

Marketo review by Mihail Cristian B.
Mihail Cristian B.

"Great automation tool, very complex - definetly the top marketing automation program"

What do you like best?

It's a very complex tool, you can do almost all marketing tasks and programs using this tool and it's easy to integrate with 3rd party tools.

The rule logic are very easy to learn and it's practically a joy to "play" with tasks in Marketo

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the rules can be quite tricky, it would be a great plus if they invest more in usability rules.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking into a great tool to automate very complex sort of programs and lead management (for a big database) this should be the tool you should go after. Even though some projects you encounter may prove challenging, I've personally learned that with a 2-3 days of self documentation you'll be able to properly execute them (even though your initial thoughts were: IMPOSSIBLE To DO)

- Demand Generation sourcing and tracking

- Nurturing Programs

- Onboarding Programs

- Lead Scoring and qualification

- All marketing program launches

- Product realeases

Marketo review by Mark F.
Mark F.

"Marketo is a fantastic product."

What do you like best?

Productivity is really key, simply couldn't support our marketing operation without it. New features such as the Marketo Sky UI will make a big difference. Generally very simple to learn and use, plus in recent years Marketo are really rounding out the product with development (faster platform) and acquisition (e.g. bizible)

What do you dislike?

I love the power of the reporting, but despite recent improvements it's still a bit clunky. Be patient tho - you can get great insights.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo should always be in your short list for selection. If you choose Marketo, as with any major new technology, spend some time planning the deployment, you'll see more sustainable ROI rather than just using it straight out. Get your processes, program types, scoring and nurturing plans in shape before deploying.

As mentioned before, productivity. Our operations team is relatively small, without Marketo we couldn't deliver all our goals. Our current area of focus is customer journey mapping, which the Opportunity Influence Analyzer is really helping.

Marketo review by Emanuela C.
Emanuela C.

"My experience with Marketo"

What do you like best?

- Workflow: the logic behind the workflows allows to automate manual activities

- Lead gen: we improved the engagement of the visitors on our website and we manage the entire lead generation process on Marketo integrated with our CRM.

- Programs: it is easy to create and manage emailing and nurture programs with the ability to set rules when the email should be sent.

- Forms: we are using Marketo forms and we embedded them on our website.

What do you dislike?

- Integration with Dynamics: after 3 years we still have some issues on the integration with MS Dynamics... the 2 systems are not well integrated.

- Support: sometimes we had some issues with getting quick replies from support.

- Landing pages: it is missing a validation workflow on the thank you pages (to be sure that those who will access the thank you page have successfully filled-out the form included in the landing page).

We are using Marketo across the whole organization to improve and automate our marketing activities. We are using it at corporate level as well as in each operation (US, UK, DACH, France, Italy, APAC, etc).

We improved ability to attract new leads and the engagement of visitors on our website.

Marketo review by arunkumar k.
arunkumar k.

"Marketo for Media groups"

What do you like best?

Marketo does a very good job in terms of Media groups marketing, being a social media person who does videos for youtube, Me and my brother needed some kind of marketing, these people come in handy to help with marketing and other businees analytics for our channel, the stats they provide and they ways and techniques used to analyze and improve our business were great. we could almost gain a whole 7% in the ratings and views on our channel. Since we were in a standard plan for the marketing we didnot get a personaliztion on the plan, but still they turned out to be good.

What do you dislike?

Marketo people do it better but still it seems a little expensive side for the small and start up business, though they are comparitively cheap still, the charges they put on you and the income you get from their marketing, they ratio which is very low, it may be different in terms of big business. In terms of the customer assitance they still be the best but it seems a little bit of long process to be in touch with a real person on line.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I Feel like making the cost to profit ratio for the user end may help them with the ir business.

We used marketo to do marketing for our youtube channel, it worked great for a good extent we could really see the pike in the stats like the views and the traffic through the channel.It might have worked a great way with greater difference in the long run.

Marketo review by Andy V.
Andy V.

"Most potential, market leader, but recently buggy"

What do you like best?

Marketo is the most comprehensive and enterprise-friendly tool on the market.

What do you dislike?

Over the last 18 months, the product has had more bugs and P1 failures than I have become accustomed to. 2018 has been an improvement over 2017 though, which means things are moving in the right direction.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo comes with it's fair share of bugs like every other product, but unlike all of it's competitors, this is the only product focused on enabling enterprises to leverage marketing automation. Additionally, Marketo Sky will be a game-changer that will really put some distance between Marketo and it's competition.

We use Marketo for our lifecycle management, reporting, lead engagement tracking, and email marketing.

Marketo review by Rachel T.
Rachel T.

"Can't Imagine Using Anything Else"

What do you like best?

Marketo is a very intuitive platform. You can make nurture campaigns as simple or as complex as your business calls for. Support is great, and you really get the sense that the organization is listening to its customers. Also, they have a great onboarding program and robust user community. Additionally, they are constantly adding new functionality and have some really great offerings around personalization and ABM.

What do you dislike?

Landing page and email building were recently changed to make it "easier" for teams to crank out both. However, they took a bad WYSIWYG editor (for landing pages) and turned it into something you absolutely must know some HTML/CSS to work with. Similarly, emails are supposed to be easier to deal with, but not really. Finally, forms, especially compared to Hubspot, look outrageously dated and take serious custom work to make them look half way decent. `

We have complex sales cycles that are very high touch. They require everyone to feel like we are speaking directly to their industry/role. Marketo lets us easily do this with set-it-and-forget-it nurture streams.

Marketo review by Administrator

"Lots of great features that work most of the time"

What do you like best?

There's a significant amount of complexity in your smart campaign logic that Marketo can support. It does the basics like email and landing page creation well, and the ability to A/B test has gotten significantly easier over time.

What do you dislike?

While you can get pretty complex with your logic, there are certain things you can't do, like basic division or multiplication formulas. You can add or subtract from scores, but I'm surprised that after all these years, you still can't do anything beyond that. Advanced analytics can also use a bit of work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you run through every single line item on the contract and ask for an explanation and a demo of each feature to ensure that you're getting what you expect. Package and feature names seem to change all of the time and what you thought you were buying at the beginning of your consideration phase might not have the same name when you're ready to buy.

It's helping us to better manage our database and report on how our marketing campaigns are performing from the bottom to the top of the funnel.

Marketo review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Does what it needs to, but still has a lot of room to improve"

What do you like best?

Setting up basic automation, whether it's triggering scoring or emails through activities, works sufficiently. However, the key word here is "basic."

What do you dislike?

There's a bit of feature bloat that seems to have led to half-baked features that lack functionality. For example, I would love to use the nurture program type for our nurture streams, but I'm limited to sending emails once a week on a specific day per stream, so we've had to resort to using the default programs and smart campaigns to push leads through a nurture.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since they've moved to a-la-carte pricing, triple check and make sure you know which features you're getting as part of your contract. Feature names change all the time, so for long-time users, this is even more important.

Prioritizing leads for our sales team was the main problem we wanted to solve, so scoring has been important in our implementation. We've also been able to give better visibility into our marketing campaigns by passing program engagement data into our crm.

Marketo review by User

"So far so good"

What do you like best?

Setting up programs with the help of Marketo's professional services has been easier than expected. Some of the structural things felt most complicated but with the help of our professional services person, we feel more at ease getting our first programs set up.

What do you dislike?

The edit environment - this is not as intuitive as I expected. Coming from Constant Contact where you can upload, crop and resize an image within the platform, drag and drop within the WYSIWYG editor. Deleting text elements - leaves a white box which makes you think it's not been deleted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your CRM data is very clean and you have your segments clearly defined in advance - make sure the fields in your CRM drive your segmentation rather than campaigns or lists that are built outside of your CRM.

Personalization, segmentation, the ability to set up regularly scheduled email programs vs batch and blast. We have not launched anything yet so we have not realized any benefits.

Marketo review by Francisco I.
Francisco I.

"Marketing es una herramienta muy útil para automatizar muchas gestiones de marketing"

What do you like best?

El poder de la plataforma "out of the box" Marketo no hace mucho. Requiere una planificación cuidadosa, diseño, personalización, configuración, etc. para reflejar cómo está estructurado y opera su negocio. Nos llevó más de un año desplegar completamente Marketo en toda nuestra organización global. Pero ahora que está alineado con la forma en que vamos al mercado (y cómo informamos sobre nuestra efectividad general), Marketo se ha convertido en la plataforma de marketing central (y más poderosa) para nosotros. Un elemento fundamental de todo esto son nuestros flujos de trabajo que asignan, enrutan, clasifican y rastrean la progresión de cualquier ventaja que se convierte en un producto listo para ventas. Las alertas en tiempo real y la capacidad de hacerlas lo más detalladas posible utilizando tokens variables son lo que realmente nos alineó con nuestros equipos de ventas.

También vale la pena mencionar que la cantidad de clientes / usuarios apasionados de Marketo es parte de una comunidad en línea muy dinámica y activa.

What do you dislike?

Las funciones de Marketo son muy superiores a otros productos de automatización de marketing. Las únicas desventajas son que los tiempos de sincronización pueden ser lentos si hay grandes actualizaciones de datos, bastante comunes entre los productos de automatización de Marketo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pruebe la versión de prueba si no está seguro acerca de su necesidad de automatización de marketing, pero Marketo es ideal si su empresa realmente lo necesita.

Marketo facilita la organización de cada cliente por tamaño, industria y presupuesto. Mover los contactos de los clientes potenciales al rendimiento real de la inversión fue un proceso fluido con Marketo, y la estrategia empresarial en curso también es fácil de supervisar gracias a este programa.

Marketo review by Chris S.
Chris S.

"Marketo is a very robust marketing platform."

What do you like best?

I really like how much you can do with Marketo. Its base marketing product is fantastic in terms of what you can accomplish with the platform. From creating campaigns, sending responsive email, and tracking the success. But what's even better is the integration with so many other tools such as Salesforce, On24, Vidyard and so many more. Marketo is a great product and it relatively easy to dive into right out of the box.

What do you dislike?

There are a few things that I dislike about Marketo. As some others have mentioned, the platform can be very slow sometimes. When there's a lot of data syncing between Marketo and Salesforce it can take quite some time and put a backlog in activity data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo can do wonders for your Marketing Team!

We are currently using Marketo for as much as possible. We have it integrated with Salesforce so that we can track a customers and prospect activity. We create hundreds of email campaigns throughout the year to drive lead conversion and track responses. Marketo's integration with our webinar host On24 has been a great way for us to show our thought leadership within our space. I could go on and on with how we are routing alerts and tasks to different parts of our sales team based on the type of lead, their lead score, location, etc. The best part is that there are so many other things that Marketo does that we have not utilized yet, the potential is fantastic.

Marketo review by Emilee C.
Emilee C.

"Powerful tool, horrible UI"

What do you like best?

There are a lot of possibilities in Marketo. From the way you build a campaign to every detail of the campaign. For this reason, you can customize you campaign virtually any way you want. They focus on what their good at and don't necessarily try to do everything. There are a lot of integrations with industry leaders (although I have not tried many personally).

What do you dislike?

The user interface is very difficult to understand. Nothing is intuitive so it takes A LOT of time in the tool to understand basic elements of the tool. The other part of this issue is the lack of accurate and detailed product documentation. You end up trapped in the tool spending an hour completing a task that should have taken 10 minutes. There is virtually no way to master the tool unless you can learn from someone who already knows it well (your account manager or someone on your company side).

Additionally, we were promised a lot on the sales side which ended up not being true. Marketo customer service in all departments (especially after working with HubSpot for 3 years) has been shockingly slow and across the board unhelpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend the extra money to go through live training with their staff. It is the only way you will learn the software.

It truly is a tool that scales to the size of our client's needs. Being an agency, we wanted to offer our clients variety. One tool is not going to be a fit for everyone. Having Marketo in our portfolio allows us to offer larger clients a marketing automation platform that fits their audience size.

Marketo review by Oscar A.
Oscar A.

"Gran solución de marketing integral"

What do you like best?

Es de gran utilidad para conseguir más y mejores ventas con poco esfuerzo. Permite automatizar tareas que a veces son un poco pesadas como puede ser: enviar correos, analizar y seleccionar clientes según diferentes variables o gestionar las ventas para orientarlas al cliente. De esta forma podemos publicar contenido de una manera muy fácil.

What do you dislike?

La desventaja más grande es el precio del producto, ya que es un precio bastante elevado si lo comparamos con la competencia. Hay veces que hay problemas de compatibilidad del software, de esta manera costará tener todo en funcionamiento de forma correcta. Algunos sistemas CRM también pueden tener algún fallo en la integración.

Los problemas que puede solucionar Marketo, si se utiliza correctamente, es un crecimiento progresivo del trabajo que estemos llevando a cabo. Se pueden realizar emails más completos para una mejor comprensión, siendo más sencillo a la hora de crear y personalizar los correos. Si se comprende el funcionamiento rápido, puede ser un programa muy valioso para el trabajo.

Marketo review by Lisa H.
Lisa H.

"Powerful tool to automate Marketing"

What do you like best?

I like that there are multiple ways to accomplish something in Marketo. The Marketo Community is the best resource - I'm always learning from how others build campaigns and programs and will always get a response when I ask questions.

What do you dislike?

I find Marketo easy to use when I'm in it on a day to day basis. However, it's easy to forget the quirks and tricks if you're not a regular user. It's not always intuitive, and I struggle with some of the reporting functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the size of your database and the number of programs you expect to run. Marketo is a great tool but I often see small companies purchase it when a cheaper tool would meet their needs.

If you do go with Marketo, the #1 thing to keep in mind is which fields to sync from SFDC -- you don't need them all! Be intentional about which fields you need for marketing purposes - syncing unnecessary fields will slow down the performance of your instance.

We use it for website downloads, newsletter and email programs, lead lifecycle management, and reporting. Paired with Salesforce, Marketo is the hub of our marketing activities and lead data.

Marketo review by Micaela W.
Micaela W.

"Powerful, customizable tool"

What do you like best?

Marketo's reporting functionality is very good compared to other software I have used. I love the ability to use webhooks and the number of integrations available. The campaigns are possible with the the "add choice" steps especially.

What do you dislike?

Clunky UI, can be very slow to load as well. Takes training to understand the system well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It depends largely on how you want to sync information to your CRM. Do your due diligence, ask for a sandbox instance, and ask a ton of questions to make sure it has the functionality you need.

We use marketo to send all company emails as well as using their forms and sending leads to our CRM.

Marketo review by Robert S.
Robert S.

"Automated marketing for midsize organizations"

What do you like best?

If you are a growing business, then the use of Marketo is a definite must. The way that sales contacts are put into a pipeline for easy tracking will make it easy to focus on your product or service, not on how to get more buyers on the hook.

The customer service Marketo has to offer is some of the best in the world. I have called with questions about how to onboard a client, how to sort contacts, how to update API settings for a custom analytics dashboard...each and every one of my questions has been answered in a professional manner. I do not spend much time on call waiting, and the answers I need are quickly provided by a friendly customer support rep when I call in.

What do you dislike?

The training materials for a new user may not help if you are not familiar with marketing automation. There is a learning curve here, so make sure that you or any employee or contractor that will use Marketo on your behalf is familiar with marketing lingo.

There are a lot of tutorial videos available from the knowledge base, and most questions I have seem to get answered by third parties (Stack Overflow in particular), so this is not too much of a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out the trial options if you are not sure about your need for marketing automation, but Marketo is great if your business is in need of it.

My client had thousands of contacts that were totally unsorted. Marketo made it easy to organize each client by size, industry and budget. Moving contacts from potential customers to actual return on investment was a fluid process with Marketo, and ongoing business strategy is also easy to oversee thanks to this tool.

Marketo review by Gillian L.
Gillian L.

"Very positive (but expensive) experience"

What do you like best?

We really enjoyed using Marketo when it was outsourced to us by one of our clients. We found it very easy to set-up A/B campaigns, program emails and templates, and manage the analytics/reporting aspect of multiple email campaigns.

What do you dislike?

Marketo was very expensive and as a result, our client dropped it after a year. In addition, set-up was a total headache. We were constantly hit with additional fees for help in setting up an API between said client's product registration database and this tool and still wound up hiring a consultant to finish up the installation. Customer service was very hard to get a hold of and constantly reminded us that we were not paying for the upper echelon of customer service... a lame excuse for either not responding to our inquiries for days or giving us half-baked responses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your agency partner or in-house user has significant automation tool experience... this is a bit of a Ferrari so you don't want to "learn to drive" on a tool this sophisticated. Be very very upfront with the sales rep at Marketo about your needs regarding APIs, implementation, and level of customer service to avoid disappointment and extra fees later on.

Helped us to launch multiple, highly segmented marketing campaigns on behalf of one of our clients. Helped us to increase customer satisfaction and begin cross-selling and up-selling efforts on behalf of their dealer network.

Marketo review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Difficult/ Time Consuming Onboarding, Results TBD"

What do you like best?

As we are still in the midst of our pilot, if the program does manage to to do what Marketo salespeople claim it is capable of, then it will be an indisposable tool for multi-touch attribution. The email and landing page editing tools are also intuitive and relatively easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The UI could definitely use some work - confusing and not very intuitive overall, strange organization of various components. Terminology used for channels, campaigns, tags, etc. is outside of the standard marketing vernacular and thus also confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure that when you negotiate your onboarding SOW you are sure to be very specific about the support you will need in getting everything set up - you will inevitably require more support hours than anticipated.

Thre were 2 main reasons we brought on this platform:

1. Multi-touch attribution

2. Omni-channel marketing capability

Seeing as the platform is able to receive data from many channels but not automate campaign setup per results and trigger actions from channels (say, social for example), I don't know if you can call this a try omnichannel marketing tool. The only channel that can really be automated is email, and in absence of the ability to automate delivery of other channels in sync, true omnichannel marketing is not possible.

As to multi-touch attribution, again, the possibility is there, but in spite of the time its taken so far to get everything integrated, it is yet to be determined if this is a viable solution for this need.

Marketo review by User in Information Services
User in Information Services

"Best MAT available"

What do you like best?

What I like most is the ability to create dynamic emails depending on specific pre-set segmentations. This allows you to send emails to multiple personas without the need to create a ton of different emails with the same basic messaging.

What do you dislike?

The Content AI tool seems like an interesting feature, but the fact that you don't have the ability to change the font means we can't really use it as it doesn't follow our branding guidelines. I haven't checked it out recently, but this should be adjusted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can be used as a simple MAT or it can be created to be used for complex email sends. I'd recommend either having someone in-house or getting a consultant to help set up all of the integrations with your CRM and get all of the operational aspects of it set up. The tool is pretty self-explanatory, but there are a lot of moving parts and having an expert will make things that much easier to start generating leads.

My specific function is using Marketo to generate leads, promote events, send out product updates/releases, etc. Basic communications with prospects and customers. It has helped us generate a steadily growing number of MQLs via email marketing.

Marketo review by Andrea M.
Andrea M.

"Miglior software di marketing automation!"

What do you like best?

Marketo offre una piattaforma flessibile che consente di creare qualsiasi esperienza. Con la sua vasta gamma di funzionalità, consente agli utenti di plasmare il percorso del cliente per ottenere una grande esperienza, pratiche analisi e parametri di business e per creare visibilità nei processi di marketing.

Marketo è uno strumento di marketing in grado di amplificare l'impatto di ogni altra attività di marketing dell'azienda.

What do you dislike?

Marketo non è una soluzione "pronta all'uso". (Neanche le altre piattaforme lo sono, quindi non è uno svantaggio).

È possibile collegare il sistema e farlo funzionare in pochissimo tempo, ma l'implementazione di Marketo richiede abilità, esperienza e dedizione .

Alcuni dei punti salienti sono:

- Aumentare le acquisizioni dei clienti del 30% identificando le offerte "nascoste" nel database

- Migliorare la fidelizzazione dei clienti del 40% creando un'esperienza coinvolgente.

- Allineamento di vendite e marketing creando trasparenza nelle prestazioni e collegando le attività di marketing alle Entrate.

Marketo review by Stephanie W.
Stephanie W.

"The only marketing automation solution I use."

What do you like best?

Intuitive UI. Simple to set up email, landing pages, track successes. Allows for template creation. Easy to integrate with SFDC and the most popular webinar programs. Great customer support. I've turned down job offers from companies that don't use Marketo. I switched from Eloqua to Marketo back in 2004 and have never looked back. I've implemented Marketo at the last 4 companies I've been with and will continue to advocate for this tool wherever I go.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way for me to copy my set up from one company and take it with me when I change jobs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stay away from Eloqua, HubSpot & Pardot.

I have control over my landing pages, email, lead scoring and management, internal notifications and all else that makes me look like a marketing rockstar. It is so easy to use that spinning up a new email campaign takes only as long as it takes me to write the copy. Managing the system is a breeze and doesn't require a lot of hands-on work.

Marketo review by Elizabeth B.
Elizabeth B.

"Great for data management and email automation"

What do you like best?

The flexibility of the software. Of course, no software is going to enable you to do every single thing your brain can come up with, but Marketo comes pretty close! We are able to market like never before through engaging streams of content and gather data through engagement programs and progressive profiling. Having our leads database, emails, engagement streams, and landing pages all in one tool enable us to really streamline our campaigns.

What do you dislike?

We see lags when loading smart lists and reports. Of course there can be some lag when pulling a very large list or a list with many filters, but even with simple lists sometimes there is a longer lag than I would have expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the community and Marketo support. The people on the community are wonderful resources, and if you can't find the answer there, Marketo support is fantastically able to answer questions and solve problems.

Our primary objective has been to consolidate marketing efforts by integrating our database with lead prospecting through some truly wonderful engagement programs. Having our database integrated is bringing us closer and closer to presenting a holistic view of what our leads receive from us and how they engage with us. We are still early in our adoption; we have many plans to further realize the benefits Marketo will offer to our business for the future.

Marketo review by Joseph M.
Joseph M.

"Best Marketing Automation Software on the Market"

What do you like best?

It's hard to choose one thing about Marketo that I love. That being said, I find their software to be one of the most intuitive out there. Without any training, you could set up and send an email within minutes. The way the platform is set up allows for users to quickly find what they need and execute complex campaigns. The Marketo Community is one of the greatest resources you can use to educate yourself about the tool and collaborate with other users.

What do you dislike?

Their lack of truly responsive landing pages is a big dislike. This should be corrected with upcoming releases in May and June. I am not the biggest fan of their integration with SugarCRM, but Sugar is working to build a better connector. I wish that Marketo would support this CRM better, especially since SFDC aquired ExactTarget/Pardot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Choose the right partner for implementation and be patient. Marketing Automation is a journey not a destination. With the wrong guide and an overly aggressive timeline, you will be setting yourself up for failure.

We are consolidating our Marketing and Sales databases. This allows each department to utilize data collected by the other for the first time. This happens in near real time and it is forcing us to begin aligning goals and process more.

Marketo review by Devraj G.
Devraj G.

"The Marketing Automation solution for any marketing team"

What do you like best?

Customization:

- The flexibility of Marketo’s tools (especially smart campaigns, programs, tokens, and segmentation) allows users to customize and create processes to meet any marketing team's need.

Ease of use:

- The creation of email and landing page templates and the ability to clone programs and campaigns allow for both time-saving and fewer errors in creation

Resources:

- World-class Community enabling users to come together to share new product ideas, post discussions asking for guidance on overcoming marketing challenges, and share tips/tricks to get the most out of their Marketo investment.

- Product Docs allow in-depth documentation and examples on every tool available in Marketo.

- Marketo also offers a Certification program allowing users to showcase their Marketo proficiency

What do you dislike?

- Small bugs here and there, but you expect that with any marketing automation platform.

- Navigation could be a bit easier when jumping from different areas of the platform to others and having more access to perform functions from different areas (ex. cannot run “Lead Actions” from smart campaign’s results tab, program’s members tab, or Lead Details page)

- Product Docs, while allowing great in-depth documentation, tend to be out-of-date for product features that have since been updated

- Support will respond to a case fairly promptly, but sometimes it can take a few days for a final resolution

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Be prepared to spend adequate time in the first few months learning the basics of the system and researching the Community and Product Docs. There is going to be a steep learning curve here, but that is expected with implementing a system with such robust capabilities

- Be prepared to have Sales commit some time during the implementation of Marketo to make sure both teams are aligned in terms of lead scoring, lead flow, lead assignment, and sales alerts

- Sales would sometimes be unimpressed with the quality of leads Marketing would send over. Marketo’s lead scoring allows us to customize criteria for scoring and send the most qualified leads over to Sales. This means that the prospects Sales does contact will be much more receptive to our message and we can “strike while the pan is hot”.

- Nothing is worse than sending an email or building a program and having the wrong fields update or the wrong campaigns trigger. Marketo allows you to be proactive and see which assets, campaigns, and fields are being used by others to ensure careful building and less troubleshooting when things don’t happen as you expect them to.

Marketo review by Jason H.
Jason H.

"Marketo has changed my life as a marketer!"

What do you like best?

Of the many great thing I could say about Marketo, I would have to say the most impressive thing is how they listen to their customers and add the features that the people who use the system request. Every month there is a new release that has great new features. I have been using Marketo for almost 4 years and I have seen it evolve so much adding new features and improving user experience.

What do you dislike?

There is not much I dislike, but if I had to choose something it would be that at times the system can be slow when doing complicated smart lists. The basic reporting is OK but could use some improvement. As a consultant single sign on for multiple instances would be very useful It looks like project Orion should solve some of the performance issues

Recommendations to others considering the product

GET IT!

I am a consultant so this changes depending on client need, but usually it revolves around being more efficient with their marketing and being able to report on the success.

Marketo review by Devin L.
Devin L.

"Just scratching the surface of this powerful marketing automation solution"

What do you like best?

The interface is very easy to use even when setting up complex programs. There is a logic to how you go about things that follow the flow of most campaign design processes while helping ensure that you are covering all aspects of the campaign needed. It integrates seamlessly with our CRM (Salesforce), which makes the whole experience much easier to use. Workflow rules are both easy to design and easy to execute through the interface by making changes to leads both within Marketo and within the CRM.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve for users as well as administrators. There are plenty of resources online to help but one should not expect to load Marketo into your process and immediately log in and start building out complex programs. Some of the reporting could be expanded. For instance, it should be simpler to pull a report of individual member actions to an email without having to run a report for a portion and then the member list for the other and then combining it to get what we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you vet and select a strong integration partner that not only helps you implement but also provides administrative and user level training.

We are working towards aligning our Marketing Department more closely with Sales by having our activities focused on revenue goals. Marketo will be a significant part of that goal. We are also in the middle of a project to implement buyer's journey and more fully automate lead management.

Marketo review by Erik G.
Erik G.

"Marketo sets the bar high for other marketing automation platforms"

What do you like best?

Marketo is a cloud-based marketing engagement platform built with marketers in mind above all else. The interface is easy to use and is very intuitive so new users are able to quickly learn how to harness its power. Marketo has enabled us to quickly develop and execute campaigns in minimal time (campaign cloning is AWESOME) with little reliance on technical/coding skills. My advice: Don't skimp on integration because when configured correctly...this thing is a marketing beast.

What do you dislike?

The Smart List reports can be extremely slow to run depending on the complexity of the request so you are encouraged to simplify the request as much as possible. The data visualizations generated in the analytics could stand for a serious refresh.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Clearly define your business objectives and any current pain points and then eliminate providers who do not meet all of your needs. Be thorough in your due diligence and ask all the use case questions you can think of. Invest in a proper integration. You will spend more upfront but it's well worth it in the long run.

Marketo has solved a number of issues.

1. Efficiency: we operate with a lean marketing team so building and executing campaigns quickly is a must. Marketo allows you to quickly build the campaign or clone a previous one and can set up the entire series of messages (using flow steps) in just a few short minutes. In no time you can have a full-blown multi-email campaign launched.

2. Behavioral based targeting: Trigger campaigns are a breeze to set up and with the use of advanced Smart Campaign logic, 3rd party data integrations and the Marketo Munchkin code, you can get wicked crazy with your engagement efforts.

Marketo review by Borislav K.
Borislav K.

"Marketo stands out of the crowd"

What do you like best?

I used Aprimo for a number of years, was an admin in the system and we moved to Marketo in 2013. The product has been improved dramatically over the last few years and it is now at a stage where it can be described with just one word - superb. There is a great community and help articles online, it is super easy and quick to get answers to all your questions, from beginner user to advanced.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps, I could say when there is an announcement of a new product feature, it sometimes takes a while till that feature becomes available but on the other hand, i guess it is not always easy for them to deliver as fast as we would like it to be. Also, the Marketo University, a learning portal for the product is still in the process of development, addition of the new content is a bit slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo should seriously be considered by any organisation today, small or big.

Our main objective is demand generation, growing our leads database, nurturing of our leads and marketing alignment with sales. The main benefit we have with this platform is one centralised system for all marketing campaigns.

Marketo review by Administrator

"Higher Ed experience"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to create flows based on actions. And that flows are more than just sending emails, it can change data, update status, etc.. which is helpful to continue further communications.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the integration with salesforce. Any new field that is created will automatically be created in Marketo, which is great. The problem comes when a field name is editted/updated, that is a manual adjustment in Marketo. (This is mostly an issue because we are still in the building process). Since we are in higher ed, we tend to speak with student's parents.. this has been an uphill battle to communicate with them because we previously didn't consider them as individual records but have to treat them as so in this system.

Having access to an activity log is great, when we encounter an issue with a specific record it easy to search to see what went wrong.

Marketo review by Anna B.
Anna B.

"A Very Robust MAP"

What do you like best?

Once you're familiar with the program, the world is your oyster. It's extremely robust and can handle any marketing challenge you throw at it. I use it for email campaigns, nurture drips, real-time notifications on accounts and much more.

What do you dislike?

The program is not intuitive and really requires training to use it to its full potential. It's something that can take awhile to master. I don't know if it was my instance specifically, but things would break a fair amount and custom patches would have to be created for us by Marketo in order to fix the problem, which was really frustrating.

I used it for inbound marketing, nurturing prospects, breaking into accounts, and monitoring warm accounts. It has allowed the sales reps to focus on the accounts they are most likely to close, keep in touch with every account in their funnel, and help with reporting.

Marketo review by Administrator in Entertainment
Administrator in Entertainment

"Marketo - Endless possibilities or endless confusion? "

What do you like best?

Essentially there's only little that you can't do with Marketo. You can set up email automation any way you want after you master the basics as long as you have all their nomenclature down from smart campaigns to smart lists and beyond. They are also willing to work with you and give you feedback and solutions to a problem or extra add-on you need. The organization of their matrix is pretty intense, and although the parameters might seem little annoying at first, it really does make you double check the work and make sure you are using the program correctly.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I wonder if Marketo is putting me in constant rabbit holes. I follow the steps, expect one result and then get a different result. Campaigns will launch before its scheduled time or other times not at all. The reports you have to build yourself and then you still have to keep refreshing. Their event app is okay. Marketo has its own language and navigating it at the beginning is a bit challenging. Once you get the hang of it, everything starts making sense though. It seems that when you want to get something done with Marketo's team there's always an extra price to pay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really do your research when implementing an automation software. Also test and play with Marketo before taking the video lessons as it will be more helpful to ask the right questions when you know where you are getting stuck.

We use Marketo to streamline email automation and lead generation with our CRM software. We realize the potential that this product brings and it really opened our eyes on how we can get more advanced with automation and collect more qualified leads. We're also a lot closer with our sales team now. No more butting heads.

Marketo review by Siena W.
Siena W.

"Marketo is not for the faint of heart"

What do you like best?

When (and only when) it's working, Marketo is a very powerful tool that can run a lot of complex marketing automation functions. You can customize a lot of workflows that when they work, can feel like magic.

What do you dislike?

The product feels like it was built without any customers in mind. The UI is pretty outdated, the product stalls/errors out almost daily, basic functions are different across different parts of the product making it pretty hard to use, and it often feels like you need to do 10 steps to accomplish 1 thing. The learning curve is also extremely high and admins are often bottlenecks for projects.

We use Marketo for email marketing, lead scoring, lead routing, database management and other demand gen programs. It's nice to have one central hub to manage all of that before passing the info to our CRM.

Marketo review by Darrell A.
Darrell A.

"Robust tool, steep learning curve, supportive community"

What do you like best?

Marketo is a robust platform that allows for sophisticated marketing automation and reporting capabilities for companies at various stages of demand generation maturity. The SFDC integration is deep and well thought-out, the community "Marketo Nation" is a very supportive and helpful network of marketers.

What do you dislike?

There are two learning curves - the technicality of the platform and the way in which each organization implements the system. It is difficult to hit the ground running without a seasoned user - as well as it is challenging to optimize a system that has not been well documented. Also, it is likely that in rushing to see short term ROI, users will setup the foundation, tagging, and categorization parts of the platform incorrectly which cause major headaches in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Those considering Marketo or any other enterprise marketing automation platform should have a clear demand generation strategy with targets, objectives, and headcount to support.

Our primary initiatives are demand generation, nurturing, and ROI reporting as well as marketing and sales alignment. The benefits we have realized are a central system for all marketing campaigns and reports and a streamlining of email and nurturing processes.

Marketo review by Akshay H.
Akshay H.