Marketo
Badge 1411046837

Marketo

394 8.3 / 10
Watch a Demo
Powerful and easy marketing automation software that helps marketing and sales professionals drive revenue and improve marketing accountability.

Marketo Reviews (394)

• I'm used both Marketo and Eloqua extensively. I have been admin over both systems for the last 2 years. Having used Eloqua, the "Cadillac" of marketing automation I've... Read More
    0 gnyat9kym4qs1hnvjvxmtnnhjz glhfv0qemtvn86ob mkrsakmjfzgmcvij f69yvyfm hbvnyc
    Ben B.
    Administrator in Financial Services
  • Marketo offers a lot of features to help businesses take their online marketing efforts to new heights via email markting, web marketing (including landing pages,... Read More
    0 5r4eh71wo2jfaw7q5yemhdbn6fzbasoqfm2zhdrnjwubadd6djhqqskzhg4ese0ek4vnfecouc4w
    Michele A.
    Administrator in E-Learning

Flexible and powerful MAP with (nearly) unlimited potential

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use of Marketo. I know I can hand a login to almost anyone on our team, give them a few hours of instructions and they will be able to get in the platform and start doing what they need quickly. The out-of-box solutions are solid, and there is even more that you can do if you are comfortable with web programming.

What do you dislike?

There are more glitches and bugs than I would expect from a software company of this size. While there usually aren't any game-breaking bugs, there are enough that it can get annoying sometimes (e.g. Importing lists of leads sometimes crashes my browser... I've figured out the specific step and how to avoid it, but it still should have been fixed at some point). In addition, some of the code generated through the GUI that Marketo offers for landing pages and email design is sloppy and hard to work with/edit. If you only plan on using their tools, you'll be ok; or if you only plan on coding all the elements yourself and importing the html, you'll be ok; its just very difficult to edit the code they have generated as it tends to use in-line style definitions in a very sloppy manner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a solid platform with a much more aggressive development schedule than the competition. Since they are a completely stand-alone company you don't get many of the delays/drama that you get with a MAP that is a subsidiary of another platform. This allows for a product roadmap that is cleaner and more focused on marketing automation.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We needed to deliver emails, track leads and behaviors and interact with our CRM in an automated, rule-driven fashion. The email abilities have been fantastic, and the automation integration with our CRM are invaluable.

Marketo - Not Just Your Email Delivery Tool, Automate for Success

What do you like best?

The bread and butter of Marketo lies in it's ability to track programs from creation to execution. The tool comes with standard program templates that allow you to easily get up and running for your basic email and landing page programs, but it also allows you to track success and engagement across programs like webinars, events, web pages and multi-step or channel campaigns. I like how easy it is to create custom stages so you can easily track each stage of your marketing/sales funnel across different programs/channels. The built-in reports also give you easy visibility into the success of specific programs as well as the resulting pipe contribution and actions taken by the sales team once they have completed the programs call-to-action.

Marketo also makes it easy to track and alert sales reps of lead activity and build out a number of operational programs to ensure data consistency and communication between the marketing and sales teams as well as their associated tool sets.

What do you dislike?

Marketo is not the tool for you if you're simply looking for program management. The programs and tracking available is very in-depth, but it lacks key features to do social marketing or to track content creation/strategy. They have added features such as a campaign calendar, but the layout is hard to understand and leaves marketing teams resorting to a Google calendar or similar feature to track campaign sequencing and deliverables.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please consider looking into a better support package or ensuring you have a resource available with a deeper knowledge of Marketo implementation and program setup.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We initially looked at Marketo for a better email tool, but it's now our main platform to manage success of most (if not all) programs as well as look at key funnel metrics such as cost per lead, lead lifecycle movement and opportunity influence.

Since implementation, we have realized that Marketo is an easier way to link program success to more targeted funnel metrics and it also has the feature set available to further sales enablement and proper alignment with our marketing efforts.

Joining the Marketo Army

What do you like best?

I have been using Marketo for 4+ years now at 2 different employers, so what I liked most then are now are slightly different. Then: the usability, not-so-steep learning curve, drag and drop functionality (no coding required to set up campaigns and write lists), and incredibly support (both from Marketo... and the Marketo Community once that feature was added). Now: I love the monthly updates. Marketo really does listen to its customers and implements ideas/changes that the community feels are most important. The innovation at Marketo is at top-speed and the company is constantly churning out new products and modifying it's existing product to keep with market needs and trends. The majority of this review is based on my use of Marketo from 2010-early 2014 at my previous employer. I will update this review later this year, early next year to encompass my experience at this employer.

What do you dislike?

I think that the reporting feature could be better. Reports can take a while to run (a long while) depending on the amount of granularity you are trying to get. And I have found that running reports with the time setting "all-time" seem to get stuck quite often and not run properly, causing me to pull manual reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will take dedicated time for someone brand new to the system to learn the in's and out's, especially if you are connecting to a CRM (like Salesforce). They will need to understand how information passes back and forth between the systems to ensure data integrity, so be sure to plan ample time for the person to learn.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Being able to automate campaigns based on triggered steps saves tons of time and energy for our small team. Also, we don't have to involve IT when creating campaigns, so we aren't using resources outside of our team. This enables us to get campaigns up and running much faster! Other benefits include the insight that using Programs has showed us (including how many new leads each program brings in, the cost per new lead, and whether or not people are actually using our content - content effectiveness).

Validated Review

Feature-rich platform, but landing page and email editors are terrible

What do you like best?

I really like the ease of setting up nurture programs and other multi-touch activities. The triggers work great.

What do you dislike?

The landing page editor is a real pain point. It feels like a 2004 experience. They lack true responsive design capabilities and their use of fixed location design makes their landing page editor a pretty lousy experience. The editor for emails and landing pages also add a lot of junk code which is challenging to debug.

Reporting is pretty cumbersome. We've found that results are inconsistent depending on how and where you are accessing the information. For instance, if I want to see the conversion rate of many unique people visited a ladig page and filled out a form, I'll get three different numbers if I look at it from the (1) Landing page summary versus, (2) Smart lists (with rules "visited page," and "visited page and fills form", and (3) a landing page analytics report. The numbers aren't that different, but different enough to not know which figure to trust. Similar problems with email.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend, but make sure to invest in a designer/developer that is familiar with Marketo to do the dev work. Make sure even basic users are familiar w/ basic HTML and CSS as it is necessary to troubleshoot frequent styling errors.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We've been able to successfully implement several ad hoc email and drip campaigns, as well as lead nurturing programs with complex logic.

Validated Review

Marketo can definitely streamline and automate all your marketing activities!

What do you like best?

I like the seamless integration with Salesforce.com. I also like the level of automation that Marketo brings to the table. It's a "set it and forget it" scenario when it comes to setting up multi-touch email programs. Marketo provides invaluable insight on leads that makes sales reps' lives easier (which is our jobs as marketers, right?!). Sales reps are able to find information on their on about all the marketing campaigns going on, who's participated, and can figure out how to prioritize leads accordingly - ALL ON THEIR OWN! One of my favorite programs in Marketo is their automation for promoting and managing virtual events. Webinars are a great lead generation tool especially when they are done right, and Marketo allows for that!

What do you dislike?

Since Marketo is such a robust tool, the learning curve to achieve a certain level of efficiency within it can be daunting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is a robust product with a lot to offer, including a great integration with Salesforce.com. Marketo allows you to streamline and automate all lead generation activities as well as reporting. The programs that Marketo allows you to run on your database like lead scoring, nurturing, lifecycle tracking, are huge when it comes to taking your marketing department to the next level!

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We have resolved the ability to allow reps to self-help and prioritize their own leads by implementing lead scoring. Another big win has been the ability to attain metrics on a lead's "life" by implementing a lead lifecycle model and taking advantage of RCE reporting.

Tags

* We monitor all Marketo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Would you like to receive more information about Marketo?