Marketo

Marketo

518 ratings
4238.310
Watch a Demo
Powerful and easy marketing automation software that helps marketing and sales professionals drive revenue and improve marketing accountability.

Marketo Reviews (423 reviews)

• I'm used both Marketo and Eloqua extensively. I have been admin over both systems for the last 2 years. Having used Eloqua, the "Cadillac" of marketing automation I've...Read More
    0 gnyat9kym4qs1hnvjvxmtnnhjz glhfv0qemtvn86ob mkrsakmjfzgmcvij f69yvyfm hbvnyc
    Ben B.
    Administrator in Financial Services
  • Marketo offers a lot of features to help businesses take their online marketing efforts to new heights via email markting, web marketing (including landing pages,...Read More
    0  zpct8h2hwnsodtllafjoax2xgqsrst5jzfmfzgdtmn2refmukibei6d wk2udt5jzwn5fdseoluzop5uqniwnhtdoldzywdgqnqcvju6irttekvachsg31gsx0jayp4ql rliiuqkf
    Michele A.
    Administrator in Internet
G2 Crowd User: Chantielle M.

Confused But Optimistic

What do you like best?

I quite enjoy the ability to clone programs, emails, etc. and all the assets that are within the programs. It's a great time saver and helps ensure that I don't miss any steps along the way - I just create the first 'template' program and just copy it from there each time I need it.

What do you dislike?

We went with Marketo over other competitors because of the reporting capabilities, but I have to admit that I'm normally confused and frustrated when working in that area. I can't easily drill down in reports for specific date periods, or simply to see source data. It's actually quite difficult for me to find what I need. And if certain things aren't logged in a specific way in our CRM, nothing works... which is a bit of a nightmare. It also drives me crazy that the Record Type Field pulls a random code from Salesforce, rather than the name of the record type - like Prospect or Customer, instead it's 012500000005UpzAAE (which is impossible to remember).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your CRM data is in tiptop shape and you have a friendly sales ops person willing to help you with data analysis. Depending on the size of your company, you could fill an entire role just with handling the various components of Marketo, especially if you have a lot of custom information in your CRM. We weren't prepared for how data intensive it was going to be and our Marketing team just doesn't have that data savvy person, so we've certainly struggled in that regard.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We're pretty new to Marketo so I can't say we've "solved" any problems yet - more like it's helped us uncover a lot of new problems with our contact database and just general marketing efforts. Which is good, but also frustrating. We now have more data to review, but we struggle a lot with a non-biased opinion on this data... having more information on how to interpret data from Marketo might help us more, we're a small team and we lack a firm understanding in that area.

G2 Crowd User: Justin G.

A Non-Operationally Minded Marketo User Review

What do you like best?

Of all the automation softwares I explored, Marketo was a clear winner when it came to usability and design. We've been a customer for over 2 years now and each product update has continued to make my job easier and easier.

The new analytics visuals on email send programs give a clear picture into email performance, without having to dig around and manipulate numbers.

I should add that I would never consider myself to be an operational type person, I'm definitely more on the creative side of the brain. Learning and using Marketo has been incredibly easy.

What do you dislike?

The speed of the platform is often troublesome. For marketing teams that need to move fast (all!), there are significant lag times when pulling lists, approving emails and landing pages, and just jumping from campaign to campaign.

My only other complaint is that as a Spark user, support response times are just unacceptable. It can be hours or days between hearing from someone and finding a solution. Now, as a Standard user this is remedied by direct phone support, but even that is often slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely make sure you have a rollout plan and a dedicated team member to manage the platform. When there are lots of cooks in the kitchen, things can get messy and data quality goes down.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

Prior to Marketo we were using MailChimp for our email marketing efforts. Since making the switch, creating segmented nurture tracks has been a huge help on bandwidth because I know that leads will be emailed regularly.

The other big issue for us is demonstrating marketing's impact on the business. Program reporting and syncing to salesforce has really helped us demonstrate to leadership the importance and value of marketing spend. It's also helped us figure out where to put our dollars.

G2 Crowd User: Ray H.
Validated Review

Feature-rich platform, but landing page and email editors are terrible

What do you like best?

I really like the ease of setting up nurture programs and other multi-touch activities. The triggers work great.

What do you dislike?

The landing page editor is a real pain point. It feels like a 2004 experience. They lack true responsive design capabilities and their use of fixed location design makes their landing page editor a pretty lousy experience. The editor for emails and landing pages also add a lot of junk code which is challenging to debug.

Reporting is pretty cumbersome. We've found that results are inconsistent depending on how and where you are accessing the information. For instance, if I want to see the conversion rate of many unique people visited a ladig page and filled out a form, I'll get three different numbers if I look at it from the (1) Landing page summary versus, (2) Smart lists (with rules "visited page," and "visited page and fills form", and (3) a landing page analytics report. The numbers aren't that different, but different enough to not know which figure to trust. Similar problems with email.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend, but make sure to invest in a designer/developer that is familiar with Marketo to do the dev work. Make sure even basic users are familiar w/ basic HTML and CSS as it is necessary to troubleshoot frequent styling errors.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We've been able to successfully implement several ad hoc email and drip campaigns, as well as lead nurturing programs with complex logic.

G2 Crowd User: Tabitha N.

Marketo - Not Just Your Email Delivery Tool, Automate for Success

What do you like best?

The bread and butter of Marketo lies in it's ability to track programs from creation to execution. The tool comes with standard program templates that allow you to easily get up and running for your basic email and landing page programs, but it also allows you to track success and engagement across programs like webinars, events, web pages and multi-step or channel campaigns. I like how easy it is to create custom stages so you can easily track each stage of your marketing/sales funnel across different programs/channels. The built-in reports also give you easy visibility into the success of specific programs as well as the resulting pipe contribution and actions taken by the sales team once they have completed the programs call-to-action.

Marketo also makes it easy to track and alert sales reps of lead activity and build out a number of operational programs to ensure data consistency and communication between the marketing and sales teams as well as their associated tool sets.

What do you dislike?

Marketo is not the tool for you if you're simply looking for program management. The programs and tracking available is very in-depth, but it lacks key features to do social marketing or to track content creation/strategy. They have added features such as a campaign calendar, but the layout is hard to understand and leaves marketing teams resorting to a Google calendar or similar feature to track campaign sequencing and deliverables.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please consider looking into a better support package or ensuring you have a resource available with a deeper knowledge of Marketo implementation and program setup.

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

We initially looked at Marketo for a better email tool, but it's now our main platform to manage success of most (if not all) programs as well as look at key funnel metrics such as cost per lead, lead lifecycle movement and opportunity influence.

Since implementation, we have realized that Marketo is an easier way to link program success to more targeted funnel metrics and it also has the feature set available to further sales enablement and proper alignment with our marketing efforts.

G2 Crowd User: Scott D.
Validated Review

Powerful that allows you to grow with it (in good company)

What do you like best?

When deciding to switch to Marketo as our marketing automation platform, our primary concerns were 1. Finding a tool that we could grow the company with, 2. Ensuring we weren't getting in over our heads and 3. Joining a solid community filled with users and companies that were similar to ours. Marketo was the clear choice because we were able to find all three. The tool itself is extremely powerful, but has not been overwhelming. There's a definite learning curve, as there is with any robust platform, but the support from Marketo and the invaluable resource of their community makes success incredibly achievable.

What do you dislike?

There's a certain element of inside baseball to it all. It hasn't been anything near a deal-breaker, but after using the tool for a few months, it's easy to get in the situation where you want to analyze something but are unable to because you didn't set-up a specific step to gather this data initially. This at times has felt like we're getting smarter, but then needing to wait for data to catchup.

I also expected the analytics component to be a bit more robust and easier to use than it is. Granted, we need to do more work to fully unlock the value (in-line with my comment above), but it's less out-of-the-box than you'd expect and occasionally requires a bit of extra work to view data you'd like to see.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a best-in-class product, but make sure the timing is right. Though our previous platform wasn't right for us after a year, it was what the team needed and could manage at the time. Marketo will require a certain amount of dedicated time to ensure you're getting value out of it. But that's not to say you can't bring in that expertise early-on!

What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?

It's completely changed the way we work with our SDR and Sales teams. It helped align us, increase the way our marketing team functions (moved us to be revenue-driven) and overall have more understanding of our business.

Tags

* We monitor all Marketo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Would you like to receive more information about Marketo?