Marketo

Marketo

Powerful and easy marketing automation software that helps marketing and sales professionals drive revenue and improve marketing accountability.

Work for Marketo?

Learning about Marketo?

Marketo Reviews

Marketo review by <span>Marcie P.</span>
Marcie P.

A Marketing Automation Tool for Marketers

What do you like best?

Marketo is clearly built especially for marketers - it is a very intuitive and easy to use tool that is honestly a joy to use! What's even better is that, like marketers, Marketo is constantly evolving and offering new and relevant functionality - often times at no cost to current customers.

What do you dislike?

The standard Analytics section is pretty bare, and the Revenue Cycle Analytics package is clunky and not intuitive. I often times need to continue to build my reports in my CRM, despite all of the data existing in Marketo as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is an extremely robust tool! If you are planning on running simple email marketing campaigns, save your money, but if you need to get granular in your audience segmentation, want to manage all of your marketing functions in one place, want detailed information on what makes your buyers engage, and want an easy way to keep them engaged, then this is the product for you. It is a very strong tool for outbounding especially.

My company uses Marketo to automate email marketing, event marketing, content delivery, and email nurturing. Their nurture package makes content marketing a snap!

Showing 1590 Marketo reviews
Marketo review by <span>Ben B.</span>
Ben B.
Invitation from a vendor or affiliate

My experience with Marketo

What do you like best?

I'm used Marketo, Hubspot, Pardot and Eloqua extensively. I have been admin over each of these systems for the last 6 years. Having used Eloqua, the "Cadillac" of marketing automation I've got a good insight into what Marketo is and is not.

Marketo is easy to use, quick to setup and an all around good medium level tool. It does everything my company (60 employees) needs. In the past, though I did have to hack it and build work arounds frequently to get more advanced functionality out of it. In the last few years, though, Marketo seems to have surpassed Eloqua in functionality and ease-of-use.

Overall though, I LOVE Marketo and think it's a great tool for the majority of SMBs.

What do you dislike?

UPDATE 2/14/2017 - Coming back to revise this review years later as I've seen Marketo grow and improve. 2 and 3, below, are no longer a problem. Marketo has more integrations now than Eloqua (#3). The API has been greatly improved in Marketo too (#2). #1 is still kind of an issue.

Having used Eloqua, I know how nice their campaign/program builder is. You can drag and drop build your campaigns on a canvas type layout. It's great because it's easy, gives a better top down view of your campaign, and helps you display a campaigns functionality to your executive team. Infusionshoft has something similar. Why Marketo hasn't adopted a similar format for building programs is beyond me.

A few other beefs I have with Marketo are:

1. Form and Landing Page Builder are pretty bad. Marketo has admitted that these two pieces of their tool are the only remaining remnants of their original tool (which wasn't even for marketing automation BTW... Marketo's first tool was an Adwords management interface). Marketo has also said they're aware the form/landing page builders are junky and have said they're going to be rolling out new versions though they wouldn't commit to a timeline for roll out.

2. Their API is weak sauce. I wanted to bring some of our customer renewal emails into Marketo (instead of having our DEV team send them out with our in-house PHP scripts), but we need to send out customer keys (like product licensing keys) in the emails and the Marketo API didn't really have a way to do it. We had to build a work around, which after I planned it out the DEV team kicked it down the road because it'd be too time consuming and they had higher priorities.

3. The third party integrations aren't quite there yet. They've launched a "LaunchPoint" marketplace where you can go and view their partners, but sadly most of these partners do not have any integration with Marketo yet. Eloqua had some pretty extensive integrations that I miss not having in Marketo. However, Marketo has a larger market of partners and most of them are currently working on integrations, so it's only a matter of time before Marketo overtakes Eloqua in 3rd party integrations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For most SMBs I'd suggest using Marketo over Eloqua, Silverpop, Pardot, or other marketing automation suites. i've used Eloqua heavily, and while the tool is powerful, the overall interface (even the E10 interface which I have used) still falls short of what Marketo offers. I've evaluated both Silverpop and Pardot and both of those don't offer the bang for buck that Marketo does.

If budget is a real concern to you you may want to try ActOn. I set it up for a client and it fits their needs quite well, though their needs aren't that great.

If you are a newer company and sell stuff, and don't need to use SalesForce for a CRM I'd suggest InfusionSoft. InfusionSoft is more affordable than Marketo though it too lacks some of the Marketo functionality.

All around, I'm pleased with Marketo as a tool and even more pleased with it as a company. Though I've had some limited support issues with Marketo, they are generally responsive. As a company they're doing some awesome things and applying a lot of pressure to Eloqua, as they have quicker development cycles and seem to be a more agile company.

In using Hubspot and Pardot in the past, I've run into major hurdles with quickly launching new campaigns and with flexibility in reporting. Marketo makes both of these tasks very easy!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Marketo
Marketo review by <span>Loren P.</span>
Loren P.

A Marketo Nation!

What do you like best?

Marketo is the best of the best. From prospects to customers, lead routing to triggered activities, Marketo helps get our leads to the right people in record time. It's not only helped track our leads more precisely, but allowed us to discover trends. Not only is Marketo itself wonderful, but its ability to integrate with Salesforce provides our team with the data they want and need to make decisions. My favorite feature, and will always be my favorite feature, is the Marketo smart list. Smart list are a godsend. They're perfect for slicing and dicing data exactly how you'd like.

What do you dislike?

Marketo's abilities are far superior to other marketing automation products. It's only downfalls are that sync times can be slow if there are large data updates - pretty common amongst Marketo automation products, so not specific to Marketo. It's reporting abilities are also nothing spectacular. They get the job done, but most of our reporting is done outside of Marketo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is far superior to other marketing automation systems. It's definitely by far the best I've used.

We're able to deliver the right leads to the right people in record time. This has allowed our team to follow-up quickly and get the conversation started. We're also able to track activities and send alerts to the appropriate people which is *huge* for many of our internal teams. Most of all, we're able to integrate Marketo with other marketing technology that's allowed us to track across the customer journey even better.

What Market Intelligence solution do you use?

Marketo review by <span>Christina L.</span>
Christina L.

Marketo can definitely streamline and automate all your marketing activities!

What do you like best?

I like the seamless integration with Salesforce.com. I also like the level of automation that Marketo brings to the table. It's a "set it and forget it" scenario when it comes to setting up multi-touch email programs. Marketo provides invaluable insight on leads that makes sales reps' lives easier (which is our jobs as marketers, right?!). Sales reps are able to find information on their on about all the marketing campaigns going on, who's participated, and can figure out how to prioritize leads accordingly - ALL ON THEIR OWN! One of my favorite programs in Marketo is their automation for promoting and managing virtual events. Webinars are a great lead generation tool especially when they are done right, and Marketo allows for that!

What do you dislike?

Since Marketo is such a robust tool, the learning curve to achieve a certain level of efficiency within it can be daunting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is a robust product with a lot to offer, including a great integration with Salesforce.com. Marketo allows you to streamline and automate all lead generation activities as well as reporting. The programs that Marketo allows you to run on your database like lead scoring, nurturing, lifecycle tracking, are huge when it comes to taking your marketing department to the next level!

We have resolved the ability to allow reps to self-help and prioritize their own leads by implementing lead scoring. Another big win has been the ability to create our own marketing funnel and attain metrics on a lead's pre-sales journey by implementing a lead lifecycle model and taking advantage of the out of the box Success Path Analyzer report.

Marketo review by <span>Shinn C.</span>
Shinn C.

Powerful, intuitive, and simple to use, but needs some UI love

What do you like best?

As a demand gen marketer, Marketo does pretty much everything you need. From creating gated landing pages, syncing to your CRM system, and showing lead activity in your CRM, you can create all of the activities and campaigns needed to generate awareness to creating a sales qualified lead.

It's a bit scary looking, but fairly intuitive once you start digging in. I've used other email marketing and marketing automation tools, never had formal training on Marketo, but have used it without any problems for the past few years.

What do you dislike?

The Marketo UX is in need of an update. Having folders is wonderful, but it's pretty difficult to find anything within those folders, the search functionality is lacking. In creating program flows, it would be really useful to have a visual workflow.

I've used Marketo mainly for lead nurturing programs, monthly newsletter campaigns, weekly email campaigns, and lead scoring that combines email response and web activity. We're able to take outbound prospected leads, figure out who is more active, and build a robust audience base for our field and other marketing efforts.

Marketo review by <span>Scott S.</span>
Scott S.

It's very powerful, but has frequent mistakes and an old design

What do you like best?

Its integration with Salesforce and the power it has to run countless programs and nurture streams is great. Designing the emails in the interface and then setting the audience directly after is nice.

What do you dislike?

The loading time on it is sometimes pretty ridiculous, and there are a lot of areas that the design of the actual software could look much better and be more intuitive. There is a weird glitch with our current HTML that causes a button with the exact same HTML as another button to be a different font and size, and support didn't help in figuring out why it acts that way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't use Salesforce or haven't already started using Marketo, it would be valuable to look at other options. But I could see choosing Marketo still, based on your needs and environment. Good for enterprise companies.

We automate all of our marketing emails out of the platform, and the trust I have in it to send them out when scheduled is good.

Marketo review by <span>J.P. V.</span>
J.P. V.

Enterprise Marketing Automation - For Better or Worse

What do you like best?

Marketo is an incredible robust platform, with built-in capabilities for custom code, landing pages, email campaigns, integrating with Facebook and Google Ads and even customizing content based on user behavior for better CRO.

What do you dislike?

It's prohibitively expensive for many companies, and not just because of the actual product cost but also the man-hours necessary to implement the solution, review the documentation, and design your programs. Not only that, but if you want to do anything other than the most basic tasks you need a developer familiar with Marketo's own quirks to implement, which is probably the biggest drawback to the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If evaluating, compare to options like Infusionsoft and Hubspot which are less robust but focus more on usability, and ask yourself what investment you are truly willing to make in transitioning essentially your entire marketing department to this platform.

Marketo collects all your data from different campaigns in one place very effectively. My PPC campaigns can trigger email drips which capture behavior data which change the landing pages I show a prospect.

Learn more about Marketo

Marketo Videos

Learning about Marketo?

* We monitor all Marketo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.