Marketo

Marketo

Powerful and easy marketing automation software that helps marketing and sales professionals drive revenue and improve marketing accountability.

Work for Marketo?

Learning about Marketo?

Marketo Reviews

Ask Marketo a Question
Marketo review by <span>Leah G.</span>
Leah G.

Powerful engine to increase productivity

Updated On
What do you like best?

Favorite functionality is within the lead database. Being able to build segmentation allows us to have more targeted marketing and a better understanding of our overall database and where we can improve it.

Other element that I like is the ability to use tokens and to templatize programs to increase marketing efficiency.

What do you dislike?

RCA - Don't like that you can't send direct links to reports created within RCA and it is not easily sharable with executives. Although there is a great deal of information that you can obtain, the UI is not user friendly.

Marketing efficiency

Data management

Showing 1507 Marketo reviews
Marketo review by <span>Ben B.</span>
Ben B.

My experience with Marketo

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I'm used Marketo, Hubspot, Pardot and Eloqua extensively. I have been admin over each of these systems for the last 6 years. Having used Eloqua, the "Cadillac" of marketing automation I've got a good insight into what Marketo is and is not.

Marketo is easy to use, quick to setup and an all around good medium level tool. It does everything my company (60 employees) needs. In the past, though I did have to hack it and build work arounds frequently to get more advanced functionality out of it. In the last few years, though, Marketo seems to have surpassed Eloqua in functionality and ease-of-use.

Overall though, I LOVE Marketo and think it's a great tool for the majority of SMBs.

What do you dislike?

UPDATE 2/14/2017 - Coming back to revise this review years later as I've seen Marketo grow and improve. 2 and 3, below, are no longer a problem. Marketo has more integrations now than Eloqua (#3). The API has been greatly improved in Marketo too (#2). #1 is still kind of an issue.

Having used Eloqua, I know how nice their campaign/program builder is. You can drag and drop build your campaigns on a canvas type layout. It's great because it's easy, gives a better top down view of your campaign, and helps you display a campaigns functionality to your executive team. Infusionshoft has something similar. Why Marketo hasn't adopted a similar format for building programs is beyond me.

A few other beefs I have with Marketo are:

1. Form and Landing Page Builder are pretty bad. Marketo has admitted that these two pieces of their tool are the only remaining remnants of their original tool (which wasn't even for marketing automation BTW... Marketo's first tool was an Adwords management interface). Marketo has also said they're aware the form/landing page builders are junky and have said they're going to be rolling out new versions though they wouldn't commit to a timeline for roll out.

2. Their API is weak sauce. I wanted to bring some of our customer renewal emails into Marketo (instead of having our DEV team send them out with our in-house PHP scripts), but we need to send out customer keys (like product licensing keys) in the emails and the Marketo API didn't really have a way to do it. We had to build a work around, which after I planned it out the DEV team kicked it down the road because it'd be too time consuming and they had higher priorities.

3. The third party integrations aren't quite there yet. They've launched a "LaunchPoint" marketplace where you can go and view their partners, but sadly most of these partners do not have any integration with Marketo yet. Eloqua had some pretty extensive integrations that I miss not having in Marketo. However, Marketo has a larger market of partners and most of them are currently working on integrations, so it's only a matter of time before Marketo overtakes Eloqua in 3rd party integrations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For most SMBs I'd suggest using Marketo over Eloqua, Silverpop, Pardot, or other marketing automation suites. i've used Eloqua heavily, and while the tool is powerful, the overall interface (even the E10 interface which I have used) still falls short of what Marketo offers. I've evaluated both Silverpop and Pardot and both of those don't offer the bang for buck that Marketo does.

If budget is a real concern to you you may want to try ActOn. I set it up for a client and it fits their needs quite well, though their needs aren't that great.

If you are a newer company and sell stuff, and don't need to use SalesForce for a CRM I'd suggest InfusionSoft. InfusionSoft is more affordable than Marketo though it too lacks some of the Marketo functionality.

All around, I'm pleased with Marketo as a tool and even more pleased with it as a company. Though I've had some limited support issues with Marketo, they are generally responsive. As a company they're doing some awesome things and applying a lot of pressure to Eloqua, as they have quicker development cycles and seem to be a more agile company.

In using Hubspot and Pardot in the past, I've run into major hurdles with quickly launching new campaigns and with flexibility in reporting. Marketo makes both of these tasks very easy!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Marketo
Marketo review by <span>Loren P.</span>
Loren P.

A Marketo Nation!

Updated On
What do you like best?

Marketo is the best of the best. From prospects to customers, lead routing to triggered activities, Marketo helps get our leads to the right people in record time. It's not only helped track our leads more precisely, but allowed us to discover trends. Not only is Marketo itself wonderful, but its ability to integrate with Salesforce provides our team with the data they want and need to make decisions. My favorite feature, and will always be my favorite feature, is the Marketo smart list. Smart list are a godsend. They're perfect for slicing and dicing data exactly how you'd like.

What do you dislike?

Marketo's abilities are far superior to other marketing automation products. It's only downfalls are that sync times can be slow if there are large data updates - pretty common amongst Marketo automation products, so not specific to Marketo. It's reporting abilities are also nothing spectacular. They get the job done, but most of our reporting is done outside of Marketo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Marketo is far superior to other marketing automation systems. It's definitely by far the best I've used.

We're able to deliver the right leads to the right people in record time. This has allowed our team to follow-up quickly and get the conversation started. We're also able to track activities and send alerts to the appropriate people which is *huge* for many of our internal teams. Most of all, we're able to integrate Marketo with other marketing technology that's allowed us to track across the customer journey even better.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Marketing Automation solution do you use?

Marketo review by <span>Scott S.</span>
Scott S.
What do you like best?

Its integration with Salesforce and the power it has to run countless programs and nurture streams is great. Designing the emails in the interface and then setting the audience directly after is nice.

What do you dislike?

The loading time on it is sometimes pretty ridiculous, and there are a lot of areas that the design of the actual software could look much better and be more intuitive. There is a weird glitch with our current HTML that causes a button with the exact same HTML as another button to be a different font and size, and support didn't help in figuring out why it acts that way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't use Salesforce or haven't already started using Marketo, it would be valuable to look at other options. But I could see choosing Marketo still, based on your needs and environment. Good for enterprise companies.

We automate all of our marketing emails out of the platform, and the trust I have in it to send them out when scheduled is good.

Marketo review by <span>J.P. V.</span>
J.P. V.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Marketo is an incredible robust platform, with built-in capabilities for custom code, landing pages, email campaigns, integrating with Facebook and Google Ads and even customizing content based on user behavior for better CRO.

What do you dislike?

It's prohibitively expensive for many companies, and not just because of the actual product cost but also the man-hours necessary to implement the solution, review the documentation, and design your programs. Not only that, but if you want to do anything other than the most basic tasks you need a developer familiar with Marketo's own quirks to implement, which is probably the biggest drawback to the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If evaluating, compare to options like Infusionsoft and Hubspot which are less robust but focus more on usability, and ask yourself what investment you are truly willing to make in transitioning essentially your entire marketing department to this platform.

Marketo collects all your data from different campaigns in one place very effectively. My PPC campaigns can trigger email drips which capture behavior data which change the landing pages I show a prospect.

Marketo review by <span>Stephanie B.</span>
Stephanie B.

Love Marketo's Flexibility

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Marketo is a great platform that allows for a lot of flexibility in functionality. They have an excellent culture around their product and their online community is unmatched. The tool itself is very powerful and can be manipulated in many ways to make a wide variety of marketing campaigns work.

What do you dislike?

The initial lift to get Marketo going makes it a large endeavor to take on and lack of ready-to-go pre-made templates. There are some limitations to the platform from an administration side that make it a bit burdensome, such as not being able to bulk delete programs, approval workflow, limitation in naming duplicates and being able to centralize and control how program and design templates are used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Invest time and effort into Marketo University and take the courses to understand how Marketo works before diving in.

We use Marketo for our marketing automation. We appreciate the flexibility that Marketo allows and the integrations we can incorporate. We have several users that are trained and certified in the platform and have invested heavily in our staff to take advantage of the tool. This tool offers a lot of hidden functionality to track the actions of users interacting with content that was generated in Marketo or that is linked to Marketo via munchkin codes. We've been able to take advantage of lead scoring and sales insight tools to empower our sales teams based on customer activities. Marketo has allowed us to automate our day-to-day transactions and automate communications with our sales force and respond quickly to our prospects.

Marketo review by <span>Lauren A.</span>
Lauren A.

Marketo is a must.

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Marketo's integration with Salesforce is second to none. Being able to see near real-time updates in Salesforce guarantees accurate data as well an supports transparency to build trust. Marketo has also enabled functionality such as cloning and tokens that allows marketers to scale the setup of of their marketing programs and assets very easily. They also have an incredible partner network that supports a highly integrated marketing tech stack.

What do you dislike?

Marketo's reporting features are just average. While you can get the data you need, it's often awkwardly presented and in an inconsistent matter. More and more, we are finding ourselves using 3rd party providers and dashboard tools to report on Marketo data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering Marketo, I would think through how you are going to implement and what your support team will look like long term. Marketo is not an app - it is a business-changing operations platform that will revolutionize the way your sales and marketing teams do business.

At the foundation, Marketo allows us to manage leads through the sales cycle, track the success of our marketing initiatives and ultimately allows us to make better decisions on how to spend our marketing budget. We are tracking velocity of our leads through the sales funnel, percentage of opportunities and pipeline generated and influenced, and top performing channels and programs. Marketo is often thought of as an email service provider. I would argue that it just happens to send emails.

Learn more about Marketo

Marketo Videos

Learning about Marketo?

* We monitor all Marketo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.