McGraw-Hill Connect

3.9

McGraw-Hill Connect is a digital teaching and learning environment that saves students and instructors time while improving performance over a variety of critical outcomes.

Work for McGraw-Hill Connect?

Learning about McGraw-Hill?

McGraw-Hill Connect Reviews

Showing 102 McGraw-Hill reviews
McGraw-Hill review by Rebecca Vold P.
Rebecca Vold P.

"McGraw Hill Math EdConnect"

What do you like best?

I like that I can display the videos and slides in class to show students what will be expected of them in their independent practice.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that the "guided practice" has the answers filled in already. I like to work through the problems with my students and show them how to figure it out. They seem tuned out once the answer is already on the board.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is difficult to navigate the online website. It took me several days of working through the online platform before I was able to use it in my classroom. There are also some very unnecessary resources in the online platform.

Keeping the vertical teams aligned in the same type of math program - so students are more equipped with what to expect year after year.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about McGraw-Hill Connect
McGraw-Hill review by Joseph A.
Joseph A.

"McGraw Hill-Connect Review"

What do you like best?

McGraw Hill-Connect makes classroom management very easy, which is probably its best quality! It is user friendly and easy to understand. It works well on different platforms which is always a plus!

It also allows walk through videos for courses so that you can understand the concept; this is something that I like to incorporate a lot in my organic chemistry session online.

What do you dislike?

Some features provided by it make grading very difficult which, otherwise, is a very important task for a Teaching Assistant like myself. The courses are quite expensive and a lot of student do not want to pay that amount. So it would be better if they include an extended free trial period functionality.

It also does not work well on android.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try to keep the course key price low if you are a professor.

I use McGraw-Hill Connect to post lecture notes on Organic Chemistry for my students at UNT. It is a really helpful and effective means of providing course content to the students.

What Online Learning Platform solution do you use?

McGraw-Hill review by Priyanka S.
Priyanka S.

"My revview for McGraw-Hill Connect"

What do you like best?

This website is an amazing place to for e-learning. I have used this for a political science and physics class for accessing homework and course contents. I now also use it at my workplace to help in tutoring other students. I like variety of features that it offers, like bookmarking your pages, and keeping track of where you left off.

It is easy to access at any time and does not have too many bugs. I would definitely use it again in the future as well!

What do you dislike?

A lot of times, the course keys are so expensive that people just do not wanna buy the course. I wish they would extend the free trial period a little bit longer so that more people would be willing to access it.

Other than that, there is not much to really dislike about this!

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should definitely give it a go for yourself and your students!

Make good use of the free trial period

I have used this for my own courses, as well as at my workplace to tutor other students. It has definitely helped in improving my grades and knowledge of the courses.

McGraw-Hill review by Alexa C.
Alexa C.

"User-Friendly Platform"

What do you like best?

This platform allows students to stay on top of assignments and gives them extra practice. Also, students can reference previous years of curriculum that has been tied to their Fulton Schools student ID number. (For example, my 5th graders could revisit content from their 4th grade books from last year)

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the e-book "times out" when you have not been using it for a little while. This requires me to login again in order to go back to where I was last working.

It allows for students to always have access to the curriculum, even if they forget their workbook at school. It also allows me to be able to access curriculum content to assign it to students at anytime. I reference the teacher materials when I am working on lesson plans from home as well.

McGraw-Hill review by Samantha H.
Samantha H.

"McGraw-Hill Connect makes learning easier for students and teachers!"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that students and teachers have information available to them anywhere and resources to help them understand the information further. There are also so many quizzes, videos, etc. connected with the lessons that the students are learning. If for some reason, a student doesn't understand the material, they can be provided with additional support without assistance from the teacher or their learning guide.

What do you dislike?

The resource tab seems a bit difficult to navigate. Although there are a variety of tabs to choose from and a keyword search, often titles are placed in the correct categories. McGraw-Hill is provided to use through the Calvert curriculum. Unfortunately McGraw-Hill does not allow parent access to the teacher manual, even though they themselves are the teachers for their students. Because of this students cannot work on the reviews at the end of every chapter and be confident in their answers because they cannot be checked without the answer keys.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend using McGraw-Hill Connect as it provides a plethora of resources available to you at your fingertips. Not only will you as a teacher have an easier time providing your students with support, but your students will also enjoy have the book and other features available to them as they need them.

My students are online learners and often work from a variety of locations. Often it is difficult to carry their books where ever they go, so to have the book available online helps them. As a teacher, I am able to pull more resources that have already been created and send them to students with ease.

McGraw-Hill review by Josh E.
Josh E.

"McGraw Hill Connect Review"

What do you like best?

It is a great place to publish all of your course content and make it accessible to a huge bunch of students. Videos work perfectly on McGraw Hill Connect as well, and that always promotes better learning for students. It is pretty popular among various professors and students as a means of sharing knowledge.

I think that McGrawHill Connect is doing a good job!

What do you dislike?

It does not work well on mobile phones. Also, the key to buy different subject codes is quite expensive and a lot of student don't want to pay that amount. The trial period is just about 14 days long which is not long enough to retain everything!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep the key price low.

I use it to publish notes for my students at TAMU. It is a good interface and it is easy to publish content.

McGraw-Hill review by Fenton H.
Fenton H.

"McGraw-Hill Connect: incompetence and unaccountablity personiffied"

What do you like best?

I'm glad that my employer is switching from McGraw Hill to a different educational internet service.

What do you dislike?

I’m (temporarily) an adjunct faculty member with a community college in California, where I teach general chemistry 1A. The students paid for access to the McGraw-Hill website to submit homework assignments and access the online version of the textbook. Over the past two weeks, they have not been able to do so, and instead receive error messages.

As an adjunct, I finally called McGraw-Hill on their “help” telephone line. Their "help" telephone line routes to either a line for instructors or for students. It was not possible to get a real person on the line for the instructor branch, and also not to have a relevant option to chose from.

I then chose the student option. It was indeed possible to contact a real person. I gave him the name of Foothill Community College, the name of the textbook and my family name (but not an e-mail address). However this person refused to directly address the issue, and instead tried to bounce me to a different telephone number. I reminded him that he was being paid for our telephone conversation but yet I was not. He still would not contact their IT service.

There are many things which one can rant about from this experience. I will simply recommend all faculty and students to avoid this incompetent and unaccountable company and its internet products at all costs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stay away from McGraw-Hill.

This is higher education

McGraw-Hill review by Sarah S.
Sarah S.

"Full of Resources but Hard to Use"

What do you like best?

I like that I can access my entire ELA and math curricula, and that I can assign digital resources to my students and access digital lesson presentation materials.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the organization of the Wonders program materials. It is challenging to locate what I want quickly, and many of the components are not a straightforward part of the physical teachers edition, so sometimes I don’t even realize that a resource exists. It also uses a lot of pop ups that aren’t Chromebook friendly, which frustrates my students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are plenty of resources. Good luck finding them though. It is a long, winding learning curve.

I am able to have my students work on the digital curriculum independently, which frees me up to teach small groups. Low prep on teacher’s part in that regard.

"McGraw Hill Connect Review"

What do you like best?

It is a great way to assign homework assignments, practice problems and track student progress. Also, my students tell me that having e-textbook is very useful so that they do not need to carry the textbook.

What do you dislike?

The customer service and the digital technical support. Most of the time they are not able to fix the technical problems the students have, so students miss homework because of this. Also, I heavily dislike the fact that now the only bundles that students are able to buy include an e-text which brings up the price substantially. I feel that there should be an option to just do the homework online without buying the e-text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great product but not the best. Would not necessarily recommend it because there are better services out there. But if this is the only option you have then definitely go for it.

I use it at California Polytechnic as a student supervisor to help my students access their McGraw hill e-texts and their quizzes and course contents.

"McGraw Hill Connect Review"

What do you like best?

The only thing I liked about the software was that it helped the students with accessing their textbooks and homework at home on their laptops. And the quick start guide helped students set the software without asking me questions during orientation making it easier for me to help more students.

What do you dislike?

Many, many little things that are very annoying. The frustration continues to mount with each new discovery of how obtuse the program is. This makes it difficult to explain the students at orientation how the program works and how it would be a key aspect of some of their courses. Also, the interface is really vague and looks really old and not maintained for. Needs a big change. And not to mention, the expensiveness of the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It really needs to change in terms of pricing and interface. But if this is the only software your company uses well then you are stuck with it. Otherwise, please try to use some other software with fewer bugs and cheaper options.

I used it at ASU's orientation to help students in getting ready for classes and accessing the course material beforehand.

"McGraw Hill Connect Review"

What do you like best?

Very modern vibe to the user interface currently implemented. Does a relatively good job of communicating homework problems to students. Also, all the students I have referred to use this software have mostly given positive reviews regarding the interface and easy to use. Also, its auto-grading feature helps the student know their grades directly on BlackBoard.

What do you dislike?

It's a clunky software and hangs sometimes. Also, the students have told me that even though they entered the correct answer it says that the formatting is incorrect etc. Needs to be fixed. That is why I took the course at UTA to see how it works and the problems students are facing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would definitely recommend it but you can try other software too to get the best and the exact thing that you need.

I use it for helping students in their classes and doing their homework. Also, I use it at the Career Development Center for students to give a quick aptitude test right at the center.

"McGraw Review"

What do you like best?

I like being able to provide students with extra problems, helpful tips, and solutions without the students having to contact me each time. Connect lets me provide the students with helpful information and study tools. Also, Students use LearnSmart to streamline chapter-reading & Connect to master concepts covered in class.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the cost of using the website. Since it seems like it's trying to market towards students, most students aren't willing to pay the hefty price, especially when they're in college. This really is the breaking point for fewer students and universities using this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would definitely reccommend it if you wanna ease your work for assigning grades and getting homeworks submitted by the students.

I use it at UNT to help students access their homework and grades for the freshman level courses mainly. Really easus up my work of calculation grades, had I been using Blackboard.

McGraw-Hill review by User in Higher Education

"Very convenient way to keep track of homework and student progress."

What do you like best?

I like that I have an easy way to see my students' progress and thought processes with an easy way to give real time assistance to specific problems.

What do you dislike?

The Connect website is not quite user friendly yet. It's a tedious process to copy homework to different classes and also the customized homework options are a bit limited to be of use. Especially the Excel portions.

I must warn McGraw Hill about the direction it's heading. At first, McGraw Hill showed us a great way to grade students' homework and monitor their progress while giving great feedback. However, as of late, I'm noticing that McGraw Hill is more concerned about marketing and ensuring more sales are made. I understand the importance of this, but at the same time, the IT group needs to be proactive in improving features that are important to the instructors, but not quite sales builders. For example, statistics tracking of students (more depth than the current Insight Reports), smoothing out the communication of points to Blackboard, allowing more freedom to customize Excel problems, and creating a forwarding option for students to email the instructor to a specific email address with a screenshot of the problem they're asking about. Stay relevant by keeping the instructors happy.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what this question is trying to ask.

"Great engagement tool"

What do you like best?

I love how engaged students are, how easy it is to set up with Blackboard, and how great the reports are. I can see students that are at risk and address the issue before they get too far behind.

What do you dislike?

Some small things that would make the experience better would be being able to assign several learnsmarts in one step. Question editing remained very cumbersome and I often "broke" the questions when I adjusted number of labels given to students. That needs to improve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and get McGraw-Hill do a workshop so you are not lost. Having people show us how to link with Blackboard and how to use the platform was super useful. I would feel very lost without someone showing me how to use it because it is not very intuitive on your own.

McGraw Hill provides lower price for our students since we use their text as a common learning material.

McGraw-Hill review by Ann C.
Ann C.

"Excellent student and instructor resources"

What do you like best?

Mcgraw-Hill (MH) Connect provides students with multiple ways to study the material. From end-of-chapter assignments to interactive presentations to study tools, instructors can find items that fits different learning styles. I also like that the platform is available 24/7 and across a variety of devices. The assignments in Connect interface flawlessly with the Canvas learning management system (LMS), creating a one sign-on experience for the student.

What do you dislike?

The setup of Connect for a new course/textbook can be very time consuming, but once it is set up it can be copied easily to another course section. I also would like to see MH notify students and instructors via email rather than via a website of service interruptions. I would also like to see a more affordable print textbook option for those students that want it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize the MH experts to help with your implementation. They're easy to work with and will help you make your implementation easier. Allow yourself plenty of time for the initial setup and add as many extra practice tools as you can for your students. Also, be sure students understand how the platform works. Consider doing in-class demos or assigning the videos developed by MH as homework.

Grading is streamlined as assignments can be automatically graded, but the instructor still has the ability to modify grades. Grades are also passed over to our LMS. The students have extra study tools available to them 24/7. The LearnSmart flashcards do increase student success rates. This is my favorite online textbook platform.

McGraw-Hill review by Marta Jean K.
Marta Jean K.

"McGraw-Hill Connect User"

What do you like best?

The SMART book feature in CONNECT provides invaluable real time feedback to the students, allowing them self assess their knowledge.

The interactive assignments and videos engage the students and help them assimilate complex information. The students actively engage with the content through these interactive materials which helps them understand, rather than just memorize, these physiological processes.

What do you dislike?

I have found copying and sharing content among colleagues and courses somewhat cumbersome.

It would be amazing if this learning management system could directly interface with NCSU's moodle learning management system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

CONNECT offers multiple useful features both for the student and the professor. The company will assist you in setting up your course content to ensure your full use of these features. I would recommend any instructor planning on using this learning management system to take advantage of these services.

CONNECT does an amazing job providing assessment data for the instructor.

McGraw-Hill review by User in Higher Education

"Adding value to homework"

What do you like best?

Self-grading algorithmic homework allows students unlimited practice with immediate feedback.

What do you dislike?

Students don't realize how much the pre-formatted forms for some problems assist them, and when they get to an exam setting and don't have those, they flounder. Also, some students just strive for the green check marks, but don't try to figure out why they did or didn't get those green check marks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using a McGraw-Hill textbook that has Connect support, and you are looking for a way to make homework more valuable for your students without creating a lot of extra work for yourself, this is it.

Grading every single homework problem for every individual student is simply not practical in a manual environment. When I assigned homework but only graded it based on completion (not accuracy), students regarded it as busy work. Connect makes homework more meaningful to students.

McGraw-Hill review by User in Higher Education

"Easy to use for educational purposes."

What do you like best?

I love that this is very simple and easy to learn how to navigate and use. Another great aspect is how it's very adequately geared toward helping the user become more familiar and more knowledgeable about topics when they get an answer wrong. This helps people know what areas they need to improve on and practice.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the cost of using the website. Since it seems like it's trying to market towards students, most students aren't willing to paid the hefty price, especially when they're in college.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Online homework is fast and very easy to grade. However they should provide better assistance regarding technical problems.

The textbook (when available) is something you can easily navigate through the pages or to the sections you need help with, which is a huge factor in helping students study.

"Connect Ed"

What do you like best?

I like how students can utilize the online portion of the book. This also allows all students with varying learning styles to be successful. I like that students can work at their own pace and if they have questions, I am able to help them. The online portion benefits students today because that is the way most students learn.

What do you dislike?

I wish that there students were able to submit assignments online that could be graded by the teacher. It is somewhat hard to grade assignments. For now, it is easier to print the material and have students turn it in. I would also like to be able to grade in Connect Ed and transfer the grades to my gradebook. That would make things much easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think this is a great product and benefits my students.

This program helps with students who may have different learning styles. This company is going in the right direction with the online portion of learning. Students are improving their test scores not only in school, but on local and state testing. This has helped our school get out of an area that is frowned upon by others

McGraw-Hill review by Jenna G.
Jenna G.

"Convenient for planning"

What do you like best?

I appreciate being able to access both my teacher's guide and student textbook online without needing to drag textbooks home for long term planning. The video animations are also a great resource that my student enjoy and find helpful in their studies.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the process of getting an account set up for a new teacher, it seems rather cumbersome and the waiting time for approval is a little much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest allowing for several days to get your account approved and set up as it requires approval from the McGraw-Hill staff which took nearly a week in my case.

It's a great way to utilize the tools of technology in the classroom.

McGraw-Hill review by Kimberly I.
Kimberly I.

"Not a huge fan "

What do you like best?

What I liked best about this program is that there are a lot of features on it that can help you study. The graphics are very good and look very real. It's pretty easy to navigate and useful for teachers with large classes.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that it is so expensive. For the price I would like more control over what I want to study. Many times I do not need to know every little detail that is on the quiz. It would be nice to be able to personalize quizzes for the information you need to know. I think it can also be more visually appealing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend it but not make it mandatory for students to buy. It is very expensive and the only reason I bought it for my class was because we got extra credit if we did. If that wasn't the case I would not have bought after using the free 2 week trial.

The benefits is that its a good study resource for a large group of people. Teachers can post quizzes, extra credit etc that students can take on there. It is easier for them and for the student to sign on to there and do the work.

McGraw-Hill review by Deborah D.
Deborah D.

"Connect is user-friendly and an efficient supplement for learning and reviewing course materials."

What do you like best?

I like Connect because my students feel it is a good way to learn and review the course materials. I also very much appreciate the smooth communication between Moodle and Connect; the link from Moodle straight to the web page, and the syncing of grades. I really appreciate SmartBook as a 'learning tool'.

What do you dislike?

I really can't think of something I dislike. However, I would appreciate a section with more critical thinking activities that could be accessed and assigned (maybe even separately from the main body of questions).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! You'll like it!

One big benefit is the syncing of grades. That makes my life so much easier. Also, it is a quick and easy way of getting my students to participate in learning activities outside of the classroom.

McGraw-Hill review by Laylonda M.
Laylonda M.

"I have used Connect for about 5 years"

What do you like best?

I like that it is a great supplemental resource for my Anatomy & Physiology students. I really animations and AP Revealed.

What do you dislike?

I find that it has been a problem getting it started for my students, pricing, and when issues arise it takes awhile to get it resolved. Currently, I am working on integrating to my learning management system(D2L).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great product. Students can work with it and gain understanding outside of the classroom. It has a great active learning component to it. The students actually start to enjoy it overtime.

I am a teacher so none.

User in Education Management

"McGraw Hill Connect review"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use when I use it in my mentoring sessions to help students solve questions and work for their grade. At UTA I use it in my mentoring classes of around 1000 students and it is really easy to add courses and make changes to the course material I add to it.

What do you dislike?

The interface lags sometimes and when I add new questions to the courses, it doesn't add them or students report that they got the right answer but the format was different from the one that was on the McGraw webpage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the one of the best software out there for course management in basic classes.

It helps me in adding courses in the classes.

Add quiz and extra credit work for the students to work on.

McGraw-Hill review by Jeff F.
Jeff F.

"Connect - the way to customized learning experiences for each student!"

What do you like best?

I love the adaptive feature in Smartbook. I also love the customized reporting that allows you to monitor student progress and address remediation issues in a timely manner. Speech capture also makes teaching online public speaking so much easier.

What do you dislike?

That is was not available years ago. No product is perfect. One you give it a try and get used to it, you will love it!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try!

Assigning chapter in advance and utilizing the built in adaptive question sets allows me to free up time in class for customized hands on learning. Students are able to learn at their own pace and smartbook helps make that possible.

McGraw-Hill review by User in Higher Education

"Easy to use for both instructor and student"

What do you like best?

Connect is very easy to set up from an instructor's perspective and provides multiple learning opportunities for students.

What do you dislike?

Changing due dates on assignments is more complicated than it could be. I would really like to be able to assign lab practical-type questions using images from APR...without having to create those questions on my own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at all the products available - LearnSmart, LearnSmart Labs, and Anatomy & Physiology Revealed.

Students have easy access to formative assessments (giving them immediate feedback on how they're doing) and multiple resources for aiding in their learning process. Students can work through anatomy virtual dissections in Anatomy & Physiology Revealed. They have access to physiology labs in LearnSmart Labs. And, they receive directed study tips through the LearnSmart product.

McGraw-Hill review by User in Financial Services

"Useful platform for supplemental text materials"

What do you like best?

Connect gives students access to videos, text materials, and supplemental activities that are useful in helpful the students learn the course material. I have also used connect as a platform for students to submit course assignments. The assignments have then been synced to Blackboard where once graded in Connect the grade is pulled into the students Blackboard grade book.

What do you dislike?

There are times where Connect has technical issues. This can be especially difficult if it occurs when the students have to submit an assignment. The other problem is that as an instructor, you cannot see what the students do in Connect. You have to call the Gcgraw Hill team and ask to see if they can see what the student might have attempted. Even then, they may say that they do not see a student attempt on content whereas the student says that they attempted the content in Connect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good text supplement and integrates well with Blackboard. It provides students with additional optional content and can offer the option of assignment submission as well.

Supplemental text material and course assignment submission.

McGraw-Hill review by Bambi H.
Bambi H.

"Great Tool for Classroom"

What do you like best?

I like having the Learn Smart questions that students can use to get a feel for what they understand and what they need to concentrate on learning going forward. I also like the auto grade of homework and the ability to let students see how they are doing.

What do you dislike?

The Learn Smart controls. Unlike homework which I can put into study mode and let students go forward after the grading period this isn't as easy to do with the Learn Smart questions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

View it from a student perspective. The instructor has control of a lot of things so you can customize it for your students needs.

Getting students to do homework before the class time. Also having a good review tool.

User in Education Management

"McGraw Hill -textbooks for kids "

What do you like best?

Kid friendly text and graphics for students. Videos and games are interactive online and are easily accessible to the students. Teachers can assign work if they chose and use it in the classroom as well to enhance learning.

What do you dislike?

Written in a lower lexile. It is not challenging enough for ALL students. The material is not changed yearly but is adopted for 5 years and is not current for the TEKS in TEXAS.

Students can access the curriculum digitally and communicate with teachers what content they need help with and use it effectively.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Modern Textbook Online Resources"

What do you like best?

We use McGraw Hill Connect's integration with Brightspace by Desire2Learn. The integration was simple to set up and the support we received from McGraw Hill was very good. Our faculty enjoy using the integration and use it inside the LMS to become a one stop shop for the students to access more resources. Without this integration, students either would not get this additional information, or they would be forced to create and manage multiple logins/passwords.

What do you dislike?

It is tough to pick a dislike for this section. The product works as intended and in the rare occasion it does not, the support team has been quick to help.

Faculty and students are able to access additional teaching and learning resources. It saves the faculty time to pull from test banks or use third-party resources. It enhances student learning by giving students easy access to more resources right in the online classroom.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Review of Connect - Accounting"

What do you like best?

It's automatically graded, can assign practice problems. I like when there is a set A and B in book - I can assign set A and do B in class. It's pretty easy to use.

What do you dislike?

I wish that I could add an admin user to a section for TAs to easily grade. I also would like a student demo ID to be automatically issued to the professor so that I can see exactly what the student sees. I sometimes have students with issues registering when they have more than 1 connect section. I would like the ability to assign Practice problems without having to assign a due date.

I have benefited 2 ways. 1 - I have saved a LOT of time by not having to grade the homework assignments. Because of the auto-grading, I am able to assign more problems, giving students more of a chance to practice the concepts. Students also ask from practice problems, so I can assign those as well, without giving out any answer keys - they can access the problems and get immediate feedback.

McGraw-Hill review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"McGraw Hill Connect "

What do you like best?

I like that it syncs with my gradebook on Blackboard and there are many options to choose from for homework assignments. I like that everything is stored in one place and that students can be assigned different versions of the same problem. I like that I can view student progress on assignments and help them with specific problems. I do like the feedback tools after each submission, this reduces the number of questions I receive.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that so much information is given to students when completing assignments. They do not typically have to enter much data and can choose information from drop-down lists. This does not help them learn the accounting process. There are also automatic math fillers. This really is a disadvantage to students when learning the accounting process. I do not like that course copies do not work out as planned, specifically when it comes to dates. For some reason, if I copy a course and some assignments from the copied course are active, I end up not being able to see the homework assignment in my Blackboard shell and users have to leave Blackboard and log in separately to Connect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to understand how the software works before trying to connect it to your course site. This can be tricky for a first-time user. I also found it difficult to reuse a course shell. Somehow it impacts the other courses if you change dates, particularly when a current course is available. I would recommend setting up a new course each time to avoid this issue.

No business problems necessarily but it helps me with grading since I have really large classes.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Good system for students, efficient for instructor"

What do you like best?

I like that students receive instant feedback and solutions. Similarly I like that it makes my grading efficient (very little time spent there).

What do you dislike?

Many students ask for additional resources. I've found sometimes they can't access the power point slides. It would be great if there were prebuilt practice problems not worth any points. I would also recommend having short, interesting videos that accompany the key concepts in each chapter.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Connect has a very friendly user interface that some competitors don't have. Their system provides multiple options and tools the increase learning for students. The algorithmic questions are nice to discourage any cheating and giving students more practice. As I mentioned before, Connect provides for efficient grading for instructor and has nice compatibility with Canvas.

1) I use the Learnsmart to encourage the students to read the book and check their comprehension

2) I want the students to be able to practice on their own, but still be able to receive good feedback so they cant figure things out

3) I want my time to be used as efficiently as possible. So I like the instant grading features.

4) I like (especially for the new platform) how it interfaces with Canvas. It populates all assignments, dates, points, and grades automatically. Reduces my course setup time each semester.

McGraw-Hill review by User in Higher Education

"McGraw Hill CONNECT makes online teaching so much easier!"

What do you like best?

I love that CONNECT integrates with D2L and I can embed Connect right within D2L.

I also love that grades can be automatically transferred to D2L.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I have to use Grade Sync to transfer the grades, I wish the D2L grade book automatically updated with the students score once they were finished with the assignment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Improves the quality of teaching and assignments for an online course.

I also use it for my face-to-face classes to complete their assignments so the grading is completed for me.

Saves time in grading since the assignments are auto graded and I save time entering those grades into the grade book.

McGraw-Hill review by Denice P.
Denice P.

"Connect is the best!!"

What do you like best?

I have been using Connect for years and it just keeps getting better. My students love using it and I find it easy to use. Customer service has always been efficient handling an issue.

What do you dislike?

As a professor, I would like to be able to use Connect on my iPad.

The benefits have been realized by my students. There are so many tools for them to use that support their learning experience.

McGraw-Hill review by Nathan A.
Nathan A.

"Using Mcgraw Hill Connect"

What do you like best?

The setup allows for students to study the material in-depth in addition to study during class time. It also allows the instructor be more efficient in the delivery.

What do you dislike?

There is not a calculator built in to Connect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that Connect is going toward being able to be used on all mobile devices.

Reduced time grading, better accuracy, less time with class preparation. high quality content for students.

McGraw-Hill review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Possibly the worst learning aid I've ever used"

What do you like best?

I honestly am having a hard time coming up with a single good thing about it.

What do you dislike?

LearnSmart in particular is the absolute most abysmal education tool I've used in years. It basically is an E-Book version of the standard textbook (as always, atrociously overpriced).

I had to use it for an accounting class. I only had the option to buy either Connect access to the class OR Connect access AND the textbook, so I obviously chose the cheaper option.

I'm a design minor and my goodness is this interface awful. Clunky, inefficient, poorly coded. It also keeps annoying me with obnoxious popups telling me arbitrarily when to read and when to begin questions. Stop it!

It's touted as this innovative blend of reading and slipping right into a quiz of 30 questions (for this book anyway) per chapter. Probably the worst part of this already horrible product. It is incredibly picky on the answers it wants and is extremely tedious, far more than any other testing method I've seen. They give you unlimited tries. It just devolves into me clicking random buttons hoping I get the correct answer, which eventually I do. What an absolute waste of my time.

Never buy this product. Overpriced for students and does not aid in learning whatsoever. Teachers, if you require your students to use this, SHAME on you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Overpriced for the student, absolute waste of time and money. Ineffective as a teaching aid.

Required for class. What a waste of $200. Makes me ill thinking of useful ways I could have used the money instead of on this garbage.

"Connect Review"

What do you like best?

I used McGraw-Hill connect for an online course I took in graduate school. I like the navigation and easy-to-understand menu options.It also helped me keep everything in one place.

What do you dislike?

Some of the picture icons on the left were not intuitive. For example, I could not easily identify what "eyeglasses" or the third icon from the bottom was when initially logging in. Words may have been more helpful that ambiguous icons here.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The design is minimal, which makes it great. There isn't too much clutter or flashiness, it gets you straight to the information.

As a student, McGraw-Hill Connect allowed me to connect in real-time to my classmates and professor while hosting all assignments and feedback in one place. I was able to access readings, discussion panels, and chats from all people in my class.

User in Education Management

"Used for access to lesson activities, homework, and assessments"

What do you like best?

Matches well with the content from the textbook. Digital resources could be downloaded and printed out to give handouts to students.

What do you dislike?

Difficult to incorporate it into a digital platform for students.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product did not do a very good job of assigning things to students. I did not use it for that purpose, but got feedback from another teacher who had. My main use was to access the worksheets for classwork and homework, and review for assessments.

A bounty of resources that I could access from any digital platform whether at work or at home.

"Good immediate feedback"

What do you like best?

I like that students can do problems multiple times with different numbers. It is good for practice.

What do you dislike?

One drawback to this type of platform is that the structure is pre-defined. So students don't have a blank slate to solve a problem. Overall, I think the benefits overcome the downsides, but students who take an exam with a blank sheet of paper might feel unprepared if they don't have the format laid out for them as they do in the homework.

It has helped manage student homework assignments and learning. Students are able to effectively complete homework assignments and learn key concepts.

McGraw-Hill review by User in Wireless
User in Wireless

"Mc Graw Hill Education Review"

What do you like best?

It is very user-friendly. Available on multiple platforms. Supports different types of assignments, pdfs, word, videos and audio files. It's a very wholesome solution to e-learning.

What do you dislike?

Their pricing is through the roof. Students have to re-think before taking classes because their courses can go up to more than $200 for one subject. Their trial versions are extremely short too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look for other options before you buy a key for a few hundred dollars. If you find the prices affordable, this is probably the best solution out there.

Notes, discussions, e-book, learning, quizzes, test, homework.

McGraw-Hill review by User

"Horrible experience"

What do you like best?

I do not like anything about this product. I downloaded a PDF for the textbook content (runs smoothly) and got this product because our professor made it mandatory.

What do you dislike?

The Reading UI is unusable after an "update" and I paid nearly 200 dollars for this product. The resolution and smoothness is normal before the update, but after, the text became blurrier and the lag makes the software unusable. It often crashes my browser. (Note: I did not change anything on my laptop before or after the update) This is frustrating because this UI (Reading interface) is required for me to answer practice questions for my grade. The service is extremely slow. They cannot provide a solution to this other than letting me troubleshoot my browser (2015 Macbook Pro Retina). The quiz/assignment interface runs smoothly, however the system for typing chemical equations and molecular structures can be impossible to use (It is extremely obsolete and needs a major update). This product can only be acquired through the purchase of the text-book($200) or E-book ($100). If it were worth the money (Modern UI and built-in softwares and faster/helpful customer service), I would not regret buying it. However, it isn't.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I admit the quizzes, assignments and problems can be useful to some. However, the obsolete system and UI it uses poses as a huge obstacle. I, personally, find all of these to be useless, yet I must complete them for my grade. The issues make it difficult for me to do so. If your instructor makes Connect mandatory, I am sorry. If you have to option to choose, please choose other options.

This product is used by our instructor to solidify our knowledge concerning the course material. Thus, assignments, reading practice and quizzes are given through this platform. However, I do not think I benefited from this software. I did not focus on the practice provided by this software at all (Found answers online) and continued to achieve an A in the course (Average: B, Class size: 400+).

McGraw-Hill review by User in Higher Education

"Review for McGraw-Hill Connect"

What do you like best?

It is great way to assign homework assignments,practice problems and track student progress. Also having e-textbook is very useful so that I do not need to carry the textbook.

What do you dislike?

The process to setup a course with a new textbook could take a long time.Sometime there are formatting errors and students get a wrong answers. It would help to have the formatting guidelines handy so that when students are working they can check the formatting requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend the product to instructors. It is very helpful if you have a very large section. It makes grading very easy.

McGraw-Hill connect helps both students and professors. We can customize the assignments according to the students needs and it provides a prompt feedback. It make learning easy and fun.

McGraw-Hill review by Michael C.
Michael C.

"Clunky user interface slows down what would otherwise be a great wbesite"

What do you like best?

Very modern vibe to the user interface currently implemented. Does a relatively good job of communicating homework problems to students. Has a fairly straightforward information submission system, albeit can be a little dysfunctional at times (expanded on in the dislike section).

What do you dislike?

Clunky user interface. Does not allow students to save and resume work, oftentimes crashes in the middle of a problem. Some of the buttons and clickable links are faulty and oftentimes do not work. Very basic and limited in terms of features and variety of options that it provides you with. Does not provide as many features as competing online homework platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please update the slow and sluggish user interface that your website uses. Instead of having all the information located on a central homepage, spread it out, in order to be more aesthetically pleasing on the eyes. There are several bugs and glitches that have been reported over time, but very few have been fixed. Crashed websites often lead to frustration and dissatisfaction with the product. Very high price point for the relative low amount of features and usability it brings, as compared to competing online platforms.

This website is used primarily for communicating problems or challenges to students. This website is capable of recording student responses and self-grading these responses, thus providing students with instantaneous feedback. However, the clunky user interface destroys whatever potential that McGraw Hill Connect originally had.

McGraw-Hill review by User in Higher Education

"Helps students and teachers, but not perfect"

What do you like best?

I like that students can get instant feedback and assistance with homework, and I don't have to grade it!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I don't like the way the problems are set up - formatting can be confusing for students, or the it will auto-calculate for them, and then students don't learn the formula.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not perfect - but the pros far outweigh the cons.

It definitely eases grading for me, and since I save time grading, I have more time to teach how my students are doing.

McGraw-Hill review by Marlena S.
Marlena S.

"ConnectEd is easy to understand"

What do you like best?

I like that all the materials are on the site so that I can find and use them at school or at home. I like the presentation mode as it's easy to click through when teaching a lesson.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the calendar. It's very hard to change when I have non-teaching days and often is not connected to the days I'm actually teaching. This is important because my parents and students can login for extra practice on the week's skill but if it's not set correctly, they aren't getting the correct practice.

It's also very hard to find the actual practice pages in the books I want to use. They do not match up to the page numbers and even when searching specifically such as "Unit 3, Week 1 Spelling" it come up with every page BUT the one I need!

none

McGraw-Hill review by Magdy F.
Magdy F.

"A good homework platform"

What do you like best?

This platform provides an easy and exiting way to do the homework. Also it provides a great help in grading homework.

What do you dislike?

The think I do not like about it is that some students use it as a way to guess the answers. Doing the homework the old way sometimes it challenges the students a little more than just doing it using connect. Also, sometime the students get confused over a little difference between their answers and the correct answers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think using any homework platform is really helpful for both the students and the instructors as long as it is reliable and consistent. It save a lot of your grading time.

It is very helpful with accounting concepts and problems. The benefit is that I spend less time for grading.

McGraw-Hill review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Excellent"

What do you like best?

Students get feedback as they are doing their homework.

As the instructor I can do detailed data anaylsis to detetermine where my students are struggling

I can also make assignments on the spot as I see fit.

What do you dislike?

Oftentimes the students get frustrated with the formatting of Financial Reports. There are blank lines left and they think they need to fill them out but they are just blank

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend this product to all Accounting Instructors!

Being extremly efficient in my classroom with which problems to go over. Through data analysis I can determine exactly which problems to go over and which the majority of students are ok with.

Efficiency in making problems on the spot in the classroom

McGraw-Hill review by Julie D.
Julie D.

"I actively attempt to avoid classes that ask you to sign up for it. "

What do you like best?

It forces teachers to allow their students multiple attempts. Which helps.

What do you dislike?

Everything. The price, the whole entire sign-up procedure. The AI not accounting for rounding errors. It's just a generally horrible thing to require. It makes teachers lazy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's sometimes a problem with the login where they won't recognize your password even if it's correct. There's not helping it. Tech support will not help you. Nothing will save you. Just give up and get your money back as quickly as possible.

None. I needed it for class. 1 out of the 2 times I used it ended in failure of even getting into my class assignments. It was a train wreck which lead me to not only dropping my class, but losing nearly 800 dollars in the process.

McGraw-Hill review by Emily S.
Emily S.

"Review of McGraw Hill Education."

What do you like best?

I liked the weekly tests given and graded online.

What do you dislike?

I did not like how all the weekly material went day by day.

I am realizing an issue with adding students to classes. A benefit is quicker grading.

Learning about McGraw-Hill Connect?

* We monitor all McGraw-Hill Connect reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.