Media Temple Web Hosting

Media Temple Web Hosting provides hosting services designed to help managed web sites, apps, platforms, and blogs.

Work for Media Temple Web Hosting?

Learning about Media Temple?

Media Temple Web Hosting Reviews

Showing 17 Media Temple reviews
Media Temple review by Nicholas K.
Nicholas K.

"Definitely Better Hosting Out There"

What do you like best?

If there was anything that I enjoy about Media Temple, it's that they are pretty responsive when it comes to customer service. Unfortunately, that's about it. You will find that you are contacting them fairly often. The prices were fairly competitive as well. The security package was astronomically expensive, but the hosting itself from Media Temple was actually not too bad.

What do you dislike?

The up/down time is actually pretty awful. Also, let's talk about their "security" that they have in place. We were hosting about 400 different domains on their server, and we were constantly fighting off spam and malware with Media Temple. The customer service is pretty good, but unfortunately I felt like we were contacting them a few times a week because we were constantly having issues.

The speed of the servers were also pretty lacking. At times we would get timeouts because the websites would fail to load, but other times I felt like the websites were blazing fast. The service was very on and off for us unfortunately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just beware as to what you are getting into, there are definitely better hosting solutions out there.

We used to think that Media Temple was great for hosting, but we recently moved most of our hosting to another company. After switching, we realized just how little we knew about good hosting when we were with Media Temple. Please do your research on as many hosting companies as you can before deciding!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Media Temple Web Hosting
Media Temple review by Matthew M.
Matthew M.

"Top Teir web hosting and first class customer service."

What do you like best?

I love the customer service, i've never run into better customer service. Reps are knowledgeable, friendly, never condescending or rude. they have a very extensive list of features, all backed up by their excellent support.

What do you dislike?

My only critique is that some times some of their paid support features vanish without notice. This has happened a couple times, I assume because it wasn't profitable or cost effective, but there wasn't any notice or explanation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I wholeheartedly recommend MediaTemple to anyone looking for affordable and high quality web site hosting. They can handle any website with solutions for small, simple sites to complicated ecommerce sites needing a dedicated server. They offer managed and unmanaged Virtual servers as well.

Hosting for myself and other my other web site clients. I am allowed 100 websites per cloud hosting account and nearly no limit for their virtual servers. I'm a fan of both and have used both without any complaints.

What Web Hosting solution do you use?

Media Temple review by Kevin S.
Kevin S.

"Great Hosting company with a few small Problems"

What do you like best?

I really like their packages and the login area to manage everything. Truly an amazing experience and loved almost everything about it when I was with Media Temple for my own sites as well as the sites of all my clients. I really liked the WordPress hosting as it gave all the essentials without overloading a newbie with too much detail and information.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the pricing and the support could use some work. I found that I was almost always speaking to the same people on the support chat which could be due to a low number of support staff, but I also about that many times I would leave the chat not knowing nearly enough of what I needed to do to get my request complete. The Parallels system could have used much better servers at the time I used them (2012-2015).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for WordPress hosting, they have great solutions. Otherwise I personally think there are better options out there.

Media Temple is great for basic WordPress users and some of their products would be amazing for more experienced developers but I found that with Media Temple I wasn't solving enough of the issues I was having with Hosting to stay much longer.

Media Temple review by Miles S.
Miles S.

"Great Support & Reliability"

What do you like best?

Media Temple has been my preferred host for a few years now and I have had a great experience with them. Tickets are answered often within an hour, their phone support is top-notch, and their uptime has been exceptional.

What do you dislike?

At times their shared VPS platform requires some type of migration if you want to upgrade or simply to move you to a different server and it can cause downtime. The notice for this isn't apparent every time to me and causes 5-15 mins of downtime. This is a rare occurrence, but it is something to note.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a high quality VPS with support to match, Media Temple is a good choice. Their support and response times are very good and valuable to us and their pricing is reasonable as well. We have also had very little, if any, downtime which is great.

We are using Media Temple's VPS platform to host several small one-off websites that run Joomla and WordPress. With Media Temple we have been able to quickly and rapidly deploy these sites as needed without burdening our development team who work on our main websites and systems.

Media Temple review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Dont use their shared hosting if you prefer up time...or support"

What do you like best?

The basic premise of hosting on a shared service - Our site works, just don't assume it will be up all of the time. They are also pretty responsive to support responses, as long as you don't mind having to go back and forth several times to get an answer that is not a canned one. They do have cheap pricing but you absolutely get what you pay for in this case. Their billing is easy and straight forward.

What do you dislike?

The Up/Downtime is awful. We set up an email alert to generate when our site goes down. We get several of these every week. Some are only for 10 seconds or so, but really? Their customer service is always friendly. Having to go back and forth with them to; 1. get an answer about what is going wrong and 2. how to fix it. They tend to not give you all of the info you need, which then requires that you keep contacting them for follow up. Server speed is also a huge issue. We will consistently get timeouts because the website will fail to load. And when you loose development work because of this, it gets frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Switch to another host

The main problem we are solving for is of course...hosting. They are also very inexpensive. The cheapest isn't always the best though. Please do your research on as many hosting companies as you can before deciding!

Media Temple review by William L.
William L.

"Reliable & Fast DV Hosting"

What do you like best?

We use Media Temple for 5 of our websites and continue to be pleased with the reliability of our dv server and the customer support. The sites generally load pretty fast and for serious businesses it's definitely superior to cheaper shared hosting platforms.

What do you dislike?

Some of the support documentation appears dated and often I will have to research things outside their Help area. But all in all, this is a pretty minor complaint. The knowledge of their support team is generally high but occasionally you will be connected with someone that doesn't appear fully educated about their platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The hosting space is incredibly competitive but we consider MT to be among the elite and will continue to be a customer in the years to come.

We decided on Media Temple based on cost, reliability and speed. We also recently switched one site to HTTPS and their support team was very helpful. In fact, we were able to complete that project in about an hour with no additional cost other than the license itself.

Media Temple review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Below Standard"

What do you like best?

About the only thing I can comment on positively is the fact they use Plesk for the hosting management panel, which is one of the two biggest panels, cPanel being the biggest and the best.

Other than this I find MT very disappointing for a company they gives itself such a professional front.

What do you dislike?

Hosting with MT is not ideal for any of the clients who I work with, it appears their VPS is stretched within it's limits to cram as many clients as possible onto their servers, my feeling for this is because the VPS servers seem to be slow and clunky with terrible First Time Byte results.

Fairly often the VPS will slow down or fail to respond completely, which for a medium sized business is extremely frustrating.

I find other VPS hosting providers have better performance and usually at half the cost. With much better support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you do your research and make sure your apps are not heavy or slow on their service.

Try and get an evaluation before you commit, I have not had great experiences with these guys.

MT is not a hosting provider I use personally, however we have many clients who use MT to host their businesses, so we end up working with MT allot. They provide a hosting solution which is easy for clients to setup. However this is where the benefits end, and personally would not use or recommend these guys for hosting anything.

Media Temple review by Matt M.
Matt M.

"MediaTemple"

What do you like best?

Great hosting, it's definitely more expensive to have dedicated hosting but with an ecommerce site it is worth it. Support is very helpful and can usually get you an answer quickly or point you in the right direction.

What do you dislike?

I don't like all of the pin codes for support but it is not too much of a big deal. Sometimes it is hard to find the exact hosting feature you need with the different versions and everything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it if you need dedicated hosting, much better support and speed than godaddy.

We needed hosting for a Magento based site that was large and needed to be fast and accommodate a large number of users.

Media Temple review by Mitchell O.
Mitchell O.

"Regular outages with poor customer services."

What do you like best?

Their chat feature with support was easy to use but provided answers that were not in the best interest of the customer.

What do you dislike?

Most everything. Our corporate website experienced several outages. When I called for service and waiting 25 minutes, suddenly the website went live again. The support was combative blaming our team for exceeding the storage limitations. Instead of turning this into an opportunity to educate us on how to better use the service, we were scolded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

After cancelling our account, they did not refund us, instead, they offered credit for future hosting. Why would we ever go back to an unreliable host with poor support?

We needed a secure, reliable host for our corporate website.

Media Temple review by LUIS ANGEL C.
LUIS ANGEL C.

"Excellent service and very secure"

What do you like best?

I have the wordpress hosting, and it's very fast. The staging options are very useful and includes emails accounts. You can host 3 domains in the same account. The support (chat) it's awesome, always these guys have solved my problems.

What do you dislike?

It's a very expensive, specially for Latin America, and the server cache it's sometimes annoying when you are modifying the theme of you website. I would love if have support in spanish.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Media Temple it's simply the best hosting provider for a website. If you have a website in wordpress and you expect to have a lot of traffic, and also wants to secure your information, Media Temple is the best option. I love the chat support. I'm in Bogota Colombia, and I prefer the chat because my english isn't very good: The support guys are very kind and patience, always they have solved my questions.

We need a hosting provider for a website with a lot of traffic, and secure for e-commerce transactions. We need also a hosting specialized in wordpress sites, and an excellent support.

Media Temple review by User in Recreational Facilities and Services
User in Recreational Facilities and Services

"Pretty good product at a premium price"

What do you like best?

Media Temple is definitely what you'd call a full service web hosting provider. They have everything from shared hosting to managed dedicated servers to completed self managed dedicated servers. I really like the flexibility and wide offering of products that they offer–it makes setting up a new company/service/etc super easy.

What do you dislike?

The price. Media Temple is pretty overpriced for what you actually get.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want really good uptime and pretty much no hassle, but don't mind paying a premium price, Media Temple is a great choice.

Our entire company is essentially hosted on (mt). We really love the flexibility of keeping all of our DNS & server management in one place. If we need to add a new server, it's as easy as the click of a button, then just pointing the domain there. So simple that pretty much anybody on our team is comfortable with doing it. We also have benefitted from their fast and effective support many times.

Media Temple review by Daniel J.
Daniel J.

"Best Hosting and Domain I've Used"

What do you like best?

Media Temple is the next hosting and domain service I've used. Their service is second to none, they were able to help resolve a few PHP issues and upgrade my core language quickly. Database setup was really easy and administration was great as well. I'd highly recommend Media Temple to anyone who is looking for a great host, you definitely get what you pay for.

What do you dislike?

I don't have much to complain about here, but their domain records page is a little confusing and not as intuitive as other providers. It's definitely not a deal breaker and even with this issue I'd still recommend them, but if I"m being nit picky this could be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend Media Temple to others. They may be a little more on the higher end side of pricing, but with their great support and easy to use interface, they definitely worth the price and you get what you pay for, especially compared to some of the lower priced competitors.

I was able to host multiple sites on a shared server. Even though it's a shared server, everything worked great and was reliable and fast.

Media Temple review by Henry P.
Henry P.

"Media Temple is the Bently of webhosting "

What do you like best?

By far the best feature of media temple is the support staff! They are on point and it is a rare pleasure to deal with them on the phone ( rarely things go wrong). The few large clients we have that use Media Temple have a high volume of web traffic. If you have a series of websites or business that depends on a high bandwidth I would trust no other vendor than media temple due to the reliability of their network and servers. Yes, media temple is expensive, but if you take the stability/reliability of your website seriously it is worth the extra cost. The developer tools are also REALLY top tier- again you get what you pay for.

What do you dislike?

The cost, would be the only minus. If you plan on making a small website with little traffic ( a portfoilo, wedding website, small restaurant website, ect) I would suggest using a cheaper vendor because you won't be utilizing the full potential of their services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are serious about your website / ebusiness then why gamble with a cheap webhosting company. I can't think of any vendor I would trust more than media temple.

Media Temple review by Mahmoud D.
Mahmoud D.

"Great hosting company"

What do you like best?

Media Temple is a very good hosting service that is way better in customer service than GoDaddy. We moved to Media temple because of the poor customer service in GoDaddy. They are also reliable

What do you dislike?

There WordPress hosting service is not reliable. They will always push you to get your WordPress site into a dedicated server

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you use dedicated server. Also make sure to young cloudtech support if you don't have an admin team in house. It is a peace of mind.

Web site, portals, hosting, administration.

Media Temple review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Fantastic Shared and VPS Experience"

What do you like best?

Honestly I loved the management console for Media Temple so much more than their competitors. I've hosted sites on a number of their competitors and it always seemed like they were just throwing the kitchen sink at you with a terrible interface that was difficult to understand. Not media temple. Their admin panel is thoughtful, clean and easy to navigate. It makes using their self-managed VPS solution absolutely painless.

What do you dislike?

Honestly not much. My only issue was that there were times on the shared host where I would have issues with another tenant causing problems. Switching over to a VPS solved this and then some.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not a sys-admin by trade, consider going with their managed VPS options. Their staff is knowledgeable and incredibly responsive. If you know what your doing and don't mind having to do some administration, by all means go for their self-managed VPS hosting. Start out with a smaller size and grow as needed. If you're going to host a WordPress site, just go straight to their hosted WordPress offering which is managed and a steal for the monthly cost. WordPress is one of the largest targets for hackers on the web, managed hosting for it will save you from a lot of headaches and hassles.

For a number of years I was using Media Temple to host a number of client applications in the Film/Media space. These ranged from small sites with very little traffic to very busy commercial sites that had much higher bandwidth consumption needs. For both applications, media temple came through and performed perfectly for what was needed. If a system needed more resources, they were a simple click away.

Media Temple review by C. Spencer B.
C. Spencer B.

"Used to Be the Best Now Not So Much"

What do you like best?

I used to recommend Rackspace to all my clients. Today I don't. They are more expensive and slower than AWS or Digital Ocean for smaller projects, and setting up multiple server for more complex projects feels messy.

What do you dislike?

Customer supports is not great. Their API is second-rate compared to AWS and Digital Ocean. Have had multiple billing issues over the years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use AWS or Digital Ocean

I used MediaTemple to host websites for my clients. I don't do long-term support of many projects so it is nice to have a company that non-technical clients can turn to for support.

Media Temple review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Excellent Beginners Host! "

What do you like best?

First of all it offers the latest technology (they are always adding the new "best" technology) and you can easily install CMS's like Wordpress and Drupal. Along with robust plans for growth and business class email it is the best first hosting plan to get. The last major yes is their customer service is excellent. The customer service reps are extremely knowledgeable.

What do you dislike?

Biggest issue, it lacks Windows-based servers. VPS and dedicated server plans are expensive and there are a few capped features that are very annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome hosting as a first time user (client wise) Especially because I'm impressed with how fast Media Temple responds to customer requests. All of my live chat requests were answered immediately.

Trying to find an affordable host for a client who has never had a website/host.

Learning about Media Temple Web Hosting?

* We monitor all Media Temple Web Hosting reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.