Meltwater

Manage and measure a data-driven PR program with hyper-targeted search, pitching, social media and journalist relations features.

Work for Meltwater?

Video Review

Reviewed On March 23, 2018

Meltwater review by <span>Jennifer D.</span>
Jennifer D.

Features do not work as marketed, poor customer service

What do you like best?

There is nothing about this product I would recommend to a colleague.

What do you dislike?

Some features were appealing, but because the media lists and news monitoring features were incomplete and inaccurate, features such as reporting, analytics, and press release distribution became useless.

Incomplete and inaccurate media lists, which rendered the press release distribution function useless because we couldn't send a press release to the reporters or influencers we were trying to target.

News monitoring is not comprehensive and misses simple things Google can pick up (and there is not integration option with Google search)

Analytics function was rendered useless, since the media montioring did not pick up all media coverage of clients.

Product would go down and not function for hours at least once a week.

Poor customer service (Impossible to get a timely response from account managers and when they did respond, they were always looking into solutions, but rarely provided solutions)

No benefits realized with this software.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Meltwater
Meltwater review by <span>Mark C.</span>
Mark C.

Great Product for Trade Associations

What do you like best?

The interface is very easy. It provides a quick, easy to read snapshot of all of our activities and campaigns. In addition we can measure overall success of our communication efforts as well as specific initiatives and easy determine what is resonating and other areas where more focus needs to be given (or de-prioritized).

What do you dislike?

Log in to multiple platforms and sometimes the it is hard to find specific instructions for different items.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Figure out what your needs are first and your strategy. Then talk to a Meltwater representative and they can typically walk you through how exactly the system will meet your needs. For small and mid-size associations, Meltwater staff is a great resource for reports and/or research that goes beyond the online system and will save you a great deal of time and be able to make better reports to your executives and board.

It is easy to identify new reporters and key influencers without much work. Also, it is very easy to show the value of communications to the senior leadership team and the board. As a result, they have responded with a better understanding of the role of communications within the organization.

What PR Analytics solution do you use?

Meltwater review by <span>Meredith L.</span>
Meredith L.

Powerful product; exemplary support

What do you like best?

Meltwater is an extremely powerful product, but it is set up in such a way that it feels simple and approachable. The customer support is out of this world. Working with Meltwater has allowed our organization to streamline and improve many of our p.r. and communications practices.

What do you dislike?

You have to enter your password every time you use the app. I know it seems simple, but it's enough of a barrier to enter that it keeps me from using the app as much as I would like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize your account manager. This tool is more powerful than you have time to realize and they can help shed light on the benefits

Crises prevention: we see our name in the news before anyone else sees it; social media simplification: we can monitor and engage with our seven channels in one simple platform; reporting: marketing/pr/social media can be obscure and Meltwater's tools help us translate the work we do to the stakeholders who care

Meltwater review by <span>Matar G.</span>
Matar G.

Amazing tool

What do you like best?

I love that I can monitor social and media with one click of a button, create visual dashboards and set up reports that get sent to my leadership. I can easily look up an article during a crisis and determine its reach and social shares to determine if it is indeed something that needs full attention. I also really like the ability to follow certain users on social and get live alerts when they post content that relates to my industry, this makes it easy to catch things happening on social that I would otherwise miss. There have been many times where we have been able to get ahead of a bad tweet.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that there is a separate login portal for the engage tool and the monitoring tool, wish it was just one login.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and compare it to your other monitoring efforts, I guarantee you will find it comprehensive and time-saving.

we are able to monitor the reach of our earned and generated media. We are also able to push out social content via the engage tool and tag our content so that we can pull metrics and report to our board of directors the messages that we actively pushed as they relate to our overall goals and objectives.

Meltwater review by <span>Devon M.</span>
Devon M.

More Value in Journalist Database than the Brand Tracking

What do you like best?

Meltwater's journalist database (aka Influencers) makes it quick and easy to find and send content to relevant writers that may be interested in your material. You can search for journalists by topics they've written about or their beat and easily add them into categorized lists. You can personalize and send a message in a matter of minutes.

What do you dislike?

In my experience, Mention does a better job at capturing a full picture of brand mentions than Meltwater. Meltwater misses a lot of important finds that I get through Mention, and also sends me low quality mentions that Mention doesn't.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I urge you to use both Meltwater and Mention at the same time for your first year to compare and see if you want to renew your contract. Also read the cancellation policy carefully; when reading reviews I learned that their cancellation policy is non-transparent and requires a 60 day notice.

We use Meltwater to track mentions of our brand as well as reach submit content to media for potential republishing. Meltwater helps us to promote and track ourselves as industry thought leaders. It also allows us to see the efficiency of our press releases by tracking coverage after publishing.

Meltwater review by <span>Darren R.</span>
Darren R.

Amazing customer service

What do you like best?

The Meltwater tools are powerful, but it is their customer service that stands out for me. I've never had a more attentive, proactive and involved software / solutions partner. This is my first social media/news monitoring platform so I don't have anything to compare Meltwater with, but it meets our current needs.

What do you dislike?

I only wish I had more time and budget to invest in more of their products. The sales team is driven, ie: pushy and persistent, however, I'm glad they were as I was reluctant to buy, but now I am thrilled with the decision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Price is extremely negotiable. Like buying a new car, don't pay the sticker price. The price drops when you "walk away" and at quarter/yearend as they try to make their sales quotas.

Using Meltwater we've been able to bring our entire public relations efforts in-house and no longer contract out media monitoring or outreach services.

Learning about Meltwater?

* We monitor all Meltwater reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.