Meltwater

3.7

Manage and measure a data-driven PR program with hyper-targeted search, pitching, social media and journalist relations features.

Work for Meltwater?

Learning about Meltwater?

Meltwater Reviews

Showing 553 Meltwater reviews
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Meltwater
Meltwater review by Jennifer D.
Jennifer D.

"Features do not work as marketed, poor customer service"

What do you like best?

There is nothing about this product I would recommend to a colleague.

What do you dislike?

Some features were appealing, but because the media lists and news monitoring features were incomplete and inaccurate, features such as reporting, analytics, and press release distribution became useless.

Incomplete and inaccurate media lists, which rendered the press release distribution function useless because we couldn't send a press release to the reporters or influencers we were trying to target.

News monitoring is not comprehensive and misses simple things Google can pick up (and there is not integration option with Google search)

Analytics function was rendered useless, since the media montioring did not pick up all media coverage of clients.

Product would go down and not function for hours at least once a week.

Poor customer service (Impossible to get a timely response from account managers and when they did respond, they were always looking into solutions, but rarely provided solutions)

No benefits realized with this software.

What PR Analytics solution do you use?

Meltwater review by Valorie C.
Valorie C.

"Customer Service is the Key"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the customer service I receive from Meltwater. Any question I have is resolved within that day, and my issues are many times "user error" or simply me not knowing how to fully access the capabilities. Meltwater is a powerful tool, and I could not survive without it. My bosses are looking to me to be able to target a specific audience within a moment's notice. It also helps me with monitoring and reporting the coverage we receive.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes feel the platform has been so "easy" it is "hard." So, I have my team of students help me navigate it.

We are able to send out our news to very specific georgraphic areas. I also am able to find contacts of many high profile media people whenever I need to. This keeps my process moving on without slowing me down.

Meltwater review by Mark C.
Mark C.

"Great Product for Trade Associations"

What do you like best?

The interface is very easy. It provides a quick, easy to read snapshot of all of our activities and campaigns. In addition we can measure overall success of our communication efforts as well as specific initiatives and easy determine what is resonating and other areas where more focus needs to be given (or de-prioritized).

What do you dislike?

Log in to multiple platforms and sometimes the it is hard to find specific instructions for different items.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Figure out what your needs are first and your strategy. Then talk to a Meltwater representative and they can typically walk you through how exactly the system will meet your needs. For small and mid-size associations, Meltwater staff is a great resource for reports and/or research that goes beyond the online system and will save you a great deal of time and be able to make better reports to your executives and board.

It is easy to identify new reporters and key influencers without much work. Also, it is very easy to show the value of communications to the senior leadership team and the board. As a result, they have responded with a better understanding of the role of communications within the organization.

Meltwater review by Meredith L.
Meredith L.

"Powerful product; exemplary support"

What do you like best?

Meltwater is an extremely powerful product, but it is set up in such a way that it feels simple and approachable. The customer support is out of this world. Working with Meltwater has allowed our organization to streamline and improve many of our p.r. and communications practices.

What do you dislike?

You have to enter your password every time you use the app. I know it seems simple, but it's enough of a barrier to enter that it keeps me from using the app as much as I would like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize your account manager. This tool is more powerful than you have time to realize and they can help shed light on the benefits

Crises prevention: we see our name in the news before anyone else sees it; social media simplification: we can monitor and engage with our seven channels in one simple platform; reporting: marketing/pr/social media can be obscure and Meltwater's tools help us translate the work we do to the stakeholders who care

Meltwater review by Matar G.
Matar G.

"Amazing tool"

What do you like best?

I love that I can monitor social and media with one click of a button, create visual dashboards and set up reports that get sent to my leadership. I can easily look up an article during a crisis and determine its reach and social shares to determine if it is indeed something that needs full attention. I also really like the ability to follow certain users on social and get live alerts when they post content that relates to my industry, this makes it easy to catch things happening on social that I would otherwise miss. There have been many times where we have been able to get ahead of a bad tweet.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that there is a separate login portal for the engage tool and the monitoring tool, wish it was just one login.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and compare it to your other monitoring efforts, I guarantee you will find it comprehensive and time-saving.

we are able to monitor the reach of our earned and generated media. We are also able to push out social content via the engage tool and tag our content so that we can pull metrics and report to our board of directors the messages that we actively pushed as they relate to our overall goals and objectives.

Meltwater review by Devon M.
Devon M.

"More Value in Journalist Database than the Brand Tracking "

What do you like best?

Meltwater's journalist database (aka Influencers) makes it quick and easy to find and send content to relevant writers that may be interested in your material. You can search for journalists by topics they've written about or their beat and easily add them into categorized lists. You can personalize and send a message in a matter of minutes.

What do you dislike?

In my experience, Mention does a better job at capturing a full picture of brand mentions than Meltwater. Meltwater misses a lot of important finds that I get through Mention, and also sends me low quality mentions that Mention doesn't.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I urge you to use both Meltwater and Mention at the same time for your first year to compare and see if you want to renew your contract. Also read the cancellation policy carefully; when reading reviews I learned that their cancellation policy is non-transparent and requires a 60 day notice.

We use Meltwater to track mentions of our brand as well as reach submit content to media for potential republishing. Meltwater helps us to promote and track ourselves as industry thought leaders. It also allows us to see the efficiency of our press releases by tracking coverage after publishing.

Meltwater review by Darren R.
Darren R.

"Amazing customer service"

What do you like best?

The Meltwater tools are powerful, but it is their customer service that stands out for me. I've never had a more attentive, proactive and involved software / solutions partner. This is my first social media/news monitoring platform so I don't have anything to compare Meltwater with, but it meets our current needs.

What do you dislike?

I only wish I had more time and budget to invest in more of their products. The sales team is driven, ie: pushy and persistent, however, I'm glad they were as I was reluctant to buy, but now I am thrilled with the decision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Price is extremely negotiable. Like buying a new car, don't pay the sticker price. The price drops when you "walk away" and at quarter/yearend as they try to make their sales quotas.

Using Meltwater we've been able to bring our entire public relations efforts in-house and no longer contract out media monitoring or outreach services.

Meltwater review by Brianna Z.
Brianna Z.

"Meltwater is a great resource for gathering and organizing information for my company."

What do you like best?

There are many reports that assist with my monthly social recap. I also love that Meltwater picks up on every mention across social platforms.

What do you dislike?

There are so many features that are a little out of my budget working at a nonprofit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Meltwater is an all inclusive system that offers so much more than just social and media monitoring. You can monitor, record and measure social endeavors. You also have the ability to pitch, contact and gather all media information you are mentioned in via TV, print and digital.

One of our main issues to finding out what people were saying about us. Many times, people do not tag or even correctly spell our names on social channels and in the media. Meltwater has helped us find all of these mentions and act on them when needed.

Meltwater review by Jenn T.
Jenn T.

"Must-have tool for any marketer"

What do you like best?

The tool is very intuitive, and you're ready to start using it immediately, even before training. I'm able to create reports easily as well.

In Engage, I love the social calendar, where I am able to see all my profiles in one go, as well as the ability to duplicate any posts quickly and easily. Another favourite is being able to schedule a post multiple times in a single go.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more configurations available in the charts (as well as formatting legends, titles, colours, etc).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is easy to use and makes your life easier!

Automation is key! The ability to monitor all pages (which are managed by other team members) is really helpful. Also the ability to task others with particular posts is great.

Meltwater review by Tasia Casandra B.
Tasia Casandra B.

"User-Friendly"

What do you like best?

It helps us create media scans easily and quickly. It also helps us distribute it in eye-pleasing way with links and quick one click options. We can easily keep lists of reporters based on certain topics or campaigns which is really useful when you want to pitch a story.

What do you dislike?

Their customer service has been slower than we would like, especially considering we are paying for their top package.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great service that I think you will be happy with. It is much more modern and user-friendly than other antiquated systems out there. It is pricey however, it was not much of a money saver compared to another larger service we were using previously.

We used to cut and paste a daily email with the headlines each dead. It was tedious and boring for both the communications team that had to put it together, and the readers. We would have to use a couple of services to gather all the headlines and then create an email in Outlook. Now we send out a media scan easily as Meltwater pulls all the items we want in one place and then allows us to create the email and send it all in their platform.

We also use it to send out media releases. It helps us curate a list of reporters who write about particular topics and send them releases or tips quickly and efficiently. Before we had to go through a list manually and try to figure out which reporters may be interested in a particular story and it was hit or miss.

Meltwater review by Courtney G.
Courtney G.

"Stay far away if you're looking for reliable broadcast monitoring "

What do you like best?

The social media monitoring and online news monitoring work well.

What do you dislike?

The broadcast monitoring does not pick up the majority of alerts even when they include the keywords. In addition, when alerts are picked up, the interviews are 99% of the time incomplete and it could take days for the account rep to find the rest of the clip, which when working in a time sensitive industry is completely unacceptable. I require timely transcripts and clips, and I do not receive that from Meltwater.

I was advertised a product that could replace my current media monitoring, yet Meltwater is so incredibly unreliable that I have not been able to cancel my other service. I am therefore paying for two services due to false advertising from Meltwater. Once they have your money, they do not care about providing good customer service. I have been trying to find a solution with the company for over a month before writing this review.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use this service if you require timely and reliable broadcast media monitoring.

The social media monitoring and online news monitoring are helpful, but not worth anywhere close the amount I paid for full service media monitoring.

Meltwater review by Logan S.
Logan S.

"Contacts, Newsletter are Very Useful"

What do you like best?

We are an almost two year user of Meltwater for our large orthopedic group. I primarily use it for media contacts and media tracking. It is a great resource for media contacts especially narrowed down by beat and appears to be very updated. It also provides social media handles and information for those people which is super useful.

Also think the social media monitoring platform is top notch - we can't monitor Facebook and Instagram on other platforms like we do with Meltwater.

We use the Newsletter feature to report media clips to our internal managers, which I mentioned more below.

What do you dislike?

I still don't understand sending press releases from Meltwater. I tend to export the emails and send them myself. That wasn't really ever clear.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you value Facebook and Instagram monitoring go with Meltwater as they have that and others do not.

I needed a better way to distribute monthly media clips about our business to our C suite and managers. The newsletter feature enables me to do this. I select the clips I want and it puts them in a nice, easy to read email branded with our logo and sends it straight from the platform but it looks like it came from my email.

Meltwater review by Samantha R.
Samantha R.

"Very powerful, but rather expensive"

What do you like best?

I love being able to access all of the times our organization has been mentioned in the news (or on social media) and generate a report for funding/reporting purposes.

What do you dislike?

Alas, software like this comes with a price. I wish it were slightly cheaper, though they do offer tiered packages based on what you can pay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This has been an incredible timesaver for me as a communications manager, especially when it comes to quarterly reporting to our board and publishing our annual report. Just be sure you know what you need from a service like this so that you don't waste your money.

We needed a way to track our media hits (and other analytics associated with those hits). This service does a great job at tracking a variety of keywords that you select, and maintaining a database of the places where the keywords appear in the news. We also use Meltwater to identify appropriate reporters who may be interested in our occasional press releases.

Meltwater review by User

"Horrible Way to Conduct Business - BEWARE of shady business practices "

What do you like best?

The media outreach service itself is actually very helpful, however, I don't know if it is worth the negotiated price point of $7,000.

What do you dislike?

The business practice. I was a meltwater customer for a year, and when it came time to talk about my autorenewal for my contract, I asked to not be charged so we could discuss options. I was told that my autorenewal was put on hold by a rep in Miami and even called her supervisor and I was told the same thing. When it came time for me to decide to move forward our company chose to pursue other options as the price point was not in our budget at that time. I was then told that my contract had an auto-renew clause hidden in the terms and conditions and because I did not provide a written cancelation 60 days prior to the date of the autorenewal, even though I was told that they would push this. When I tried to speak to my sales rep and her boss (located in Miami) I was told that they weren't going to lose their jobs to try to fix this for me and I was forced into signing a contract in order to get additional services. If I did not sign the contract, I would be left with minimal services that I was forced into.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Beware of shady sales practices.

I was searching for a social monitoring and online listening platform. I also want a social scheduling tool, but Meltwater does not provide this.

Meltwater review by User in Higher Education

"Meltwater allows our University to keep up to date on Alums"

What do you like best?

I love that Meltwater gives me the opportunity to get daily digests of articles that use our University name. This allows me to keep up to date on what our Alums are doing. We use Meltwater in conjunction with Team Support. Team Support compiles a daily digest with all articles using Drew University. We go through the articles and add them to the Alums record in our database.

What do you dislike?

I dislike looking through all of the articles. They are not all pertinent to our University or pertinent to our Alums. With this, sometimes an individual does not write where they graduated from and we miss the article as well. Unfortunately, there is nothing Meltwater can do to fix this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use and can be tailored to fit your business' needs.

With Meltwater, I do not typically lose information about Alums as long as the article mentions that the individual graduated from our institution. This is great to add information to our Alums profiles which is used to solicit them for gifts. It gives our Community information about the individual.

"Deceptive auto-renewal technique"

What do you like best?

The interface of Meltwater is very user-friendly and their Dashboard is helpful.

What do you dislike?

Deceptive auto-renewal clause in their contract which was never communicated by the company nor the Sales Rep who actually throughout the first year of the contract tried to renew our subscription on multiple occasions, indicating that they need our permission to extend the length of the contract.

Very poor Customer service that is focused only on the gains for the company. Appalling e-mail contact.

The search feed received is way over the top and doesn't always correspond to set up the search. This is in order to boost the number of results so the end Customer has the feeling of good investment. In the end, your reporting will take much longer as you have to go through a lot of noise news which normally wouldn't appear in there in the first place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DO NOT TRUST MELTWATER

I only realised how disgusting their business model is and how important is to not trust Meltwater.

Meltwater review by Libby C.
Libby C.

"Helpful but TERRIBLE customer service"

What do you like best?

I like that you can have the program monitor for specific topics and it will alert you when new ones come up that may be of interest to you. It definitely helps you find points of conversation that you wouldn't otherwise be able to find through a traditional media search. I do believe it has some of the best technology for media monitoring.

What do you dislike?

HORRIBLE customer service. Before I purchased Meltwater, I was receiving multiple calls PER DAY to buy their product. It almost made me not want to purchase the software, but I'd heard from other business professionals that it was worth the money and that they too had experienced multiple calls and bad customer service until they bought in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time and use the demos they provide to you. If you really want to see how this product is going to help your organization, you can also ask them to do a live demo with you and to show you search terms you are interested in. Meltwater's customer service is severely lacking, but the product works well.

I was able to solve the issue of knowing what types of coverage our organization was receiving.

Meltwater review by Becca S.
Becca S.

"Essentially Google Alerts on Steriods"

What do you like best?

I love the robustness of the Meltwater platform. I can create all different types of queries to track different types of media mentions.

I also love that it sends me daily emails with a list of all our media mentions that I can customize myself.

What do you dislike?

Due to the robustness of the platform, there’s a slight learning curve for employees who have to learn how to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We’ve been happy with it since using it for 2 years. We have a great account manager who is very attentive to our needs and keeps us up to date with all the newest updates with Meltwater.

Meltwater is helping us organize and track all of our media mentions. Before we would rely on Google to track everything, and there were definitely pieces that slipped through the cracks. A benefit of Meltwater is that it’s helped us build partnerships with other businesses by seeing who is talking about our company already.

Meltwater review by Navin R.
Navin R.

"Senior Account Executive at MissionCTRL Communications, a boutique, cleantech communications firm."

What do you like best?

While I have used a number of media tracking and media database software platforms (Cision, TrendKite to name a few), Meltwater by far offers the best experience out of all of them. The best thing, to start, is the UI. It is clean and intuitive, and, unlike CisionPoint, does not look like it was designed in 1995. The colors are calming, and the formatting for charts makes complete sense. Furthermore, I appreciate that the platform is constantly evolving. I've used it for nearly two years, now, and in that time, new features that I've both requested, and didn't know I wanted, have been added that have improved the platform. Things like more editable newsletters and the ability to add content really set Meltwater apart. It also has a far easier to use influencer list -- the google-like feature of being able to search for reporters by keyword is a game-changer. It also lets you be very specific. For instance, a client asked for reporters who cover the 'wood and paper' beat in Helsinki. Normally this would be difficult to find, but Meltwater made it easy to narrow down. Meltwater really understands how the industry works. Oh, also the Meltwater team is super helpful and answers questions immediately.

What do you dislike?

For all of its benefits, Meltwater is still quite slow. Pages can take some time to load, and there have been instances when the program has glitched and not saved a search or a newsletter. Also, adding content into the newsletters is still a bit clunky, with the content section not loading when you add or remove searches. The biggest pain point, though, is the articles it tracks. Major publications like the WSJ or Times are not included, while very very small -- even just publications that repost press releases -- get tracked. I wish there was some sort of way for Meltwater to recognize the types of articles (maybe through machine learning, but I'm also not a comp sci person so I'm talking out of my ass) that I track and start removing the ones I never use. Also, need to find a better way to filter out press releases and earnings calls.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say, go with Meltwater if you have many people working on projects at the same time. Meltwater has aspects where everyone shares the searches and dashboards, but it allows for different people to do their work at the same time.

A big benefit of Meltwater has been in reporting. We are now able to show how our clients are doing -- using Share of Voice -- compared to their competitors, and this helps us recognize where we can do more. Being able to compare where a client's SoV was months ago compared to now helps us set targets and goals, but also validate our work.

We also look more professional when we send newsletters in Meltwater's modern, clean-looking format. Compared to other firms, who often just send article links via email, our media roundups look very professional.

Meltwater review by Michella C.
Michella C.

"Monitoreo en todo momento "

What do you like best?

El sistema lo utilizamos hace varios años, si bien nos sirve de complemento con un servicio local que contratamos, en los últimos años no ha servido muchísimo con el monitoreo de redes que nos permite tener respuestas rápidas sobre problemas en tiempo real. También nos sirve mucho la aplicación móvil ya que recibo las alertas en mi celular, especialmente cuando son comentarios negativos sobre temas específicos, esto nos ayuda a realizar una pronta respuesta con información en nuestros medios institucionales. Es importante realizar el monitoreo de medios a nivel internacional para conocer cuales son las barreras de nuestros contenidos.

What do you dislike?

Todavía existen dificultades con el servidor de la aplicación móvil, los contenidos a veces no cargan. También hemos tenido problemas con las claves que no las reconocen tanto en la web como en la aplicación móvil, cosa que nos hacen perder el tiempo cuando necesitamos acceder a la información con rapidez. Otras veces hemos tenido problemas por que nos ha salido información de otras universidades que tienen nombre similar al nuestro.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Especialmente en sus herramientas de monitoreo de Redes, son muy útiles y podemos segmentar a solo los vinculados a la marca.

Este año ha sido muy importante para nosotros, especialmente el monitoreo de redes. A través de redes pudimos evitar un problema en el campus, que resulto por la restricción de agua que hubo durante los meses de marzo y abril, por un fenómeno climático, que afecto a todo el Perú. Gracias al monitoreo pudimos conocer y ver las dificultades que se presentaron el fin de semana en el campus con relación al uso del agua, lo que permitió que se tomaran acciones de respuesta. Luego pudimos conocer y establecer una línea de tiempo de sucesos vinculados con política que la universidad aprobó recientemente, esto también nos permitió poner información pertinente en nuestros medios institucionales.

Meltwater review by Tara O.
Tara O.

"Solid platform, excellent customer service"

What do you like best?

The customer service! My rep and the other Meltwater team members I've worked with are highly knowledgable and helpful. They bring great ideas to the table and share what they've seen work with other clients while maintaining client anonymity. It's been a very positive professional experience.

What do you dislike?

Filtering out search clutter is very manual. There is a Boolean query builder, but it's a little clunky in my experience. If you know how to build Boolean queries, it's not too bad, but if you're new to it, it can be a challenge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Meltwater is a great, affordable solution for those looking for media monitoring or influencer database access.

Meltwater has been a great tool for our organization to use to measure media mentions and sentiment. It helps us pick up on small, local publications and outlets that may otherwise fly under the radar. We've also been able to more easily communicate our industry-specific news to very targeted audiences of influencers.

Meltwater review by Janet V.
Janet V.

"Meltwater deceptive business practices"

What do you like best?

Didn't find the solution particularly easy to use

What do you dislike?

Meltwater has a 60 day auto-renewal that they do not include in your order confirmation but bury in online terms of service (which are normally reserved for things like don't post hate content or abuse user accounts, not the business/financial terms of your contract). Their sales reps do not notify you of this, and in fact send you emails about whether you're planning to renew that imply otherwise. Once you are one day past the 60 days, they hold on like grim death and force you into an auto-renewal regardless of whether you want to continue the service or not. Companies with good products don't have to rely on fine print to force people to do business with them; the Meltwater products are not good enough to justify the hassle of their business practices. If you do decide to buy from them, pay by check so they don't have access to your credit card information in case they decide you owe them money whether you agree or not.

None

Meltwater review by Matthew C.
Matthew C.

"Meltwater Review"

What do you like best?

The hands on help from Meltwater team navigating the system and helping make changes when needed. The quality of the news stories delivered helps me in my daily tasks sending out news alerts or breaking stories pertaining to our industry.

What do you dislike?

Somewhat petty but subscription websites are sometimes tough to get around, and although Meltwater has been helpful with some of these issues, other times stories get away from you if you don't have the subscription yourself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly effective in day to day news monitoring system. If you want to save time collecting news stories for distribution or review, Meltwater is an incredible tool and asset to have. Use the help they offer from their support staff, they make things very simple for you!

Meltwater helps me manage and save much needed time. By compiling daily news stories for me pertaining to the industry, I don't have to spend hours searching through google to find everything I need.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Product knowledge and support is great, platforms are easily navigated, very satisfied customer"

What do you like best?

Rep and Help Desk responds incredibly fast, usually resolves issues within minutes. Platforms are easily navigated. I use the News inbox and newsletter most frequently and I am so grateful that my work saves if I need to go to a different tab. The mobile app is also a great convenience. I can tag articles while out & about and compile a newsletter much quicker when I'm back at the office.

What do you dislike?

The platform is a little bit more simplified than I'd like, but still workable. I would appreciate a more robust interface for the emails to Influencer Lists. In particular, I'd like to be able to save templates for the different types of news releases I issue, and also be able to save hosted graphics within the platform.

Inbox can only display results from one Agent at a time. Would cut down on duplicates and speed up the process for me if I could select multiple Agents to display at one time.

Can't set up an Agent that is specifically searching only Top Tier sources or a combination of sources. The ability to select some specific types of sources has been removed from the interface (e.g., Top Tier).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Quality, proven products. Responsive support that gives resolution to problems. Company takes customer suggestions to the builders and frequently (quarterly) upgrades their platform in response to that feedback.

The mobile app has made it less time-consuming to compile and send the daily newsletter to staff.

We were directed by management to set up special tracking and dashboards to monitor our officers and spokespersons in the news and social media, with the ability to send automated daily newsletters to their staff, which is now available using Meltwater.

The ability to create an Agent using either keywords or Boolean makes it possible for more staff to set up an Agent who do not necessarily have knowledge of Boolean.

Meltwater review by Adam M.
Adam M.

"Mostly-Satisfied Customer "

What do you like best?

I am a fan of Meltwater's media monitoring tools, as well as its list creation and segmentation tools, and its influencer targeting.

What do you dislike?

Some aspects of the platform's press release functionality are not intuitive. It's semi difficult to find the area of the site where one can find and compose a press release. It is also not clear whether or not the user will have to do all of the legwork in updating each and every media contact, or if Meltwater updates them automatically.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize the list building features. Harness its capacity to provide metrics for something like social media. Understand the size of your lists before purchasing, however. There are some limitations Meltwater places on the size of overall media lists.

Contact organization and segmentation. Disseminating releases to wide audiences. Gaining an understanding of how we are being mentioned by the media is also important.

Meltwater review by User in Writing and Editing
User in Writing and Editing

"Great PR Analytics tool"

What do you like best?

I love that I can see all of our media hits in one spot, and I also love the tools for creating lists of influencers around specific parameters. Incredibly helpful for building new media lists!

What do you dislike?

There are tons of options and capabilities with this tool that I haven't even used yet.

I am able to create a very accurate picture of our media hits, and the tool is easy to use - very user friendly. I like the capability to search by outlet or by specific reporter. Meltwater also makes it easier than ever before to create influencer lists that can easily be exported. You can create lists by reporter beat, geographic location, or type of outlet (i.e. print, tv, radio, and even blogger). I have yet to use the social media monitoring, but I'm sure that tool has plenty of value that I need to unlock. In the next few months, I hope to work more to customize my dashboard and research all the Meltwater capabilities at my fingertips. I would also like to add that the customer service is amazing. they routinely check in just to make sure you understand how to use the products and to walk you through new features. Couldn't be happier with them.

Meltwater review by User in Think Tanks
User in Think Tanks

"Great for Tracking but Sometimes Hard to Filter"

What do you like best?

Meltwater is helpful for tracking media hits generally, especially regarding your organization or employees. It's fairly simple to sort through the information, and their newer reporting system is nice looking. Meltwater's social media tracking piece has been hugely helpful to us, especially for making it easier to report on social media engagement.

What do you dislike?

You need some familiarity with the industry to understand what information is valuable and what is not. It's easy to get caught up in their overall reach numbers if you don't know what you're looking at. It can also be hard to interpret those numbers for the C-suite if you don't know what you're doing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you are clear on how the numbers work for the PR reporting pieces, as things are not always as they seem. Have them walk you through creating dashboards and reports to ease the transition.

We are looking to track, for our metrics and goals, how we are being represented in the media and how often we're used as a resource. It's best for tracking how often our original research is being cited in different media outlets. On the social media side, managing, scheduling, and tracking our social posts has been wildly streamlined by Meltwater Engage.

Meltwater review by Administrator

"Not updated, not super useful"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that they can quickly give you any reporter's email address and you can search by beats, by media (radio/print/tv, etc), and you can search by location. that is extremely helpful. i also appreciate that you can keep databases so for example, if i quickly need to send an email to reporters in houston, i have a stack of contacts that i know are reliable.

What do you dislike?

so often the contact information is completely wrong or the person doesn't even work at that station anymore. because of that, I usually have to spend over an hour looking thru the database for each city, unclicking and clicking the reporter's names that are applicable. And what I also hate is that when i click "select all" on the database list-it doesn't click all, not unless you scroll to the bottom of the list!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would first look at other products to see how expensive they are and how up to date their media database is. For thousands of dollars, you should know that the time that you're putting into the product is worth it and will deliver results. Also, their wire service is complete garbage-it does not reach any more people than simply sending out a press release. And their sales staff can be very pushy-like please don't call me-just send me an email!

I am solving the "problem" of media pitching. Without meltwater, it wouldn't be nearly as successful. I think that we'd be able to find reporters but it would take so much more time and potentially we couldn't reach out personally.

Meltwater review by Edward Y.
Edward Y.

"Meltwater News is Dishonest and a Scam"

What do you like best?

Decent media database of reporter information.

What do you dislike?

Meltwater as a service platform isn't bad. I subscribed to Meltwater News for a full year at about $3,000. This gave me access to their media database which was relatively accurate. Some records were either out of date or not listed at all. But that wasn't my main complaint. No database can be 100% current or accurate.

My main complaint is with the fact that your annual account is renewed automatically for $3,000 unless you give official notification 60 days before your current agreement is up.

Yes, they include this language in the small print of the agreement, and bad on me for not carefully reading every line.

But in this day and age to force clients to stay for another year at such a high rate is unthinkable.

Stay far, far FAR away from Meltwater.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Note the 60 day cancellation notice requirement or you will be auto-renewed for a full year with no way out.

Find media reporter and editor contact information.

Meltwater review by Mya W.
Mya W.

"Simple, but can be frustrating"

What do you like best?

Meltwater has a very user-friendly database. It has supplanted Google News for me in a lot of instances, because I feel I get more results with the same ease of use. You can also set up email notifications that send coverage updates into your inbox, which I love.

What do you dislike?

I never feel that I can rely totally on the results that Meltwater returns to me. Without fail, the other monitoring products I use find something that this tool misses. This is especially true for social media monitoring. I also have had consistently mediocre customer service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This might be the simplest tool you will use (especially if you're good at Boolean operators), but not good to solely rely on it for your media monitoring.

Quick, relatively comprehensive news and social media monitoring. Allows you to remove the manual aspect of monitoring for mentions.

Meltwater review by Melanie C.
Melanie C.

"Worthwhile Investment"

What do you like best?

We've tried other software that claims to do what Meltwater does, so far we haven't found anything to compare. The analytics, real-time monitor, just about everything has helped us get the great results for our clients who are the users. It's the top product we recommend for our clients to use.

What do you dislike?

Tech support can be a bit slow but we've been working on it long enough that one of our firm's partners can give intro-to classes for Meltwater.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We've had very few tech glitches but when it happens it takes a while to get a fix for the problem. Other than that only an improved visual "dashboard" would be appreciated.

Audience targeting, rapid response, media trends, research and ensuring our content is what our clients need.

Meltwater review by Kelsi B.
Kelsi B.

"Amazing Contacts, Tools, and Data at my Fingertips "

What do you like best?

Circulation numbers, List building features, Meltawater Engage for social media analytics and influencer engagement

What do you dislike?

Not enough journos outside of US and Euro markets, dashboards are complicated to design properly

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the geographical spread of media monitoring/outreach you need and the global limitations of Meltwater. Since Meltwater has purchased Sprout Social (branded as Meltwater Engage) for social media monitoring, it is a huge selling point.

The usual: finding new journalists and outlets to cover our work -- Meltwater has helped us uncover new media markets and stay in contact with key journalists

The unusual: attempting to track narrative shifts over time via keyword monitoring -- dashboards and industry reports are helping us legitimize advocacy efforts

Meltwater review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"excellent customer service, difficult at times to use"

What do you like best?

I think Meltwater's customer service is excellent. Their reps are always available to troubleshoot issues and answer questions.

What do you dislike?

I think the organization of the site is still a bit too clunky and difficult to engage with. Even after a few tutorials, I still find myself clicking around to find what I'm actually looking for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Meltwater is a great software to conduct outreach to bloggers, influencers, reporters, experts in niche fields, etc. I do, however, think it takes awhile to become comfortable with using it regularly. Once you become comfortable with its functions and the language of the software, it is quite simple and quick to use. That being said, the support of their reps is excellent and much appreciated.

I use Meltwater to create publicity updates for our global marketers. These publicity updates have been satisfactory and also allow for our company as a whole to stay informed of our publicity and media hits.

Meltwater review by Amanda D.
Amanda D.

"Long Time Meltwater User"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to get the daily news digest sent out to me every morning. It often catches media hits that I do not see in my notifications when on other platforms. My entire staff uses Meltwater to monitor industry news, social listening, and monitoring. We also love our account rep. She is very responsive and always answers our questions in a timely matter. We buy many reports from Meltwater which gets sent to the board annually.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the platform can be down and not working. However, the support team is quick to act when you have these issues and can fix the problem 1-2 days. I don't like the user limits because sometimes we want to add more people. but then we have to upgrade. It's not expensive to upgrade, but it just doesn't seem worth the price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an awesome scheduling tool for social media I recommend their Engage platform. It's my favorite tool by far of theirs, and the reporting features are AWESOME!

Social Listening and Monitoring. We are also able to see what is happening in the industry through media hits. I also like the fact that we are able to buzz out any noise that does not affect our industry. We also use to the tool to monitor our influencers and understand what they are saying about our brand.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Meltwater became my favorite digital co-worker"

What do you like best?

The suite helped automate work and save time in reporting, media monitoring, outreach and more. There was always peace of mind that no important headlines or coverage would be missed.

What do you dislike?

There was nothing specific I dislike about the Meltwater platform. The only addition I would love to see and missed from previous competitors was the ease of looking up a particular outlet's reach or readership. This was not possible with Meltwater.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The base suite does offer a lot of value and functions, however, having the budget for additional features can add even more value. I did feel like there was some pressure to upgrade our contract with additional software pieces when we first onboarded with the company. While we stuck with the basics, I appreciated always having someone to feature out to with questions.

Meltwater helps to automate time-consuming aspects of public relations and marketing work. As a one-person department, it always feels like I'm working against the clock. Meltwater saved me time throughout my weeks, making reporting, media monitoring and outreach to much easier.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Fine Art
Administrator in Fine Art

"Meltwater - Must-have for any global player"

What do you like best?

As a small team, Meltwater has been a powerful tool that allows us with a couple clicks of a button to track our media mentions and see PR analytics. My team is especially fond of the daily emails, which allows us to quickly review our daily press. We also have an amazing account rep that we work with. He is always responsive and willing to jump in to help us with any needs we have on our platforms.

What do you dislike?

As an administrator that works with analytics, I wish that I was able to capture all our search terms on one dashboard, instead of being limited to compare 5 search terms or tags at a time. However, I know that Meltwater is working on changing this function.

With limited staff and resources, Meltwater has been invaluable and allows to monitor our media and social media on a global level. Prior to using Meltwater, we were not able to capture our reach and impact on a national and international level. However, now we are able to create meaningful and comprehensive reports on our campaigns and what it being said about our company across the world.

Meltwater review by Administrator

"Modern interface and good support"

What do you like best?

The interface is very intuitive and offers a lot of options for tracking and analytics. It's easier to stay on top of my monthly reports and those reports have become more visual and detailed.

Support is also always quick to respond and I feel like I'm communicating with a real person on the other end.

What do you dislike?

I wish Meltwater would be more permissive of which outlets it tracks. They're often willing to add new websites but sometimes have rules about editorial criteria that keep me from tracking key mentions and editorials. I work in a niche industry and *I* know a certain website is legitimate and relevant but Meltwater still won't add it.

Tracking where our editorial content is picked up and monitoring mentions around the world. Also, distributing press releases.

Meltwater review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Meltwater - Inaccurate Monitoring"

What do you like best?

I like that you can select certain placements and then see analytics on them and the breakdown of competitor coverage.

What do you dislike?

This tool is simply not very accurate. I search for placements by hand for my clients through Google search results and often those won't show up in Meltwater. This shows that it's only good for a general overview of monitoring, but can't be solely relied on. Plus there's a ton of garbage placements it finds, such as syndicated press releases and we haven't found a way to exclude those in the search. The premise of Meltwater is good, but it needs to up it's aggregation skills so all placements can be tracked.

Meltwater helps us do competitor media coverage analysis and create share of voice reports for our client.

Meltwater review by User

"Useful, but Expensive & unimpressive"

What do you like best?

Meltwater is extremely useful and has a best-in-class database of journalists that is easily understood and simply searched. They've recently also developed a similarly high-performing database for social influencers that is arguably even more useful.

What do you dislike?

Treat this software like a database, not a magic bullet. Their outreach functionality does not guarantee eyeballs any more than sending out a press release on the PR newswire might. Yes, you can find a journalist's contact info on this site. No, it does not mean you can successfully woo the journalist.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are few options out there for media monitoring and influencer discovery. Meltwater is an exceptional option, if you can afford it. It is not a magic bullet to get your content more eyeballs, but it will perform exactly as it says it will perform, and has great customer service to boot.

We use meltwater for traditional media monitoring and it has performed well. We receive daily updates, the content is easily customized, and the customer service is absolutely top-notch.

Meltwater review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"The one stop shop for all the contacts you’ll ever need!"

What do you like best?

I love Meltwater because you can customize and format what you want to send to publications. It’s eacy to create a list of contact and the “search” feature is amazing! You can look for bloggers in a specific area, writing about a specific thing- or you can look for a regional reporter. The options are endless!

What do you dislike?

I don’t like that you can’t have a “smart sending option”. If you use Meltwater a lot, it’s hard to remember who is part of which contact list so sometimes you can add the same contact to multiple lists. Then you find yourself send multiple pitches to the same contact in a short period of time. Smart sending would allow there to be a 16 hr gap where the same person can’t recieve an email from you within 16 hrs of each other.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn how to utilize ALL of the features. You will definitely get your money’s worth!

A major benefit is that you can upload your own contact list into Meltwater. This allows you to track how responsive your pitch was. You can see the open rate and the links that were clicked.

Meltwater review by Pryor S.
Pryor S.

"Meltwater "

What do you like best?

Meltwater has an extremely easy-to-use interface, and the software has been incredibly effective when we compile media newsletters for our clients. Additionally, my interactions with the Meltwater team members have been uniformly positive.

What do you dislike?

Overall, I don't have a lot of complaints. Importing content into the software for inclusion in newsletters can be frustrating, but, other than that, I've had a very good experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend learning the whole system when you first purchase the product. In this way, each individual tool within the software can be used in conjunction with the others, which maximizes the effectiveness of each.

Primarily, we use Meltwater for media tracking, newsletter creation, and media list maintenance. Through Meltwater, we have been able to more quickly build media campaigns and target the right journalists for media outreach initiatives.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Deceptive Practices"

What do you like best?

Meltwater offers competitive, yet overpriced services.

What do you dislike?

Meltwater is a deceptive company:

1. They don't tell you this, but there is a 60 day cancellation policy, buried in their terms of use, which - by the way - is not included in the contract you sign. The terms of use are linked to, within the contract, but not attached to the contract.

2. The terms of use require you to email / write them 60 days prior to the end of your subscription term if you wish to cancel. After 60 days they lock you in for another entire year of overpriced 'service'.

3. They send an automated email a week after the 60 day renewal period has begun, "reminding" you that you will be using their service for another year, whether you like it or not. If they were an above-board company, they would send you an auto reminder email a week before they lock you in, letting you know that you are nearing your 60 day window.

The fact that this 60 day policy is buried within the terms of use, not present in the contract, and not communicated by the sales people is evidence that Meltwater is an extremely shady company.

Stay away from them.

They are a glorified "Google Alerts". We no longer use them.

Meltwater review by Emma L.
Emma L.

"Multipurpose media tool"

What do you like best?

Love that I can create media lists and look up contact information, plus send out releases and analyze their performance after distribution.

What do you dislike?

Some outlets/contacts can be out of date so I like to double check online and through social media.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch the training videos, practice and play around with all of the features. The icons and toolbars aren't intuitive at first but it's a simple platform once you get the hang of it!

Meltwater is really comprehensive when it comes to building media lists and being able to send out pitches and releases either right from the site or through my own email.

Meltwater review by Jacqueline B.
Jacqueline B.

"Digital Marketing Manager"

What do you like best?

I really like the quality focus and attention we get from our Account Executive, even though we are a smaller business compared to her other accounts. It's really great to know that I can reach her at at any time and that she will work as fast as she can to help resolve our problems.

What do you dislike?

This isn't really anything Meltwater has done wrong but as our company's needs have shifted it would be nice to get out of our legacy contract with the Listening platform and only pay for what we currently utilize, the Sprout Social Engage tool. The Sprout Social Engage tool is exactly what we need as we really don't do any media placements so it would be nice if we could maybe increase the amount of seats we have with that subscription and cancel the Listening subscription.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend as illustrated by the customer surveys, case studies and various marketing materials we've provided to Meltwater.

We have a lot of business problems that we are trying to solve but the biggest is that we have a very small and under-staffed team so the ability to manage as much of the creative, development, distribution and management process of our social channels through one tool is huge. There are tools within Sprout Social that we currently aren't taking advantage of but I'm hoping within the new fiscal year for our company we discuss opportunities to integrate with our Salesforce for lead generation and tasking customer support inquiries.

Meltwater review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Outreach capability is a huge time-saver!"

What do you like best?

Being able to pull lists of writers/influencers to reach out to based on relevant keywords for your release/content/etc. is fantastic. You can pull a list based on keywords you've already selected to use for your campaign and build new lists of contacts within minutes. You can then create a customized email (by first name, last name, etc) to send to the entire list. You can then also see the open rate and click rate on these emails. Much better than individual outreach regardless of it you are sending to 5 people or 500.

What do you dislike?

The navigation tabs on the left are a little confusing at times to find what you are looking for, but then continue to make updates that have been helping.

Pulling reports and adding them into results is as easy taking a screen shot or exporting. Definitely a time saver. Also, the outreach functionality saves me a ton of time and still looks like I'm sending out all of the emails personally.

Meltwater review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"Great listening tool + customer service"

What do you like best?

Meltwater is great! I run the social media for my company and it really helps keep me organized, as well as create monthly reports, stay up-to-date on what news outlets have mentioned my company, as well as reply to messages on all of our social media platforms from our customers.

What do you dislike?

Due to some API issues lately, there hasn't been as much that I can do with Instagram, especially with listening and replying to comments. I understand that this is not primarily Meltwater's fault though, and more of a privacy issue with Instagram.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a bit pricy - but the customer service is great and it's an easy tool to use!

It is easy to connect with our customers on social media, as well as find content to post.

Meltwater review by Amanda A.
Amanda A.

"Meltwater helps us make sure we interact with all of our customers"

What do you like best?

I like how easy the platform is to monitor customers and prospective customers we may have otherwise missed. UGC and engagement are top priorities for our team and now we are able to interact with anyone who is trying to reach us.

What do you dislike?

The sentiment monitoring isn't as smart as I would hope for. Most of the time everything is marked as neutral or even negative when it's not true.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to make sure you are reaching all of your customers and have a handle on any press or social mentions that are going on about your company, Meltwater is the best solution for you.

We've realized how far our reach really is and have been able to form relationships with many more customers than we could have before.

Meltwater review by Britny K.
Britny K.

"Okay competitor to Cision"

What do you like best?

I like that Meltwater is a software as a service company that develops and markets media monitoring and business intelligence software. Knowing that digital data from individuals and businesses is growing exponentially, Meltwater is leading the pack by applying AI to identify trends, extending the reach of media monitoring. Meltwater News is an online intelligence service that searches for relevant keywords in a number of news sources. It includes the following: Meltwater Buzz, a social media measurement tool that allows clients to track and analyze user-generated web content and compare their media exposure to that of other companies, and Meltwater Press, a media contact database and online email distribution service. Clients can use the Press tool to find journalists and distribute company press releases. Meltwater stores approximately 250 million blogs and publications in its database, which clients can access at anytime. Meltwater offers media coverage from 185,000 global sources, with more available by request at no additional charge, as the company uses a proprietary source database.

What do you dislike?

Meltwater does not offer assistance with search engine optimization or press release distribution. Both are entirely the client's responsibility. The Meltwater website does not list an email address, nor does it offer 24/hour support or a live chat. Clients are at the mercy of busy service agents' schedules, with no help available after hours or over the weekend.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Meltwater Group is a “software as a service” (SaaS) company based on a research model funded by the Norwegian Computing Center. In March of 2015, Meltwater Group launched a new SaaS media intelligence program with impressive capabilities. The new platform—simply called “Meltwater”—observes social media to identify trends, connect clients with key influencers, and engage with consumers. Since its creation fourteen years ago in Oslo, Norway, Meltwater has expanded throughout the world. The company currently has offices in Europe, North America, Asia, Australia, and Africa, and boasts tens of thousands of clients worldwide.

The Meltwater dashboard offers extensive analytics, including sentiment analysis, word clouds, number of hits and reads, top publications, exposure over time, and geographic locations for preeminent influencers. Clients may generate a dashboard with default analytic widgets, or design their own from scratch. Keyword searches are easy to refine and results are sent daily or weekly to the client's Meltwater inbox. These analytics allow clients to target their exposure by geography and industry. The dashboard offers all reports "at a glance," but each report contains even more information when accessed on its own. All dashboard reports are easy to export into different file formats and share with other users.

Meltwater review by Stacey G.
Stacey G.

"Meltwater fills in the gaps"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the Meltwater platform for its breadth pf services. Thee are many things you can do with it if you take the time to learn. There unique contacts help fill in the gaps where other PR services don't reach. The platform is also interactive, fun and fresh.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I really dislike. Some of the platform can be a bit confusing but most things have a learning curve. My only criticism is that some of the search features aren't intuitive enough so it can be cumbersome for us. More categories and key terms need to be added to limit searches and really drill down to those that we would want to contact.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you get a lot of upfront training and explanantion of all its capabilities

We regularly use the news search to help us find relevant stories for our own social media and content platforms. Being able to contact editors and writers directly is a big bonus as well.

Learning about Meltwater?

* We monitor all Meltwater reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.