Meltwater

Manage and measure a data-driven PR program with hyper-targeted search, pitching, social media and journalist relations features.

Work for Meltwater?

Learning about Meltwater?

Meltwater Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 514 Meltwater reviews
Meltwater review by <span>Jennifer D.</span>
Jennifer D.

"Features do not work as marketed, poor customer service"

What do you like best?

There is nothing about this product I would recommend to a colleague.

What do you dislike?

Some features were appealing, but because the media lists and news monitoring features were incomplete and inaccurate, features such as reporting, analytics, and press release distribution became useless.

Incomplete and inaccurate media lists, which rendered the press release distribution function useless because we couldn't send a press release to the reporters or influencers we were trying to target.

News monitoring is not comprehensive and misses simple things Google can pick up (and there is not integration option with Google search)

Analytics function was rendered useless, since the media montioring did not pick up all media coverage of clients.

Product would go down and not function for hours at least once a week.

Poor customer service (Impossible to get a timely response from account managers and when they did respond, they were always looking into solutions, but rarely provided solutions)

No benefits realized with this software.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Meltwater
Meltwater review by <span>Mark C.</span>
Mark C.

"Great Product for Trade Associations"

What do you like best?

The interface is very easy. It provides a quick, easy to read snapshot of all of our activities and campaigns. In addition we can measure overall success of our communication efforts as well as specific initiatives and easy determine what is resonating and other areas where more focus needs to be given (or de-prioritized).

What do you dislike?

Log in to multiple platforms and sometimes the it is hard to find specific instructions for different items.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Figure out what your needs are first and your strategy. Then talk to a Meltwater representative and they can typically walk you through how exactly the system will meet your needs. For small and mid-size associations, Meltwater staff is a great resource for reports and/or research that goes beyond the online system and will save you a great deal of time and be able to make better reports to your executives and board.

It is easy to identify new reporters and key influencers without much work. Also, it is very easy to show the value of communications to the senior leadership team and the board. As a result, they have responded with a better understanding of the role of communications within the organization.

What PR Analytics solution do you use?

Meltwater review by <span>Meredith L.</span>
Meredith L.

"Powerful product; exemplary support"

What do you like best?

Meltwater is an extremely powerful product, but it is set up in such a way that it feels simple and approachable. The customer support is out of this world. Working with Meltwater has allowed our organization to streamline and improve many of our p.r. and communications practices.

What do you dislike?

You have to enter your password every time you use the app. I know it seems simple, but it's enough of a barrier to enter that it keeps me from using the app as much as I would like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize your account manager. This tool is more powerful than you have time to realize and they can help shed light on the benefits

Crises prevention: we see our name in the news before anyone else sees it; social media simplification: we can monitor and engage with our seven channels in one simple platform; reporting: marketing/pr/social media can be obscure and Meltwater's tools help us translate the work we do to the stakeholders who care

Meltwater review by <span>Matar G.</span>
Matar G.

"Amazing tool"

What do you like best?

I love that I can monitor social and media with one click of a button, create visual dashboards and set up reports that get sent to my leadership. I can easily look up an article during a crisis and determine its reach and social shares to determine if it is indeed something that needs full attention. I also really like the ability to follow certain users on social and get live alerts when they post content that relates to my industry, this makes it easy to catch things happening on social that I would otherwise miss. There have been many times where we have been able to get ahead of a bad tweet.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that there is a separate login portal for the engage tool and the monitoring tool, wish it was just one login.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and compare it to your other monitoring efforts, I guarantee you will find it comprehensive and time-saving.

we are able to monitor the reach of our earned and generated media. We are also able to push out social content via the engage tool and tag our content so that we can pull metrics and report to our board of directors the messages that we actively pushed as they relate to our overall goals and objectives.

Meltwater review by <span>Devon M.</span>
Devon M.

"More Value in Journalist Database than the Brand Tracking "

What do you like best?

Meltwater's journalist database (aka Influencers) makes it quick and easy to find and send content to relevant writers that may be interested in your material. You can search for journalists by topics they've written about or their beat and easily add them into categorized lists. You can personalize and send a message in a matter of minutes.

What do you dislike?

In my experience, Mention does a better job at capturing a full picture of brand mentions than Meltwater. Meltwater misses a lot of important finds that I get through Mention, and also sends me low quality mentions that Mention doesn't.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I urge you to use both Meltwater and Mention at the same time for your first year to compare and see if you want to renew your contract. Also read the cancellation policy carefully; when reading reviews I learned that their cancellation policy is non-transparent and requires a 60 day notice.

We use Meltwater to track mentions of our brand as well as reach submit content to media for potential republishing. Meltwater helps us to promote and track ourselves as industry thought leaders. It also allows us to see the efficiency of our press releases by tracking coverage after publishing.

Meltwater review by <span>Darren R.</span>
Darren R.

"Amazing customer service"

What do you like best?

The Meltwater tools are powerful, but it is their customer service that stands out for me. I've never had a more attentive, proactive and involved software / solutions partner. This is my first social media/news monitoring platform so I don't have anything to compare Meltwater with, but it meets our current needs.

What do you dislike?

I only wish I had more time and budget to invest in more of their products. The sales team is driven, ie: pushy and persistent, however, I'm glad they were as I was reluctant to buy, but now I am thrilled with the decision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Price is extremely negotiable. Like buying a new car, don't pay the sticker price. The price drops when you "walk away" and at quarter/yearend as they try to make their sales quotas.

Using Meltwater we've been able to bring our entire public relations efforts in-house and no longer contract out media monitoring or outreach services.

Meltwater review by <span>Brianna Z.</span>
Brianna Z.

"Meltwater is a great resource for gathering and organizing information for my company."

What do you like best?

There are many reports that assist with my monthly social recap. I also love that Meltwater picks up on every mention across social platforms.

What do you dislike?

There are so many features that are a little out of my budget working at a nonprofit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Meltwater is an all inclusive system that offers so much more than just social and media monitoring. You can monitor, record and measure social endeavors. You also have the ability to pitch, contact and gather all media information you are mentioned in via TV, print and digital.

One of our main issues to finding out what people were saying about us. Many times, people do not tag or even correctly spell our names on social channels and in the media. Meltwater has helped us find all of these mentions and act on them when needed.

Meltwater review by <span>Courtney G.</span>
Courtney G.

"Stay far away if you're looking for reliable broadcast monitoring "

What do you like best?

The social media monitoring and online news monitoring work well.

What do you dislike?

The broadcast monitoring does not pick up the majority of alerts even when they include the keywords. In addition, when alerts are picked up, the interviews are 99% of the time incomplete and it could take days for the account rep to find the rest of the clip, which when working in a time sensitive industry is completely unacceptable. I require timely transcripts and clips, and I do not receive that from Meltwater.

I was advertised a product that could replace my current media monitoring, yet Meltwater is so incredibly unreliable that I have not been able to cancel my other service. I am therefore paying for two services due to false advertising from Meltwater. Once they have your money, they do not care about providing good customer service. I have been trying to find a solution with the company for over a month before writing this review.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use this service if you require timely and reliable broadcast media monitoring.

The social media monitoring and online news monitoring are helpful, but not worth anywhere close the amount I paid for full service media monitoring.

Meltwater review by <span>Logan S.</span>
Logan S.

"Contacts, Newsletter are Very Useful"

What do you like best?

We are an almost two year user of Meltwater for our large orthopedic group. I primarily use it for media contacts and media tracking. It is a great resource for media contacts especially narrowed down by beat and appears to be very updated. It also provides social media handles and information for those people which is super useful.

Also think the social media monitoring platform is top notch - we can't monitor Facebook and Instagram on other platforms like we do with Meltwater.

We use the Newsletter feature to report media clips to our internal managers, which I mentioned more below.

What do you dislike?

I still don't understand sending press releases from Meltwater. I tend to export the emails and send them myself. That wasn't really ever clear.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you value Facebook and Instagram monitoring go with Meltwater as they have that and others do not.

I needed a better way to distribute monthly media clips about our business to our C suite and managers. The newsletter feature enables me to do this. I select the clips I want and it puts them in a nice, easy to read email branded with our logo and sends it straight from the platform but it looks like it came from my email.

Meltwater review by <span>Samantha R.</span>
Samantha R.

"Very powerful, but rather expensive"

What do you like best?

I love being able to access all of the times our organization has been mentioned in the news (or on social media) and generate a report for funding/reporting purposes.

What do you dislike?

Alas, software like this comes with a price. I wish it were slightly cheaper, though they do offer tiered packages based on what you can pay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This has been an incredible timesaver for me as a communications manager, especially when it comes to quarterly reporting to our board and publishing our annual report. Just be sure you know what you need from a service like this so that you don't waste your money.

We needed a way to track our media hits (and other analytics associated with those hits). This service does a great job at tracking a variety of keywords that you select, and maintaining a database of the places where the keywords appear in the news. We also use Meltwater to identify appropriate reporters who may be interested in our occasional press releases.

Meltwater review by <span>Navin R.</span>
Navin R.

"Senior Account Executive at MissionCTRL Communications, a boutique, cleantech communications firm."

What do you like best?

While I have used a number of media tracking and media database software platforms (Cision, TrendKite to name a few), Meltwater by far offers the best experience out of all of them. The best thing, to start, is the UI. It is clean and intuitive, and, unlike CisionPoint, does not look like it was designed in 1995. The colors are calming, and the formatting for charts makes complete sense. Furthermore, I appreciate that the platform is constantly evolving. I've used it for nearly two years, now, and in that time, new features that I've both requested, and didn't know I wanted, have been added that have improved the platform. Things like more editable newsletters and the ability to add content really set Meltwater apart. It also has a far easier to use influencer list -- the google-like feature of being able to search for reporters by keyword is a game-changer. It also lets you be very specific. For instance, a client asked for reporters who cover the 'wood and paper' beat in Helsinki. Normally this would be difficult to find, but Meltwater made it easy to narrow down. Meltwater really understands how the industry works. Oh, also the Meltwater team is super helpful and answers questions immediately.

What do you dislike?

For all of its benefits, Meltwater is still quite slow. Pages can take some time to load, and there have been instances when the program has glitched and not saved a search or a newsletter. Also, adding content into the newsletters is still a bit clunky, with the content section not loading when you add or remove searches. The biggest pain point, though, is the articles it tracks. Major publications like the WSJ or Times are not included, while very very small -- even just publications that repost press releases -- get tracked. I wish there was some sort of way for Meltwater to recognize the types of articles (maybe through machine learning, but I'm also not a comp sci person so I'm talking out of my ass) that I track and start removing the ones I never use. Also, need to find a better way to filter out press releases and earnings calls.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say, go with Meltwater if you have many people working on projects at the same time. Meltwater has aspects where everyone shares the searches and dashboards, but it allows for different people to do their work at the same time.

A big benefit of Meltwater has been in reporting. We are now able to show how our clients are doing -- using Share of Voice -- compared to their competitors, and this helps us recognize where we can do more. Being able to compare where a client's SoV was months ago compared to now helps us set targets and goals, but also validate our work.

We also look more professional when we send newsletters in Meltwater's modern, clean-looking format. Compared to other firms, who often just send article links via email, our media roundups look very professional.

Meltwater review by <span>Michella C.</span>
Michella C.

"Monitoreo en todo momento "

What do you like best?

El sistema lo utilizamos hace varios años, si bien nos sirve de complemento con un servicio local que contratamos, en los últimos años no ha servido muchísimo con el monitoreo de redes que nos permite tener respuestas rápidas sobre problemas en tiempo real. También nos sirve mucho la aplicación móvil ya que recibo las alertas en mi celular, especialmente cuando son comentarios negativos sobre temas específicos, esto nos ayuda a realizar una pronta respuesta con información en nuestros medios institucionales. Es importante realizar el monitoreo de medios a nivel internacional para conocer cuales son las barreras de nuestros contenidos.

What do you dislike?

Todavía existen dificultades con el servidor de la aplicación móvil, los contenidos a veces no cargan. También hemos tenido problemas con las claves que no las reconocen tanto en la web como en la aplicación móvil, cosa que nos hacen perder el tiempo cuando necesitamos acceder a la información con rapidez. Otras veces hemos tenido problemas por que nos ha salido información de otras universidades que tienen nombre similar al nuestro.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Especialmente en sus herramientas de monitoreo de Redes, son muy útiles y podemos segmentar a solo los vinculados a la marca.

Este año ha sido muy importante para nosotros, especialmente el monitoreo de redes. A través de redes pudimos evitar un problema en el campus, que resulto por la restricción de agua que hubo durante los meses de marzo y abril, por un fenómeno climático, que afecto a todo el Perú. Gracias al monitoreo pudimos conocer y ver las dificultades que se presentaron el fin de semana en el campus con relación al uso del agua, lo que permitió que se tomaran acciones de respuesta. Luego pudimos conocer y establecer una línea de tiempo de sucesos vinculados con política que la universidad aprobó recientemente, esto también nos permitió poner información pertinente en nuestros medios institucionales.

Meltwater review by <span>Tara O.</span>
Tara O.

"Solid platform, excellent customer service"

What do you like best?

The customer service! My rep and the other Meltwater team members I've worked with are highly knowledgable and helpful. They bring great ideas to the table and share what they've seen work with other clients while maintaining client anonymity. It's been a very positive professional experience.

What do you dislike?

Filtering out search clutter is very manual. There is a Boolean query builder, but it's a little clunky in my experience. If you know how to build Boolean queries, it's not too bad, but if you're new to it, it can be a challenge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Meltwater is a great, affordable solution for those looking for media monitoring or influencer database access.

Meltwater has been a great tool for our organization to use to measure media mentions and sentiment. It helps us pick up on small, local publications and outlets that may otherwise fly under the radar. We've also been able to more easily communicate our industry-specific news to very targeted audiences of influencers.

Meltwater review by <span>Janet V.</span>
Janet V.

"Meltwater deceptive business practices"

What do you like best?

Didn't find the solution particularly easy to use

What do you dislike?

Meltwater has a 60 day auto-renewal that they do not include in your order confirmation but bury in online terms of service (which are normally reserved for things like don't post hate content or abuse user accounts, not the business/financial terms of your contract). Their sales reps do not notify you of this, and in fact send you emails about whether you're planning to renew that imply otherwise. Once you are one day past the 60 days, they hold on like grim death and force you into an auto-renewal regardless of whether you want to continue the service or not. Companies with good products don't have to rely on fine print to force people to do business with them; the Meltwater products are not good enough to justify the hassle of their business practices. If you do decide to buy from them, pay by check so they don't have access to your credit card information in case they decide you owe them money whether you agree or not.

None

Meltwater review by <span>Matthew C.</span>
Matthew C.

"Meltwater Review"

What do you like best?

The hands on help from Meltwater team navigating the system and helping make changes when needed. The quality of the news stories delivered helps me in my daily tasks sending out news alerts or breaking stories pertaining to our industry.

What do you dislike?

Somewhat petty but subscription websites are sometimes tough to get around, and although Meltwater has been helpful with some of these issues, other times stories get away from you if you don't have the subscription yourself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly effective in day to day news monitoring system. If you want to save time collecting news stories for distribution or review, Meltwater is an incredible tool and asset to have. Use the help they offer from their support staff, they make things very simple for you!

Meltwater helps me manage and save much needed time. By compiling daily news stories for me pertaining to the industry, I don't have to spend hours searching through google to find everything I need.

Meltwater review by <span>Adam M.</span>
Adam M.

"Mostly-Satisfied Customer "

What do you like best?

I am a fan of Meltwater's media monitoring tools, as well as its list creation and segmentation tools, and its influencer targeting.

What do you dislike?

Some aspects of the platform's press release functionality are not intuitive. It's semi difficult to find the area of the site where one can find and compose a press release. It is also not clear whether or not the user will have to do all of the legwork in updating each and every media contact, or if Meltwater updates them automatically.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize the list building features. Harness its capacity to provide metrics for something like social media. Understand the size of your lists before purchasing, however. There are some limitations Meltwater places on the size of overall media lists.

Contact organization and segmentation. Disseminating releases to wide audiences. Gaining an understanding of how we are being mentioned by the media is also important.

Meltwater review by User in Writing and Editing
User in Writing and Editing

"Great PR Analytics tool"

What do you like best?

I love that I can see all of our media hits in one spot, and I also love the tools for creating lists of influencers around specific parameters. Incredibly helpful for building new media lists!

What do you dislike?

There are tons of options and capabilities with this tool that I haven't even used yet.

I am able to create a very accurate picture of our media hits, and the tool is easy to use - very user friendly. I like the capability to search by outlet or by specific reporter. Meltwater also makes it easier than ever before to create influencer lists that can easily be exported. You can create lists by reporter beat, geographic location, or type of outlet (i.e. print, tv, radio, and even blogger). I have yet to use the social media monitoring, but I'm sure that tool has plenty of value that I need to unlock. In the next few months, I hope to work more to customize my dashboard and research all the Meltwater capabilities at my fingertips. I would also like to add that the customer service is amazing. they routinely check in just to make sure you understand how to use the products and to walk you through new features. Couldn't be happier with them.

Meltwater review by User in Think Tanks
User in Think Tanks

"Great for Tracking but Sometimes Hard to Filter"

What do you like best?

Meltwater is helpful for tracking media hits generally, especially regarding your organization or employees. It's fairly simple to sort through the information, and their newer reporting system is nice looking. Meltwater's social media tracking piece has been hugely helpful to us, especially for making it easier to report on social media engagement.

What do you dislike?

You need some familiarity with the industry to understand what information is valuable and what is not. It's easy to get caught up in their overall reach numbers if you don't know what you're looking at. It can also be hard to interpret those numbers for the C-suite if you don't know what you're doing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you are clear on how the numbers work for the PR reporting pieces, as things are not always as they seem. Have them walk you through creating dashboards and reports to ease the transition.

We are looking to track, for our metrics and goals, how we are being represented in the media and how often we're used as a resource. It's best for tracking how often our original research is being cited in different media outlets. On the social media side, managing, scheduling, and tracking our social posts has been wildly streamlined by Meltwater Engage.

Meltwater review by Administrator

"Not updated, not super useful"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that they can quickly give you any reporter's email address and you can search by beats, by media (radio/print/tv, etc), and you can search by location. that is extremely helpful. i also appreciate that you can keep databases so for example, if i quickly need to send an email to reporters in houston, i have a stack of contacts that i know are reliable.

What do you dislike?

so often the contact information is completely wrong or the person doesn't even work at that station anymore. because of that, I usually have to spend over an hour looking thru the database for each city, unclicking and clicking the reporter's names that are applicable. And what I also hate is that when i click "select all" on the database list-it doesn't click all, not unless you scroll to the bottom of the list!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would first look at other products to see how expensive they are and how up to date their media database is. For thousands of dollars, you should know that the time that you're putting into the product is worth it and will deliver results. Also, their wire service is complete garbage-it does not reach any more people than simply sending out a press release. And their sales staff can be very pushy-like please don't call me-just send me an email!

I am solving the "problem" of media pitching. Without meltwater, it wouldn't be nearly as successful. I think that we'd be able to find reporters but it would take so much more time and potentially we couldn't reach out personally.

Meltwater review by <span>Edward Y.</span>
Edward Y.

"Meltwater News is Dishonest and a Scam"

What do you like best?

Decent media database of reporter information.

What do you dislike?

Meltwater as a service platform isn't bad. I subscribed to Meltwater News for a full year at about $3,000. This gave me access to their media database which was relatively accurate. Some records were either out of date or not listed at all. But that wasn't my main complaint. No database can be 100% current or accurate.

My main complaint is with the fact that your annual account is renewed automatically for $3,000 unless you give official notification 60 days before your current agreement is up.

Yes, they include this language in the small print of the agreement, and bad on me for not carefully reading every line.

But in this day and age to force clients to stay for another year at such a high rate is unthinkable.

Stay far, far FAR away from Meltwater.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Note the 60 day cancellation notice requirement or you will be auto-renewed for a full year with no way out.

Find media reporter and editor contact information.

Meltwater review by <span>Mya W.</span>
Mya W.

"Simple, but can be frustrating"

What do you like best?

Meltwater has a very user-friendly database. It has supplanted Google News for me in a lot of instances, because I feel I get more results with the same ease of use. You can also set up email notifications that send coverage updates into your inbox, which I love.

What do you dislike?

I never feel that I can rely totally on the results that Meltwater returns to me. Without fail, the other monitoring products I use find something that this tool misses. This is especially true for social media monitoring. I also have had consistently mediocre customer service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This might be the simplest tool you will use (especially if you're good at Boolean operators), but not good to solely rely on it for your media monitoring.

Quick, relatively comprehensive news and social media monitoring. Allows you to remove the manual aspect of monitoring for mentions.

Meltwater review by <span>Melanie C.</span>
Melanie C.

"Worthwhile Investment"

What do you like best?

We've tried other software that claims to do what Meltwater does, so far we haven't found anything to compare. The analytics, real-time monitor, just about everything has helped us get the great results for our clients who are the users. It's the top product we recommend for our clients to use.

What do you dislike?

Tech support can be a bit slow but we've been working on it long enough that one of our firm's partners can give intro-to classes for Meltwater.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We've had very few tech glitches but when it happens it takes a while to get a fix for the problem. Other than that only an improved visual "dashboard" would be appreciated.

Audience targeting, rapid response, media trends, research and ensuring our content is what our clients need.

Meltwater review by <span>Kelsi B.</span>
Kelsi B.

"Amazing Contacts, Tools, and Data at my Fingertips "

What do you like best?

Circulation numbers, List building features, Meltawater Engage for social media analytics and influencer engagement

What do you dislike?

Not enough journos outside of US and Euro markets, dashboards are complicated to design properly

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the geographical spread of media monitoring/outreach you need and the global limitations of Meltwater. Since Meltwater has purchased Sprout Social (branded as Meltwater Engage) for social media monitoring, it is a huge selling point.

The usual: finding new journalists and outlets to cover our work -- Meltwater has helped us uncover new media markets and stay in contact with key journalists

The unusual: attempting to track narrative shifts over time via keyword monitoring -- dashboards and industry reports are helping us legitimize advocacy efforts

Meltwater review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"excellent customer service, difficult at times to use"

What do you like best?

I think Meltwater's customer service is excellent. Their reps are always available to troubleshoot issues and answer questions.

What do you dislike?

I think the organization of the site is still a bit too clunky and difficult to engage with. Even after a few tutorials, I still find myself clicking around to find what I'm actually looking for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Meltwater is a great software to conduct outreach to bloggers, influencers, reporters, experts in niche fields, etc. I do, however, think it takes awhile to become comfortable with using it regularly. Once you become comfortable with its functions and the language of the software, it is quite simple and quick to use. That being said, the support of their reps is excellent and much appreciated.

I use Meltwater to create publicity updates for our global marketers. These publicity updates have been satisfactory and also allow for our company as a whole to stay informed of our publicity and media hits.

Meltwater review by <span>Amanda D.</span>
Amanda D.

"Long Time Meltwater User"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to get the daily news digest sent out to me every morning. It often catches media hits that I do not see in my notifications when on other platforms. My entire staff uses Meltwater to monitor industry news, social listening, and monitoring. We also love our account rep. She is very responsive and always answers our questions in a timely matter. We buy many reports from Meltwater which gets sent to the board annually.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the platform can be down and not working. However, the support team is quick to act when you have these issues and can fix the problem 1-2 days. I don't like the user limits because sometimes we want to add more people. but then we have to upgrade. It's not expensive to upgrade, but it just doesn't seem worth the price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an awesome scheduling tool for social media I recommend their Engage platform. It's my favorite tool by far of theirs, and the reporting features are AWESOME!

Social Listening and Monitoring. We are also able to see what is happening in the industry through media hits. I also like the fact that we are able to buzz out any noise that does not affect our industry. We also use to the tool to monitor our influencers and understand what they are saying about our brand.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Fine Art
Administrator in Fine Art

"Meltwater - Must-have for any global player"

What do you like best?

As a small team, Meltwater has been a powerful tool that allows us with a couple clicks of a button to track our media mentions and see PR analytics. My team is especially fond of the daily emails, which allows us to quickly review our daily press. We also have an amazing account rep that we work with. He is always responsive and willing to jump in to help us with any needs we have on our platforms.

What do you dislike?

As an administrator that works with analytics, I wish that I was able to capture all our search terms on one dashboard, instead of being limited to compare 5 search terms or tags at a time. However, I know that Meltwater is working on changing this function.

With limited staff and resources, Meltwater has been invaluable and allows to monitor our media and social media on a global level. Prior to using Meltwater, we were not able to capture our reach and impact on a national and international level. However, now we are able to create meaningful and comprehensive reports on our campaigns and what it being said about our company across the world.

Meltwater review by User

"Useful, but Expensive & unimpressive"

What do you like best?

Meltwater is extremely useful and has a best-in-class database of journalists that is easily understood and simply searched. They've recently also developed a similarly high-performing database for social influencers that is arguably even more useful.

What do you dislike?

Treat this software like a database, not a magic bullet. Their outreach functionality does not guarantee eyeballs any more than sending out a press release on the PR newswire might. Yes, you can find a journalist's contact info on this site. No, it does not mean you can successfully woo the journalist.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are few options out there for media monitoring and influencer discovery. Meltwater is an exceptional option, if you can afford it. It is not a magic bullet to get your content more eyeballs, but it will perform exactly as it says it will perform, and has great customer service to boot.

We use meltwater for traditional media monitoring and it has performed well. We receive daily updates, the content is easily customized, and the customer service is absolutely top-notch.

Meltwater review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"The one stop shop for all the contacts you’ll ever need!"

What do you like best?

I love Meltwater because you can customize and format what you want to send to publications. It’s eacy to create a list of contact and the “search” feature is amazing! You can look for bloggers in a specific area, writing about a specific thing- or you can look for a regional reporter. The options are endless!

What do you dislike?

I don’t like that you can’t have a “smart sending option”. If you use Meltwater a lot, it’s hard to remember who is part of which contact list so sometimes you can add the same contact to multiple lists. Then you find yourself send multiple pitches to the same contact in a short period of time. Smart sending would allow there to be a 16 hr gap where the same person can’t recieve an email from you within 16 hrs of each other.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn how to utilize ALL of the features. You will definitely get your money’s worth!

A major benefit is that you can upload your own contact list into Meltwater. This allows you to track how responsive your pitch was. You can see the open rate and the links that were clicked.

Meltwater review by <span>Pryor S.</span>
Pryor S.

"Meltwater "

What do you like best?

Meltwater has an extremely easy-to-use interface, and the software has been incredibly effective when we compile media newsletters for our clients. Additionally, my interactions with the Meltwater team members have been uniformly positive.

What do you dislike?

Overall, I don't have a lot of complaints. Importing content into the software for inclusion in newsletters can be frustrating, but, other than that, I've had a very good experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend learning the whole system when you first purchase the product. In this way, each individual tool within the software can be used in conjunction with the others, which maximizes the effectiveness of each.

Primarily, we use Meltwater for media tracking, newsletter creation, and media list maintenance. Through Meltwater, we have been able to more quickly build media campaigns and target the right journalists for media outreach initiatives.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Deceptive Practices"

What do you like best?

Meltwater offers competitive, yet overpriced services.

What do you dislike?

Meltwater is a deceptive company:

1. They don't tell you this, but there is a 60 day cancellation policy, buried in their terms of use, which - by the way - is not included in the contract you sign. The terms of use are linked to, within the contract, but not attached to the contract.

2. The terms of use require you to email / write them 60 days prior to the end of your subscription term if you wish to cancel. After 60 days they lock you in for another entire year of overpriced 'service'.

3. They send an automated email a week after the 60 day renewal period has begun, "reminding" you that you will be using their service for another year, whether you like it or not. If they were an above-board company, they would send you an auto reminder email a week before they lock you in, letting you know that you are nearing your 60 day window.

The fact that this 60 day policy is buried within the terms of use, not present in the contract, and not communicated by the sales people is evidence that Meltwater is an extremely shady company.

Stay away from them.

They are a glorified "Google Alerts". We no longer use them.

Meltwater review by <span>Jacqueline B.</span>
Jacqueline B.

"Digital Marketing Manager"

What do you like best?

I really like the quality focus and attention we get from our Account Executive, even though we are a smaller business compared to her other accounts. It's really great to know that I can reach her at at any time and that she will work as fast as she can to help resolve our problems.

What do you dislike?

This isn't really anything Meltwater has done wrong but as our company's needs have shifted it would be nice to get out of our legacy contract with the Listening platform and only pay for what we currently utilize, the Sprout Social Engage tool. The Sprout Social Engage tool is exactly what we need as we really don't do any media placements so it would be nice if we could maybe increase the amount of seats we have with that subscription and cancel the Listening subscription.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend as illustrated by the customer surveys, case studies and various marketing materials we've provided to Meltwater.

We have a lot of business problems that we are trying to solve but the biggest is that we have a very small and under-staffed team so the ability to manage as much of the creative, development, distribution and management process of our social channels through one tool is huge. There are tools within Sprout Social that we currently aren't taking advantage of but I'm hoping within the new fiscal year for our company we discuss opportunities to integrate with our Salesforce for lead generation and tasking customer support inquiries.

Meltwater review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Outreach capability is a huge time-saver!"

What do you like best?

Being able to pull lists of writers/influencers to reach out to based on relevant keywords for your release/content/etc. is fantastic. You can pull a list based on keywords you've already selected to use for your campaign and build new lists of contacts within minutes. You can then create a customized email (by first name, last name, etc) to send to the entire list. You can then also see the open rate and click rate on these emails. Much better than individual outreach regardless of it you are sending to 5 people or 500.

What do you dislike?

The navigation tabs on the left are a little confusing at times to find what you are looking for, but then continue to make updates that have been helping.

Pulling reports and adding them into results is as easy taking a screen shot or exporting. Definitely a time saver. Also, the outreach functionality saves me a ton of time and still looks like I'm sending out all of the emails personally.

Meltwater review by <span>Amanda A.</span>
Amanda A.

"Meltwater helps us make sure we interact with all of our customers"

What do you like best?

I like how easy the platform is to monitor customers and prospective customers we may have otherwise missed. UGC and engagement are top priorities for our team and now we are able to interact with anyone who is trying to reach us.

What do you dislike?

The sentiment monitoring isn't as smart as I would hope for. Most of the time everything is marked as neutral or even negative when it's not true.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to make sure you are reaching all of your customers and have a handle on any press or social mentions that are going on about your company, Meltwater is the best solution for you.

We've realized how far our reach really is and have been able to form relationships with many more customers than we could have before.

Meltwater review by <span>Britny K.</span>
Britny K.

"Okay competitor to Cision"

What do you like best?

I like that Meltwater is a software as a service company that develops and markets media monitoring and business intelligence software. Knowing that digital data from individuals and businesses is growing exponentially, Meltwater is leading the pack by applying AI to identify trends, extending the reach of media monitoring. Meltwater News is an online intelligence service that searches for relevant keywords in a number of news sources. It includes the following: Meltwater Buzz, a social media measurement tool that allows clients to track and analyze user-generated web content and compare their media exposure to that of other companies, and Meltwater Press, a media contact database and online email distribution service. Clients can use the Press tool to find journalists and distribute company press releases. Meltwater stores approximately 250 million blogs and publications in its database, which clients can access at anytime. Meltwater offers media coverage from 185,000 global sources, with more available by request at no additional charge, as the company uses a proprietary source database.

What do you dislike?

Meltwater does not offer assistance with search engine optimization or press release distribution. Both are entirely the client's responsibility. The Meltwater website does not list an email address, nor does it offer 24/hour support or a live chat. Clients are at the mercy of busy service agents' schedules, with no help available after hours or over the weekend.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Meltwater Group is a “software as a service” (SaaS) company based on a research model funded by the Norwegian Computing Center. In March of 2015, Meltwater Group launched a new SaaS media intelligence program with impressive capabilities. The new platform—simply called “Meltwater”—observes social media to identify trends, connect clients with key influencers, and engage with consumers. Since its creation fourteen years ago in Oslo, Norway, Meltwater has expanded throughout the world. The company currently has offices in Europe, North America, Asia, Australia, and Africa, and boasts tens of thousands of clients worldwide.

The Meltwater dashboard offers extensive analytics, including sentiment analysis, word clouds, number of hits and reads, top publications, exposure over time, and geographic locations for preeminent influencers. Clients may generate a dashboard with default analytic widgets, or design their own from scratch. Keyword searches are easy to refine and results are sent daily or weekly to the client's Meltwater inbox. These analytics allow clients to target their exposure by geography and industry. The dashboard offers all reports "at a glance," but each report contains even more information when accessed on its own. All dashboard reports are easy to export into different file formats and share with other users.

Meltwater review by <span>Stacey G.</span>
Stacey G.

"Meltwater fills in the gaps"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the Meltwater platform for its breadth pf services. Thee are many things you can do with it if you take the time to learn. There unique contacts help fill in the gaps where other PR services don't reach. The platform is also interactive, fun and fresh.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I really dislike. Some of the platform can be a bit confusing but most things have a learning curve. My only criticism is that some of the search features aren't intuitive enough so it can be cumbersome for us. More categories and key terms need to be added to limit searches and really drill down to those that we would want to contact.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you get a lot of upfront training and explanantion of all its capabilities

We regularly use the news search to help us find relevant stories for our own social media and content platforms. Being able to contact editors and writers directly is a big bonus as well.

Meltwater review by <span>Amanda H.</span>
Amanda H.

"Meltwater Sets the Bar High "

What do you like best?

Every aspect of using Meltwater has been pretty great, but there are a couple of standouts for me. First, I love how easy it is to navigate through both the influencer database and the search functions. I've also been thrilled with how fast results load. Our previous PR software took *forever* to load, and Meltwater is literally saving us time by loading quickly. But truly, the best thing about Meltwater is the customer service. They are fast at solving any issues that may arise and are extremely dedicated to making sure the platform is meeting my firm's needs. I feel like my rep actually cares about our goals and actively works to ensure Meltwater is helping us achieve them.

What do you dislike?

After using Meltwater for six months, I can honestly say there is nothing I don't like about the platform. My only complaint is that some of the smaller outlets that I pitch aren't already in Meltwater's system, but my rep always works with me to bring those outlets into the Meltwater system. He's a huge help.

I do wish, however, that Meltwater would pull editorial calendars into their system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it. It's the best decision our PR division has made.

We are able to quickly and efficiently create media lists for distribution that have correct information. There is nothing worse than calling an outlet to pitch and discovering the data you have about which reporters are covering which beats is inaccurate. By delivering good data quickly, Meltwater allows us to deliver earned media hits with minimal staff time invested.

Additionally, we provide clients with PR reports that show AVE. By using Meltwater's data for this instead of getting rate cards from outlets and then extrapolating the numbers, we're able to provide clients with consistent numbers that are likely more accurate than what we'd be estimating based on rate cards.

Meltwater review by <span>Megan C.</span>
Megan C.

"I love using Meltwater!"

What do you like best?

My favorite Meltwater functions are the analytics and influencer information. I like that provides data and analytics that are easy to obtain. My favorite features are the AVE, Impressions, Trend bubbles and the fact that you can research influencers by topic or by name and outlet. Using the meltwater system is pretty intuitive and doesn't take a long time to understand. I also like how you can separate raw data from analytical data.

What do you dislike?

Some things that are frustrating about meltwater is the data set range. IF there is a lot of data, it gets cut off at 10,000 pieces of press. Sometimes it takes forever for pieces of press to load. When exporting small amounts of press, it takes a while for the export to come through - same with the outputs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Meltwater is fantastic and so easy to use! It provides data and analytics that are easy to obtain. My favorite features are the AVE, Impressions, Trend bubbles and the fact that you can research influencers by topic or by name and outlet. Using the meltwater system is pretty intuitive and doesn't take a long time to understand.

Meltwater helps us recognize the value of the media hits we provide to our clients. AVE and reach are our key factors in determining this value.

Meltwater review by <span>Alexis G.</span>
Alexis G.

"I enjoy the product a lot, the old platform is a tad better! "

What do you like best?

I love the media lists and directory (all those functions are awesome) and the outreach tool! LOVE IT -- Also really love the pretty reports you put together for client news mentions and etc.

What do you dislike?

You need to make the outreach tool exactly like the OLD platform -- IT was so easy -- why did you have to update it -- I actually really dislike the new update, you lost the tool to insert a reporters last and first name -- THIS sucked, revert it back to the old platform, the outreach tool that is!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please switch the outreach tool to make it like the old platform -- I HIGHLY recommend this -- I loved some of the functions of the old model you did not carry over.

I am solving not having someone to do mundane and small tasks that suck a ton of time but are necessary aka media tracking and media contact finding. It great to have access to a database and all these awesome tools associated with the platform!

Meltwater review by <span>Christy C.</span>
Christy C.

"Great Analytics, User Friendly"

What do you like best?

The integration of Sprout into the Meltwater family has been incredible. This is one of the only platforms I have worked with that monitors as many social sites as it does. Also, the new News platform is extremely easy to use and much more time efficient than the old platform. I go through monthly clippings and the way it is now set up, it takes me half the time and I can work on multiple months at at time.

What do you dislike?

Not necessarily a dislike, but we are working to have Meltwater integrate with our Simpleview platform - so hopefully this is solved quickly and we can have the two platforms talk to each other.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a media monitoring, social monitoring or PR monitoring software, this is the product your company needs. It is not hard to use at all, anyone can do it. I have introduced this to many industry partners who would agree that you do not have to have special requirements to learn how to use this.

Each month we show our board our editorial value, editorial impressions and the top articles for our city. They have come to really like the graphs and I think it is much easier for them to understand.

Meltwater review by <span>Jake K.</span>
Jake K.

"Working with Meltwater in Publishing."

What do you like best?

Meltwater has proven to be an effective clipping service in the publishing industry. Their tailored alerts have given me and my team the ability to focus more on securing media and less on the logistics of tracking our results. Before, we relied on Google results, which offered us little in the way of analytics. Meltwater's tools allow us to export analysis of results, particularly with websites, which allow us to better understand the significance of publicity we are receiving along the front lines of new media.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike, but the cost is a bit high. Meltwater is a worthy service, but it is certainly not inexpensive!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Considering offering shorter packages. It took us some time to convince our senior members to sign up for Meltwater due to the price and time commitment. We would have likely signed much more quickly if Meltwater had offered a six-month option.

We are trying to keep track of publicity for 1,000 titles a year with only six publicists. Tracking our successes is crucial when it comes to determining print runs, reprint numbers, and boosting sales!

Meltwater review by <span>Gary P.</span>
Gary P.

"Solid media database, user friendly coverage monitoring"

What do you like best?

The customer service has always been superb. Whenever I need something, they are always available. If I find a journalist who's information is incorrect, I simply email them, and within a few days, it's updated. I also love how clean the new media monitoring suit looks. As with any software, it takes some time to learn, but it is clean, and simple.

What do you dislike?

In the new system, the media database has fewer features. Mainly, there is not the same mail-merge function of inputting a journalists name automatically. While this is certainly not a huge deficit, it does make some press release distribution a little difficult.

We did not have a media database and had a very minimal media list. We also had no media monitoring and therefore did not know what our reach was nationally or regionally. MeltWater has aided us in greatly increasing our national and regional coverage. In one year we were able to build relationships with national level journalists and receive feature stories in major publications as well as build relationships with regional journalists.

Meltwater review by <span>Elizabeth B.</span>
Elizabeth B.

"Intuitive, fast, reliable"

What do you like best?

Once the dashboards are set and the keywords loaded, there isn't a more intuitive or helpful way to track impact, reach, and message development than Meltwater. It's the best virtual assistant for tracking results, and getting alerted when unforeseen events impact our work - and brand. The team at Meltwater is incredibly helpful, knowledgeable, and always ready to assist. Melissa and Bianca are absolute rock stars. Cannot live without them or Meltwater!

What do you dislike?

The only limitations to Meltwater are ones we create for ourselves. It serves as a priceless check on competence, strategy, and the full scope of our impact in traditional, digital, and social media.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it.

Meltwater is a virtual assistant, and creates efficiency across all our message development and tracking.

Meltwater review by <span>Holly M.</span>
Holly M.

"Must-Have Tool for Public Relations Professionals"

What do you like best?

The data base of reporters and influential media contacts is invaluable. With the click of a button you can find the name, title, phone number and email address of hundreds of reporters from hundreds of publications and broadcast outlets.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing about Meltwater that I "dislike."

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this product. Not only is the platform quick, efficient and easy to use, but the customer support team is always on top of their game. I have always had every question answered with a positive attitude.

Meltwater is a huge time saver for me. Rather than searching the Internet for hours, I can pull up exactly what or who I am looking for using the "influencer" tab or the search dashboards. I have been able to contact important writers and reporters quicker and more efficiently, and now have a database all my own for future reference.

Meltwater review by <span>Laura F.</span>
Laura F.

"Worst Business Interaction I have had in 10 Years of 10 "

What do you like best?

Nothing. Painful experience and I will never try it again.

What do you dislike?

Meltwater has been a horrible experience since my days in my first agency. They overcharge, under service and threaten to bring you to collections when you complain or try to cancel. Email database is out of date, social listening is amateur and customer service is just despicable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stop threatening my brand new business with legal action and collections. Your contract was not even signed by a person legally binding my company. Learn how to treat your customers and get a reality check on your pricing.

They just keep threatening me with legal action and collections when we are trying to set up a meeting to sort it out. They keep cancelling our meetings without follow up and then send rude emails demanding payment for services we aren't even using.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Meltwater makes my job so much easier."

What do you like best?

I like that Meltwater has the ability to send out emails to multiple recipients at once without having them all CC'd and how it makes finding reporter emails so much easier for me. I also like that we get reports twice a day that let us know where our clients were mentioned.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are glitches in the system that make it hard to send emails or find people's contact info, but that can happen on any platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great platform that has helped my whole company do their jobs more efficiently.

We are trying to reach the right reporters and publications for our clients and Meltwater helps us find the right people and publications to reach out to. It also has made pitching easier since we can email so many reporters at once.

Meltwater review by <span>Jamie L.</span>
Jamie L.

"Good support; hard to export results in the right way. "

What do you like best?

Support is really good. Meghan has been super helpful to our team on setting up and using the system.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how it's difficult to export tagged posts. I want an easy way to share about ~20 posts per month that have been tagged so I can send these to my team. Right now, I have to send this as a newsletter then PDF the email I get to my Gmail. Often times, several of the profile pictures are missing too. I'd like a word doc export that I could manipulate for my monthly reporting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

allow for Twitter likes and RTs

Monitoring mentions of our work beyond just our specific name and handle. The advanced queries are really helping do this!

Meltwater review by <span>Michael K.</span>
Michael K.

"We use Meltwater to manage, monitor, implement traditional media and social/digital media."

What do you like best?

-Streamlines social media operation.

-Improves social media customer service.

-Offers delegation opportunities.

-Further justifies media monitoring and social media engagement to organizational leadership.

-Provides integration of all media related operations (traditional monitoring, social media, etc.)

-Robust and accessible analytics.

What do you dislike?

-Some missing functionality, specifically on the social side, like following users from within in the messages feed, or full integration with native platforms.

-Prohibitive cost for expansion of users across organization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go all in. You won't regret it.

-We now have a better sense of who is talking about us in real time and can react accordingly.

-We're now able to have better data to influence our strategy and overall decision making.

-Our processes have been optimized as the platform has offered new efficiencies and better operation/communication.

-Our overall customer service is much improved.

-Our comprehensive strategy has greater potential thanks to platform functionality and capability.

Meltwater review by <span>Sean S.</span>
Sean S.

"Tracking media and ad value for PR efforts."

What do you like best?

I enjoy the ease of tagging stories that I have either influenced or coordinated interviews for and then exporting a spread sheet to see reach and ad value for those stories. The influencers tab is useful as well, but is limited with individuals listed.

What do you dislike?

I have not utilized the front page through my time using this product. There are certain functions like 'Top Sources' and sometimes 'Heat Map' that I will glance at, but the majority of the time I am immediately clicking on 'Search' and utilizing the 'Tag' function.

Not so much solving business problems, but having the ability to show my administrators/supervisors of the value of the PR that I am pushing out is very beneficial. Showing that PR is just as important as marketing/advertising is of great importance to me, and getting an ad value # is very helpful in this process.

Meltwater review by <span>Jake N.</span>
Jake N.

"Easy to Use, Great Data"

What do you like best?

I use Meltwater to gain insight on media contacts and it's great. I can find contact info, which they say gets combed often to ensure someone opts in to having their info within their system. I have made several good press contacts and found the initial information with their tool.

What do you dislike?

Although they say you can email out from their tool and it looks like you are emailing from your personal email address, it's not the case. There are footer links, including an unsubscribe link, so it's pretty obvious to media (anyone really) that they are part of a mass email. I don't email from the system... and I don't think mass emails are are good idea anyway.

It's not easy connecting with people and finding relevant contact info is even harder. Meltwater does a great job a getting it. And if there is someone you'd like to contact but Meltwater does not have them in their system, you can make a request and they'll get it for you. As stated earlier, Meltwater benefits me in that I have connected with important people more easily.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Environmental Services
Administrator in Environmental Services

"Great Customer Service, OK Results"

What do you like best?

The customer service and relations is wonderful. The platform is easy to learn and use and is very intuitive.

What do you dislike?

The reports based on our keywords are painfully broad - to the point where I am more likely to find curated content from a google alert than from meltwater. The results are not tailored to what we like and are overwhelming and unrelated to what we want. It is also frustrating that you have to send press releases out through the platform and cannot send them from your own email.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have to work on your search and boolean search terms extraordinarily well. We have a very local audience (DC only) which has been interesting (and frustrating) since Meltwater revels in its capabilities as a global brand.

We are supposed to be using Meltwater to monitor for mentions of our organization in the press and interesting and thought provoking articles on a number of related topics that we can, in turn, share on social media. As mentioned above, the poor reports we receive hinder our ability to do this. Once or twice yearly we use the press release function. We have not received too many benefits since I am a bit frustrated with the reporting aspect of the platform (the primary thing we want to use it for) but the press release function has been successful.

Meltwater review by <span>Jenn T.</span>
Jenn T.

"Must-have tool for any marketer"

What do you like best?

The tool is very intuitive, and you're ready to start using it immediately, even before training. I'm able to create reports easily as well.

In Engage, I love the social calendar, where I am able to see all my profiles in one go, as well as the ability to duplicate any posts quickly and easily. Another favourite is being able to schedule a post multiple times in a single go.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more configurations available in the charts (as well as formatting legends, titles, colours, etc).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is easy to use and makes your life easier!

Automation is key! The ability to monitor all pages (which are managed by other team members) is really helpful. Also the ability to task others with particular posts is great.

Meltwater review by <span>Claire P.</span>
Claire P.

"Switched from Meltwater to Cision- and couldn't be happier! "

What do you like best?

I love the customer service that Meltwater has. I also like that the platform is updated, user friendly, and appealing to look at. That's important to me when it's something I use on a daily basis!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that someones it doesn't pick up on media mentions. They're very helpful when I come across the mention myself and they add it to their database, but I've found even then it will still miss mentions from the same publication down the road.

It helps me connect with Atlanta area journalists and get the word out there about upcoming events, menu changes or anything we're doing.

Meltwater review by <span>Shruti S.</span>
Shruti S.

"Meltwater for PR"

What do you like best?

I like the email tracking feature that allows you to see how journalists are interacting with pitches they receive. It's nice to who has opened it or not opened it, how long they have read it etc.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there isn't an easier way to filter down results once you do searches. I also don't like that many of the contacts are not up to date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about what your needs are as an organization and then decide if Meltwater makes sense.

I'm helping with new business inquiries and looking at prospective clients past media coverage.

Meltwater review by <span>Jeff H.</span>
Jeff H.

"Easy-to-understand product, friendly customer service"

What do you like best?

Meltwater News doesn't overwhelm you with all kinds of pseudo-features that you won't use. It's got an simple and intuitive interface; it provides access to a robust range of international news sources; and you can set up and adjust parameters to your news agents easily. If you have questions or need help setting up your news agents, your designated account rep jumps in and provides hands-on support.

What do you dislike?

I can't really think of much that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give the trial a whirl and see if it meets your needs.

This product helps people working in various business lines of my company stay informed on new developments in their discipline. It helps new staff get up to speed on our industry. It helps support corporate issues management. I've also used the news it brings to my attention for customer communications.

Meltwater review by <span>Diana T.</span>
Diana T.

"Digital Media Monitoring & Media Database"

What do you like best?

The new platform design. It's easy to navigate, mimics an app, user-friendly and clear

What do you dislike?

I don't like that Media contacts are listed under influencers because how we speak of media contacts and "influencers" in the industry is different so it took a while to remember that the media database was under the Influencers tab. I also don't love having to toggle feature when having to decide what to search. i.e. sources vs. content. I wish there were separate tabs for these.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the trial and understand your internal business needs so Meltwater can craft a platform of services to best suit your needs

We are able to see where we are vs. our competitors which is a huge benefit. It allows us to re-strategize quickly to hopefully take over more of the conversation in the media.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
Administrator in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Lots of options so can tailor to needs"

What do you like best?

Customer service is great! Very friendly and helpful. From the service itself, I get the primary benefit from the daily alerts. I also use their search option if I want to search for something in specific - keywords, etc. I like that you can set up a search to pull up stories with keywords in selected pubs only if you want. This helps drill results down to only the best and/or most applicable.

What do you dislike?

There are many options to fill your dashboard with, but I don’t draw any meaningful information from pieces outside of a few of them. Some of them seem a little overkill, but I guess it depends on what people find valuable for their needs – the user controls what they see on their dashboards. I do find that because there are just so many things and many nuances, the software can be difficult to navigate. Luckily, our account rep is great and very helpful anytime I have questions, but I wish it was more intuitive so that I could easily take care of things myself.

Also, I pull coverage reports from Meltwater, but I’ve been disappointed that the platform doesn’t always pull all coverage. There are some (sometimes big ones) it misses and it's not clear as to why. Google alerts ends up telling me instead. Part of why we switched to Meltwater was to have a more robust and comprehensive tracking system for news stories (ideally to replace google alerts for the story tracking), but I still use google alerts as well.

Coverage tracking and keyword tracking to jump in on conversations and which reporters are talking about what.

Meltwater review by <span>Toni L.</span>
Toni L.

"Great"

What do you like best?

Tracking media coverage and analyzing placements (their reach/impressions, whether it was negative or positive, etc.). It's also a great tool to us to monitor organic pickup.

What do you dislike?

We tried out their media database for media and influencer tracking and it was hard to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is my favorite media monitoring and analytic tool.

This is how we track and monitor media coverage. It provides an easy tool with email updates so I can stay on top of my clients. Not only does it allow me to track placements my agency has secured, but we use it to stay on top of organic pickup as well as any potential media crisis situations.

Meltwater review by User in Computer Software

"Pretty good media monitoring platform"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to track media coverage for our company and our competitors. I like that we are able to set up automatic emails with media coverage updates daily. It is pretty easy to use, and they offer a lot of charts that we use for reporting to our leadership. They also have a wire distribution service that we use , which is also very simple and user friendly. Their customer service is also pretty good and they get back to you quickly if you have any issues.

What do you dislike?

I find that the media contact database isn't as updated as it should be. They are missing a lot of key publications and media contacts. I often have to do the work myself outside of MeltWater to find new media contacts. They are willing to add new contacts if you flag it for them, but I run into this issue so much that I would be asking them to update their media database every week. I prefer MeltWater's competitor, Gorkana, but it comes at a much higher price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at your options and think about the functionality that you are really looking for.

Easy tracking for media coverage and reporting purposes, in addition to wire distribution.

Meltwater review by <span>Louise N.</span>
Louise N.

"Meltwater makes media monitoring and outreach simple"

What do you like best?

The all in one platform is so much better than their old platforms, and the speed and user-friendliness make it very easy to work with. I can pull media lists and reports in no time at all, and it's great for capturing and sharing broadcast clips with our Executives around the World.

What do you dislike?

The old Meltwater News platform was clunky and slow, but since they have upgraded me to the new platform, no complaints at all!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd always thought of Meltwater as being online monitoring only, but they actually cover print and broadcast as well, and have a stronger media contact database than others. I don't think many folks in the PR space know that, so make sure to ask if you speak with them or meet them at a trade show.

We have executives all around the World, and work with Government a lot, so we have a lot of different deliverables in different formats. Meltwater has allowed us to do everything we need from a media perspective from one platform and we can easily share content globally, saving us lots of time and hassle.

Meltwater review by <span>Kathi T.</span>
Kathi T.

"Meltwater makes my job easier and makes me look smarter!"

What do you like best?

Their news report that comes right to my email every morning! It indicates everywhere our company has been mentioned in the news and it lists other news articles that might be of interest to us. This makes be look very "on top of things" when I forward specific links to my upper management!

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything that I dislike about Meltwater.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The people at Meltwater really try to please and to make sure you are happy using their product.

We can stay alert to what is going on with our competition and we can discover certain needs that are out there that we may have a solution for. We can also stay abreast of where we are in the news internationally which we were a lot in the past year.

Meltwater review by <span>Rose G.</span>
Rose G.

"Great for Tracking Mentions "

What do you like best?

Meltwater keeps expanding in its services (they just added a sprout social component) but multiple parties at our organization find it useful. It tracks press mentions and social mentions as well us keep track of influencers. You can track news, buzz, and reach through its variant platforms.

What do you dislike?

The services are spread out so it's a little disorienting for some admins to understand all the tool capabilities. It's also a little pricey plus your subscription is automatically renewed of 60 days notice is not given. Be aware of the prices when signing on. Sometimes a few of the tools get a little wonky but that usually is fixed without a hitch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can add up but is probably the best software for tracking press mentions. Definitely read the small print before putting in your billing information. Your subscription is automatically renewed of 60 days notice is not given.

We're using it for analytics with social media, PR, who's mentioning our organization and which groups we want to track to make sure they're aware of our product.

Meltwater review by <span>Michelle F.</span>
Michelle F.

"Just couldn't get it."

What do you like best?

I would guess that Meltwater is a pretty robust media monitoring tool for the right company.

What do you dislike?

We could never get the news filtering into our searches to be clean and usable. We could never get to a point where we could send out an alert to members of the management team because there was always an extraneous article (or 10) being pulled into any feed we made. I get that "Belden" is a last name and the name of a town, but we could just never get the news we needed no matter how many filters we put in place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a common company name, be prepared to spend a lot of time developing filters and keywords to get at the news you want to see.

It actually caused more problems than it solved, unfortunately. I spent many hours trying to get it up and running only to have our marketing teams reject it.

Meltwater review by <span>Sharon M.</span>
Sharon M.

"It's useful, but know it's limitations before you sign (and meet the much detested auto-renewal)"

What do you like best?

Daily alerts, monthly newsletter creation save time and alert you to any 'big picture' activity each morning.

What do you dislike?

Journalist content information is wholly unreliable. You will need to access another platform (for me, that's FeaturesExec from DWP). Any changes that you suggest to Meltwater are unlikely to ever appear, in short, just don't rely on the contact information at all. Your list entries are not updated against live versions, therefore you have to recreate each list at least once a year manually - or ask your account manager to do this for you.

Worst feature (as is detailed so much in the reviews ) is their very poor sales model. My biggest issue is not actually the 60 day auto renewal, it's the fact that they delight in first selling the service to PRs/Consultants; then once your Client data is loaded, they offer clients direct a monitoring package, often with greater service levels (countries covered) and at a cheaper price still than the bargain bucket price that you think you have negotiated. This has caught me so many times. The client ends up with a service they don't really need or know how to use and us PRs are unable to provide a clipping service as it is now entirely at our own cost.

Also note, one of the senior directors at Meltwater was involed in a bitter legal challenge with the NLA in the UK in 2013 over the rights to forward clippings. He then went on to run the NLA (Newspaper Licensing Authority). It could be a remarkable co-incidence, but after that happened all the PRs on the system were then hit with annual NLA Licence costs for forwarding clippings onward!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be aware of the business implications and consider the tool as a daily delivery aid not a method of outbound comms to journalists

Daily notifications and a quick and easy way of forwarding a newsletter to clients each month vs Excle based coverage reports

Meltwater review by <span>Megan J.</span>
Megan J.

"Meltwater is helpful and still growing"

What do you like best?

I like the dashboard which shows ad value and reach numbers... helps to quantify and validate media coverage. I also like being able to download contacts from their database. Their customer service is also great.

What do you dislike?

Some media contacts are listed in their influencer database, but do not have a unique email or phone...it's the generic email for the outlet. If they are listed, they should have their unique contact info. Also would love to have filters to sort a search result for outlets by reach. Lastly, there are still hits that are missed, especially in the print service.

Meltwater helps to quantify the value of earned media coverage.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Public Relations and Communications
Administrator in Public Relations and Communications

"Meltwater- not my favorite for media monitoring"

What do you like best?

The Meltwater customer service is great. It is an easy platform to use and quickly learn.

What do you dislike?

The print clips system Meltwater uses does not pick up any major outlets. I know this is through a second party (Burrells), but I really think they could improve on this. I have also found the database is outdated or has general info@ email addresses for contacts, which of course are useless. The list building system is more complicated and less helpful than Cision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use a better print clipping service than Burrells.

Meltwater helps finds clips (media monitoring) for clients. It only works for online for my clients, and not for print as they use Burrells which will not pick up major outlets such as Conde Nast Traveler, Vogue, Travel & Leisure, etc. It has helped me to find some contacts, but, again, I find the database to be outdated.

Meltwater review by <span>Lynda K.</span>
Lynda K.

"CCAB has benefited greatly from switching to Meltwater"

What do you like best?

* Customer Service

* Extensive reach and up to date database

* Great analytics

What do you dislike?

* difficulty building lists

*Not the easiest instructions on how to navigate meltwater's features. (wish there was some sort of handbook etc)

*List numbers should corespond with how many influencers we can sent out, so if our max is 1000 recipients, lists should be able to go to 1000 people (for ease)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have the Meltwater team come and give you a demo. Very impression!!!

* Reach

* Time Saving

Meltwater review by <span>Laura N.</span>
Laura N.

"Great Customer Service and Easy Navigation"

What do you like best?

I greatly appreciate the responsiveness of our account representative and the willingness to set aside time to help troubleshoot issues when they arise.

What do you dislike?

I wish we could get access to a few more of our local media outlets, since the service picks up some local stories but not others. It would be great to have a one-stop shop to find everything, instead of searching individual local outlet sites separately from Meltwater.

It helps greatly with targeting pitches to the right contacts, capturing broadcast coverage and tracking metrics for our campaigns. It's also nice to have a daily snapshot of our exposure and what's trending.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Religious Institutions
Administrator in Religious Institutions

"Less robust than Cision"

What do you like best?

Simple interface, looks easy to use, lack of clutter on each page

What do you dislike?

Searching for influencers (journalists, writers, bookers, etc) under a certain category and then filtering those results is difficult; filtering media monitoring results is difficult; lack of formatting when sending emails out to influencers

Recommendations to others considering the product

If we had been able to demo the platform with our objectives and purposes in mind, we would have been able to make a far more informed decision. A representative visited our office to demo the software through a demo account on our computers, but we weren't given as much time as we would have liked to peruse the functions. If you are only targeting a few influencers and outlets and are fine with sending out less than 10-20 pitch emails, then Meltwater might work out okay. And if you don't mind being unable to limit your search results very much (i.e. by source, to filter out fake news), then the media monitoring might work well. But we'd like to be able to discover influencers who are OFFICIALLY covering the beats that we're interested in, not just those who have recently written about a subject we want publicity for in passing or just one or two times.

The emailed media monitoring report sent each day is convenient and has a clean interface, which makes it easier to determine what might be relevant to us and which clips we might want to take action on by sharing or monitoring.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Product knowledge and support is great, platforms are easily navigated, very satisfied customer"

What do you like best?

Rep and Help Desk responds incredibly fast, usually resolves issues within minutes. Platforms are easily navigated. I use the News inbox and newsletter most frequently and I am so grateful that my work saves if I need to go to a different tab. The mobile app is also a great convenience. I can tag articles while out & about and compile a newsletter much quicker when I'm back at the office.

What do you dislike?

The platform is a little bit more simplified than I'd like, but still workable. I would appreciate a more robust interface for the emails to Influencer Lists. In particular, I'd like to be able to save templates for the different types of news releases I issue, and also be able to save hosted graphics within the platform.

Inbox can only display results from one Agent at a time. Would cut down on duplicates and speed up the process for me if I could select multiple Agents to display at one time.

Can't set up an Agent that is specifically searching only Top Tier sources or a combination of sources. The ability to select some specific types of sources has been removed from the interface (e.g., Top Tier).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Quality, proven products. Responsive support that gives resolution to problems. Company takes customer suggestions to the builders and frequently (quarterly) upgrades their platform in response to that feedback.

The mobile app has made it less time-consuming to compile and send the daily newsletter to staff.

We were directed by management to set up special tracking and dashboards to monitor our officers and spokespersons in the news and social media, with the ability to send automated daily newsletters to their staff, which is now available using Meltwater.

The ability to create an Agent using either keywords or Boolean makes it possible for more staff to set up an Agent who do not necessarily have knowledge of Boolean.

Meltwater review by <span>Jason C.</span>
Jason C.

"Great content sources but expensive and difficult to use"

What do you like best?

The wide range of media sources and the convenient daily email reports.

What do you dislike?

The dashboard is complicated and difficult to customize. I shouldn't have to go through multiple training sessions just to learn how to use it. Meltwater is also very expensive for small non-profit agencies like ours. The thing I dislike the most is your accounts receivables department in Vancouver. They tried all sorts of sales gimmicks to get us to pay our account early, and they wouldn't give up even after we told them "no". It was really disrespectful and bad customer service.

Social media and content for our e-newsletter

Meltwater review by <span>Claire L.</span>
Claire L.

"Meltwater has been a consistent platform contributing to the success of our media relations!"

What do you like best?

Meltwater has given my nonprofit a direct point of contact that checks in with me regularly. We have a great working relationship and our representative has always been helpful with keeping us updated in changes and updated to the platform.

What do you dislike?

The new app platform has a pretty hard learning curve. Changing from the meltwater buzz website to the app.meltwater was not an easy transition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research! But know that Meltwater has consistently given us the tools we need to make an impact in the news cycle.

We are solving the immense challenge of reaching out to the media with relatable content. We are able to now reach trendsetters and newsmakers as well as influencers in and outside of our field.

Meltwater review by Consultant in Entertainment
Consultant in Entertainment

"easy to use and learn, makes working easy and fast"

What do you like best?

easy to use, easy interface which helps newcomers as well. Meltwater support is amazing, they are always ready to help you in your needs.

What do you dislike?

sometimes too much work =) finding info sometimes takes long. good info and amount of it can be a problem as well. there are so many options and opportunities.. If you do not know what you want or what you are aiming to it is easy to get lost with all the info that is available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

easy to use and gives you several options to control your assignements. Lots of options to mke different kind of reports to your clients. Also has a good list for contacts in the media.

finding out who we reached is very easy. meltwater gives us easy reports as well as options what to do. it has given us several new media contacts we could not found ourself.

Meltwater review by <span>Sean A.</span>
Sean A.

"Do not use Meltwater"

What do you like best?

Nothing comes to mind. We signed a one year contract, were unhappy, and were forced into a second year.

What do you dislike?

Their estimations/calculations for ad value and circulation were so overblown and unrealistic that they were unusable. We also fell prey to their auto-renewal policy, which was of course buried in the fine print and not discussed until it was too late.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has been a while since we used them, but we do not have happy memories. Although we still get calls every year that they have made modifications, I will never use them again, for this or any other company.

We discontinued our relationship with Meltwater years ago, after using them for media monitoring. I did not realize any benefits that I remember.

Meltwater review by <span>Emily M.</span>
Emily M.

"Meltwater is the best solution i've found for real time push alerts of headlines mentioning key clie"

What do you like best?

The app experience is seamless. I like how the influencer data base refinement tools allow you to get very granular with who you are seeking to find.

What do you dislike?

The duplicates feature was a bit hard to navigate and sometimes means missing an outlet that the client cares about because higher impression volume is shown as primary result.

Results in other languages are not translated via the app or within the dashboard, another click is required to understand the headline and its relevance.

Monitoring client names. We are able to be more efficient and react more quickly by having meltwater's software.

Meltwater review by <span>Maggie L.</span>
Maggie L.

"Review for Meltwater News"

What do you like best?

There are a lot of options for Meltwater. With it, I am able to construct and organize lists, export lists and send messages directly through the database. I also enjoy that I am able to easily share lists with my coworkers while still using our separate Meltwater News accounts. The staff at Meltwater have been extremely helpful. If I am having a problem, I am able to email them and receive a quick response. If they don't know an immediate solution, they send it to their tech team and walk me through the process. I have received a few negative emails from recipients I emailed through Meltwater over the year but these rare occurrences were quickly and professionally handled.

What do you dislike?

The database will slow down substantially will working on bigger projects. This can cause all work to be lost or otherwise delay work. It's also difficult to determine if the maximum number of contacts have been reached for a list. An error message or warning would be helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We have Meltwater News because it works best for our organization. I recommend upgrading if you need more media tracking and analytics. We did the trial of their upgrade and everything was great. Talk with your sales representative to figure out what will work best for you.

We are able to reach journalists in specific areas of the country or that perform a specific job. Instead of sending to a random list of anyone in journalism, we are able to efficiently target recipients. Using Meltwater, we have been able to communicate better with journalists outside our old lists of contact. This has increased awareness of our organization and what we have done.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Imperfect but gets the job done"

What do you like best?

I like the search options for boolean or keywords when doing a scan. It also impressively goes back years. There are also many search options when looking for a reporter such as you can search by outlet, journalist, DMA, or beat and then within a filter, search for keywords which is great. I also like that you can save lists or export lists very easily.

What do you dislike?

Meltwater does not do a good job of keeping up with when reporters change outlets or beats. There is also no way for a user like myself to send a ticket to the Meltwater folks alerting them of the change, which would make corrections in the database faster. Many reporters also have the generic newsdesk as their e-mail. And there are often typos in names that is embarrassing when sending a mail merge. Also, they do not catch WSJ or NYT articles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great tool but definitely not exhaustive when creating media lists and not always up to date. Always double check.

Meltwater helps with media monitoring and creating media lists. It saves time of searching outlet by outlet.

Meltwater review by <span>Alison R.</span>
Alison R.

"Just the facts ma'am"

What do you like best?

You can look up phone numbers and email addresses with anyone, but I love the word search functionality that allows me to see which journalists have covered certain subjects and competitors.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you need to fool around with the cities and markets to get the correct journalists to appear. Never have quite figured that out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Total bargain. You really don't need the other bells and whistles.

Expanding to new markets where we don't have many contacts yet is key.

Meltwater review by <span>Emily S.</span>
Emily S.

"Meltwater is a great tool for internal use"

What do you like best?

Meltwater is a great tool for monitoring and reporting. What I like best is how user friendly and easy the platform is for us to go in and monitor and create reports as needed. However, should we need any assistance, the customer support is great.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Meltwater is that sometimes to get the most accurate results, you have to go in manually and make adjustments accordingly.

With Meltwater we are able to show our PR results to our larger team. Since this is often a challenge in PR, this is a great tool to support our efforts and for our colleagues to understand our success.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Meltwater became my favorite digital co-worker"

What do you like best?

The suite helped automate work and save time in reporting, media monitoring, outreach and more. There was always peace of mind that no important headlines or coverage would be missed.

What do you dislike?

There was nothing specific I dislike about the Meltwater platform. The only addition I would love to see and missed from previous competitors was the ease of looking up a particular outlet's reach or readership. This was not possible with Meltwater.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The base suite does offer a lot of value and functions, however, having the budget for additional features can add even more value. I did feel like there was some pressure to upgrade our contract with additional software pieces when we first onboarded with the company. While we stuck with the basics, I appreciated always having someone to feature out to with questions.

Meltwater helps to automate time-consuming aspects of public relations and marketing work. As a one-person department, it always feels like I'm working against the clock. Meltwater saved me time throughout my weeks, making reporting, media monitoring and outreach to much easier.

Meltwater review by <span>Lori B.</span>
Lori B.

"Outstanding Customer Service"

What do you like best?

The Meltwater tool is user friendly and has a lot of capacities I haven't tapped into yet. But the service is bar none. Mario and his team consistency provide outstanding service in meeting our objectives. I also appreciate the webinars that go hand in hand with the continued changes in social media communication.

What do you dislike?

Price is difficult for small entities, but you get what you pay for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Meltwater works everyday to meet the needs of the customer. It is a delight to have them as a partner in our efforts.

We have centralized our lists and continue to add lists for target audiences we want to talk to.

Meltwater review by User

"Meltwater does a decent job at what I need."

What do you like best?

I really appreciate the ability to easily schedule out content posting and monitor the results. It's not my preferred platform, but it gets the job done efficiently enough for my client's needs. I don't use as much of the program as I could because we only use it for social posting, so I can't really speak to other factors related other than this one aspect.

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything I specifically don't like, but it just seems like it could offer a lot more. Other companies that I've used for the same solution offer a more robust offering of services. This one is fine, it could be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this to others looking for ways to schedule posts in an easy to use platform.

It offers a lot of flexibility in how we are able to schedule content. I like the calendar view as you schedule to be able to see what the days will look like on each platform. It's done a better job at adapting to character number updates like with Twitter being 250 characters. It's more intuitive than some options.

Meltwater review by <span>Kjersti V.</span>
Kjersti V.

"Helpful resource for a busy marketer"

What do you like best?

Once set up, the tracking software is great. I like getting twice daily comprehensive reporting on my keywords. We just added the influencer database which i think is greatly going to enhance our media outreach for both pitching stories and evaluating marketing opportunities.

I am also excited about the CRM element of the influencer database. Will make tracking conversations much more smooth.

I am very happy with the segmented influencer lists - great for creating an outreach list that is easy to keep track of.

I also really like being able to download all lists and media hits.

What do you dislike?

Still a few clunky elements on the interface. The new monitor dashboard is taking me awhile to adjust to, i think in time i will really like it.

I would like to be able to more easily sort news stories.

I don't like that once i select an influencer for one type of list i cannot add them to another more segmented list without "unfollowing" them and then readding them to multiple lists at once.

We just set up the influencer / media database elements. I think this is going to greatly enhance our outreach and marketing efforts.

we are a small business with a lot of PR needs and limited budget and time. Meltwater has helped us identify what stories are of great value for reach.

Meltwater review by <span>Kelsey M.</span>
Kelsey M.

"Great - But Can Be Pricey"

What do you like best?

Love the social media monitoring - helps me find people who are talking about my organization!

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't love is the price - but their sales reps will work with you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a small business owner, this tool might be more than you need - it really all depends on the amount of online chatter there is that surrounds your brand.

I'm picking up on online media coverage I might have otherwise missed!

Meltwater review by <span>Dave K.</span>
Dave K.

"Meltwater Keeps Getting Better"

What do you like best?

Their products are easy to use! And they keep adding more functionality to their offerings which only enhances the end results. I especially like the Executive Alerts and social media monitoring. I see a lot more going on in our industry than I knew of before using Meltwater.

What do you dislike?

The pricing seems a bit high and I sometimes feel rushed to take advantage of a new product offering and that price seems a bit high. I would like to see better bundling of products at a more reasonable price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They've got so many products to choose from and are constantly updating to meet your demands. I initially started working with Meltwater for the clipping services, but quickly discovered that they did so much more. I really like their offerings and I feel that I am so much more informed about our stance in the marketplace and promoting ourselves was never easier.

We're able to track all of our news and social mentions utilizing Meltwater's intuitive tools from the standard Meltwater alerts to the Executive Alerts. Any keywords I enter can be drilled down to exactly what I want (and don't want) to see in my daily (up to the minute) feed.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Health, Wellness and Fitness
Administrator in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"User friendly and intuitive platform that is constantly being updated and improved"

What do you like best?

I appreciate how intuitive the new Meltwater platform. The ability to customize dashboards on the new platform is also very helpful feature so that we can quickly track various metrics on our media coverage. Another one of my favorite features of the Meltwater is the volume of keywords we're able to track on a very reasonable budget -- tracking broad industry trends in a rapidly changing sector is a must and it is easy with their platform!

What do you dislike?

We've had some challenges with the email as-it-happens alerts as there have been some lags in the delivery. However, Meltwater's team was quick to investigate what was causing these delays and are looking for a solution.

For many PR people, being able to put solid metrics to their efforts has always been a challenge. With the Meltwater platform we're able to put benchmarks to our efforts so we can report on progress month over month and year over year. Whether we're using potential audience sizes or ad-value equivalent, our senior team is able to track this data against the overall business performance.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Pulling it all Together"

What do you like best?

Meltwater gives me a single source outlet for tracking all my social media contacts, mentions, and followers. The tools included in the Meltwater Suite give me real time views of how quickly my team responds in the field, tell me the combined overall pulse of my followers, and provides key analytics to focus and fine-tune my social media output. Meltwater provides reports that are customizable as well as shareable dashboards for the whole team to work as a single Social Media unit. Many times customers user more than one avenue to reach out, especially if they are unhappy. Meltwater lets me know about all the paths my customers take to speak to the company and allows me a way to collect the data and respond in real time.

What do you dislike?

Meltwater has a bit of a high learning curve. Meshing all the components of the software and digesting the multitude of reports means that you can't just jump in out of the box. It takes time to build a solid analytics base and get all the key pieces in play to make the most of the software and of social media. It's not bad software, just extremely complex, due to the fact that it is extremely feature-rich.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Trial several programs and find the one that's right for you. Meltwater (nor any of the other Social Media programs) are a "one-size-fits-all" solution to Social Media monitoring and analyzing. Several programs had components that we liked, but Meltwater met our needs best.

The primary benefit we have seen using Meltwater is that our customer perspective has shifted from a company that is isolated and hard to reach to one that is available and responsive.

Meltwater review by <span>Lisa P.</span>
Lisa P.

"Efficient Media Software With Excellent Client Service"

What do you like best?

The client service aspect and capacity to troubleshoot is excellent. I have experienced outstanding responsiveness and a willingness to remedy issues as they arise. The account rep assigned to my organization is thoughtful and analytical and very familiar with the platform.

What do you dislike?

I have only been using the system for several months, so am still learning how to maximize the options.

But one aspect that has been quirky is the formatting program; it seems a bit challenging to modify text.

With a Word doc one can very easily modify text, but with this platform, things take more steps to do the same modifications. I have mentioned this to our account rep and understand they are looking into it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

-Ask questions about the media resources for your target industry. Meaning, does Meltwater have journalists and outlets who cover this field?

-Prepare to migrate your media contact lists to Meltwater by having them available to your account rep if you need help for this.

-Set up a template press release (or whatever your purpose of using Meltwater will be) so you can duplicate it for each send and not have to set it up anew each time.

-Add your own email to all your lists so you will receive whatever you send out.

We began Meltwater with few an insubstantial press/media contact lists. In consultation with our account rep, we were able to identify target segments and create several new lists to serve our needs. Also, we were able to integrate our existing media lists into the program to augment what was there. Another thing that was helpful is that Meltwater staff set up a press release template for our organization so I can simply duplicate it each time I need to send a press release, eliminating the need to do a new set-up (design) each time.

This is a useful time-saving benefit.

Meltwater review by <span>Pam R.</span>
Pam R.

"Insanely helpful for anyone looking to get access to media and storytellers. "

What do you like best?

I like that Meltwater is able to show me members of the media that would be interesting in writing about my brand, Schlitterbahn Waterparks, vs. me trying to get in contact with someone who isn't necessarily a fan of waterparks.

It's also very helpful to have TV Eyes integrated so I don't have to switch between programs when I'm monitoring coverage.

The inbox is also great because it shows us all the news stories that were written about us and the impact they make on our brand.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way to see stories from magazines (even if it was the online story) and other outlets that sometimes don't feed into the dashboards we currently have set up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you feel like you're struggling to get in contact with a writer who is interested in your product, I would recommend using Meltwater. Their influencer database is perfect for finding thousands of different writers with different interests!

Their costumer support also does a superb job of walking you through training on how to use their product and make you a pro in a few short days!

We now have a wider variety of reporters and freelance writers to choose from. This has definitely helped us when pitching new stories about the different things we have going on at Schlitterbahn.

The beats filter under "Influencers" is also a huge plus for us!

Meltwater review by <span>Kathy N.</span>
Kathy N.

"Meltwater"

What do you like best?

The new platform has a better way to search for both influencers and for news releases. I like the new platform because I don't have to pick a country when looking for an editor.

What do you dislike?

The support documents need to be detailed. When I was searching on how to find my lists it was a bit of a struggle to figure out using the help documents.

I am solving utilizing my time to scrub editor lists. The main benefit I have found is when I do find an editor I can now see some history that is associated with what beats he covered and what publications he/she has worked with in the past. Again, freeing up my time.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"OK - Need to invest more time to learn it"

What do you like best?

Media Directory - I like the social media added to reporter profiles.

What do you dislike?

The media directory is not always up to date -- Reporters left, fired or died. It is difficult to navigate and go back and forth -- sometimes oftentimes I have to start searches over -- it is difficult to find lists I created. It would be nice to have a dashboard to find and click on everything I need. Your mobile site is limiting. I wish I could look up reporters on the fly. I thought your representatives at the PRSA event were not interested and not engaging. i went up to them, identified myself as a customer -- and not even a thank you or how do you like the product - I guess they would anticipate what I would say.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its' the best of the rest -- None are perfect or superior but this one is the most reliable

I am helping my clients get in or stay out of the media.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Airlines/Aviation
Administrator in Airlines/Aviation

"Great experience using meltwater!"

What do you like best?

The news agents/feeds and monitoring are incredibly useful to us, as there is a lot happening in our industry. It's helpful to be able to easily stay on top of what's going on.

What do you dislike?

The press release distribution can be a bit quirky sometimes, in that the formatting when using the old digital release system would skew the formatting. Using the order forms for the new system is alright, but it would be helpful to get a digital interface back, so I don't have to rely on a combination of a Meltwater and MarketWired rep to get releases transmitted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While not necessarily intuitive at the start, the training is very useful. Once you jump in, the easiest way to get the hang of it is to just experiment and see what you can do.

We use Meltwater routinely for monitoring media mentions on all sorts of things, from our senior leadership, mentions about our company, our competitors, the industry...it's all incredibly useful to help stay on top of what's going on out there!

Meltwater review by <span>Anita J.</span>
Anita J.

"The experiece has been truly rewarding, professional, beneficial and productive"

What do you like best?

Meltwater has been a wonderful partner. They are quick to respond, and comprehensive and detailed with the answers. Also, It is wonderful working with Patrick Regan. The Islands Of The Bahamas ( BMOT) could not have asked for a better team. When Patrick was not available we always has someone else from Meltwater on hand to work closely with us. Maureen Essien is also great. Our Meltwater package includes many variables for a good value.

What do you dislike?

Absolutely nothing. In the beginning we had some kinks to work out but we were new clients. Patrick knew that he was challenged and he kept resending until we approved and it all worked out. It is getting better and better,

One year ago we had a scattered media data base. Through meltwater's assistance we have been able to build on that. Also it is important that we see what the media is posting about the Bahamas on a daily basis so now we have access to the Executive alerts and to take it up a notch through a meeting today we will see what the media is saying about some of our competitors and then we can target those influencers to come to The Bahamas. The reports from the wire services are also valuable.

Meltwater review by <span>Mark D.</span>
Mark D.

"Meltwater has exceeded my expectations"

What do you like best?

The service I get from Bud Bosley, who is responsive to my requests.

What do you dislike?

The media database is not up to date, which creates a disconnect between our news releases and the media. I have not generated as many media hits through the database as I desire and the tracking is easy, but sometimes it's inconsistent (from the old platform to the current platform).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before purchasing, make sure you are getting what you need. Make sure your goals and objectives are shared with Meltwater so they can help you get what you need. There are several great products. I signed a three-year agreement with Meltwater to help lower my annual cost. This contract expires next year and I will strongly consider keeping Meltwater. However, I will "kick the tires" on a couple new vendors that I met at the PRSA International Conference in Indianpolis because I liked what I saw from their presentations. Meltwater is a solid company, however, to partner with.

The benefits include showing my administration the value of media work by my faculty. Meltwater helps me validate a type of work that is hard to measure results.

Meltwater review by User in Higher Education

"Meltwater & UM College of Arts & Sciences "

What do you like best?

The Meltwater platform is quite easy to maneuver. I appreciate the service because it is able to capture media clips of our faculty in the news, both nationally and internationally. And the keyword search is vital for us because the College of Arts & Sciences is a very large entity with many departments and faculty members. We also use the service to prepare newsletters of media clips which is distributed to faculty - a service approved by upper management.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the clipping service picks up articles we don't want: events, career announcements, or articles that are unrelated to the College of Arts & Sciences. And when we had access to the media list service, there were some writer/editors I could not locate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Training service is excellent; they are patient and can walk you through the process of how best to use their service.

I don't believe we have any business problems within our communications office. Benefits of using Meltwater are the company's ability to disseminate news, capture clips, and prepare media lists for press release distribution.

Meltwater review by <span>Kelly G.</span>
Kelly G.

"Meltwater has been a lifesaver for my role in media relations."

What do you like best?

The Meltwater team is great! They are very responsive whenever I have questions or issues. The list of media influencers is fantastic and readily updated. And the media tracking has been so helpful in sharing with our staff, board of directors, and donors how our organization is covered.

What do you dislike?

Because our organization's name is so close to another's, we sometimes get irrelevant hits that I'm not able to delete from the weekly report myself. The hits are unavoidable, but I'd like to be able to delete them from the list with out asking for help each time to ensure our weekly report is correct.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Being a nonprofit, we don't have a lot of money to spend on software for media tracking or influencer lists. I believe this was a great use of our administrative funds as we work to share the mission of our organization. I use this product every day. The staff is easy to work with and so friendly.

We are showing our staff, board of directors, and donors the reach of the organization. Meltwater has been incredibly helpful in finding media coverage for grant reports as well.

Meltwater review by User in Internet

"Great Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Responsive and friendly customer service. Always ready to answer questions and provide guidance on getting the most out of the platform. It's also nice that the team offers to come into the office since we are very close, having that in-person interaction has made the relationship with the team a lot stronger.

What do you dislike?

Wish there were more customization features available to remove articles in the news monitoring service, as well as the reporting.

Custom reports are great, but it would be even better if we could add our brand colors/guides in order to insert them right into a presentation for executives. Right now we run the reports and recreate a lot of the charts on our own so that they look a little nicer in our quarterly/monthly recaps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask a lot of questions and if you don't see a feature you want, let the team know. Over the past couple months, I've noticed that Meltwater is trying to move in the right direction and update product features to ensure that their platform is useful to PR professionals.

Able to back up our own claims and tracking with a third party platform to show exec the value of PR.

Specifically, we find sentiment to be one of the most useful analysis point for showing how our coverage is more influential than that of our competitors.

Meltwater review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Amazing. Our Meltwater rep is knowledge and helpful and truly is making Meltwater the best ROI"

What do you like best?

Personal, real life team helping you along the way. When we have questions Haley answers immediately, and gives us great feedback on how to better maximise our ROI on our next campaign. The Beats feature - helping us curate who to target and ensure its up to date is really helpful.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how some editors leave a company but I am first to respond as I get bouncebacks etc. I then have to relay this information to the Meltwater team in which they then take them off the list - but I have to create a new search to find the new editor at said title. Its a bit more work on my end as my list gets smaller, yet I have to be the one to go out and figure out who replaced or wait till Meltwater does after I tell them.

PR - helping us to ensure our pitches are going to the right people and getting maximum open rates and conversation around our pitch.

We realize that we are getting more inclusions, we can follow up on PR pitches on those who opened but didnt respond. Also tra