3.7 out of 5
Do you work for Meltwater?

Meltwater Reviews & Product Details

What is Meltwater?

The Meltwater media intelligence platform is used daily by over 25,000 organizations in over 120 countries. With 55 offices in 27 countries, we are the global leader in media intelligence. Our clients can monitor media coverage across both news and social media. We track over 275,000 online news sources, and have partnerships for print and broadcast monitoring. Social media listening covers Twitter, Facebook (incl. Topic Data), Instagram, YouTube, comments, review sites, forums, message boards, and over 300 million blogs. We help our clients analyze media coverage with ease, with both qualitative and quantitative metrics. Our ever expanding widget library allows clients to seamlessly create dashboards to help visualize media coverage and report on the ROI of their public relations efforts. Everything is interactive and exportable, to give the context behind the numbers. We understand that PR professionals need to distribute media coverage, so we have different options! Clients can send customized newsletters to their stakeholders, and they can stream selected content to a website, intranet, or Slack channel. We also give clients options for press release distribution, either directly through the platform, or via a newswire. Our clients also engage with both traditional journalists and social media influencers directly through our platform. We help identify the most relevant people to reach out to, and help begin that dialogue instantly on the channel that makes the most sense.

Meltwater Screenshots

Meltwater Profile Details

Meltwater Profile Details

Chinese, English, French, German, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
Meltwater

Meltwater Reviews

1-50 of 612 total Meltwater reviews

Meltwater Reviews

1-50 of 612 total Meltwater reviews
Meltwater review by Sofia S.
Social Media and Marketing Coordinator
Building Materials
Most Recent Meltwater Video Review

"I like how easy to use Meltwater is"

Meltwater review by Martha V.
Digital and Social Media Strategist
(10,001+ employees)

"Great for social listening and measurement"

What do you like best?

I like the Meltwater consistely finds conversations not found on other less robust listening tools. I also like that the reports are pretty customizable. One of the things that was a differentiator for this tool was the ability to change sentiment for conversations. As a hospital, terms like "sick" and "flu" can sometimes be part of a positive conversation. Lastly, their customer service is phenomenal.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that automatic reports are generated in the early morning of the date you have set. If you do the report ahead of time, it will capture information, such as social conversations, that you have not addressed or recategorized. I wish the reports would let you clearly define time frames and not include data outside of those parameters.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for boolean searches for social listening and measuring sentiment. Reporting can be improved. Dashboards are a great visual way to measure conversation. Captures conversations no other tool has for me.

Social listening, answering concerns and complaints, tracking sentiment, tracking conversations as related to specific terms.

Meltwater review by Tina V.
Senior Global Marketing Communications Manager
Printing

"Senior Global Marketing Communications Manager for a B2B technology company in CA"

What do you like best?

1) I like Meltwater's analytics, dashboard and reporting features. After you purchase your subscription, Meltwater sassigns you to a complimentary "Client Success Consultant" to help you learn how to use Meltwater. My consultant, Alyssa Watkins, helped me set up searches and build dashboards so I can measure my brands media mentions, potential reach, monthly ad value, and sentiment . We built them so I can measure the increase in Brand Awareness for my company and I can now report quantifiable metrics to my CEO and CFO to demonstrate the positive return on my marketing department's efforts and justifies our investment into 3 new EU PR consultants.

What do you dislike?

I wish the Premium Social Package would include and provide reporting features for LinkedIn's platform. My brand focuses heavily on the B2B sector so we do a lot of sponsored social campaigns on LinkedIn. It would also be great if you can add global social accounts like Xing (Germany's version of LinkedIn) and VK for Russia (their version of Facebook). I also oversee our global social media efforts so it would be nice to be able to add all your global social accounts as well. SocialPilot let's you add up to 100 social accounts but it's reporting features aren't great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

What I liked about Meltwater is that it comes with a complimentary training consultant that you can schedule 1:1 meetings with that will help you learn how to optimize the software based on what you're looking to do with it. There's no limit to how many sessions you get! I've met with my Client Success Manager 10 time already, and she's super helpful. Most SaaS companies make you pay extra for client support, so don't only look at the cost. Research what type of training and support package comes with each company in your consideration set.

1. Measure my teams PR Efforts and ROI

2. Brand Sentiment - We use Meltwater to track any negative comments or sentiment in the marketplace that involves our brand.

3. Increase outreach to influencers for Europe and Asia.

Meltwater review by Jennifer D.
Public Relations & Social Media Account Director
Public Relations and Communications

"Features do not work as marketed, poor customer service"

What do you like best?

There is nothing about this product I would recommend to a colleague.

What do you dislike?

Some features were appealing, but because the media lists and news monitoring features were incomplete and inaccurate, features such as reporting, analytics, and press release distribution became useless.

Incomplete and inaccurate media lists, which rendered the press release distribution function useless because we couldn't send a press release to the reporters or influencers we were trying to target.

News monitoring is not comprehensive and misses simple things Google can pick up (and there is not integration option with Google search)

Analytics function was rendered useless, since the media montioring did not pick up all media coverage of clients.

Product would go down and not function for hours at least once a week.

Poor customer service (Impossible to get a timely response from account managers and when they did respond, they were always looking into solutions, but rarely provided solutions)

No benefits realized with this software.

Meltwater review by Sheri G.
Marketing Coordinator

"Good Product"

What do you like best?

This was the first media monitoring platform that I have used, and it made jumping in to using it very simple. It sends a daily notification of the top mentions, which has been very useful in allowing me to identify news stories concerning my organization that I otherwise might not have known about.

What do you dislike?

Logging in to review further than the email provides has been difficult, but that could be because of the way that my login was set up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is worth trying it out. It's great having a second set of eyes on what is going on with your organization in the media, as it is impossible to always catch everything on your own.

Knowing about what is going on has allowed me to be more proactive and provided opportunities for further promoting positive stories. It has proved to be a very useful tool.

Meltwater review by Samantha  B.
Marketing Campaign Manager

"Great PR and Social media tracking"

What do you like best?

I like that this allows us to track multiple things in one place and the aesthetics of the site. It is pretty easy to navigate and I like that you are able to easily customize the specific dashboards based on specific needs. The account support that I have experienced has been great and our rep checks in to make sure that everything is going well in the program.

What do you dislike?

It isn't the most intuitive program to use and so it does take some training and adjusting to use it. I also noticed that when we had a press release sent out, they were not monitoring that specific service so it skewed our results a bit and had I not been working with a rep to set up our monitoring, I'm not sure I would have been able to figure it out myself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a helpful software if you have a lot of media buzz surrounding your business, as a startup I'm not sure that it is providing value to us quite yet as we aren't doing much PR at the moment.

Meltwater allows us to create multiple dashboards to review not only our media and PR presence, but also those of our competitors. This has helped us to get a more in depth look at the social reach of other similar companies in our industry. We are able to adjust our strategy based on this.

Meltwater review by Valorie C.
Public Relations Director
Public Relations and Communications

"Customer Service is the Key"

What do you like best?

I appreciate the customer service I receive from Meltwater. Any question I have is resolved within that day, and my issues are many times "user error" or simply me not knowing how to fully access the capabilities. Meltwater is a powerful tool, and I could not survive without it. My bosses are looking to me to be able to target a specific audience within a moment's notice. It also helps me with monitoring and reporting the coverage we receive.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes feel the platform has been so "easy" it is "hard." So, I have my team of students help me navigate it.

We are able to send out our news to very specific georgraphic areas. I also am able to find contacts of many high profile media people whenever I need to. This keeps my process moving on without slowing me down.

Meltwater review by Laura C.
Senior Marketing and Brand Strategist

"Excellent!"

What do you like best?

Meltwater has helped our organization to hone in on our outreach strategy and marketing efforts in a very organized manner. I love how responsive Meltwater's team has been in helping every department in our organization to utilize Meltwater to its highest capability.

What do you dislike?

Some of the UX is a little incomprehensive and you have to spend some time getting used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Meltwater is a necessary tool for any size company to properly build, track and maintain strategy in marketing, PR and development.

We're learning how to effectively outreach to our community and local media sources in order to better maintain a cohesive marketing strategy throughout the year; as our annual strategy often fluctuates depending on what particular program is in need of the most outreach.

Meltwater review by Mark C.
Senior Director of Communications
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great Product for Trade Associations"

What do you like best?

The interface is very easy. It provides a quick, easy to read snapshot of all of our activities and campaigns. In addition we can measure overall success of our communication efforts as well as specific initiatives and easy determine what is resonating and other areas where more focus needs to be given (or de-prioritized).

What do you dislike?

Log in to multiple platforms and sometimes the it is hard to find specific instructions for different items.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Figure out what your needs are first and your strategy. Then talk to a Meltwater representative and they can typically walk you through how exactly the system will meet your needs. For small and mid-size associations, Meltwater staff is a great resource for reports and/or research that goes beyond the online system and will save you a great deal of time and be able to make better reports to your executives and board.

It is easy to identify new reporters and key influencers without much work. Also, it is very easy to show the value of communications to the senior leadership team and the board. As a result, they have responded with a better understanding of the role of communications within the organization.

Meltwater review by Meredith L.
Director Of Communications
Hospitality

"Powerful product; exemplary support"

What do you like best?

Meltwater is an extremely powerful product, but it is set up in such a way that it feels simple and approachable. The customer support is out of this world. Working with Meltwater has allowed our organization to streamline and improve many of our p.r. and communications practices.

What do you dislike?

You have to enter your password every time you use the app. I know it seems simple, but it's enough of a barrier to enter that it keeps me from using the app as much as I would like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize your account manager. This tool is more powerful than you have time to realize and they can help shed light on the benefits

Crises prevention: we see our name in the news before anyone else sees it; social media simplification: we can monitor and engage with our seven channels in one simple platform; reporting: marketing/pr/social media can be obscure and Meltwater's tools help us translate the work we do to the stakeholders who care

Meltwater review by Matar G.
Communications Associate
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Amazing tool"

What do you like best?

I love that I can monitor social and media with one click of a button, create visual dashboards and set up reports that get sent to my leadership. I can easily look up an article during a crisis and determine its reach and social shares to determine if it is indeed something that needs full attention. I also really like the ability to follow certain users on social and get live alerts when they post content that relates to my industry, this makes it easy to catch things happening on social that I would otherwise miss. There have been many times where we have been able to get ahead of a bad tweet.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that there is a separate login portal for the engage tool and the monitoring tool, wish it was just one login.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try and compare it to your other monitoring efforts, I guarantee you will find it comprehensive and time-saving.

we are able to monitor the reach of our earned and generated media. We are also able to push out social content via the engage tool and tag our content so that we can pull metrics and report to our board of directors the messages that we actively pushed as they relate to our overall goals and objectives.

Meltwater review by Administrator

"This tool is essential for me to perform in my role keeping our company informed"

What do you like best?

I love that once i have my dashboard set up, i have the resources I need to get the daily information I need, right at my finger tips. I also like that I can set up auto alerts on new news items.

What do you dislike?

It takes time to refine your search parameters. It is a continual process. The crawlers will bring up stories and items that may not be related to your topic, product. Also sometimes important stories might be missed on certain websites. However, once you tell your support team that they were missed, they will figure out the issue and make sure you don't miss it next time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very good product!

We use Meltwater primarily for keeping up on industry news and what our competitors are doing. The Meltwater platform really has been key in allowing us to do this in a streamlined manner. I have used another platform and before that, created my own process of monitoring news. Meltwater is by far the best tool I have found.

Meltwater review by Devon M.
Director of Marketing
Government Relations

"More Value in Journalist Database than the Brand Tracking "

What do you like best?

Meltwater's journalist database (aka Influencers) makes it quick and easy to find and send content to relevant writers that may be interested in your material. You can search for journalists by topics they've written about or their beat and easily add them into categorized lists. You can personalize and send a message in a matter of minutes.

What do you dislike?

In my experience, Mention does a better job at capturing a full picture of brand mentions than Meltwater. Meltwater misses a lot of important finds that I get through Mention, and also sends me low quality mentions that Mention doesn't.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I urge you to use both Meltwater and Mention at the same time for your first year to compare and see if you want to renew your contract. Also read the cancellation policy carefully; when reading reviews I learned that their cancellation policy is non-transparent and requires a 60 day notice.

We use Meltwater to track mentions of our brand as well as reach submit content to media for potential republishing. Meltwater helps us to promote and track ourselves as industry thought leaders. It also allows us to see the efficiency of our press releases by tracking coverage after publishing.

Meltwater review by Darren R.
Sr. Director of Marketing and Communications
Higher Education

"Amazing customer service"

What do you like best?

The Meltwater tools are powerful, but it is their customer service that stands out for me. I've never had a more attentive, proactive and involved software / solutions partner. This is my first social media/news monitoring platform so I don't have anything to compare Meltwater with, but it meets our current needs.

What do you dislike?

I only wish I had more time and budget to invest in more of their products. The sales team is driven, ie: pushy and persistent, however, I'm glad they were as I was reluctant to buy, but now I am thrilled with the decision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Price is extremely negotiable. Like buying a new car, don't pay the sticker price. The price drops when you "walk away" and at quarter/yearend as they try to make their sales quotas.

Using Meltwater we've been able to bring our entire public relations efforts in-house and no longer contract out media monitoring or outreach services.

Meltwater review by Matthew C.
Director of Policy & Research - Lobbyist

"Meltwater Review"

What do you like best?

The hands on help from Meltwater team navigating the system and helping make changes when needed. The quality of the news stories delivered helps me in my daily tasks sending out news alerts or breaking stories pertaining to our industry.

What do you dislike?

Only thing I dislike is the availability and access to subscription based websites. Sometimes I miss things or stories due to that, but that is to be expected. Can't get them all I suppose. I believe there is an option to get around that, but of course it costs a little bit more money.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly effective in day to day news monitoring system. If you want to save time collecting news stories for distribution or review, Meltwater is an incredible tool and asset to have. Use the help they offer from their support staff, they make things very simple for you!

Meltwater helps me manage and save much needed time. By compiling daily news stories for me pertaining to the industry, I don't have to spend hours searching through google to find everything I need. Again, this is a well managed machine that saves me a lot of time.

Meltwater review by User

"Horrible Way to Conduct Business - BEWARE of shady business practices "

What do you like best?

The media outreach service itself is actually very helpful, however, I don't know if it is worth the negotiated price point of $7,000.

What do you dislike?

The business practice. I was a meltwater customer for a year, and when it came time to talk about my autorenewal for my contract, I asked to not be charged so we could discuss options. I was told that my autorenewal was put on hold by a rep in Miami and even called her supervisor and I was told the same thing. When it came time for me to decide to move forward our company chose to pursue other options as the price point was not in our budget at that time. I was then told that my contract had an auto-renew clause hidden in the terms and conditions and because I did not provide a written cancelation 60 days prior to the date of the autorenewal, even though I was told that they would push this. When I tried to speak to my sales rep and her boss (located in Miami) I was told that they weren't going to lose their jobs to try to fix this for me and I was forced into signing a contract in order to get additional services. If I did not sign the contract, I would be left with minimal services that I was forced into.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Beware of shady sales practices.

I was searching for a social monitoring and online listening platform. I also want a social scheduling tool, but Meltwater does not provide this.

Meltwater review by Courtney G.
Communications
Public Relations and Communications

"Stay far away if you're looking for reliable broadcast monitoring "

What do you like best?

The social media monitoring and online news monitoring work well.

What do you dislike?

The broadcast monitoring does not pick up the majority of alerts even when they include the keywords. In addition, when alerts are picked up, the interviews are 99% of the time incomplete and it could take days for the account rep to find the rest of the clip, which when working in a time sensitive industry is completely unacceptable. I require timely transcripts and clips, and I do not receive that from Meltwater.

I was advertised a product that could replace my current media monitoring, yet Meltwater is so incredibly unreliable that I have not been able to cancel my other service. I am therefore paying for two services due to false advertising from Meltwater. Once they have your money, they do not care about providing good customer service. I have been trying to find a solution with the company for over a month before writing this review.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use this service if you require timely and reliable broadcast media monitoring.

The social media monitoring and online news monitoring are helpful, but not worth anywhere close the amount I paid for full service media monitoring.

Meltwater review by Jacob H.
Bay Area Sports Reporter
Newspapers

"Meltwater allows for tracking data easily"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and the ability to see what pr strategies are working effectively by monitoring their reach and interaction. I think that by using it and tracking data, we can see what works and what doesn't on a much more consistent basis. Before using Meltwater, we could sometimes misplace our time working on projects that didn't penetrate our market the way we wanted to. Now, we can see what our audience reacts to and what they don't, and more importantly, how we achieve prime acquisition rates that turn views and interaction into profits on a consistent, reliable basis.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the interface isn't as streamlined as I would hope it to be, but in general, it's not an issue. IT can be difficult to do deep-dives into data and work your way around the nitty-gritty portions of acquisition information, but I've found that's the same for most softwares.

Meltwater has allowed me to see where I am getting the most traction on my campaigns and allows me and coworkers to put our effort towards projects that have a higher rate of success.

Meltwater review by Molly G.
Digital Marketing

"An Easy-to-Use PR Tool"

What do you like best?

Collection place for all of the press and social mentions of our company.

Amazing customer service; my rep is always there whenever I need help solving something.

Compact reports that can be easily modified and sent out from the platform.

What do you dislike?

A steep learning curve when getting started on the platform with how to use all of the tools and charts. I suppose the steepest part of the curve is when you are trying to make things more custom than the out-of-the-box version of the charts.

Sentiment analysis, press coverage tracking. We've seen that Meltwater have been able to help us with both of these problems.

Meltwater review by Sara Jane C.
Communication Coordinator
Philanthropy

"No longer spinning my wheels"

What do you like best?

I'm a one-woman shop in my small non-profit and I was spinning my wheels every time I attempted to get media coverage. My excel spreadsheets were always out of date, my press releases took hours to send individually to journalists or were ignored if sent en masse. After just one month of using the Meltwater platform, I've already had coverage by three media outlets! It's so simple to send personalized releases or pitches without spending hours on emails and it's so simple to reach the right people the first time.

What do you dislike?

So far, nothing. I'm only about a month into using the platform and have been really happy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent customer service and support! Flexible pricing packages - especially for smaller non-profits and especially compared to their competitors.

Our small non-profit is finally getting media coverage and I'm saving literally hours of my time. I also found several pieces of news coverage through the searches that I wouldn't have previously found via Google alert.

Meltwater review by Brianna Z.
Marketing Coordinator
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Meltwater is a great resource for gathering and organizing information for my company."

What do you like best?

There are many reports that assist with my monthly social recap. I also love that Meltwater picks up on every mention across social platforms.

What do you dislike?

There are so many features that are a little out of my budget working at a nonprofit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Meltwater is an all inclusive system that offers so much more than just social and media monitoring. You can monitor, record and measure social endeavors. You also have the ability to pitch, contact and gather all media information you are mentioned in via TV, print and digital.

One of our main issues to finding out what people were saying about us. Many times, people do not tag or even correctly spell our names on social channels and in the media. Meltwater has helped us find all of these mentions and act on them when needed.

Meltwater review by Jenn T.

"Must-have tool for any marketer"

What do you like best?

The tool is very intuitive, and you're ready to start using it immediately, even before training. I'm able to create reports easily as well.

In Engage, I love the social calendar, where I am able to see all my profiles in one go, as well as the ability to duplicate any posts quickly and easily. Another favourite is being able to schedule a post multiple times in a single go.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more configurations available in the charts (as well as formatting legends, titles, colours, etc).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is easy to use and makes your life easier!

Automation is key! The ability to monitor all pages (which are managed by other team members) is really helpful. Also the ability to task others with particular posts is great.

Meltwater review by Kristi H.
Digital Media / Marketing Administrator
Wholesale

"Aggressive staff and spam."

What do you like best?

I honestly couldn't tell you because there isn't anything that I like best.

What do you dislike?

I very much so dislike their aggressive sales tactics, their inability to take a firm "no" for an answer, their complete disregard for our time, and their practice of adding people to their mailing lists without actually getting permission to do so. In my experience, Meltwater is nothing more than an aggregator for their own spam.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look elsewhere. When a company lacks integrity, do you really want them involved in your data?

None, absolutely none. I wouldn't ever use their service based on multiple experiences with their sales staff and their complete lack of integrity. To be clear, I do not use Meltwater but that's not an option in this review form. I can say that the complimentary reports that they sent us seemed convoluted and painful on the eyes.

Meltwater review by User

"Deceptive auto-renewal technique"

What do you like best?

The interface of Meltwater is very user-friendly and their Dashboard is helpful.

What do you dislike?

Deceptive auto-renewal clause in their contract which was never communicated by the company nor the Sales Rep who actually throughout the first year of the contract tried to renew our subscription on multiple occasions, indicating that they need our permission to extend the length of the contract.

Very poor Customer service that is focused only on the gains for the company. Appalling e-mail contact.

The search feed received is way over the top and doesn't always correspond to set up the search. This is in order to boost the number of results so the end Customer has the feeling of good investment. In the end, your reporting will take much longer as you have to go through a lot of noise news which normally wouldn't appear in there in the first place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DO NOT TRUST MELTWATER

I only realised how disgusting their business model is and how important is to not trust Meltwater.

Meltwater review by Tasia Casandra B.
Communications Assistant

"User-Friendly"

What do you like best?

It helps us create media scans easily and quickly. It also helps us distribute it in eye-pleasing way with links and quick one click options. We can easily keep lists of reporters based on certain topics or campaigns which is really useful when you want to pitch a story.

What do you dislike?

Their customer service has been slower than we would like, especially considering we are paying for their top package.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great service that I think you will be happy with. It is much more modern and user-friendly than other antiquated systems out there. It is pricey however, it was not much of a money saver compared to another larger service we were using previously.

We used to cut and paste a daily email with the headlines each dead. It was tedious and boring for both the communications team that had to put it together, and the readers. We would have to use a couple of services to gather all the headlines and then create an email in Outlook. Now we send out a media scan easily as Meltwater pulls all the items we want in one place and then allows us to create the email and send it all in their platform.

We also use it to send out media releases. It helps us curate a list of reporters who write about particular topics and send them releases or tips quickly and efficiently. Before we had to go through a list manually and try to figure out which reporters may be interested in a particular story and it was hit or miss.

Meltwater review by Logan S.
Public Relations and Community Manager
Medical Practice

"Contacts, Newsletter are Very Useful"

What do you like best?

We are an almost two year user of Meltwater for our large orthopedic group. I primarily use it for media contacts and media tracking. It is a great resource for media contacts especially narrowed down by beat and appears to be very updated. It also provides social media handles and information for those people which is super useful.

Also think the social media monitoring platform is top notch - we can't monitor Facebook and Instagram on other platforms like we do with Meltwater.

We use the Newsletter feature to report media clips to our internal managers, which I mentioned more below.

What do you dislike?

I still don't understand sending press releases from Meltwater. I tend to export the emails and send them myself. That wasn't really ever clear.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you value Facebook and Instagram monitoring go with Meltwater as they have that and others do not.

I needed a better way to distribute monthly media clips about our business to our C suite and managers. The newsletter feature enables me to do this. I select the clips I want and it puts them in a nice, easy to read email branded with our logo and sends it straight from the platform but it looks like it came from my email.

Meltwater review by Samantha R.
Manager of Communications & Partnerships
Research

"Very powerful, but rather expensive"

What do you like best?

I love being able to access all of the times our organization has been mentioned in the news (or on social media) and generate a report for funding/reporting purposes.

What do you dislike?

Alas, software like this comes with a price. I wish it were slightly cheaper, though they do offer tiered packages based on what you can pay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This has been an incredible timesaver for me as a communications manager, especially when it comes to quarterly reporting to our board and publishing our annual report. Just be sure you know what you need from a service like this so that you don't waste your money.

We needed a way to track our media hits (and other analytics associated with those hits). This service does a great job at tracking a variety of keywords that you select, and maintaining a database of the places where the keywords appear in the news. We also use Meltwater to identify appropriate reporters who may be interested in our occasional press releases.

Meltwater review by Jonathan H.
Marketing Manager

"Great product with flexibility, kept from a perfect 10 by account restrictions"

What do you like best?

The product itself is excellent and it scrapes everything out there like a pro. Looking for your brand to mentioned anywhere? You're in good shape.

What do you dislike?

Regional account restrictions really put a damper on our ability to use it org-wide. As a global company, being able to SEE international stuff but not grant access to our employees outside of the US without paying a CONSIDERABLE additional sum was a big disappointment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for a team of any size, but seats are expensive!

Being proactive about industry outreach and mentions, as well as creating summaries of marketing activity.

Meltwater review by Janet V.
CEO
Internet

"Meltwater deceptive business practices"

What do you like best?

Didn't find the solution particularly easy to use

What do you dislike?

Meltwater has a 60 day auto-renewal that they do not include in your order confirmation but bury in online terms of service (which are normally reserved for things like don't post hate content or abuse user accounts, not the business/financial terms of your contract). Their sales reps do not notify you of this, and in fact send you emails about whether you're planning to renew that imply otherwise. Once you are one day past the 60 days, they hold on like grim death and force you into an auto-renewal regardless of whether you want to continue the service or not. Companies with good products don't have to rely on fine print to force people to do business with them; the Meltwater products are not good enough to justify the hassle of their business practices. If you do decide to buy from them, pay by check so they don't have access to your credit card information in case they decide you owe them money whether you agree or not.

None

Meltwater review by User in Higher Education

"Meltwater allows our University to keep up to date on Alums"

What do you like best?

I love that Meltwater gives me the opportunity to get daily digests of articles that use our University name. This allows me to keep up to date on what our Alums are doing. We use Meltwater in conjunction with Team Support. Team Support compiles a daily digest with all articles using Drew University. We go through the articles and add them to the Alums record in our database.

What do you dislike?

I dislike looking through all of the articles. They are not all pertinent to our University or pertinent to our Alums. With this, sometimes an individual does not write where they graduated from and we miss the article as well. Unfortunately, there is nothing Meltwater can do to fix this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use and can be tailored to fit your business' needs.

With Meltwater, I do not typically lose information about Alums as long as the article mentions that the individual graduated from our institution. This is great to add information to our Alums profiles which is used to solicit them for gifts. It gives our Community information about the individual.

Meltwater review by Libby C.
Communication Specialist
Entertainment
(10,001+ employees)

"Helpful but TERRIBLE customer service"

What do you like best?

I like that you can have the program monitor for specific topics and it will alert you when new ones come up that may be of interest to you. It definitely helps you find points of conversation that you wouldn't otherwise be able to find through a traditional media search. I do believe it has some of the best technology for media monitoring.

What do you dislike?

HORRIBLE customer service. Before I purchased Meltwater, I was receiving multiple calls PER DAY to buy their product. It almost made me not want to purchase the software, but I'd heard from other business professionals that it was worth the money and that they too had experienced multiple calls and bad customer service until they bought in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time and use the demos they provide to you. If you really want to see how this product is going to help your organization, you can also ask them to do a live demo with you and to show you search terms you are interested in. Meltwater's customer service is severely lacking, but the product works well.

I was able to solve the issue of knowing what types of coverage our organization was receiving.

Meltwater review by Becca S.
Marketing Director
Mental Health Care

"Essentially Google Alerts on Steriods"

What do you like best?

I love the robustness of the Meltwater platform. I can create all different types of queries to track different types of media mentions.

I also love that it sends me daily emails with a list of all our media mentions that I can customize myself.

What do you dislike?

Due to the robustness of the platform, there’s a slight learning curve for employees who have to learn how to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We’ve been happy with it since using it for 2 years. We have a great account manager who is very attentive to our needs and keeps us up to date with all the newest updates with Meltwater.

Meltwater is helping us organize and track all of our media mentions. Before we would rely on Google to track everything, and there were definitely pieces that slipped through the cracks. A benefit of Meltwater is that it’s helped us build partnerships with other businesses by seeing who is talking about our company already.

Meltwater review by Navin R.
Account Associate
Public Relations and Communications

"Senior Account Executive at MissionCTRL Communications, a boutique, cleantech communications firm."

What do you like best?

While I have used a number of media tracking and media database software platforms (Cision, TrendKite to name a few), Meltwater by far offers the best experience out of all of them. The best thing, to start, is the UI. It is clean and intuitive, and, unlike CisionPoint, does not look like it was designed in 1995. The colors are calming, and the formatting for charts makes complete sense. Furthermore, I appreciate that the platform is constantly evolving. I've used it for nearly two years, now, and in that time, new features that I've both requested, and didn't know I wanted, have been added that have improved the platform. Things like more editable newsletters and the ability to add content really set Meltwater apart. It also has a far easier to use influencer list -- the google-like feature of being able to search for reporters by keyword is a game-changer. It also lets you be very specific. For instance, a client asked for reporters who cover the 'wood and paper' beat in Helsinki. Normally this would be difficult to find, but Meltwater made it easy to narrow down. Meltwater really understands how the industry works. Oh, also the Meltwater team is super helpful and answers questions immediately.

What do you dislike?

For all of its benefits, Meltwater is still quite slow. Pages can take some time to load, and there have been instances when the program has glitched and not saved a search or a newsletter. Also, adding content into the newsletters is still a bit clunky, with the content section not loading when you add or remove searches. The biggest pain point, though, is the articles it tracks. Major publications like the WSJ or Times are not included, while very very small -- even just publications that repost press releases -- get tracked. I wish there was some sort of way for Meltwater to recognize the types of articles (maybe through machine learning, but I'm also not a comp sci person so I'm talking out of my ass) that I track and start removing the ones I never use. Also, need to find a better way to filter out press releases and earnings calls.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say, go with Meltwater if you have many people working on projects at the same time. Meltwater has aspects where everyone shares the searches and dashboards, but it allows for different people to do their work at the same time.

A big benefit of Meltwater has been in reporting. We are now able to show how our clients are doing -- using Share of Voice -- compared to their competitors, and this helps us recognize where we can do more. Being able to compare where a client's SoV was months ago compared to now helps us set targets and goals, but also validate our work.

We also look more professional when we send newsletters in Meltwater's modern, clean-looking format. Compared to other firms, who often just send article links via email, our media roundups look very professional.

Meltwater review by Michella C.
Jefa de la Oficina de Distribución de Contenidos

"Monitoreo en todo momento "

What do you like best?

El sistema lo utilizamos hace varios años, si bien nos sirve de complemento con un servicio local que contratamos, en los últimos años no ha servido muchísimo con el monitoreo de redes que nos permite tener respuestas rápidas sobre problemas en tiempo real. También nos sirve mucho la aplicación móvil ya que recibo las alertas en mi celular, especialmente cuando son comentarios negativos sobre temas específicos, esto nos ayuda a realizar una pronta respuesta con información en nuestros medios institucionales. Es importante realizar el monitoreo de medios a nivel internacional para conocer cuales son las barreras de nuestros contenidos.

What do you dislike?

Todavía existen dificultades con el servidor de la aplicación móvil, los contenidos a veces no cargan. También hemos tenido problemas con las claves que no las reconocen tanto en la web como en la aplicación móvil, cosa que nos hacen perder el tiempo cuando necesitamos acceder a la información con rapidez. Otras veces hemos tenido problemas por que nos ha salido información de otras universidades que tienen nombre similar al nuestro.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Especialmente en sus herramientas de monitoreo de Redes, son muy útiles y podemos segmentar a solo los vinculados a la marca.

Este año ha sido muy importante para nosotros, especialmente el monitoreo de redes. A través de redes pudimos evitar un problema en el campus, que resulto por la restricción de agua que hubo durante los meses de marzo y abril, por un fenómeno climático, que afecto a todo el Perú. Gracias al monitoreo pudimos conocer y ver las dificultades que se presentaron el fin de semana en el campus con relación al uso del agua, lo que permitió que se tomaran acciones de respuesta. Luego pudimos conocer y establecer una línea de tiempo de sucesos vinculados con política que la universidad aprobó recientemente, esto también nos permitió poner información pertinente en nuestros medios institucionales.

Meltwater review by Tara O.
Copywriter and Corporate Communications Specialist
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Solid platform, excellent customer service"

What do you like best?

The customer service! My rep and the other Meltwater team members I've worked with are highly knowledgable and helpful. They bring great ideas to the table and share what they've seen work with other clients while maintaining client anonymity. It's been a very positive professional experience.

What do you dislike?

Filtering out search clutter is very manual. There is a Boolean query builder, but it's a little clunky in my experience. If you know how to build Boolean queries, it's not too bad, but if you're new to it, it can be a challenge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Meltwater is a great, affordable solution for those looking for media monitoring or influencer database access.

Meltwater has been a great tool for our organization to use to measure media mentions and sentiment. It helps us pick up on small, local publications and outlets that may otherwise fly under the radar. We've also been able to more easily communicate our industry-specific news to very targeted audiences of influencers.

Meltwater review by Administrator

"Not updated, not super useful"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that they can quickly give you any reporter's email address and you can search by beats, by media (radio/print/tv, etc), and you can search by location. that is extremely helpful. i also appreciate that you can keep databases so for example, if i quickly need to send an email to reporters in houston, i have a stack of contacts that i know are reliable.

What do you dislike?

so often the contact information is completely wrong or the person doesn't even work at that station anymore. because of that, I usually have to spend over an hour looking thru the database for each city, unclicking and clicking the reporter's names that are applicable. And what I also hate is that when i click "select all" on the database list-it doesn't click all, not unless you scroll to the bottom of the list!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would first look at other products to see how expensive they are and how up to date their media database is. For thousands of dollars, you should know that the time that you're putting into the product is worth it and will deliver results. Also, their wire service is complete garbage-it does not reach any more people than simply sending out a press release. And their sales staff can be very pushy-like please don't call me-just send me an email!

I am solving the "problem" of media pitching. Without meltwater, it wouldn't be nearly as successful. I think that we'd be able to find reporters but it would take so much more time and potentially we couldn't reach out personally.

Meltwater review by Administrator in Education Management

"Product knowledge and support is great, platforms are easily navigated, very satisfied customer"

What do you like best?

Rep and Help Desk responds incredibly fast, usually resolves issues within minutes. Platforms are easily navigated. I use the News inbox and newsletter most frequently and I am so grateful that my work saves if I need to go to a different tab. The mobile app is also a great convenience. I can tag articles while out & about and compile a newsletter much quicker when I'm back at the office.

What do you dislike?

The platform is a little bit more simplified than I'd like, but still workable. I would appreciate a more robust interface for the emails to Influencer Lists. In particular, I'd like to be able to save templates for the different types of news releases I issue, and also be able to save hosted graphics within the platform.

Inbox can only display results from one Agent at a time. Would cut down on duplicates and speed up the process for me if I could select multiple Agents to display at one time.

Can't set up an Agent that is specifically searching only Top Tier sources or a combination of sources. The ability to select some specific types of sources has been removed from the interface (e.g., Top Tier).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Quality, proven products. Responsive support that gives resolution to problems. Company takes customer suggestions to the builders and frequently (quarterly) upgrades their platform in response to that feedback.

The mobile app has made it less time-consuming to compile and send the daily newsletter to staff.

We were directed by management to set up special tracking and dashboards to monitor our officers and spokespersons in the news and social media, with the ability to send automated daily newsletters to their staff, which is now available using Meltwater.

The ability to create an Agent using either keywords or Boolean makes it possible for more staff to set up an Agent who do not necessarily have knowledge of Boolean.