Mendeley

Mendeley is a desktop and web program for managing and sharing research papers, discovering research data and collaborating online.

Work for Mendeley?

Learning about Mendeley?

Mendeley Reviews

Showing 125 Mendeley reviews
Mendeley review by Bashir I.
Bashir I.

"Good tools for referencing and collaboration"

What do you like best?

I like the collaboration features. I was at a Mendeley User Discovery session with limited or no knowledge about the collaboration features. Therefore when I came back I had to check it out. Most importantly I like the pluggings it has for easy citation. Additionally, I like the drag and drop feature for the desktop app.

The ability to toggle between referencing styles is also a feature I like because it saves you the trouble of having to do that manually if you submitting or writing to a different audience/journal.

What do you dislike?

It sometimes lags on the MS word plugging. I sometimes want a quick look at my word count, but it covers the place.

It sometimes reads the wrong information from the PDF exported.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will be good if it had a way of correcting references based on the imported file. It is of course not that easy because the same article might be from different sources. This doesn't mean it's impossible

I use it mainly for my research work. However, due to more functionality it is providing, I also use it for personal writing. It helps me manage my source of information, which is always helpful for the general audience.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Mendeley
Mendeley review by Bin C.
Bin C.

"Wonderful tool for managing references"

What do you like best?

Mendeley always helps users keep references organized. It can match all the details of each paper/article when importing them into Mendeley. If the auto-matched details are not corrected, it allows users to edit them easily. Currently, Mendeley is free to all of the users and so it does not cost anything for college students to prepare and manage paper citation. It can also be integrated with Word which makes it more attractive for people who are heavily writing/preparing technical reports.

What do you dislike?

The add-on option in MS Word works slow and sometimes does not sync my library. I have to close the document and reopen it to refresh the citation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unlike other web-based reference manage tools, it allows users to manage references to securely access Mendeley on any computer through the desktop client, web browser, or mobile app. Self-defined libraries are always backed up in the cloud and available to users.

Use it frequently to manage references when preparing research papers or project reports. It helps organize and format citations very well.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

Mendeley review by Juan Felipe P.
Juan Felipe P.

"An excellent way of organizing your papers"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is a very reliable tool that allows using a cloud service to synchronize scientific documents to be read, highlited, and commented and all changes are updated on all devices. I also like the integration with MS Word to cite that work. The citation style and tag tool really helps to have a clear organization of the files. Another useful tool is the file suggestion or paper suggestion using their community. for example, when I find a paper about renewable energy, Mendeley suggests me authors and scientific documents related on that area.

What do you dislike?

I do not find attractive the speed of synchronization of Mendeley. There are some moments when I insert a new document that is watched in some folder and it does not get synchronyzed. I think that there may be also better ways to integrate and organize the files. also, it will be great to edit the document.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would like to have another tools to be capable of reading more smothly. I think that Mendeley is doing great but I feel like something is missing about file managing.

Mendeley allows me to organize tons of scientific documents and cite them. It helped me writing research proposals and reading scientific documents.

Mendeley review by Morgan H.
Morgan H.

"Great for Beginners; Lacks Higher Functions"

What do you like best?

It was very easy to set up, and intuitive to use. I also appreciated how easy it was to convert all my previous articles from another program (EndNote) into Mendeley. Also, you can't beat the fact that it's free, and doesn't expire and leave you without your research.

What do you dislike?

Mendeley doesn't have all the higher functions that some of the nicer programs you have to pay for include, but I guess you can't have everything with a free program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use, very intuitive, and easy to set up. Great starter program, and has most everything you'll need.

Cost-effective, obviously. For starting researchers it is very easy to get them on and set up, and then they have a program they can use for the rest of their lives if they need to, or they can upgrade later if they find they need more bells and whistles.

Mendeley review by Kelly T.
Kelly T.

"Organize literature references with Mendeley"

What do you like best?

The software is free. I can organize articles into folders. I love the search engine with which I can look up articles based on phrases that I remember. I like that I am able to highlight and take notes using the software.

What do you dislike?

I know that there is a limit to the free storage. I wish I could see how close I am to that limit so I can monitor my use. The "import" option for web browsers can be improved. I have a lot of trouble importing PDFs that way. I also wish that the article won't be marked as "read" unless I do it manually. Sometimes I open the document but have not finished reading.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good software to use if you have never considered organizing your reference articles. Citations can be made in Microsoft word using Mendeley too.

In science, we have to write grants and papers all the time. It is very difficult to keep track of all the references. Mendeley makes it easy to keep track of references for each project.

Mendeley review by Jumana H.
Jumana H.

"A Time efficient software for organizing many citations"

What do you like best?

When I was working on my thesis, I really needed a FREE software to help me in citation and due to narrow time frame I had, I needed an easy software without the need to learn something new. So, I found Mendely! it it fulfilled all my requirements. Easy to use, has 500 MB cloud storage, citations can be extracted from any PDF which is awesome!.

Also, using a plugin which can be integrated with Microsoft Word and we can choose any bibliography style. All citations can be saved and synced to your account, so I don't have to worry if I lose any resource.

What do you dislike?

Well I had some issue while using it which is a time consuming sometimes, data extraction from any PDF is not that precise, beside sometimes it gives you mismatching information which I think it needs improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really recommend Menedely to whom are suffering in organizing their citations, especially the masters & PHD students.

We can share an important papers and articles provided with notes and my colleagues can access them and add more into the library.

Mendeley review by Sarah D.
Sarah D.

"A fantastic way to organize citations"

What do you like best?

I like being able to keep my citations up-to-date as I am writing a paper without needing to spend a whole lot of time doing so. I appreciate that I can put my references into the library quickly from wherever I am accessing them from and also that there is a plug-in for Microsoft Word so that all the work I put into storing the citations is accessible.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes sharing references with others is a bit confusing. I am never sure if I can share a folder to a group, or if I need to create a group that has access to the references.

Also -- and this isn't Mendeley's fault, per se, but it's important to be aware of -- sometimes the automatic formatting of the citations isn't quite perfect (e.g., sometimes authors' last names get inputted in all capitals, etc.) so it's not quite a "set it and forget it" system.

In addition, sometimes the authors have multiple listings, for example; "Smith, J" and "Smith, J." are separate author listings, even though it is the same author. It would be nice if we could batch merge these more easily.

I like to share references with my collaborators through Mendeley. I also really appreciate having the

Mendeley review by Kirby K.
Kirby K.

"Reliable, free substitute for EndNote"

What do you like best?

I really love how high quality the program is despite it being free. I don't see myself ever paying for EndNote when Mendeley is such a solid option. There are very, very few things that Mendeley lacks in comparison with EndNote.

What do you dislike?

If I absolutely had to choose something, it would be that you have to install a plugin into MS word to cite your sources, and in EndNote, you don't. But really this isn't much of something to dislike because it's really, really quick to install the plugin.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommend, especially if spending money on EndNote seems like something that's difficult for you to do. Mendeley, in nearly all respects, is just as good as EndNote.

Sharing papers in groups is really easy, and as a biologist, it allows me to stay organized with all of my PDFs in a way that I really struggled with before. My lab at DePaul University uses Mendeley to share papers and also share ideas, as you can take notes on the papers in Mendeley, as well.

Mendeley review by Kelsey S.
Kelsey S.

"The best option out there for academic pdf organization (but could use an upgrade for tablets) "

What do you like best?

Mendeley is great because it allows you to organize your pdfs within the app and will auto import any newly downloaded pdfs from the folders you designate. It's also great to have things sync across devices so what I'm reading and my notes are always with me regardless of which device I'm using.

What do you dislike?

This app has so much potential for integration with tablets but falls short. It would be wonderful to get integration with the Apple Pencil so you can take notes directly on articles. The desktop app is also sometimes a bit buggy for Macs in terms of syncing (I can't speak to the PC side of things).

Mendeley helps me organize what I have and haven't read, and easily find articles when I need them for my own reading or to share with colleagues.

Mendeley review by Adithyaa J.
Adithyaa J.

"Reference manager for simplified file management"

What do you like best?

The feed and connected database that can monitor and find stats on your articles is the nest thing that i like in mendeley. The software which comes with mendeley is free for limited storage of documents which are on the cloud and thus can be accessed from anywhere using any system. The mendeley also has the ability to share the article wit multiple users and also have separate storage space for the same.

What do you dislike?

only one thing that i dislike about mendeley is the sometime slower performance of word plug in that will have to play a important when you are looking for bibliographical service by mendeley. other than this mendeley does not have any dislikes and everything works at its best make this only a slight con which has been overcome by its vast pro's in helping you

Recommendations to others considering the product

the greatest recommendation that i can give for mendeley is the integrated file reader with connected annotation and comments. More than this mendeley is a free software for limited use. so give it a try

sharing of documents and the collaborated editing of bibliographical data has been a great challenge that has been addressed by mendeley and this will prove to save great amount of time in organizing the files with your system and colleague.

Mendeley review by Karthikeyan B.
Karthikeyan B.

"Easy Reference managing"

What do you like best?

Best thing about mendeley is the built in PDF reader with notes and highlight view in dashboard. The citation manager plugin with word is always in sync and you can search and pull a paper by author name, paper title or even with the keywords.

What do you dislike?

there is nothing that is bad about mendeley.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mendeley is a free software with limited storage, so feel free to try it before buying, I am sure you will like it. The mendeley citation manager plugin with word will help you in managing and composing bibliography with ease.

organizing and searching the relevant document easily. editing bibliography with connected and networked authors are made easy. citomatic plugin available with mendeley will help in cross linking the article that you write with the citation database and pulling up the required citation in very simple. the numbering of citation are corrected by the mendeley plugin itself. The web plugin with mendeley help you to save the citation and the source article directly from the web, hence you will never miss an article in your citation.

Mendeley review by Shaorong Y.
Shaorong Y.

"Mendeley"

What do you like best?

I like how it is very easy to insert citation and reference list into word (I guess it is probably less useful for latex users? But I think it can be used to generate bibtex file?). I like how it is both a reference storage place and can at the same time store the pdfs (although I sometimes hate it, see below). The search function is fairly good. I like how one can separate files/refs under different folders.

What do you dislike?

In most cases, one can easily find the correct document info (especially when there is a doi), but sometimes it gives back weird errors (especially for some old papers). Also, there is somewhat lack of flexibility when dealing with unpublished work or posters. Also, the tag system is kind of nice (although I actually rarely use it...), but it is case sensitive and as one that is not consistently organized, sometimes I fail to keep track of what exact wording I used a few years back and then I need to change all the new/old tags. I wish they could use do something like tag consolidation. Also, the merge duplicated document function is very confusing... I have no idea how it works and don't dare to use it, resulting in a lot of redundant files. While I love the pdf storage function, but the space is limited (unless you pay a price) so I tend to keep hard copy on my own hard drive, it is kind of then a waste of space and I'm storing multiple duplicates. Oh, and their inline citation format is not very flexible... One needs to irritate the program repetitively to get it to work as one wishes.

I remember the times when I used to generate references by hand... good times. But with mendeley, more often than not things work and I only need to make minimal changes.

Mendeley review by Leo B.
Leo B.

"Awesome Free Reference Software"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is free, super easy to use, integrates within Word and internet browsers and highly accurate. You can download references from a public database rather than look for them on the web. You can import directly from PDFs and even store PDFs in the cloud. Mendeley also tracks your own personal citations and suggests relevant research for you.

What do you dislike?

The templates for various references cannot be altered. For example, I am unable to prevent the software from importing DOI information into citations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would check this out. It is great for most users. I'm sure that there's fancier options, but this is perfect for writing scientific papers.

Mendeley helps manage my references when I am writing research papers. It has saved me hundreds of hours and thousands of headaches vs. manually tracking references. It is also free and, as far as I can tell, as good as expensive reference software.

Mendeley review by Meghan P.
Meghan P.

"Excellent Free Reference Manager"

What do you like best?

I really like that Mendeley allows you to import your reference libraries from other management softwares. It also has a clean interface that works well for keeping everything organized. Mendeley works really well with switching from computer to computer while working on the same document. For the reference styles that it does not work well with (Vancouver), you will need to edit in text. With other free reference managers, editing causes a lot of problems, especially when you update the paper later in the process. With Mendeley, if you edit the citations in text or in the reference section, it only asks if you want to keep the manual edits once, and then moves on. This is even true when opening the document on a different computer

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it doesn't have correct citation styles, for example Vancouver.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This platform allows easy transition from other reference managers.

I use Mendeley to assist in preparing manuscripts for original research projects. The number one benefit is that it is so easy to use and free. Other open source options (cough, Zotero, cough) are too clunky and do not work well with chrome or mac platforms. I have never had a problem with Mendeley. Another benefit for this software is that it allows you to search for papers in the desktop application, this makes writing a lot easier (and quicker) because you don't have to go through several steps to log on to your institutions library website. Additionally, they send you suggestions based on your search history.

Mendeley review by Priyatanu R.
Priyatanu R.

"Great free citation manager with some bugs"

What do you like best?

I like the software interface and the synchronization features that this software has along with the web based importer and the Microsoft Word plugin. But there are some bugs as well. Overall though, you can't beat the software on value for money seeing as it is free.

What do you dislike?

There are multiple bugs and synchronization issues when the same account is used in multiple computers. Very often there is an error message at the top of the program saying that some kind of synchronization error has occurred and Mendeley can't sync. But the message does not specify which file is the source of the error or how to resolve the issue and as such it is kind of useless to the user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have been using Mendeley while other people I know use Endnote. And to be honest, I have never felt that I needed to buy Endnote to be able to have all the features I need in a reference manager. Mendeley fulfills that role adequately.

I use Mendeley for most of my research work and writing scientific papers and publications. The Word plugin has been especially useful since it integrate well with the existing software without much hassle in installation and plays well with Word's native reference tools. Also stylesheets for different journals can be downloaded from the web library and used without the user needing to modify anything. So far I have been able to find all of the stylesheets for the journal I have looked for.

Mendeley review by Ashley M.
Ashley M.

"Very easy to use"

What do you like best?

I started using Mendeley as a way to compile date from the various research articles I've come across when scouring the internet. What I like the best of this program is the attachment to the google chrome web browser. I am able to find a useful article and then click this button, which would automatically sync up with my medley account. And then from there I am able to grab the articles when needed. I also like how it can also create the citation for me based on the format of the document that I am writing

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything that I don't like about this program. This might actually be a limitation of google, but when I am logged into multiple accounts (email addresses) on the google chrome web browser, sometimes it doesn't sync up with the account that is actually linked to mendleley

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can be very easy to get caught up in the various literature. Organization is key and make use of the tabs and organization

The biggest business problem is organizing various research data. The organization of data and the cited works makes writing content and papers a lot easier.

In addition to that, as a clinician in the healthcare field, it is important for us to cite various research, and also find the needed sources to support my clinical decision making

Mendeley review by Travis M.
Travis M.

"Simple way to organize academic articles"

What do you like best?

Mendeley allows for the easy organization and recording of academic articles (which I use it for). The software allows you to upload pdf articles and then you can tag them to organize. The software also allows you to highlight within the text for note taking. Also allows for you to generate full citations for articles and export them to word.

What do you dislike?

I overall enjoy the software, however, the place where you take notes on the article needs to be improved. The notes window is too small and does not allow you to customize text (e.g., bold, underline, etc.).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an easy way to organize research articles this is the best software to use. Very easy interface.

We are able to organize a massive amount of research in one easy to use software program. Mendeley also allows for the easy importation of citations into manuscripts which is a massive time saver.

Mendeley review by David E.
David E.

"A good reference manager"

What do you like best?

Mendeley makes it easy to import new references - just save them in a folder on your computer and Mendeley reads them in. It supports both Word and BibTex. It has a good cloud storage system for your references, which makes them available across devices. Mendeley has a good built-in PDF editor that makes it easy to collate your notes.

What do you dislike?

It's very journal article centric. Quickly importing books is not nearly as straightforward - that usually has to be done manually. It DOESN'T do APA style title capitalization properly. This is a huge headache.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Between Mendeley, Zotero and Endnote, Mendeley is the cleanest and most streamlined solution. Zotero is maybe a little more open-source-oriented.

I use Mendeley when writing academic papers. It has made referencing quick and easy. It is especially easy to share documents with references in them. There aren't all the hassles with tags and macros.

Mendeley review by Hummer, J.
Hummer, J.

"Excellent Reference Organizer"

What do you like best?

This is a great place to organize my articles and take notes. I have been using this program for three years now, and I can't find fault with it. I'm just worried about running out of space. I love that I can easily make a reference list that is properly formatted in APA.

What do you dislike?

I used to be able to share articles without exporting the file as a PDF. That feature is gone. I miss it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Organize articles by category. This way, you can easily find them when you need them.

I keep articles for literature reviews organized. I can quickly make a references page in correct APA format. I have also used it to keep articles organized to write final exam responses with ease.

Mendeley review by User

"Mendeley makes research easier"

What do you like best?

(1) I love the article information search feature. It makes it easy to find all of the bibliographic details with the click of a button, rather than having to enter the data by hand. This feature works great with scholarly articles!

(2) It is also fantastic that the software allows you to retain PDFs of articles as well.

(3) Organization is made simple. It is easy to sort articles into folders by topic.

(4) Searching articles is efficient and easy. Mendeley allows you to search for keywords, pull up all articles by a particular author and even keeps record of the articles you have just added or recently read. As someone who spends a good portion of the day searching for scholarly data on a variety of topics, it is very handy to be able to easily view the articles I've recently added.

What do you dislike?

If the piece is not a scholarly article, it is cumbersome to enter details by hand and the automatic author name entries that pop up can be annoying to try and reset. However, this is a small inconvenience overall.

I am now able to easily store large numbers of articles for free. I used to use other reference management software, but they can be quite expensive. As an employee of a small non-profit, it is essential to save money whenever possible. I conduct systematic reviews, which require a great deal of storage space. I am still working with the free version and haven't run out of space yet!

Even if you do require more space, the paid versions are very affordable. For a tool that is so affordable, Mendeley packs a punch and easily competes with more expensive counterparts.

Mendeley review by Irazema F.
Irazema F.

"Very practical, open source and free!"

What do you like best?

You may use either the web or desktop version. On top of being an easy to use reference manager, it catalogs your pdfs in any way you prefer. Mendeley also shows annotations you created directly in your PDF files with Mendeley’s internal PDF editor. Overall it is pleasant to use, accessible across devices and provides more services than a simple reference manager.

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind at this very moment. I enjoy using this tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out different settings and find the one that will help your bibliography database. Practice the different APA styles and editor. Update the software regularly.

Organization and sorting of scientific literature related to on going projects. It is also has the ability for group collaboration.

Mendeley review by Aric G.
Aric G.

"Citation Manager for PhD Student"

What do you like best?

There are no frills with Mendeley. I drag and drop the pdfs I need into folders that are intuitive enough to organize. It has all the features you'd expect from a decent citation manager like highlighting, coloring, comments, and tags. In fact, there isn't really a whole lot that stands out compared to other managers such as Zotero, but just because it isn't blowing my socks off with bells and whistles, doesn't mean I don't appreciate the fact that it organizes my files.

What do you dislike?

The macro data (authors, year, journal, etc) is often lost in the import or the wrong macro data is imported, especially for older files where the text may be harder for the software to scan. While this is understandable for some really dated files, it is annoying to have to manually input macro data, especially when looking up such data takes almost as much time as putting it into a citation machine like bibme.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Because the macro info can be suspect to either not being imported or imported incorrectly, it is worth taking the time when you first upload a file to make sure you have all the necessary macro information in place. This will save you headaches when you either need that macro info (writing papers) or if you rely on such info to search through hundreds of files.

Pre-PhD, I kept my files in a folder in my hard drive. While it may not seem like Mendeley is much more than a place to organize folders in the same manner, it has been a saver of time in how I am able to quickly search, view, and mark up pdfs. For a grad student (or faculty) who writes academic papers requiring countless citations, saving as many middle steps saves a lot of time.

Mendeley review by User

"Extremely useful and convenient to use"

What do you like best?

Its free and easy to use. Recently it has been collaborating with Elsevier to improve the product. The software has both online and desktop application. It is extremely easy to use. You can just drag and drop files to get the necessary references. You can even use the online reference import tool. To directly extract the necessary reference from a webpage. It also has an inbuilt pdf reader where you can read and annotate stuff.

What do you dislike?

It sometimes makes errors while extracting the references and sometimes makes errors while building the bibliography. The web importer requires you to sign-in everytime you start the browser.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use the software to prepare academic papers, references for reports etc. I find it extremely easy to use. It has almost all the same features as other referencing software. So far all my referencing needs have been met using Mendeley.

Mendeley review by Zachary H.
Zachary H.

"Good online functionality -- offline is on par with the competition"

What do you like best?

I like Mendeley for its simplicity. It does do the same thing as its competitors, and, in fact, there seem to be fewer features; however its fairly clear how to use Mendeley, which cannot necessarily be said for some of its competitors.

What do you dislike?

Storing files has been a problem before. Also, Mendeley's offline and sync functionalities are not as strong.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about where you want to store things and what computer(s) you will primarily be using Mendeley from. If it is from a person, single-user computer, you may be better served with other products.

Mendeley has been useful for primarily internet-based library construction. It's been great for using on public computers, where my files will eventually be deleted -- everything I need is stored on Mendeley.

"A time saver"

What do you like best?

I like Mendeley's desktop application interface, and appreciate the functionality of the mobile application version. There aren't many citation managers that have a fully functional mobile application, so that is really nice.

What do you dislike?

I can't feel confident that Elsevier's content is not prioritized with Mendeley. As an open access advocate, it can sometimes be hard to stomach taking advantage of this product considering its provenance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always recommend trying a lot of different citation management software tools before committing to one. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, and the best tool is going to be different for everyone, depending on your own individual needs. Mendeley is a great tool but so are Zotero and RefWorks. So give it a chance but don't commit too soon.

Mendeley makes it easy to keep track of journal articles and other documents, organize them, and track my own stuff. It is a good tool to recommend to students since it is free.

Mendeley review by Elliot Marcel M.
Elliot Marcel M.

"Great capacity to document research and network"

What do you like best?

The fact that Mendeley is online and accessible anywhere is a fantastic resource. The cataloguing, citation creator and searchability functions are unparalleled. The integration into Word and the PDF capabilities within the software are great.

What do you dislike?

I preferred it when it was more focused on offering the services for keeping track of citations and didn't include all of the networking features that currently dominate the online interface. These are a distraction which is the great part about working in Mendeley itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

That its a free service makes it an awesome product.

I use Mendeley in the capacity of a doctoral student to keep all of my citations in one place and accessible remotely from any computer with an internet connections

Mendeley review by Samuel M.
Samuel M.

"Powerful Citation Manager"

What do you like best?

The Chrome extension allows me to easily save citations for articles from anywhere. I can save citations into different folders as well as have a shared folder that group members can use and contribute to. I love that it can also find/download PDFs of the documents if available. Plus, it easily formats citations into APA exactly as I need them.

What do you dislike?

The plugin for Microsoft Word is tricky to use. I had difficulty getting it to work properly with in-text citations linked to the overall reference list that it inserts at the end of the word document. Instead, I manually type the in-text citations and paste the formatted citations into my bibliography. I'm sure I could use the word plugin properly if I took the time to read a how-to guide.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are other's out there, but I find Mendeley to be very streamlined and intuitive. Easy to use and great for collaborations. Great price (FREE!).

I use this to manage a plethora of articles for my research and collaborating with colleagues on the same projects. It has saved me time, resources, and peace of mind.

Mendeley review by User in Restaurants
User in Restaurants

"Great for Citations"

What do you like best?

I like being able to search for articles that I need and having Mendeley tell me how to cite the article. It's also nice that they offer different citation styles. We go back and forth between medical and legal citations so it's helpful that I can be sure the reference is properly cited. Customer service has always been very helpful when we've contacted them with questions.

What do you dislike?

It took some training... I wish it was more intuitive to use. You also have to double check the citation; I've found errors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't have experience with similar programs, but Mendeley is relatively easy to use and allows us to keep our data and articles organized. Being able to search for a specific term, author, etc. is also very helpful.

We use Mendeley to share articles with our client base. It's a good organization & data management system that meets our needs.

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Mendeley for citation management"

What do you like best?

I love having all my papers in one place, being able to tag them by topic, and being able to easily add references to papers I'm writing. Mendeley just makes working with journal articles so much easier - instead of keeping tons of PDFs in various folders all over your computer, they all live in Mendeley and are accessible online, as well as synching across multiple computers. You can annotate papers right in Mendeley, and can search easily by keywords, authors, etc. - which means that you never lose a paper!

When you're writing and want to include references, you can just use the Mendeley plug-in for MS Word and search for the paper you are trying to cite. Mendeley automatically formats the in-line citation for you, and when you reach the end of your paper you can automatically add a bibliography that includes everything you cited in the text.

Another really great thing about Mendeley is that it recommends papers to you based on the topics you read about. I have found so many great papers this way!

What do you dislike?

The iOS app is a bit clunky; I would love to be able to highlight and write on the papers directly, but instead the app works just like a smaller version of the desktop program and doesn't take advantage of being on a touch-sensitive device. I also find it hard to email PDFs of papers from Mendeley, especially if I don't want to send all my annotations. Additionally, the online version of Mendeley makes it difficult to sort papers because it does not include your tags. Finally, Mendeley's references are not always in perfect APA format (the citation format I most commonly need) which is frustrating; I end up having to do a fair amount of manual editing of my references to correct small issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend using Mendeley. Just keep an eye out if you are working on a document where having the citations formatted 100% correctly is important (such as a manuscript for submission to a publication) since Mendeley does mess up formatting sometimes. Overall it will make your life SO much easier. And definitely sign up to get paper suggestions!

Citation management and PDF/document organization. Mendeley has enormous benefit as an organized, simple to use platform to find, store, read/annotate, share, and cite papers.

Mendeley review by Vijay R.
Vijay R.

"A must to have a library to keep the research publications organized."

What do you like best?

I have been a Mendeley user for 5 years now, and I use it every day to keep the research articles organized. The key feature of Mendeley is the ability to organize research articles across different topics/research-areas by creating folders. Also, an inbox like listing of the articles provides an overview of the library and it is easy to search for an article. In addition, the articles in a folder can be sorted quickly based on the authors, title, year, date added etc. For each selected article, the panel on the right side of the interface provides all the metadata and the ability to add notes. Most importantly, the articles are synced to the user's online account, and it is easy to access the article through the web interface.

What do you dislike?

The desktop application, though has various nice features, still needs a lot of improvements. For example, when adding notes to an article, one cannot change the font in the edit box. Also, resolving duplicate articles is still a complicated task. There are options to filter the articles by using filters "authors" "tags" etc. However, the interface provides no option to search for a filter value. This is a time-consuming task. Also, the interface should have an auto sync feature everytime the application receives the focus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are trying to find an online/desktop library to organize the research articles, Mendeley is the best software available today. Mendeley is rich with features, and its ability to sync all the articles to an online account makes articles accessible anywhere and on any device. With Mendeley web import addon it is easy to add new articles to the library and it saves time significantly.

Mendeley mainly helps to organize the research articles. Thousands of articles can be managed with ease when using Mendeley. Searching for articles is quick on Mendeley, and hence a lot of time is saved. Mendeley web addon (Import to Mendeley) makes it quite easy to sync articles from the web to the user's Mendeley account. Without this feature, one needs to download and add the articles to the library which is time-consuming. Also, the ability of Mendeley web addon to import articles from pretty much any website is highly commendable.

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Writing Scientific Papers with Mendeley "

What do you like best?

Mendeley has a lot of great features including cite while you write, but what sets them above other software is that it also functions as a PDF manager. You can organizes papers into folders by topic, view, read, highlight and take notes within the document. There is also a search tool that searches both the title and throughout the articles.

What do you dislike?

It does not always import italics well, you have to edit manual with HTML commands. The same for accent marks in author names, but I am not aware of a way to change efficiently add accents.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, it is totally worth it and they have great tutorials on their website.

Mendeley makes organizing your references within papers easy with cite while you write. You can change the style to any journal format with a simple click of a button with their word plug in.

Mendeley review by Dan W.
Dan W.

"Easy way to manage publications"

What do you like best?

I love how I can keep all the publications, relevant to my multiple areas of work, organized for easy access. The ability to search multiple paper and have them all stored on the cloud is ideal for anyone in research.

What do you dislike?

There are a few instances (very few) where I must repeatedly log in again to re-link my account and occasional issues where data fields aren't automatically populated from an uploaded PDF but nothing that is a major impact on my use of Mendeley.

I am constantly using Mendeley to quickly search a collect of publications for answers or data that is directly related to my work. When working in scientific research, it is important to manage a collection of publications relevant to your work than can be easily search for data that is related to current research projects.

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"A Great Way to Manage Citations"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is useful for storing and organizing citations, and for citing sources.

What do you dislike?

Some journals use the same citation style, such as AMA. If a journal uses the AMA style, that journal may not be listed. Instead, the user would have to know to select the AMA style. This can be cumbersome for some users. All journals should be listed, regardless of overlapping styles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do you need something that can find the full text?

Do you need to be able to import duplicates?

Do you need to be able to share citations?

Do you need to be able to cite while you write?

How much storage do you need?

Do you need a solution that is 100% cloud-based?

Do you need something that is free?

How robust of a product do you need?

Document and PDF management

Citing sources

Mendeley review by Alycia F.
Alycia F.

"A great program for organizing and formatting references"

What do you like best?

Mendeley has saved my paper over and over again throughout college and graduate school. Formatting citations, especially while reading the article and writing a paper, can be so tedious and often is left to the end. This causes a mad scramble the night before the due date to get all citations in order and avoid accidental plagiarism. Not with Mendeley! You can upload articles and papers as you go, and it will format based on the type of formatting you choose. It supports many types of literature and can format MLA, APA, etc nearly always correctly. There are only some times when I have to alter the automatically generated citation, and they are few and far between.

What do you dislike?

The interface can be difficult to understand at times, especially for beginners. Further, like I said, sometimes you have to adjust the automatic citation because it does not pull the right information out.

Reduces instances of plagiarism, keeps formatting consistent, and is a simple reference organizational tool.

Mendeley review by Signe J.
Signe J.

"Great reference software that simply work"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is simple, user friendly, free of charge, and does everything more expensive software like Refworks and Endnote does, only in my experience, it does it better. Importing references works smoothly, and the add-in even works with the newest version of word for mac (currently, Word 2016 version 16.xx). Furthermore, Mendeley has a function that can search for papers related to a selected reference, which is a great way to quickly find more sources on a specific topic.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike in Menderley.

Mendeley provides an easy way to organise your references and to create and format in-text citations.

Mendeley review by Brian T.
Brian T.

"Helpful organization and reference tool"

What do you like best?

I can keep all my saved literature in one place which is easy to search. I especially like the web-browser plugin that allows me to transfer information on a paper directly from the journal site to my Mendeley account, and even downloads the PDF if it's available. I also find the reference manager plugin for Word very useful. There are a number of templates for citation style built in, and I was able to define my own for a journal I frequently submit to.

What do you dislike?

Importing article information from some files can be error prone. Newer PDFs work well and so does the web import feature. It can be difficult to define a citation style; the interface is not easy to use, but with some effort I figured out how to do what I needed.

Keeping track of scientific literature and managing references in papers I write.

Mendeley review by Massimo N.
Massimo N.

"Fantastic program that makes referencing easy"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that Mendeley works well with Microsoft word. It easily allows me to format and create in-text references, as well as creating a referencing page. I also enjoy that it will update information as it is changed within the document, as well as within Mendeley itself.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there are some issues with identification of the correct information to extract from a PDF in order to reference the correct information, which I then have to manually alter. This may be due to the quality of the PDF's, but there may be a way for Mendeley to improve their identification algorithm.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mendeley is a great program that makes referencing a snap when writing papers, doing assignments or anything else that needs to have references in it.

I am using this program for creating technical documents, writing scientific articles and as a way to organize the PDFs that I have, such as text book chapters, journal articles and notes.

User in Research

"Easy way to keep your articles organized "

What do you like best?

What I like the most about Mendeley (besides how quick and easy it makes referencing your sources) is that it keeps your papers super organized. It allows you to classify the papers in folders, mark the interesting ones as favourites, and access them from any computer. Moreover, since it is possible to search for keywords within your library, it allows you to track back papers when you forget the author or the tittle ("who talked about X topic?"). I also like the fact that you can recieve article suggestions based on your library uploads. I have found relevant articles thank you to Mendeley suggestions more than once!

What do you dislike?

In some occasions the article details are not filled in automatically or are incorrect. Also, when I move the PDFs from one folder to another in my computer, the articles are no longer accessible on Mendeley and I have to upload them again.

I use Mendeley to reference my sources while writing scientific articles and as a way to organize my PDFs. Clearly, the main benefit of using Mendeley is time saving.

Mendeley review by Suzanne A.
Suzanne A.

"Critical tool"

What do you like best?

The citation generator in the Mendeley add-on in Microsoft Office Word. It is easy to use and saves a LOT of time. It can create a full reference list and in-text citations. Also, the ability to access and manage articles in real time across multiple platforms. So articles are accessible at any given moment.

What do you dislike?

The information on the downloaded articles is not always current/accurate and certain characters are not translated properly, which results in incorrect references when generating citations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is essential for graduate students writing their thesis or dissertation!

Scientific writing and research - literature management

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Beneficial bibliography software "

What do you like best?

This is an helpful tool for organizing and taking notes on articles. The Word integration feature is also quite beneficial although the citations often need to be edited. I also love that it can be used across multiple computers and serve as a storage location for articles.

What do you dislike?

The reference page generated often has multiple errors and can be timely to revise. Also, it can be difficult to sort through notes and combine notes across sources. The search function also often sorts articles oddly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth trying as a free alternative to other bibliography software.

I use Mendeley to organize articles while writing. I found using it to be quite helpful while writing my dissertation because it at least provided me with a skeleton of my reference page. I find it less helpful when writing a typical journal article.

Mendeley review by User

"Great software for managing research papers"

What do you like best?

Love the organizational aspects of Mendeley. You can great folders, keywords, and tags. I also use the highlighting and notes a lot when writing my own research papers. You can also upload your database of papers to the cloud, which means whenever you install it on a different device, you'll be able to access all of your content from wherever you are.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike, but I wish there was some kind of collaborative feature where you can annotate papers with colleagues and see each others' notes on the paper. If it had some of those features like Google Drive offers, it would be perfect!

Mendeley is widely used in the scientific research community, so it solves the problem of compatibility with others' files and annotations. Scientific research also requires many references to other papers and this solves the problem of organizing all of those sources.

Mendeley review by User

"It makes a students life very easy "

What do you like best?

The ease with which you can annotate. And also that it saves your data online so you won't have the fear of losing it. I also like its preface.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't point out any spelling and grammatical errors. So one needs to keep reading the notes again and again to make sure that they are not vague. Since at times, when you go back to your annotations - even you can't understand what's written.

Secondly, as far my experience has been, you need to save documents to your computer and then upload them to Mendeley - if there were a way that these docs could get directly downloaded to Mendeley, it would have been better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and you would find it better than many other reference managers.

I have recently started my doctoral studies. Earlier, I had always read from paper, so reading from the screen was a big big challenge. Mendeley helps me keep a track of the literature that I am reading. And since there's loads of it, it has made my life a bit easy. It's also very easy to navigate through.

Mendeley review by Rebecca B.
Rebecca B.

"Software for organizing and annotating academic articles"

What do you like best?

Provides for organization of academic articles across devices. Also allows for annotation and note taking on articles while reading, which are also synced across devices. It also has a word plug in that allows you to cite while you write, which is invaluable.

What do you dislike?

Software feels a bit dated. It also experiences syncing issues, with conflicting syncs across devices. The online search capabilities also do not work well and miss articles that an in browser search pulls up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are other alternatives out there, but Mendeley is cheaper than alternatives.

Allows for the organization and annotation of academic articles.

Mendeley review by Leah C.
Leah C.

"Life changing product!"

What do you like best?

Super easy to use. The option to save full-text articles is amazing. The library organization system is intuitive. The page scrubbing is quick and helpful. The syncing works wonderfully and makes it easy and awesome to quickly save or access things from any computer or device! The citing and bibliography tools are super easy and Word integration is seamless.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I honestly haven't found any flaws with this product yet, but I've only been using it for a few months.

The ability to save articles from any device for access later, the ability to cite quickly and RELIABLY!

Mendeley review by Denean K.
Denean K.

"Made my thesis and journal submissions easy"

What do you like best?

I love that with mendeley you can easily create in text citations in microsoft word and they will not crash to another computer without the plug-in. I also love that i can easily find duplicates.

What do you dislike?

You can only create one version of an in-text citation. For instance, I could not reference authors or the year in the sentence withot making manual edits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to get the Google Chrome web importer. It is one less step to upload articles from your web browser than to upload from your downloads folder.

I was able to switch from IEEE and APA formats easily, and also save copies without references to check word count. This makes it easier to edit submissions to journal requirements.

Mendeley review by Francisco S.
Francisco S.

"Saty organized!"

What do you like best?

It is very useful software that helps you organize all of your digital library. It is ideal for a research, specially in the related work section, and the bibliography, as it allows you to export the bibliography directly for LaTeX.

What do you dislike?

Even though it is not the software fault, many times, the metadata present in the papers and books is buggy, so when you import the papers into Mendeley, all the information is messy, and one have to fix it by hand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It really does help you to keep you digital library organized. Don't hesitate to use it.

In many academic writings I used the same references over and over again, and every time I had to take care of the citations, which is a heavy and tiresome task. Searching for a way to make this process more easy, I found Mendeley, a software that has help me a lot in this task.

Mendeley review by Esmitt R.
Esmitt R.

"An excellent reference manager!!"

What do you like best?

To find, store and organize our literature, Mendeley is an excellent option! It works en several operating systems, ease to use, import/export very easy and well formatted, allows synchronization on different machines, and more features.

The annotations per each article is a keystone of the system (in my opinion). Several references are found

"on the way" without a clear idea about the content, but them are related to a particular search. Well, this information can be stored as a annotation to associate a reference with a particular search. That's amazing, it keep our mind free of remainders!

What do you dislike?

Well, is a freemium software. That's not a disadvantage, I dislike that. Also, there is no open source (in comparison with other solutions such as Zotero or Docear), but it is not bad at all.

Moreover, the graphical user interface is not "well-looked", is normal. It could be a disadvantage for exigent users, but is totally functional: effective.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have a lot of references?

You work on several topics on your research? school?

Then Mendeley is a good option to store them, instead using single .txt files on dropbox o gdrive.

My main concern was about the availability of the data in everywhere. Particularly, I work using PC, desktop, phone and tablet, and the availability is crucial! Mendeley works fine on that. Actually the web version is terrific, simple but it works.

Then, to get a reference (and don't use the full memory) is an excellent tool to be used when a article/blog/scientific report should be written.

Mendeley review by Hillary F.
Hillary F.

"Makes citations easy, but a few bugs"

What do you like best?

I like that I can easily add my references to Microsoft word. The chrome plug in is great as well.

What do you dislike?

Some I have to manually add because the plug in wont work. Also, it doesnt recognize italics and I have to edit those manually. That can be very time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize. But expect to edit references and be prepared for things to not save appropriately.

It makes writing papers and documents a lot easier. Also great to share collections of papers with my co-workers.

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Best software to manage publications"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is an amazing software and asset for scientific writing and publishing in Journals. Mendeley is super easy to use. I like the option to save full-text articles. I also like the ability to search multiple scientific articles and have them all stored.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I dislike about Mendeley so far. Sometimes, the journal titles, authors or other information would not appear correctly, and I had to change it manually. Also I see citation duplicates even if no duplicated entry was inserted.

I work with Mendeley when writing research papers and manuscripts. Writing grants and research papers is super easy with a tool like Mendeley. Mendeley has greatly aided me in building a collaborative research library. Mendeley helps me to keep my library organized.

Mendeley review by Claudia Denisse S.
Claudia Denisse S.

"Great tool for research"

What do you like best?

I have found Mendeley as a great tool to organize all documents related to my research, as well as of great help while making citations in different formats.

I used it during my Bachelor's dissertation and throughout my Master's degree, and it has definitely helped me have better control of all the information in just one place.

The ability to get all the information by just adding the ISBN number of the document is also a very good feature.

What do you dislike?

The citation style that I'm currently using is not listed on Mendeley. I have still been able to use the program to generate the full bibliography and then I export the data to another website that converts it to the style I need.

Additionally, I've found that some references that are added automatically are not completely correct: sometimes papers are confused because they belong to the same author (mixed information).

When opening a file, the default zoom percentage is a bit high, so I always have to lower it a little to be able to read comfortably.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend the use of folders to better organize subtopics. Additionally, I would advise to review that all references uploaded automatically are correct.

It has helped me concentrate better when reading a paper. The ability to highlight text and make notes has also been useful while studying.

Mendeley review by Ashley W.
Ashley W.

"Nice product for managing references"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to organize and sort my references into logical groups. I often have multiple projects going on at one time, this enables me to easily add references to appropriate topic groups. The search feature allows me to easily find what I'm looking for. The "Mendeley suggest" feature has been very helpful in finding further articles related to what I am working on.

What do you dislike?

I wish the Mendeley suggest feature worked within the desktop app. I would like to see the word plug-in support bibliography creation without in-text citations. The type of writing I do I often do not include in-text citations, but I do want to include a bibliography or works cited section at the end. It would be nice to be able to select the articles I want and ask it to simply create a bibliography of those sources.

I create scientific publications and content for livestock producers. I take scientific research publications and create usable fact sheets that bring the scientific findings to the average producer in a usable fashion. I need to be able to create works cited and further reading sections using my sources. Mendeley keeps my library organized so I can always find the sources I need.

Mendeley review by Santiago ElĂ­as R.
Santiago ElĂ­as R.

"Best way to manage references!"

What do you like best?

It allows me to import documents from either my desktop, the web and even other reference managers like EndNote. Having my documents organized by author, title, year, and journal, is really helpful not only to have a quick access to any of them using the keyword search tool, but also to find new papers about my subjects of interest using the search tools included in the program or the academic social network in Mendeley's website. Also, the automatic citation plugin compatible with Word and Open Office is just great, as it offers many different styles.

What do you dislike?

Mendeley only creates a catalogue of your documents and does not change their saving location. This is actually a good thing as they will remain stored in a safe place, but you still need to organize them in their respective folders.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your reference library is getting bigger day by day, I'm sure Mendeley will be of great help!

It saves me a lot of time when writting my university assignments. The citation plugin helps a lot especially when I have to use the same reference many times within the same document.

Mendeley review by User

"Mendeley has so much potential but is an absolute nightmare!!"

What do you like best?

I really like the user interface on the website and the functionality of the chrome extension. I also am very impressed by the softwares' ability to recognise Authors' names, titles, volume no. etc. I would be very excited to see Mendeley actually work though...

What do you dislike?

The plugin for Microsoft word is worse than useless!!! All that happens is that you add it to word and then word becomes completely useable with constant freezing issues and and various other bugs. Downgrading to supposedly stable versions, as suggested by Mendeley does nothing and in some cases makes the situation worse. The only option is to uninstall the desktop app and remove the plugin, which is far easier said than done. I have spent the best part of 6 hours trying to remove all the files on my computer that relate to Mendeley in order to get MS word to work again.

This was the case for OSX but may be different for Windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering using the MS word plugin for OSX, PLEASE DON'T!! It is a very painful experience. If you do use it however and you need to uninstall, there is a video on youtube that worked for me.

Trying to streamline referencing process.

Mendeley review by Marcelo d.
Marcelo d.

"A reference manager combined with a online social network"

What do you like best?

Despite being a relatively recent release, Mendeley is a powerful reference manager. While it doesn't have the advanced features of more mature applications like Endnote, Mendeley compensates with a bunch of social and group features. Iit syncs library data with the cloud (and back to multiple computers) and allows accessing such references through Mendeley's website. It also provides browser extensions for capturing references directly from webpages. In addition, Mendeley presents a complete online social network for researchers, allowing to follow colleagues, create groups and collaborate online. Its interface is clean and uncluttered and it excels at managing PDFs, in most cases collecting metadata without user intervention. The mobile apps (for iOS and Android) complete the platform, which has showed consistent growth.

What do you dislike?

Mendeley basic plan is free, but very restrictive in group numbers. Currently you are allowed to share libraries with other two researchers, which severely limits collective writing. The monthly fee of $49 for groups can be a bit expensive, particularly when comparing with Zotero (free) and even with EndNote ($249.95).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Despite being free and each day more adopted, it is important to note that in 2013 Mendeley was acquired by Elsevier, a science publisher known for implementing restrictive publishing practices and high prices of journals. Since then, many of Mendeley supporters have criticized this event as a possible threat to Mendeley's open sharing model and some people even abandoned the software altogether, fearing that soon it would be charged or severely limited to conform to Elsevier practices.

Mendeley is helping us to work together producing academic papers in a very agile fashion. It has helped us to organize our PDF library in order to maximize our writing time.

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Helpful reference manager and PDF organization tool"

What do you like best?

Easy to keep track of all relevant citations and corresponding PDFs

Supports a variety of citation formats, such as APA, MLA, Chicago as well as journal specific formats, especially helpful for scientific publication preparation

Support for a variety of platform, including Windows, Mac and open source, i.e. Linux

Syncs to the cloud, easily transferable between computers

Great note taking and annotation functionality for PDFs

Ability to link a citation to multiple documents

Having an option to establish a scholar profile

MS Word plugin

What do you dislike?

Mostly useful for sciences, citation formats are somewhat limited for humanities

Not as many features as EndNote

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fairly similar capabilities to other citation managers, I would recommend trying a few before choosing one. Works a lot better if you work in sciences as opposed to humanities/ legal field.

Free version is available with limited capabilities

Citation management for some of the research publications, but also use EndNote and Zotero depending on the journal and collaborators' preference

"Mendeley"

What do you like best?

The library is very useful because it helps you to organize, read and annotate your journal articles and other documents. The datasets is an added plus, which is a secure cloud-based repository where you can store your data, ensuring it is easy to share, access and cite, wherever you are. Groups enable you to exchange ideas and share documents from your Mendeley library with your colleagues, students and peers. The funding link is very useful, especially for people that are looking for funding to do research in their fields. This makes Mendeley to be one of the best educational software in the market.

What do you dislike?

So far nothing I dislike. I have not had any problem with this software. Maybe later but for now, it is okay

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mendeley is a very good educational software that I think every one needs to use. It helps you to organize your articles in one place and also to share with colleagues and students.

For datasets and group search for educational resources. It is very good platform to share articles with colleagues and students. It makes work very easy. One can easy find and read other articles or journal from others. Students can find journals related to their chosen fields. It is a good tool to be included in libraries.

Mendeley review by Nuno A.
Nuno A.

"Great reference manager that needs to improve in some areas"

What do you like best?

The application holds a great number of scientific articles with no slowness or lagginess. The scientific articles can be stored on the cloud and downloaded to any computer you own easily (including the highlights and notes). The support for BibTex is also great and it's easy to integrate with LaTeX documents.

It's also possible to select a specific article and look for related ones. This feature is nice although sometimes the results don't have much relevance.

What do you dislike?

I dislike when the literature search does not recognise articles that are available in my library and that it doesn't allow to search only articles that are not available in my library. Although the literature search seems like a convenient function, it only allows to read the article metadata (including abstract) of an article. To read the article, you need to go to the article link (even for open-source articles).

Another annoying issue is that the application doesn't have keyboard shortcuts to switch tabs. Actually, keyboard navigation is almost non-existent since you can only navigate the articles using the arrow keys but you can't actually open the article or go back to the library using only the keyboard.

The interface has its share of problems. For example, it still doesn't support multi-touch trackpad's pinch-to-zoom and the details presented for each article use a small font and are badly placed, simply looking like a wall of text. There's also a need to improve the categorisation tools (you can only star articles and put them into folders).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Of all the free reference managers I've used, I find that Mendeley is the best. It offers a basic set of features to allow the discovery of new articles but its user interface leaves a lot to be desired. Nevertheless, the cloud option is algo great to easily sync your library across many devices.

Mendeley is great to organise scientific articles and has some basic features to make it easier to find new and related documents.

User in Research

"Great for storing all my publications"

What do you like best?

The ability to annotate my publications and save them in an organized way. Variety of platforms available for this product.

What do you dislike?

Would prefer to have note feature attached to write about saved papers in larger area and aggregate said data somehow. Auto import feature (of authors/publication info etc) is usually wrong with the wrong DOI from the uploaded PDF. Search function does not necessarily show results by most relevant.

I need organized ways of saving PDFs of interesting papers to stay on top of my field. I have been able to find more relevant research this way by seeing suggested results based on my library online.

Mendeley review by Touhid A.
Touhid A.

"Works good with Microsoft word "

What do you like best?

Managing citation was never easy without Mendeley. It is also a means of storing citation reference. In Mendeley I get all paper organized for my work. Web synchronization makes it more convenient. Generate bibtex for latex user. Has tons of space in web.

What do you dislike?

Separate plugin is required to connect with MS world. It should be automatic. Does not work real time with MS word.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Should be more interactive and user friendly.

Using it for writing papers, reports and proposal

Mendeley review by Iroegbu A.
Iroegbu A.

"Best Colloborative Reference Manager"

What do you like best?

Two or three authors can collaborate effectively on Mendeley. The first author writes and references with Mendeley the other authors can just download Mendeley, run it on the desktop and open the article from the first author and automatically the references synchronises on their system in perfection. Hence they can ALL edit, add or subtract to the same article without worried over references despite being at different locations or computers.

What do you dislike?

The problem of NOT being able to add citation in textboxes.

Writing of articles for publications. It's effective, efficient and downright simple to use...

Mendeley review by Jason R.
Jason R.

"Mendeley is great for managing a reference database"

What do you like best?

I can synchronize my reference library across my various machines and operating systems. It stores pdf files in the cloud so that I can access them anywhere. I can also export bibtex entries for references I want to cite. I believe it works with other types of citation systems as well, but I only use bibtex. I can organize my references into subsets based on topic, author, project, or whatever.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were better at automatically finding citation information. Often I have to manually enter authors and such (although sometimes it does find them on its own). I also wish it would synchronize files over 50mb. Currently, there is a 50mb limit. I also have had trouble getting coworker to use Mendeley instead of just depositing pdf files on Google Drive. These were coworkers who did not work directly with most of the material being stored, so never realized any of the advantages of Mendeley, and I think it is no fault in Mendeley that prevented them from using it. It is always difficult to enforce a system of organization on a group.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're doing research it is indispensable. If you keep up on organizing your references into collections and making sure the meta-information is accurate, it is a huge time saver when it comes to writing up any kind of report, publication, thesis, or other research document.

Management of reference materials such as journal articles and technical books for which I have pdf files. In some cases, I've picked up a project I abandoned years before. Because the references were stored in Mendeley and organized into folders, it was quite easy to pick back up. I think the organization features would be useful if I were part of a larger team.

Mendeley review by Katherine L.
Katherine L.

"Best free software for paper aggregation"

What do you like best?

I like that it's free and easy to use for my research. They have a word plug-in so that I can easily cite my papers when I am writing my research paper.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I sometimes have to manually change the citation references. When I upload a paper the references are not always correct especially if the paper is an uncorrected proof.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Papers and Endnote are better, but Mendeley is the best free software in my opinion.

I need to collect all of my research papers and be able to cite them. It is extremely convenient to use online and through the app so I can access my papers on the go.

Mendeley review by M. Serhat D.
M. Serhat D.

"Best Organizer for Academic Documents"

What do you like best?

Cross-platform support is the biggest advantage of Mendeley. It supports Windows, OSx, Linux, iOS and Anroid. Most of the smilar software doesn't support Linux operating systems, but mendeley does. The second biggest advantage for me was ready-to-use templates.

What do you dislike?

Some colleges only provide a proxy URL ending with "pac" which is working well with browsers but Mendeley doesn't support .pac extention URLs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mendeley is the tool to save you if you get lost between hundreds of PDF files and reports. I have been using Mendeley for almost 2 years and it really improved my academic writing skills, because I'm not spending anytime to organize my files anymore. So, I can simply say that- less time to think and organize, more time to write.

Mendeley organized my academic documents and report. Also Mendeley is capable of detecting meta-data of the many documents from sci, ssci and eric databases which is a big feature to organize documents.

User in Research

"Zotero is better for most things except Android app"

What do you like best?

Better-looking interface than Zotero, and its Android app is quite good, compared with Zotero, which has no official Android app and a few rather bad third-party Android apps.

What do you dislike?

The 'import' extension button in the browsers is not nearly as powerful as its Zotero counterpart. In the Zotero version of that button, it's like magic. With the Mendeley extension, not so much. There is also no functionality to right-click and rename the file based on parent metadata. Because Zotero is open-source, there are also several great add-ons which have no equivalent in Mendeley.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider Zotero first. The workflow you can achieve with Zotero is much faster and more useful than Mendeley, unless you insist on a good Android app OR your PDFs being opened within your reference manager for some reason (Zotero uses your regular system PDF reader).

Adding citations into a citation manager allows easy citing when writing academic papers. I am not sure but I suspect Mendeley may not have an issue sharing e.g. Word docs with users who haven't been using Mendeley. If Mendeley can do this smoothly, it is another advantage compared with Zotero. Otherwise I have realized few benefits from Mendeley and despite using it sometimes on my Android phone, I primarily use Zotero, as does my lab, for managing references and their associated PDFs.

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Convenient reference organization tool"

What do you like best?

The best feature is we can extract reference information (publishing year, journal, author names etc.) from Mendeley without manually filling in these detail. This saved so much time for me as a graduate student when writing my thesis, journal papers, or proposals. In addition, we can have all the references saved together and get access to it everywhere as long as we have internet. The document information organization page is very clear compared to zotero. The interface panel is also looking nice.

What do you dislike?

So far I have not seen any disadvantages of it. But it would be nice if we can have Mendeley add-on app on the google chrome webpage like zotero. I switch to zotero last year because they have all the feature that you can do with Mendeley and also add-on app in google Chrome browser, it is so much easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can try the sharing folder feature of Mendeley. It is so much easier than using dropbox to sharing all the references. It will not occupy any space.

I shared reference folder with my peer who were helping me with my research paper. And I also got sharing references from a senior researcher as I was learning in his field. Also I used Mendeley add on in Microsoft word to organize references in my journal paper.

Mendeley review by Stephen J.
Stephen J.

"Solid product with a few quirks and missing features I'd like."

What do you like best?

I used Mendeley Desktop for over four years as a reference manager and file manager for my article PDFs. The interface was clean and easy to use. The integration with Microsoft Word for creating bibliographies and in-text citations was seamless. The integration with Google Chrome also made it easy to grab references from the internet. Also the ability to search my references quickly by author, title, or journals was terrific.

What do you dislike?

I found that Mendeley would often corrupt the metadata from PDFs that I would download. The journal titles, authors or other information would not appear correctly, so I had to manually change it. That was frustratingly time-consuming. Also, I like to keep all my PDFs stored on Google Drive so they are accessible from any of my devices. I could not find a way for Mendeley work with the set-up I wanted. I access the references from my various devices, but not the PDFs. I recently switched to Zotero Desktop which solved both of these issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the best two free reference managers available.

Academic writing:

- Reference manager

- PDF manager

- Citation/bibliography plug-in to MS word

Mendeley review by Igor S.
Igor S.

"Good for standalone. Some issues with collaboration + word plugin"

What do you like best?

Easy to create a collaborative library;

Both desktop and web availability;

Synchronized in a central repository;

Multi-platform;

There is a plugin for word, which enables me to reference papers in my library

What do you dislike?

Collaborative features present few bugs. It is common to have duplicates even if no duplicated entry was inserted;

Some problems with Bibtex import

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to build a collaborative research library (manuscripts), Mendeley can help you

Collaborative research

Mendeley review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"An easy to use referencing software package."

What do you like best?

Having tried several other referencing management software, including Zotero and EndNote, I have to say this is my favourite out of all them. The 'Save to Mendeley' bookmark for your internet browser is very useful when browsing the web and it picks out all the details of a paper and the authors rather well. The search function within the software is also very useful for searching across the many references I have collected throughout the years. The layout is easy to navigate and identifying a paper is fairly easy. The edit function and notes section is a well-executed feature and easily extracted when typing up a document. Finally, extracting references are very easy, with the ability to modify which style you want without much effort.

What do you dislike?

I have found that the Microsoft Word plug-in can often run into difficulty when referencing in a document, although my feeling is that this might be more of an issue with Word than Mendeley. I also wish the text within the software was bigger, or there was some customisation available as currently it can be a little bit difficult to read the abstracts and document info when browsing. Lastly, the app for iOS could do with a little work as it struggles to sync with the desktop app and my work, often crashes, and in general, finds it hard to locate my most recent paper uploads.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are going to use Mendeley then I would suggest really getting on top of organising and tagging your incoming references. While Mendeley champions the search feature within its software, it can sometimes be difficult to find something if you're relying on the information extracted from the website and the author-supplied keywords.

This software is for my own personal use and I work with it often when writing research papers and manuscripts. It has been very beneficial to find, save and then reference a paper using Mendeley, removing much of the work and producing a more seamless process.

Mendeley review by Evan S.
Evan S.

"Excellent tool for organizing articles"

What do you like best?

Documents import automatically and become searchable upon import. References can be organized and shared with collaborators. The plugin for Word to insert in text citations and automatically compile a reference section is fantastic. It is so convenient that it feels like cheating.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if more articles were available through the search feature. Sharing articles and reference databases with many people would also be great, but these limitations are probably primarily due to copyright issues and not to the software's functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The free version of Mendeley lacks the ability to share and collaborate with more than a few groups with limited numbers of individuals per group (3 if I remember correctly). The premium version expands on this, but the group functionality still leaves something to be desired. If you are considering Mendeley for an organization and sharing across multiple users, keep this in mind.

Collaborating in small groups is much easier with Mendeley. Writing grants and research papers is substantially more difficult without a good organization tool like Mendeley.

"Great reference software"

What do you like best?

You can add papers into your library automatically, without needing to import them from the site or add them in manually. I also like that you can use it online.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything specifically that I can think of that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great software that you can log into online and syncs on the cloud. No need to download and easy to use. Through most universities you can access it for free.

I use it for writing papers. It helps with inserting references so that I don't have to put them in manually and automatically numbers them.

Mendeley review by User

"BEST Reference Manager I've Used"

What do you like best?

It's FREE! The desktop and web versions automatically and quickly sync every time you open them. The Google Chrome browser add on makes it super easy to quickly add new references to your library

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the PDF file of a reference doesn't get saved or something else happens so it won't open. It would also be nice if it automatically realized when you were saving duplicates of references you'd already saved and either alerted users or merged the references.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Zotero, Papers, Read Cube

Saving, organizing, and easily accessing references related to my research

Mendeley review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"An intuitive tool for reference management"

What do you like best?

The citation manager supporting multiple citation styles is particularly useful. I also like that Mendeley is fairly quick to recognize the articles I added and that it organizes these files into an easily searchable database from which I can create multiple folders and groups. The Word plugin feature is also excellent. The ability to save search results pages to my Mendele library is also a nice option. The free amount of storage (2 GB) is enough for the amount of files that I have. It’s great the Mendeley automatically renames the files using data extracted from the articles, since the files on my computers usually just have the article number.

What do you dislike?

I feel that the automatic extraction for citations could certainly be improved. Sometimes the citations are perfectly comprehensive but at other times they need significant revisions. The application for Mac is not particularly visually appealing. The social features are also not necessary for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mendele is an attractive option, particularly because it is free which is useful for grad students.

The biggest benefit for me is the ability to manage my files offline thanks to the computer download. I do not always have continuous wifi access so this is particularly helpful to me.

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Mendeley provides an efficient method for finding, storing, and citing references."

What do you like best?

The most useful feature is how easy it is to add in-text references to a manuscript via the add references search tool. It can also be useful to search for resources within Mendeley based on author or title. You can build a references library within the program that allows easy organization of references by topic. It is also possible to manually add references to the library. A great feature is the ability to connect to your Mendeley account from multiple devices.

What do you dislike?

Some citations come out with style errors because of the input information being incorrect - this seems inevitable and just requires quality checking by the user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are other programs that offer similar options to Mendeley, but I have no major complaints about this program and would recommend trying it.

Mendeley allows the building of bibliographies to be much more efficient, which enables more time to be devoted to writing quality manuscripts.

Mendeley review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Best free reference manager"

What do you like best?

Being available at no charge (the free version)

What do you dislike?

A lot of issues in Mendeley add-on in mMicrosoft word

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have worked with many citation managers and I should say that if you are looking for something free with maximum required features, install Mendeley :)

I use Mendeley for doing systematic reviews. The possibility of sharing your references in your research group via an invite-only folder is a brilliant advantage. Moreover, you can share your notes and highlights in a paper with other paper. By synchronizing your PC Mendeley with your Cloud Mendeley you can have access to your papers from anyplace by just connecting to the internet. The last but not least, you can export your library in various format and import it into other reference managers without any loss of information.

P.S. no need to mention that many scholar search engine support Mendeley

Mendeley review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Quick and Easy Management Once You Get Going"

What do you like best?

What I liked best about Mendeley was the ability to drop and drag .pdfs and have them all organized at once. When citing over 300 references its very useful to have your entire library at your finger tips. The ability to group them is also very useful as I can group certain topics together.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately the citation piece of Mendeley was really difficult for me to set up. The citation format I needed was a unique and rarely used citation format and this proved VERY difficult. I had to try and create a custom citation method but when linking to their creator it often crashed. I had to google tutorials on how to set this up and found others with the same problem. Sadly, I was never able to create the exact format I wanted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are working with large amounts of files and need a very general citation format this is THE product to use. However, if you need to customize your own citation I would highly recommend bringing some patience and coding (VBA) skills.

The business problem that this software solved was organizing large amounts of articles, publications, and books. The main benefit this provided was a cost effective (free!) way to manage all of these in a matter of seconds. The amount of time that this product saved us was substantial, to the point where we would have paid $50 for a license.

Mendeley review by Administrator in Research
Administrator in Research

"Great Alternative to EndNote"

What do you like best?

Mendeley comes with a "browser plug-in" importer (which is actually just a bookmark), so that it can easily capture the metadata from an article and save it into your Mendeley account. This is so much easier than having to download and import a metadata file.

What do you dislike?

About 50% of the time, the "browser plug-in" does not work for me, and I have to manually enter the data myself. Relatedly, the plug-in seems to uncapitalize the words in the title even though it was clearly listed as capitalized in the plug-in preview. The author names also sometimes need adjusting.

Also, I hate having to re-sync my Mendeley Desktop every time I import a new article. I kind of expect this to be done automatically.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free! It also allows online collaboration, has a browser plug-in, and has a Microsoft Word plug-in. Notably, the Microsoft Word plug-in was easy to install and use. In comparison to EndNote, it's easier to change citation style. Zotero is another popular alternative, which I admit I have not personally used; however, I've been happy enough with Mendeley.

I use Mendeley to quickly cite articles for my research. Mendeley lets me access my library wherever I go.

Mendeley review by Emrah A.
Emrah A.

"While Writing Article, It Accelerates Me."

What do you like best?

It is magical! I don't mess with references and APA (or another) writing rules. It makes me tidy and organized. It is collecting your chapters. It has got browser add-on so you can add publications quickly and easily. It supports a lot of citation types such as book, web site, article etc. You can track your Mendeley from both web and desktop application. Also it has got cloud sync.

What do you dislike?

It is not compatible with Office 365 for OSX and no support for local languages such as Turkish. Sometimes there is sync problems for example you are running at two computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Exactly!

Free version has got 2GB storage. Other similar softwares giving limited services.

Organize academic publications and writing references. It saves you from remembering writing tools.

Mendeley review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Best software for filing and referencing to research papers"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is a life-saver when it comes to organizing and citing research papers. I drag in all papers that could be of relevance to my PhD project and then export the library as a BibTex File I can use when citing in my Latex program. Reading, annotating and marking papers in Mendeley also works very well.

What do you dislike?

The major improvement would be around how to import new papers.

1. If I drag a file into Mendeley, in around 20% of the times the paper is not recognized correctly. It would help to have an in-built search function where you could type the name/author of the paper and it would auto/complete the rest (at the moment this only works if you have specific identifiers for the paper)

2. Dragging a paper from the Downloads folder into Mendeley does not change the saving location. Thus, if you happen to delete your Downloads folder later, the papers cannot be opened in Mendeley again. Would be great if Mendeley created a folder with copies of the original files (and then maybe even renamed the files)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Store the PDFs you import in a safe place and backup them. Mendeley does not store them for you bust just creates a catalogue and opens them from where they are saved.

Filing all the research papers I want to read / have read and then be able to cite them and automatically have my bibliography created. As Mendeley creates a BibTex file this problem is solved perfectly.

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Great Software for free"

What do you like best?

There are some reference managers but you need to pay for it. However Mendeley is free and you can do almost everything which other software can do.

The Mendeley has also "Watch Folders" function. It works very well for me; I just need to put the pdf in the folder. Since I am a lazy disorganized person, this helped me lots.

What do you dislike?

It is good that the Mendeley picks up information from pdf automatically. However, sometime it does not work well....

Although there are many citation styles available, it is less than other software, such as Endnote. You can make own citation format, but it may take time to learn how to do so...

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many reference managers available, but this is free and also has great functions. I have been recommending students to use this. It may require sometime to learn how to use, but there are great information everywhere online. If my work does not provide Endnote, I would have used this one for my papers and other documents.

I used this software for my master thesis work, which had more than 100 references. It helped me to organized documents, and put reference nicely on my papers.

Mendeley review by User in Biotechnology
User in Biotechnology

"Great free option for managing journal articles"

What do you like best?

This is a great option to store and manage journal articles. I like that I am able to make folders and subfolders, and that everything is easily searchable.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the program gets the wrong metadata and I have to go in and manually change the title, authors, etc. I'm not sure if this is due to something with Mendeley or something with the articles.

I work of many different projects. This allows me to keep my journal articles organized by topic, so that I can easily find them when needed. It is much easier than just keeping them in folders on my computer, since they are browseable and searchable.

Mendeley review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"The best reference tool out there!"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is the answer to your research problems! It has all of the features including easy importing and searching, PDF highlighting and annotations, intuitive user interface and organizational tools, a word plug-in, and lots of reference styles. Plus it is free!

What do you dislike?

It is not easy to change the reference style. Numerous times, I need to change the slightest detail in the bibliography formatting, such as parentheses instead of brackets, and doing so always takes much more time than I wish!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! It's free and you'll love it!

As an academic, keeping all of my papers organized, edited, and easily exported is a big challenge and a potentially large time sink. Mendeley helps solve this!

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Good, easy (and free!) way to compile references"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. Free. Can have it automatically sync with folders on your computer. Doesn't crash. Can form citations. Extensive journal article library. Compatible with Microsoft word.

What do you dislike?

Does not have all journal article citation styles (but does have enough that you can make it work); meta data extraction can sometimes be incomplete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommend using it! Just know that sometimes their metadata extraction isn't always entirely accurate, so make sure to give your citations a once over to make sure they look right.

I used it for citing both journal articles and writing my thesis. I didn't have to pay for an expensive program, and it still made referencing ~200 papers relatively painless.

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Mendeley Reference Manager is awesome"

What do you like best?

I like Mendeley's user friendly interface. It is the best I have used so far. I like the feature that allows me to highlight within the text for note taking when I have to deal with so many articles. Mendeley's google chrome plugin allows you to collect, cite and share articles as you browse. I also like the search option for searching papers.

What do you dislike?

Storing files and Mendeley's offline and sync functionalities need some improvement. I've had some synchronization issues when the same account is used in multiple computers

I use Mendeley for my research work and writing scientific papers . With Mendeley my scientific writing and publishing is more organized and less time consuming.

User in Research

"Absolutely essential for anyone who needs to reference"

What do you like best?

This has been absolutely essential for me as I regularly need to reference reports and papers. You can add a Web Importer straight to your browser, which will not only let you save web pages but also downloads PDFs of articles or reports if they are available. The fact that you can then reference in Word and add a bibliography that can be updated throughout in a variety of different referencing styles is extremely handy. I would recommend this over any of the other referencing tools.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if it were available to use with other software like Pages.

It solves the problem of having to keep track of my sources. I can add notes so I can summarise articles etc. I can tag it with subjects but also add them to various folders.

"Mendeley is the best"

What do you like best?

it is one of the most useful software for scientist. when you are writing papers it is always there for you and referencing matters

What do you dislike?

sometime it crashes and takes time to get fixed and I guess it is because you have uploaded so many thing in it.

writing scientific paper is not an easy task and referencing the papers is even harder. mendeley has facilitaed this hard task

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Fantastic free resource for researchers"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of Word integration and capacity for multiple citation formats. Mendeley is free which makes it very attractive for the poor grad student

What do you dislike?

Pdf view/reading is not the best, compared to readcube for example. It is hard to make groups to share files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to revise that the information is correct before using citation tools. Try it!! it is a great resource.

Research citations for papers and school writing

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"A powerful, one-stop shop for managing citations"

What do you like best?

The ease of importing citations into MS Word with the MS plug-in. Also, the web plugin enables downloading and saving citations (and pdf if available) on the go.

What do you dislike?

The MS plug-in can't be used when you maximize the word file in MacBook. It's annoying is all.

I use it regularly to write scientific articles, proposals and also to read papers in the in-built pdf reader.

Mendeley review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"Works great after lengthy set-up time"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is a convenient way to organize research into one system. It is easy to import documents, and even simpler if you set up a desktop folder to save articles directly to.

What do you dislike?

While a great storage system, there is still significant room for improvement as far as automatic generation of fields, syncing and the fact that Mendeley Suggest does not work in the desktop application (Mac)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mendeley needs to fully implement the features they offer into the desktop application. Further, AI/text analysis improvements should be considered to automatically pull information and update the algorithm for citation generation to meet APA 6 requirements (e.g., DOI not included).

Research and literature reviews.

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Makes it easy to keep track of all your references"

What do you like best?

I loved Mendeley right away, because when I started using it it automatically found my references online and populated my bibliography. It also keeps it updated. I also love that it displays all by publication on my online profile, and keeps track of my citations. And it's free!

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I hate, especially after switching from EndNote, which has an obsolete/old interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The free service is great for my needs as a researcher to keep track of my references and to generate bibliographies.

Easy management of references for bibliography and publications, it saves me a lot of time from having to assemble the references manually

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"It is a great software, which lets you manage, tag and sort your papers. "

What do you like best?

Its more of a paper sorter and arranger thing for me. It is something that lets you save papers by idea, mark them, and use them elsewhere, integrates into MS word, and you can recall through author, title, or keywords.

What do you dislike?

Intext citation is styled just one way, you have to manually edit. Often fails to populate the fields itself via web.

Time saving, better organization

Mendeley review by Ozge Y.
Ozge Y.

"Great choice if you need a cross-platform reference manager,"

What do you like best?

It is free and available for Linux operating systems.

What do you dislike?

The article information is often not correct upon import.

Using it for citations and managing the library.

Mendeley review by User in Higher Education

"Best reference software out there--and it's free!!"

What do you like best?

Mendeley is the best! I've tried so many different systems for managing references and citations (Ref works, end note, upad, etc) and Mendeley is better than them all! Easy to use, customizable, and free! Could not ask for more.

What do you dislike?

For some older papers, the highlighting features are not great, but they have gotten better with time. I also wish it was easier to edit specific aspects of reference styles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is free, so just try it out!

Mendeley is the best way to organize different papers for projects and keep references sorted.

"Helpful reference software"

What do you like best?

Helpful way to organize my references for class work and research projects

What do you dislike?

Sometimes a pain to have to go through an organize things, but otherwise not too bad

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider this is you use a lot of references for your work! Very helpful for staying organized and exporting ccitations

Helps me keep my references straight, allows me to easily export citations for a bibliography

Mendeley review by Davoud H.
Davoud H.

"Powerful tool for referencing"

What do you like best?

I use this soft for my paper referencing and I really like its ability to update the format of each journal.

What do you dislike?

Th thing I don't like is: sometimes it cannot remove double references or same references

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an easy tool for your reference formatting, Mendeley is that one

To write the report of projects

Mendeley review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Very easy to use citation manager but best for documents that need in-text citations "

What do you like best?

Very good for creating reports and papers for publishing that incorporate in-text citations (including type of citation style) and References/ Bibiliograpgy

What do you dislike?

The reference management can be a bit cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is free to a certain extent but I found this to be the most easy to use Citation Management software

None.