Mendeley

Mendeley is a desktop and web program for managing and sharing research papers, discovering research data and collaborating online.

Work for Mendeley?

Learning about Mendeley?

Mendeley Reviews

Showing 117 Mendeley reviews
Mendeley review by <span>Kelly T.</span>
Kelly T.

Organize literature references with Mendeley

What do you like best?

The software is free. I can organize articles into folders. I love the search engine with which I can look up articles based on phrases that I remember. I like that I am able to highlight and take notes using the software.

What do you dislike?

I know that there is a limit to the free storage. I wish I could see how close I am to that limit so I can monitor my use. The "import" option for web browsers can be improved. I have a lot of trouble importing PDFs that way. I also wish that the article won't be marked as "read" unless I do it manually. Sometimes I open the document but have not finished reading.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good software to use if you have never considered organizing your reference articles. Citations can be made in Microsoft word using Mendeley too.

In science, we have to write grants and papers all the time. It is very difficult to keep track of all the references. Mendeley makes it easy to keep track of references for each project.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Mendeley
Mendeley review by <span>Jumana H.</span>
Jumana H.

A Time efficient software for organizing many citations

What do you like best?

When I was working on my thesis, I really needed a FREE software to help me in citation and due to narrow time frame I had, I needed an easy software without the need to learn something new. So, I found Mendely! it it fulfilled all my requirements. Easy to use, has 500 MB cloud storage, citations can be extracted from any PDF which is awesome!.

Also, using a plugin which can be integrated with Microsoft Word and we can choose any bibliography style. All citations can be saved and synced to your account, so I don't have to worry if I lose any resource.

What do you dislike?

Well I had some issue while using it which is a time consuming sometimes, data extraction from any PDF is not that precise, beside sometimes it gives you mismatching information which I think it needs improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really recommend Menedely to whom are suffering in organizing their citations, especially the masters & PHD students.

We can share an important papers and articles provided with notes and my colleagues can access them and add more into the library.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

Mendeley review by <span>Sarah D.</span>
Sarah D.

A fantastic way to organize citations

What do you like best?

I like being able to keep my citations up-to-date as I am writing a paper without needing to spend a whole lot of time doing so. I appreciate that I can put my references into the library quickly from wherever I am accessing them from and also that there is a plug-in for Microsoft Word so that all the work I put into storing the citations is accessible.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes sharing references with others is a bit confusing. I am never sure if I can share a folder to a group, or if I need to create a group that has access to the references.

Also -- and this isn't Mendeley's fault, per se, but it's important to be aware of -- sometimes the automatic formatting of the citations isn't quite perfect (e.g., sometimes authors' last names get inputted in all capitals, etc.) so it's not quite a "set it and forget it" system.

In addition, sometimes the authors have multiple listings, for example; "Smith, J" and "Smith, J." are separate author listings, even though it is the same author. It would be nice if we could batch merge these more easily.

I like to share references with my collaborators through Mendeley. I also really appreciate having the

Mendeley review by <span>Kirby K.</span>
Kirby K.

Reliable, free substitute for EndNote

What do you like best?

I really love how high quality the program is despite it being free. I don't see myself ever paying for EndNote when Mendeley is such a solid option. There are very, very few things that Mendeley lacks in comparison with EndNote.

What do you dislike?

If I absolutely had to choose something, it would be that you have to install a plugin into MS word to cite your sources, and in EndNote, you don't. But really this isn't much of something to dislike because it's really, really quick to install the plugin.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommend, especially if spending money on EndNote seems like something that's difficult for you to do. Mendeley, in nearly all respects, is just as good as EndNote.

Sharing papers in groups is really easy, and as a biologist, it allows me to stay organized with all of my PDFs in a way that I really struggled with before. My lab at DePaul University uses Mendeley to share papers and also share ideas, as you can take notes on the papers in Mendeley, as well.

Mendeley review by <span>Kelsey S.</span>
Kelsey S.

The best option out there for academic pdf organization (but could use an upgrade for tablets)

What do you like best?

Mendeley is great because it allows you to organize your pdfs within the app and will auto import any newly downloaded pdfs from the folders you designate. It's also great to have things sync across devices so what I'm reading and my notes are always with me regardless of which device I'm using.

What do you dislike?

This app has so much potential for integration with tablets but falls short. It would be wonderful to get integration with the Apple Pencil so you can take notes directly on articles. The desktop app is also sometimes a bit buggy for Macs in terms of syncing (I can't speak to the PC side of things).

Mendeley helps me organize what I have and haven't read, and easily find articles when I need them for my own reading or to share with colleagues.

Mendeley review by <span>Adithyaa J.</span>
Adithyaa J.

Reference manager for simplified file management

What do you like best?

The feed and connected database that can monitor and find stats on your articles is the nest thing that i like in mendeley. The software which comes with mendeley is free for limited storage of documents which are on the cloud and thus can be accessed from anywhere using any system. The mendeley also has the ability to share the article wit multiple users and also have separate storage space for the same.

What do you dislike?

only one thing that i dislike about mendeley is the sometime slower performance of word plug in that will have to play a important when you are looking for bibliographical service by mendeley. other than this mendeley does not have any dislikes and everything works at its best make this only a slight con which has been overcome by its vast pro's in helping you

Recommendations to others considering the product

the greatest recommendation that i can give for mendeley is the integrated file reader with connected annotation and comments. More than this mendeley is a free software for limited use. so give it a try

sharing of documents and the collaborated editing of bibliographical data has been a great challenge that has been addressed by mendeley and this will prove to save great amount of time in organizing the files with your system and colleague.

Learning about Mendeley?

* We monitor all Mendeley reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.