Micro Focus VM Explorer

Micro Focus VM Explorer is a backup solution that offers fast virtual machine backup and granular restore, replication, and verification of VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V environments

Work for Micro Focus VM Explorer?
Ibmspectrumprotect 2x

Learning about Micro Focus VM Explorer?

Micro Focus VM Explorer Reviews

Ask Micro Focus VM Explorer a Question
Showing 27 Micro Focus VM Explorer reviews
Micro Focus VM Explorer review by <span>Brennan S.</span>
Brennan S.

HP VM Explorer Experience

What do you like best?

Love being able to back up our entire infrastructure and know that we can recover when we need it. We have use the backups on many occasions to help us or clients. Easy to setup.

What we are currently using:

1. The Instant VM Recovery Service. Total lifesaver for us. We can recover the VM directly on the backup machine and within minutes have the backup ready to recover files and transfer them between machines.

2. Instant file restore. We can browse full and incremental backups to find individual files and restore them directly to the live machine if needed. Great for config files that have been accidentally overwritten.

3. We are a PCI shop and need our backups encrypted. VME allows us to do that.

4. Offsite backups to Amazon S3 storage.

5. Verification of backups. Once the backup is done, there is an option in VME to boot up the VM and actually take a screenshot to verify the integrity of the backup. It is included along with the backup to verify. This is priceless to us.

What do you dislike?

Not much. Have tried many different offerings out there and for the price - this product offers the most enterprise features that just work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Performance is as advertised. It works. Easy setup. I know it recommends using Windows Server, we are actually using Windows 10. Just a note, for this review - we are using VM Explorer - Enterprise Edition. I know the pro is lacking a few features that I mentioned, but I wouldn't hesitate to use that either if I was on a budget.

We moved from some previous backup solutions that were a combination of Vmware default offering with Essential's products and rsync scripts in combination with hard-linking. After analyzing backups and recovery efforts, we found that upwards of 33% of our recovery efforts failed. We needed a new solution as these efforts cost not only time, but data and confidence.

We couldn't afford a backup solution that cost as much as the cost of our VMWare licensing, yet we needed a backup solution that performed well. I'm very glad we found VME.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Micro Focus VM Explorer
Micro Focus VM Explorer review by <span>Matteo T.</span>
Matteo T.

HPE VM Explorer

What do you like best?

One of the best thing of ths backup software for virtual environment is that it supports both Vmware ESX and Microsoft hyper-v. Another thing that we love about that software is the support to all versions of VmWare esx both Payment and Free version. One more thing is the seplicity of configuration that not require high end skill or specific certifcation.

What do you dislike?

One of the missing point is that he don't support some feature like Deduplication and Compression, the price in comprarion from the previous version has become a bit expansive compared to other product like this, but remains anyway a perfect product if you had a lot of esxi free server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not god to manage scenarios like disaster recovery via WAN networks, because it don't have deduplication and compression over the network.

We used this product for backup our environment e our cusotomer environment, in this way we can manage remotely lot of backup for customer without the need to have a single installation for each of them.

What Backup solution do you use?

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by <span>Benjamin D.</span>
Benjamin D.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

A great allrounder that keeps getting better

What do you like best?

- Easy to use use and intuitive

Everything is webbrowser-based and it doesn't have a thousand vaguely named different pages, like competitors. It's clear where it what and what will do what, with great explanations.

- In its priceclass an absolute recommendation

Of course you could use top tier software with WAN acceleration, etc. But you'll pay top dollar for top shelf.

VM Explorer might like a few enterprise features but includes close-to everything you'll need.

What do you dislike?

- I'd like more customization with backup plans

You could build backup plans to save weekly and monthly and daily (though not yearly, for some reason?), but you can't just create one job which will save x backups monthly, weekly and daily for a period of x months/weeks/days.

Which would make creating a thorough backup plan much quicker

- Once in a while (every 2 weeks or so) it just fails with one VM or so... For some odd reason. We have this running on a dozen sites with different infrastructures, so it's not really an underlying problem, as far as I can tell. VM Explorer would just say it couldn't open the firewall ports or couldn't overwrite a file, etc.

- incremental is available, but just plain handicapped, as you can't save to any drive, but a drive attached to the server where the backup software is running on. I find this unacceptable and I'm hoping for it to be resolved in an update.

- I don't like that there's no proprietary format option, which would allow thin disks to be saved outside of an ESXI environment, like on an RDX cartridge or so.

- we've solved needs for quick and easy backup for multiple sites.

- it has reduced administrative time with backup checking and issue solving

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by <span>Randall B.</span>
Randall B.

VM Explorer it works

What do you like best?

I really like the ease of use and setup. I have used VM Explorer since Trilead and version 3 and it keeps getting better.

What do you dislike?

I was disappointed when they completely removed the desktop interface in the preference of the web interface. I liked the desktop interface for speed and usability.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This system really works and works well. Easy to set up and use. Does licensed and free versions of VMWare. It also does HyperV and other platforms.

I use VMExplorer to backup both licensed versions and VMWare and the free versions. Most of the more expensive backup/replication systems can not claim this. I use it for both replications, incremental backups and even moving VM's between the free and licensed versions of VMWare.

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by <span>Dag Frode A.</span>
Dag Frode A.

One Solution Backup

What do you like best?

One license solution that support all my vmware server. We all set up new temporary vmware server for testing / upgrading and then you do not need a new license on you backup software for making copies of you latest work

What do you dislike?

Disabling desktop version as standard, When running the software it forces you to the web interface, on the old version we could choose (Web interface is great but when you are use to the desktop interface it takes time to get comfortable with the new stuff.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compared to the competition, vmexpore give you a full solution in one system, independent of how many virtual servers you have.

All my vmware backup in one soultion

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Administrator
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Great backup with no hassle

What do you like best?

I love the email reports which give you a quick, customised overview of what succeeded and what failed. Unfortunately it often fails (more on that later)

I like that it works with free ESXi versions, since it's for my home lab.

What do you dislike?

It fails every week or so with strange errors, that it can't access some files. Even though there is no access to the VM or Datastore at that time.

I dislike the incremental feature where I can't back it up to an ESXi Datastore. That's a real shame and I don't really understand why my trial of Veeam could, but this can't.

No business problems. But I do have home lab and a nas where I push backups to. It works 4/5 times, which is good enough for me.

Learning about Micro Focus VM Explorer?

* We monitor all Micro Focus VM Explorer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.