Micro Focus VM Explorer

Micro Focus VM Explorer is a backup solution that offers fast virtual machine backup and granular restore, replication, and verification of VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V environments

Work for Micro Focus VM Explorer?

Learning about Micro Focus VM Explorer?

Micro Focus VM Explorer Reviews

Ask Micro Focus VM Explorer a Question
Showing 27 Micro Focus VM Explorer reviews
Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Brennan S.
Brennan S.

"HP VM Explorer Experience"

What do you like best?

Love being able to back up our entire infrastructure and know that we can recover when we need it. We have use the backups on many occasions to help us or clients. Easy to setup.

What we are currently using:

1. The Instant VM Recovery Service. Total lifesaver for us. We can recover the VM directly on the backup machine and within minutes have the backup ready to recover files and transfer them between machines.

2. Instant file restore. We can browse full and incremental backups to find individual files and restore them directly to the live machine if needed. Great for config files that have been accidentally overwritten.

3. We are a PCI shop and need our backups encrypted. VME allows us to do that.

4. Offsite backups to Amazon S3 storage.

5. Verification of backups. Once the backup is done, there is an option in VME to boot up the VM and actually take a screenshot to verify the integrity of the backup. It is included along with the backup to verify. This is priceless to us.

What do you dislike?

Not much. Have tried many different offerings out there and for the price - this product offers the most enterprise features that just work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Performance is as advertised. It works. Easy setup. I know it recommends using Windows Server, we are actually using Windows 10. Just a note, for this review - we are using VM Explorer - Enterprise Edition. I know the pro is lacking a few features that I mentioned, but I wouldn't hesitate to use that either if I was on a budget.

We moved from some previous backup solutions that were a combination of Vmware default offering with Essential's products and rsync scripts in combination with hard-linking. After analyzing backups and recovery efforts, we found that upwards of 33% of our recovery efforts failed. We needed a new solution as these efforts cost not only time, but data and confidence.

We couldn't afford a backup solution that cost as much as the cost of our VMWare licensing, yet we needed a backup solution that performed well. I'm very glad we found VME.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Micro Focus VM Explorer
Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Matteo T.
Matteo T.

"HPE VM Explorer"

What do you like best?

One of the best thing of ths backup software for virtual environment is that it supports both Vmware ESX and Microsoft hyper-v. Another thing that we love about that software is the support to all versions of VmWare esx both Payment and Free version. One more thing is the seplicity of configuration that not require high end skill or specific certifcation.

What do you dislike?

One of the missing point is that he don't support some feature like Deduplication and Compression, the price in comprarion from the previous version has become a bit expansive compared to other product like this, but remains anyway a perfect product if you had a lot of esxi free server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not god to manage scenarios like disaster recovery via WAN networks, because it don't have deduplication and compression over the network.

We used this product for backup our environment e our cusotomer environment, in this way we can manage remotely lot of backup for customer without the need to have a single installation for each of them.

What Backup solution do you use?

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Benjamin D.
Benjamin D.

"A great allrounder that keeps getting better"

What do you like best?

- Easy to use use and intuitive

Everything is webbrowser-based and it doesn't have a thousand vaguely named different pages, like competitors. It's clear where it what and what will do what, with great explanations.

- In its priceclass an absolute recommendation

Of course you could use top tier software with WAN acceleration, etc. But you'll pay top dollar for top shelf.

VM Explorer might like a few enterprise features but includes close-to everything you'll need.

What do you dislike?

- I'd like more customization with backup plans

You could build backup plans to save weekly and monthly and daily (though not yearly, for some reason?), but you can't just create one job which will save x backups monthly, weekly and daily for a period of x months/weeks/days.

Which would make creating a thorough backup plan much quicker

- Once in a while (every 2 weeks or so) it just fails with one VM or so... For some odd reason. We have this running on a dozen sites with different infrastructures, so it's not really an underlying problem, as far as I can tell. VM Explorer would just say it couldn't open the firewall ports or couldn't overwrite a file, etc.

- incremental is available, but just plain handicapped, as you can't save to any drive, but a drive attached to the server where the backup software is running on. I find this unacceptable and I'm hoping for it to be resolved in an update.

- I don't like that there's no proprietary format option, which would allow thin disks to be saved outside of an ESXI environment, like on an RDX cartridge or so.

- we've solved needs for quick and easy backup for multiple sites.

- it has reduced administrative time with backup checking and issue solving

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Randall B.
Randall B.

"VM Explorer it works"

What do you like best?

I really like the ease of use and setup. I have used VM Explorer since Trilead and version 3 and it keeps getting better.

What do you dislike?

I was disappointed when they completely removed the desktop interface in the preference of the web interface. I liked the desktop interface for speed and usability.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This system really works and works well. Easy to set up and use. Does licensed and free versions of VMWare. It also does HyperV and other platforms.

I use VMExplorer to backup both licensed versions and VMWare and the free versions. Most of the more expensive backup/replication systems can not claim this. I use it for both replications, incremental backups and even moving VM's between the free and licensed versions of VMWare.

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Dag Frode A.
Dag Frode A.

"One Solution Backup"

What do you like best?

One license solution that support all my vmware server. We all set up new temporary vmware server for testing / upgrading and then you do not need a new license on you backup software for making copies of you latest work

What do you dislike?

Disabling desktop version as standard, When running the software it forces you to the web interface, on the old version we could choose (Web interface is great but when you are use to the desktop interface it takes time to get comfortable with the new stuff.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compared to the competition, vmexpore give you a full solution in one system, independent of how many virtual servers you have.

All my vmware backup in one soultion

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Administrator

"Great backup with no hassle"

What do you like best?

I love the email reports which give you a quick, customised overview of what succeeded and what failed. Unfortunately it often fails (more on that later)

I like that it works with free ESXi versions, since it's for my home lab.

What do you dislike?

It fails every week or so with strange errors, that it can't access some files. Even though there is no access to the VM or Datastore at that time.

I dislike the incremental feature where I can't back it up to an ESXi Datastore. That's a real shame and I don't really understand why my trial of Veeam could, but this can't.

No business problems. But I do have home lab and a nas where I push backups to. It works 4/5 times, which is good enough for me.

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Great bang for your buck!"

What do you like best?

It includes lots of enterprise features,such as tape support, immediate VM recovery from the backup, support for both hyper-v, free esxi, vcenter, etc.

Even in the free version, it is the best i have found so far.

What do you dislike?

If there is something I dislike, it would have to be the switch to the Web Interface. I preferred the native Windows Client... but that is just personal preference.

What is also a drag, is that the email report shows 'failed' if just oje of the jobs in the task failed.

I am saving myself the worries and hassles of checking 'backups' that were made through self-written scripts. The e-mail report is a dream and beats checking backuos manually every day.

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Jeremy H.
Jeremy H.

"Solid Flexible Application"

What do you like best?

I like variety of different configurations that you can use it. I have used it for everything from backup, to duplicating gold images for VDI. I also love that I can backup a remote server to shared storage at the remote location from the same console that I manage backups of my onsite virtual servers.

What do you dislike?

I would love to have a backup to tape option.

Cost effect backup of local and remote servers.

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Troy E.
Troy E.

"Excellent product for VMware!"

What do you like best?

The ability to back up any ESXi VM. Auto-refresh of hosts.

What do you dislike?

It really needs de-duplication as a backup option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool for stand alone ESXi.

We use unclustered ESXi servers for our DQS environments and this product lets us back them up, as well as provide a quick search mechanism for finding what host a VM sits on.

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Joseph L.
Joseph L.

"It just works."

What do you like best?

Ease of use and does as promised. We were sold this product back when it was just VMEX and we love the interface update when moved to HP.

What do you dislike?

Would be nice to have some vss or os level backups.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a reason why HP bought them

Sometimes faster than migrating and cloning.

"HPE VM Explorer"

What do you like best?

How to use the VM Explorer for several years.

Is a very good software which can provide all the possibilities of backup a VM.

We also installed the VM Explorer with our customers

What do you dislike?

Do not like doing it and there is no Windows program anymore but everything

In Explorer / Browser must go!

Recommendations to others considering the product

The accessibility at HPE leaves something to be desired and should be improved by a direct response partner

The speed of the fuse should be improved

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Licensing is terrible since HP bought Trilead."

What do you like best?

It's simple, perfect for small-scale deployments. KISS

What do you dislike?

I'm not a fan of the licensing options since HP took over Trilead. I might not renew our license next year.

I don't like the new web-only platform. I really liked the "thick" Windows client. It was faster and easier to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that VDP doesn't work for your needs before exploring VMX.

Backups are important. I'm able to easily ship off my backups to our backup/DR site.

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Yigal R.
Yigal R.

"Vm explorer "

What do you like best?

Easy of use, low cost , good interface

What do you dislike?

Incremental backup many time failed on backup and now solutions shown

Recommendations to others considering the product

Smart, easy, high quality backup software

Low cost and high quality backupa for vmware infrastracture

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Jonathan D.
Jonathan D.

"Best Backup tool for VMWare"

What do you like best?

When it comes to during full and incremental backups of VMWare VM's, I have yet to find a better product.

What do you dislike?

The speed of backup is slightly slower than some other solutions that I tried during my initial evaluations, but overall pricing and capability won out.

Backing up a large number of VM's. We ended up being able to set up multiple backup jobs with multiple different classes of storage

"Backups utility "

What do you like best?

Value for money is fine and does the job, interface simple and user friendly

What do you dislike?

I have always liked the personal touch, so what I dislike most is the ownership changed

Recommendations to others considering the product

simple, cheap and it works.

We uses it to backup all our Virtual Machines as we are developers, we need to make sure that our entire software versions are properly and safely stored in our backups devices.

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by David S.
David S.

"Finally, affordable and reliability."

What do you like best?

Easy of setup, speed of backups, notifications.

What do you dislike?

Failures can be vague. Need better descriptions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it 7 days and you will join us...

As a VMware shop, we are constantly backing up VMS. The fact that you can actually replicate and start a backed-up VM is awesome. It's one of our most favorite parts.

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Peter H.
Peter H.

"HPExplorer"

What do you like best?

I like the price the most as it's cheaper than most solutions and gives us more insight and retention in our backups

What do you dislike?

I wish it had more robust features for vcenter server. I wish we could get more enterprise options for less money

Definitely solving retention of full images for disaster reasons

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Administrator in Dairy
Administrator in Dairy

"Simple, yet powerfull backup solution"

What do you like best?

The simplicity and reliability. We do not need to educate our backup personal.

What do you dislike?

That the application is only webbased - it would be nice to have the application/program interface aswell

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy to manage, very reliable and quick support

Administrative cost effective - very simple so manage

"IT-Consultant with 21 y Exp."

What do you like best?

Simple to use. host to host backup and replication.

What do you dislike?

Failed backups and failed replications. Log fil do not shows final reslutat until end of task.

Disaster Recovery site.

"Problem with resiliency. "

What do you like best?

Makes it less expensive and less complex to backup VMs for smaller businesses

What do you dislike?

The service stops for no apparent reason.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at a more resilient package.

Restore failed VMs

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Administrator in Medical Devices
Administrator in Medical Devices

"1a Software for Backup, Replikation on VMWARE Servers"

What do you like best?

Easy to use software, Fast backup. Easy to install. Very Smart.

What do you dislike?

Since some Versions no Windows Desktop avalable. Only Webservice.

Fast Backup to many Servers, NAS, SAN.

"4 Years "

What do you like best?

Software HPE VM Explorer is easy to install.

What do you dislike?

Performance for restoring on file level is poor;

UI only available for browser;

Backup VM environment;

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Administrator in Renewables & Environment
Administrator in Renewables & Environment

"Evaluation"

What do you like best?

Web Console and illimitate ESXi Server managed

What do you dislike?

For the price pajed I'd like anymore...............

Fast and rapid server replacement and resolving backup problems

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by yves v.
yves v.

"je n'en ai aucune"

What do you like best?

les serveurs, les switche et portable , atblette

What do you dislike?

le service après vente et aussi le suivi

tout ce qui est réseau

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"我推薦的VM備份軟體"

What do you like best?

簡單易用,設定也很容易,尤其是排程設定很簡單,也讓VM更安全,很容易復原,無須關閉VM就能備份是很好的設計

What do you dislike?

web方式的設定反而讓使用時很不容易看得懂,原來的Legacy Mode的設計儉樸易懂也好用

主要解決備份的問題還有檔案上下載的問題,排程備份可以節省管理的人力

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Inexpensive software to support vmware environments"

What do you like best?

The software works with free esxi. It is a very good value for the money spent.

What do you dislike?

The new forced web interface model is a step back from the older interface

vm backup and recovery

Micro Focus VM Explorer review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"HPE VM Explorer is a solid, cost effective and easy to use backup solution for ESXi"

What do you like best?

Restores virtual machines flawlessly and consistently.

What do you dislike?

Discontinuation of local application in favor of web based app.

Reliable backups of ESXi virtual machines that can be restored easily and consistently.

Learning about Micro Focus VM Explorer?

* We monitor all Micro Focus VM Explorer reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.