Microsoft Dynamics GP

Microsoft Dynamics GP (formerly Great Plains) software delivers comprehensive out-of-the-box business management functionality, from operations management and financial management to human resource management and manufacturing. It connects the many moving parts of your organization, giving you better visibility into and control over what's going on in your business.

Work for Microsoft Dynamics GP?

Learning about Dynamics GP?

Microsoft Dynamics GP Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 178 Dynamics GP reviews
Dynamics GP review by Logan K.
Logan K.

"Straightforward software"

What do you like best?

The best part about MS Dynamics GP is the ability to "copy and paste" journal entries into the General Journal entry window from any Excel workbook. The integration is as easy as highlighting an array of cells which contain a description, account, debit, and credit for each line item in the journal entry. I am also a very large fan of the smartlist feature. Smartlists basically let you build queries using their user-friendly interface. They will return anything (in tabular form) that doesn't require too complicated of join structures on the back end (database).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the software can run a bit slow. This may not be MS Dynamics GP's fault. Either way, it should be noted. For whatever reason, it can take a very long time for trial balances to generate. Also, the program can take a while to start up as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a solid support team. Typically, this would be a 3rd party vendor. If I'm not mistaken, our consultants have been key in troubleshooting any issues we've had arise over the last couple years. Furthermore, they were the ones who created the aforementioned integration with MS Excel.

MS Dynamics GP is accounting software. So, we are using it as our general ledger. The software makes sure the typical accounting controls are adhered to (debits = credits, user restrictions, etc.). The software appears to tackles all of these things sufficiently.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Microsoft Dynamics GP
Dynamics GP review by Bobbi M.
Bobbi M.

"Great Plains Review - Large Company"

What do you like best?

I like that Great Plains interacts well with our reporting tool. I also like that you can set up inter-company relationships (as we have many). It's also nice that I can set up recurring batches, smart lists, and other items that I do monthly to save time. It is also nice that we can integrate an entry into one company and push it all to all the others.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there is not an option to close all of our databases for the month all at one time. We have close to 90 databases and we have to go into each database each month and close each module. It is a 4 hour process, sometimes longer depending on how fast our systems are running.

We are solving the problem of how to report our numbers in a way that multiple people can access the system at once. Benefits realized include integrations, smart list research, easy year-end close process.

What ERP Systems solution do you use?

Dynamics GP review by Prudence P.
Prudence P.

"I use Microsoft Dynamics GP for corporate accounting."

What do you like best?

I use Microsoft Dynamics for general ledger purposes, generating reports and financial statements. My locations use Quickbooks and this data is imported into Microsoft Dynamics since Quickbooks can not handle multiple location reporting. Microsoft Dynamics provides detail reporting which is useful for balancing and budgeting. The reports are available in detail and summary format. It's easy to save the report you've created. The reports can be exported to Excel but the out put is not very easy to use without editing. We use FRX report writer to achieve detailed financial statements from the data in Microsoft Dynamics.

What do you dislike?

The account payable module in Microsoft Dynamics is complicated and not user friendly. Entering payables required creating a batch, entering each payable and then posting the batch. To cut checks, a batch had to be created, select payables and then post the batch after processing the checks. We stopped processing our corporate accounts payable through Microsoft Dynamics and now use Quickbooks for this function.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I find Microsoft Dynamics difficult to navigate through. It takes time to figure out how to get the reports you need. Accounts Payable is fine but not user friendly. It's difficult to correct errors.

We use Microsoft Dynamics solely for General Ledger purposes. All of our data is imported into Dynamics so that we can general reports and financial statements. We post monthend and correcting journal entries through Microsoft Dynamics. We use access to import large repetitive type journal entries.

"User Friendly"

What do you like best?

The smartlists are what I use the most for my job function. They make it easy to use various filtering modes to get what we need. We have the most basic model so what we have works for what we've needed.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it doesn't confirm when you do tasks. You dispatch a call to someone, there's no response going, done! or complete! You have to hope that it did what you wanted it to, we will soon be having an upgrade to our system and from what I've seen it will streamline the process much better. When invoicing currently we are required to open each window to adjust and now we will have the ability to review without going in to each one.

It's the best for calculating out payroll and billing needs, as long as it's programmed correctly.

Dynamics GP review by User

"Potentially Powerful, Limited Out Of Box"

What do you like best?

The best part of Microsoft Dynamics GP is the large user base, which means an active online community to find help, and many actively developed related plugins and services.

What do you dislike?

For a Microsoft product, GP is disappointingly half baked. Just for a few examples, for AP transaction entries, it is far too easy to move between different batches without even noticing it. My team accidentally edits or deletes each other’s transactions on a regular basis. Another huge issue is the check printing function. If you have more than one user, it is far too easy to mess each other up, with the check numbers regularly going off track and requiring a manual reset to the correct number. There are so many reports that cannot be reproduced after closing the output window. Accidentally closed something you meant to print? Tough luck; it’s gone forever. Reports and data retrieval via Smart List and the like are sorely lacking. You can’t even pull transaction entries by G/L coding. There are so many seemingly basic features that cannot easily or at all be utilized without paying for additional plugins or resorting to SQL hackery (assuming you even have access to do so. No one in my entire branch is authorized.). The 1099 tracking system is sorely lacking. I would like to see a more sophisticated way of storing W-9 information and have GP itself kept up to date with various IRS reporting requirements. The vendor address card system is a joke. There’s not even a place to officially store email addresses? Come on.

Basic AP/AR accounting routines

Dynamics GP review by User in Machinery
User in Machinery

"Archaic "

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of Great Plains and the ease of navigating how to get to a transaction. The transactions are also easy to understand as you are going through so it is helpful for beginners to walk their way through it even without directions.

What do you dislike?

The interface itself seems very old and doesn't look nice, as well as the screen print outs for the transactions. It is frustrating that there is no way to import or export to Excel unless you have an add-on - it is very incompatible with all of our other functions. Additionally, many of the transactions take too long to post - for example approval of time cards.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the interface cleaner and nicer - and make it easily compatible with Excel without needing an add-on. We also recently tried the Titanium GP add-on but have had so many issues we haven;t been able to utilize that either.

We use Great Plains for all of our project accounting so our main transactions are inventory transfers, miscellaneous logs, and journal entries. We no longer use it for AR and AP, but we still use it for basically everything else.

Dynamics GP review by Erik H.
Erik H.

"One of the worst accounting systems I have ever used"

What do you like best?

I really didn't like this system at all. This was at a former employer and I didn't find the system to be user friendly. But in all fairness, that company didn't keep their programs up to date, so it is possible that I was using an old version.

What do you dislike?

Everything. It's not intuitive, it doesn't have drill-down capabilities that I think it needs. It really isn't user friendly. I actually found SAP to be a better tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend utilizing the entire system, don't implement select parts and ignore others. Full integration would probably improve the usefulness of this software.

They were trying to use the system for their accounting processes. However, they kept a number of things separate, purchase orders for one, receiving of purchase orders related to inventory and the actual inventory were maintained on in house created mainframe software.

Dynamics GP review by Angelia P.
Angelia P.

"GP for Managing Employee Records"

What do you like best?

I like how you are able to generate specific reports using various categories to sort through large quantities of data and export it into an excel spreadsheet. It makes my job easier since in my company there is very high turnover.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the amount of screens you have to go into in order to find some information about employees. It should be streamlined to allow for data to be accessible through less windows. Data should be able to be downloaded into a savable document such as the check file reports so that you don't always have to print out the reports on paper.

Managing employees benefits is a big part of my job. This program allows me to manage premiums year to year so that all deductions are up to date. The benefits of this program allows me to view these changes each week.

Dynamics GP review by Julio C.
Julio C.

"Powerful, yet easy to use"

What do you like best?

Although it takes a few days to learn the ropes and some tasks may be repetitive, it's easy to get the hang of it.

What do you dislike?

Some tasks, such as adding information for a third party who is paying for a customer in Point of Sale, takes a while; even more so when you need to remove the third party and replace it with a different one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

After having used a different, more "modernized" POS system, I like Great Plains even more. It has been around for a very long time, does what it's supposed to do and it does it well.

We use Great Plains as our POS system for many years and it has been very reliable for the most part.

"Great PAINS!"

What do you like best?

The AIT module for intercompany transactions is convenient.

What do you dislike?

It's the 21st Century, Windows 10 is out, and for some reason Microsoft thinks it's just fine to produce a extremely cumbersome POS program like this. \

Specific gripes:

No easy search tool

1) You've got to pray to god you printed backup or finding intercompany journal entries, AIT transactions, or A/P or A/R module transactions will prove very laborious.

2) No easy way to reverse or correct a JE

3) No easy way to export to Excel (even though this is a Microsoft Program? WTF Microsoft)

4) The program is constantly acting buggy and causing errors and you've got to hire a sub contractor for support.

5) Not user friendly in the slightest, lacks a lot of shortcut keys and simple user ergonomics to make working with the program easier and more productive.

All in all Microsoft GP is an absolute complete POS accounting software, SAP is much much better if you just want to spend a lot of money, frustrate the hell out of your accountants and make everyone's life more difficult. Quickbooks on the other hand is a lot better, has features the big box programs only have wet dreams about, costs a lot less and is sold by a company that believes in their product so much that they actually provide their own support.

PS. I've used a lot of accounting programs, some less sophisticated and more sophisticated than GP and by far GP is the most frustrating, glitch ridden accounting software I've ever had to work with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Save your money and your sanity. Find a good Quickbooks pro, buy the most expensive version you can, set it up and use it right from the beginning and you'll never have an issue.

This program has only caused us problems, countless of hours is lost productivity, and trying to find work arounds just to get the program to perform basic functions.

Dynamics GP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Not the most user friendly"

What do you like best?

Thankfully, I dont have to use GreatPlains very often and that is my favorite part.

What do you dislike?

I dislike most of everything. It's is not user friendly. You can't "delete" an item or a record as you can in most systems. It's interaction with other programs is flawed at best (and we don't even have it connected to other programs because its just causes issues).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I feel like this software is stuck in 1998. My company seems to do constant "upgrades' but nothing really changes. It is great for purchasing, but I think we could accomplish the same functions through other software that we already utilize.

We use it for purchasing and invoicing. It keeps our records well with multiple search functions to find old records.

Dynamics GP review by Nicole S.
Nicole S.

"Excellent Reporting Functions"

What do you like best?

It works seamlessly with all other office products & makes running reports a breeze! I can simultaneously run four different reports and compile those reports with thousands of results into one spreadsheet in minutes. This has helped my efficiency immensely.

What do you dislike?

My biggest complaint with Great Plains is it how laggy it can be. Depending on what I'm trying to do -- which reports I'm trying to pull, etc, it can take forever for certain things to load. I've noticed in the past 30-60 days or so that it's been a little better than normal, so I hope they're improving this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A little patience in the training period - there are so many options, it can be overwhelming at first.

I've had so many phone calls with vendors/clients where they've needed information we didn't expect them to need -- Great Plains has made their reporting functionality so easy, I can run these while on the phone with the client and have it in their inbox before the end of our call.

Dynamics GP review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Detailed and organized"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use when it comes to creating invoices and credits, keeping track of posted documents and batches. This is a tool and program I use daily all throughout the day with all different uses.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the inability to customize and control the look and feel of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend spending quality time learning the programs ins and outs. It can be a tool for all needs.

We are solving problems with invoices not being paid on time, having invoices made a created on time to send out to our customers/buyers, we are solving the issues of managing our inventory in our warehouse also.

"Dynamics GP for AP"

What do you like best?

Microsoft GP is good accounting system. As AP Supv. I use it daily. Set up and maintenance of vendors and customers is quick and easy. Currently we do not have the ability to scan documents into GP. Manual invoice entry can go quickly, especially with hard coded accounts.GP becomes intuitive with use. We have the Multi-Facility function and it we are able to use g/l natural codes across all the facilities. Smart Lists are a time saver, modifying an existing Smart List is easy.

What do you dislike?

It does take a while to get used to where you are, the screens are very similar. Granting user permissions are tricky, they are tied in groups. You can't choose a specific permission, all or nothing for the group. We do not use the inventory module. For us it is a waste, and functions are tied to it.

Aging reports don't transfer to Excel.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GP works best with warehouse, inventory or manufacturing. We don't use those features which are integrated to the accounting modules.

Issuing W9s for the tax year is tedious. GP has the ability to get them out quickly, even through Multi-Facility. About 2 years ago they updated to include printing the 1096 transmittal form - yay

Ease of drill down under Inquiries, lets you see invoices with payment and credit details.

Dynamics GP review by User in Higher Education

"use it as customer relations management system"

What do you like best?

I like that it has the ability to locate duplication and you can create service appointments that connects to outlook. Several people can make an appointment and have you as the owner. This allows our front staff to check in students faster.

What do you dislike?

It's a sales system so words like "sales" or "customer's are not usually words we describe our documentation system. Event "marketing" sounds weird. It's a matter of getting use to the wording of the system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it's customizable but it takes a while to build it to meet the any company's need.

We are using it to store our interactions with others. It's efficient enough to use it.

Dynamics GP review by William Z.
William Z.

"Software is good and much better than the one it replaced"

What do you like best?

The ease of handling multiple companies and multiple lines of businesses. Online help is very extensive and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The software has many reports upon posting which should be setup to auto archive rather than just discarded. Fixed asset portion of the Financial module is cumbersome and does not have reports such as "Current year additions and Disposals" which would be useful at year end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure other programs are compatible with GP. Make sure you have a good 3rd party implementer to assist with the conversion.

Speed and accuracy of the financial data used in operations reporting and internal financial reporting. Having statistical accounts which can be displayed on the financial statements make correlating performance with KPI better and more understandable.

Dynamics GP review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Corporate Office Use of Microsoft GP"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Dynamics GP is a well rounded software. It is very straight forward, with not a lot of background details needed to understand. GP is great for the corporate office that I work for. It allows every position in our office to understand the GL and how items flow through consolidation.

What do you dislike?

Some of the smartlist associated with Dynamics GP can be a little hard to manipulate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would take the time to do your research on Microsoft Dynamics GP to really understand all that it can do to help the user and company throughout the periods.

We use Dynamics GP for a corporate office. It allows us to easily track and understand our expenses and income throughout the month,

Dynamics GP review by Michelle D.
Michelle D.

"Needs a little work"

What do you like best?

The smartlist allows for a massive search of the GL. This search can basically eliminate many reports.

What do you dislike?

In the cash module, you must post prior to review. You should be able to save so you don’t have to back entries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be very careful in the cash models. Never simply delete like a JE. The two are very different.

Accounting by hand would be truly painful. For the most part, it’s a good program.

Dynamics GP review by Karissa B.
Karissa B.

"This program does what it is supposed to for our organizations wants and needs at this time"

What do you like best?

There are several features that I find quite beneficial. Such as the ability to see when new stock is due to arrive or tracking information availability for products shipped to customers.

What do you dislike?

There are features that could prove to be quite useful that do not seem to be available. However, it is hard to say if GP is missing these features or if my organization has not implemented them. An example would be including links to picking tickets or an area where we can attached a project folder. These are both things I seek often and must switch back and forth between GP and our shared drives. Also, organization sometimes seems to be an issue. I find it hard to find information that I am looking for; sometimes the information is buried deep under many other options you have to click through to find it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend getting used to the product before utilization as well as investing in some training time for employees. The program can be confusing as some information is hidden quite deep within the platform. Sending employees off onto websites such as Lynda.com is something I have found to be extremely useful.

Product information integration and tracking. Generally used to track products status, track products shipping status, and order status. Also used for many accounting features by other employees of the organization. Order numbers and invoicing numbers are easily inputted, found, and searched for.

"Great Basic GL system"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Dynamics GP has a simple, easy to use interface. The menus are easily customized to your liking. GP 2015 has an easy to use paste function for importing journal entries. Exporting reports to excel is a nice feature. I bet there are more workflow features that my team would find useful, but we don't really have much time to explore the software, we just kind of use it for immediate needs. Being able to change the printer after selecting the option to print has been huge. It took them way to long to add this feature!

What do you dislike?

The reporting out of Microsoft Dynamics GP could be more robust. Getting to basic information takes more steps than it should. I wish there were more shortcuts so you could complete basic recurring tasks faster. I also wish switching between companies within GP was faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great basic solution for GL accounting needs, I recommend it.

Microsoft Dynamics GP is a great basic solution to our GL accounting needs. It doesn't take much training to get users started w/ the basic knowledge to complete their assigned tasks.

Dynamics GP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Enterprise functionality at an SMB Price"

What do you like best?

It works consistently and reliably. Enormous functional capabilities aside I feel like accounting systems need to be accurate, consistent, and work all the time. It also has an incredibly deep ecosystem of third party applications that extend the base functionality of GP. You can't do it in GP? There's an app for that.

What do you dislike?

Dexterity. I mean, come on already, it's 2016. I guess I should temper my lack of love for Dexterity with my previous comment because, after all, it's ancient code that still works after all these years but it doesn't lend itself to any real native development on the application itself. Integration it's fine, but it's a bit of a developmental black box.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a good look. This is not your father's "Great Plains". Dynamics GP 2013 and above, especially GP 2015 and 2016 is legit mid-market competition for Oracle, SAP, Infor, etc... in the mid-market without the price, complexity, and overhead of those products. Ever upgraded Oracle? If you have you know what I'm talking about.

Accounting, finance and operational reporting. Prof Services management. The benefit we've realized from using it as the transactional/informational backbone of our entire business is that it drives consistency and compliance. We also have it integrated to Dynamics CRM and our Field Service Management and Time tracking applications.

Dynamics GP review by Mateus M.
Mateus M.

"Microsoft GP integrates many cross-functions between inventory management and sales"

What do you like best?

It is nice to track sales back by any date, and to extract inventory data to excel. Actually, you can extract almost any data to excel, which allows a lot of customized work to be done.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to learn how to use in the beginning. It is not a very "user friendly" tool. Without proper training, there will be a lot of struggles. But once you learn how to use it, it becomes simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please focus on training before you start, it can save you a lot of time.

The tracking sales part helps to check receivables, and helps to create accurate sales reports.

Dynamics GP review by Cameron F.
Cameron F.

"Great software, but not the right fit for our company"

What do you like best?

The software has great functionality, and a host of customizable features.

What do you dislike?

This software is very capable of a whole host of accounting/financial operations, albeit not initially super intuitive to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know what Microsoft Dynamics GP's capabilities are, and make sure they align with your business needs.

My company uses Microsoft Dynamics GP for all of our invoicing, payables, and accounting needs.

Dynamics GP review by Nicole S.
Nicole S.

"Very strong controls but is a pain to work with"

What do you like best?

I like the integration feature the best, the system makes it easy to upload invoices, journal entries and other files without hassle.

What do you dislike?

The system can be very temperamental. I understand the importance and how strong the controls are but it is difficult to reprint posting journals or delete an accidental posting or entry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely do a trial run to see if it's best for you no your team. i don't think I would recommend this for smaller teams.

Currently we are trying to add business units and Dynamics definitely supports this feature and allows us to customize what we need. Also the strong controls has helped us in our internal audit.

Dynamics GP review by Philippe A.
Philippe A.

"Solid product "

What do you like best?

GP is a solid product. I use it everyday and work would be impossible without it. The accounting functionality is fantastic, and the interface is super.

What do you dislike?

Although the software has a lot to offer for jobs in finance and accounting, it still has its limitations. For example, there isn't an option to post entries in a single spot for a multiple-entity company without having to switch legal entities in GP. There should be a single master entity where everything can be done. There are many other little limitations that I could list, but the list would be too long.

GP has the ability to clearly separate AR work and AP work into their own respective modules producing very unique reports. Furthermore, it has the tools to easily solve accounting discrepancies with very little effort.

User in Accounting

"Useful, but not userfriendly"

What do you like best?

It is very convenient to have all accounting functions linked into the general ledger. AP, AR, Payroll, Inventory, Sales Order Entry are all in one place.

What do you dislike?

GP's internal reporting tools are lacking. The Smart List is helpful, but time consuming, the stock reports are not easily customized. Your best bet is to get a good SQL report writer to supplement your GP use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For mid-sized corporations that have adequate, dedicated IT personnel, this is a great system. For those looking for something user-friendly, or to outsource the "systems" aspect of an ERP system, keep looking.

We are consistently discovering new tools within GP to help our business grow. We have solved difficult personnel issues by reducing staff through automation in GP and created numerous EDI feeds that eliminate human data entry and errors.

Dynamics GP review by User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
User in Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

"GP from an Accounting Manager's point of view"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use and GPUG offers a lot of support when you have questions. My favorite feature is the ability to create a smartlist with all of the information that I need and being able to easily export it to Excel.

What do you dislike?

I wish the process of creating additional reports was a little easier. The fixed assets module is somewhat confusing to get setup but it works very smoothly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Product is easy to use and has been around for a very long time. All modules are follow the same format which makes it easy to find your way around. Microsoft and GPUG also contribute to a supportive environment around the product. Lots of educational webinars and videos are available online

We use it for AR,AP, Fixed Assets, Manufacturing and Inventory Contol

Dynamics GP review by Matt K.
Matt K.

"Decent Alternative to Salesforce"

What do you like best?

The price when added to an existing office description is a great option for smaller companies.

What do you dislike?

Interface is difficult to use and is not always intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good alternative to Salesforce to smaller companies that can't afford cost/upkeep of Salesforce.

Using Microsoft Dynamics has reduced unnecessary communication within our office and has been an adequate CRM for both our Sales and Operations team.

Dynamics GP review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Very robust and powerful accounting and inventory management program"

What do you like best?

What I like best about the program is the robust reporting tools, ease to export data using Smart List tool and the very comprehensive inventory module that allows for building inventory, different costing methods and inventory tracking.

What do you dislike?

The program is not very intuitive at first, it requires a lot of training, but once you get use to the interface environment it becomes easier to handle.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a very complete program, but only necessary if you need to manage inventory at multiple levels (raw materials, components, finished product, BOMs, etc.). Make sure the staff is properly trained and supported.

We have solved our inventory management issues. I has been a great tool to get exact costing and margins for our diverse product pool that includes product manufacturing, product kits, etc.

Dynamics GP review by David S.
David S.

"GP review"

What do you like best?

Dynamics GP is the way that accounting, financials and inventory management should be. It's not the most pretty thing to look at- but it gets the job done and gets it done well. It has tons and tons of options for everything under the sun. The best part is that it can be customized with lots of front end apps that tie into the back end database. This gives it a bunch of flexibility.

What do you dislike?

Could look a bit more "pretty", but don't have anything negative to say at this time.

We're solving the entire companies problems by using GP. Everything from financials, to inventory management, to using a program called Starship to even get all the product shipped out the door.

Dynamics GP review by John O.
John O.

"Innovative and constantly improving features"

What do you like best?

Microsoft has gone above and beyond with Dynamics GP. We are currently on release 2013 and came from version 8.0. I have setup Dynamics GP from scratch in different version and I can tell you that MS has improved GP for the better in each version over time. They are listening to the customer instead of just doing what they think is best for various industries. Customer opinions matter when it comes to this product and you can see this in the newest version, GP 2015.

What do you dislike?

Too many 3rd party apps to do what you want. I believe GP should include more functionality supported directly from Microsoft. I understand why they don't have certain products and MS can't support everything out there, but they should pull the top 3 or so products that customers use as a whole and consider making them part of the core product on a 3 year basis.

Also, Microsoft products should work with MS products! I've seen a few 'workarounds' to get GP and other various MS products to "talk" together when they should already be doing this. There also has been no MS GP 64 bit version at this point and 64 bit technology / software has been out for some time now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended to hire or train someone to become your 'in-house' MS GP expert. You will save a lot of money overtime getting someone in house hired or trained to be the GP expert in your business. External consultants are expensive and add up pretty quickly over time. Plus, you are also subject to be on their time which can delay projects. Having your own in-house expert will make a huge different in implementation and support when something goes wrong.

We have been able to centralize many of our sites billing into our corporate office giving us more control over billing and vendor invoicing. This enabled us to do cost analysts and save money for our company. We were able to save money by combining various vendors and provide better solutions to our customers.

Dynamics GP review by User in Computer Software

"Dynamics GP makes life easy"

What do you like best?

Dynamics GP has a very intuitive user interface that allows transactions to be processed quickly and easily. It can be installed and up and running relatively quickly and is flexible to scale from the smallest client to a rather large client pretty easily.

What do you dislike?

Security can be a challenge - it's not the most intuitive product when you want to set up specific roles or add security functionality to roles or users. It also doesn't offer a way to easily flow from one business process to the next - some additional workflow options would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend becoming a member of GPUG (GP user group) community as there is a ton of useful information out there to be had and lots of users in the community that can share experiences. Also, I would recommend that you find an experienced partner to help you implement as there are certain settings that need to be looked at carefully upon initial implementation.

The benefits of using GP and problems solved are that it allows for much greater flexibility and scaling as a business grows than a product like Quickbooks does but it's not as complicated as some of the other ERPs out there.

Dynamics GP review by Consultant

"Built in basic functions but not too much functions"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Dynamics GP is so simple to use and build the system.

Due to system restriction, customer needs to standardize his system.

What do you dislike?

Microsoft Dynamics GP has less customizability and hard to develop custom codes.

Sometimes, it takes much time to build needed function.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many restrictions in this software but it would a change to standardize and simplify your operation.

Microsoft Dynamics GP covers standard ERP modules, especially for sales, purchase, inventory, simple manufacturing, AR, AP, Bank and GL modules.

"It works!!"

What do you like best?

There are so many options and modules for this MS GP that all aspects of your organizations accounting functions can be supported with this software.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how often times the functions are not intuitive. I have had to resort to forums and google to find issues that arise while using the software.

I have begun to use GP ability to create EFT files to assist our goal of becoming more efficient in our processes and globally sustainable.

"User-friendly program."

What do you like best?

I liked that you could drill down on a lot of different things to view related information.

What do you dislike?

Having to create a batch in order to post a document.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a program to encompass your entire business, this product is for you. You can handle all aspects from A/P to A/R to Accounting. It also allows you to create your own GL account formation. The ability to customize the program to fit our needs was a key point.

The program was easy to use, so it didn't take long to ramp up on it. It was also easy enough to use that the engineers and truck drivers were able to interact with it.

Dynamics GP review by Dov Y.
Dov Y.

"Good GUI, but difficult to navigate"

What do you like best?

The fact that it is a Microsoft product means that there is some standard as far as buttons, navigation and astheatics. I liked how it interfaced with other Microsoft software making the reporting, receipts and other elements seemless.

What do you dislike?

It felt clunky at times. Having to press a number of seeming extra buttons to do a task. It seemed to crash or break more often than other inventory tracking software I've used.

A large inventory of building products and CMS tracking.

Dynamics GP review by Umar H.
Umar H.

"Reasonable"

What do you like best?

Sql setup in the back end that allows for integration with SSRS reporting. Also has a decent audit trail. Further integrating with quick-tags software can show support for transactions instantly. JE's are pretty straightforward. Would like to be able to easily remove certain functionality that are not used like inventory etc. Also Management reported is a nice add-on also. It is the add ons that really give the software alot of power and additional capabilities.

What do you dislike?

Not as user friendly as some of the smaller off the shelf software's. Also customization is not as straight forward and required quite a bit of assistance from outside consultants. There is a requirement for quite a few add-ons if you really want to be able to fully experience the power of the software. Intercompany accounting very poor in the software and you have to keep setting up different companies and different gl instead of a single interface where different entities can be set up. Also their web help portal is not the best. Note that the price point is not that cheap either so not really feasible for small NPO's or mom and pop shops..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind that external consultants and implementation costs can really blow up your budget.

Up to reporting and data availability to decision makers. After integration with SSRS, was able to develop some really nice dashboards. Also was able to update our GL and be able to keep all financial data along with support (quicktags) in one place.

Dynamics GP review by Administrator in Mental Health Care
Administrator in Mental Health Care

"Has it's ups and downs"

What do you like best?

I like that it's a flexible and supports many different types of organizations

What do you dislike?

I don't like the fact that you can't turn off things that you don't use, and when it comes time to get data out of of GP manually (through SQL), you have TONS of tables that you don't care about. It makes things very difficult.

The biggest problem is having a system that can be customized and do everything needed without requiring a ton of time and money to set things up. That being said, I don't find a lot of benefits in GP, which is why we are switching to another platform at the end of next month.

"Easy & Complicated "

What do you like best?

I like that this software was very easy to learn.

What do you dislike?

I strongly dislike how many steps I have to take to reverse/correct entries in this software. Deltek Costpoint is way easier

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore and use the batch option often. I think this software would work best in an environment where there isn't pressure to do everything NOW. It would be great if you had the time to review work before posting because correcting anything in this software is hard.

I am billing and issuing payments. Having recently upgraded our software, I now have the benefit of storing supporting docs along with the transactions I have entered.

"Great Plains"

What do you like best?

Great Plains is a great accounting software for businesses that are frequently audited. It has easy to follow trails and entries can't be deleted, they must be reversed out to maintain the trail and track every entry made.

What do you dislike?

Great Plans seems very outdated. As a company that switched from another software, it is not user friendly or pleasing to look at. Searching vendors is not very straightforward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not pretty to look at, but it gets the job done.

Great for auditing, easy to choose journal entries.

Dynamics GP review by Kevin L.
Kevin L.

"Good not great"

What do you like best?

Without having other softwares to compare...GP gets the job done.

What do you dislike?

Customiability and ease of using the program is off. Seems like the program isn't fluid for user-friendliness.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great software to switch up to but will still lack user-friendliness

It gets the job done to record financial data but seems to make the task a lot harder than necessary.

Dynamics GP review by User in Financial Services

"GP Review"

What do you like best?

Layout of menus and the Smartlist option. The Smartlist provides a lot of various reporting options.

What do you dislike?

The limitations for the various modules. We are a commercial real estate finance company, and we have found that GP does not suit our unique needs to record our finanical activities and then report on them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great product if you are a manufacturer or you are selling tangible products. This is a terrible product if you are in the service industry.

We are automating our A/P process now, and GP allows us to import invoices, and we use an external tool to auto-close the vouchers after the payment is made.

"Capable, but flawed"

What do you like best?

Extensive modules out of the box, huge amount of customization to fit needs.

What do you dislike?

Speed is atrocious, stability and reliability leave us constantly searching for ways to optimize.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Carefully consider how important serialized tracking is for you. If you require constant data pulls from the same tables, speed will take a hit.

serialized tracking for inbound and outbound shipments, finance and website management. tight integration of dynamics modules allows for consistent data, but when multiple people try to pull from the same tables, speed suffers greatly.

User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Awesome Product for ADP Integration"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to be able to integrate my payroll general ledger transactions into Microsoft Dynamics.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that we aren't on the most current version so I do not know what it has o offer that could make our processes easier and more efficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a product that is easy to use with a seamless integration from ADP Payroll this product will meet your needs. It is also convenient to use for AR and AP use while trial balance reports may be customized to your needs.

Business problems we are solving are being able to budget and track expenses while switching from having programs to service centers.

User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Microsoft Dynamics GP - Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

Easy to navigate and intuitive. The SmartList and other reports are helpful and easy to customize. My favorite part is the ability to paste journal entry details from an Excel document. It is easy to maintain the budget using Excel to import and export data.

What do you dislike?

Running trial balances and other reports repetitively can be tedious. There is no way to make a journal entry reversing after it has already been posted. I would like to be able to schedule reports for a future date and see a log of all scheduled reports.

Using this software to maintain the general ledger and accounts payable functions for an entity.

Dynamics GP review by Erika D.
Erika D.

"We use GP for everything from Payroll, HR, and AP"

What do you like best?

The multiple platform use. It is not functional for all areas and needs add ons that are expensive.

What do you dislike?

Not HR friendly, very restrictive for this function.

Tying AP in with Purchasing. Not many benefits.

Dynamics GP review by Executive Sponsor in Consumer Goods
Executive Sponsor in Consumer Goods

"GP is the financial tool for small/medium business"

What do you like best?

The ability to easily track all your financial positions. The way that it is integrated with other Microsoft products. The ability to export data

What do you dislike?

It is lacking in some of the insight driven areas like forward looking cash flow positions. It would also be great if it did automatic roll-up of certain things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good accounting software for the small to mid size business. Will get you what you need and keep track of expenditures with the GL

We were in need of a software that could take us from a small org to a medium org with many subs and companies.

This allowed us to complete this

Dynamics GP review by Administrator in Broadcast Media
Administrator in Broadcast Media

"Robust but Lacks Modern UX/UI"

What do you like best?

Some of my most used features are Account Detail and Smart List. I really appreciate the ability to export the Smart Lists to Excel. It makes analysis a lot easier. Also, the process of uploading a budget is straightforward and easy.

What do you dislike?

I think the UX/UI could be modernized a bit. There are elements that seem outdated and has possibility for improvement in terms of flow and style.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for small to medium sized companies.

Being able to upload budgets and having a centralized location for people to reference budget numbers is help. It helps to reduce the confusion of having an Excel spreadsheet as reference.

Dynamics GP review by User in Military
User in Military

"User friendly and intuitive "

What do you like best?

The ablity to run personalized smart lists. I use gp for accounting projects and being able to personalize what I need is helpful, I enjoy being able to export to excel and manipulate the data.

What do you dislike?

There is limitations to editing the information in gp on the accounts payable side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Explore smart lists it allows you to pull data and munipulte it easy.

Smart lists are allowing me to isolate 1099 vendors that need updated information. Some vendors don't have id number or addresses. A smart list will pull that info so we can edit it before we try to print 1099's and realize they are all wrong.

Dynamics GP review by Faith E.
Faith E.

"Not User-Friendly"

What do you like best?

This system has a lot of options and is great for accounting and inventory.

What do you dislike?

I think that this system has over complicated some features. Making even the smallest of changes is difficult or if you make a mistake when entering information, it's not always a simple process to fix.

Our company uses this system as our CMS and for inventory and purchasing mostly.

Dynamics GP review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"It does everything we need"

What do you like best?

Like the title states, it does everything we need. We currently have over 50 companies loaded and other than minor user permissions issues, we've never really had any major problems. Once we had to call support for assistance with an OOB.

What do you dislike?

A few of the users are sad that they removed FRX from the package.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be careful with the 'Enhancement Plan'. For years we overpaid on it expecting it to be a support contract. Boy were we sadly mistaken...

We use GP Dynamics and ProFX Engagement for all of our needs. Between the two, I think we're all set.

Dynamics GP review by Kristeen S.
Kristeen S.

"Review "

What do you like best?

Microsoft Dynamics GP was very good at what it does. Which it assisted with the cashelp flow, sales, etc in order to be organized.

What do you dislike?

It didn't grow with the company. As we got bigger, the software became obsolete and would not be able to be used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a small business, you'll love this. It helps a lot with organization and the likes.

I was helping the owner solve cash flow issues and reporting. He was not very organized so I helped a lot in that aspect.

Dynamics GP review by Internal Consultant in Computer Software
Internal Consultant in Computer Software

"Dynamics GP from an IT Perspective"

What do you like best?

There is great community support for Dynamics GP, between the user group, Microsoft CustomerSource, and Microsoft's MVP's. There's a week-long expo called Convergence sponsored by Microsoft which is attended by users, ISV's, and Microsoft people. There is an annual meeting of the user group (GPUG), There are manuals for various aspects of the software, like Inventory and Sales, and where the manuals fall short the MVP's do a great job of filling in on their websites. There is a rich set of add-on offerings from ISV's, who are encouraged by Microsoft.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is old and somewhat clunky. Some operations are very slow. It is week in manufacturing, and can be difficult to integrate with other software, depending on the particular task at hand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to others, talk to one or more Microsoft partners. Be aware that this is closed source software that plays nicely with others only to the extent that Microsoft permits (but Microsoft does attempt to be a good citizen most of the time).

We use GP for invoicing and receivables, payables, purchasing and receiving, inventory tracking, and returns management. We are able to process hundreds of invoices per day and thousands of customer accounts without much confusion. GP also gives us a central place to manage inventory, although it can be somewhat inflexible about that. The automatic purchase order generator saves time in our purchasing department.

Dynamics GP review by Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Internal Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Never a dull moment when you are a Dynamics GP admin!"

What do you like best?

- I found that Dynamics GP had a lot of online training materials regarding the product.

- Very simple user creation.

- Uses SQL Server which is very easy to query.

- Customization using the Dexterity library.

- Report writer is a very robust tool, it makes it very easy to build and customize reports.

- Newer versions of Dynamics GP uses SSRS to deploy and send reports, this makes it very easy for management to keep track of daily statistics.

- I like how they did away with FRx for the drill down reports, it was a good move by Microsoft to integrate the drill down reports directly into Dynamics GP.

- The amount of information on customer / partner source.

What do you dislike?

- There are way too many 3rd party applications that integrate with Dynamics GP. They really could corner the market if they would bring all of these apps in house. Some of these applications are home based and run / developed and supported by a single person. (example: e=mc2)

- The same interface and admin options since the beginning, they really need to make a customization admin window to customize what the users see. Allow them to set the colors of Dynamics GP.

- Update the dexterity library to include entity framework libraries.

- The error messages can be very convoluted, they should be easily read by the end users.

- The customersource network should come with chat/remote support. The current ticketing system takes too long to get things together.

- Lack of integration with Active Directory, Dynamics GP uses SQL Server authenticated accounts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have the money and are a big enough company SAP Business One is a really robust ERP system. Instead of needing a plethora of 3rd party applications you can simply customize your SAP Business One order to include those items.

The accounting department needed a solution that was better than peachtree and quickbooks.

Dynamics GP review by Internal Consultant in Education Management
Internal Consultant in Education Management

"Powerful piece of software that helps our Accounting and Bookstore teams keep everything in order. "

What do you like best?

Using the product with Microsoft Forecaster. I like that the program extracts real-time data from the General Ledger. The real time data extraction allows for highly accurate forecasts that helps our Accounting and Bookstore teams keep all of their finances in order. I also enjoy the Web-based interface, and that the program is very intuitive (if you're familiar with Excel, you'll be able to Microsoft Forecaster paired with GreatPlains.

What do you dislike?

The reporting piece of Mircrosoft GP leaves a lot to be desired. We have many end users who have trouble understanding and executing many of the reporting functionalities. It also takes a little while to get used to. Although I'm comfortable with the interface at this point, it was a little confusing adjusting initially. The interface looks a bit dated and can be hard to navigate with minimal training.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Update the interface to feel and look more modern. I think GP is a great piece of software, although the reporting tools aren't up to par with what many competitors offers in terms of ease of use, power, and customizing.

We use the software to work in unison with Microsoft Forecaster to anticipate enrollment numbers and revenue streams on a quarterly basis. In the education industry, your numbers can fluctuate drastically and without warning. This software has allowed us to identify trends, anticipate quarters of low enrollments, and bridge the gap between certain departments (such as Accounting and the Bookstore).

Dynamics GP review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"GP Review"

What do you like best?

I like being able to make smart lists in order to customize all of my searches and maintain visuals on all pending shipments/orders. Also makes for relatively easy Purchase orders as well as sales orders or inventory adjustments.

What do you dislike?

I dislike certain processes that freeze your computer or create endless pop up notifications of saying necessary actions have not been completed. I also dislike things that seem to be hidden within smartlists that pop up when you open in an excel document.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set aside a chunk for training because mistakes can be hard to go back and fix once things have been posted.

Inventory reconcile and management as well as receiving it items and incorporating landing costs.

User in Accounting

"Microsoft GP Accounting system "

What do you like best?

Trial balances and account lookup for reference are fairly quick to pull when you need to look into an account. The design of switching from one company or ledger to another is smooth.

What do you dislike?

The GP report designed occasionally crashes and it does not save all preferences, so if you run the same reports monthly you need to continuously adjust default settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Microsoft GP for small companies. The system can be customized for what start up companies need and uploads are smooth.

I use GO for P&L review, expense management and revenue reconciling.

"Dynamics DRM"

What do you like best?

fully functional, robust yet easy and integrates with email and CTI and marketing apps.

What do you dislike?

that you don't have the option to import excel details into the 'leads' module. it seems company and contact imports are done into the 'opportunity module'. I could be wrong.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Choose Dynamics GP because it integrates with their Dynamics CRM and outlook and all other types of marketing apps and call center apps.

Customer tracking and sales funnel management. Its the backbone of my all day working.

Dynamics GP review by User

"More reliable software to use in accounting "

What do you like best?

reports are more accurate. We manage all our invoices with this software it is the only software we use for our accounting.

What do you dislike?

The delete button is very easy to access. Should be a place that is not accessed easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If in your company you need to have an accurate report I will suggest using Microsoft Dynamics GP.

Using the software for our accounting purposes.

"Compatibility"

What do you like best?

The program is compatible with other program. I use Pro Systems and it is compatible for transferring data needed for many reports.

What do you dislike?

Having to call or email for technical support and waiting for technical support to correct issues at some times. HR and Payroll not connected for benefit and payroll.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure all data is transferred from previous program and that you make sure it provided all your needs.

It's a slow process but they do figure out our issues and send in a tech to update as soon as they figure out a fix for any problems we may encounter.

Dynamics GP review by Administrator in Construction
Administrator in Construction

"It does the job"

What do you like best?

It runs all the vital accounting, general ledger, and payroll functions that we want.

What do you dislike?

The training involved in learning new modules or functions usually takes a call to GP support to get through it which is not cheap

It lets us control our AP, GL, and payroll so we aren't relying on outside vendors for our information

Dynamics GP review by Donna D.
Donna D.

"We use this for payroll"

What do you like best?

I love the opportunity to track everything HR and payroll related in one place.

What do you dislike?

I am still struggling with the reports. I know the info is there, but I can extract it in the format I need to.

I love the opportunity to track everything HR and payroll related in one place.

Dynamics GP review by Jerimiah G.
Jerimiah G.

"Been using GP for 2 ½ years"

What do you like best?

It works well for us, but we also use ReQlogic and RegalPay bolt ons which help automate our Purchase Orders/Invoice Processing/Approval Workflows and Paying Invoices.

What do you dislike?

We have not had any issues with GP but we also aren't using all of the features available.

General Ledger

A/P

Dynamics GP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Good product, likely need updates"

What do you like best?

Since we have an in house server able to mine data fairly detailed.

What do you dislike?

Sure we are not using all features of the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I feel this product is being fazed out at this point and MS has other offerings that will likely suite medium size business better at this point.

Tracking time spend by support and implementations departments.

Dynamics GP review by User

"It would be great if it did more"

What do you like best?

Its good for basic needs. Maybe if we were still in the days of DOS or terminals , I can see using this product. The look and feels reminds me of using a 486 PC.

What do you dislike?

Reports are not as detailed as I would like. I literally have to create them from scratch or have IT assist us whenever a report is needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look elsewhere if you have a growing company with more than 1,000 monthly invoices.

Pulling prior year data for audit purposes. I am glad we switch to Oracle.

Dynamics GP review by Joel S.
Joel S.

"Microsoft Dynamics GP Review"

What do you like best?

I liked the fact that It is easy to configure, it is flexible, and I feel like it grows with our needs.

What do you dislike?

We may end up growing too large for the program and then have to learn a whole other level of programs and analytics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When in doubt, clarify with Microsoft Support.

Helping solve office accounting and management issues as well as develop best practice accounting strategies.

Dynamics GP review by User in Building Materials
User in Building Materials

"Easy once you are trained"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to record a purchase and have it integrate seamlessly with the rest of my system. Makes my work load much more bearable!

What do you dislike?

I don't see how certain actions affect other aspects of the system and I'd like to see how the whole operation talk to each other.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get plenty of training on GP so that you know what you're doing and the system will work to your advantage.

We currently don't have any to solve because GP has solved our main issues for us.

Dynamics GP review by Internal Consultant in Accounting
Internal Consultant in Accounting

"Microsoft Dynamics GP"

What do you like best?

I find the program easy to use and pretty intuitive.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the reporting within the software integrated better with Excel with the push of a button like Smart list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product. Easy to use once you get the hang of it. I believe it is important to get a good consultant and good training. You really do get what you pay for.

Accurate tracking of transactions. Ability to easily pull account detail with Smartest.

Dynamics GP review by Christopher G.
Christopher G.

"Not hard to use after using it a few times. I would be in and out in a matter of minutes."

What do you like best?

I liked being able to tab over, and have all of the data I entered displayed clearly in front of me. It helped that the tabs all made sense, as well.

What do you dislike?

It took a while to get through everything my first few times using it since it is very in depth, and has many menus and options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I never needed to contact support. Any issues we had would only be with getting inaccurate data, which was internal, so I don't have any real complaints about the program.

I used GP at my old job, and we used it when we were setting prices for new products we were having imported internationally. The benefits became (after I was used to using GP) the speed of which I could enter the information accurately, as well as the remote access.

"Powerful but dated"

What do you like best?

It has multiple benefits and can be a powerful tool if you have the time to manage it.

What do you dislike?

Seems a little disorganized. Seems like multiple softwares were just bolted on together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to take your time and have internal resources to manage the day to day

accounting and mfg

Dynamics GP review by Karim I.
Karim I.

"Good CRM "

What do you like best?

It's pretty fast to pull data and there are lot of ways to slice and dice your data

What do you dislike?

having used sales force and Dynamics it's not as easy to use as salesforce. there's also not as many plugins available

Managing customer relationships, business opportunities. A more organized way of tracking sales data than by email or excel

"MS GP"

What do you like best?

copy and paste feature when entering large journal entries

What do you dislike?

getting account detail, don't really like smartlist so have to use the p;rint to file function which can sometimes be slow

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you are a single small business w/ basic accounting functions this works, if you have more than one entity rolling up to a parent organization this can be cumbersome to use.

we use GP for all of our accounting, not really sure what the benefits are as i have worked on much more user friendly accounting software.

Dynamics GP review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"icrosoft Dynamics GP Accounts Payable module Simplify my daily task"

What do you like best?

"Smart list" the inquiry tool provides time consuming research, it provides inquiries to confirm vendors payment history preventing a possible duplicate payment, department heads request vendor history to help keep track of their monthly spend.

setting up my personal reports are easy, the online manual provides information to help me then waiting for assistance.

What do you dislike?

GP software is not being use to it full capacity, there are User who could provide vendor additional information i.e. remittance information to ACH vendors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Microsoft Dynamics GP accounts payable module provide a easy access to setup my own preferences for all my specific options

preventing duplicate payments and the historical vendor history.

Dynamics GP review by Kevin L.
Kevin L.

"GP"

What do you like best?

Web version is easier to navigate then the fat client version our company previously had

What do you dislike?

glitch in printing, system slows down when running smartlist query, and other tasks

We use for processing accounting transactions and not using it to solve problems

Dynamics GP review by Jennifer S.
Jennifer S.

"Dynamics GP"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, everything interacts together which leads to less duplication of entry for our employees.

What do you dislike?

We have no complaints about the product.

Time savings with entering payroll and processing invoices. We have saved money with efficiencies.

Dynamics GP review by Executive Sponsor in Financial Services
Executive Sponsor in Financial Services

"Great tool"

What do you like best?

For the cost, this is a great tool and really helps the marketing through sales process. I continue to be impressed with the updates. Look, it's not Salesforce.com, but it's also not nearly the same price. For a midsize company, great fit.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had more customizable functions similar to the App Store in Salesforce.com. This is basic smooth sales not complex models and vendor plans. It does the job but not much else.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Midsize company? Do it.

Analytics, speed, ratio management. All of those are helped with this tool. We are faster and more dynamic which is great and profitable. Plus, ROAS is up.

Dynamics GP review by Jason C.
Jason C.

"Efficient and Powerful"

What do you like best?

Really helped us to step up our accounting procedures and mange the P&L more efficiently. Easy to use, and easy to learn.

What do you dislike?

Could have more tie ins to other third party vendors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A great tool to use for mid to small sized businesses. As we grow our company into other locations we will see if it is sufficient.

Able to better manage the P&L.

Dynamics GP review by Carlos H M.
Carlos H M.

"CGT"

What do you like best?

Helped CGT with integration with O365. Worked seamlessly and easy add on with current O365 set-up. It gave them a better pipeline management tool.

What do you dislike?

Add Ons can get expensive. Really helpful to client

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have Office 365; works well and depending on customization is very reasonable

Pipeline Management and easy use as CrM

Dynamics GP review by Steven P.
Steven P.

"A product that performs it's job well"

What do you like best?

The capabilities of the product satisfy our accounting team

What do you dislike?

The UI and UX is severely lacking. It does not offer modern application design, but I cannot expect much from an accounting application.

GL and AP

Dynamics GP review by Executive Sponsor in Education Management
Executive Sponsor in Education Management

"Great Accounting software"

What do you like best?

The reporting functions are fantastic. The modules hep to configure the software to work as you need it.

What do you dislike?

The payroll function is absolutely deplorable. I know they are an accounting software giant, but they should leave payroll software to payroll companies. We have to manually manage several states, because what is provided does not make us legally compliant.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for accounting, terrible for payroll

It is our accounting solution across several states and nu,serous business units. We have customized each business unit by adding modules.

Dynamics GP review by David P.
David P.

"Able to support a very large corporation. Hard to learn all the intricacies"

What do you like best?

The windows within the UI are easy to customize. It has good reporting features already built in. the sql profiler makes it possible to trace what sql tables are being used.

What do you dislike?

The sql table structure is hard to learn. Developing in the database environment is difficult. The program has performance issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a solid support team

We are customizing the GP system heavily by adding automation. While web services is tricky to learn, it is possible with enough effort.

Dynamics GP review by Executive Sponsor in Management Consulting
Executive Sponsor in Management Consulting

"Makes Our Business Hum"

What do you like best?

Allows us to seamlessly manage information and client interaction in support of projects.

What do you dislike?

All of the bugs of the system are not worked out requiring assistance from our IT consultants.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Thoroughly evaluate on-premise solution versus cloud based to find the best match. Also, conduct a test with team members to ensure the ease of use and compatibility with systems and client work.

1. Project management and tracking: excellent tool to allow real-time tracking of projects.

2. Information sharing: provides all members of project team with relevant information when needed.

3. Document development: ability to share and update documents in a collaborative manner.

Dynamics GP review by Consultant in Accounting
Consultant in Accounting

"Best accounting software"

What do you like best?

Auditors have a hard time disproving this software. Lots of security

What do you dislike?

Reports are not always neat and readable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The investment is definitely worth it.

Manufacturing businesses benefit from GP. Sales, bills of material, vast variety of inventory options, GL accounts are expandable - it grows with your business

"Great product "

What do you like best?

Love having macros extremely easy to get around entering information purchase orders and customer orders is very fast and simple

What do you dislike?

Pulling things in inquiry mode not entry

Recommendations to others considering the product

Worth the move

Great customer support ease of inventory quick order entry

Dynamics GP review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"Intuitive for Accountants - Reporting Platform needs work"

What do you like best?

GP has a great platform for Accountants. It is very much a "Debit and Credit environment". Very easy to search transactions by customer/vendor or document number. Use of Analytical Accounting was helpful for tracking certain expenses.

What do you dislike?

Export from GP to Excel is non-existent - that is one of the biggest downsides. We also used Microsoft Dynamics reporting platform - Management Reporter - and there were lots of bugs to constantly work out with the SQL server. This required us reaching out to Dynamics customer service - and their service was not cheap! I always felt like they should have covered the additional support with Management Reporter since the issue was almost always a product issue!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good accounting software, but reporting functionality is lacking.

The biggest problem we were solving in using GP was usability for our Accountants. We were also able to set up a sales invoice and vendor invoice integration from our project management software directly into GP - which was a must have feature for us.

Dynamics GP review by Administrator

"GP Payroll is very time consuming"

What do you like best?

For payroll not much. Reports were fairly easy to use and correcting some things were easy.

What do you dislike?

Payroll calculations take for ever and if something is wrong you have to reverse the calculation fix and then recalculate again which can take up to 30 minutes for each calculation. We went from needing three days to process down to one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not sure how the accounting features are but payroll isn't recommended on this product.

None. No longer using.

Dynamics GP review by Sandip D.
Sandip D.

"Good ERP for large and small enterprise "

What do you like best?

The variety of things that it provides it very good. And the main use of it is providing the smartlist which is the one of the best features with small and medium usage

What do you dislike?

The software is very compact and clumsy. It is very hard to get used to it for a new user. Everybody afraid that they will click on something else will may create problem.

We have document management system which integrates with this software

Dynamics GP review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Reporting is Good but needs upgrade to be more user friendly "

What do you like best?

the Steps involved is easy for accessing reports

What do you dislike?

downloading report to excel is not easy we need to make additional steps for simple reports

smart list is not easy and this needs to eased for selection of columns while reports

Dynamics GP review by Tom H.
Tom H.

"Microsoft Dynamics GP"

What do you like best?

Given that Dynamics GP is a Microsoft product built atop the Microsoft stack (MSSQL, VB, .NET), it makes easy to incorporate Dynamics GP data with other data silos in the enterprise. It also made customization easier for business-specific tasks.

What do you dislike?

The Dynamics GP user interface was and remains dated and difficult to use. There were, as of version 11.0, still whole pieces of functionality that were missing (Tracking Numbers, etc). In addition, add-ons to the product to incorporate what one might assume to be necessary for businesses utilizing software such as this, such as internal EDI processing, were also lacking and had to be (expensively) purchased and incorporated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend looking closely at other options in the ERP solution space. Do not rely solely on the Microsoft imprimatur as a seal of quality. This product, due to licensing restrictions, will also make you very reliant on your MS Dynamics Solutions Partner.

The organization for which I was IT Manager was using highly outdated DOS-based accounting software as its sole line-of-business application. Customer service was using paper-based order tracking and homegrown MS Access applications for product, customer and order data.

Dynamics GP review by Tracy A.
Tracy A.

"Great Plains"

What do you like best?

That the employee data and benefits can be integrated

What do you dislike?

It is not the most user friendly system and does not have all of the latest updates.

We are not solving problems with this software

Dynamics GP review by Internal Consultant in Financial Services
Internal Consultant in Financial Services

"One of the best ERP"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup and use. Excel upload is very easy and quick. Best is you can pull any data dump using Smart list function

What do you dislike?

Does not have any option to define business hierarchy. Only way to define business hierarchy is segments in Chart of Accounts

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great ERP for medium to large businesses

Business problem was to setup one holding company with multiple group/sub-holding companies. Since it does not have option to define business hierarchy we had use chart of accounts segments to define this.

Dynamics GP review by Michael G.
Michael G.

"Leverage this tools for business analytics at a College."

What do you like best?

Ease of use and integration with Microsoft products (e.g. Excel). For Higher-Education customers, this product is often bundled with the educational discounts. This product is well-integrated with the Microsoft Suite of products. It is also well-integrated into back-office platforms and applications, and is quite customizable.

What do you dislike?

Legacy look-and-feel to some of the functionality. In general though, the product is very well designed, and is easily integrated into back-office platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your team is already familiar with pivot tables and the like, it should be an easy move to go to Microsoft Dynamics.

Analyzing large volumes of data and making informed decisions.

Dynamics GP review by User in Computer Software

"It works, but not the best."

What do you like best?

I like how you are able to create reports using different types of categories to sort through large quantities of data and then be able to export that data into an excel format

What do you dislike?

there were issues with lags and bugs within the product that made it sometimes difficult and frustrating

It did not help with productivity very much, I honestly dont think it helped our company so much at the time.

Dynamics GP review by Aaron E.
Aaron E.

"Billing Entry and Project reporting"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use and clear and concise displays, you understand where you are maneuvering.

What do you dislike?

I a little bulky, did not seem very user friendly on customization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software will meet all basic needs.

Good for invoicing and for timely billing to customers and easy to pull history.

Dynamics GP review by Joseph C.
Joseph C.

"Works really well with great features for tracking data"

What do you like best?

Ability to pull charts from any grouping of data I desire

What do you dislike?

Can be slow, but that is likely due to the company iteration of Dynamics, not Dynamics itself.

It is a customer relationship management tracking device that enables nearly every part of my sales funnel.

"All the basics."

What do you like best?

Dynamics GP has a high level of customization and provides all the features needed for an accounting system.

What do you dislike?

The interface can feel like a maze of text-only buttons and menus that is difficult to read and navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It provides everything needed, but a cloud-based and better designed product would be a nice to have.

We use Dynamics GP for Payables Management and Financial Reporting as well as our core general ledger.

Dynamics GP review by Renaud R.
Renaud R.

"Could be simplified"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that we are able to make some list with lots of criteria.

What do you dislike?

It could be simplified and sometimes the search doesn't work correctly

Being on top of my follow ups. Call back and next steps are very useful for that

Dynamics GP review by Administrator in Pharmaceuticals
Administrator in Pharmaceuticals

"Multi-functional tool for creating and tracking sales "

What do you like best?

Multiple features from creating quotes to pulling spreadsheets.

What do you dislike?

The feature of Smartlist is sensitive at times if you don't have all of the specific's of what you want.

Currently my role does not use this product to problem solve, but more so help pull information on past and pending sales.

Dynamics GP review by Matt M.
Matt M.

"Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 and 2013"

What do you like best?

This is a rock solid, enterprise level ERP system that has been a great fit for our medium sized company (450 million gross revenue, 4300 employees). We selected GP in 2005 and went live shortly after in 2nd quarter 2006. Like any ERP, there will be a learning curve - especially if you're coming from an ancient legacy system like we were. And like in any product selection, be sure to spend plenty of time in the development of your implementation plan. What I like best about GP is hard to single out - so I'll pick 3 things. First, I like how intuitive it can be to use. Accounting screens (GL, AP, AR, etc) are straight forward, feature rich, and easy to use. Second, I have also been very happy with their support. Third, there are literally hundreds of 3rd party "add-on" products to further enhance GP beyond the core functionality. In my experience, any ERP system that suggests it is the single turnkey solution for an organization isn't being honest (there are a few exceptions for this - some ERPs are specifically targeted at certain markets - like retail, restaurants, etc.)

What do you dislike?

Like any product, there are downsides. However, many of the things I don't like are features / functions they never promised were there in the first place. For example, there is no way to deal with intercompany AR (without purchasing a 3rd party module) - a feature so critical to any multi-company organization that I'm really surprised it was never developed. Although their human tech support is fantastic, their CustomerSource database is very difficult to search / navigate. And I find their GP2013 web portal to be horribly complicated and incredibly confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to fully develop a project plan / scope document prior to project kick off. If you don't have these planning skills in house, hire a consultant with GP Dynamics experience. DO NOT simply pick someone who has simply worked with ERP's in general - insist on direct GP experience

Our reason to selecting Dynamics GP was simply to replace an outdated, AS400 based accounting system that had originally been installed in 1982. We used this opportunity to update our GL chart of accounts, clean up historic data, rebuild / reengineer our financial reporting, and leverage the SQL database engine - enabling us to leverage accounting data with other internal systems we've built.

"Reliable & Consistent"

What do you like best?

Speed, structure and user-friendly after some basic training.

What do you dislike?

Have to use RDC every time to place orders.

We have a network administration team that is very responsive to issues regarding GP, and matters are solved within minutes.

Learning about Microsoft Dynamics GP?

* We monitor all Microsoft Dynamics GP reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.