Microsoft Dynamics SL

3.3

Microsoft Dynamics SL. Productive, connected, efficient ERP solutions for project-driven organizations. Helps you easily manage complex project accounting.

Work for Microsoft Dynamics SL?

Learning about Dynamics SL?

Microsoft Dynamics SL Reviews

Showing 25 Dynamics SL reviews
Dynamics SL review by Administrator in Oil & Energy
Administrator in Oil & Energy

"Microsoft Dynamics SL Admin and Implementer"

What do you like best?

SL has a full sweet of products to offer which accommodates diverse project-based business structures. I've used Dynamic SL in a real estate title company in their non-title division to track hundreds of project with hundreds of different products in a multi-company setup. We closed out over 13 companies per month from one main office and utilized almost every module. In both past and present companies we used almost all modules and printed ten's of thousands of checks and sent out countless ACH every month. The laster has become the most prevalent but, it's a very robust platform in my experience.

What do you dislike?

In the most current setup of Dynamics on my pain points would be database locks in the system. We have roughly 100 or so user in the system at any given time and during month end close we have had some latency issues. There also seems to be a limit on the amount of data that is able to be uploaded at any given time. For the most part, the system runs fine and I'm sure with a more updated setup and version these hurdles wouldn't be an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Microsoft Dynamics SL has come a long way and I would consider the cloud-based version if I were to consider an implementation.

In both businesses, we used SL to track hundreds or even thousands of projects, expense, products, labor, and monthly / yearly reporting. SL was also our main system for tracking and reconciling inventory for multiple warehouses all over the United States. We also partnered with several major banks in a processing capacity for several large incentive programs that are still running to the day.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Microsoft Dynamics SL
Dynamics SL review by Corey M.
Corey M.

"Solid and stable, light on features"

What do you like best?

Very stable, excellent controls around data integrity. SL 2015, and previous version added a feature called Quick Query that allows us

What do you dislike?

With great stability comes less flexibility. Not as feature-rich as sister product Dynamics GP. Ecosystem of supporting software and integrated products seems smaller. Reporting is a little clunky. Quick Query helps with that. Budget features are very limited, we use a separate package to manage that and import into SL. Standard financial reporting tool for SL is MS Management Reporter, the Frx successor. This gets the job done, but feels dated even in its newest version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My sense is you use it if project accounting is core to your business. If not, there are better GL options.

General ledger, AP, inventory. Solid, consistent results, data integrity.

What Project-Based ERP solution do you use?

Dynamics SL review by Joel M.
Joel M.

"Good project based time entry platform"

What do you like best?

Dynamics is easy to use, there was no learning curve at all, once logged in it was point and click to create a time sheet and add entries for various projects.

What do you dislike?

The interface is a bit outdated; think early 2000 with lots of "bubble-like" icons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework; make sure that you know all your requirements for timekeeping before making a selection; this includes integration requirements and mobile device support.

The biggest benefit is being able to easily create time sheets.

Dynamics SL review by Jaclyn L.
Jaclyn L.

"Horrible product"

What do you like best?

I would not say that any experience I have had in this system is great. The system is very outdated and not capable of doing anything in the current day and age without customizations that have to be performed by external consultants (unless you are fortunate enough to have someone familiar with sql in-house).

What do you dislike?

Everything about the system is to be disliked. The system has problems in every module you would normally use. The available canned reports don't have all the information you would want. To add fields to a report is not intuitive if possible within the scoping screens and if not possible within those screens you have to pay a consultant to customize the reports for you (and even that might not be possible). The system with give weird errors and you have to shut down your computer to try and continue on with what you were doing. The reporting tools available to link with the system are not great either and usually have trouble communicating with SL.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use this system- search for something else that is at least supported by the developer and is easier to change in house. Anything you want to do in this system has to be done with a 3rd party consultant.

We are looking to move away from this system given how outdated it is and does not appear to be supported well by the developer. The system is just causing problems for us at this point and not solving any for the organization.

Dynamics SL review by Roman M.
Roman M.

"Good ERP Software for Accounting "

What do you like best?

Project management and project accounting functionality to help organizations manage projects. ERP includes finance, project accounting, manufacturing, field services, supply chain management, analytics, and electronic commerce. Different module or add-ons available from the third-party vendor that can be integrated with Dynamics SL.

What do you dislike?

Not so much user-friendly and runs slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dynamics SL is good for small and medium size company, third-party add-ons and modules are available to use with it. Can meet your accounting and financial reporting requirement.

Accounting General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Prepaid, Bank Reconciliations, Fixed Assets, Inventory Management, Electronic Payment ACH and Wire, Check Payment.

Dynamics SL review by Gabriel A.
Gabriel A.

"COO"

What do you like best?

MS Dynamics SL was one of the best ERP of its time. The database system it use is SQL, which is something good since SLQ Server is one of the best and reliable databas platforms. It is still on the market and the most importante feature of this ERP is that it is customisable. Customisations in this types of system is something very helpful since each company has different needs.

What do you dislike?

It was developed with old technology, but the worst is that it is a Server and client based application. they are now offering an cloud solution that I do not know how ti works, but knowing that that wa snot the way this software was thought, makes me think that the solution is using a their party control o something similar to make it possible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider another ERP softwares as Acumatica.

Installation and implementation require a lot of steps. Partner´s community is decreasing because of the raising of new ERP companies that are using new technologies to build its software.

Dynamics SL review by Administrator in Automotive
Administrator in Automotive

"Our company has been using this Microsoft product since 2004."

What do you like best?

The flexibility of creating your reports to suite your company needs is a great asset of this product. It is user friendly and can be great for small up to large companies.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have a feature that allows you to preview the affect of a journal entry before it posts. I would also like to be able to edit descriptions after a posting and an error has been discovered. That error is forever in the GL.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a secure user friendly software with many accounting capabilities, this one is great.

My balancing, month and year end closings are effortless. So I have been able to save lots of time.

Dynamics SL review by Connie C.
Connie C.

"Dynamics - good or bad?"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Dynamics keeps all information in one place and that gives everyone access to all the information they need and we can work together more effectively.

What do you dislike?

Difficult to do reconciliation, but that could be I am still learning about the product.

Not much flexibility.

Quick Query function has been helping me. I can view, filter, sort, add or remove columns, and export the resulting data to Microsoft Excel.

Dynamics SL review by sherri n.
sherri n.

"Accounts Receivable on Microsoft Dynamics"

What do you like best?

I love that this program is windows based and easy to follow. I also love that there are macro functions so that I can customize my own pages and needs.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything I dislike about this product.

I am in accounting so most of my business problems are monetary. I love how smoothly all of my transactions flow between reports.

Dynamics SL review by Sandip D.
Sandip D.

"Great Accounting Software"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that Dynamics SL is extremely customizable when it comes to fitting my business needs. It is backed by arguably the biggest software name in the industry so the overall quality is definitely apparent.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve was a little steep for me which comes as a result of it being such flexible software. However, once learned, it is a very valuable resource and tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for job costing, be sure they can provide the detail transactions, grouped and categorized like Dynamics SL can

We have used it for the accounting of our company

Dynamics SL review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Powerful but unforgiving"

What do you like best?

Granular control and budgets/projects, customizable

What do you dislike?

Period-to-post causes a very large amount of problems (too easy to break). I wish we could have longer transaction description fields (these are far too short).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that your team is trained, trained, and trained again. One poor user can ruin the entire database and render the data unusable without serious massaging.

I don't think this is an answer I can give. Dynamics SL is our entire accounting system.

Dynamics SL review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"Customizable, mostly user friendly data management"

What do you like best?

The greatest feature is that we can customize so many things that are specific to our company. We can generate warning pop ups. It works easily with our other technology in the office. It's much more flexible than other data management software I've previously worked with.

What do you dislike?

The design of the software looks like it hasn't been updated since the early 2000s. I'm not sure if that's specific to what we're using or if that's across the board.

We work with over 5,000 employees, and need to maintain compliance with state and federal regulations. The information is available to us so quickly, even for older employee files.

Dynamics SL review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"Dynamics SL"

What do you like best?

Project accounting, flexible reporting, employee utilization

What do you dislike?

minor item but need to produce a zero check to net a credit against a vendor invoice

Time and expense entry and processing of invoices for clients delivered via email

Dynamics SL review by Administrator

"Not User Friendly"

What do you like best?

The listing of all options on the Home Screen is the only benefit that I see

What do you dislike?

Unable to refresh a screen for releasing batches

None

Dynamics SL review by User in Information Technology and Services

"I have used several versions of SL for Billing, AR collections and Revenue"

What do you like best?

I enjoy best the Project module, it has flexibility to support reporting needs along with ease of use.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the standard electronic billing feature and budgets features, when budgets are updated in project maintenance they must also be updated they still must be manually updated in budget maintenance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

More simplified revenue recognition for fixed price/ETC rev rec projects would be great.

We are working on more detailed reporting. I enjoy that we can report project revenue and costs by different subaccounts on a task level.

Dynamics SL review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Great prodcut"

What do you like best?

love the flexibility of Dynamics SL and being able to customize it if necessary. Working with SIS has been great, and their team is very knowledgeable about SL and writing code.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the depth of features means that it is time-consuming to implement and learn. It is not super user friendly or intuitive and does take some training and a little time to get into.

I like that it's flexible, customizable, and has deep project functionality and excellent financial capability. They have a strong series of partners for installation and support. Reports are written in Crystal and can be modified.

Dynamics SL review by User

"CRM Dynamics"

What do you like best?

en mi empresa es el lugar donde se guardan todos los proceso que tiene la operativa, con lo cual me gusta mucho poder tener todas las info en un solo sitio

What do you dislike?

en la ultima actualizaciĂłn ha mejorado bastante aunque todavĂ­a no me convenza el menĂş de navegaciĂłn, muy poco amigable

no me ayuda a solucionar problemas

Dynamics SL review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Only if you want a team to define, implement and support the tool."

What do you like best?

It's nice that it is easily available via web, I suppose. I don't have a great love of the product.

What do you dislike?

The entire system, much like Sharepoint and other MS behemoths, it's a horrible mistake to think you can just dive in and start using the product. It takes a design and implementation team to get you up and running effectively; otherwise, you quickly find that it doesnt do what you expect and overall data integrity is miserable.

After using Dynamics, we sorta solved some tracking of actual sales....but the product was so bad that the overall data collection just never really happened.

Dynamics SL review by Sean B.
Sean B.

"Used as a back-end for a point-of-sale system I developed."

What do you like best?

Using Microsoft eConnect it was easy to transfer data between Dynamics and the proprietary POS system.

What do you dislike?

Pricing of different components seemed at times excessive,

I needed a robust accounting package for our larger clients where quickbooks was not enough,

Dynamics SL review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"6 year user"

What do you like best?

Our business is complicated and Dynamics SL handles all our transactions types. We use projects, sales orders, service calls and service contracts.

What do you dislike?

Occasional buggy spots require support from analyst and dba.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep current. Product enhancements need to be well vetted. Webapps need improvement.

We needed a ERP package that could do both job cost accounting and and service contracts. Thrilled that Dynamics SL could do both well.

Dynamics SL review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"A tried and true product"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it is user friendly, easily customizable, and has a good customer support system.

What do you dislike?

Upgrades can be expensive, especially if you don't need all the features of the software.

This software meshes well with other Microsoft products such as Excel, so I can download reports into Excel format.

Dynamics SL review by Patrick T.
Patrick T.

"Forced to use"

What do you like best?

Basically supports some CRM type features

What do you dislike?

Unreliable, down time, lack of browser support, inability to export/import from common formats without third party tool

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use it, there are better products out there that will do the thing you need them too better and will do a mjuch better job

Basic CRM

Dynamics SL review by User in Financial Services

"Anothe good Microsoft product "

What do you like best?

It’s consistent to Microsoft’s reliable track record. Great for any industry searching for a CRM

What do you dislike?

To get to one place I have to click through too many steps

Recommendations to others considering the product

Small companies may not need the platform due to accommodation to medium to large companies

Data management

Dynamics SL review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

It was really straight forward and easy to use. It works well when it syncs up with an additional program.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it would freeze. That would be cumbersome because that would affect the syncing.

Inventory

Dynamics SL review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Microsoft Dynamics User "

What do you like best?

The ability to easily collaborate with coworkers via chat communication

What do you dislike?

Does not integrate easily with apple mac products

Quick collaboration with coworkers on multiple projects

Learning about Microsoft Dynamics SL?

* We monitor all Microsoft Dynamics SL reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.