What do you like best?
- Ease of creating and formatting spreadsheets
- Formulae are easy to set up
- Color coding and cell formatting is ideal for project management
- Useful for budgets, project managemenet, and charts/visuals
- Easy to export into other applications like Word, for report presentation
What do you dislike?
There's nothing to dislike about this program. I know companies are making money by creating different spreadsheet/productivity/project management tools, but to my mind, you just can't beat Excel.
In the future, I hope MicroSoft will create one program that incorporates Word, Excel, and other productivity tools -- one program that includes everything. That will reduce the need to import fromone program to another. (And I'm sure that day is coming.) Also, adding a voice recognition/voice activation element to the software will make it more usable for those of us who multitask or like to work while travelling. Again, it's only a matter of time.
Recommendations to others considering the product
Use it for more than just spreadsheet applications. In one book, you can have a spreadsheet and a project management system. Easy to start using, as basic functionality is clean and simple to learn. You'll be surprised by how much you can do once you dig into the data.
What business problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
I've used Excel for decades, going all the way back to college for my projects. When I taught high school, I used Excel for grading, and taught my marketing students to use it for their advertising projects. When I worked corporate, I utilized it to track budgets, performance goals, and timelines. It can be an excellent project management tool, particularly when used on the cloud.
Now that I am self-employed, it's more important than ever. I have used it to:
- track income and expenses and analyze those figures (see attached screenshot)
- track queries to agents (color coding is especially helpful here)
- create timelines for project completion (project management)