Microsoft Hotmail

Microsoft's time management web application (previously Windows Live Calendar)

Work for Microsoft Hotmail?

Learning about Microsoft Hotmail?

Microsoft Hotmail Reviews

Showing 27 Microsoft Hotmail reviews
Microsoft Hotmail review by <span>Steven L.</span>
Steven L.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

- Hotmail / Outlook performs all the basic functions adequately but Gmail achieves this just as well

- It is free (but that is why I guess they do not support it)

The downside is so bad that I would never recommend Hotmail. Move to Gmail.

What do you dislike?

- Poor customer service

- Poor security on accounts when travelling

- No escalation process for issues

- This is a known issue if you Google and see how many people had this problem

There is no adequate recovery process for emails. Have you tried getting an email account re-instated or tried to find out how, what or why your Hotmail has been blocked when travelling overseas?

If Microsoft detects you are using a different server possibly in a different location it can deem your account to have been compromised. If it then does not like your responses to security questions or data just blocks you again and again. The only option is to then complete a recovery form which also gets rejected without explanation.

The Customer Service department is elusive in that it is hard to find who to talk to in the first place, when you do get an email response the agent changes every time and so they request the same information again and again, then when you have provided everything requested they just advise the account cannot be recovered apply for a new one. Yeah dream on.

There is actually no real request for identity i.e. providing passport or ID card etc or willingness to actually talk to you. When going through the recovery process if your information provided is deemed incorrect you are told to start a new account. Forget the fact you have 15 years worth of contacts and history, important business information.

I have been in the middle of job applications and lost important employer responses but after 4 weeks of daily interaction with Microsoft online and a huge amount of time wasted they have again concluded they cannot recover my account.

In my opinion they are either technically unable to recover some accounts which is a major concern but will not concede this or they have commercial reasons for getting users off accounts set up under the old Hotmail regime. Either way it's time to try and better provider.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Switch to Gmail before you lose or your data and contacts. I have no vested interest in Gmail but just know I have had a very poor experience with Hotmail.

Private use only,

0 of 0 found this helpful.
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Microsoft Hotmail
Microsoft Hotmail review by <span>Maria Jose N.</span>
Maria Jose N.

good software

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Hotmail allows to send and recieve information from people of all parts of the world

What do you dislike?

I dislike the presentation of the page, i think it can be more organized

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend hotmail to be use as principal email to get information about work or personal information. It is easy to use and very practical

I use hotmail for communicate with all my importants contacts about every subject of my life, including education, jobs and personal nformation.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Calendar solution do you use?

Microsoft Hotmail review by User in Architecture & Planning
User in Architecture & Planning

Been using it since 2000!

Validated Review
What do you like best?

It is easy to use, reliable and overall just solid. I've used it since 9th grade, it was one of my first email accounts and I appreciate its ability to handle mass volumes of email. I also like how it links to Microsoft cloud now. I have a Windows phone so it makes things easy.

What do you dislike?

It is more susceptible to scam emails, at least it has been in the past. I dislike that I may not be able to use it as easy when I need to get a new phone: see PLEASE make a new windows phone!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Greatly compatible with other Windows prodcuts!

Usually I use this if I want to send out cold emails. I trust that I can block any unwanted contacts and I feel safe using it. I have realized the benefit of an email address that is separate from my work.

Microsoft Hotmail review by <span>Vicki F.</span>
Vicki F.

Hotmail Works for Me

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Hotmail (now administered by Outlook) is a robust email program and allows me to read, sort and organize my emails.

What do you dislike?

I can't sort emails by going directly to the first name (letter of the alphabet) when trying to find an email. If I am trying to find an email from example "Susan Smith" I can sort alphabetically, but have to start with 'A' and scroll to 'S'. I cannot go directly to 'S'. This feature went away went Hotmail partnered with Outloo.

Hotmail, being free, allows me the unlimited use of an email server and gives me the ability to sort and file emails.

Microsoft Hotmail review by <span>Hannah M.</span>
Hannah M.

Hotmail use

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I have used this email service for many years, it has a nice format, is easy to use, and onedrive is a nice feature for storing

What do you dislike?

can be slow, crash, or not always work 100 %

Recommendations to others considering the product

it is good for storage and basic emails, and using skype. can be slow at times

easy to email back and forth within company, also can use skype with this email account

Microsoft Hotmail review by <span>Sam M.</span>
Sam M.

Outlook is the new Hotmail

Validated Review
What do you like best?

Hotmail was replace by Outlook last year (2013) and with it there were some noticeable improvements, but seems to be mainly cosmetic. This is probably the main thing I do like about the new Outlook is how it looks. Like other Office 2013 products, it is using ample amounts of white space and has a much cleaner look. The transitions between screens is also nice to the eye.

Another aspect that I like and other services either don't offer it or make it a paid option, was the alias feature. You have your main email address, but you can create additional addresses within the same account that can either be their own standalone email address, or can forward to your main address. This allows you to give out an email address w/o worrying whether it is going to get spammed to death.

What do you dislike?

With the new look described above comes a new learning curve to using the product. This can be a bit frustrating as nothing is clearly marked and there were (as of the time of this writing) no initial tutorial on where anything was. I ended up having to just play around to find out where certain settings were, how to set up aliases, and things of that nature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use Outlook for niche type emails and therefore it keeps it relatively light on the email. This works for me as my main email tends to be Gmail and Yahoo gets all my spam. I segment so it keeps it easier to segment. I do like the alias feature however and tempted to use that in lieu of Gmail. The main thing will be how good its spam filters are in relation to other services.

I use Outlook as a dedicated email for various topics. It is not my main email account, but does allow to keep an email address that isn't public knowledge and therefore not on any spammy lists.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

Learning about Microsoft Hotmail?

* We monitor all Microsoft Hotmail reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.