Microsoft Hotmail

Microsoft's time management web application (previously Windows Live Calendar)

Work for Microsoft Hotmail?
Ibmnotes calendar  2x

Learning about Microsoft Hotmail?

Microsoft Hotmail Reviews

Showing 28 Microsoft Hotmail reviews
Microsoft Hotmail review by <span>Juan Camilo R.</span>
Juan Camilo R.

Much improved, but archaic when compared to superior options as GMAIL

What do you like best?

Decent amount of storage, basic e-mail functionality, intuitive to use and fully compatible with mostly every device either by webpage or standalone app.

Full integration with Microsoft's Windows and office software. It has been around longer than mostly everyone of the known alternatives.

What do you dislike?

Archaic, slow to catch up, had it not been because I've been using it since 1997 and have a gazillion contacts and old emails I would have abandoned a decade ago at least.

Smaller available storage when compared to similar options.

Insecure, my account has been hacked twice since I created the email (managed to recover it both times)

Always playing catch up in features but never up to par, the UI while better than it used, still leaves a lot to be desired.

Forced integration with other Microsoft apps like Skype which somehow ends up signing online without asking me everytime I open the hotmail email.

Atrocious spam filter that lets everything through and sometimes blocks needed email.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just avoid it and get GMAIL instead.

I have used it for 21 years for all types of home, personal, school and business communications.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Microsoft Hotmail
Microsoft Hotmail review by <span>Steven L.</span>
Steven L.

Microsoft recovery processes seriously flawed. Don't sign up to Outlook / Hotmail

What do you like best?

- Hotmail / Outlook performs all the basic functions adequately but Gmail achieves this just as well

- It is free (but that is why I guess they do not support it)

The downside is so bad that I would never recommend Hotmail. Move to Gmail.

What do you dislike?

- Poor customer service

- Poor security on accounts when travelling

- No escalation process for issues

- This is a known issue if you Google and see how many people had this problem

There is no adequate recovery process for emails. Have you tried getting an email account re-instated or tried to find out how, what or why your Hotmail has been blocked when travelling overseas?

If Microsoft detects you are using a different server possibly in a different location it can deem your account to have been compromised. If it then does not like your responses to security questions or data just blocks you again and again. The only option is to then complete a recovery form which also gets rejected without explanation.

The Customer Service department is elusive in that it is hard to find who to talk to in the first place, when you do get an email response the agent changes every time and so they request the same information again and again, then when you have provided everything requested they just advise the account cannot be recovered apply for a new one. Yeah dream on.

There is actually no real request for identity i.e. providing passport or ID card etc or willingness to actually talk to you. When going through the recovery process if your information provided is deemed incorrect you are told to start a new account. Forget the fact you have 15 years worth of contacts and history, important business information.

I have been in the middle of job applications and lost important employer responses but after 4 weeks of daily interaction with Microsoft online and a huge amount of time wasted they have again concluded they cannot recover my account.

In my opinion they are either technically unable to recover some accounts which is a major concern but will not concede this or they have commercial reasons for getting users off accounts set up under the old Hotmail regime. Either way it's time to try and better provider.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Switch to Gmail before you lose or your data and contacts. I have no vested interest in Gmail but just know I have had a very poor experience with Hotmail.

Private use only,

What Calendar solution do you use?

Microsoft Hotmail review by <span>Maria Jose N.</span>
Maria Jose N.

good software

What do you like best?

Hotmail allows to send and recieve information from people of all parts of the world

What do you dislike?

I dislike the presentation of the page, i think it can be more organized

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend hotmail to be use as principal email to get information about work or personal information. It is easy to use and very practical

I use hotmail for communicate with all my importants contacts about every subject of my life, including education, jobs and personal nformation.

Microsoft Hotmail review by User in Architecture & Planning
User in Architecture & Planning

Been using it since 2000!

What do you like best?

It is easy to use, reliable and overall just solid. I've used it since 9th grade, it was one of my first email accounts and I appreciate its ability to handle mass volumes of email. I also like how it links to Microsoft cloud now. I have a Windows phone so it makes things easy.

What do you dislike?

It is more susceptible to scam emails, at least it has been in the past. I dislike that I may not be able to use it as easy when I need to get a new phone: see PLEASE make a new windows phone!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Greatly compatible with other Windows prodcuts!

Usually I use this if I want to send out cold emails. I trust that I can block any unwanted contacts and I feel safe using it. I have realized the benefit of an email address that is separate from my work.

Microsoft Hotmail review by <span>Vicki F.</span>
Vicki F.

Hotmail Works for Me

What do you like best?

Hotmail (now administered by Outlook) is a robust email program and allows me to read, sort and organize my emails.

What do you dislike?

I can't sort emails by going directly to the first name (letter of the alphabet) when trying to find an email. If I am trying to find an email from example "Susan Smith" I can sort alphabetically, but have to start with 'A' and scroll to 'S'. I cannot go directly to 'S'. This feature went away went Hotmail partnered with Outloo.

Hotmail, being free, allows me the unlimited use of an email server and gives me the ability to sort and file emails.

Microsoft Hotmail review by <span>Hannah M.</span>
Hannah M.

Hotmail use

What do you like best?

I have used this email service for many years, it has a nice format, is easy to use, and onedrive is a nice feature for storing

What do you dislike?

can be slow, crash, or not always work 100 %

Recommendations to others considering the product

it is good for storage and basic emails, and using skype. can be slow at times

easy to email back and forth within company, also can use skype with this email account

Learning about Microsoft Hotmail?

* We monitor all Microsoft Hotmail reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.