Microsoft Power BI

Power BI Desktop is part of the Power BI product suite. Use Power BI Desktop to create and distribute BI content. To monitor key data and share dashboards and reports, use the Power BI web service. To view and interact with your data on any mobile device, get the Power BI Mobile app on the AppStore, Google Play or the Microsoft Store. To embed stunning, fully interactive reports and visuals into your applications use Power BI Embedded

Work for Microsoft Power BI?

Learning about Power BI?

Microsoft Power BI Reviews

Showing 219 Power BI reviews
Power BI review by Naomi K.
Naomi K.

"App user's usage monitoring "

What do you like best?

this app is used to see how our app users are using the app and how often they are using certain features. I like that the app looks neat and separates everything into different categories. I can easily filter by different categories or needs that as I need too. It overall just has a very tech and smart feeling to using it. Very well organized.

What do you dislike?

It is initially somewhat hard to understand how to use. As well I at times find it difficult to see or find where I need to be or to find specific items i am trying to search for as I was initially using the site and becoming more familiar with the site.

I am tracking how much our app users are using out app, downloading our app, using discounts and all of our other implemented features. This allows us to monitor how well the app is doing in terms of growth on a day to day basis or by weekly or in the longer term over the life of the application.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Microsoft Power BI
Power BI review by Mike K.
Mike K.

"Visual Data Awesomeness!"

What do you like best?

The fact that I don't have to use Excel to create awesome visual charts makes this a complete time saver! Instead of spending hours and hours updating spreadsheets, Power BI integrates with other programs I use to pull the raw data automatically. It looks awesome as well!

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I can't share the Dashboards I create to a weblink. Also, the dashboard page when signed in doesn't format in a way that you could display it on a TV, etc... This would take Power BI up to an 11 if it could do that!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! Great for visually displaying needed information.

Team productivity, team sales and other information! I can quickly look at the charts I've created to know how my team is doing! Also, it's sharable so my manager, the CEO and others can login and see it as well!

What Business Intelligence Platforms solution do you use?

Power BI review by Joel F.
Joel F.

"Very powerful tool, but hard to work out how to use"

What do you like best?

Connects easily to a lot of different systems that we use, there are a lot of pre built reports and dashboards for popular data sources such as Google Analytics, Mailchimp etc. We use Dynamics CRM and Power BI has some great reports for this system. The pro version gives access to on premise data sources, which is a good benefit if you use both cloud and on premise systems. this does have to be installed on a PC which is always turned on so this needs considering when you install the Power BI desktop program for connecting to on premise data sources.

What do you dislike?

It's not very easy to learn how to use, particularly linking different data sources. it seems to require you to have an understanding of SQL to be able to get custom reports to work properly. Occasionally i have had problems in saving changes to reports, when a report has been created with the desktop program and i am then trying to edit in the online version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get some assistance from someone who has an understanding of SQL or Power BI to help you set up the reports

Reporting from various different systems on one dashboard, particularly where the system itself doesn't have customisable reports or dashboards. Mobile access is a great feature utilising the Power BI app. Also reports can be embedded in a web page using an iframe to publish reports to people who don't have access to the system.

Power BI review by Paul V.
Paul V.

"Power BI helps us make better, data-driven decisions"

What do you like best?

With Power BI, I can combine data from multiple sources, build a data model, create visualizations, and share the results with others in my company. I learned Excel Power Pivot a few years ago, and everything I learned there about Power Query and DAX translated directly to Power BI. Now I rarely use Excel Power Pivot because it's so much easier to share the results through the cloud with Power BI.

What do you dislike?

Prior to May 2017, I was able to share reports with others using the free version of Power BI. Microsoft changed the pricing, and now everyone who wants to view reports needs a Power BI Pro license ($10/month/user). I can understand charging those of us who build models and share reports, but I don't think the company should have to buy a license for everyone who wants to view a shared report. In addition to the expense, it is also a hassle for people to request a license from our IT group.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn Power Query and DAX. There are plenty of tutorial videos available.

We analyze usage patterns in our cloud software. The results help us understand user behavior and prioritize new features for our product. Power BI has been extremely helpful here. We have a much better understanding of our data that allows us to make better decisions.

Power BI review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Great Starting Point for BI"

What do you like best?

Getting started is easy, you can download the Power BI Desktop and get in it. There are a lot of tutorials build into the application you can use to see how to do different things. There are a decent amount of dashboard and visual add-ons you can get, most for free. The way you can model your data is easy and visual.

What do you dislike?

You can't fully customize the dashboard, especially the ones you get form the extension site. What I mean if you can't put your company logo into a visual element on a dashboard. You can color code the dashboard so match your company's colors but not anything with branding, at least not right now you can't. There are monthly feature updates and weekly patches. You can't patch the application from an update tool you have to redownload the application and install it each time there is an update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good starting point, you can download Power BI Desktop for free and get started with their tutorials. The cost is comparable to Tableau.

We are able to visually show potential customers, as well as employees ways they can see their data and be able to drill down into what they are seeing. This is a pretty cool experience and different way to present people with data that is not the typical static SSRS presentation.

Power BI review by Bernardo C.
Bernardo C.

"Awesome for data visualization"

What do you like best?

PowerBI feels like and enchanced version of Excel.

It is awesome for data visualization, since it allows us several options in terms of presenting Data.

More than that, it also has some functions, just like excel, which makes it a very complete software.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it could be more flexible.

For example, we are not allowed to edit data directly on the sheets, which makes it hard to clean a database. Due to that, it forces you to have something else, like Excel, to help you clean up a database before you start working on it on Power BI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are having trouble working on presentations and ways to show your data, you've gotta start using Power BI.

Essentially Data Visualization. Since SPSS, my main tool for data analysis, is not great in that specific field, I complement it with Power BI.

Power BI review by Wade W.
Wade W.

"A great entry level product for enterprise reporting that scales with you"

What do you like best?

The pricing is what initially attracted us to the Power BI platform. at $10/user it is much cheaper than many of its competitors. The frequent feature releases and additions keep us around.

There is also a very active community that Microsoft has built around this product. The user community is very helpful and responsive. They are very welcoming of new users to the platform and happy to help.

What do you dislike?

Their prices have been increasing. Organization of reports within Power BI is also a bit uncomfortable. Workspaces, Apps, Content Packs, Folders, etc. are al a bit overwhelming. There are multiple ways to organize and distribute reports, each with their own benefits and drawbacks.

Lack of solid workflow is also missing. It's very flexible, but lacks some direction.

Microsoft Support is very difficult to work with, and has been mostly unhelpful every time we have reached out to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot. You can download the desktop app, and use the web service for free for 1 person. As you prepare larger roll outs however, be aware of how you structure workspaces, apps, and PBIX files.

We utilize Power BI as the reporting layer on top of our Data Warehouse. It solves our issues of distributing information to our business users with visualizations, export ability, and some self service functions.

Power BI review by Dan C.
Dan C.

"Excellent data visualization tool that is included with O365 E5 Licensing!"

What do you like best?

Power BI is extremely easy to use. There is a wealth of free training available from Microsoft which makes this solution very easy to roll out. Many connectors to popular data sources, which makes integration with most systems a breeze. Power BI is extremely powerful, even in its online form. It rivals the capabilities of other leading visualization tools.

What do you dislike?

Because the tool is so powerful, it can be daunting to use if you pick it up without training. If a connector does not exist, it will require some technical knowledge for integration, unless you rely on flat-files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask Microsoft for a trial of the product. Access your data with native connectors if available. Avoid flat files if possible.

We've significantly reduced our data analytics costs by migrating off of Tableau, and using Power BI instead. Because Power BI is easy to integrate with, we've had great success with creating real-time information to our Team members.

Power BI review by Abhishek K.
Abhishek K.

"Easy to use but few complicated views are tough to implement"

What do you like best?

simple dashboard creation is one of the best and easiest part to implement. Connectivity to different data source made very simple.

What do you dislike?

Complex views creation with joins over multiple table using calculated columns

Recommendations to others considering the product

Power BI is good when it comes to connectivity or data pulling from different sources. Power BI is easy while preparing various visualization.

Power BI is not competent enough in representing complex visuals with multiple joins from different data sources all taken together.

The Power BI pro implementation was not user friendly at all as we had to purchase office 360 to activate paid licence.

Office 360 has an additional monthly cost over Power BI pro monthly cost. Power BI Pro is required to share dashboards online within and outside organisation.

Power BI provides good editing functionality and they have provided additional column creation functionality like "measure" and "calculated columns", both has their own benefits.

Quick data visualization and analysis by senior employees of the organisation without involving a technical support to create the same.

Quick access, easy understanding are the few benefits we have realized

Power BI review by Toni G.
Toni G.

"Power BI is a powerful tool, needs some training"

What do you like best?

I really like the powerful visuals in Power BI. I like that you can drill down to your data, and publish your reports via Power BI online. I like the slicer tool, as I can make one report, and simply slice it down to each person or Account that I want data on, instead of making 50 separate reports. It saves me time, and my supervisor loves how the reports look when I'm finished. Talk about making me look great!

What do you dislike?

Because my supervisor and my company are still very into "hard copies" the lack of ability to print from PowerBI desktop is frustrating. I would like to be able to format my prints just like I would out of excel. Printing from online works ok, as does screen shots but a powerful print interface would make this a 10/10 software.

We've used Power BI to put our information from Dynamics CRM into a dashboard tool that is visual, and useful for management teams.

Power BI review by Cortni M.
Cortni M.

"Great for Analytics"

What do you like best?

This application is wonderful to utilize for presenting numbers in a way that is easy to interpret. You can also link the information to external spreadsheets and applications that hold the information you need. This application is a fancy spreadsheet that really boosts presentations to clients.

What do you dislike?

To be honest, there is not a whole lot wrong with this application. The only thing I would really say is that it takes a bit of time to really just play around with the application and make mistakes in order to really understand its functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just play around with the application with some fake data until you can really get the hang of all the different features that Power Bi has to offer.

I utilize Power Bi to display customer purchasing details and purchase history trends in a way in which is easy to interpret

Power BI review by Sissy S.
Sissy S.

"Microsoft Power BI Review"

What do you like best?

Power BI gives me a one stop shop for dashboards on my customer data. As an Account Manager, it is very valuable to me to have information at my fingertips, and Power BI makes that happen. It is easy to use and navigate. It pulls in information from our SQL databases and excel reports - and combines all of that data into a beautiful dashboard! I am a visual person, so I appreciate the beauty :)

What do you dislike?

Perhaps I haven't taken the time to learn how to create my own dashboards, but I very much feel like I am at the will of our admin when it comes to dashboards. Another issue I have experienced is that it is a bit slow in getting to the data I need. I know I need to log in, select the dashboard, and then go do something else so I don't have to wait for it to load.

I can spot trends in my client base, making it easier for me to spot at risk clients and also clients I can upsell to. It helps me to see who best I should target for keeping and growing accounts.

Power BI review by Celil .
Celil .

"Power BI is very competitive in BI world"

What do you like best?

User experience (UX) is the top priority for Microsoft in Power BI. It has incredible abilities to query data from source, such as machine learning. Query, design and reaporting is in one tool, there is no need additional tools.

It can get data from all resources, even in web site frame structure, there is no need a table structure any more. If you have unstructured data in any resource, mechine learning can recognize/learn how to capture it and get data as you wish. If a data require editing with some excel operater (mid, left, find, etc.) you don't need any more to write any command or know excel. Power BI is doing it for you with machine learning technology, you just give some example about what you need in data and it recognize/learn how to get it than populate it.

Power BI has a lots of dashboard charts, very different range, very different purpose and you can find what you need. Charts looks soo pretty and configuration soo easy too. Again! machine learning using there. If you want create a report (using a chart), you can type what you need as you talking with a friend. Power BI create it simultaneously as you writting.

What do you dislike?

Actually, there is one thing I can say that if you are working with huge data, depending on your computer configuration and only with the desktop (free) version it is little bit slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best to fit your BI requirements if you not have TB level data.

Power BI is a BI, dashboard, data query and data modelling tool. You can report your data as quickly and easily as than the other competitors. With machine learning ability you can fast and easily get, querying, modelling and reporting your data. With AI supported insight ability you can drill down to the problems. If you want to more analyzing you can do it with R scripts in Power BI.

Power BI review by BenjamĂ­n R.
BenjamĂ­n R.

"Everyone can do BI"

What do you like best?

Full integration with all the Microsoft Office environment. If you are currently working with Excel Reports this is an excellent tool to improve your delivery.

What do you dislike?

The way you have to add tables to your model, if you already have a Dataware House built, you may feel that you are re working al your relationships.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an excellent tool if you are wondering wich tool can get fully integration with your excel reports,

Now we can scope in the hidden issues that we couldn't reach in the past. In the process of evaluating other expensive tools (BO, Cognos, Tableau, QlikSense) we started doing reports and dashboards in Power BI. You don't need to be an expert user.

Power BI review by Rod W.
Rod W.

"I've been waiting for this product for years! "

What do you like best?

Finally! Microsoft have brought the power of Excel Pivot tables, dynamic charting and ease-of-use to business intelligence and reporting. PowerBI makes creating reports, charts and dashboard easy, powerful and fun. A full range of connectivity options, DAX to get creative with, and a whole stack of custom visualizations keep the dashboards looking great and modern.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike at all. It's priced right, is easy to use and delivers powerful reporting in a Microsoft environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download free trial and test it out. Be sure to visit the visualizations download pages and browse the extensive range of custom plug-ins.

Browse the community around PowerBI to get tips and tricks.

Business dashboards, visualizations for KPIs. Fast development time with maximum visual impact.

Power BI review by Vijai T.
Vijai T.

"MS Next Gen Reporting Product"

What do you like best?

Its easy to use. Has both thick client to build reports offline. Once created you can easily publish them to the cloud. Ability to share the report to others users via public url, Embed it in iframe or using PowerBI API's to embed them to your application. Nice set of charts around 20 types of charts to visualize the data.Good Integration support with lot of Database variations.

What do you dislike?

They need to support easy integration with Dropbox, Google drive and other ways to refresh data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's definitely a good product and from pricing point of view it's competitive. Also supports Cloud and On-premise solution.

Using this tool to do Business Intelligence, Analytics, Prediction using R, nice Dashboards.

Power BI review by Administrator in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
Administrator in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Microsoft Power BI Review"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Power BI is a very intuitive tool to help you gain greater insights into your data. With slightly advanced computer knowledge and little to no programming skills, you can create analytics that bring actionable data to the forefront of daily business.

What do you dislike?

Many times while using Power BI, it is frustrating that various data conversions cause your query type to switch from DirectQuery to Import. On very large data sets, this is quite difficult to do as importing massive amounts of information can slow down the query. Through various upgrades, though, I have seen Microsoft taking steps to allow DirectQuery with more data types and conversions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize any trial period that Microsoft offers. It took us quite some time to determine how to best use the data. Once you figure out how to use Power BI, it can turn into data overload. It's very important to develop a plan of what you are looking for, before delving into Power BI. If you're looking to just get "more out of your data" when trying Power BI, you may be on data overload. Develop a plan that specifically lays out how you're looking to get more out of your data.

The largest business problem we are looking to solve is combining data from multiple, non-integrated programs. For instance, combining data from a vehicle booking system, passenger booking system, and fleet maintenance software. Combining separated data has essentially allowed us to take data from four separate systems/databases, and display that actionable information on one dashboard. Employees who traditionally had to open four separate programs and navigate to reports in each program, can now see that same data on one screen.

Power BI review by ĂŤtalo J.
ĂŤtalo J.

"Analista"

What do you like best?

Facilidad de uso, variedad de visualizaciones y que se puedan importar o desarrollar nuevas visualizaciones. La capa de modelado es muy potente, ya que permite relacionar diferentes fuentes de datos como si se tratase de tablas de SQL.

What do you dislike?

El liezo para crear tableros es muy rígido en tamaño, lo cual mientras más objetos, más pequeños deben ser. No tiene la opción de Pop-Up para analizar de forma más profunda un gráfico o una tabla.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Por supuesto.

He realizado variados tableros, reportes y cubos para explotar en Excel.

Power BI review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Great Data Visualization Tool"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Power BI has allowed for me and my team to create more captivating presentations with ease. Once you learn the basics of importing data into the platform it the visualization toggles makes it easy to find the best options for leading clients through the data story. Some of the custom visualization add-ins create even more powerful insights, which gives users a plethora of options to choose from.

What do you dislike?

It took some time to figure out the best way to import the data for each visualization option. Some graphs are more straightforward than others when it comes to the formatting required. Connecting different data sets when attempting to compare information is also quite difficult in some cases. There is room for making this more of a seamless process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would give Microsoft Power BI a try when looking for better ways to display data. It is pretty simple to use once you understand how to import data, and is a much better upgrade than Excel charts.

I use Microsoft Power BI in order to shape the customer journey by using powerful visualizations that clearly display our data's value. The charts are more enticing than the normal Excel charts and help differentiate my work from that of a competitor's.

Power BI review by Gurjot K.
Gurjot K.

"Excellent"

What do you like best?

As a Power BI user, I am very happy with it as a user can use it to view reports across multiple platforms and devices. The other best about Power BI is its mobile app which is very useful to track, view and use reports when you are on your way. it also simplifies the process of extracting and presenting data with impressive and easy to understand visualizations.

What do you dislike?

Power BI max workbook size is 250 MB only, which is little inconvenient. it is also not able to change data.urce type in Power BI report.

We use Power BI to analyze the data by making powerful and perfectly visualized reports. We use these reports to track our sales and profits. With these reports, we are able to understand the behaviour of Customers and vendors.

Power BI review by Dennis J.
Dennis J.

"Easy to use self service BI"

What do you like best?

- many connectors to different Datasets

- out of the box for free

- easy to use

- with mobile app

- possibility to add local datasources over a datagateway

What do you dislike?

- no possibility for "good printing", the integrated print function doesnt work correctly

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a free version, so you can try it out!

If you already known DAX or powerpivot, the first start is very easy!

- Analyse Data from many different datasources and combine it....ERP, Excel and Sharepoint for example.

- Users are always up to date and i can easily puplish new reports

Power BI review by Ankit A.
Ankit A.

"Amazing Tool for Data Representation"

What do you like best?

Lot of Packages available to represent the data. Predictive and Visualization representation are very useful. Lot of users are implementing new packages and share the same with users which helps in find quick solution to our requirements. Open Source community as well provides help in case of any issues or solution needed

What do you dislike?

Issues with finding a central repository to find out the implementation of packages. Search more needed for finding the details of any package for example any package need to search a lot to find out the details.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Much needed understanding of R language to proceed with the tool.

Data Representation, Analysis, Visualization, Detailing, Training purpose as well. Open Source

Power BI review by User in Mining & Metals
User in Mining & Metals

"Strengths and Weaknesses of Microsoft Power BI"

What do you like best?

1-Free license and tool is available in Microsoft office as an alternative to expensive tools in the same field

2-Flexible to connect with multiple data sources and ERP systems

3-Training modules are available for users with good detailed explanation

4-Can publish review online for yourself and team-members and executives

5-Multiple layout for visualization

6.Data Visualization alternatives are rich without being excessively entangled. Outline sorts are organized and constrained to those that are truly significant, and custom perceptions make it simple to include some visual "bling" when it's vital or required.

7.Easy to distribute gatherings of information, reports, and dashboards in an "application" that clients in the business can undoubtedly discover and expend. Distributing model has become considerably less difficult, and we can dispatch updates to applications rapidly to our whole association

What do you dislike?

1.Editing data is bit difficult -- it requires dataset to be formatted in a particular manner, otherwise it will give errors and the user will end up most of the time in fixing the issue himself.

2.Every Time data is required to be refreshed, which leads to the issue of regenerating the visualization

3.Dashboards versus reports is frequently confounding to end clients, and the Q&A highlight in the dashboards never entirely appears to work like individuals anticipate that it will.

4.Reports' intelligent parts (slicers particularly) have an awkward client encounter that makes them difficult to get "ideal" for genuinely immersive intuitive announcing encounters.

5.Time-based cutting of information is enhancing, yet needs to develop more. Hard to cut to things like "two months back" still.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Inexpensive

- Rich in data visualizations

- User friendly

-Reports can be seen by multiple user

- Great platform for simplifications and automation of reports

1. It is used for Executive reviews for visualization and dashboards to provide insight in the business operations, marketing, finance. My organisation is using this because it comes free with Microsoft Office license. It provides similar services as other tools in the same field.

2. It is being used in my departmen,t but other functions are starting to explore this BI tool.

3. Visualization, dashboards, scorecards, easy to understand huge datasets through graphs and charts, flexible for users to connect with Excel

Power BI review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Department Head Becomes Self-Taught Super User"

What do you like best?

Their online video tutorials and do-it-yourself training got me on my feet quickly and I haven't stopped learning since. The monthly update videos and added functionality keep me curious and exploring new ways to understand my data. I'm a business leader without an IT background, but I have quickly become our resident Power BI expert, thanks to these videos, but also the intuitive nature of this easy to use product. The insights I have been able to glean over my first year with this product has been career changing.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the recent licensing changes which make it harder to share reports with colleagues that don't have the monthly Power BI Pro license. These are colleagues who don't need to actively use Power BI (and therefore do not justify a Pro licenses), but I would like to share an active dashboard with them for occasional viewing. Early on, this was possible and one of my favorite features, but Microsoft has (understandably) refocused their licensing to better monetize this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the self-guided tutorial to quickly understand how the product works and you will be up and running much more quickly than you would expect!

First and foremost, this has fundamentally shifted our internal culture and helped us take steps to become more data-driven. Our mountatins of excel spreadsheets are slowly being rethought and integrated into how we monitor our day-to-day operations and make informed decisions for the future.

We host hundreds of events and are using Power BI to understand our registration trends, our attendee audiences, our speakers and sponsors, and nearly every element of our processes as we look to improve our event execution.

Power BI review by Administrator in Insurance
Administrator in Insurance

"Easy to use self service business intelligence tool at a very competitive price."

What do you like best?

The tool is very easy to use for the user, and you get a sense of familiarity when using the tool since it follows the same setup as other Microsoft products with the ribbon command bar on top. The pricing is very competitive in regards to other self service business intelligence tools.

What do you dislike?

Understand the security aspect can be challenging and confusing at first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely do a proof of concept when looking at the different business intelligence platforms so you know which one will works with your business the best.

The business problems we are solving is letting the decision makers manipulate data sets however they want, whether they want to make a dashboard or a simple graph they can do that on their own without have to ask someone in IT. The benefits we have realized are being able to monitor important business key performance indicators.

Power BI review by Ryan G.
Ryan G.

"Power BI is the future of Business Analytics"

What do you like best?

Interactive charts in a cloud that can be shared with a click of a button--what's not to love? Easy to build, easy to share across any device and interactive on any form factor as well. This is the future of analytics.

What do you dislike?

The pricing for Power BI Pro is a bit hard on small businesses. Either you jump to Enterprise licensing for thousands of dollars--or you end up paying 9.99/user to use that service. Would love to see a middle ground/small business license option.

I work in healthcare IT--and I use this to update our performance scores for our providers (as well as produce a variety of reports). It's easy to share across the organization.

Power BI review by User

"Visually Pleasing & Actionable Analytics"

What do you like best?

The layout of presenting the analytical data is great. While some business intelligence tools involve a clunky interface, Power BI is not so. It is very visually pleasing and offers great adaptability in terms of source data integration. Both of these are very good pluses.

What do you dislike?

While the functionality is very good, this platform does involve a bit of a learning curve to use effectively. However, once the learning curve thresholds have been met, this is a seriously powerful Business Intelligence tool. I strongly recommend this platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a business intelligence tool that allows for fantastic visual dashboard creation, this is a great solution for you. The pricing structure for licenses of PowerBI is also very reasonable, which another great plus.

Power BI helps my organization to create a centralized and accessible business intelligence and analytics platform that is used across various cross-functional teams within the organization. By connecting PowerBI with SQL integrated OLAP databases, the organization is able to leverage data housed within SAP combined with data extracts of supporting systems to creation visual dashboards to track various KPI metrics on a daily basis. In addition, these dashboards prove to be very insightful, helping to generate actionable business insights that influence strategic decision-making within the organization.

Power BI review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Great visualization features"

What do you like best?

The visualization features and simple edits are really powerful. One can have little experience with data analysis but still be fairly comfortable with the tool. The drag and drop features for adding variables is easy to operate. The free license can make you try out features and get comfortable with the tool, and even in terms of license cost, i'd say it is reasonable.

What do you dislike?

Data editing and cleaning is not as seamless and flexible. Usually we have to go back to the database to make edits as that is far more simpler than making the edits in power BI.

Just testing the functionalities, to check if we can leverage the tool to provide better analysis and insights to data. Benefits in terms of powerful data visualization have been realized..

Power BI review by Bjoern S.
Bjoern S.

"The value for money Power BI provides is incredible"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Power BI is absolutely astonishing in regards to the value it provides for the money. For a lot of uses cases, i.e. in marketing cost data aggregation, you can stop using a Data Warehouse. Compiling reports on a Onedrive for Business and using them as a self updating data source is enough.

Secondly: The REST API of PowerBI is amazing, once you get used to the complex authentication process Microsoft forces you through. We've built out realtime multi-data source mobile dashboards for clients that cost them essentially zero dollars per month.

What do you dislike?

The Power BI desktop software should provide more authentication methods to allow power users to directly connect to Web APIs. Also support options for Microsoft PowerBI are not up to par. You can either use free support or pay several hundred dollars per ticket. The licensing scheme with Microsoft Office 365 seems overly complex, it's hard to understand why it's included as a free version in some schemes but can't be updated to PowerBI Pro.

Marketing cost data aggregation is our main use case, but we've also built our own reporting eco system for mid scale ecommerce merchants, pulling shop data and merging it with amazon and ebay store data.

Power BI review by Fraser C.
Fraser C.

"Great tool for analysis of sales reps"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to get started, especially for someone who does have have a data science background.

What do you dislike?

The fact that I don’t know how to use the whole program. Still a lot to learn.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give the desktop (free) version a shot and create some reports. If you see the value, it’s worth the upgrade to PowerBi service to be able to share and create dashboards

Allows me to easily assemble charts that tel the story of how my sales reps are quoting and closing orders. I can compare best reps and see who my best customers are with a simple click.

Power BI review by Dayna G.
Dayna G.

"Power BI at our firm"

What do you like best?

I love being able to show our data is different formats at a glance.

What do you dislike?

The things I dislike about Power BI is only from a standpoint of creating new tiles and some of the features. I feel they are constantly enhancing the product, as it is a fairly new product, and will eventually add all the features.

Seeing the data visually tells a different story than just looking at a report. For example, seeing a negative number on a report is just a regular number. Seeing a negative number on a graph stands out and catches your eye immediately. All of our data is tied directly into Deltek Vision. We have found some errors in bookkeeping that were quickly noticed and fixed. In addition, we have refined some process since Power BI is live data and needs to be accurate.

Power BI review by Karim I.
Karim I.

"Amazing Data tool"

What do you like best?

How much faster it is to parse, filter, or analyze very amounts of data than compared to excel.

What do you dislike?

Maybe its the way the dashboard I used was designed, but it's really complicated to export data to excel. It should be easier to download the selected data to excel. Also, browsers can only search visible text even though I might have dashboard with 1000 rows of data I will only be able to search the data visible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very quick and efficient way of analyzing large amounts of data

Developing trends and insights from large amounts of sales and market data.

Power BI review by Samantha B.
Samantha B.

"If you are intermediate or better with Excel, this is the BI tool for you"

What do you like best?

- Flashy visualizations make it easy to make a strong business case to executives

- Extremely easy to pick up if you already use Excel every day (it is for the most part Power Pivot with added features)

- You can share your dashboards with others who do not have Power BI by hosting them online (some competing products, such as Qlikview, do not allow this with the free version)

- Free option or $10/mo. premium option

- There are a TON of different data sources you can connect directly into Power BI. Possibly more so than most other BI tools offer.

- Plays nicely with the rest of the MS Office suite

What do you dislike?

- Probably very hard for those without Excel experience to figure out how to properly massage data in order to make the nice visualizations work

- Natural language queries don't work as well as you'd think from the demos

- Can require dozens of hours if not more to properly set up/massage data for use (however, once your dashboard set it up, it can be of use for a long time thanks to data refresh options)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would strongly recommend taking Excel and Powerpivot courses first before trying to use Power BI if you are not already familiar with these tools. If you do not have Excel experience, you'd be better served by a competing product.

Analyzing user experience data through our various communications channels using Power BI. New reports help us look at the data in a new way in order to make improvements. Also useful for communicating things simply to executives rather than sending them long-winded written reports.

Power BI review by Henok N.
Henok N.

"Good BI tool for building dashboards"

What do you like best?

Self-service reporting offers opportunities for management to make the best decisions. Power BI offers flexible way of presenting data where decision makers can get the info they want in a very flexible manner.

What do you dislike?

Something as simple as ordering a column on a table (matrix) is a pain and should be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it. Its free and a very flexible BI tool for creating marvelous visualizations and self-service reporting.

Creating an integrating Management UI with Power BI through SharePoint has immensely helped management get the transparency they need and offers self-service reporting in which they can drill through reports to get the best insights.

Power BI review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Great tool for creating interactive dashboards"

What do you like best?

This is great for creating interactive dashboards to share with multiple users. The features and abilities make this much better than a simple excel document and make it easy to share with other users.

What do you dislike?

UI is slightly complex and can be a bit confusing to navigate. Sometimes login fails.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this program when you need to create easy to use and easy to read analytic dashboards to share across members of your business.

Ability to share dashboards and analytics with multiple users in an easy way.

Power BI review by Pinar M.
Pinar M.

"Understanding your business "

What do you like best?

It's integrated and gives good feed back on your business and account. Especially if you are handling many accounts and you are trying to find out where your time is going.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to set up and understand in the beginning. You bump along the road a little bit with the way you learn. Working with someone who has use this program would be beneficial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great system to know what business is holding our attention and you can use that to your advantage when discussing the work needed to put into their account.

A lot of customers handled within the business take up a looted amount of time. The account is assigned based on the volume but not he work the customer demands. This way now you know the demand and the volume. You realize it's not a one man job or it is.

Power BI review by User in Wireless
User in Wireless

"Used on daily basis for sales reporting and funnel reporting and projection"

What do you like best?

I like the highlights when you hover over your performance. It gives a quick snapshot of trends and projections. We use it on a daily basis for our sales reporting and it gives me valuable insight into what I need to do and where I need to focus.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that sometimes data is not updated as frequently as I would like. This is likely due to upload issues from our data sources so I cannot fault my ops team or Microsoft for this.

We are helping to be more focused on our sales projections and funnel operations. The benefit is a single user interface to access all the data.

Power BI review by Lenny W.
Lenny W.

"Natural Language Query in Power BI is mind blowing!"

What do you like best?

I love Power BI. It is a cloud version of Power Excel (Power Query, Power Pivot, Power View, and Power Map).

It seamlessly integrates the features of Power Excel and makes dashboard building a breeze.

What do you dislike?

I would prefer the Power BI interface looking more colorful and vibrant. Right now, all default settings are black and white, making it not only dull looking, but requires manual customization on all settings, which takes time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep checking Power BI`s website as they publish updates on a monthly basis.

Processing transaction data and making internal calculations before dump them to visual charts in a Dashboard.

The benefits are easier to generate as most are automated processes.

Power BI review by Malvika G.
Malvika G.

"PowerBI Review"

What do you like best?

Really good way of making KPIs, show status and use the dashboard as project control tools. Good number of charts are also available, which makes defining charts easier.

Providing flexibility to develop/customize charts with R is also great and useful.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is difficult to use, and hard to write DAX. Needs some more improvement with some charts and general usage.

Developing dashboards for clients, and benefits are -

1. reduction in dashboard development, no/less coding required.

2. Ease of interaction with the charts.

Power BI review by User in Financial Services

"Game Changer for aggregating and deciphering data"

What do you like best?

I love that Power Bi can create graphs and charts depending on the information you plug in. There are several dashboards that I use to look at all kinds of information to see how well my team and the company is performing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes filtering for additional details is tricky if you aren't familiar with how to use the product. There are so many options that it can be overwhelming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a tool to help you understand your business in terms of KPIs and other factors that influence the business, then I would recommend looking into getting BI.

We can track employee performance much easier with BI. We can also keep track of where we stand with company goals and where we are expected to be at the end of the quarter.

Power BI review by Sriranjitha A.
Sriranjitha A.

"User Interface,Accessibility,Security"

What do you like best?

Power BI is one of the best and interactive visualizations tools in the market. One can create custom visualizations as per the business needs. Row-level security is the best feature that is available on power BI. Data gateway management feature is also remarkable. Most powerful data management tool.

What do you dislike?

Limit on size of datasets. Power BI will not accept larger files. Every time data needs to be refreshed if there is data gateway installed.

Creating interactive dashboards.

Power BI review by Arthur G.
Arthur G.

"User Friendly BI tool with some limitations"

What do you like best?

Powerful and easy to use.

UI.

Connectivity to all kinds of data sources.

Interactive dashboards.

Insights Option.

What do you dislike?

Data Editing is bit complicated; huge learning curve to understand how to manipulate the data and what data sets go into which box to be displayed correctly on the screen.

Easily able to generate reports, pair it with an ETL tool that I was using, and pretty much speed up a few reporting processes.

Power BI review by Vishal S.
Vishal S.

"Reasonable and powerful"

What do you like best?

It is both a web based analytics tool and has a Microsoft Excel Add-in. I like the fact that you can import and integrate both text based data sets and ODBC connectors to this product connecting disparate data sets inorder to create a very powerful product

What do you dislike?

$10/month per user makes it difficult to provide each user a license if you are a small company. The graphing capabilities are still in its infancy relative to a tableau or FinPro visualizer....

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for an individual contributor. This is definitely not an enterprise level product with built in collaboration capabilities. But it is definitely headed in the right direction.

Trend analytics, dashboarding, visual appeal, realtime data are few of the problems you can solve with BI. Have realized tremendous benefit at a relatively low cost of ownership

Power BI review by Apurva D.
Apurva D.

"Powerful BI"

What do you like best?

Up until now, extremely awed with PowerBI, it is turning out with new perceptions and upgrades like clockwork. Strong advancement network. Powerful demo of its capacity having the capacity to make an information perception and distribute it for review on my cell phone inside minutes and also offering dashboards to different clients, anticipating where this item advances to.

What do you dislike?

It doesn’t handle large data sources well. Although good for small data sets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although it has some limitations with large data sets, i would recommend this product for creating excellent visualizations

Basic visualizations and powerful insights for my client and internal management team.

Power BI review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Powerful potential"

What do you like best?

Power BI integrates well with databases, Excel, and external sites such as Salesforce. There's a lot of potential revolving around it's analytics. Really easy to pick up on if you know Excel.

What do you dislike?

Currently some of its tools are just not as flexible as those in excel. Not enough flexibility around customizing graphs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try Power BI if you're in operations looking for a tool that's easy to pick up on and that has the ability to flexibly connect to data sets in scattered locations.

Creating dashboards and using its sharing ability to provide data for different individuals at varying sharing levels in the company. Integrating large datasets to create digestible and useful visuals for key performance indicators.

Power BI review by Dr Julie B.
Dr Julie B.

"PowerBI"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that you can use many sources of data to connect to and gather insights, it is also very cool the different graphics that you have the ability to use and display. I could see the power of the tool, and the fact that you can do customized transactions using the sources of data

What do you dislike?

It is very difficult when data is not complete or needs a lot of scrubbing ahead of time. And it seems like Microsoft always wants data feeds, or API's to send data, and that is not always going to be the case. It seemed like the tool had the ability to remember the "scrubbing" you did on the data, but it sure did not make it easy to set this up with just Excel data. It was also not very intuitive when it came to publishing results out on the web. I eventually got that part to slightly work but with a lot of help from the contact at Microsoft - which is I am sure not what they want to be doing. Since it is a relatively new tool, I am assuming they will build more video help because they do not have a lot of resources yet that help a user to walk through the set up.

I have used it in a Toastmasters district, we were trying to see if there was ANY insight we could gain about members we lose each year, we just did not have enough good data, and the contact we had a Microsoft seemed to only be interested in direct delivery of data from Toastmasters to the tool, and there was no such mechanism. So, the tool just did not seem to work well with multiple disparate Excel files as sources

Power BI review by Daniel M.
Daniel M.

"Business must have to know how you run "

What do you like best?

It provides you with a sense of where you business is and how much you spend on each task. Especially how much you put into one customer and how much you recieve in from other companies.

What do you dislike?

There's definitely a learning curve. Maybe even a good idea to have someone set it up for you that is more technical. Also running and resding the repost at first is confusing but once you get the hang of it it pays off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have technical support help you. Don't be too proud. If you implement it right you will get the right results.

A lot of customers are requesting more than the business you thought them for. You spend more on one or less on another. Which isn't fair for you or them. This way you can reallocate as needed.

Power BI review by Consultant in Medical Devices
Consultant in Medical Devices

"PowerBI Review"

What do you like best?

I like how dynamic all of the graphs/visuals are. I also like how you can direct query with databases such as SQL. Ability to manipulate loaded data and seamlessly link tables is also a plus.

What do you dislike?

It isn't as easy to get a hang of than simply building graphs/visuals with excel. However, the finished product and your capacity to analyze data is well worth it. The organization I work for uses a lot of confidential data, so our ability to publish our reports for clients/internal use is very limited. Eventually we will be able to get some security enhancements, but it will be costly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool. I highly recommend taking online courses or training. There are a lot of hidden gems with PowerBI and these will help you get the most out of it

I am able to directly like PowerBI with our database to create automated reports. I also enjoy the ArcGIS feature that helps map our data. This will prove useful for sales targeting

Power BI review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Taking Microsoft BI to the next level"

What do you like best?

The best part of Microsoft Power BI is that it builds upon, and enhances the company's pre-existing business intelligence software. The same engines that drive Excel's PowerPivot add-in and SQL Server Analysis Services exist within Power BI's backend. This has allowed a seamless transition into using this product for my team and me. The ability to import data models from PowerPivot directly has been awesome!

What do you dislike?

I'm reminded of the stereotypical interview answer to the question "What are some of your weaknesses?" Sometimes I care TOO much. Sometimes I work TOO hard. Well, Power BI's "weakness" that comes to mind is the frequency with which your desktop version must be updated to stay current. There are monthly updates published by Microsoft, which often include new, community-inspired features and functionalities. It can be annoying to stay on top of these updates, but the fact that Microsoft is constantly improving their product is definitely a PLUS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It doesn't currently have the same computing/analytical power as other BI packages like Tableau, Microstrategy, etc. but it is very easy to use, builds on existing products offered by Microsoft, and is significantly cheaper. As far as visualizations go, it's up there with the best.

Because the same PowerPivot engine resides within the Power BI package, it has been easy for my team and I to begin incorporating Power BI into our typical workflow. By building data models within the PowerPivot environment, we have set ourselves up to supplement our reporting packages with sleek, interactive, easy-to-use visualizations in order to deliver better solutions to upper management, executive groups, and anyone that might not be interested the lower level of granularity.

Power BI review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Microsoft BI and ORACLE EBs... The Fantastic Duo..."

What do you like best?

It easy to use, powerfull, lighting fast and meet all the requirements in terms of security, audit and SOX compliance (if used with Sharepoint). I'm amazed on how fast is to drill down and slice millions of records inside excel.

I'm using Power Pivot with a datamodel that contains 11 millions rows and I'm create Financial Reporting in a sec.

What do you dislike?

The sharing workbook and automatic refresh functionality is available only if you have Sharepoint. The Incrememtal update is not yet supported yet. There is a new component called Power BI Designer that combines POWEQUERY and POWER PIVOT in a single place... Stunning....

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'll highly suggest PowerBI as dash boarding and analysis tool. It is FREE, easy to use and with DAX users can achieve very complex KPI.

We were looking for a replacement for OBIEE and Oracle Discoverer. Guess what... Here it is... POWERBI is the right tool. We are using SQL SErver 2012 and SSIS in order to have ORacle Tables replicated and we have created different Datamodels for different business needs. We were able to integrate Oracle EBS securities and we were able to segregate responsibilities.

Learning about Microsoft Power BI?

* We monitor all Microsoft Power BI reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.