Microsoft Power BI

Power BI Desktop is part of the Power BI product suite. Use Power BI Desktop to create and distribute BI content. To monitor key data and share dashboards and reports, use the Power BI web service. To view and interact with your data on any mobile device, get the Power BI Mobile app on the AppStore, Google Play or the Microsoft Store. To embed stunning, fully interactive reports and visuals into your applications use Power BI Embedded

Work for Microsoft Power BI?

Learning about Power BI?

Microsoft Power BI Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 199 Power BI reviews
Power BI review by Mike K.
Mike K.

"Visual Data Awesomeness!"

What do you like best?

The fact that I don't have to use Excel to create awesome visual charts makes this a complete time saver! Instead of spending hours and hours updating spreadsheets, Power BI integrates with other programs I use to pull the raw data automatically. It looks awesome as well!

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I can't share the Dashboards I create to a weblink. Also, the dashboard page when signed in doesn't format in a way that you could display it on a TV, etc... This would take Power BI up to an 11 if it could do that!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! Great for visually displaying needed information.

Team productivity, team sales and other information! I can quickly look at the charts I've created to know how my team is doing! Also, it's sharable so my manager, the CEO and others can login and see it as well!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Microsoft Power BI
Power BI review by Joel F.
Joel F.

"Very powerful tool, but hard to work out how to use"

What do you like best?

Connects easily to a lot of different systems that we use, there are a lot of pre built reports and dashboards for popular data sources such as Google Analytics, Mailchimp etc. We use Dynamics CRM and Power BI has some great reports for this system. The pro version gives access to on premise data sources, which is a good benefit if you use both cloud and on premise systems. this does have to be installed on a PC which is always turned on so this needs considering when you install the Power BI desktop program for connecting to on premise data sources.

What do you dislike?

It's not very easy to learn how to use, particularly linking different data sources. it seems to require you to have an understanding of SQL to be able to get custom reports to work properly. Occasionally i have had problems in saving changes to reports, when a report has been created with the desktop program and i am then trying to edit in the online version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get some assistance from someone who has an understanding of SQL or Power BI to help you set up the reports

Reporting from various different systems on one dashboard, particularly where the system itself doesn't have customisable reports or dashboards. Mobile access is a great feature utilising the Power BI app. Also reports can be embedded in a web page using an iframe to publish reports to people who don't have access to the system.

What Business Intelligence Platforms solution do you use?

Power BI review by Paul V.
Paul V.

"Power BI helps us make better, data-driven decisions"

What do you like best?

With Power BI, I can combine data from multiple sources, build a data model, create visualizations, and share the results with others in my company. I learned Excel Power Pivot a few years ago, and everything I learned there about Power Query and DAX translated directly to Power BI. Now I rarely use Excel Power Pivot because it's so much easier to share the results through the cloud with Power BI.

What do you dislike?

Prior to May 2017, I was able to share reports with others using the free version of Power BI. Microsoft changed the pricing, and now everyone who wants to view reports needs a Power BI Pro license ($10/month/user). I can understand charging those of us who build models and share reports, but I don't think the company should have to buy a license for everyone who wants to view a shared report. In addition to the expense, it is also a hassle for people to request a license from our IT group.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn Power Query and DAX. There are plenty of tutorial videos available.

We analyze usage patterns in our cloud software. The results help us understand user behavior and prioritize new features for our product. Power BI has been extremely helpful here. We have a much better understanding of our data that allows us to make better decisions.

Power BI review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Great Starting Point for BI"

What do you like best?

Getting started is easy, you can download the Power BI Desktop and get in it. There are a lot of tutorials build into the application you can use to see how to do different things. There are a decent amount of dashboard and visual add-ons you can get, most for free. The way you can model your data is easy and visual.

What do you dislike?

You can't fully customize the dashboard, especially the ones you get form the extension site. What I mean if you can't put your company logo into a visual element on a dashboard. You can color code the dashboard so match your company's colors but not anything with branding, at least not right now you can't. There are monthly feature updates and weekly patches. You can't patch the application from an update tool you have to redownload the application and install it each time there is an update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good starting point, you can download Power BI Desktop for free and get started with their tutorials. The cost is comparable to Tableau.

We are able to visually show potential customers, as well as employees ways they can see their data and be able to drill down into what they are seeing. This is a pretty cool experience and different way to present people with data that is not the typical static SSRS presentation.

Power BI review by Bernardo C.
Bernardo C.

"Awesome for data visualization"

What do you like best?

PowerBI feels like and enchanced version of Excel.

It is awesome for data visualization, since it allows us several options in terms of presenting Data.

More than that, it also has some functions, just like excel, which makes it a very complete software.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it could be more flexible.

For example, we are not allowed to edit data directly on the sheets, which makes it hard to clean a database. Due to that, it forces you to have something else, like Excel, to help you clean up a database before you start working on it on Power BI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are having trouble working on presentations and ways to show your data, you've gotta start using Power BI.

Essentially Data Visualization. Since SPSS, my main tool for data analysis, is not great in that specific field, I complement it with Power BI.

Power BI review by Abhishek K.
Abhishek K.

"Easy to use but few complicated views are tough to implement"

What do you like best?

simple dashboard creation is one of the best and easiest part to implement. Connectivity to different data source made very simple.

What do you dislike?

Complex views creation with joins over multiple table using calculated columns

Recommendations to others considering the product

Power BI is good when it comes to connectivity or data pulling from different sources. Power BI is easy while preparing various visualization.

Power BI is not competent enough in representing complex visuals with multiple joins from different data sources all taken together.

The Power BI pro implementation was not user friendly at all as we had to purchase office 360 to activate paid licence.

Office 360 has an additional monthly cost over Power BI pro monthly cost. Power BI Pro is required to share dashboards online within and outside organisation.

Power BI provides good editing functionality and they have provided additional column creation functionality like "measure" and "calculated columns", both has their own benefits.

Quick data visualization and analysis by senior employees of the organisation without involving a technical support to create the same.

Quick access, easy understanding are the few benefits we have realized

Power BI review by Toni G.
Toni G.

"Power BI is a powerful tool, needs some training"

What do you like best?

I really like the powerful visuals in Power BI. I like that you can drill down to your data, and publish your reports via Power BI online. I like the slicer tool, as I can make one report, and simply slice it down to each person or Account that I want data on, instead of making 50 separate reports. It saves me time, and my supervisor loves how the reports look when I'm finished. Talk about making me look great!

What do you dislike?

Because my supervisor and my company are still very into "hard copies" the lack of ability to print from PowerBI desktop is frustrating. I would like to be able to format my prints just like I would out of excel. Printing from online works ok, as does screen shots but a powerful print interface would make this a 10/10 software.

We've used Power BI to put our information from Dynamics CRM into a dashboard tool that is visual, and useful for management teams.

Power BI review by Cortni M.
Cortni M.

"Great for Analytics"

What do you like best?

This application is wonderful to utilize for presenting numbers in a way that is easy to interpret. You can also link the information to external spreadsheets and applications that hold the information you need. This application is a fancy spreadsheet that really boosts presentations to clients.

What do you dislike?

To be honest, there is not a whole lot wrong with this application. The only thing I would really say is that it takes a bit of time to really just play around with the application and make mistakes in order to really understand its functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just play around with the application with some fake data until you can really get the hang of all the different features that Power Bi has to offer.

I utilize Power Bi to display customer purchasing details and purchase history trends in a way in which is easy to interpret

Power BI review by Naomi K.
Naomi K.

"App user's usage monitoring "

What do you like best?

this app is used to see how our app users are using the app and how often they are using certain features. I like that the app looks neat and separates everything into different categories. I can easily filter by different categories or needs that as I need too. It overall just has a very tech and smart feeling to using it. Very well organized.

What do you dislike?

It is initially somewhat hard to understand how to use. As well I at times find it difficult to see or find where I need to be or to find specific items i am trying to search for as I was initially using the site and becoming more familiar with the site.

I am tracking how much our app users are using out app, downloading our app, using discounts and all of our other implemented features. This allows us to monitor how well the app is doing in terms of growth on a day to day basis or by weekly or in the longer term over the life of the application.

Power BI review by Sissy S.
Sissy S.

"Microsoft Power BI Review"

What do you like best?

Power BI gives me a one stop shop for dashboards on my customer data. As an Account Manager, it is very valuable to me to have information at my fingertips, and Power BI makes that happen. It is easy to use and navigate. It pulls in information from our SQL databases and excel reports - and combines all of that data into a beautiful dashboard! I am a visual person, so I appreciate the beauty :)

What do you dislike?

Perhaps I haven't taken the time to learn how to create my own dashboards, but I very much feel like I am at the will of our admin when it comes to dashboards. Another issue I have experienced is that it is a bit slow in getting to the data I need. I know I need to log in, select the dashboard, and then go do something else so I don't have to wait for it to load.

I can spot trends in my client base, making it easier for me to spot at risk clients and also clients I can upsell to. It helps me to see who best I should target for keeping and growing accounts.

Power BI review by Celil .
Celil .

"Power BI is very competitive in BI world"

What do you like best?

User experience (UX) is the top priority for Microsoft in Power BI. It has incredible abilities to query data from source, such as machine learning. Query, design and reaporting is in one tool, there is no need additional tools.

It can get data from all resources, even in web site frame structure, there is no need a table structure any more. If you have unstructured data in any resource, mechine learning can recognize/learn how to capture it and get data as you wish. If a data require editing with some excel operater (mid, left, find, etc.) you don't need any more to write any command or know excel. Power BI is doing it for you with machine learning technology, you just give some example about what you need in data and it recognize/learn how to get it than populate it.

Power BI has a lots of dashboard charts, very different range, very different purpose and you can find what you need. Charts looks soo pretty and configuration soo easy too. Again! machine learning using there. If you want create a report (using a chart), you can type what you need as you talking with a friend. Power BI create it simultaneously as you writting.

What do you dislike?

Actually, there is one thing I can say that if you are working with huge data, depending on your computer configuration and only with the desktop (free) version it is little bit slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best to fit your BI requirements if you not have TB level data.

Power BI is a BI, dashboard, data query and data modelling tool. You can report your data as quickly and easily as than the other competitors. With machine learning ability you can fast and easily get, querying, modelling and reporting your data. With AI supported insight ability you can drill down to the problems. If you want to more analyzing you can do it with R scripts in Power BI.

Power BI review by Benjamín R.
Benjamín R.

"Everyone can do BI"

What do you like best?

Full integration with all the Microsoft Office environment. If you are currently working with Excel Reports this is an excellent tool to improve your delivery.

What do you dislike?

The way you have to add tables to your model, if you already have a Dataware House built, you may feel that you are re working al your relationships.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an excellent tool if you are wondering wich tool can get fully integration with your excel reports,

Now we can scope in the hidden issues that we couldn't reach in the past. In the process of evaluating other expensive tools (BO, Cognos, Tableau, QlikSense) we started doing reports and dashboards in Power BI. You don't need to be an expert user.

Power BI review by Rod W.
Rod W.

"I've been waiting for this product for years! "

What do you like best?

Finally! Microsoft have brought the power of Excel Pivot tables, dynamic charting and ease-of-use to business intelligence and reporting. PowerBI makes creating reports, charts and dashboard easy, powerful and fun. A full range of connectivity options, DAX to get creative with, and a whole stack of custom visualizations keep the dashboards looking great and modern.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike at all. It's priced right, is easy to use and delivers powerful reporting in a Microsoft environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download free trial and test it out. Be sure to visit the visualizations download pages and browse the extensive range of custom plug-ins.

Browse the community around PowerBI to get tips and tricks.

Business dashboards, visualizations for KPIs. Fast development time with maximum visual impact.

Power BI review by Vijai T.
Vijai T.

"MS Next Gen Reporting Product"

What do you like best?

Its easy to use. Has both thick client to build reports offline. Once created you can easily publish them to the cloud. Ability to share the report to others users via public url, Embed it in iframe or using PowerBI API's to embed them to your application. Nice set of charts around 20 types of charts to visualize the data.Good Integration support with lot of Database variations.

What do you dislike?

They need to support easy integration with Dropbox, Google drive and other ways to refresh data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's definitely a good product and from pricing point of view it's competitive. Also supports Cloud and On-premise solution.

Using this tool to do Business Intelligence, Analytics, Prediction using R, nice Dashboards.

Power BI review by Administrator in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
Administrator in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Microsoft Power BI Review"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Power BI is a very intuitive tool to help you gain greater insights into your data. With slightly advanced computer knowledge and little to no programming skills, you can create analytics that bring actionable data to the forefront of daily business.

What do you dislike?

Many times while using Power BI, it is frustrating that various data conversions cause your query type to switch from DirectQuery to Import. On very large data sets, this is quite difficult to do as importing massive amounts of information can slow down the query. Through various upgrades, though, I have seen Microsoft taking steps to allow DirectQuery with more data types and conversions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Utilize any trial period that Microsoft offers. It took us quite some time to determine how to best use the data. Once you figure out how to use Power BI, it can turn into data overload. It's very important to develop a plan of what you are looking for, before delving into Power BI. If you're looking to just get "more out of your data" when trying Power BI, you may be on data overload. Develop a plan that specifically lays out how you're looking to get more out of your data.

The largest business problem we are looking to solve is combining data from multiple, non-integrated programs. For instance, combining data from a vehicle booking system, passenger booking system, and fleet maintenance software. Combining separated data has essentially allowed us to take data from four separate systems/databases, and display that actionable information on one dashboard. Employees who traditionally had to open four separate programs and navigate to reports in each program, can now see that same data on one screen.

Power BI review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Great Data Visualization Tool"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Power BI has allowed for me and my team to create more captivating presentations with ease. Once you learn the basics of importing data into the platform it the visualization toggles makes it easy to find the best options for leading clients through the data story. Some of the custom visualization add-ins create even more powerful insights, which gives users a plethora of options to choose from.

What do you dislike?

It took some time to figure out the best way to import the data for each visualization option. Some graphs are more straightforward than others when it comes to the formatting required. Connecting different data sets when attempting to compare information is also quite difficult in some cases. There is room for making this more of a seamless process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would give Microsoft Power BI a try when looking for better ways to display data. It is pretty simple to use once you understand how to import data, and is a much better upgrade than Excel charts.

I use Microsoft Power BI in order to shape the customer journey by using powerful visualizations that clearly display our data's value. The charts are more enticing than the normal Excel charts and help differentiate my work from that of a competitor's.

Power BI review by Gurjot K.
Gurjot K.

"Excellent"

What do you like best?

As a Power BI user, I am very happy with it as a user can use it to view reports across multiple platforms and devices. The other best about Power BI is its mobile app which is very useful to track, view and use reports when you are on your way. it also simplifies the process of extracting and presenting data with impressive and easy to understand visualizations.

What do you dislike?

Power BI max workbook size is 250 MB only, which is little inconvenient. it is also not able to change data.urce type in Power BI report.

We use Power BI to analyze the data by making powerful and perfectly visualized reports. We use these reports to track our sales and profits. With these reports, we are able to understand the behaviour of Customers and vendors.

Power BI review by Dennis J.
Dennis J.

"Easy to use self service BI"

What do you like best?

- many connectors to different Datasets

- out of the box for free

- easy to use

- with mobile app

- possibility to add local datasources over a datagateway

What do you dislike?

- no possibility for "good printing", the integrated print function doesnt work correctly

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a free version, so you can try it out!

If you already known DAX or powerpivot, the first start is very easy!

- Analyse Data from many different datasources and combine it....ERP, Excel and Sharepoint for example.

- Users are always up to date and i can easily puplish new reports

Power BI review by Ankit A.
Ankit A.

"Amazing Tool for Data Representation"

What do you like best?

Lot of Packages available to represent the data. Predictive and Visualization representation are very useful. Lot of users are implementing new packages and share the same with users which helps in find quick solution to our requirements. Open Source community as well provides help in case of any issues or solution needed

What do you dislike?

Issues with finding a central repository to find out the implementation of packages. Search more needed for finding the details of any package for example any package need to search a lot to find out the details.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Much needed understanding of R language to proceed with the tool.

Data Representation, Analysis, Visualization, Detailing, Training purpose as well. Open Source

Power BI review by User in Mining & Metals
User in Mining & Metals

"Strengths and Weaknesses of Microsoft Power BI"

What do you like best?

1-Free license and tool is available in Microsoft office as an alternative to expensive tools in the same field

2-Flexible to connect with multiple data sources and ERP systems

3-Training modules are available for users with good detailed explanation

4-Can publish review online for yourself and team-members and executives

5-Multiple layout for visualization

6.Data Visualization alternatives are rich without being excessively entangled. Outline sorts are organized and constrained to those that are truly significant, and custom perceptions make it simple to include some visual "bling" when it's vital or required.

7.Easy to distribute gatherings of information, reports, and dashboards in an "application" that clients in the business can undoubtedly discover and expend. Distributing model has become considerably less difficult, and we can dispatch updates to applications rapidly to our whole association

What do you dislike?

1.Editing data is bit difficult -- it requires dataset to be formatted in a particular manner, otherwise it will give errors and the user will end up most of the time in fixing the issue himself.

2.Every Time data is required to be refreshed, which leads to the issue of regenerating the visualization

3.Dashboards versus reports is frequently confounding to end clients, and the Q&A highlight in the dashboards never entirely appears to work like individuals anticipate that it will.

4.Reports' intelligent parts (slicers particularly) have an awkward client encounter that makes them difficult to get "ideal" for genuinely immersive intuitive announcing encounters.

5.Time-based cutting of information is enhancing, yet needs to develop more. Hard to cut to things like "two months back" still.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Inexpensive

- Rich in data visualizations

- User friendly

-Reports can be seen by multiple user

- Great platform for simplifications and automation of reports

1. It is used for Executive reviews for visualization and dashboards to provide insight in the business operations, marketing, finance. My organisation is using this because it comes free with Microsoft Office license. It provides similar services as other tools in the same field.

2. It is being used in my departmen,t but other functions are starting to explore this BI tool.

3. Visualization, dashboards, scorecards, easy to understand huge datasets through graphs and charts, flexible for users to connect with Excel

Power BI review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Department Head Becomes Self-Taught Super User"

What do you like best?

Their online video tutorials and do-it-yourself training got me on my feet quickly and I haven't stopped learning since. The monthly update videos and added functionality keep me curious and exploring new ways to understand my data. I'm a business leader without an IT background, but I have quickly become our resident Power BI expert, thanks to these videos, but also the intuitive nature of this easy to use product. The insights I have been able to glean over my first year with this product has been career changing.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the recent licensing changes which make it harder to share reports with colleagues that don't have the monthly Power BI Pro license. These are colleagues who don't need to actively use Power BI (and therefore do not justify a Pro licenses), but I would like to share an active dashboard with them for occasional viewing. Early on, this was possible and one of my favorite features, but Microsoft has (understandably) refocused their licensing to better monetize this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the self-guided tutorial to quickly understand how the product works and you will be up and running much more quickly than you would expect!

First and foremost, this has fundamentally shifted our internal culture and helped us take steps to become more data-driven. Our mountatins of excel spreadsheets are slowly being rethought and integrated into how we monitor our day-to-day operations and make informed decisions for the future.

We host hundreds of events and are using Power BI to understand our registration trends, our attendee audiences, our speakers and sponsors, and nearly every element of our processes as we look to improve our event execution.

Power BI review by Administrator in Insurance
Administrator in Insurance

"Easy to use self service business intelligence tool at a very competitive price."

What do you like best?

The tool is very easy to use for the user, and you get a sense of familiarity when using the tool since it follows the same setup as other Microsoft products with the ribbon command bar on top. The pricing is very competitive in regards to other self service business intelligence tools.

What do you dislike?

Understand the security aspect can be challenging and confusing at first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely do a proof of concept when looking at the different business intelligence platforms so you know which one will works with your business the best.

The business problems we are solving is letting the decision makers manipulate data sets however they want, whether they want to make a dashboard or a simple graph they can do that on their own without have to ask someone in IT. The benefits we have realized are being able to monitor important business key performance indicators.

Power BI review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Great visualization features"

What do you like best?

The visualization features and simple edits are really powerful. One can have little experience with data analysis but still be fairly comfortable with the tool. The drag and drop features for adding variables is easy to operate. The free license can make you try out features and get comfortable with the tool, and even in terms of license cost, i'd say it is reasonable.

What do you dislike?

Data editing and cleaning is not as seamless and flexible. Usually we have to go back to the database to make edits as that is far more simpler than making the edits in power BI.

Just testing the functionalities, to check if we can leverage the tool to provide better analysis and insights to data. Benefits in terms of powerful data visualization have been realized..

Power BI review by Bjoern S.
Bjoern S.

"The value for money Power BI provides is incredible"

What do you like best?

Microsoft Power BI is absolutely astonishing in regards to the value it provides for the money. For a lot of uses cases, i.e. in marketing cost data aggregation, you can stop using a Data Warehouse. Compiling reports on a Onedrive for Business and using them as a self updating data source is enough.

Secondly: The REST API of PowerBI is amazing, once you get used to the complex authentication process Microsoft forces you through. We've built out realtime multi-data source mobile dashboards for clients that cost them essentially zero dollars per month.

What do you dislike?

The Power BI desktop software should provide more authentication methods to allow power users to directly connect to Web APIs. Also support options for Microsoft PowerBI are not up to par. You can either use free support or pay several hundred dollars per ticket. The licensing scheme with Microsoft Office 365 seems overly complex, it's hard to understand why it's included as a free version in some schemes but can't be updated to PowerBI Pro.

Marketing cost data aggregation is our main use case, but we've also built our own reporting eco system for mid scale ecommerce merchants, pulling shop data and merging it with amazon and ebay store data.

Power BI review by Fraser C.
Fraser C.

"Great tool for analysis of sales reps"

What do you like best?

How easy it is to get started, especially for someone who does have have a data science background.

What do you dislike?

The fact that I don’t know how to use the whole program. Still a lot to learn.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give the desktop (free) version a shot and create some reports. If you see the value, it’s worth the upgrade to PowerBi service to be able to share and create dashboards

Allows me to easily assemble charts that tel the story of how my sales reps are quoting and closing orders. I can compare best reps and see who my best customers are with a simple click.

Power BI review by Dayna G.
Dayna G.

"Power BI at our firm"

What do you like best?

I love being able to show our data is different formats at a glance.

What do you dislike?

The things I dislike about Power BI is only from a standpoint of creating new tiles and some of the features. I feel they are constantly enhancing the product, as it is a fairly new product, and will eventually add all the features.

Seeing the data visually tells a different story than just looking at a report. For example, seeing a negative number on a report is just a regular number. Seeing a negative number on a graph stands out and catches your eye immediately. All of our data is tied directly into Deltek Vision. We have found some errors in bookkeeping that were quickly noticed and fixed. In addition, we have refined some process since Power BI is live data and needs to be accurate.

Power BI review by Karim I.
Karim I.

"Amazing Data tool"

What do you like best?

How much faster it is to parse, filter, or analyze very amounts of data than compared to excel.

What do you dislike?

Maybe its the way the dashboard I used was designed, but it's really complicated to export data to excel. It should be easier to download the selected data to excel. Also, browsers can only search visible text even though I might have dashboard with 1000 rows of data I will only be able to search the data visible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very quick and efficient way of analyzing large amounts of data

Developing trends and insights from large amounts of sales and market data.

Power BI review by Samantha B.
Samantha B.

"If you are intermediate or better with Excel, this is the BI tool for you"

What do you like best?

- Flashy visualizations make it easy to make a strong business case to executives

- Extremely easy to pick up if you already use Excel every day (it is for the most part Power Pivot with added features)

- You can share your dashboards with others who do not have Power BI by hosting them online (some competing products, such as Qlikview, do not allow this with the free version)

- Free option or $10/mo. premium option

- There are a TON of different data sources you can connect directly into Power BI. Possibly more so than most other BI tools offer.

- Plays nicely with the rest of the MS Office suite

What do you dislike?

- Probably very hard for those without Excel experience to figure out how to properly massage data in order to make the nice visualizations work

- Natural language queries don't work as well as you'd think from the demos

- Can require dozens of hours if not more to properly set up/massage data for use (however, once your dashboard set it up, it can be of use for a long time thanks to data refresh options)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would strongly recommend taking Excel and Powerpivot courses first before trying to use Power BI if you are not already familiar with these tools. If you do not have Excel experience, you'd be better served by a competing product.

Analyzing user experience data through our various communications channels using Power BI. New reports help us look at the data in a new way in order to make improvements. Also useful for communicating things simply to executives rather than sending them long-winded written reports.

Power BI review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Great tool for creating interactive dashboards"

What do you like best?

This is great for creating interactive dashboards to share with multiple users. The features and abilities make this much better than a simple excel document and make it easy to share with other users.

What do you dislike?

UI is slightly complex and can be a bit confusing to navigate. Sometimes login fails.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this program when you need to create easy to use and easy to read analytic dashboards to share across members of your business.

Ability to share dashboards and analytics with multiple users in an easy way.

Power BI review by Pinar M.
Pinar M.

"Understanding your business "

What do you like best?

It's integrated and gives good feed back on your business and account. Especially if you are handling many accounts and you are trying to find out where your time is going.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to set up and understand in the beginning. You bump along the road a little bit with the way you learn. Working with someone who has use this program would be beneficial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great system to know what business is holding our attention and you can use that to your advantage when discussing the work needed to put into their account.

A lot of customers handled within the business take up a looted amount of time. The account is assigned based on the volume but not he work the customer demands. This way now you know the demand and the volume. You realize it's not a one man job or it is.

Power BI review by User in Wireless
User in Wireless

"Used on daily basis for sales reporting and funnel reporting and projection"

What do you like best?

I like the highlights when you hover over your performance. It gives a quick snapshot of trends and projections. We use it on a daily basis for our sales reporting and it gives me valuable insight into what I need to do and where I need to focus.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that sometimes data is not updated as frequently as I would like. This is likely due to upload issues from our data sources so I cannot fault my ops team or Microsoft for this.

We are helping to be more focused on our sales projections and funnel operations. The benefit is a single user interface to access all the data.

Power BI review by Lenny W.
Lenny W.

"Natural Language Query in Power BI is mind blowing!"

What do you like best?

I love Power BI. It is a cloud version of Power Excel (Power Query, Power Pivot, Power View, and Power Map).

It seamlessly integrates the features of Power Excel and makes dashboard building a breeze.

What do you dislike?

I would prefer the Power BI interface looking more colorful and vibrant. Right now, all default settings are black and white, making it not only dull looking, but requires manual customization on all settings, which takes time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep checking Power BI`s website as they publish updates on a monthly basis.

Processing transaction data and making internal calculations before dump them to visual charts in a Dashboard.

The benefits are easier to generate as most are automated processes.

Power BI review by Malvika G.
Malvika G.

"PowerBI Review"

What do you like best?

Really good way of making KPIs, show status and use the dashboard as project control tools. Good number of charts are also available, which makes defining charts easier.

Providing flexibility to develop/customize charts with R is also great and useful.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is difficult to use, and hard to write DAX. Needs some more improvement with some charts and general usage.

Developing dashboards for clients, and benefits are -

1. reduction in dashboard development, no/less coding required.

2. Ease of interaction with the charts.

Power BI review by User in Financial Services

"Game Changer for aggregating and deciphering data"

What do you like best?

I love that Power Bi can create graphs and charts depending on the information you plug in. There are several dashboards that I use to look at all kinds of information to see how well my team and the company is performing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes filtering for additional details is tricky if you aren't familiar with how to use the product. There are so many options that it can be overwhelming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a tool to help you understand your business in terms of KPIs and other factors that influence the business, then I would recommend looking into getting BI.

We can track employee performance much easier with BI. We can also keep track of where we stand with company goals and where we are expected to be at the end of the quarter.

Power BI review by Arthur G.
Arthur G.

"User Friendly BI tool with some limitations"

What do you like best?

Powerful and easy to use.

UI.

Connectivity to all kinds of data sources.

Interactive dashboards.

Insights Option.

What do you dislike?

Data Editing is bit complicated; huge learning curve to understand how to manipulate the data and what data sets go into which box to be displayed correctly on the screen.

Easily able to generate reports, pair it with an ETL tool that I was using, and pretty much speed up a few reporting processes.

Power BI review by Vishal S.
Vishal S.

"Reasonable and powerful"

What do you like best?

It is both a web based analytics tool and has a Microsoft Excel Add-in. I like the fact that you can import and integrate both text based data sets and ODBC connectors to this product connecting disparate data sets inorder to create a very powerful product

What do you dislike?

$10/month per user makes it difficult to provide each user a license if you are a small company. The graphing capabilities are still in its infancy relative to a tableau or FinPro visualizer....

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for an individual contributor. This is definitely not an enterprise level product with built in collaboration capabilities. But it is definitely headed in the right direction.

Trend analytics, dashboarding, visual appeal, realtime data are few of the problems you can solve with BI. Have realized tremendous benefit at a relatively low cost of ownership

Power BI review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Powerful potential"

What do you like best?

Power BI integrates well with databases, Excel, and external sites such as Salesforce. There's a lot of potential revolving around it's analytics. Really easy to pick up on if you know Excel.

What do you dislike?

Currently some of its tools are just not as flexible as those in excel. Not enough flexibility around customizing graphs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try Power BI if you're in operations looking for a tool that's easy to pick up on and that has the ability to flexibly connect to data sets in scattered locations.

Creating dashboards and using its sharing ability to provide data for different individuals at varying sharing levels in the company. Integrating large datasets to create digestible and useful visuals for key performance indicators.

Power BI review by Dr Julie B.
Dr Julie B.

"PowerBI"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that you can use many sources of data to connect to and gather insights, it is also very cool the different graphics that you have the ability to use and display. I could see the power of the tool, and the fact that you can do customized transactions using the sources of data

What do you dislike?

It is very difficult when data is not complete or needs a lot of scrubbing ahead of time. And it seems like Microsoft always wants data feeds, or API's to send data, and that is not always going to be the case. It seemed like the tool had the ability to remember the "scrubbing" you did on the data, but it sure did not make it easy to set this up with just Excel data. It was also not very intuitive when it came to publishing results out on the web. I eventually got that part to slightly work but with a lot of help from the contact at Microsoft - which is I am sure not what they want to be doing. Since it is a relatively new tool, I am assuming they will build more video help because they do not have a lot of resources yet that help a user to walk through the set up.

I have used it in a Toastmasters district, we were trying to see if there was ANY insight we could gain about members we lose each year, we just did not have enough good data, and the contact we had a Microsoft seemed to only be interested in direct delivery of data from Toastmasters to the tool, and there was no such mechanism. So, the tool just did not seem to work well with multiple disparate Excel files as sources

Power BI review by Daniel M.
Daniel M.

"Business must have to know how you run "

What do you like best?

It provides you with a sense of where you business is and how much you spend on each task. Especially how much you put into one customer and how much you recieve in from other companies.

What do you dislike?

There's definitely a learning curve. Maybe even a good idea to have someone set it up for you that is more technical. Also running and resding the repost at first is confusing but once you get the hang of it it pays off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have technical support help you. Don't be too proud. If you implement it right you will get the right results.

A lot of customers are requesting more than the business you thought them for. You spend more on one or less on another. Which isn't fair for you or them. This way you can reallocate as needed.

Power BI review by Consultant in Medical Devices
Consultant in Medical Devices

"PowerBI Review"

What do you like best?

I like how dynamic all of the graphs/visuals are. I also like how you can direct query with databases such as SQL. Ability to manipulate loaded data and seamlessly link tables is also a plus.

What do you dislike?

It isn't as easy to get a hang of than simply building graphs/visuals with excel. However, the finished product and your capacity to analyze data is well worth it. The organization I work for uses a lot of confidential data, so our ability to publish our reports for clients/internal use is very limited. Eventually we will be able to get some security enhancements, but it will be costly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool. I highly recommend taking online courses or training. There are a lot of hidden gems with PowerBI and these will help you get the most out of it

I am able to directly like PowerBI with our database to create automated reports. I also enjoy the ArcGIS feature that helps map our data. This will prove useful for sales targeting

Power BI review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Taking Microsoft BI to the next level"

What do you like best?

The best part of Microsoft Power BI is that it builds upon, and enhances the company's pre-existing business intelligence software. The same engines that drive Excel's PowerPivot add-in and SQL Server Analysis Services exist within Power BI's backend. This has allowed a seamless transition into using this product for my team and me. The ability to import data models from PowerPivot directly has been awesome!

What do you dislike?

I'm reminded of the stereotypical interview answer to the question "What are some of your weaknesses?" Sometimes I care TOO much. Sometimes I work TOO hard. Well, Power BI's "weakness" that comes to mind is the frequency with which your desktop version must be updated to stay current. There are monthly updates published by Microsoft, which often include new, community-inspired features and functionalities. It can be annoying to stay on top of these updates, but the fact that Microsoft is constantly improving their product is definitely a PLUS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It doesn't currently have the same computing/analytical power as other BI packages like Tableau, Microstrategy, etc. but it is very easy to use, builds on existing products offered by Microsoft, and is significantly cheaper. As far as visualizations go, it's up there with the best.

Because the same PowerPivot engine resides within the Power BI package, it has been easy for my team and I to begin incorporating Power BI into our typical workflow. By building data models within the PowerPivot environment, we have set ourselves up to supplement our reporting packages with sleek, interactive, easy-to-use visualizations in order to deliver better solutions to upper management, executive groups, and anyone that might not be interested the lower level of granularity.

Power BI review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Microsoft BI and ORACLE EBs... The Fantastic Duo..."

What do you like best?

It easy to use, powerfull, lighting fast and meet all the requirements in terms of security, audit and SOX compliance (if used with Sharepoint). I'm amazed on how fast is to drill down and slice millions of records inside excel.

I'm using Power Pivot with a datamodel that contains 11 millions rows and I'm create Financial Reporting in a sec.

What do you dislike?

The sharing workbook and automatic refresh functionality is available only if you have Sharepoint. The Incrememtal update is not yet supported yet. There is a new component called Power BI Designer that combines POWEQUERY and POWER PIVOT in a single place... Stunning....

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'll highly suggest PowerBI as dash boarding and analysis tool. It is FREE, easy to use and with DAX users can achieve very complex KPI.

We were looking for a replacement for OBIEE and Oracle Discoverer. Guess what... Here it is... POWERBI is the right tool. We are using SQL SErver 2012 and SSIS in order to have ORacle Tables replicated and we have created different Datamodels for different business needs. We were able to integrate Oracle EBS securities and we were able to segregate responsibilities.

Power BI review by Cole T.
Cole T.

"Great potential... but still a great deal of work to be done"

What do you like best?

As a power pivot, power query, and all around power user of excel, I love that Power BI is a familiar BI tool for me. Its also offers simple, easy to understand visuals, and the ability to create and import new visuals.

What do you dislike?

Many features necessary in a BI tool are still in development, and the ability to share data across the organization is still only half-baked. I need the ability to publish Power BI Desktop reports and all the data associated with the report to multiple/different workspaces other than my own. PBI is also missing pivot table like functionality - although visuals are great, sometimes you need to show the numbers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you implement soon, be prepared to be "content" for awhile - that platform is still expanding and each new release includes many new features that we are all waiting on. However, that said, I think it is incredible powerful if you have experience with Power Query and use Excel and Onedrive.

We are solving the big-data problem. We currently have data living in so many different platforms, and PBI allows us to bring it together and present it to stakeholders in easy to read dashboard. The platform, similar to excel, has allowed us to blend data "automatically" that previously required hours of manual excel work and/or makeshift automation.

Power BI review by Consultant

"Easy to use frendly dashboard, graph sql server analyze"

What do you like best?

The most easy software for analyze BI.. realy easy to use install , cloud analyser is perfect.. we can use by team at the same time

What do you dislike?

The cost, like every Microsoft product it's not an open source. Les fonctionnalités Intelligence offrent d’autres façons de trouver et d’utiliser vos vidéos. Ainsi, tout le monde peut accéder facilement et rapidement au contenu pertinent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Connect directly to your data – on premises or in the cloud, real-time and streaming data.

Ask questions in natural language, and predictive visualizations appear as you type.

Create your own custom visuals using the open framework, or choose from more than 100 visuals created by the community.

Use the Quick Insights feature to uncover predictive patterns, associations, and trends hidden in your data.

We analise our hadoop enviroment, we find out how optimise our data

Power BI review by Michele N.
Michele N.

"Powerful tool"

What do you like best?

The flexibility of integrated data sources

What do you dislike?

Depending on data source, it can very complex to get the data you want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

PowerBI is a great addition to your organization if you are looking for a visualization tool that can take your data from anywhere, let you add and manipulate it for a great insight into where the dollars are going and coming.

Its a great visualization tool that allow me to take a dynamic excel spreadsheet and create real time results and KPIs.

Power BI review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"Still Has a Way to Go, but Power BI Will be a Great Tool"

What do you like best?

I love the Mashup engine that easily allows power users to format data for easy and improved visuals. The combination of being able to use the GUI and development allows users of different levels of computer knowledge still create nice looking dashboards.

What do you dislike?

Some of the features are not intuitive and things you would think should be easy take some research to figure out. Also, while it is great they are rolling out regular updates, it can be hard to keep up with all the new features and sometimes these updates will affect existing dashboards.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are already using Office 365, then Power BI is a great fit and probably a cheaper option then other BI programs. Not quite up to the standard of top software but heading in that direction.

We use Power BI as a cloud-based dashboard tool to share KPIs with both corporate executives and the field to measure performance in various department defined reports.

Power BI review by Scott G.
Scott G.

"Power BI Review"

What do you like best?

The ability to connect to multiple data sources and build reports that refresh automatically. Reports are easily shared to our employees and are available any time they wish to see an update. It got me out of producing and sending spreadsheets all the time for reporting.

What do you dislike?

The fact that this product is still very new and continues to have issues. We use SharePoint as one of our data sources and there continue to be issues connecting to this data source. Power BI support admits that they continue to have issues and that the product needs to become more stable. Reports that refresh fine for a period of time can begin to have issues when no changes have been made by us.

Providing sales analytics data to our field staff and internal management.

Power BI review by Akhil R.
Akhil R.

"Microsoft Power BI Tool"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Microsoft Power BI is its very easy to use and also it has vast range of data sources available which can be used for reporting purpose. The tool is readily available and one can download it very easily from Microsoft's site.

What do you dislike?

The visualisations are not very good when compared to other visualisation tools like Tableau, SAP Lumira etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Visualisations could be better, because there are various tools in market which have very good visualisations.

I worked in two poc's for my client in which we were using Microsoft Power BI. Microsoft Power BI is very easy to use tool and has very good functionality.

Power BI review by Maggie S.
Maggie S.

"Reliable"

What do you like best?

The dashboard function conveniently provides you with an overview of the status of all your projects. It keeps you up to date with the current standings of the organization. And collaboration can be easily done with the Sharepoint function.

What do you dislike?

There's a bit of a learning curve going from excel to Power BI, it would be great to have better tutorials for new users. It would also be great for Power BI to have better integration with other products. Lastly, the file size limit could be an issue for users working with large data sets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a bit of a learning curve, be prepared.

We use Power BI to keep track of our projects, collaborate on work, data storage, data presentation, and generate reports. It gives us a good data storage and analytics platform.

Power BI review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Powerful but easy to learn"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it has been to use Power BI to generate useful and practical insights. I have no formal business analysis background except for the basic level of Excel skills that everyone in the corporate world has these days. Even with just that background, however, I have been able to pick up Power BI and create useful data visulations with very little training. If you know how to use Excel, you can use this.

What do you dislike?

While the product is easy to pick up in general, some of the most useful features are not immediately obvious. Finding out how to use dashboards properly and how to get the most benefit out of them took some time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Microsoft is very regularly providing significant updates to the tool - it just keeps getting more powerful!

Our businesses requires a lot of data that's extracted from legacy systems to be cut and analysed in different ways. This was usually done manually in Excel, which was time-consuming and introduced lots of opportunities for errors. Power BI has significantly improved the workflow in that regard.

Power BI review by User

"Powerful visualization"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. Intuitive to a good extent. videos provided on Microsoft's website to get started as well as plenty of content online from other sources. Variety of visuals available. Aesthetically pleasing. Ability to link to various data sources including Excel, Access, SQL server, Azure, etc. Ability to share dashboards with other members in the group.

What do you dislike?

Dependence on the data source configuration for schedules refreshes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start with the free version

Strong visualization in a dashboard format that is easy to set up and doesn't require third party experts. It helps communicate metrics in a less boring way and is easy to understand at all levels.

Power BI review by Sai Gireesh P.
Sai Gireesh P.

"Go for it, if and only, if Money is a constraint"

What do you like best?

It is relatively cheap when compared to the likes of Tableau, Qlik and others

What do you dislike?

The Map view is the worst amongst all BI Tools

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for basic bI reports; Map view is not at all good. Visualisation scope is vast but not as user friendly a Tableau

We used to integrate it with out website which showed real estate data

Power BI review by Pierpaolo L.
Pierpaolo L.

"Great self service BI tool"

What do you like best?

I like the visuals and the addons available, extremely user friendly and able to connect to multiple data sources.

Monthly updates leads to constant improvement of the platform

What do you dislike?

- Server tool

- Pro license mandatory to share reports

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for self service and data analyst; lack on Server side

PowerBI is utilized for internal purposes for P&L analyses graphical representation over the different projects and the company, and the global company progress/forecast itself

Power BI review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Power BI: Our Game Changer"

What do you like best?

Power BI is an analytics and data visualization program for those with little-to-no IT experience. While it is complex and has unlimited potential, it's also fairly easy to get started with. The online tutorial videos are informative, and provide step-by-step guidance. The Community Forum is a great go-to place to resolve issues, attain query support, and really connect with a community of other users.

What do you dislike?

I have no dislikes at this stage. My experience with the product has been very positive and I enjoy working with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Connect with your local User Group via the Power BI Community Forum. Check the Forum as often as you can. I also recommend that you check out the publications out there on Power BI, including the blogs and books that have been written by Microsoft staff. Microsoft also released monthly upgrades to install improvements and resolve the bugs - so be sure to download that as often as you can.

I cannot say enough about the online tutorials and videos. You can find them on the forum or on YouTube.

Power BI is giving us the opportunity to streamline our reporting and how we interpret our data. Rather than analyzing endless excel spreadsheets, power bi is enabling us to tell a story of how our company has grown in the past few years. We are working across departments to share our information, and the information is helping us diagnose opportunities within the organization which we were previously missing.

Power BI review by Tahar O.
Tahar O.

"Great, flexible, easy and... free!"

What do you like best?

Well it's free, so it marks some good points already. The ability to connect several apps and gather data through alternatives sources (CSV) is quite interesting.

What do you dislike?

The free version has recently lost some feathers so it is not clear if it as practical as it was before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look for the new limitations on the free version.

Getting insights on all the business data that we generate. We also don't need to login into multiple dashboard to get data.

Power BI review by Administrator

"Power BI Review"

What do you like best?

Power BI is an excellent data visualization or reporting tool. Their best function is the ability to connect to many different kinds of data sources. However, I believe its custom visual gallery and easy-to-build mobile reporting view is what makes Power BI standout from the rest of its competitors.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the current limitation in color themes, the mobile features are also lacking without android not being updated compared to IOS, and Power BI could really do to polish its core visualizations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

NA

Power BI is a business reporting tool that brings interactive reports, beautiful visualizations, and the ability to share dashboards with the consumer.

Power BI review by Raghu N.
Raghu N.

"Amazing Data Visualization tool which is quite user friendly."

What do you like best?

Constant updates and improvements.

Access to dashboards is really easy, and publish as web page

Integration with Microsoft Office is easy.

What do you dislike?

If you are not familiar with Excel working with this tool will be difficult initially.

When you have huge data to work with, the tool lags a bit.

Connectivity with non Microsoft tools is not that great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a fresher and work love to explore data visualization, this is a perfect tool to start.

We used Power BI for developing interactive dashboards throughout our department. It works great!

Power BI review by User in Internet

"Get more insights on the data you collect"

What do you like best?

I love the reports and visuals you can pull for your salesforce data. I have a monthly recurring revenue goal that in salesforce is hard to calculate, but Power BI makes it really easy to see where I am making gains and need to make improvements. I can also build reports that will give me some insight on the health of my clients through product usage.

What do you dislike?

There is so much that can be done in Power BI that it can be overwhelming. I wish there was a way to set up quick report views rather than saving the report link in my chrome bookmark bar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a powerful tool but is hard to get going sometimes. Our company needed a data analyst and tool expert to come in and help get us started and configure reports, without this help we would have only scratched the surface of the capabilities.

Reporting and data collection. Salesforce has a ton of details in it but it is hard to pull in insights from all that info. Power BI gives you the tools to collect and collate that data and gives you easy to digest and visually appealing reports back.

Power BI review by Consultant in Entertainment
Consultant in Entertainment

"Microsoft Power BI"

What do you like best?

At first glance, it appears this software may be a little more difficult than what I've been used to but within a few days, I was perfectly fine. The "help" button has been a life saver or of course, just popping my head over to a coworker. But again, the user friendly aspect to it is great and if you've used a similar software model, you'll be fine.

What do you dislike?

The initial process to start up was a little confusing as I mentioned above but after some training sessions and messing around with it, I felt completely fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be sure to read up on the user side of things and have a clear understanding of how to utilize it to your benefit.

Collecting data for our overall variety of product and the benefits are solely that it's efficient, timely, and a smooth process for all users.

Power BI review by Administrator in Industrial Automation
Administrator in Industrial Automation

"Very cool tool. Excited to see what comes of it in the very near feature"

What do you like best?

the user interface of it & graphs give it a more modern look of what business intelligence software should look like. I am quite surprised that it has taken so long for a software like this to come across my face. It really is a pleasure to start to use software like this rather than always resorting to Microsoft excel and using pivot tables and such just to come up with some data.

What do you dislike?

how difficult it is to sometimes come up with and match charts

Recommendations to others considering the product

get help from a microsoft partner for training and utilize the website online. I would also say to check out some of the videos that they post.

deeper dive into analytics of survey responses. Insight into what our employees have to say about our function

Power BI review by Thomas J. C.
Thomas J. C.

"Powerful BI tool included with Office365"

What do you like best?

If you are familiar with other Microsoft tools, especially Excel, you should have no issues getting started with Power BI. I like that you can create multiple different dashboards and choose who you share them with.

What do you dislike?

When you try to connect Power BI with a SQL Server database and draw data from there, the tool becomes far less intuitive. It might partly be my own fault because I'm no database developer, but I wish there were more guides to be able to make the most out of pulling data from complex databases.

We're trying to improve the efficiency with which real-time data on our business is shared with upper management.

Power BI review by Vickie S.
Vickie S.

"PowerBI - Slick dashboard but can be clunky"

What do you like best?

Sharing data across a group is nice. It is really easy to use and the dashboards look good.

What do you dislike?

At times, it is easier to use Excel depending on what you want to do with the data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are really comfortable with Excel, you can pick this up quickly. There are great videos online to learn the product

We are using this to look at and share data across groups.

Power BI review by Abhinav R.
Abhinav R.

"Using Power BI as an exploratory tool, implementing a full blown solution shortly"

What do you like best?

- Integration with familiar tools (MS Office) - eg. conditional formatting, sorting, power pivot, etc.

- Relatively user friendly and intuitive

- Cost - licenses included in MS SQL and Office licenses

- High and easy availability

- Easy connection to multiple types of DBs - Oracle, Microsoft, Access, Salesforce, etc.

- Report subscriptions

What do you dislike?

- power BI reports had trouble with large amounts of data - but could be because I was using a local data source

- ran into a few errors with NULL header column names (provided feedback and microsoft added this to their fix list)

- the types of visualizations are limited (but will meet most needs). Though MS is improving on this

- enhanced drag-drop - like tableau - would be great

- a standalone tool for BI designing is in preview mode - that is a little buggy

Recommendations to others considering the product

- bright future

- costs are low, support is great

- open architecture - so can switch to any visualization tool in the future

- familiar toolset - MS Office

Will be using power BI as a full blown Business Intelligence solution. We are exploring the idea, however, it meets and exceeds our requirements and will be implementing this at an enterprise level shortly.

Power BI review by Siang Hoe, L.
Siang Hoe, L.

"Powerful BI Solution"

What do you like best?

Ability to seamlessly link vast array of data sources from simple Excel to big data Hadoop. Familar Microsoft UI interface makes learning curve small.

What do you dislike?

Really easy to use and learn interface, nothing to disllke.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out the natural language search aka ask a question about your data. It was a fantastic feature where even a person without technical knowledge of the data e.g. upper management could do analysis of the data just by asking question!

Merging data from multiple sources and perform analysis on different angles to improve on our advertising strategy,

Power BI review by Ruth E.
Ruth E.

"Best product for visualizations!"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, extract - transform - load data from many sources with just few clicks.

Presents massive data in simple visualizations that can easily comprehend.

Love it! Plus there is desktop and online service version.

What do you dislike?

Powerbi is still in its young stage and there is always upgrades and improveme from Microsoft. Whatever dislike I have now might be resolve in the next update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and you will love it. The visualizations and the constant updates and upgrades will blow your mind

Visualizing massive data in simple form to give instant insights.

Power BI review by User in Gambling & Casinos
User in Gambling & Casinos

"Great visualization/reporting tool "

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to get a usable visualization up and running. You define your dataset and the rest is pretty straightforward. If you're more advanced, there's a lot you can do for datasets, data modeling, DAX expressions, etc. I also like how they are continually coming out with updates. Every month it just gets better and better. The iPhone and Android app also makes Power BI stick out. Alerts can be turned on the app and you can receive updates when you data changes. Also, they are constantly adding data source components, so always check out the updates so you don't miss out on anything.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I wish the visualizations weren't so simple. It kind of takes away from the creativity. They kind of make up for that by allowing you to make custom d3.js visualizations but sometimes I just want to customize an existing out of the box visual. Remember also that this is more of a dashboarding and visualization tool, and not meant to be a pixel perfect type of report.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free to try so you have nothing to lose.

At the moment I am solving HR analytical problems. Dashboarding has really helped in getting a general sense of the data.

Power BI review by Executive Sponsor in Research
Executive Sponsor in Research

"Good, but not great"

What do you like best?

The tool is easy to use and drag and drop. You can very quickly build great analtyics

What do you dislike?

The new pricing model. It requires that everyone at the firm have a paid license which is ridiculous when most end users just need to be able to see the analytics

Recommendations to others considering the product

The pricing model changed recently. Make sure before you buy you understand their new pricing model for users other than the super users

Better business analytics that are easy to achieve. We can run reports very quickly that used to take hours to run.

Power BI review by Michael K.
Michael K.

"NIce packaging, fairly powerful, but lacking some important details"

What do you like best?

The presentation of the views -- very professional appearing, solid. Ability to readily merge data from disparate sources.

What do you dislike?

Inability to deep-dive with the data unless you've set it up just so. This tool is like any other software tool and is only as good as the queries you set up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth a look.

Problems--single dimension views of data. Benefits: Holistically better exposure to data from multiple sources.

Power BI review by Jessica J.
Jessica J.

"Powerful"

What do you like best?

Power BI is more than just a cloud service for sharing reports, data sets, dashboards and charts. It can generate reports, create customized dashboard, and perform advance data analysis such as statistical modeling and optimization. It is a powerful data manipulation and visualization tool. I also like that Cortana is incorporated into Power BI, making it even more easy to use. Also, it can handle large data sets.

What do you dislike?

The browser version doesn't have all the features of the desktop version, it can only perform basic analysis. You need the desktop version for more intensive data manipulation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a free version that users can try out before paying for a paid version. However, the free version has limited storage size.

I use Power BI for data manipulation, dashboard, and data visualization. It is also useful for keep track on trends.

Power BI review by Rodrigo A.
Rodrigo A.

"Using Microsoft BI in a small business "

What do you like best?

Microsoft Power is easy and intuitive to use. I got around to use the platform while working for a small startup in Montreal. The reports it produces are nice and crisp and the info is useful to target pain points.

What do you dislike?

It is somewhat long to get around to know how to maximise its performance. It is easy to start yet a bit hard to master.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to know yourself around the software before producing your first reports. Get to know your way in and out and it will work in your favor.

We were looking at attendence of events and dollard spent by consumers and we could perfect our offering.

Power BI review by User in Computer Software

"Positive Experience with Power BI"

What do you like best?

Power BI is extremely flexible and cost effective. We're able to utilize PBI for reporting across our entire organization.

What do you dislike?

Our organization has around 200 employees and Power BI Premium doesn't make sense until we would reach around 500 employees. I wish it made more financial sense for us to take advantage of Premium.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of connecting Power BI to a cube.

Self service BI has enabled us to leave much of the report creation responsibilities to our business users and free up or more technical teams to other challenges.

Power BI review by User

"Power BI - Easy to use Data Analysis"

What do you like best?

Easy to set up, can share with non-users with a web link, can modify the data analysis on the fly, uses live dynamic data

What do you dislike?

A few features would be nice to have, like the ability to apply conditional formatting to columns and cells instead of the whole table and the ability for licensed users to edit the queries online instead of having to download the desktop version

Recommendations to others considering the product

The free Desktop version is great for simply creating dashboards to share via a web link. The Pro Version is a great deal as part of the Office 365 licensing.

Tracking student statistics to improve graduation rate. We have been able to identify errors in enrollment to avoid losing Daily Attendance funding.

Power BI review by Katherine Arion g.
Katherine Arion g.

"Micorsoft Power Bl"

What do you like best?

I like how it is updated in real time and that can unify all of your organization’s data, whether in the cloud or on-premises. Using the Power BI gateways, you can connect SQL Server databases, Analysis Services models, and many other data sources to your same dashboards in Power BI. If you already have reporting portals or applications, embed Power BI reports and dashboards for a unified experience.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have any dislikes. Everything works well.

I have noticed that it publishes reports securely to my previous organization and setup automatic data that refreshes, so everyone has the latest information.

Power BI review by Michael R.
Michael R.

"Needs clean data and a small data set"

What do you like best?

The cost and availability is unmatched. Some other tools can be obtained on the time-trial basis, but overall Power BI is an excellent way to get to information visualization in an expedient manner.

What do you dislike?

As with any data visualization tool, the quality of data must be attended to prior to exposing it to Power BI. My data was in Excel - 1M rows, about 90 columns, obviously normalized. The data upload failed a couple of times (non-descriptive error was presented). Support indicated that I should have gone through SQL Server/Azure instead. Working on that now.

Simple data set worked fine, but business data is never simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Concentrate on the data quality first. Experiment with a number of information formats prior to loading data into Power BI. Familiarity with Azure is beneficial.

Need to analyze market/customer opportunities, assess risk of business operations. The benefits were to segment prospect companies by revenue, geography, complexity and other factors. Ease of presentation to executives and decision makers. Dashboards are available online and accessible from anywhere. The performance seems to be adequate, albeit the data set is relatively small.

Other use cases require analysis of 200-500 million records. An update will be posted upon completion of that project.

Power BI review by Consultant in Civil Engineering
Consultant in Civil Engineering

"Easy to use option for monitoring anayltics"

What do you like best?

Seemless platform that is easy to use and adapatble to what you or your company needs.

What do you dislike?

There is not a lot that I disliked; I do wish there was a version of the program that was meant for individuals who do not have business intelligence experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Review one of the trials or tutorials to see if this is right for you.

Through Power BI, we were able to monitor sales, inventory, efficiency, and a variety of other KPI's to determine our current status and the areas we needed to focus on to improve our business. Power BI is so easy to use and allows you to customize what you want to see.

Power BI review by Sriranjitha A.
Sriranjitha A.

"User Interface,Accessibility,Security"

What do you like best?

Power BI is one of the best and interactive visualizations tools in the market. One can create custom visualizations as per the business needs. Row-level security is the best feature that is available on power BI. Data gateway management feature is also remarkable. Most powerful data management tool.

What do you dislike?

Limit on size of datasets. Power BI will not accept larger files. Every time data needs to be refreshed if there is data gateway installed.

Creating interactive dashboards.

Power BI review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great product, well thought-out, still room to grow"

What do you like best?

Great ability to harness large amounts of data and create drill-able dashboards and reports

What do you dislike?

Still limited in charting options and customization. Legend values, x-axis manipulation in order, triple-axis charts, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its more database-like than Tableau, and it is easier to update/manage your data model. The ability to edit queries and re-release them to your end-users is very strong. Adding more charting options and customizations will be key for them to remain a main driver of the data analytics space.

Understanding connected data from a source system. Tons of benefits from leveraging this powerful tool so far in my new job, already making me a highly valued analyst at my firm.

Power BI review by Dani p.
Dani p.

"great"

What do you like best?

Easy to create your own reports with a powerfull program

What do you dislike?

need updates to do the best product for example more options for personalize the indicators

budget analysis, evolutions of the retail sales...

Power BI review by Internal Consultant in Oil & Energy
Internal Consultant in Oil & Energy

"Power BI Review"

What do you like best?

I like the ease at which databases can be linked. I also like the advanced filtering options. The map feature is also useful for the nature of my business, allowing solutions from nearby location to be applied with ease and without prior knowledge of the area.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the text display is small and the lines do not wrap. I believe text wrapping is coming in the near future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend Power BI to others. The features are improving monthly.

Solving problems such as asset tracking, efficiency comparison, and problem identification.

Power BI review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Live Reports and Dashboard easily done with MS Power BI"

What do you like best?

Power BI has an easy and intuitive design, and ability to publish the reports so as to share them live with a large audience for report dashboard showcasing and insight sharing. In this age of data analytics backing up every decision and strategy in business, this software is just must to have!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I felt there was less flexibility in creating the calculated measures in the tool. Also, I feel more educational videos are needed to train the new users into this software and be able to adopt it faster. Thanks.

real-time reporting

analytics on top of huge amounts of data

live dashboard, interactive reporting to large teams

it can be integrated with CRM systems and easily works with Excel sheets as datasets, since every company is already using MS excel for managing , slicing, dicing the data in any team.

Power BI review by Raghunath Reddy v.
Raghunath Reddy v.

"Experience With power Bi"

What do you like best?

When compared with other visualization tools, I feel like power bi is more interactive and easy to use. I like the interface, easy to play with data and generate reports.

What do you dislike?

There no Cons as of now. I like it very much and love to use it more and more

Recommendations to others considering the product

Every thing is good

Analyzing the data and developing reports. Data refresh and gateways in it are the most benefits

Power BI review by Alexis C.
Alexis C.

"Beyond excel"

What do you like best?

If you like to generate statistical reports in excel and you thought it was the best, you should try this program. It is excellent to generate attractive, interactive dashbords with a great details level.

What do you dislike?

For the moment needs more compatibility for presentations. See those detailed dashboards from a presentation in PowertPoint would be excellent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like detailed reports and elegants dashboards, you should try this.

We are trying to move certain reports to this format.

Power BI review by Mark W.
Mark W.

"Simple and intuitive way to bring your data to life!"

What do you like best?

Power BI is really quit easy to use and connect to all kinds of different data sources. Building the actual "Power Views" is really fun and allows for creativity as well. I've used it to connect to ERP data surfaced from MS Dynamics AX, and mash that up against public online demographics data to really give profound insight into my analysis.

What do you dislike?

I wish Power BI was fully mobile. With the new Power BI Preview in the cloud, you can view all of your dashboards on Apple iPads and iPhones. However, there really needs to be more support for Android as well. The Power BI Preview is a fascinating taste of what is to come.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be open minded and patient while learning. Have fun exploring the new features that are constantly being updated - read the Power BI Blogs for updates! Also, watch YouTube instructional videos and participate in forums for guidance.

In addition to using for this for clients, we also leverage it internally as a consulting firm. We can see insights by clicking on the picture of a specific employee and see their billable by hours by any time frame, with drill in capabilities are awesome visualizations. We can see how billable hours as a company vary by day of the week, month, etc. We can also dive into year over year analysis of our clients, such as how much revenue we are deriving from there and from what areas. All of this can be seen on one simple visualization utilizing cross filtering and drill downs.

Power BI review by Travis L.
Travis L.

"Power Pivot is Strong Analytical Tool, Power View and Power Query Supplement!"

What do you like best?

Power Pivot is a powerful analytical tool that extends Excel capabilities much beyond native Excel's, yet within a familiar environment. It is a great data modeling tool where users can create relationships between data sets, expand possibilities of data sources as compared to native Excel, and create much stronger Pivot Tables and dynamic analyses.

Power View adds on to all of this as a great visualization tool (an example being a three axes bubble chart that can be viewed over time through a play axis, and where at any point in time the view can be altered to drill down into lower levels). Power Query adds on to all of this with additional data import abilities, and - a favorite of mine - the ability to "unpivot" an output such that the data can be used in your own pivot table analysis.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Microsoft Power BI was more easily accessible. As it is now, it requires either Excel 2010 (free download), or an enterprise version of Excel 2013 (for either Professional Plus or 365)- unless you are willing to purchase a standalone version of Excel 2013. Even if there is added cost, Power BI should be made available to non-commercial users within a standard downloadable Office suite or within Office 365. To note: the difficulty here is access to the tool, and not the price. The price is very reasonable, and in many cases - for commercial users - access might be available for you today, without you even knowing it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read some books; look in to http://www.powerpivotpro.com/ if considering a deep dive into Power Pivot. The formula language used is similar to Excel, yet there is still a learning curve as the tool is very deep.

Quicker and stronger analysis! Plain and simple.

Power BI review by Arie K.
Arie K.

"Power BI"

What do you like best?

The data visualization portion and how seamless it connects to databases

What do you dislike?

Could be faster when connecting to large databases..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Patience. So far seems easier to navigate than others

Creating customized reports for C-level

Power BI review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Great Data Tool!"

What do you like best?

Canned reports, interactive dashboards, very easy to use, great user experience. New to the product, but so far I love it and the sharing feature as well! Looking forward to seeing all of the tools capabilities.

What do you dislike?

I am still learning and getting up to speed on the software, so far nothing to report here. Its been easy to learn and get up to speed quickly so far. I love the sharing feature as well!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am still fairly new to this product, so no recommendations as of yet. I will have report back once I have some additional inputs.

Reporting and data review via dashboards, reports..etc. Report sharing as well.

Power BI review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Beautiful Visualizations, Steep Learning Curve"

What do you like best?

Visualizations. They're absolutely fantastic. Importing data is incredibly easy and it's much more powerful than excel or many SQL based visualization tools.

What do you dislike?

Extremely difficult to get a handle on if you're coming from Excel. Don't let the basic iUI fool you, this is powerful, but difficult to use. You'll need to spend a lot of time learning how it differs from basic Vlookups etc. in excel before you can really get to the power.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't let the simple interface fool you, this is incredibly powerful and requires significant time to get a benefit from. But it's worth it.

Visualizing marketing analytics data for reporting.

Power BI review by William W.
William W.

"This is a fantastic product very good to use and the results speak for themselves"

What do you like best?

I like the fluid look about the product and the amount of updates that come out for it. The ease of use and connecting to various data sources

What do you dislike?

I dislike the scheduling around datasource updates and pulling the latest information in

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it, once you get the hang of it, it is very intuituitive and the quality of reports look 10/10

We are moving away from on prem reporting and moving to online, this enables users to see reports from anywhere anytime

Power BI review by User in Computer Software

"Easy to create beautiful visualizations"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and intuitive, allows you to create visualizations in minutes. It is really versatile in terms of options for charts and methods to aggregate data.

What do you dislike?

It's a method for visualization, rather than rigorous analysis. You need to use another data tool, like excel, in addition to PowerBI to truly explore a dataset.

Being able to combine data from different sources in one place and create nice looking dashboards to share internally and externally.

Power BI review by Administrator in Semiconductors
Administrator in Semiconductors

"Good graphs, but still a young program"

What do you like best?

It is really easy to create graphs, gauges, charts, and other visuals to display data from our SQL servers.

What do you dislike?

It is still a new program. The visuals have limited ways to customize them, and the interface is hard to interact with. It also only allows data to be pulled from our SQL server 8 times a day.

Somewhat real time data tracking of part flow through our jobs.

Power BI review by Geoffrey L.
Geoffrey L.

"OK, but not great"

What do you like best?

It's free, which is very nice given some of the highly priced competitors. It also has a wide range of datasources as well as a cloud and local interface. The dynamic cloud dashboards are very useful for data digging and drill down.

What do you dislike?

It's very basic, customization is limited at best. Fine for basic dashboards but not particularly good if you need to get more complex. Still feels like a basic and free system, not to Microsoft caliber.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, it's free and well worth the time.

Data analysis and presentation to executive staff. It has also shown that we need to clean up our data as it's dirty.

Power BI review by Pete B.
Pete B.

"Administrator"

What do you like best?

Cost. Compared to other BI solutions on the market, Power BI is absolutely the cheapest solution out there!

What do you dislike?

The robustability of the solution. Compared to other solutions, Power BI cannot do everything you may want it to. It is a great tool for companies wanting to explore the world of analytics and BI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool to use. Easy to sign up and begin building your own analytics.

Better revenue tracking and ROI

Power BI review by Consultant in Environmental Services
Consultant in Environmental Services

"Excellent beginner tool used for quick, interactive, and visually engaging presentations"

What do you like best?

In the world of engineering, Microsoft Project and Powerpoint dominate the landscape of presentations. These can become tiresome and time-consuming, particularly in regards to budgetary topics. Microsoft Power BI is an excellent alternative / supplement to the standard engineering/project suites for presentations, because it provides an aesthetically pleasing format, Sometimes, it takes more than raw content to engage your audience.

What do you dislike?

There is a somewhat steep learning curve to fully take advantage of all the features, and the data analysis is geared more towards financial data rather than engineering data. Engineering data usually requires a large dataset capacity (which often times will exceed the limitations of Microsoft Power BI.

The presentations that are possible with Microsoft BI is simply beautiful and time efficient. When I don't have much time to develop my own powerpoint slides, Microsoft Power BI really gives a false impression that I spent much more time on the presentation than actual.

Power BI review by Sai N.
Sai N.

"Power bi is good and cheap to use. It's microsoft stack with 50+ connectors. i used with azure"

What do you like best?

Visuals and connections and DAX language which is simple

What do you dislike?

Hangs and in terms of performance, it's not as great as tableau.

But terms of cost it's way better

it takes little time but i am sure it'll be best

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, i would if you are not working on huge data

I worked in a IOT area, we gathered requirements from iot device and analysed

Power BI review by Troy W.
Troy W.

"Power BI for Sales Analytics "

What do you like best?

Being able to drill down into large data sets.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't run on my MacBook without Parallels or Boot Camp.

Looking into Sales trends

Power BI review by sebastian p.
sebastian p.

"Nice tools for analisys"

What do you like best?

The graphics and the easily use make power bi a nice tool to make desicions. You can adapt your graphics to mobile design and desktop design. Also you can embed your canvas in your web.

What do you dislike?

The format of your tables can make a difference between one and another.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Format correctly your model

analysis for my company

Power BI review by Heena P.
Heena P.