Microsoft Power BI

Power BI Desktop is part of the Power BI product suite. Use Power BI Desktop to create and distribute BI content. To monitor key data and share dashboards and reports, use the Power BI web service. To view and interact with your data on any mobile device, get the Power BI Mobile app on the AppStore, Google Play or the Microsoft Store. To embed stunning, fully interactive reports and visuals into your applications use Power BI Embedded

Work for Microsoft Power BI?

Learning about Power BI?

Microsoft Power BI Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 181 Power BI reviews
Power BI review by <span>Joel F.</span>
Joel F.

"Very powerful tool, but hard to work out how to use"

What do you like best?

Connects easily to a lot of different systems that we use, there are a lot of pre built reports and dashboards for popular data sources such as Google Analytics, Mailchimp etc. We use Dynamics CRM and Power BI has some great reports for this system. The pro version gives access to on premise data sources, which is a good benefit if you use both cloud and on premise systems. this does have to be installed on a PC which is always turned on so this needs considering when you install the Power BI desktop program for connecting to on premise data sources.

What do you dislike?

It's not very easy to learn how to use, particularly linking different data sources. it seems to require you to have an understanding of SQL to be able to get custom reports to work properly. Occasionally i have had problems in saving changes to reports, when a report has been created with the desktop program and i am then trying to edit in the online version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get some assistance from someone who has an understanding of SQL or Power BI to help you set up the reports

Reporting from various different systems on one dashboard, particularly where the system itself doesn't have customisable reports or dashboards. Mobile access is a great feature utilising the Power BI app. Also reports can be embedded in a web page using an iframe to publish reports to people who don't have access to the system.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Microsoft Power BI
Power BI review by <span>Paul V.</span>
Paul V.

"Power BI helps us make better, data-driven decisions"

What do you like best?

With Power BI, I can combine data from multiple sources, build a data model, create visualizations, and share the results with others in my company. I learned Excel Power Pivot a few years ago, and everything I learned there about Power Query and DAX translated directly to Power BI. Now I rarely use Excel Power Pivot because it's so much easier to share the results through the cloud with Power BI.

What do you dislike?

Prior to May 2017, I was able to share reports with others using the free version of Power BI. Microsoft changed the pricing, and now everyone who wants to view reports needs a Power BI Pro license ($10/month/user). I can understand charging those of us who build models and share reports, but I don't think the company should have to buy a license for everyone who wants to view a shared report. In addition to the expense, it is also a hassle for people to request a license from our IT group.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn Power Query and DAX. There are plenty of tutorial videos available.

We analyze usage patterns in our cloud software. The results help us understand user behavior and prioritize new features for our product. Power BI has been extremely helpful here. We have a much better understanding of our data that allows us to make better decisions.

What Business Intelligence Platforms solution do you use?

Power BI review by <span>Eric M.</span>
Eric M.

"Great Starting Point for BI"

What do you like best?

Getting started is easy, you can download the Power BI Desktop and get in it. There are a lot of tutorials build into the application you can use to see how to do different things. There are a decent amount of dashboard and visual add-ons you can get, most for free. The way you can model your data is easy and visual.

What do you dislike?

You can't fully customize the dashboard, especially the ones you get form the extension site. What I mean if you can't put your company logo into a visual element on a dashboard. You can color code the dashboard so match your company's colors but not anything with branding, at least not right now you can't. There are monthly feature updates and weekly patches. You can't patch the application from an update tool you have to redownload the application and install it each time there is an update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a good starting point, you can download Power BI Desktop for free and get started with their tutorials. The cost is comparable to Tableau.

We are able to visually show potential customers, as well as employees ways they can see their data and be able to drill down into what they are seeing. This is a pretty cool experience and different way to present people with data that is not the typical static SSRS presentation.

Power BI review by <span>Bernardo C.</span>
Bernardo C.

"Awesome for data visualization"

What do you like best?

PowerBI feels like and enchanced version of Excel.

It is awesome for data visualization, since it allows us several options in terms of presenting Data.

More than that, it also has some functions, just like excel, which makes it a very complete software.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it could be more flexible.

For example, we are not allowed to edit data directly on the sheets, which makes it hard to clean a database. Due to that, it forces you to have something else, like Excel, to help you clean up a database before you start working on it on Power BI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are having trouble working on presentations and ways to show your data, you've gotta start using Power BI.

Essentially Data Visualization. Since SPSS, my main tool for data analysis, is not great in that specific field, I complement it with Power BI.

Power BI review by <span>Toni G.</span>
Toni G.

"Power BI is a powerful tool, needs some training"

What do you like best?

I really like the powerful visuals in Power BI. I like that you can drill down to your data, and publish your reports via Power BI online. I like the slicer tool, as I can make one report, and simply slice it down to each person or Account that I want data on, instead of making 50 separate reports. It saves me time, and my supervisor loves how the reports look when I'm finished. Talk about making me look great!

What do you dislike?

Because my supervisor and my company are still very into "hard copies" the lack of ability to print from PowerBI desktop is frustrating. I would like to be able to format my prints just like I would out of excel. Printing from online works ok, as does screen shots but a powerful print interface would make this a 10/10 software.

We've used Power BI to put our information from Dynamics CRM into a dashboard tool that is visual, and useful for management teams.

Power BI review by <span>Cortni M.</span>
Cortni M.

"Great for Analytics"

What do you like best?

This application is wonderful to utilize for presenting numbers in a way that is easy to interpret. You can also link the information to external spreadsheets and applications that hold the information you need. This application is a fancy spreadsheet that really boosts presentations to clients.

What do you dislike?

To be honest, there is not a whole lot wrong with this application. The only thing I would really say is that it takes a bit of time to really just play around with the application and make mistakes in order to really understand its functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just play around with the application with some fake data until you can really get the hang of all the different features that Power Bi has to offer.

I utilize Power Bi to display customer purchasing details and purchase history trends in a way in which is easy to interpret

Learning about Microsoft Power BI?

* We monitor all Microsoft Power BI reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.