Do you work for MS SQL?
MS SQL review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"SQL has no equal."

What do you like best?

The constant improvements and addition of new features really surprises me each time they release a new version. SQLs included tools are a perfect compliment to make use of the features that are released. I also very much appreciate the community that is surrounding the SQL software. I love that it's easy to provide feedback and see responses from actual Microsoft employees.

The SQL management tools are very easy to use and not only provide access to performing actions you want, but also open up features that I didn't know about in the past.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the bloat and large footprint of the SQL tools can be a little overwhelming. SQL tends to use a lot of RAM as well. But overall the dislikes are greatly overshadowed by the likes.

We are always trying to provide a solid back-end to web and enterprise services and applications. SQL has helped us realize the benefits it and associated tools provide are that of having a rock-solid, heavily supported and upgraded database that will not leave you hanging.

Microsoft SQL Reviews

1-50 of 1517 total MS SQL reviews

Microsoft SQL Reviews

1-50 of 1517 total MS SQL reviews
MS SQL review by Rick K.
Owner
Most Recent Microsoft SQL Video Review

"Solid Enterprise Database"

MS SQL review by Jericsson jesus C.
Specialist Infraestructure

"Todo lo que necesitas para administrar tus datos."

What do you like best?

Las sentencias SQL son sencillas para filtrar datos de su organizacion. Permite establecer tareas que corran de forma automatica. Me parece intersante el SQL profiler para generar graficas y monitorear la informacion. Considero una buena herramienta para administrar sus datos y toda la informacion requerida por la organizacion.

What do you dislike?

Se requiere varias configuraciones para intercambiar datos entre SQL y Oracle.

Poca integracion con herramientas diferentes a microsoft.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Optimizar el manejador para mayor fluidez de los datos.

Integracion de datos, reportes de infraestructura, compartir datos de gran cantidad de transacciones, simplificar procesos que involucran a la organizacion. En la organizacion se aplico con otros tipos de base de datos oracle se aplicaron configuraciones con gateway y dblink para intercambiar datos entre base de datos distintas. La generacion de reportes actuariales, cruzar data almacenada. Procesos administrados y revision de toda la data almacenada por nuestros clientes. Es una excelente solucion para su organizacion.

MS SQL review by Al S.
Data Warehouse Programmer

"Data Warehouse Programmer"

What do you like best?

Team Microsoft;

I cannot thank you enough for the flawless technical support that you’ve given me over the last couple of weeks.The titles that you created (Matthew) for the Power BI presentation were a big hit; and the Power BI dashboard extravaganza unfolded on cue with perfect precision. My colleagues were as impressed with me as I am with you. You also did a marvelous job researching the Vice President and CFO questions (Mark) and I know that I didn’t always give you much to go on and recommending exactly software for their preferences. Without your help, I don’t think I could have met the short but urgent deadline. Regarding all for the SQL Server on Microsoft Azure Public Cloud Platform Provider.

I feel much better knowing that I have such a valuable and capable resource a phone call away.

Respectfully yours;

Thanks,

What do you dislike?

Total cost benefit analysis including hidden costs on an annual basis plus options for contractual agreement, e.g. annual agreement / multi-year agreement, technical support included etc. Regarding all for the SQL Server on Microsoft Azure Public Cloud Platform Provider.

Globe access for five Data Regional Setup for Azure Machine Learning Studio

Dallas, Sweden, India, China and Brazil setup of Microsoft Azure SQL Server databases.

Using software Power BI for Analytics Platform for digital dashboards and SQL Server Reporting Services and SharePoint website access.

MS SQL review by Marko P.
Helpdesk Agent level 2 Managed Services Operations Retail & Hospitality Helpdesk
(10,001+ employees)

"Powerful database with a really good and intuitive editor. "

What do you like best?

Creation, administration and management of the database is really easy, even for beginners. It is fast and stable and it works good with other Microsoft products. I feel right at home when I'm using SQL Server Management Studio. It has a practical UI and of course a really helpful intellisense feature. The problems which my team and I solve require fast response and fast solutions and Microsoft SQL is of great help with that.

What do you dislike?

The price of the enterprise package might be too high for smaller companies, but I think that Microsoft's target with this product are large organizations/corporations (like mine).

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a product aimed at big companies/corporations with a lot of users and big databases. If you are a small company/team, there are some other more practical solutions. It is rather easy to use and highly practical. I need to stress again how fast Microsoft SQL is - that might a be big factor for some teams like mine.

My team handles a major part in administration and management of the database for one of the big US supermarket chains. Without getting into too many details, we run a lot of scripts and queries through thousands of items and transactions in order to find the cause of problems and bugs which happen during customer interactions with the Self checkouts. The speed and ease of use which Microsoft SQL is offering help us a lot and allows us to quickly pinpoint the issues.

MS SQL review by Sachin K.
Group Lead

"SQL server - A robust database tool"

What do you like best?

To manage all of our data of various customer products, we use sql server. This is a microsoft product, so we are much satisfied with product service.

It is very reliable and easy to use tool.

We can store, process and execute very large amount of data.

Very easy to learn its programming language.

Very great features such as SQL server agent, profiler, reporting etc..

One can use for all his needs of database.

What do you dislike?

Every good tool has its own limitations.

First of all its cost. It is very high.

We need good amount of RAM to properly use this. Sometimes query stucks in between. But our organization provides a great RAM, so we don't have any issue with its speed.

I am using this tool from past 8 years. I use to manage data feom various products of my company. It is very easy to learn and manage.

I highly recommend this rdbms tool to everyone.

MS SQL review by Ron Beau P.
Architect/Developer

"Feature rich, highly tunable"

What do you like best?

The query analyzer is a great tuning tool. The ability to embed really anything in a stored proc or an agent job is nice for integrating other systems or using it to manage workflows. Great tools for diagnosing production issues like deadlocks

What do you dislike?

The Intellisense doesn't keep up with your changes in the editor. There should be some kind of really good visual tool for building queries. Permissions management is a real chore. It would be nice to have some way to express business logic as a set of rules rather than just write it as t-sql in sored procs, something more analyst-friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the size you need to scale to, Microsoft SQL gets very expensive at scale.

We use it as the hub to move data across enterprise systems )financials, CRM, ERP, etc.). The SSO database is used to encrypt environment-specific meta data (passwords, logons, addresses, etc.).

MS SQL review by John H.
IT Services Contractor
(Myself Only)

"Microsoft SQL On Everything"

What do you like best?

Over the years, Microsoft finally figured out that MS SQL should run in more places - not just in Windows Server, but regular Windows and now Linux. So now you can just run whatever your platform is, and put MS SQL on it. It even has support for Macs if you can get through that process too.

The management platform is probably one of the most user friendly out there. Click, set this up, add a table, call it a day.

What do you dislike?

Some things are still esoteric, and you'll have to start looking up basic things. Like "Why can't I log into the machine and need a Windows account" or "How do I do auto-increment"? It's not difficult to figure out, but it's things that should have a "Hi, if you're using this for the first time, these are some things to look for."

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you have the instructions laid out. While it's easier than ever to install Microsoft SQL, that doesn't mean if you're running Linux or Mac that everything will just go right. Make sure you have the right versions, patches, and the like before you proceed.

I tend to use it because my clients do. In this case, a client had a custom CRM, and they ran it on SQL. Since there's enough plugins from PHP and C# into MS SQL, it wasn't that hard to make a connection so I could get the data I needed and plug it into the program.

MS SQL review by Cesar A.
Banco

"Practical and easy database manager"

What do you like best?

With my experience in the use of Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system (RDBMS) produced by Microsoft dodne Its main query language is Transact-SQL, It can also include a powerful graphical administration environment, which allows the use of DDL and DML commands graphically. It contains stability and security scalability, it also allows to work in client-server mode, where information and data are hosted on the server and terminals or clients of the network only access information. It also allows to work in client-server mode, where the information and data are hosted on the server and the terminals or clients of the network only access the information.

What do you dislike?

What I do not like is that its main disadvantages would be that it contains a large amount of RAM for the installation and use of the software. Also it only has support with Windows operating system but by experience in chat or forums of microsoft are incorporating linux for this manager in his last updates of the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my case, I must implement this database manager for having applications that use it, I must say that it is a handler that facilitates transactions support, fulfills its functions and the truth is very stable and at the time of backups it is also robust.

We have third-party applications that should use only this SQL Server database manager, it would be the main benefit since without that manager the applications that we have in the organization do not run.

MS SQL review by Geraldine A.
Churn Strategy Professional
Telecommunications
(10,001+ employees)

"Great application and the best DB solution"

What do you like best?

His main tool SQL Server Management Studio it’s a great solution for DBA or Technology group, his GUI minimize tasks like backup, restore, change passwords or change security settings. For me as part of a security department it's important to audit a change user privileges with a single click. Another benefit allows us integration with other solutions (like antivirus, CRM, etc) with local solutions and cloud solutions.

For less known users try free version, then you can decided what to buy. Be part of Microsoft solutions it’s a plus, allowing us to do task with server configuration and upgrade without issues.

What do you dislike?

His price could be a pain for IT departments, if you compared against other product or free editions. Sometimes customer support take too much time to solve an issue, it’s annoying that issue only can be solved by patching. You need an experienced Microsoft Partner to deploy large environments, those partners increase licensing and services price allot. As users we need better services with lower prices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For me the most important it’s do test on a free environment, evaluate if all your products are compatible with this solution and then contact an experienced partner.

More than a problem it's a solution for daily task and a secure environment to deploy all our services (antivirus, security, crm, etc).

MS SQL review by Timothy D.
Manager

"MS SQL"

What do you like best?

Microsoft SQL has been a mainstay in data base query management for many years. It comes as no surprise that most companies with multiple systems will use Microsoft SQL to ease in searching, joining, table management and expect fast response times.

What do you dislike?

Microsoft SQL Enterprise pricing has grown steadily over the years along with the processing power needed to run all of the different applications it supports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not have a qualified Microsoft SQL Expert on your team, its well worth the additional expense to utilize a 3rd party or even Microsoft Professional services to assist in the setup of the database plus all of the connectors, monitors, tasks, etc.

We use SQL in finance, HR and Production. We would not be able to function as a company without Microsoft SQL as all of the connectors, login credentials and user interfaces would easily be supported by an alternative means.

MS SQL review by Mike D.

"Microsoft SQL"

What do you like best?

The full capabilities of all MSQL and being able to set up in a short time. We use this across multiple servers and services. It is a good and stable product and can easily be backed up and restored when needed. I know there are other database solution available and cheaper but for us it is seamless with all of our front end solutions.

What do you dislike?

Like most people the cost of having a full version up and running, because of the need and support for this product we have to pay for our use of the product. This is really the only think at this time that I do not like about this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just be prepared for the sticker shock of using it for large database. It definitely is the cost of doing business. It is a good and stable product and can easily be backed up and restored when needed.

We have 40 SQL servers up and running. We have been using a single instance of SQL to run multiple Smaller databases without impact. We have been able to backup and move databases in MSQL flawlessly with out having to have more support than needed.

MS SQL review by Ravi K.
Sr Consultant

"SQL 2016 - Support for HealthCare Apps"

What do you like best?

With thousands of claims we receive every day, SQL handles the claims load, validation and applying business rules like a pro.

Also, with the help of SSRS we deliver a lot of reports to our clients on a daily basis.

What do you dislike?

Not much of dislikes but one thing that my client is worried about is Enterprise edition licensing cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your application wants to use the latest parallelism concept then the Microsoft SQL Server max degree of parallelism configuration option controls the number of processors that are used for the execution of a

query in a parallel plan. We have implemented this on a 10 core machine which boosted to 20 core.

With InMemory online transaction processing and AlwaysOn Availability my client is very happy with the performance issues.

Also, the PowerBI tool gives a great option of showing the real time reporting.

WIth SQL fail over server we are pretty sure that the database is never down.

SQL helps querying the data for millions of records

SQL IDE makes every developer job easy

MS SQL review by arsh d.
Software Integrator

"Best database software in enterprise environment for window platforms clients"

What do you like best?

easy to use.

contained inbuilt tools like sql profiler for performance monitoring and debugging.

security updates are easy to apply.

we can check query execution plan, helps in improving production system performance.

easily able to import and export data to excel word or any text document.

we can easily take network backups of database.

Differential backups are very easy and helpful.

we can store very large archive dta, data even older than 10 years old or more.

As interface with each sql server version 2008 , 2012 , 2014 all new ones is similar.User can easily work with new version without difficulty.

Deadlocks queries are best traceable using this software

What do you dislike?

required licensing from Microsoft.

Required good hardware for long-running queries otherwise results into sql server is busy and software lag.

take a lot of CPU resources.

Recommendations to others considering the product

for secure and reliable database environment this is one of the best software currently present in industry.

All our production system using sql server for database management.

we are using this for daily deployment and upgrades of releases.

MS SQL review by Nihir S.
Software Developer
Hospital & Health Care

"SQL Server : Excellent Data Storage And Analyzing Tool"

What do you like best?

The ease of integration with any application. The ease of data access and usability. The ease of adding of removing users. Securing different access levels for each user. Ease of training for new employees.

What do you dislike?

Nothing I can think of right now. Overall really good experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Overall an excellent tool for data gathering and visualization. Excellent support and large user community.

Microsoft SQL Server is an excellent tool for any sort of applications. I have used it extensively for multiple web applications where relationships between the tables is needed. Overall capability of the server is very extensive and deep. The Analysis services feature is so great, it allows us to analyze more than Terabytes of data within seconds. The in-built user management system is great too, very few lines of personal code needs to be written to use that. In early days we used to leverage DTS processes too, which helped us analyze large chunks of data. The ease of use and access is peerless. Most the time we have to transfer data between multiple servers and the concept of Linked servers have helped us to achieve that.

MS SQL review by Scott H.
Litigation Support Engineer
Law Practice

"Microsoft SQL Database"

What do you like best?

The ability to have the product provide the t-sql for actions when you may want to run a process multiple times and would just rather automate it with a maintenance plan. The ability to integrate with other products is a great plus and being able to provide users with reports that they can understand.

What do you dislike?

Performance monitoring is sometimes vague, and slow. Some details can be confusing when first working with the product. It would also be nice if the SQL Management studio install did not feel like it was buried or hidden away and had a simpler installer for when not working on the actual SQL box.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MS SQL is a great tool and there are a lot of resources on the web that can be used when first getting into it. Since the community behind the application is so larger 9 times out of 10 users of MS SQL can find answer rather quickly or work together to find a solution.

SQL is used in the background of applications that I use at work. Just having the ability to use the enterprise version helps with speed and being able to provide a faster response to certain queries.

MS SQL review by Juan C.
It Professional

"The best and safest complete database engine"

What do you like best?

sql server is my database par excellence, what I like the most is its ide to do everything in design view, the creation of customized views, stored procedures I think it is its strength today we can also have sqlserver is linux distributions, and The confidence that a tool created by Microsoft offers us.

What do you dislike?

rather high price, the ide can consume enough resources.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if your environment is window and you want a full secure fast native database sqlserver is the product you are looking for.

The first thing we look for in the company is the security for anyone is a secret stability and how much sqlserver has grown as much as remotely as well as locally and in the cloud, it is a scalable professional data base and the most complete in the market. We need to feel that we were going the right way and sqlserver us god that security.

MS SQL review by Mauricio A.
Business Manager

"One of the best solutions for database management system. "

What do you like best?

-His compatibility with enterprise software that needs DB integration, this environment allows us to integrate (locally or cloud) all our solutions on the main server with cluster functionality.

-As a Microsoft product, it’s easier to upgrade on Windows Server versions, even security patch is compatible with OS environment.

-SQL Server Management Studio it’s a great solution to DBA or IT departments, his GUI allow less known users to do tasks like backup, restore, change passwords or change security settings.

-If you want to run some test, there is a free version with some limitations like database size (10GB for SQL Server 2016, SQL Server 2014 & SQL Server 2012).

-As a massive product, it’s easy to implement security solutions compatible with any version of SQL and any version of Windows Server.

What do you dislike?

-As other Microsoft products, SQL Server price it’s huge compared against other similar products. They have two options for licensing (Core or CAL).

-In my company the customer support it’s not the best of all the Microsoft products, sometimes they solve the problem only with a patch and do not help with a temporary solution.

-If you have more than 10 instances on the same server running at the same with a high rate of transactions per second it’s important to work with a Microsoft Partner. There is a high RAM consumption that needs to be customized and adapted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s important to configure all the details available, if you need contact a DBA or train you IT personal with Microsoft certifications.

As IT department we use SQL as the main database software for all our products (CRM, Financials, HR, security, etc).

MS SQL review by Charlon B.
Applications and Database Administrator (Manager Grade 1)
Financial Services

"Endless Opportunities and High Availability"

What do you like best?

The best features of SQL Server is the amount of flexibility one can implement. With such high flexibility, once can assure business that SQL Databases will "Always" remain available without any/very minimal downtime. With the implementation of Always On High Availability groups, log shipping and replication, one can rest assured that data loss will be very minimal even in case of heavy disasters. Being a Microsoft Development House, SQL Server also suits our needs very well providing easy and maintainable data management.

What do you dislike?

Administering SQL Server can be quite difficult at first, especially If you would like to build a top notch platform and not just deploy a single server. Fortunately, there is a lot of documentation available on the web for guidance and advise.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure that at least one dedicated person in your team has a good knowledge of SQL Server administration as it can be quite difficult to maintain a healthy and secure server for an inexperienced user.

Basically it provides a data management platform where all our applications (both built in house or purchased from a third part supplier) store and mange their data. We can ensure that such data is kept available to the business at all times.

MS SQL review by Shiva P.
(10,001+ employees)

"SQL Server Database review"

What do you like best?

I really like the improved reliability, better performance , reduced network traffic and increased scalability. The database can be easily stream lined and installation is hassle free.The security features are better and can efficiently manager my log and data files.Aslo , it integration with Visual studio is another huge advantage to acess Databse while coding in C#.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the increased deployment cost and more complex support environment, with no IT support staff(in house) than is simpler access. It also cost more to implement than does access and deployment of a sql server system will take longer and cost more than an equivalent Acess system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Open source product would be better

I typically used to maintain the database for identity and access management soltutions for my corporation. To scheduled automated monthly jobs, reporting , querying and production support.

MS SQL review by Umakant S.
Senior Software Engineer
(10,001+ employees)

"Microsoft Sql Server Review"

What do you like best?

Sql Server supports multiple inputs type like XML and JSON and process them per requirements. It has powerful tools like SQL query optimiser and resource monitor. Sql server has set of pre-defined user functions which helps in writing complex queries. Supports reporting services(SSRS) and integration services(SSIS) for data migration packages. It also supports the Hadoop integration now to exchange data between sql server and Hadoop.

What do you dislike?

Consumes very huge amount of resources on production server. When handling very large data update, it becomes unresponsive and you have to kill it by rebooting the server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nice RDBMS with most efficient tools to handle your day to day requirements easy. Great product to consider.

Database management and sql coding. This is a great RDBMS system which is always much above the expectation.

MS SQL review by Al W.
IT Consultant/System Administrator/Controls Systems Engineer
Mining & Metals

"Microsoft SQL Server Serving the Masses"

What do you like best?

MS SQL Server is a robust, well-established relational database manager. Support for it exists in so many forms. Microsoft of course provides the primary source as the producer and ultimate authority on the product. However, there is an abundance of forums, blogs and users groups with a wealth of information, whether you need to troubleshoot an error, solve a problem or what tips and shortcuts for everyday tasks.

What do you dislike?

It's a Catch-22. For all of the prestige of being so feature rich and robust, it is a complex product with many nuances that differ from the version in the year 2000 to today. Managing the change and keeping up require real effort and occasionally it's best just to pay an expert.

Let's talk about licensing. If major re-sellers have people whose title and sole purpose is Microsoft Licensing Specialist, then things have gotten out of hand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't have the expertise in house, look carefully bringing in a consultant to set it up right the first time. It will work with default settings but a few hours with an expert can save a lot of time

Our primary line of business programs run on Microsoft SQL Server. It is a foundational component of our IT infrastructure and is not implemented to solve problems so much as it carries the load. You could say it solves the problem of needing a fully stable platform upon which to run the business.

MS SQL review by Diego V.
Sr. Software Developer & Team Lead
(10,001+ employees)

"A robust transactional database, tried and true"

What do you like best?

If you are working from scratch, it's relatively easy to set up a new database server and connectivity between clients. Everything is pretty much straightforward, given that you have some database knowledge. The DBMS allows you to easily create several things entirely in design (tables, views, etc) - which is a big plus when you don't know the entire syntax.

What do you dislike?

Some of the setups of older versions (2008 - 2012) are rather clunky and not very well made - I have had several instances of my installer being corrupt and having to redownload. The database administrator is, at some times, slow to load.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider all available replìcation scenarios, as newer versions contain even better features (SQL Always On, comes to mind) where log shipping or others may not be necessary.

All the transactional data for our customer is handled in Microsoft SQL. The customer requires a high availability and quick response system; where SQL helps in.

MS SQL review by Mayank N.
Software Dev Engineer -II

"Excellent RDBMS"

What do you like best?

Integration of other monitoring software like fog light is very easy without time consumption. Great capability to handle all complex queries requirements. Suite of advance sql functions. Provide all excellent functionalities like Reporting Services, Integration Services, Job Scheduler, Resource manager, Query analyser and Profiler etc. Each of these modules are build perfectly and handles the tasks effectively. Configurable at each level. User permission is at every objects and other higher levels. Changes can be done for specific privileges at user level. Window service based Control to the server for starting and stopping the service.

What do you dislike?

Scalability is great but not the best like other new Database there in the market. CPU memory consumption is always more than normal on production specifically by the sql server. Scope of improvement in profiler for most frequently used options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sql server has always fulfilled the new requirements and has great features to utilize. This will always exceed your expectation for sure.

We are using it as backed of application. This is perfect for all kind of client requirements and always meets the expectation.

MS SQL review by Sara  A.
Staff Accountant
Financial Services

"From a Beginner's Perspective: Great Software to use when Dealing with databases"

What do you like best?

I am just beginning to learn, but there are so many things I like. Mainly, the ability to extract the precise data I need has been the best part so far.

What do you dislike?

For a beginner it can get confusing, it takes a while to really get a good handle on it and be able to really use it to its maximum potential.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You definitely need to have knowledge of how to use SQL in order to get the benefits of this program. The more you learn, the more effective your use of this program will be.

We are able to produce reports using stored procedures for our company. In the past this was only possible with extremely time consuming manual excel reports. I use it now on a daily basis to do different queries for things that come up. Now i can find that information in minutes versus, before when it would take days or weeks.

MS SQL review by Taylor C.

"The industry standard"

What do you like best?

Works as advertised. Easy to manage. Pretty solid GUI. We've been running a SQL DB for around 8 years with minimal maintenance and headache. We do the SQL Server updates when needed, but rarely have to touch it otherwise.

What do you dislike?

In the rare instance that there is an issue, they can be difficult to solve without getting Microsoft Support on the phone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would advise others to go with SQL over any of the alternatives, if nothing else, for the superior company running the development of the program and the very good support that Microsoft provides. I have always been able to get them to fix whatever issue, over the phone, and usually within an hour or so.

MS SQL stores all our databases for our CRM engine, which allows us to work more efficiently.

MS SQL review by Prashansa K.
Senior Consultant
Automotive

"SQL Server developer"

What do you like best?

Performance while retrieving the data.

Compatible with several on the shelf products.

Storing the data is easier.

Support for the Kerberos and other security products.

It is useful to manage and obtain data from the network of networks.

It allows us to forget about the files that make up the database.

Asynchronous filling of objects, with the possibility of filtering objects according to their metadata.

Access to the SQL Server Agent in the replication servers for administration.

A new interface for viewing XML results.

What do you dislike?

uses a lot of RAM memory for installations and software.

Difficult to setup permissions and roles.

Support for writing and modifying queries or scripts without the need to connect to a server.

Archieving data is not easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you care about the fast retrieval of the data then MS Sql Server is best product in the market.

Using for the backend database support.

Archieval of the data.

MS SQL review by Brandon M.
Associate Application Analyst
Hospital & Health Care
(10,001+ employees)

"Microsoft SQL - Excellent DB Platform"

What do you like best?

I think one of the best things about Microsoft SQL (currently using 2012) is the Developer Network and helpful resources that are available. Thanks to the developer network, I’ve been able to learn much more about querying and build more useful and advanced queries over time. Things such as Transact-SQL (T-SQL) come in handy a lot of the time due to the vast amount of new queries you can build after learning T-SQL.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that sometimes the developer network resources can be much more complex than I anticipated. Sometimes you just need a simple answer and not a lecture on every argument that can be used. I would also say that understanding certain failures or issues with SQL could by better documented by Microsoft instead of other community forums i.e. Stack Overflow. It would be nice if Microsoft had an error mapping for each SQL error and what the resolution for it might be. As far as I know, the easiest way to troubleshoot a query on runtime is to paste a portion of the error in to a search engine and then start going through the form pages. Usually within the first several web links, someone will have found a resolution that works.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Microsoft SQL is a great solution and the updates only continue to make it better. Be sure to stay on top of SP updates but make sure the next version (2008, 2012, 2016, etc..) will have everything that you need.

Financial Inaccuracies, ETL errors (SSIS), IIS Application issues.

MS SQL review by Cesar G.
Lider de seguridad de la informacion

"Database manager easy to use"

What do you like best?

Compatibility with most SQL Server administrative tasks, a single integrated environment for the administration of the SQL Server database engine and creation and a common programming dialog that allows you to perform actions in the administration dialog boxes in another moment.

If we work in a social network it allows us to add other SQL Server servers. For example, two people who work with SQL Server, one of them can connect to the server of their other partner and thus you can see the databases of the other partner with SQL Server.

SQL allows you to manage permissions to everything. It also allows someone to connect your SQLO to ours but nevertheless we can tell you that you can not see this database but another yes.

It is useful to manage and obtain data from the network of networks.

It allows us to forget about the files that make up the database.

Access to the SQL Server Agent in the replication servers for administration.

A new interface for viewing XML results.

A large set of templates and the ability to create custom templates.

What do you dislike?

It uses a lot of RAM memory for installations and software

Recommendations to others considering the product

improve RAM consumption of software utilization

Soport online and soport telephone

MS SQL review by Guillermo V.
Enterprise Products Chief

"SQL Server with SAP Business One"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to perform queries with Microsoft SQL Server because of the simplicity of a high level programming language. The trace functionality is really good and provides a really excellent audit tool on the fly. The tools for recurring backup are really easy to use. If you get stuck, there is a lot of information you can find online and in the Microsoft online help.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the performance when executing some long queries is not what you would expect. Although CPU power is important for this part, but in the company we have really state of the art servers in the NAP of the americas, so it looks like a software issue rather than a hardaware issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Microsoft SQL Server for anyone looking for a relational database management system with a really easy installation, setup and maintenance and a really easy programming language that let you perform complex queries in matter of minutes. It is compatible with Windows based servers, i would not recommend it with other operating systems.

We use SQL Server in the company mainly as the Database of the SAP Business One application across all of Latin America. We manage several instances for our different types of ambiences. We currently use three of them: Production, User Acceptance Testing and Development, and the software is capable of managing all of them without any problem, with multiple BD's in each of them.

MS SQL review by Derek J.
Network Engineer
Higher Education

"My Go-To Traditional SQL Solution"

What do you like best?

Microsoft SQL is supported by countless software solutions; most scripting and programming languages. Standard edition licensing for academic institutions is cheap. The free edition limitations are not too stringent, making it very useful for small projects. SQL Management Studio is my favorite query editor and database management tool, and works even with the free SQL editions.

What do you dislike?

Performance of editions prior to 2016 seems lackluster. Query responsiveness will eventually slow to a crawl until you restart the server process. This can be avoided with proper db design and maintenance, but shows that the product can sometimes require extensive knowledge and experience to fully appreciate. I feel it should be better at self-maintenance and optimization.

We use MSSQL on everything from our most business critical applications to small staging databases. It operates as or data warehouse, reporting solution, and all-around go-to affordable database server. It's a wonderful product that can be properly attuned to many needs.

MS SQL review by Harshiv P.
Big Data Developer

"Positive experience in Data Analysis using Microsoft SQL."

What do you like best?

The simplicity of the language makes it easier to understand and implement statements like joins or procedures in high-level programming language. Hence, it appeals more to beginners as well.

Using other add-ins can greatly extend the features of SQL and make the work easier for the users. This helps in just SQL SSMS as well as for SSRS or other branches of SQL. I would really prefer using Microsoft SQL for performance tuning using Indexing as well for increasing the speed and efficiency in obtaining results.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, if not handled properly with a predefined schema, relations and maintenance of data becomes an issue. This mainly happens only when it comes to new users or with people who aren't working as a part of a bigger man-force handling the system.

Certain add-ins give useful features as well, but if SQL were to add these themselves it would save the users the trouble of finding and installing them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some of the extra add-ins will help in improving the speed and efficiency whilst using the software. ApexSQL is a good example of such.

I've been using Microsoft SQL with SQL Server reporting services(SSRS) and also I've been performing data analysis with SQL. And I've found out that segregation of data for analysis is done really well using the SQL concepts. This is really required when working with SSRS to obtain only the required data for reporting. I would also recommend using Aspose Total for Reporting Services (SSRS) for more added functionality if at all required.

MS SQL review by Sandeep S.
Senior Software Engineer

"Microsoft SQL Server"

What do you like best?

Excellent relational database with extensive SQL query support.

Depending on the need there are different flavors of SQL to choose, like SQL Express, Developer, Standard, Enterprise etc. Express and Developer edition is specially quite useful if you want to try out the product and/or doing development.

SQL database can hold a large amount of data and SQL server can efficiently structure the query.

SQL server management studio is quite useful for debugging purpose. SQL profiler can be used for optimising the SQL queries.

Its highly secure database and DB admin can control who has access to the databases. There are different access levels also.

It has excellent integration with Microsoft technologies like .Net framework, LINQ queries, Visual Studio, Web application etc.

What do you dislike?

SQL server consume lots of memory and needs a high performing multi-core machine especially if the database size is big. Inefficient SQL queries can impact the performance of SQL. Unnecessary locks on SQL operations can also impact its performance.

If your DB size grow (>20GB) then its performance is not up to the mark.

MS SQL is not a good choice if you DB size is huge (like in tera bytes).

We use Microsoft SQL server as database for our product. Its used for storing all configuration data and activity data. Its also used for storing user sensitive data like passpords, pins, phone no. email address etc.

We also have some internal websites which use MS SQL server Express as its database.

MS SQL review by Scott S.
IT Manager
Construction

"Easy to administer, even for non-db specialists"

What do you like best?

Many IT professionals tend to shy away from database management as they feel it to be tedious and require special knowledge. MSSQL, while complex, gives a UI that makes the system much easier to use. What I truly like best is the idea of what SQL supports, being able to create applications that run off of a SQL database, that streamline business operations. Often times, many businesses have a very manual way of doing things, but a simple C# (or other language) application can increase efficiency, visibility, and profitability very quickly. It is applications like Microsoft SQL that make these applications possible.

What do you dislike?

The non-intuitiveness of security, or managing multiple users. For a company without a dedicated IT staff, scripting may be tedious. When I have came into an organization that had already or was currently adopting Microsoft SQL, the headache they experienced when managing the security of multiple (and new) databases was great. The previous statement rings true more so in an environment lacking active directory and containing a substantial amount of users. However, through building SQL statements, creating databases and copying security settings becomes a non-issues. All that to say, without someone who is familiar with databases

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Microsoft SQL Server (or SQL Express for those with less of a need).

There are many, many business problems that can be solved through database programs. We have implemented numerous C# programs that run from SQL.

MS SQL review by Alexander Marra M.
Arquiteto de software
(10,001+ employees)

"SQL is very usefull with All versions"

What do you like best?

The Express version is flexible enought to attend a number of small companies, and can be use as BI tool storage for this companies also. The easy way to connect the database to another tool, like Excel, PowerBI or any kind of BI tool like Qlik View, Tableau etc. The version of Microsoft SQL Express is very complete and attend many sizes of business.

What do you dislike?

The database is target of many attacks from it's SA account, this must came disabled by default and just after the instalation, some of 30 seconds, the attacks starts, with many requests per second, need to improve the firewall to prevent these attacks, or put the SQL Server inside of a VPN and local network to avoid these attacks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pay attention to indexes, and types of relations, try to keep the KPI's well identified, with the dimensions and facts tables well directed and considering to use some procedures as part of solution to business layers. Some programs have to transfer large number of rows instead to take some filters before request the results and this is very usefull when you build web and mobile applications.

Many things are developed with Microsoft SQL, from simple database management to CRM and BI, many solutions are develop connecting SQL Express to Excel, Power BI, Tableau or Qlik View. The vast information on internet and collaborator are good also.

MS SQL review by Chris Y.
Manager of Development Operations

"A Powerful Relational Database Server"

What do you like best?

If configured correctly with the proper hardware, SQL Server can be incredibly powerful, delivering millions of data points in the blink of an eye. Even poorly constructed schema can be arranged in views to allow developers to harness SQL's performance benefits.

What do you dislike?

When developing queries with complicated schema, it can be helpful to visualize how the tables are arranged. While SQL Server Management Studio does supply a visual query designer, it can be frustrating to use as (1) it doesn't store your arrangement in memory and will reset if you re-open the designer and (2) can generate some really messy queries using some strange things like RIGHT joins.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're just starting with relational databases, you would probably be fine with opting for an open source solution. However, if you need a solution that can handle an enormous number of requests and return results with considerable speed, SQL is worth researching to see if it fits your needs.

We use SQL Server to deliver large amounts of data to our clients. As some have moved away from stored procedures and views in favor of technologies that are faster to develop, such as LINQ with Entity Framework, we've noticed that data load time performance has degraded. To fix this, we've taken slow applications and moved querying logic into stored procedures and views to maximize performance.