MindManager

Mindjet is software for brainstorming, sharing ideas, creating plans, prioritizing tasks, and working across teams to implement projects.

Work for MindManager?

Learning about MindManager?

MindManager Reviews

Ask MindManager a Question
Showing 26 MindManager reviews
MindManager review by <span>Jeff A.</span>
Jeff A.

"my go-to tool for planning, controlling, and visualising work for over 10 years"

What do you like best?

The best thing about mindjet is that it's intuitive and fast. I can capture notes during meetings. Plan on screen with an audience, and even though i'm not the fastest typist in the world, it doesn't slow proceedings down.

What do you dislike?

I wish i could use the tool more for process optimisation work, but that would require that topics can be moved and related to each other more freeform like in visio rather that hierarchically as in mindjet currently.

I use the tool to plan many types of work and track progress at a task level. I use the formula features to manage budgets and cashflow vs. prioritised projects. I use it to rapidly frame out a project that i need to quote, and when i've finished dropping in ideas and 'dragging them around' to get the structure and phasing right, i then export into a 'slower software package' to apply 3-point estimates and formally quote. I use the tool while i am interviewing people, such as for a case study. I drop the essence of the discussion into the mindmap as we talk, and then flesh out the story afterwards when i have more time. It stops me from forgetting key points and agreed tasks.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about MindManager
MindManager review by User in Medical Devices
User in Medical Devices

"I am so glad I found Mindjet!"

What do you like best?

here is a list of things i like best about Mindjet

- when in a brainstorming meeting, we can lay out all ideas in a flow chart

- its mind maps are a easy to read and have a very clean lay out

- can use it to track status on projects

What do you dislike?

here is a list of things I did not like about Mindjet

- while the software does have compatibility to assign resources and due dates, no one is going to use it for this feature. The software is lacking in several ways: unable to email out tasks to people, unable to hold people accountable for them, MS projects does a much better job

the buttons can be confusing to use when creating a layout

Recommendations to others considering the product

Useful software, however be aware of its limitations.

The following is a list of business problems used to solve with MindJet

- essential for brain storming meetings to determine root caxuse

- creating test stacks

- essential to create flow charts for tasks to be completed

- used to create personal essays for MBA application

What Project Management solution do you use?

MindManager review by <span>Howard S. A.</span>
Howard S. A.

"Mindmanager - A great find"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and intuitive interface. Excellent community and templates to draw upon. I find that this software allows me to also integrate with other applications extremely well.

What do you dislike?

I think that the company could do a bit more in the way of promotion of this product. I find that I am reaching a bit here as I do not have bad things to share about this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say that this is one of the premier mindmapping applications and I would recommend it highly.

I am able to organize my thoughts in a visual manner. I lead a team. In doing so, I can compile our objectives in a more cohesive manner and people can better see the 30,000 ft view. I have seen great results with this approach. It is far better than using bulleted lists and more conventional to do lists.

People seem to retain the content and are able to collaborate at a higher more productive level.

MindManager review by Consultant in Management Consulting
Consultant in Management Consulting

"Best Mind Mapping Tool for a PM that I've used"

What do you like best?

I use this tool mostly for Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) like scope planning. Before I was introduced to this tool, I'd make one master WBS for the whole project and then move on. Now, I typically generate one to two dozen WBS like charts throughout the project because it helps facilitate conversation with staff members. Key to this ease of use is some well thought out intuitive key stroke planning that lets me keep up with the free flow of ideas. I didn't realize how important this was until I had the opportunity to use other mind mapping tools. These other tools had features that may be more useful for a BA, but I found them to cumbersome for a PM. Now knowing that each mind mapping tool is geared to a different type of user, I gravitate toward Mind Manager when the option is there.

What do you dislike?

Every version I've used since MindManager 7 has crashed my computer and loaded pointless background processes that start when the computer boots up. It's been enough to turn me off for a while until I found the same problem with other tools. I guess it just goes with the territory. In 2012, the company tried a scheme where you could no longer buy the product but had to pay for ongoing subscriptions. It was a blatant attempt to bilk customers for more money. The company backed off and reinstated product purchases but the move hasnow forever destroyed my trust in them as an honorable organization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good for scoping. It has a bunch of other bells and whistles that have been added over the years but the useful part of the product today is the same as it was in 2007 when I first began using it.

Great scoping tool for projects.

MindManager review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"MindManager changed my life"

What do you like best?

Maps perfectly over to the way information comes at you from all directions and from different sources (web links, emails, spreadsheets, manual notes), Easy to capture info and better yet easy to organize it. Once it is in place you assign task priorities and dates and filter the maps.

What do you dislike?

They are a little slow getting the iPhone app to work, so for now it's purely a desktop product. Only in the next few weeks will we might be seeing the ablility to share a map on DropBox and there is NO abilty to store docs in OpenDrive that can opened on an mobile device.

I use MindManager for any recording and organization of non-numerical data. Has replaced as my goto tool.

MindManager review by <span>Dave D.</span>
Dave D.

"Been using it for 8 years and its invaluable"

What do you like best?

I have recommended it to several people. The best feature is the ability to capture ideas on the fly and logically structure them later. I like the ability to attach graphics / icons and to filter on such. Export to Word is valuable to share with others. I have also sent the Mindjet PDF to many, but that needs a little coaching.

It matches my thinking and communication style. I like creating objects (topics) and aligning them as I see fit. I can put specific notes per topic and link wherever I need.

What do you dislike?

Only 1 image per topic and it also lacks the ability to construct data flow diagrams ala Visio with graphical decision blocks etc. It is difficult to arrange large maps.

I would really like to have the ability to structure a wizard to prompt people to answer topics and store the answers in a database. I know that's outside the concept of the mind map - but it would be wonderful to use this to create surveys or other knowledge capturing tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

good for capturing knowledge elicitation and brainstorming.

Using structured Change Management to implement Benefits Management for a major insurance company. Use it to document processes, establish a benefits hierarchy, create OCM org charts, define templaates.

Learning about MindManager?

* We monitor all MindManager reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.