MIP Fund Accounting

4.0

Full fund accounting functionality with module-based pricing

Work for MIP Fund Accounting?

Learning about MIP Fund Accounting?

MIP Fund Accounting Reviews

Ask MIP Fund Accounting a Question
Showing 25 MIP Fund Accounting reviews
MIP Fund Accounting review by Christine H.
Christine H.

"Good middle of the road software"

What do you like best?

The system is pretty intuitive. Modules work the way you would expect, for the most part.

What do you dislike?

We have experienced problems with ongoing support. We are assigned a sales/service rep who has not answered calls or e-mails for months. The help desk tries, and these folks are good. But their time is limited. We have had ongoing issues with the A/R module. The budget module is terrible - it is incredibly simple to wipe out work, just by hitting return.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We have social enterprise departments which require hundreds of invoices to be sent each month. We have experienced a problem in AR that Abila is unable to correct. We also would benefit from a quoting module for our catering business, but that does not exist. As much as I'd like everything in one integrated system, that's not possible. The budgeting module is beyond clunky. Places where you would think you would find easy upload capability are missing - mass file changes, an easily uploaded budget, etc.

We have implemented, or increased our functional use of a couple of the modules. We are trying to bring up budgeting and purchasing. I will have to figure out budgeting, purchasing will be later. "Help" in the system is not really helpful - no one writes help information in a way that I find useful.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about MIP Fund Accounting
MIP Fund Accounting review by Jonathan G.
Jonathan G.

"MIP has worked for years for us, but it is missing some advanced functionality"

What do you like best?

MIP let's us track over 200 projects with separate accounts and even varying currencies all over the world simultaneously.

What do you dislike?

We aren't able to track Cash Balances month to month or quarter to quarter while factoring in advanced things like Gain or Loss on Exchange rate in each period. Because of this, instead, we have to export all the data in our BI platform, create all these cash balances and calculate everything there instead.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We've been using MIP for years, and we honestly haven't examined the competitor landscape recently. So, if we were picking a solution today, we'd probably really dig into what alternatives are out there right now.

We manage over 200 projects around the world each with their own accounts and account managers to monitor budgets and spending. MIP allows us to organize all of this for each account manager without getting lost in all the data.

What Nonprofit Accounting solution do you use?

MIP Fund Accounting review by Paige B.
Paige B.

"Easy to use, improves efficiencies for various accounting functions"

What do you like best?

Very easy to run ad hoc analysis and drill down to detailed transactions and attached pdf documents. Easy to import journal entries and other transactions to facilitate input of large quantities of data.

What do you dislike?

We used their payroll module for a few months and it was awful. Payroll is much different from other modules with all the regulatory requirements. Abila is trying to be all things to all people but this one doesn't work. The ability to speak on the phone with customer service is bad as well. While they're quick to respond to online chat, average phone wait times are 35-45 minutes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great mid-sized non-profit solutions. In addition to regular financial reporting, it makes 990 reporting very easy. I highly recommend Abila MIP.

As the CFO, I can quickly run ad hoc reports and drill down to detail to better understand what's happening behind the numbers. With the EFT module, our AP department has been able to double their workload with no increase in staff by making EFT payments to 90% of our vendors. Our outside auditors have their own access which allows them to work through the annual audit more efficiently, keeping their fees down.

MIP Fund Accounting review by Tyler M.
Tyler M.

"Abila MIP Fund Accounting is not just a software, it is a tool. "

What do you like best?

I like the versatility of the product. Depending on the size of the business, Abila MIP Fund Accounting offers many different modules that service the needs of small, medium, and large size companies. You can purchase these modules at your own pace and Abila has many qualified workers that assist in helping your company decide what is the best way to build your accounting system.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that certain segments cannot be altered in Abila MIP Fund Accounting once a database has been created. For example, if your company was previously setup by an accountant who used only a three digit fund code when creating the database, you will always be limited to the decision of that accountant for that database. Only creating a new database will allow you to add a fourth digit. However, just like any other problem that I may have experienced with Abila MIP Fund Accounting, the problem can be fixed and Abila is there to help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are sometimes third parties involved with marketing Abila products. I prefer speaking directly with Abila.

The current goal within my department for my company is the improvement of the accounting period close and the streamlining of data entry. Originally, my company would produce financials manually in excel by cutting and pasting. By purchasing Abila MIP Fund Accounting Drillpoint module, I was able to link my accounting system directly to excel reducing my financial statement preparation time from four hours to fifteen minutes. Also, Abila offers many training classes that enabled me to better understand the importing and exporting of data into the accounting system. My company is importing and exporting more and more data every month which is increasing accuracy and timeliness within the department.

MIP Fund Accounting review by Paul D.
Paul D.

"Abila MIP provided the financial visibility our board has been demanding for years. "

What do you like best?

The software features a table driven chart of account that enables organizations like us to design our account segmentation so we can track our financials in multiple dimensions. It has a great deal of security features and options to assist in the segregation of duties, which can be difficult for smaller organizations like us. It's user interface is very intuitive and has a lot of safeguards to prevent data entry errors. You also only have to purchase the modules you need so it fit my budget too.

What do you dislike?

I wish the reporting module had more modifications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are working in nonprofit accounting you should absolutely make the switch to Abila MIP. There is nothing else out there for the nonprofit CFO like this. Every stakeholder has been satisfied by our switch from our board to our accountants.

We had a problem constructing a detailed budget and then tracking it by our programs, this led to inaccurate forecasting and deficits. After implementing Abila MIP we gained a tremendous amount of visibility and were able to hold ourselves more accountable. The investment in Abila MIP came back tenfold. In the first year alone we reduced our audit fees more than 30% and cut the budget deficit in half.

MIP Fund Accounting review by Joselito P.
Joselito P.

"MIP Review"

What do you like best?

On of the things ai like about MIP is the flexibility and the easy to use interface

What do you dislike?

The scheduler is not a standard issue and make it time consuming to run periodic reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about what module are necessary and if is cost effective

I am able to maintain different funds, and produce I individual reports.

MIP Fund Accounting review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"accounting software with potential"

What do you like best?

Abila allows users to create reports to meet reporting demands. In my line specifically, grant accounting, deals with a number of different and complex grant that require different types of styles of reporting. With Abila, I am able to rearrange the report to tailor to the requirements of the report. Another bonus, is that you can save the different templates.

What do you dislike?

Abila is not the most user friendly accounting tool I've seen, the platform is rudimentary. It desperately needs a face lift and aesthetics works.

Grant reporting and financial statements

"Abilia MIP"

What do you like best?

Very easy to navigate and the online chat support is the best feature. Also the customer support via phone is very helpful when you have techical issues that you can't solve via chat.

What do you dislike?

Really there isn't a whole lot that I can say I dislike. MIP is by far the easiest software I've used in Accounting so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use and support is awesome!

Online chat support and support via report telephone are awesome! Voiding invoices and checks are easy through MIP.

MIP Fund Accounting review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Mid Size Non-profit LOVES Abila MIP"

What do you like best?

We love that the software allows us to have multiple revenue sources. Our agency has more than 40 funding sources and Abila makes it seamless. The reporting feature and reconciliation make it easy to give our managers the information they need to run their programs.

What do you dislike?

Not many nonprofits in our area use Abila making it hard to find staff who have been previously trained in the software. However, we have our first Finance Assistant and we are training our first employee to use the software in addition to our Finance Director. Both the Finance Director and new assistant have found it easy to train in the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We recommend Abila MIP to any nonprofit who wants to do their finance in-house. We have found it to be one of the best investments for our agency. Although it is expensive, we feel the help we get, the ease of use and the features in the software have taken our agency from a small "mom and pop shop" to a professional and dynamic agency able to manage our money with ease.

We use Abila MIP as our primary accounting software. We love that we can have multiple revenue sources and have an easy time navigating the system. The system generates excellent reports, we have excellent help from the company when needed and many advantages for training. We have recently added the HR software add on which has taken us from a paper system to a data base for employee information. We currently run a $1.4 million budget - we love Abila MIP.

MIP Fund Accounting review by Consultant in Non-Profit Organization Management
Consultant in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Outsourced CFO for Nonprofit Organizations"

What do you like best?

The GL segments and Distribution Codes make allocations very easy to maintain and track, which is especially helpful and efficient.

What do you dislike?

The Financial Statement formats do not have enough options for customization for titles, column headers and formulas. If this area could be improved, there would not be a need to export financial reports to an excel spreadsheet to complete preferred formatting. Also, do not like the way the figures in the number columns do not line up with the GL description lines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always include training when preparing a cost estimate or budget item for the Abila MIP Fund Accounting system. Using this system correctly and understanding how everything works is the key to a successful implementation and improvement in completing all accounting duties.

I work as an outsourced CFO / Consultant to various nonprofit organizations and usually have a variety of financial reports, including budgets to format or prepare for them. I always try to recommend the Abila MIP Fund Accounting system for organizations that need the grants management functionality. Also am involved with training accounting staff, and designing and implementing accounting procedures and policies.

MIP Fund Accounting review by Patricia R.
Patricia R.

"Works for us"

What do you like best?

MIP is flexible enough so that both our accountant and me (a non-accountant) can both get the functionally we need. I find the Accounts Payable module very simple to use, so the process from entering an invoice to printing the check is quick and efficient.

What do you dislike?

Unlike other Abila products (like FR50), I found it slightly harder to learn. I also wish the reports had more modifications. Importing data requires a definition file, which is not intuitive to modify. It takes trial and error, but once it is in place it works great.

We outgrew QuickBooks.

MIP Fund Accounting review by User in Higher Education

"Improved interface but still clunky"

What do you like best?

Ability to customize reports to get out the information I need

What do you dislike?

The interface has been updated but I still feel that this is an outdated looking app and not very user friendly There is a steep learning curve.

Monthly reports, annual reports to funders. I no longer have to keep a separate set of books manually!

MIP Fund Accounting review by Administrator in Public Policy
Administrator in Public Policy

"Using Abila MIP Has Been Easy to Obtain Information Our Company Needs"

What do you like best?

I like best the ability to create ad hoc reports to filter and set criteria in order to obtain desired information in reports. Easy to view information via screen view, and the print to Excel and pdf options are so valuable.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that I was unable to track the hundreds of grants that my company issues to subawardees in Abila MIP. We had to find a workaround using the budgeting module in an attempt to track the subawards grant amounts and their payments and remaining balances. It is not the ideal setup. Would love to see Abila MIP set up a module specific to tracking voluminous awards to our subgrantees.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Abila MIP for ease of use, user-friendly solution, and ability to create and customize adhoc reports. You can track expenses by funding source just by setting up unique grant codes or unit codes in Abila MIP. A optimal choice for nonprofits.

Benefits realized include solving the problem of how to track expenses by different funding source. We are also beginning to use the software for cost pools and distributions to meet our indirect cost rate requirements. Recently, we have begun to explore the process of implementing use of the purchasing and AR billing modules. I am excited about this prospect as I have read the details of what Abila MIP offers in these two modules and am ready to use these electronic solutions for our company so that we can get away from the paper, Excel solutions we've used for so long.

MIP Fund Accounting review by Doug S.
Doug S.

"Abila Fund Accounting"

What do you like best?

Has accounting controls built in. Excellent budget variance reports

What do you dislike?

Too many steps to create and post a journal entry. Need to improve forecasting, AP automation, and the dashboard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a full service accounting package where you can add specialized modules.

Preparing monthly budget vs. actual variance reports by program. Allowed us to add another company within same database

MIP Fund Accounting review by User

"serviceable, but not my favorite"

What do you like best?

fairly broad range of capabilities, and good user community forum

What do you dislike?

interfaces and trying to do anything specialized or merge data bases

Recommendations to others considering the product

do as much work and think of as many questions as possible during install and set up

non profit focus

MIP Fund Accounting review by Internal Consultant in Accounting
Internal Consultant in Accounting

"MIP over the decades. "

What do you like best?

I like that the underlying accounting is transparent and I like the versatility of the account structure.

What do you dislike?

That one can't add a description when entering a recurring entry. One has to process the recurring entry and then open it under transactions to add the description.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Any one needing software to handle NFP restrictions, grants and detailed reporting will be very happy switching to MIP

I took over a NFP using Quickbooks and while the data entry in Quickbooks is easy, getting NFP reports out is very time consuming and manual. I took them into MIP, was able to set up standard monthly and annual reports which freed me to spend my time on more value added activities.

"Clunky and outdated "

What do you like best?

Nothing, this is terrible software, it makes my job difficult.

What do you dislike?

The difficulty in correcting mistakes, it is nearly impossible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don’t do it!!!

It’s better than paper accounting but barely

MIP Fund Accounting review by Chris B.
Chris B.

"Who would have thought we were going to need all these bells and whistles!"

What do you like best?

Its ability to set up multiple funding streams meeting state and federal requirements.

Also the additional modules you can acquire.

What do you dislike?

At first I thought it was too complex with lots of bells and whistles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Having a high level consultant

We are meeting federal requirements, helping with our audit, and managing our state's grants while their in a crisis.

MIP Fund Accounting review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Abila MIP Fund Accounting"

What do you like best?

I like that there is so much that you are able to do with this module. Everything from payroll to bank statements.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it sometimes miscalculates, and it has to be double checked for errors.

It is easy to post payments and receivables into the software. It has made doing payroll much quicker and more efficient.

MIP Fund Accounting review by User in Individual & Family Services
User in Individual & Family Services

"Software Review"

What do you like best?

The information is relatively basics information needed to enter a new employee

What do you dislike?

Not user friendly in regards to an HR professional. Have to search for reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

visit the live training when possible so that you can get your questions resolved on site.

I only use the HR tab as I am an HR Professional

Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Excellent fund accounting application"

What do you like best?

Responsive, knowledgeable customer support. Intuitive user interface.

What do you dislike?

Frequent changes in ownership. Abila is the fourth owner of this application since we began using it in 2004.

It is the accounting system for our nonprofit. As a United Way, we have more complex accounting requirements than other nonprofits given our business model.

MIP Fund Accounting review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Chief Accounting Officer"

What do you like best?

Versatile enough to accommodate the various allocations and reporting methods required for our entity.

What do you dislike?

The license is restricted to use for five or less companies.

Able to report in a variety of ways, as requested by management.

"Abila MIP Review"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use of MIP. It is very intuitive and easy to learn.

What do you dislike?

The reports function proves to be a bit daunting at times.

Once you have specialized reports created, the day to day functions are much simpler.

MIP Fund Accounting review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"Abila"

What do you like best?

Information is easy to find and categories are well sorted.

What do you dislike?

Object codes should have better descriptions.

Helps stay within budget for multiple departments.

MIP Fund Accounting review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Abila"

What do you like best?

I like the cloud hosted and customization aspects. the reporting is good.

What do you dislike?

if the internet is slow it gets bogged down. updates are not quick

better financial repports

Learning about MIP Fund Accounting?

* We monitor all MIP Fund Accounting reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.