Miva

Miva

Miva is an enterprise ecommerce platform that gives you the ability to manage a personalized and constantly evolving ecommerce ecosystem (B2B & B2C sales, inventory management, shipping, returns, and more) from a single management interface.

Work for Miva?

Learning about Miva?

Miva Reviews

Ask Miva a Question
Showing 128 Miva reviews
Miva review by Bai L.
Bai L.

"Excellent Online Shopping Cart with Great Technical Support"

What do you like best?

MIVA's GREAT TECHNICAL SUPPORT TEAM! - the support staff have gone above and beyond to help us with technical requests. They are knowledgeable and response quickly to our questions; for us, that is the MOST important.

We love Marketing (Subscription module not been explore yet) module features and its capabilities! It is an excellent tools. We had recently switch from our traditional website to ReadyTheme and it is wonderful. We can now access our admin side of the web portion anywhere! We have been using Miva Merchant for over 10 plus year and have no intention of changing from this platform!

In fact, we are switching one of our customer's current platform to MIVA! The many great features within Miva Merchant will accommodate our new customer's request. We look forward to exploring all of its features!

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike yet. Maybe a little more accessible to the 'back door' coding of MIVA?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely! If flexibility and customization features in a software is what you are looking for; then Miva Merchant is the right choice. Not to mention Miva's fast, reliable and excellent tech support! The support staff have gone above and beyond to help us when we have technical requests.

Earlier, we bought a separate module for creating coupon code. We now use Marketing module to accomplish the task. Miva's Marketing module is excellent! We can schedule/create multiple coupons running with multiple options as well as exclusions - and it's FREE!

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Miva
Miva review by Bobby J.
Bobby J.

"Support for Miva"

What do you like best?

Support is easy to work with and always answers my questions. Miva has helped me to have a great presence on the internet with my smaller company. Also I have spent the time to learn how to do the programming myself and that is attributed to Miva great framework. I have some extended content and Miva makes it easy. The new setup with 9 has given me so many more options. I love Miva Software and have no intention of changing from this platform.

What do you dislike?

Need more detail in videos, sometimes they only give one scenario. Example under the Marketing video it would be nice to see more information on how to set up the pricing. Each Type is different but video only shows one type. Hoe helpful that would be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great product and would recommend highly. Using Miva since around 1984.

Updating to a mobile friendly frame was one thing I did. I have learned a lot how to use Miva and I appreciate that I can do my own work. I have been using Miva Just about from the beginning of Miva. With each enhancement it just gets better. I have looked at other ecommerce software but none compare to what I want and get with Miva. The support videos are great and information is continually getting better. I would like to see more detail in the videos, example not just one scenario of use. I always recommend Miva to anyone wanting to use ecommerce platform. Let me say i have never felt neglected by anyone at Miva, support is the strongest i have seen in any company.

What E-Commerce Platforms solution do you use?

Miva review by Mark L.
Mark L.

"Happy Miva User"

What do you like best?

We started with Miva 2.0, back in 1997 or so. Over the next decade or so, we looked at other shopping carts. When the current owners bought Miva, very good things began to happen. The platform started getting incrementally better then it started a process of taking big steps for improving. For example, with one iteration the database queries became 15X faster (verified by third party software).

Miva used to be behind in development, so we paid for a lot of customization. Now Miva is ahead of us and we just follow their lead and their recommendations.

All that sounds good, right? But it means nothing if you have a problem and can't get support. Miva's support is astounding. Even when I write a ticket thinking, "There's no way they are going to help with this issue, it's not their problem" Miva takes ownership and helps me.

What do you dislike?

Here is my comprehensive list of what I don't like about Miva:

That's all I could think of. I hope that wasn't too overwhelming.....

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be swayed by a competitor's intro pricing deal or biased feature comparison lists. It's not about how cheaply you can get a shopping cart; you pay dearly for that approach. It's not about useless features. It's not even about having the right solution because without support that solution solves nothing. Calling Miva's support "amazing" is an understatement. They are the Southwest Airlines of shopping carts, taken to the next level.

The Miva shopping cart helps us extend our e-commerce presence (we are primarily an Amazon seller), and that's nice. But the real benefit is we used Miva's Themes to create a professional-looking site. This instills confidence in people who check us out. Many Amazon shoppers will actually search for the seller's site (for various reasons). If the site does not project a professional image, those shoppers won't trust that seller.

Miva review by Robin M.
Robin M.

"We wouldn't consider anything but MIVA"

What do you like best?

Miva is flexible and we are able to adapt it to fit our needs. Over the years more out-of-the-box functionality has been build into Miva; it is constantly improving. Support at Miva is GREAT! Don't use it much, but when I do, they are there and solve my problem on the first call.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Miva integrated better with Wordpress. The premise of Miva seems to be that first and foremost you have a store and the rest of your website is secondary. We are primarily a B-to-B and our store actually plays a small role in our business, but we need it for B-to-C transactions and for that we need something that is easy and dependable and Miva fits that bill.

Easy online purchase of our web-based training and a connection to our LMS to automatically complete the course registration. That was all programmed using Mivascript.

Miva review by Jon M.
Jon M.

"MIVA - A fantastic Web/E-Commerce platform with an equally great support staff - Highly Recommend"

What do you like best?

Stable & Fast e-Commerce Platform

A long list of features included at no extra charge

Constant Improvements to the platform; all included in subscription fees

Great Support, available 24/7 with reasonable return times & competent support techs who make sure you get the problem either solved or push you in the right direction to get it solved.

Run by a first rate CEO and team (rare).

What do you dislike?

Can be a little more expensive than some of the competition

Some elements in the back end can be a little more confusing to utilize than what one would normally expect

Reporting system is decent, but not excellent

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would absolutely recommend MIVA to anybody considering an e-commerce solution. My only caveat would be that I think if you do not have a great grasp of setting up a website, you should consider hiring somebody who can do the work for you. This isn't squarespace or Wix. It'll require some development level knowledge for sure. If you want to develop a long term professional e-commerce company that can grow and not run out of support, this is the one to use.

We have used MIVA to create an e-commerce store making gardening products available to the end user. We're very satisfied with what MIVA has provided to us.

Miva review by Sarah A.
Sarah A.

"Robust and flexible ecommerce system"

What do you like best?

We've used MIVA for a couple of years now and love the front-end and back-end flexibility of their system. It has been easy to customize our site and the support staff have gone above and beyond to help us realize specific requests.

What do you dislike?

Integrations with third parties are not as abundant as with more established brands, but that hasn't proved to be a big problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Miva is growing and adding features at a rapid clip. Customer support is unmatched. Very happy with our choice.

We use our site to build our brand, inform about our products and to build our customer database. One of our best uses so far is implementing and managing a large affiliate program or streamers and esports teams.

Miva review by Pamela H.
Pamela H.

"20+ years in ecommerce consulting and I still recommend Miva"

What do you like best?

Flexibility. You can add module plugins, as well as custom HTML scripts for both design and data driven purposes.

What do you dislike?

Authorized modules for major services sometimes take a long time for approval. This is typically due to the third-party service engineers' full plates when it comes to final testing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can expect to have to invest in some third-party module solutions to be competitive in your market. You'll also need to read supporting documentation to ensure you have a clear understanding. Miva Merchant is easy to learn, but you should always have an understanding about how various configurations and changes will affect the design, functionality and operation of the online store.

I've worked with hundreds of online stores running this shopping cart, as either designer, developer or consultant. Benefits include flexibility, PCI compliancy, streaming updates and accessible customer support.

Miva review by Guy T.
Guy T.

"Great ecommerce platform that rivals much more expensive options"

What do you like best?

Miva invests in improving their product over marketing their product and it shows. The platform is powerful, flexible, stable and updates never break your store. Support is US based and very accessible.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see easier integration with third party platforms/service providers but I know this is already being worked on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't overlook Miva. It is not as well known as some others, yet still powerful and flexible (not an easy combination to achieve) and the best bang for the buck.

Miva scales exceptionally well so it is a great choice for startups all the way through enterprise level operations. If you don't think that is important wait until your first platform upgrade. All the core ecommerce features you'd expect are included. More importantly, those core features are robust and well implemented.

Miva review by Administrator

"MIVA - Long time user, but the grass greener on the other side"

What do you like best?

Ready Theme coding is pretty user-friendly. Couponing system is pretty good, although it sometimes is very convoluted.

What do you dislike?

Nothing is "Out of the Box" Functions. It seems everytime we want something that is a basic function, we have to have it custom coded. For instance... The Subscription program is great; however, you would think the customer would be able to change their flavor of drink the next month... NOPE. Changing attributes is not native to the module. MIVA quoted over 40 Hours of development time. We found someone that did it for 4. Really MIVA..... Still mad about that. Also they raised their rates per hour, but failed to send it to the primary card holder.... convenient. Also any kind of metrics or sales data is very limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have been using MIVA for a very long time. My knowledge of anything other than MIVA is limited.

So I am not sure if Magento or Shopify is better or gives me more tools to work with. I will say that if you are looking for a flawless out of the box experience, you will not get it here.

They host our website and our store. Nothing unique is being solved.

Miva review by Linda P.
Linda P.

"MIVA - A fantastic Web/E-Commerce platform"

What do you like best?

Secure & Fast e-Commerce Program

A long list regarding features included without added charge

Constant Improvements to be able to the platform; all contained in subscription fees

Great Help, available 24/7 with sensible return times & proficient support techs who ensure you get the problem both solved or push an individual the right way to get it solved.

What do you dislike?

Licensed modules for major options sometimes take a extended coming back approval. This specific is typically due to the particular thirdparty service engineers' complete dishes when it arrives to be able to final testing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at the size of your business and the support sums you'll need to function a mission-critical application properly. Take into account the lack of revenue you would are afflicted by outages. Whether you're team is usually in charge of the situation delete word, consider about the sense regarding urgency you'd appreciate since you make an effort to recover. Would certainly an outgoing message of which says, "Thanks for contacting. Unfortunately, our associates usually are currently in a business meeting... " make an individual happy as you lookup for guidance?

The web is getting very little, if wish to compete towards powerhouses like amazon, walmart, and target the a person need software that may contend at their level. Miva Merchant is that system for us. It's the very powerful platform with regard to eCommerce with many functions. Basically it keeps all of us ahead of our competitors.

Miva review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Long Time Happy User"

What do you like best?

I have been a Miva user since 2003, Originally I selected it for being a licensed package in a one time purchase it gave great flexibility to do whatever I wanted. I have never been happier now that it is a fully managed. Being all inclusive we have saved so much time and effort solving problems trying to get things to work, If there is a problem (this is not often) MIVA takes ownership and takes care of it. MIVA is constantly evolving and improving, I am now happy to follow MIVA's lead.

To list things I really appreciate:

- Awesome Support!

- Awesome Support! (and they all speak english)

- Stable and Reliable - I have had 0 down time for years now

- Most features I need are built in

- Cross platform including mobile all look and work perfect

- Constant Improvements

- Very customizable

- Updates are flawlessly executed

- Did I mention Awesome customer support

I am thrilled I now spend time developing my business and not my software,

What do you dislike?

Not too much to dislike. If I want something I just have to ask it probably already exists and I didnt know about it.

Order Processing can be a bit clunky especially when volume is high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

whether you are new to e commerce or a seasoned veteran you can feel confident choosing Miva

Stable Reliable B2C

Miva review by Colin M.
Colin M.

"MIVA new products and support are excellent"

What do you like best?

For a small Internet Retailer keeping our website fresh with features that attract customers, and do not break the bank is vital. We have been with MIVA for over a dozen years and they have always done that for us. Here are some of the often free MIVA developed Mods and Mods from their development partners that have help us:

- Most important - what must be the industries' fastest responding and helpful support department who have got us out of a lot of trouble with Mod use and our poor HTML coding.

- Reliable, in-built; display, payment, shipping, marketing, customer interface, functions.

- THUB MIVA Order export and Quickbooks import with a full, reliable shipping engine and dashboard.

- Digital Downloads for software, and to provide information for customers.

- Product Copy - to speed up the creation of families of new products.

- Product Review Mod.

- Interface to LiveChat.

- Emporium Plus Mod to help with tricky customization and added functions.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. When we have made improvement suggestions they have always been responsive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We cannot compare them to other shopping cart and Internet ecommerce solutions but we can heartily reccomend them without reservation.

The biggest is seemless integration with QuickBooks. Next is the seamless payment integration with Authorize.net, PayPal and Amazon. Reduction in Google AdWords expenditures with good marketing tools.

Miva review by Bob P.
Bob P.

"Super Stable Platform With an Amazing Number of Outstanding Features"

What do you like best?

Some of our product lines involve literally thousands of individual items. Miva makes adding a new line a breeze. And once the line is online, Miva makes keeping the stock/out-of-stock item updating easy, too.

Adding discounts or coupons for individual or whole groups of items is simple as well.

We also appreciate how easy it is to change or tweak the "look and feel" of pages or the entire site.

Adding sales messages to the category tree (or anywhere else for that matter) can be with just a few steps.

The new Ready Theme pages has made Miva so intuitive, it practically takes your hand and guides you through the most tedious daily tasks in just minutes.

We've been using Miva and hosting several ecommerce domains on one of their dedicated servers for over a decade and their continuing improvements and customer service are outstanding. They really are a partner and part of our team. I highly recommend Miva for both new businesses just entering the ecommerce scene and older online businesses who value minimum required admin time for their store. "Time is money". Miva frees you up to spend more time on marketing strategy, etc. I really can't imagine a better solution for any online business.

What do you dislike?

Good question, but I honestly have no complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an online solution to e-commerce that truly listens and puts clients first, look no further.

Our family business has been with Miva for over a decade. Miva is the best partner we could have ever hoped for. We've never had a single bad experience with their servers or their products. You always get more than you expect from Miva customer service and their developers. We're here to stay.

Problem: Huge number of items per product line. Without Miva, this would be super time consuming with the other platforms we've looked at. Miva wins here, hands down.

Benefits: Super easy to massage the data for in stock/out of stock items. Nothing upsets a customer like placing an order and finding out an item is out-of-stock and wasn't noted.

Miva review by Jeff F.
Jeff F.

"Miva - It works"

What do you like best?

We have been using Miva with our non-profit's website for several years. It has met our needs with minimal effort and at reasonable costs.

What do you dislike?

About annually we get an update notice at the same time we get a bill for not updating. It is a small fee, but annoying when we perform the updates timely after receiving notice of the update's availability and likely impacts to our website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Based on our non-profit's experiences with Miva, I recommend you consider it.

We are a non-profit that benefits its members and the public by easily and affordably offering legal related professional servcies.

Miva review by Jill H.
Jill H.

"MIVA Merchant has the best flexibility and US based support that will actually resolve problem!"

What do you like best?

MIVA Merchant has the best support, US based and knowledgeable from the first call. O They help even when it is just a matter of training! Anything I need, there is a module for that. There is a flat fee for the software so they don't charge me a % of my sales.

What do you dislike?

Miner, the label printing and packing slip built in module could be more robust..

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software has the best support available. The people who support actually use the software themselves. The are US based and open 24/7. I have called on a Sunday morning.

Needed a flexible online storefront that was Google search friendly.

Miva review by Drew H.
Drew H.

"Miva for the Long Haul"

What do you like best?

Miva is a flexible platform and with the proper developer it can do just about anything. In the early days the module store allowed us to make Miva into whatever we needed. Now, Miva's core product includes much of what we had to outsource in the early days so it works much better overall.

We host through Miva and have since 2003. Up time has been nothing short of remarkable with no more than a couple of hours of down in 13 years.

What do you dislike?

I think Miva should have developed a content management platform already. Much of what makes a company website these days is content and not just a good product page. At least 80% of our site is straight content pages which drive most of the organic traffic. Integrating these pages into the Miva platform is a challenge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Miva is not typically listed with the "big" platforms and this is a shame. This does not mean that Miva's community is less vibrant or that the product has fewer features. Give Miva as much consideration as you would the other choices.

At this point we mostly have to solve integration issues with other software. Miva has always been the easiest part of these equations.

Miva review by Asim K.
Asim K.

"Customer for 15 Years"

What do you like best?

Miva is a highly customizable product, however, it can also be used pretty simply out of the box with templates. Their design team is fantastic.

What do you dislike?

There was a recent price hike in the last year that was steep. I'm talking a 225% increase. The industry has admittedly changed, however, the sudden change in pricing was shocking to their loyal community. It is now in line and competitive with products like Magento and Shopify. They are constantly improving the software, which is a good thing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always pick a solution that you can grow into, not one that is too small or perfectly sized to start with. When I started, I could have custom coded because I thought that Miva was too big. Lucky for me I grew into the product and have thrived since. Definitely compare pricing with other cards. Replatforming does suck thought, I have to tell you. I have first hand experience with that. I was considering an OpenCart implementation for one of my sites, but went back to Miva because of their great forums, support, and their design club. Miva has done a good job in reinventing itself in the last 5 years. The solution is now robust. Pricing can change at a whim, although comparable to other solutions, many experienced some sticker shock at a price increase they did last year.

The product integrates very well out of the box with various other software that I run.

Miva review by Administrator in Fine Art
Administrator in Fine Art

"Happy Customer"

What do you like best?

Stable & Fast e-Commerce Platform

A long list of features included at no extra charge

Constant Improvements included in subscription fees

Great 24/7 Support with fast return times, competent and friendly support techs. Communication is continuous throughout the process of any needed assistance. All tasks are notified of completion.

I've been with this company for more than ten years and have found it to be run by professionals.

I would absolutely recommend MIVA to anybody considering an e-commerce solution. Their design team has been fabulous and helped me to create a beautiful website that receives many compliments.

What do you dislike?

Somewhat more expensive than some of the competition.

For a non-tech company owner, I have found some elements difficult to utilize but amazed at myself for being able to learn the ropes. This being said, Miva techs are right there to step in and help.

Would like more info on website stats, a report would be nice which is probably available but as I said, I am a non-tech person and don't know how to get it from the site. I recommend for other persons like myself, be sure to have a tech available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended.

We have used MIVA to create an e-commerce website with a store that offers both fine art and teaching texts. These products are easily accessed and available worldwide.

We are very satisfied with what MIVA provides for us.

Miva review by Lisa L.
Lisa L.

"MIva user for 15 years"

What do you like best?

they have the best customer support team & the software stays current with e-commerce trends

What do you dislike?

It's not as easy to use as some software but the tutorials are good and there are many bells and whistles included with their package

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are not technical you will need a tech team to get you started. you can learn to do website maintenance and updates to your site from the tutorial, clicking around and figuring it out, or the support team is there for you. Once you learn to think the way the system does it will all make sense.

Constant problem is staying on top of new e-commerce solutions. The benefit realized is they are fairly fast to market with providing the new tools.

Miva review by Josh P.
Josh P.

"Miva Merchant is a great partner with great experience and knowledge. Enjoy working withthese guys!"

What do you like best?

Love the import export feature. It has helped tremendously to improve overall efficiency when managing categories and products. The Admin Dashboard is very easy to navigate allowing for us to move very quickly and merchandise the website very effectively. Find the interface to be very user intuitive which lends itself to getting up and running very quickly.

What do you dislike?

The promotion engine that MIVA has built is very user friendly and makes setting up promotions easy. However, there could be improvements made that would improve the overall efficiency of setting up promotions. If the client is working with a lot of skus there are some limits.

There are some basic features that also could be added that would make running your site much easier. Content Management with scheduling would be very helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Create a priority list of all goals that you would like to achieve with your new platform and partner. Then compare that list to all of the potential partners you are vetting. It will help with identifying where you value is and where your gaps are.

Many of the features that Miva has available are helping to make processes more efficient. This is allow for more strategic thought and the freedom to drive sales.

Miva review by Florentin S.
Florentin S.

"Fantastic product"

What do you like best?

I started building online stores using the Miva Merchant platform about 8 years ago and still a big fan of this product and the company behind it. I actually worked at Miva as a web developer for a number of years and I'm now a happy client of Miva. Having worked for the company I can tell you the people behind this product are quite amazing, which is the reason why I believe in the company's future and its ability to continue to deliver the best eCommerce platform on the market.

Over the years, I've worked with eCommerce platforms like Magento, Shopify, osCommerce, WooCommerce, BigCommerce and while all these platforms have their own strengths, I have now doubt that the best overall eCommerce platform you can get in todays market is by far Miva Merchant. Also, when you call their support line or send them an email you talk to real (and very knowledgeable) people here in the US, instead of beating around the bush with some tech support over in who knows where.

What do you dislike?

- Built-in store analytics are not very robust at this point and I'm hoping they'll address this in one of their next releases.

- I'm hoping they'll start nurturing their module developer community more over the next years, so store owners in need of custom development can easily find third party developers.

- It would be great if must have store features like faceted search or abandoned cart logic are built into the core software, rather than having to rely on third party modules or services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Replatforming is painful and very costly, so it's very important to start with the right platform from the get go.

- Miva Merchant runs very fast in terms of page load times, especially when compared to other eCommerce platforms. This is mainly because they have really great server setups that are capable of handling not only day to day traffic but also significant traffic spikes.

- Their template language is easy to learn and allows for quick turnaround times when customizing the front-end user experience. This is a huge edge over other eCommerce platforms.

Miva review by Ron G.
Ron G.

"One of the Best E-Commerce Platforms Out There! Period."

What do you like best?

Miva is simply a great company with great people. Miva truly cares about making great software and, more importantly, seeing their customers succeed with their software.

They have a brilliant team of developers, as well as very professional account/project managers. Customer support is always available and responsive. The Miva forum community is active and super helpful.

Hosting is extremely dependable. I don't think we ever had a single downtime!

Miva's software itself is excellent and only getting better. Miva is fast and stable. It just works.

To me, however, the most important facet of Miva is its flexibility in terms of design and functionality. You have complete control over how you want to design your site. Or you can get up and running quickly with their new Ready Theme templates.

For functionality, Miva was the only platform that was able to meet all the needs of our B2B website AND the only platform that can integrate with our enterprise backend system. A few of the requirements required custom programming by Miva. Their pricing was reasonable and their programming, project management and deployment was flawless.

What do you dislike?

Not much really.

Miva started to incorporate into their core software features that were only found in 3rd party modules. I'd like to see them get more aggressive in that direction so that we're less dependent on the 3rd party modules.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a bit of a learning curve to learning and using Miva, but there are tons of resources, including detailed user guides, tutorial videos and a great forum.

The more you use it, the more impressed you'll be and the easier it will get.

Whoever is managing your Miva site should have a good grasp of HTML and CSS.

For our B2B site, we were able to tackle complicated requirements like multiple pricing levels, multi-warehouse inventory management, bulk order fulfillment, controlled access to content and, of course, integration with an enterprise business system.

Miva review by Jen G.
Jen G.

"Fully Capable Miva is the way to go"

What do you like best?

We are currently enrolled in the monthly plan and I am very impressed with the out of the box features. The base platform is feature rich which you don't see on other platforms. I love I can do so much at such a great price. I also love the team at Miva. Philip, Anthony, Brennan, Nate have been super helpful with educating us on the product and getting our site launched.

What do you dislike?

I think the one thing I dislike is that I can't learn things fast enough. They have great manuals/videos and support staff but it is a lot to take in. It's not hard just takes a little time to learn. If this was the only thing all day I would be fine but I have to manage other programs at the office too. The guides have been a great resource for me since right now I have a very low budget for extra help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- take your time and really understand how things work and how things are connected

- don't rush when making a decision

- read the features - you will be impressed

We are currently on the magento platform which is cumbersome, expensive, hard to use and you need a support staff to truly manage it. We were looking for a quick and inexpensive solution to launch several websites. Our first website with magento took 1.5 years, granted we had agency issues but coding for magento took awhile. It took me 6 weeks with Miva. I could have launched in a week if this was the only thing I manged. I wear many hats so had to split my time on this and other projects.

Miva review by Kevin S.
Kevin S.

"Miva Merchant .... In one word AWESOME!"

What do you like best?

Miva Merchant, in my opinion is simply awesome. For the past 15 years we used the Miva platform on our four websites, with it we have grown from a small part-time business to the multi-million dollar power house that we are today. Miva has been with us every step of the way. From it’s sleek modern responsive design ready themes that can get you up and running in a matter of hours, to a intuitive administration panel that can allow you to have complete control over the look and feel of your website if you want it. Cool features such as wish lists, gift certificates, discount coupons, upsells, market place feeds, order history just to name a few. The built in CRM to process orders and handle all your customers needs from tracking numbers, to even reminding your customers their credit cards is about to expire is great. But what sets them apart for our company is their tech support. 24 hours a day we have support, and support that happens quickly not days as with other hosts we dealt with in our early years. Oh, did I mention US based tech support! From a simple how to question on to change something to help with PCI compliance issues, Miva has been there for us. I know this sound like a sale pitch, but the truth is without the help of Miva over the years we would not be where we are today.

What do you dislike?

Not much, it works for us. Yes, I would love to pay less, but lets face it. If you want the best its worth every penny.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its power and with their ready themes you can get a modern website up and running very quickly. An their web hosting is top notch.

The internet is getting very small, if want to compete against powerhouses like amazon, walmart, and target the you need software that can compete at their level. Miva Merchant is that platform for us. It's a very powerful platform for eCommerce with many features. Basically it keeps us ahead of our competition.

Miva review by Doug B.
Doug B.

"Great platform for comprehensive eCommerce delivery"

What do you like best?

Deep functionality, continuous release developments, full-featured eCommerce capabilities, extensive item pricing and marketing promotion features, excellent SEO support, and innovative shopping cart features.

What do you dislike?

There is little to dislike ... opportunities exist to make the add-on module ecosystem more broadly supported and more engaged; over time, it will be helpful to deepen the sys admin flexibility (e.g., rubust custom field edits).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fully engage with Miva. Invest in attending the Mivacon conferences; they are invigorating, informative, and very engaging. Everyone of the gives you a sense of the energetic, client-centric culture at Miva. Focus on learning everything you can about the platform as early as possible. There is much more there than any client can use, but knowing the possibilities will improve your site design and expand your possibilities.

We had complex, variable custom pricing requirements, deeper functional needs throughout due to my clients multi-faceted B2B business model, and a need to integrate data and functionality with our ERP system; however, the Miva team was very capable and responsive in assisting us with all of those developments.. Great company, great culture, great people ... great platfrorm.

Miva review by Brian G.
Brian G.

"Too critical to leave to just anybody..."

What do you like best?

Miva understands partnership. That sounds trite, but its vital when you think about the role their software plays in the operation of any legitimate online business. We can't afford mistakes, errors, downtime, or poorly designed software. More importantly, we can't afford to deal with eCommerce platform providers that don't have a sense of urgency when these issues inevitably arise. Miva has never let us down. To the contrary, we can share stories of true heroism based on actual support they've provided.

What do you dislike?

My greatest dislike about Miva is that we did not find them earlier. We struggled to manage our business with a very well-known platform provider located in our own area code...something they were surprised to find out despite our very high rank on their customer list. It speaks volumes about everything that is wrong with the other guys...and everything we value so greatly about Miva.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about the size of your business and the support levels you'll need to run a mission-critical application responsibly. Think about the loss of income you would suffer from downtime. Whether you're team is responsible for the problem or not, think about the sense of urgency you'd appreciate as you try to recover. Would an outgoing message that says, "Thanks for calling ___. Unfortunately, all of our associates are currently in a company meeting..." make you happy as you search for guidance?

Our business is 100% eCommerce-based. We are a wholesaler that pioneered the use of eCommerce for supporting the retail shops we serve. We continue to define new features that are useful in a B2B setting. With Miva, so far it has been true...if you can dream it, you can make it work in Miva. With the other platforms we've used, we were constrained to the features they provided and the B2C paradigm for which those features were designed.

Miva review by Derek P.
Derek P.

"Solid and Extensible"

What do you like best?

Nothing is hard-coded in Miva. We have particularly complex rules with various parts of our business (such as shipping restrictions), and the shopping cart has been able to meet each challenge. The flexibility of the software is great, which helps us a lot since our product line has a lot of complexity to it.

The hosting has been excellent and our account manager has always been there for our needs. Outside of our account manager, their customer support has been great and always respond to any tickets quickly and professionally.

What do you dislike?

I've been involved with Miva Merchant almost 10 years. When I first began working with their third-party module system (which uses their own scripting language), the documentation was sparse. This has improved since then.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use their forums. Even if you don't post there, you can still find a lot of good information from Miva itself and other users.

Shipping our product is deceptively complex, especially internationally. Due to regulations with carries such as FedEx and USPS, we have to integrate our business rules with theirs.

The Miva Support team has integrated us with payment options and other 3rd party services to boost sales. Examples are Amazon Payments and Google Trusted Stores. For GTS, the Miva developer came up with a solution for us to ensure that Google's requirements in the integration was met.

We recently (within the past year) launched a new website design as the previous was definitely showing its age. Miva's team built a new design and worked with us throughout the entire testing, launch, and post-launch phases. They've solved numerous problems for us, including iPhone specific issues with each iOS upgrade and browser compatibility.

Miva review by Charl B.
Charl B.

"Look no further than Miva!"

What do you like best?

Impossible to write everything we liked best. Let's just say we love everything about Miva. Miva has allowed us to streamline processes and provide a simple, flexible, easy to use platform for all users. Every single person, from start to finish, is filled with insight and constantly finding creative ways to make our vision a reality.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike about the Miva family.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go with Miva!

We had a number of issues growing from a small business which limited what we could accomplish using our existing platform. Miva has allowed us to continue to grow and facilitate anything that comes our way. To keep customers happy when they see a site where they are no longer aggravated with how clumsy it is. Being able to offer our wholesale markets a B2B platform and to streamlining processes on the back end are HUGE!

Miva review by Samantha D.
Samantha D.

"Fully featured, enterprise level eCommerce Platform"

What do you like best?

Miva's support team makes it possible to do almost anything with the platform - integrate with almost any other software or service and add almost any feature that you can think of. Their VIP support is available 24/7 for any issues that might arise. Their staff is knowledgeable in all levels of ecommerce from conversion best practices to high-level scalability. For a medium-sized to large business, they can make it possible to compete at an enterprise level.

What do you dislike?

It definitely is pricey and may not be super cost effective for a very small or low volume business. If you do not have a high level of coding skills, making dramatic changes to the interface yourself could be challenging.

Miva helped us complete a thorough integration with our ERP software and our website, which other vendors failed at doing. They were able to manage our projects from start to finish and stay on time and on budget, which we have also had issues with from other vendors.

Miva review by Darren P.
Darren P.

"Most Feature Rich and Flexible Shopping Cart Available"

What do you like best?

I have been using Miva Merchant for 17 years, both as a consultant and end-user. In that time Miva has continued to bring new features to the platform. What I like the most about it though is the flexibility and control. Not only does it have extensive templates for complete control of every page, but it's own scripting language that is virtually unlimited. This is not a one-size-fits all, but a robust platform that scales with your business.

What do you dislike?

All this flexibility and control does come at a price. But if you are a real business, that is to be expected. That said, if you are just starting out, they have much lower plans to fit your budget. One thing I would like to see is better site search built-in. We use a third party for our site search now, which adds to our monthly expenses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are other shopping carts that may be lower cost, but will not grow with you and will not be as flexible as you will most likely come to find out as you build your store.

We have several retail stores as well as a b2b with restricted access, different price levels, etc. I have built numerous sites for other clients all with different requirements and Miva has fit the bill every time. I have sites with anywhere from 20 products all the way up to 200,000 products, and it handles them all.

Miva review by Tom S.
Tom S.

"☆☆☆☆☆ Miva.com has by far the best e-commerce there is anywhere"

What do you like best?

The savings and the rollouts from Miva on their e-commerce platform are the best. Whatever your mind can dream up Miva can help you achieve it through Miva.com e-commerce. The most secure and productive e-commerce platform available to mankind.

What do you dislike?

not a darn thing- everything about Miva works

Recommendations to others considering the product

invite me out again !!

If you are considering an e-commerce platform ground up - to Enterprise Level; Miva E-commerce hosting platform, design development capability, and the utmost in 24 hour Technical Support- look no further- Miva.com has by far the best e-commerce there is anywhere.

Miva review by Desiree S.
Desiree S.

"The best E-Commerce platform out there!"

What do you like best?

Innovative shopping cart features, amazing developers, customer support that is TRULY available when needed, a fast and stable platform that works nearly without fail! Our experience has been exceptional from the start. We love the flexibility of design and functionality and have used both the fully free-form site design with Miva designers as well as the Ready Theme templates for two of our websites.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. Really. They have thought of everything and if it isn't in play right now, then it will be in the next release!

Miva helps us get our products up and sold with little to no fuss. Integration with our accounting software has been resolved, CRM is handled. Using the Miva platform allows us to focus on running our business instead of building and maintaining the websites.

Miva review by Bill P.
Bill P.

"Miva helps us put a Fortune 500 face out to the world. Well done!"

What do you like best?

We are not new to eCommerce as we have been doing it since 1997. Miva has brought us into the realm that most of our giant competitors are in, and helps us look like we have full time developers on staff.

While our website (www.perrets.com) is certainly "open to the public" at retail our primary use is B2B. Our B2B customers expect and actually require custom portals for their buyers to interact with us. When our B2B customers login, they see what appears to be a completely different, customized site showing their specific products, special contracted pricing, any terms they may have, and even their company logo that shows the user that they are in the "right place".

Miva has us looking just like, no-Better!, than the "big boys".

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike. Miva is a serious tool.

I would recommend to anyone that is serious about their e commerce.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Miva is robust. There is a learning curve as there is with most software, but there is plenty of support available both online and directly from Miva.

Miva also produces Youtube tutorials on a myriad of subjects that are very helpful.

In the past we would actually build a separate website for each of our B2B customers. This was very tedious and repetitive. Now Miva allows us to do it all in one place, and it is completely integrated with our POS and Inventory Control software. So orders flow directly into our system every 3 minutes so no re-keying by our staff is necessary.

The anti-carding tools are also exceptional!

Miva review by Aziz A.
Aziz A.

"www.goldpalace.com has been with Miva since 1998"

What do you like best?

Miva has been in the ecommerce shopping cart since the very beginning in the era of online shopping, it is a very detailed shopping cart, with very robust and extensive features that are consistently sturdy in their application

What do you dislike?

The Miva shopping cart is easy and very stable to use compared to other options available today in the market, so there is not much to dislike about this platform

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great shopping cart, that you would not outgrow in many years to come because they consistently keep on upgrading the software as and when newer technologies surface and the web keeps evolving

Miva has excellent support, if and when you require it.

Miva review by Bonnie R.
Bonnie R.

"MIVA is easy to use ecommerce platform that is continues to exceed my expectations"

What do you like best?

The support is best of class. I have found MIVA support to be responsive and helpful in all situations. The forums are a wealth of information and way to exchange ideas. If I cant find an answer on the forum, I will post a question and generally will have an answer to my question either from development or another participant in a short period of time. I am very impressed by the responsiveness of the MIVA Team.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, MIVA has continued to meet and exceed my expectations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out the Ready Themes.

I am working on upgrading to the latest MIVA Ready Themes. WIth the instructional videos and posts from the forum, I feel I can tackle this in a short period of time. This will give my website a new, fresh look with minimal effort of my part due to the free themes that are available through MIVA.

Miva review by Dylan B.
Dylan B.

"Miva continues to get better and better, and we grow along with them"

What do you like best?

Miva have worked very hard to ensure their administration interface is user friendly and quick to navigate. When I think of the improvements over the 10 years that I've used Miva, it is spectacular to see how far they've come in this area.

What do you dislike?

I'd like Miva to provide more control over search functions within their admin. interface. It would be nice to filter out redundant pages/categories/products that we may not want to see in search results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend thinking about how much control you want over your online store. If you're just planning on being a "me-too" then Miva is likely overkill for your needs. Ironically Miva is also perfect for such a venture as their ReadyThemes could have a basic functional e-commerce store operational in mere days.

Miva have provided us with the tools to make our small family business competitive. We've transformed from a start-up in 2006 to a two-store high end retailer with sales in the many millions. I truly believe Miva has been a big part of allowing for this to happen.

Miva review by Caleb S.
Caleb S.

"Fast, Powerful, Feature Rich....and Great Customer Service"

What do you like best?

This platform is backed by MySQL and utilizes a template-based, modular, compiled architecture. What does all that mean? It means that this platform SCALES. We tried some of the competition and found that although they worked great when the catalog had a few products, as we added more products and more modules and more features the entire site got slower and slower. But we have never had this problem with our Miva sites (which we currently operate 7). Some of our sites have 10K+ products on them and it does not run considerably slower than our sites that have a few dozen products.

What do you dislike?

Compared to other platforms, this solution may not be cost effective for your business if it is small. It's also worth noting that the platform is proprietary, so there might be obstacles if you want to create a development environment.

We were looking for a platform that would allow our business to grow even whenever we changed directions a few times. Miva is easy to change using it's template system (it's like writing HTML). But for the more adventurous, you can actually write modules to extend the functionality of Miva (note: We do this very rarelty these days because there is so much build into Miva 9+ like coupons and variations). Miva (and their hosting partner formerly known as Hostasaurus) has been great about making sure that our servers run well and stay updated. If we ever have a problem, we know that we can turn to Miva and they will help us out.

Miva review by Virginia Rae S.
Virginia Rae S.

"MIVA has the best Functionality and Flexibility"

What do you like best?

With minimal coding experience, we can customize MIVA to meet our specific needs. The Help Desk personnel are outstanding and they have always reacted quickly and their help is invaluable. There are so many programs that integrate with MIVA that we can expand capabilities for little or no extra investment.

What do you dislike?

We have not found much to dislike about MIVA. The Help Desk is always there to answer questions if we get stuck. If I were to ask for additions, it would be in the area of Reports. It would be nice to have expanded reporting capabilities without having to export data to other solutions (QuickBooks, T-Hub, Excel).

Recommendations to others considering the product

MIVA is one of the best companies I have worked with. The software is good and the support is excellent.

We switched from Volusion because we needed more customization and the ability to change more on the fly. We have found MIVA to be a much better fit for us because there is nothing we can't do. MIVA has very few limitations. I never have to say "No, we can't do that" Now I can say "Yes we can, how long and what's your budget?" We have increased our sales dramatically by utilizing Attributes and improving SEO.

Miva review by De I.
De I.

"MIVA is Stable, Reliable, Flexible and Looks Great on all Platforms and Browsers!"

What do you like best?

I have been a MIVA developer for over 16 years. I love this platform and have recommended it to the majority of my eCommerce customers. In most cases 90% of the functionality my customers need is built in and included at no additional fee. When we implement a tricky feature - there is almost always a module that address that need. And when we are building a feature that is not included and no module exists, we build our own modules for added functionality. But my favorite MIVA feature of all is the seamless streaming upgrades between versions. I have never had a client's site go down due to an upgrade.

What do you dislike?

Can shipping configuration for real time rates ever be easy? Although painful, if done correctly, MIVA's real time shipping integrations are spot on accurate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a solid company with a dedicated staff. It's nice to be able to have a real relationship with the developers, some of whom have been with MIVA since the 90s... I can't say that about any other eCommerce provider.

We specialize in workflow automation. MIVA has given us the ability to streamline our customer's eCommerce and order processing and fulfillment procedures so they can spend their time creating new products and growing their businesses.

Miva review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Expensive and one of the worst back end systems I have ever used"

What do you like best?

Honestly, I did not like anything about the Miva Platform. If you are looking at Miva, you should compare it t custom development projects. It will cost you an arm and a leg to get a website that looks like a simple Shopify template that you can achieve. It was one of the reasons I left a position at a good company because I thought working on the Miva platform would hurt my career in the long run.

What do you dislike?

- An awful back-end that made it impossible to work efficiently when uploading products.

- Ridiculous charges for development...if you want to make a change you have to pay one of their developers to do it.

- Rarely got a result based upon your requests for development

- Way behind its competitor platforms when it comes to innovation

Recommendations to others considering the product

By using the Miva platform you are marrying their development team and they will struggle to stay current with your competitors. The design results were not on par with what other platforms are able to do. It will also cost you an arm and leg to customize the platform to meet your business needs.

I did not find one

Miva review by Administrator in Real Estate
Administrator in Real Estate

"Powerful program, but license changes convinced me to move on."

What do you like best?

Customization of each type of page in the store made this a very powerful program. Virtually anything is possible if you are willing to learn to code.

What do you dislike?

It's very difficult to change the site appearance as each page must be edited manually. Use of short codes makes it a bit easier, but it's hard to manage these without inventing your own system. The cost of using Miva increased when they started charging per active user and costs also went up. "Lifetime licenses" were made obsolete with the new pricing policies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know HTML/CSS and be willing to learn Miva's language..... or hire an expert to maintain and manage it for you.

Was an excellent ecommerce platform that allows for incredible customization. We were able to create features that were impossible with similar priced programs at the time. Since then, others have caught up to Miva yet maintained their lower price model pricing Miva out of the market.

Miva review by Steve H.
Steve H.

"Miva product and support best in class"

What do you like best?

Miva Suppport has consistently been responsive and effective through my tenure as a client. No matter what type or level of coomplexity, Miva has proven itself over and over again. There has been no downtime EVER when using Miva as a hosting company, and their Miva Merchant software continues to grow and offer wonderful options, the most recent being Digital Downloads, a tremendous advantage for my small business.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike about my Miva experience!

Recommendations to others considering the product

The user interface makes it easy to customize anything. There are a number of Miva specialists that can work within your store back-end if you are not conversant with the Miva Merchant language and protocols.

1. Custom email invoices are easy to configure.

2. Digital downloads has been the biggest boon to my business since starting with Miva. I was able to discontinue two other services that were supporting this needed feature.

3. Reliability of the merchant software is amazing.

4. I was able to add Amazon payments which has been a very popular payment method,

Miva review by Administrator in Computer Networking
Administrator in Computer Networking

"Robust e-commerce Platform -Good reliability and excellent service"

What do you like best?

They are very quick to reply when you have an issue and follow up until the issue is closed. The platform is very customization friendly and allows for one to modify almost everything. Constantly being updated and the interface is not hard to use.

What do you dislike?

They repriced several years ago making this a much more expensive solution. So compared to many other solutions for smaller websites this one can be pricey.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you understand pricing and if you just want cookie cutter site for e-commerce other options may be better cost, but if you need flexibility and customization then use Miva.

Manage an online store that requires personalization and custom basket flows.

Miva review by Stephen M L.
Stephen M L.

"We have been in love with Miva Merchant since version 1.x"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that if you know simple html and css you can basically create any website you can draw up or imagine. In this day and age you need a cutting edge Mobile User Interface and Miva includes it in their software at NO ADDITIONAL charge to the customer. They also provide in depth How To Tutorials on each of its features and then take it further by providing support on their user forums. These dedicated support personal will answer most questions at no charge to the customer. I also love the fact that they are constantly upgrading the Miva Merchant software with cutting edge features and user requests.

What do you dislike?

All the MORONS out there WHINING about Miva's recent price increase!!! The CEO of Miva, Rick Wilson, made it ABUNDANTLY clear during the recent price increase that ALL CUSTOMERS could openly approach him if they thought the price increase was to drastic and he would work with them on finding a middle ground. Instead they decided to whine and post false reviews on the quality of Miva.

I DID NOT LIKE THE PRICE INCREASE MYSELF so what did I do??? I e-mailed Rick and within an hour had a middle ground price that was more than reasonable and affordable for my company. That's what I call GREAT CUSTOMER Service.

Now what do I dislike about Miva Merchant itself? I guess it would be that Miva does not have a built in cart abandonment feature built in. I have tried 3rd Party Software and all of them are really lame.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're serious about growing your small online business then Miva Merchant is the e-commerce software you're looking for.

With Miva constantly evolving their e-commerce software I don't have to worry about shopping around and trying to find a better product. Some will disagree but, personally I think Miva is head and shoulders above the competition in the e-commerce game. My loyalty to Miva since version 1.x should be a testament to that fact.

Add in Miva's GREAT customer service and willingness to work with their customers on pricing and in my opinion there is not a better e-commerce solution out there!!!

Miva review by Bob A.
Bob A.

"Excellent Shopping Cart, Top Flight Technology & very Reactive to Customer's Needs "

What do you like best?

Very responsive team to work with. They really listen to our needs and recently created a brand new custom web site for our BedBathHome.com that gives us our own unique brand and speaks to our customer. They have a good blend of seasoned professionals and young talent that will keep your business on top of the curve. Our new site with MIVA is fully scalable to any device and we have seen our mobile transactions growing exponentially. In that you can host your web site through their Hostasaurus solution it becomes a one stop shop and it simplifies everything. .

What do you dislike?

Our custom site functions well and looks awesome but Google organic ranking and SEO optimization is always a challenge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if your looking for a uniquely designed web site that funcitons well and can compete with the big players I would highly recommend MIVA. We have been on the platform since 1997 and MIVA has grown with us as we have expanded. We also have 11 brick and mortor stores and now our web business is a vital component to the overall picture.

We sell in a highly competitive niche, home textiles, but we are gaining traction and our sales continue to increase. Miva features like Amazon Payments Advanced Integration that allows you to accept a customer's Amazon credentials while staying within your own checkout. The PayPal Payments Pro integration is also seamless and easy from administrative stand point. Additionally features are easily added through modules that then can be customized such as customer product reviews. Connection to third party partner programs like Shipworks for example, which streamline shipping and help manage customer communications.

Miva review by Michael F.
Michael F.

"I love MIVA"

What do you like best?

We have been with MIVA for over 12 years. We have found the platform to be stable, efficient and priced within our budget. As a small boutique store we do not have high volume sales and a lot of money to spend on development. We really rely on a company that provides a good product a fair price.

What I like best about MIVA is their excellent customer support. I have NEVER had a bad experience with customer support. Every agent I have worked with had bent over backwards to help me. I have not ever had to call with a function of MIVA not working, but rather on helping me install, configure, modify or add a feature.

This level of customer service is rare in today's marketplace.

What do you dislike?

While above I mentioned that the pricing is fair, I am hoping it stays fair and reasonable for small shops. The developer fee is a little over my budget. I was hoping to have 'tabs' added to my product pages but the cost was too high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will enjoy working with MIVA!

MIVA's ready theme upgrade has really helped us to stay competitive with the ability to reach mobile and tablet users - this was huge for us. Built in coupons and other features means not having to spend additional money on 3rd party modules.

Miva review by Steve S.
Steve S.

"Outrageous Price Increase"

What do you like best?

I have been using Miva Merchant for over a dozen years and find that their support is about the best there is. Answers to questions whether over the phone or via email are answered promptly and professionally. Rarely if ever do I have to contact more than once to have an issue solved.

What do you dislike?

In the past Miva always nickeled and dimed with extra costs. Extra seats, extra for modules that were built in to other shopping carts, etc. In November of last year the price increased for us from $59.00 to $249.00 per month. For a small business that does a little over $100,000 per year the price increase made it impossible to stay with Miva. We loved Miva but were force to switch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have HTML skill and are not a newbie this is a very good product.

As first a developer of ecommerce stores for others who used Miva Merchant exclusively, I always felt that Miva Merchant was the right product for our clients. We were able to tailor it to their needs. In 2011 we started our own ecommerce site using Miva Merchant and it worked flawlessly. Now as our business has grown substantially we are finding that there are other shopping carts that can do the job with all features that we require being built in to the system and are more cost effective.

Miva review by Carlos R.
Carlos R.

"Anything is Possible with Miva"

What do you like best?

I like the cost of the software platform service the best. It does not eat into our margins. Also, I like how Miva as a platform has grown and evolved over the years. The performance and community of Miva users is very responsive and collaborative.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes software updates take longer than expected, but that is common in the IT industry. However, when they release a new build of the software, it is always well documented, supported, and painless to upgrade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just because Miva is a cheap service, do not underestimate its power. Plug into the Miva community when you need help, and you will be hooked!

Major problems that Miva helps us solve are importing products, exporting feeds, and capturing sales. I have realized that the features that Miva has far outweighs the cost of the software service. Many other ecommerce platforms do not have the attention to ecommerce details that Miva works tirelessly on.

Miva review by Ryan H.
Ryan H.

"Robust platform with complete customization "

What do you like best?

Limitless customization. This has been an enormous benefit to us since we sell perishable products with a very specific and nuanced shipping schedule. We've been able to integrate seamlessly with our fulfillment center for 100% automation of order fulfillment, as well as services such a Listrak for our email marketing program.

What do you dislike?

The reporting offerings could use some work. As an online-only business originally, we've strived to maximize our return on every penny spent. This requires us to look very granularly at all website data, conversion rates, customer lifetime values, sales data, bounce rates, etc. Miva's reporting tools and functions are not very intuitive or easy to use for managers who want data quickly to be able to make decisions. Historically, we've either had to have custom reports built or spend a tremendous amount of time creating and organizing data in spread sheets to get info that should take minutes.

We're filling a gap in the consumer packaged good natural food space where people are seeking better-for-you foods that are created with high level of transparency. We've been able to bring a product to market that is superior in nourishment, quality and flavor than any of it's dozens of predecessors and/or current competitors.

Miva review by User

"Miva Ecommerce Platform"

What do you like best?

The Miva platform is very flexible and easy to work with. Has all the features we need and the future looks bright. So far its seems to be very reliable and secure.

What do you dislike?

If using their internal design services, I felt the speed in which they got stuff done was on the slow side. Sometimes the communication was lacking between our company and their project manager.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can't go wrong with Miva and if you do, really spend time planning everything out before you start development.

Miva integrates with our Netsuite ERP system which has solved a lot of headaches.

Miva review by Rebecca K.
Rebecca K.

"A Painless Go-Live"

What do you like best?

The Miva Team we worked with pre-launch and post-launch has really kept us on task and communicated needs/expectations very well. We have 100% confidence in Nick, Morgan, Ann and Brianna!

What do you dislike?

filters/facets don't work for our products

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to other users and partners, ask for repeated demos, attend a user-conference.

Responsive design. Seamless live inventory updates, web/ERP and marketing email integrations. Better reporting at our fingertips. Up-to-date design. Simple and easy user navigation, account creation, and checkout.

Miva review by Scott A.
Scott A.

"Still Changing Platforms/But I Wish Them The Best"

What do you like best?

VP Anthony reached out directly despite knowing we are moving platforms. It really shows that some of the upper echelons of the company still want to have the pulse of whats going on.

What do you dislike?

I was not a fan of their backend but to each their own.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Miva was not for me and for anyone else I would say just do you due diligence when selecting an E-commerce platform.

N/A

Miva review by Cameron W.
Cameron W.

"Best e-commerce platform and support. Period!"

What do you like best?

There's so many things I like about Miva the company, and Miva Merchant the product.

Technical Support: Miva's support team is awesome! When I call in, I immediately get a person. When I create a support ticket, I usually get a response within a day. They also have a very active forum where you can also find help or get tips or news.

The Miva Merchant software is equally amazing.

Fast: Because Miva is written in MivaScript and it's compiled, a Miva Merchant storefront loads quickly. Other shopping cart software I've used in the past, or recently reviewed, is written in php or some other non-compiled language, so it's not so quick to load in your browser.

Flexible: I've used several e-commerce systems over my now 20 years of building websites, and Miva Merchant is the most flexible I've seen. I've never had a Miva developer turn a request of mine down because it couldn't be done. I can't say that about other e-commerce platforms.

Search engine friendly: Viewing the source code a default Miva Merchant theme, it's search engine friendly out of the box. It doesn't have a bunch of unnecessary JavaScript or css in the header, like other e-commerce systems do.

Themes: Miva, Inc. has built some themes that are ready for use. They range from very simple in design to fully-loaded designs. And they're FREE! The themes are easy to install and customize.

Features: I've never seen a more flexibly set of features in a shopping cart software. When I say Miva Merchant comes with 'coupons', that's not doing the software justice. You can do a lot with Miva Merchant's coupons feature.

More: The folks at Miva, Inc. are constantly working on new features. I always looks forward to what they're working on next.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I dislike about Miva. Sorry. I've been staring at this box trying to think of something.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stop wasting time and money with other e-commerce platforms. The sooner you jump to Miva, the sooner you website will be better.

A recent set of problems Miva has solved for a client of mine:

A particular clients previous site was slow to load, was not flexible, was stuck thinking within the previous systems limited set of options. Every time my client asked me to do something with their old e-commerce system, I had to tell him I couldn't or it would cost thousands of dollars.

Miva review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Excellent product, great service"

What do you like best?

I'm new to eCommerce and am supporting a new customer with an existing store. I've been able to figure out how to do updates, make corrections and handle the tasks requested of me by leveraging Miva's documentation. This is a fairly intuitive product with excellent documentation. The one time I couldn't figure out an issue I had a response from tech support within ONE HOUR. Amazing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes things feel disjointed when figuring out a fix, but I eventually get there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Help documentation and support services are excellent. That's half the battle when implementing new software!

Able to make local merchandise available to global fans (of a Hawaii entertainer/musician)

Miva review by Administrator

"Miva Shopping Cart review from HansonEllis.com (15 year customer)"

What do you like best?

I switched at least 2 dozen times using other hosting services when I started HansonEllis.com until I found Miva in 2001. I have been with Miva for about 15 years and never switched again. It is very stable compared to other hosting services. If you wish to make a big investment, I suggest you go with a hosting company that is stable. Don't bother reading those tech magazines that list top 10 hosting companies. I think their advertising dollars got them there. Just because you have the most clients doesn't mean you are the best. I went through a few top 10 hosting companies from several different magazines and had many issues with all of them. The most important and trusted reviews are from the customers.

What do you dislike?

I think it is a little more complicated than other shopping cart services I used in the past. If you never set up a shopping cart before or new to e-commerce, it will take some time to learn. You need to do a lot of custom work to make your site look nice. Many of the modules you get from other shopping carts are free but Miva charges you for it. Their professional services are not cheap. I just paid to have custom work done for my website and it was expensive. I feel that they should give you at least 3 free hours if you sign up on their starter plan. However, if you are on their half or full dedicated server, they should at least give you a free 1 hour per month. 15 years ago, the professional service was free. David Hubbard never charged me a penny to do anything. I guess it goes with the time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test their service on the dev. miva site before you decide. You should be able to set this up on your own. If not, then ask tech support to set you up and see if you like it.

The benefit is Miva support. They have a great group of people working in the tech department 24/7. All of them are pretty amazing people.The president Rick Wilson will reach out to you as well if you have any major issues. They are constantly hiring tech support. Just make sure you are talking to someone well trained. It will save you a lot of time. I rank them a 10 only because I can't find another service meets all my needs. However, expect to pay more. If you have a growing business and/or getting tons of traffic, then it's worth spending the extra money.

Miva review by Administrator in Health, Wellness and Fitness
Administrator in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Best E-Commerce I've used, and I've used several.."

What do you like best?

Stability, and if it does have a problem the Tech Support is excellent. They are usually on it quickly.

What do you dislike?

A while back they limited the seats for accessing the admin to 1 for about a year, that was a hard year for me. Being Dyslexic I need 2 sessions open to work. I understand but not all of us are what big business calls small, were just mom and pop or 1-2 people trying to get somewhere. We don't have the funds for more than what is currently charged.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It works, it's stable and between support community and Tech Support it is hard to go wrong.

Having an easy to navigate e-commerce. Growth, but need more!

Miva review by Administrator

"We have been their customer for over 15 years."

What do you like best?

Miva merchant has the capability for a business to grow within the same platform. They have an excellent in-house design and development team so a company does not need to outsource.

What do you dislike?

They are growing and experiencing strain in technical support. A support ticket could take some time to be addressed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the Miva platform in its fullness, its ability to grow with your business, customization possibilities, and in-house design and development team.

We are an e-commerce company like Amazon though in a smaller scale. We have to present ourselves as an excellent provider of high fidelity audio products and supplies. We compete with marketplaces as well as with other audio equipment suppliers. With Miva, we have a custom website that is top-tier with features and functionalities that are top of its class.

Miva review by Consultant

"MIVA Review"

What do you like best?

Easy to use interface. Ability to customer layout and apply 3rd party modules.

What do you dislike?

New pricing structure does not make it an ideal platform based on company size.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pricing structure is problematic. The inability to use a different hosting company is a big problem. Also, having a dedicated server but then not having a pull cpanel to access needs to be fixed.

Reduced call times with customers and creating easier shopping experience for customers who prefer to shop online while still using a print catalog.

Miva review by Andrew C. M.
Andrew C. M.

"A Terrific Software with an Eye to the Future"

What do you like best?

Miva has terrific support. Their representatives have gone above and beyond to help my company meet our unusual product-building needs. When you can easily contact the CEO of the company (Rick Wilson) and ask for guidance, that's a good company. We have used Miva for 12 years and have been thrilled with the advancements made in the product.

Miva's a great product backed up by a great company.

What do you dislike?

This is not a completely "point-and-click" solution. But our needs are not "point-and-click" needs either.

Full support of complete customer purchase cycle from sale to shipping to back-end, we have been able to cut our excess data entry greatly and increase our communication with our customers as to the status of their orders.

"A Long Time User"

What do you like best?

Great support and a team that really cares about our companies happiness and growth.

A platform that is easy enough to get started with, but robust enough to do whatever we need.

Good 3rd party support and modules available.

What do you dislike?

Reporting feels slightly clunky.

Full product imports from a flat file could have more error checking to be less risky. Feels like I click and pray a lot.

We use MIVA as our eCommerce platform to sell Jeep parts that we manufacture to consumers.

Miva review by Brian M.
Brian M.

"Miva keeps evolving and getting better"

What do you like best?

I'd say I like a couple things best about Miva. First, I very much appreciate the new ReadyTheme templates and everything else in Miva 9. My wife's little business has had a Miva backend and shopping cart since 2006 and considering the small scale of the operation it has been great to move to the ReadyTheme and update the site to mobile friendly & responsive while maintaining the SEO she's built up over the years.

The second aspect of Miva that keeps me satisfied is the excellent 24/7 customer service. My wife's store is a side project so being able to contact technical customer service on the weekends has been perfect. Commonly I immediately speak with a representative- sometimes I wait 10-15 minutes. This is a huge plus for me. They are friendly, knowledgable and patient. Big shoutout!

What do you dislike?

Not too keen on the increases in fees over the years. This last one was hard to take. But again, with the full suite template, hosting and backend I suppose it is worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Speak with their representatives and determine the level of service you and that they will provide.

I recently moved the site from a static set of pages with a store underneath to a Miva only site. I added content pages inside the store. The new content management system works very well and has virtually eliminated the need for developers to help out. That has been a huge benefit.

I intend on integrating with my Amazon store in a few weeks so that should be wonderful if it works as marketed.

Miva review by Patrick D.
Patrick D.

"Robust and constantly developing but also increasingly expensive"

What do you like best?

I have been with Miva for +12 years, starting with version 4 over 5 and now on the new version 9. In the early days Miva relied heavy on 3rd party modules which was a great way to customize a site's structure to specific needs. Much of that functionality has found its way into the core product, although not always as it should be, and the product is constantly improving.

Setting up a store yourself is possible but not recommended unless you are coder-head. Miva has top notch developers and great support to create really good looking and well functioning ecommerce sites.

What do you dislike?

Here we go :-)

These guys live in San Diego and it shows. Much like New Yorkers and those silicon folks from the valley, dollar value seems to have a different meaning. Added functionality to the site like blog, mobile and various other items are pitched at prices far out of reach for us not living in the bubble and $150 hour for developer time .. guys ...seriously?

I also dislike the new extra admin seat system at $50 a pop, as I understand it even to use their own Syncro module to push data between Quickbooks and Miva. Feels like nickle and diming to me. On the other hand I do see the need for Miva to stay healthy and in business but it needs to be within reason. As an online merchant, I am increasingly sensitive to the multiple hands constantly in my pockets.

Trying to stay afloat in an ever increasingly competitive world where the likes of Amazon erode margins and pull everyone in a negative down spiral to low quality wallmart level.

Miva review by Administrator

"Super platform with allot of flexibility and great assistance from the Miva team."

What do you like best?

I like the amount of flexibility that the platform has, with the help of the Miva team we have customized the Miva platform to work specifically for my business which is very complex. The Miva team is always available to assist us with anything we wish to do or create.

What do you dislike?

Although I understand the complexity of my site I wish that the costs were less.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have seen allot of my peers in the same industry endlessly struggle with other platforms. My experience with Miva has been relatively seamless and I feel they have allot more foresight then other platforms.

How to run both a wholesale and retail business with a very dynamic and complex inventory system.

Miva review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Great Product & Company. High Performance Solution"

What do you like best?

I like the functionality and ability to easily incorporate 3rd party solutions into their platform.

What do you dislike?

The main drawback is learning their custom page and flow setups, but that is simply a matter that must be done with every solution out there in the market.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know your needs up front to make sure you don't run into any unexpected pitfalls down the road. The software and cart is pretty robust but understanding your custom needs will help to make a smooth upgrade or transition

We were unable to upgrade our sites previously with the older version cart software. The upgrade to Miva 9 has allowed us to integrate with many custom add-ins and built-ins on the software.

Miva review by User in Security and Investigations
User in Security and Investigations

"Great Product with Great Support"

What do you like best?

The Miva platform is highly flexible. My company has very unique business needs and Miva has been able to consistently deliver over the past 12 years. The software is also highly scalable - as we have grown over the past twelve years they have been able to accommodate seamlessly. Their support has been stellar - always timely, consistent and makes sure your issue gets solved.

What do you dislike?

Although the module library is growing the lack of third-party plugins or modules can lead to custom integrations or API work. The great news is Miva's ability/flexibility to integrate with almost any partner never limits working with any third-party software or platform.

Miva is consistently looking to improve their product and evolve the software. This is critical to any business transacting online. The market requires all e-tailors to be on the cutting-edge of e-commerce technology and Miva helps us drastically offset the cost of having to develop these features on our own.

Miva review by Bob T.
Bob T.

"Miva - A Real Solution for Real Businesses"

What do you like best?

Miva excels as getting the things that matter right: (1) The shopping cart functionality is more than adequate for our business; (2) Up time and security are outstanding; (3) Support is very good most of the time.

What do you dislike?

Miva has many third-party add-ons that are very helpful in extending the product's capabilities and are generally reliable . When problems arise, dealing with Miva Support and the third-parties can be frustrating

Miva 9 was a disappointment in my opinion. The changes to Miva's administrative interface were cosmetic and made things more difficult in many cases. To their credit, our conversion to Miva 9 was flawless.

I had a very bad experience with Miva's professional services and would not recommend them. Fortunately there are many other service providers; So, this is not a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Choose Miva for for quality and reliability - not glitz

We are an internet-based thread seller and have been using Miva since 2005. It lets us focus on buying and selling thread and not worry about the complex infrastructure that runs our site. No marriage is perfect, but this one is a keeper.

Miva review by Edward B.
Edward B.

"Miva Marvelous!"

What do you like best?

So many options for websites, doing homework is endless to find the one you can trust. As a brick and mortar shop owner, I started with Miva many years ago, and have remained loyal, because they have been true to their word! Miva 9 is amazing. The admin is great, easy to use and performs more functions than I use, but growth potential for me is great. The hosting sites , dotcomhost is fantastic. Their support with Miva is superior. Never has a problem pushed back to the other to be resolved. They work as a team! Need upgrades because you can't do it (like me) or not the time, they have listed partners who are tested knowledgeable about Miva. An e-commerce site is never better.

What do you dislike?

My lack of artistic ability, and a limited budget! Ah, money can solve a myrid of problems!!

Recommendations to others considering the product

e commerce folks are abundant, all promising success, at your expense. Miva all but pays you to get your store running.

Web presence, increasing sales, and PCI compliant, mobile function, Reliable, trustworthy. NOt a fly by night, assured my web site will be operating at peak, 24/7

The forum is also fantastic learning and problemi solving tool, for beginners in code, like myself or for the extremely advanced.

Miva review by Michael G.
Michael G.

"Great support!"

What do you like best?

I love the fact you can call them during the evening and they answer within 1 minute. This really helps when your working on your site all night long! Awesome support!

What do you dislike?

I don't like that their relationship with ups forces me to pay for a third party software to use usps and fedex

Price is a bit

But I'm really sick of cheap price and crummy service so I'll pay for better with miva

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great support

U get what you pay for

I've been updating my website

Miva is our legacy provider

Miva review by David H.
David H.

"Have had only good experiences so far, since year 2000 when we started"

What do you like best?

I'm not a Miva apologist, but I will give my honest review. The Technical Support I've received gets a grade of 99/100. Also, honestly, I have not used any other merchant platforms, other than Amazon and eBay selling (and dabbled around with Wix and the like). I guess that says something in itself. I haven't had any need to change. Maybe I'm missing out on something else out there, but I haven't had any problems with Miva.

I haven't had any billing issues, either, although I have a relatively small store and simple implementation here. Haven't had any problems with modules and Miva updates. I like the new interface in version 9.

As you can see, I'm happy with Miva.

What do you dislike?

When you view a Product in your Catalog in Miva Admin, you have to go back two pages to get back to the Product List/Catalog. When you go back, your previous search has been cleared. Most of the time, I am performing multiple searches on similarly labeled products, so I wish it retained my search after viewing a product's information. It's really a pain to have to retype every time.

You really need to add a good builtin Shopping Cart Abandonment analysis capability. The plugin that's available is not very good, in my opinion. Abandoned Shopping Carts are one of a merchant's primary concerns with regard to shopping carts. You really should add something to help us with this.

There are probably other things, but can't think of any at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I guess "Explore all your options." Due diligence. Read reviews. Miva has been good to us.

We publish books, newsletters and courses in electronic and print form. Miva has been simple to use and has carried us along well.

Miva review by Debra Rucker C.
Debra Rucker C.

"Miva for shopping for sun-inspired architectural services and house plans"

What do you like best?

Hassle free with quick support! Our web developer recommended Miva over 10 years ago when we moved from a simple to complex web site - selling just a few house plans to over a 100 now. Miva makes it easy for us to add various house plan products on our own once the basic framework was set up in user-friendly method. We can even add architectural services for our clients throughout the U.S. and Canada. Not having to spend the time creating invoices for our simple services helps us keep our administrative fees down.

What do you dislike?

I have to pay more per month for using an old version of Miva. (our web developer is now doing other things and we know how to use the older version ourselves)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If hiring a web developer, look for one that has used Miva before.

We are selling architectural house plans on-line. Having a shopping cart makes transaction easy in the U.S. and Canada.

Miva review by Rose B.
Rose B.

"Administration and usability of Miva Merchant."

What do you like best?

Security, first and foremost. The software was written with security in mind to protect customers and business owners alike. As the software has grown and evolved, the features have become more rich and more of what the industry is asking for. In the e-commerce world, security is a must in order to remain in business.

What do you dislike?

Server side requirements that are less common than others. Miva Merchant has requirements as does any cart, part of their security is in their ability to further push and modify the underlying, but this does add to administrative overhead.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a learning curve with any new system. I find this software well backed and documented with superior support and technical teams to back it up.

Secure shopping cart meeting industry standards.

Less time spent managing the cart and more time managing the store itself.

The ability to have multiple stores "mall" with a change of license and configurations.

An upgrade system that keeps my store and site up to date and running in tip top condition.

Miva review by Administrator in Entertainment
Administrator in Entertainment

"Best Ecommerce Platform for Developers"

What do you like best?

If you are a developer or a designer with some HTML knowledge, I highly recommend Miva Merchant. It's super robust and effective to manage small to very large stores. I did find I needed some HTML dev knowledge to customize it fully -- although templates are available to meet basic needs -- and we did purchase some additional, third-party extensions to meet all of our needs, but overall, a very solid platform.

What do you dislike?

That we had to purchase some extra extensions. UI is not so friendly. There is a learning curve to learn it plus some HTML knowledge is needed to fully customize.

Selling online

Miva review by Ryan E.
Ryan E.

"Excellent Platform for Scalability and Support"

What do you like best?

My company has been using Miva Merchant as our primary e-commerce platform since 2009. We've been through many production releases, patches, migrations, development, and a major merger, and Miva has made it all as painless as possible. The service and support is top notch.

What do you dislike?

The only gripe I've ever had with this platform is the use of third-party modules. Unlike Apple, Miva still seems to allow a lot of "un-vetted" modules to be installed within the platform, even if you were to purchase it from their app store. Because of this, my company makes sure to use modules from specific developers that we know offer and support superior applications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need an honest company with superior and prompt customer service, robust hosting solutions, and a slick, feature-rich, and highly customizable platform, Miva Merchant exceeds in all categories.

Useability for our customer is always our top priority. Miva provides an excellent platform for customization which we utilize to give our customers the best experience we can when they are ordering from us.

Miva review by Jim C.
Jim C.

"Constantly evolving shopping cart system with great tech support!"

What do you like best?

I have been using Miva for over 10 years with 2 stores and I have had a great experience. The platform is constantly evolving and incorporating new features with the latest technology and security in mind. The tech support is excellent . I manage the stores myself and when I run into issues that are over my head, the Miva staff and community is always there to help. I would recommend Miva to anyone looking for a full featured shopping cart solution at a reasonable cost.

What do you dislike?

Miva has recently changed it's licensing model, which I am not a huge fan of. To be fair though, price increases are a normal part of doing business and Miva it is still an exceptional value for the cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework and you will understand the value the Miva offers.

The Miva platform is responsible for handling all of our ecommerce needs from both a retail aspect and also business to business.

Miva review by Peter B.
Peter B.

"Miva is flexible and powerful, it can drive a simple or a large complex e commerce site"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and fast. We regularly are updating our large e commerce site which is driven by Miva 9. We started with Miva 4 and have upgraded easily and seamlessly twice. From time to time we need technical help whichis rapid and complete. The technical help team are excellent

What do you dislike?

No one likes change so the upgrade of the admin interface took some getting used to. But we are there and it fine

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get some professional help when you are starting

For a low cost, Miva 9 drives our business. We are an online store with a large number of products. Organizing them and keeping them up to date is a great benefit. The Miva templates provide some very powerful customizing features

Miva review by Chris G.
Chris G.

"Longevity Counts: Why Miva has been our reliable partner since 2001"

What do you like best?

We switched to Miva in 2001, and have been with them for 14 years. Their outstanding longevity has been a real plus for us. Here's why: We started with our first cart in 1996 or 1997, and after having spent 6 months loading up data, it was discontinued. And it was backed by a fortune 1000 company! Our second cart was Merchandizer, and it started running into trouble with the collapse of the first dot com bubble in late 2000. So we switched over to Miva in 2001, and they have been a reliable partner for us ever since. There is nothing more time wasting and business soul sapping then switching shopping carts, and Miva's longevity and consistency in features, support and just plain being there has contributed to our eCommerce success today.

What do you dislike?

There has been a recent price alignment with the roll out of Miva 9, so we will be paying more this year than in previous years. No one likes to have their costs go up. But in my mind, it is a very reasonable increase. Look, what I want with ANY of our important vendor partners is for them to be there next year. I need them healthy and vibrant, because I don't want to go through another data loading cycle ever again. If they added features even faster, then I would even pay them more!

Recommendations to others considering the product

In addition to a top notch professional services staff, Miva has a vibrant community of third party developers and web site integration specialists. This has been true resource for us over the past 14 years. And their community forum is strong and gives great feedback to other users as well as Miva itself. Miva isn't perfect, no software company is. But they will fix their problems, and they have great support. Look, the real test of a company isn't the problems they may have, it is how they handle the problems. We have found Miva to be a class act.

The recent Miva 9 upgrade has been a long time coming, but I believe it was worth the wait. The whole admin has been overhauled, and many new features have been added. Our search engine ranking has gone up since the overhaul because we have more tools in Miva 9 to tweak. Our site traffic can really spike during our peak periods, and Miva handles that with ease. Miva's technical support is outstanding, and our up time is phenomenal. We can get to a Miva admin even in the middle of the night!

Miva review by Administrator in Fishery
Administrator in Fishery

"Outdated, Complicate and Expensive"

What do you like best?

What do I like best? Probably nothing. It really has nothing that would make me jump for joy and exclaim it to be special to Miiva. Everything is has is standard for around 8 years now, but if you are expecting new age and modern functions of a modern ecommerce site then you are at the wrong place.

What do you dislike?

It is outdated in almost every way. The first thing that drives me completely crazy about it is how it treats your online inventory like a brick and mortar store. If someone adds an item into their cart then you have to wait for the cart to expire so you can delete it and add the item back into your inventory. Makes it very annoying to sell off the last few units of inventory and there is no way around it as it is a core function of miva. It has no way to reward customers and no effective referral program. Typing everything including your terms of service requires an understanding of html since everything has to be done in html. If you want to ask the miva techs themselves for help with programing or anything then be prepared to receive absolutely insane quotes from them. We paid $8000 to build our site and miva quoted us $13,000 do slightly re-do our checkout page's aesthetics. Everything about this platform is completely non-automated that it added an ungodly amount of labor hours just to get basic things done that be had in a shoddy woocommerce site.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you plan on having a future for your online store then do not use Miva.

I'm trying to create an effective online store. I have realized that miva is the wrong place to do it and that shopify rocks!

Miva review by André L.
André L.

"MIVA does excellent job in Europe"

What do you like best?

Excellent support and hosting. Miles better service than European counterparts. Great responsive design templates. Excellent design support with MIVA Design. Not to talk about ease of use. I manage the store while traveling. And it is so easy to make upgrades and design changes.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. The higher price did not scare us.

MIVA helps us to attract both younger and older customer. And keep both segments engaged. We target the mobile generation that is also on the move and are using crossplattforms to buy. And we managed to get good Google ranking thanks to responsive design and SEO improvements in the new MIVA.

Miva review by Greg P.
Greg P.

"Evolving with our Business and Technology"

What do you like best?

There's a couple things I really like about Miva. I like that Miva is constantly evolving and progressing with technology, while taking their clients with them. It's pretty cool to see how far the company has come since we stated using Miva back in 1999. The Miva shopping cart has not only scaled with the millions in growth over the years, they've also been able to continuously keep our site up to date as technology advances. I also really enjoy working with the Miva staff. They are professional, personable, and knowledgeable.

What do you dislike?

If I had to dislike anything thing - at times there's short delay in getting projects started. The BTO Sports website has thousands of pages, so there's a constant work load. The good news is that the Miva has taken a proactive approach to this issue and has started to hire new developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be honest, and tell them what you want. Miva is an honest company and makes it their mission to meet their client's goals. The more you communicate your needs to them, the better your outcome will be. One cool thing to note is that Miva's employees are pretty savvy. At times they exceed our initial goals.

Currently, we're working on optimizing our mobile site. After we moved the website to a responsive model back in 2013, we've noticed a significant increase in our revenue and ecommerce conversion rate on mobile devices. In lieu of recent reports, we've noticed mobile sales have surpassed desktop sales in certain PLA accounts. BTO is using Miva and their developers to help BTO create an even more powerful mobile site to take advantage of the recent trends.

Miva review by Ryan S.
Ryan S.

"Be Very Careful about Choosing Miva for your Business"

What do you like best?

Our company has used Miva Merchant for 12 years. We have had an enormous amount of growth from this platform as Miva is very easy to use for small businesses that do not have an IT department. If you are selling under a 1 Million a year, Miva software is very good for beginning eCommerce applications. The GUI is easy to use and flexible for most applications. I was able to get my web site started with minimal HTML capabilities and as the company grew, we were able to do much more.

What do you dislike?

Miva Software is very good. Miva billing practices are highly unethical. We are in the process of leaving Miva Merchant for Drupal as they have recently started billed our company for $350 in fines PER MONTH because it is not practical for our company to upgrade from Miva 5.5 (which is actually version 8) to Miva 9 during the busy holiday season. Under Miva 9, we are only allowed to have one IT manager logged in at a time, they are now selling “Seats” for $50/each to have more employees logged into the store. They incorrectly estimated we were using 7 “Seats” on the OLD license and proceeded to fine us for $50/each x 7 per month. We must continue to pay this fine until our Drupal commerce site is fully operational. Miva has us trapped for now, but we will be out of this unethical billing practice soon. I strongly suggest looking at alternative options if you are considering Miva Merchant. This is not the first time we have had billing issues. In the past, they were very accommodating because we have used their software for 12 years. Our company attorneys are considering a class-action suite against Miva Merchant as a review of their license agreement we are under does not include any form of “Seat” licensing fees. They claim they are entitled to the new fines under their “Price Increase” option in the license agreement. Other merchants have also complained of similar billing problems with refusal to refund, search Miva Reviews and you will find them. My advice: RUN!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unethical billing practices are forcing us away from Miva, we are moving to Drupal where we have no limitations and are free from having another company control our upgrade policy. My advice: RUN!

From a technical perspective, our IT department has problems working with and managing the data generated by Miva for use in other applications. 3rd party development is not as well supported as the Drupal platform. Additionally, unused shopping carts must be cleared weekly or our site WILL crash. There does not seem to be an automated way of clearing the unused carts. We use 3rd party modules, a serious source of concern for any version upgrade.

Miva review by Administrator in Cosmetics
Administrator in Cosmetics

"Very powerful, but complex system"

What do you like best?

Miva is unique in the way that they are truly different from all the other shopping carts out there. Using their own proprietary stack, they are quite customizable without all the headaches of Magento.

What do you dislike?

It's quite hard to fine-tune some aspects of Miva, especially when it comes to theming and design. It's definitely not as straight forward as Shopify's liquid language.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will need to seriously have some development help on your team to get this setup live.

We were hoping to port from Shopify in order to have more powerful features at a much better cost than Shopify Plus.

Miva review by William G.
William G.

"The Best of the Best"

What do you like best?

I have used many different e-commerce shopping carts from both the buyer side and the user side, and Miva is hands down the best, most configurable and easiest to use.

What do you dislike?

There are other options at a lower price point that are good to get started, but when it comes time to get serious - Miva is the go to.

Getting orders online.

Miva review by Diane M.
Diane M.

"Miva Review - Blue Rose Pottery"

What do you like best?

Personalized service and responsiveness to any issue anytime!

What do you dislike?

Nothing is an issue for us at this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very customer oriented organization - gets to know your particular business and help with constant improvement.

Incredible support - 24/7 - 7 days a week. I've needed help on Sunday morning and received immediate response!

Easy to use and maintain without being a technical genius.

Todays web businesses require constant improvement and keeping up to date with consumer needs. MIVA is constantly improving their product and also responds to each individual businesses needs.

Miva review by Pat "JoCool" L.
Pat "JoCool" L.

"Having tried them all"

What do you like best?

Miva is a powerhouse of tools and ability with a clean friendly interface. Even the Miva of ten years ago gave me more advantage than the "carts" offered today in competition.

What do you dislike?

There is so much you CAN do that one can get lost now and then. But a few clicks of exploration is all it takes to get it right.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The very small additional learning curve is time well spent. Having used so many systems over the decade I come back to Miva each time for a 'real' commerce development. If you expect your store to be at all successful .. Start here. It will be easier than realizing later that you must move due to lack of ability elsewhere.

Listing a lot of products .. Each one with 20 or more options is not an easy task. Miva option (attribute) templates automate this saving me silly amounts of time. The benefit of more time spent marketing is the result.

Miva review by Mario R.
Mario R.

"It meets all my customers needs in a beautiful and easy to use way "

What do you like best?

Ready themes are beautiful creating the shopping experience I want to provide my customers. Mobile ready easy check out. Always improving

What do you dislike?

I have been using Miva for 6 months I haven't found anything I don't like during this time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before choosing Miva I interacted with Shopify and Volusion. Only Miva was capable of providing the customization for my special needs. Take your time and work with their designers and developers you'll have a very rewarding experience.

Delivering freshly baked organic whole grain bread to customers across the country. Easy integration with modules that allow to ship with pleasure instead of the torture it was before Miva.

Miva review by Derek H.
Derek H.

"Infinitely customizable and scalable"

What do you like best?

Unlimited Custom Fields unlimited logic you can apply during the checkout process using the content of the custom fields.

What do you dislike?

Not moving to Miva sooner. We tried magento. Miva was a breath of fresh air.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great, easy to use and very flexible. Will grow with your business.

Multiple different customer types. Multiple different shipping Solutions. Multiple special requirements in check-out process regarding hazardous and non-hazardous materials; all handled with ease with the flexibility of the mva programming language. Challenging customer requirements can be addressed while maximising profit.

Miva review by Gerry F.
Gerry F.

"Miva has been a solid business partner."

What do you like best?

We have been with Miva ever since we built our online abrasives store about 12 years ago. Because our product line is different than most consumer products it take a different cart layout. For example, a 7" sanding disc comes in 8 different grits but they all look the same. The selection is best displayed in a simple list form rather than a bunch of thumbnails that all look the same. Because of this situation we have had to program the cart ourselves rather than using common templates.

When Miva 9 came out last year the prospect of rebuilding 120+ cart pages with the new cssui framework seemed daunting. I decided to give a go doing the programing myself. It was a little slow are first, but after a few calls to the helpful Miva support staff the process worked well with a good end result. We had to develop the "look & fee" ourselves as there were not templates. Miva gave us a development site to build the new cart, and was very helpful when the time came to replace the old cart with the new one.

Here is the end result: http://www.abrasives4sale.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=A&Screen=SFNT

What do you dislike?

There are no specific issues I dislike. Sometimes their response to support tickets could be a little faster. All in all no complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Attend one of their national or regional conferences where you will get valuable information on the Miva products.

In the industrial supply industry more small to medium customers are purchasing their supplies needs online. Having a strong presence has allowed us to participate in this transition.

Miva review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Incredible platform that gives you complete control with ease of learning"

What do you like best?

Miva offers such a powerful website platform that give us a tremendous amount of control and design capability. We can edit products with ease by uploading csv files with product descriptions, prices, weights for shipping and get the edits updated to our website in a matter of seconds once the file has been updated. From offering volume pricing discounts and complex product variants, Miva gives us the ability to sell our products to the market we want to hit.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that we dislike is the ability to get updated training videos, as the company recently upgraded their platform and the most recent platform training videos are still being built.

Invoicing and order processing has become automated via our new website. Reaching a larger market is also one of the benefits we did not have before.

Miva review by Sarah C.
Sarah C.

"Miva Merchant is really not user friendly."

What do you like best?

It has nice shopping cart components. I like that it keeps track of your inventory. That is very important for someone who has a lot of items to sell. Didn't see a good way to integrate online tickets for events through Miva Merchant.

What do you dislike?

I really disliked the difficulty to customize the templates in the Miva Merchant language. That was really hard to understand. I hate how they have the shipping set up, especially if you need to separate how different states shipping fees. There should be a module for Miva Merchant for that, especially since postal rates changes all the time and are based on weight now. Training the user on how to update their store was like a nightmare. If I can't understand it, they sure can't either.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would look at all your options first before deciding on what shopping site cms you would like to use. They all have their pros and cons. What works for one person may not work for someone else.

I realized that all shopping cart sites have their ups and downs. The most thing you have to factor in is how you are processing payments. I really like Stripe for processing payments. The benefit of keeping track of inventory is really awesome and something that all shopping site cms should have in their system.

Miva review by Tinker G.
Tinker G.

"Good value and easy to customize for our clients"

What do you like best?

Miva is highly customizable - while it doesn't have 'out of the box' templates, as a designer and developer we are able to 'dress it up' to any design we come up with for our clients. This way each store is unique.

There is a nice 'community' where users offer each other help and support when we are trying to figure something out.

There are also many 3rd party modules available that can provide additional features.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it lacks certain 'stock' features that many other shopping carts have 'built-in'. But usually there is either a way to customize the feature, or a 3rd party module that can be purchased to implement the feature. Over the last couple of years, there have been some great improvements in this area. The software has been upgraded to include some of these more in demand features.

The cost has increased quite a bit over the last several years making it a little less affordable for some of our smaller clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this software to an agency looking to provide an ecommerce solution to their clients. It is easy to customize and has a nice 'community' behind it.

It is not the best solution for the Do-It-Your-Selfer although Miva has started to implement some features to make this possible. It just isn't there yet.

This software has allowed us to provide our clients with a highly customizable solution to a shopping cart software at a fairly reasonable cost compared to other carts.

Miva review by Administrator in Industrial Automation
Administrator in Industrial Automation

"Priced for enterprises not mom and pop."

What do you like best?

Top shelf technical support yet not the fastest. In some cases it has been several days before they attempted to resolve a problem. My wife and I recently purchased an e-commerce site that used the Miva Merchant platform. The platform seems robust but our site is out of date and very user unfriendly. We are looking at a site refresh.

What do you dislike?

Miva actually does web development but they are very expensive. We had been given an estimate of 10 grand for a new site. That is out of the ball park for our struggling small business. We looked at many options and they were the most expensive. We were shocked that beginning November 1 our subscription will jump from 79,95 to 249.00. Their justification was that larger businesses are using the Small Business subscription and the plan is just not able to handle the memory and traffic needs. Even though we have been paying for additional memory and a development site. Give me a break! Miva is from Mars.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Weigh your costs before you make the plunge to develop with Miva. Depending on your kind of business you may need to pay a subscription for applications not available from Miva. It is not a one size fits all platform. Note: most developers will want to steer you away from Miva because they recognize the limitations. Although they do comment that Miva does have some beautiful code. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

Miva Merchant is a simple template style platform that is easy for anyone to maintain products and prices. I would consider staying with Miva if I didn't feel so taken advantage of.

Miva review by Mike R.