Modo

MODO is your starting point for creative exploration.

Work for Modo?

Learning about Modo?

Modo Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 47 Modo reviews
Modo review by <span>Ellery C.</span>
Ellery C.

Excellent tools for modeling and rendering

What do you like best?

The modeling tools are well thought out and implemented. The tool system is based on a a user-customizeable platform that allows for a lot of artist-end modification without a lot of work. The rendering system is also very good. With minimal effort will produce nice quality results and with a little work it can produce some of the best 3D renderings of any package currently available

What do you dislike?

Working with very large scenes can often be a bit difficult and I would like to see some future development in that area. Also, the dynamics and simulation options (especially fluids and liquid simulation) could be improved upon in order to really round out the package as a full featured all-in-one toolset.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the free trial and watch a few training videos. It is easy to pick up (as far as 3D software goes) the modeling tools are fantastic and the renderer produces great results right off the bat!

The modeling tools are fast, intuitive and adaptable. The flexible and powerful rendering engine makes it excellent for previsualization, ideation and photo-real rendering. I have used modo for a variety of projects including producta and architectural visualization, visual effects, and game design and for all all of the use ncases in modeling, texture and material design, lighting, and rendering it has been great.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Modo
Modo review by <span>Spenser W.</span>
Spenser W.

Good Modeling Software With A Great Built-In Renderer

What do you like best?

I love the action centers in Modo. All the modeling tools in Modo are great, but the action centers are really a game changer for modeling individual mesh items or different parts of a mesh. The modeling tools are definitely the best part of the software, with the built-in renderer a close second. It's a great ray tracing renderer that works well with Modo's shader tree, and allows for quick iteration. The program is known most for its modeling toolset, but has both animation and some simulation tools as well. Recently, new procedural modeling tools have also been introduced, making a more non-destructive workflow possible. For the most part, Modo is fairly easy to learn. Those with a basic knowledge of 3D should be able to get into it fairly easily, as the modeling tools are pretty straightforward in most instances, and there are plenty of resources for those who know nothing, any software will be difficult to learn, and rewarding to get to know well.

What do you dislike?

Modo's UI can get pretty cluttered, and it's a bit of a hassle getting to know all its quirks. However, once you learn it, it's very customizable. One other annoyance is that while the bevel tool works well in most cases, it's not the best in certain instances, and will give some poor results in some cases. Although they are very powerful, the falloff tools can be difficult to get to work correctly from time to time. Also, like most software packages, there are some longstanding bugs that haven't been fixed by the developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the resources of the tight knit Modo community. The forums are very helpful,

Modo allows me to model and iterate quickly, which allows for far more freedom than I would have with many other 3D software packages.

What 3D Modeling solution do you use?

Modo review by <span>Matthew B.</span>
Matthew B.

Effortless 3D Modelling and Texturing, and a great realistic renderer

What do you like best?

Modo offers one of the fastest WSIWYG 3D modellers on the market, the viewport is second to none for previewing a realistic rendered preview. New topology tools for scanned meshes, improved bezier and spline support, and a new nondestructive modelling stack bring Modo up to what many other applications offer for features and add to what has been an excellent tool in our workflow for years.

What do you dislike?

Modo is NOT my application of choice for end-to-end workflow. A static render in Modo looks great, but for animation and especially character driven and procedural dynamics (think XSI's ICE) there are toolsets on the market that offer not only greater power in those areas, but a workflow that will take you from start to finish without needing Modo. Modo's BIGGEST strength is its modelling with realistic preview, and this also one of its biggest limitations, Get outside of the tools on offer here and you'll find you will want to move your scene data into another application to get the results you're expecting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's incredibly easy to just download the demo version and get started with free training available, better yet if you have Lynda.com or Digitaltutors access you'll find a wealth of training material.

While it does integrate nicely with The Foundry's other products (Nuke etc), my workflow often encompasses products from other vendors like Autodesk (Maya, 3DSMax & Softimage), Side Effects (Houdini), Black Magic (Fusion & Resolve) and more, and I have to exchange data with professionals who use these other workflows all the time. So it will require some knowledge about how to properly prepare assets within Modo to move those assets and that data to other workflows.

Modo review by <span>William V.</span>
William V.

MODO for all-purpose 3D production

What do you like best?

MODO is my go to 3D software for all aspects of production. The modeling tools are by far the best Subdivision modeling tools available and the built-in renderer enables me to create beautiful renders quickly.

What do you dislike?

As a character artist, I love the rigging and animation tools MODO offers. That said, I'd love for the deformation engine to be updated to allow for multiple characters to be animated in a single scene.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download the trial and give it a test drive.

I use MODO for product visualization and love how easy it has been to get 50+ designers up to speed in the software in a short period of time.

Modo review by User in Design
User in Design

Modo Review

What do you like best?

Modo is a pretty straight forward 3D modeling program. I found it pretty easy to get started and once I learned the basics, the rest started coming very quickly.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot of dislikes. It's a very extensive program, so anything I would have complaints about, are probably due to my lack of knowledge. Seems I'm learning more all the time, so what I thought was an issue before, is actually something that has been addressed, but I just didn't know it yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great 3D modeling program! I don't have a ton of experience with others, but I thought this one was very easy to use based on some of the research I did on other modeling programs.

Mostly product designs and 3D package and product renders.

Modo review by <span>Lina P.</span>
Lina P.

Versatile 3D software

What do you like best?

What I really like about Modo is its flexibility. The software has a wide range of useful features that allows companies, freelances and students to work at any stage of the 3D process with any sort of purpose in a effortless and clear way. Features like modeling, texturing, sculpting, painting, rendering, baking, animation, effects and so on have been carefully developed through time to offer users one of the most comfortable and logical experience in 3D software.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when I am playing around with meshes, I would want to experiment and change the initial parameters I used at the beginning but I could not do that. What I do is to build some variations from scratch and then decide which one I like the most. It is not a big deal. However it would be better if Modo allowed me to change always every parameter at any stage of the process. It would definitely make me save so much time.

The most important problem I solved with Modo was the issue I had every time I would wanted to try a new 3D software. I needed to spend time and sometimes even money in tutorials to figure out how it works.

With Modo was different story. The software has one of the most friendly interface I have ever tried before. It allows new users to feel comfortable and learn how to used it easily.

Besides that, there is an ever-growing Modo community of professional and amateur people that use modo for different industries and with diverse purposes. This is an important benefit for ussers because that means a wide possibility to learn and to exchange assets handily.

Learning about Modo?

* We monitor all Modo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.