Monodevelop

MonoDevelop enables developers to quickly write desktop and web applications on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. It also makes it easy for developers to port .NET applications created with Visual Studio to Linux and Mac OS X maintaining a single code base for all platforms.

Work for Monodevelop?

Learning about Monodevelop?

Monodevelop Reviews

Ask Monodevelop a Question
Showing 19 Monodevelop reviews
Monodevelop review by <span>Killian H.</span>
Killian H.

"Simple and light IDE"

What do you like best?

It's a light platform that works on both linux and windows, which is great when everyone is not on the same OS. The best thing to me is the simplicity of its layout and the fact that is it super easy to link it with Unity. I coded only in C# with it and it was an overall good experience.

What do you dislike?

Now that Visual Studio Code is out, it is very hard for this kind of IDE to stay really attractive. So I would say the lack of features. Even if the integration with Unity is easy and all, there is still some issues and bugs with it and this could be improved .

Recommendations to others considering the product

Monodevelop isn't the huge IDE that comes with an incredible amount of built in features. It's simple and powerful, provide necessary tools and is adapted for special needs. Unity of course but also .NET applications.

I was using Monodevelop with Unity for game creation. I did a lot of scripting and Monodevelop provides some tools for that, which is pretty handy.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Monodevelop
Monodevelop review by <span>Jordan F.</span>
Jordan F.

"Monodevelop is a good tool with Unity"

What do you like best?

It's simplistic look and style are the keys of mono develop. It's short-keys to navigate around and is compatibility with unity are also a huge plus, especially if you are a game developer. Keep in mind, it's a lot nicer on your processor to use than visual studio or a few other IDE's out there.

What do you dislike?

There could be more features added to streamline mono develop. Features are missing that other IDE's like visual studio have. Some more customization of styling would be great as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look into Visual Studio for now. Their community addition is free and works just great for all .NET applications and more. If you need a more lightweight solution, stick with MonoDevelop.

I create applications using the .Net framework. It's been useful in creating applications like that. Sadly, I use visual studio more often than mono develop.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

Monodevelop review by <span>Daniel K.</span>
Daniel K.

"Quite reliable choice when you work on Linux"

What do you like best?

The best about Monodevelop is... that it actually works on Linux and lets you develop ASP.NET applications with C#. Debugging when process is running works fine. I had to downgrade to older version of Monodevelop so I could run server process to host my ASP.NET application and debug it, but overall experience wasn't bad. Monodevelop gives you somewhat similiar experience to Visual Studio with smart advices when you code and showing errors live.

What do you dislike?

Installation of more recent versions was bad experience. Also for my ASP.NET 4 MVC application to work I had to add MySQL provider entry to some global configuration file hidden somewhere on filesystem. There were also problems working with ASP.NET server and I had to switch to older version of Monodevelop so I could run and debug my application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you plan to work with latest ASP.NET then you can probably use any editor with addons or Visual Studio Code. I would recommend trying Visual Studio Code first, because it's faster and not so heavy editor. Also, it's supported by Microsoft which stands behind its technology.

Most of my experience with Monodevelop comes from creating and working with ASP.NET MVC 4 application from scratch. Requirement was that it will be hosted on Linux machine so I also had to make sure it works there. So I've chosen to develop this application wirh Mono and Monodevelop on Ubuntu operating system. Monodevelop was only application I've found working and letting me to do my work, but it involved dealing with lots of problems I've had to solve on my own, because web lacks information, articles, tutorials on how to deal with various problems. Some of my questions regarding Mono and Monodevelop still remain unanswered on stackoverflow.

Monodevelop review by <span>Aung Thu Rha H.</span>
Aung Thu Rha H.

"MonoDevelop: .Net IDE for non-Windows users"

What do you like best?

MonoDevelop is an IDE with common features that we can find in other IDE such as debugging, refactoring, auto-suggest and so on. It supports C# compiler and provides tools to run .Net applications on Linux and MacOS. Cross-platform availability is the main reason .Net developers are using MonoDevelop. That is also the reason I am using MonoDevelop since I am Linux user which have to enhance and maintain .Net applications sometimes. MonoDevelop is the perfect solution for me.

What do you dislike?

It's slow (well..even Visual Studio is slow on old PC) and sometimes, just crashed. The UI is not that intuitive but work fine and the Unity integration leads to many issues and debugger gives some unexpected errors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the only reliable solutions for developer to implement .Net applications on non-Windows OS. Also,there is no price tag invloved and it's worth to give a try for .Net developers.

It helps me to develop .Net applications at my Ubuntu PC. It's a good solution for occasional .Net developer.

Monodevelop review by <span>Sai Krishna Kubera G.</span>
Sai Krishna Kubera G.

"IDE with many features and integrations and great with stetic GUI."

What do you like best?

IDE with traditional features like code formatting, automatic code completion are all its inbuilt features. It is open source which helps for indepth coding. It has a gtk GUI designer i.e; stetic which is great to develop GTK+ user interface in c#. It supports many languages like c#,java,c,visual basic NET and manymore. I used C# in monodevelop IDE which is best with it. And other best part is while developing games in Unity software coding with C# can be done in monodevelop.

What do you dislike?

User interface is bit tough to get adjusted as a beginner for which some time is required to learn and then goahead with the tool. Sometimes hanginging that is too rare. But this is the best for game developers which is well integrated in unity.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Any Programmers who know C# programming this is the best tool for them according to my usage. Many other languages also suits with the tool.

Iam a game developer for which i was using unity software. As Monodevelop is integrated with unity i found it damn easy to code in C# with IDE which helped in lot ways to do correct and effecient code in a short time. Easy to debug my code as well.

Monodevelop review by User in Consumer Electronics
User in Consumer Electronics

"Good when it works. Frustrating when it doesn't"

What do you like best?

works great as a default editor for Unity. Is not a culture shock of an IDE unlike some others (when coming from Visual Studio).

What do you dislike?

Doesn't have nearly as many features as VS. Don't exactly like some of the macros. Some of the macros actually don't work if you change the default macros. Some of the formatting values are weird as well. We actually use VS Code and C# formatting to format scripts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Monodevelop is great for starting in Unity. if you have the opportunity to switch to a better IDE I would but if not Monodevelop will definitely be good enough and easy to use.

Using Monodevelop with Unity as the default editor. No need to have to install extra plugins to get it to work (when downloading from Unity).

Learning about Monodevelop?

* We monitor all Monodevelop reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.