Motion

Motion features a familiar interface that lets you easily create titles, transitions, and effects for Final Cut Pro.

Work for Motion?

Learning about Motion?

Compare Motion to Similar Solutions

Motion Reviews

Showing 15 Motion reviews
Motion review by <span>Vinicius R.</span>
Vinicius R.

Motion works pretty well but it is missing some key features.

What do you like best?

Apple Motion works pretty well with Final Cut Pro X, my mainly video edit software. Using both programs let me create great templates that makes my life way easier while editing. Another great point is that the interface looks a lot like FCPX, so it is very intuitive for professionals like me.

What do you dislike?

I fell Motions can bring some of the effects from Final Cut Pro, once I needed to recreate the "bad tv" effect since it just doesn't exist in Motion. Also I miss a lot some key features that I can find on After Effects, mainly for complex annimations. I know that there are some tolls for that but they are not intuitive. Another problem that I found using Motion was on sharing my projects: I couldn't find a way to let people with older versions of Final Cut Pro use my presets... I would love to see ways to export for any Final Cut Pro X version. Last but not least, some times while I am editing my templates on Final Cut, I find the app crashing, it cleary happen because of the file I created on Motion, but I can't figure out how to fix that; most of the times I find myself exporting twice to check if the second file will be out of crashes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My company just didn't switch to Motion, cause we still needing to use After Effects for some creations. But we would love to use just one software.

While working at HeyCheff I needed to create some video presentations of our products. At that time, Motion allowed me make some templates for titles and simple animations that I could use across all my campaing, it saved me time and I also could share it with my partners that were editing videos as well.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Motion
Motion review by <span>Troy F.</span>
Troy F.

Easiest to use for great motion graphics.

What do you like best?

Motion is by far the easiest software for making great motion graphics without a lot of fuss. It isn't quite as robust as After Effects, but it isn't trying to be. It is great at being a simple, easy to learn solution for motion graphics. Default settings are very simple and you have the option of diving much deeper as your needs/desired require.

What do you dislike?

The worst thing about Motion is that it often crashes. Since it's made by the same company that made the hardware and the operating system, I would expect the software to runs much more consistently than others in its class. Sadly, that isn't the case here.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It doesn't do everything that After Effects does right out of the box, but it meets most of my needs when it comes to simple animations such as splashes and logo animations.

Motion is so much more simple than After Effects, that it's my go-to application for quick, simple animations and transitions. The integration with Final Cut Pro X is quite well done. I love having the ability to edit an existing effect or transition and then use it in Final Cut.

What Video Effects solution do you use?

Motion review by <span>Michael A.</span>
Michael A.

Intuitive and powerful motion graphics software

What do you like best?

As an Apple product, Motion features a beautiful modern design that makes it easy to use and compliments many of the of the other Apple or or Adobe programs you would use it alongside. Updates over the years have improved functionality and added useful new features. I've been happy with how many great third party templates and stock graphics are available to use with Motion.

What do you dislike?

Layering can be tricky to figure out, as with all software of this nature. I have run into play back issues on videos with longer runtimes.

Motion is much cheaper than other alternatives for motion graphics but offers many of the same powerful tools so it saves us money.

Motion review by <span>Richard B.</span>
Richard B.

Perfect motion program for low to mid range projects for $50.

What do you like best?

The simplicity of the program, I understand that a lot of people hated it when Apple started breaking up the Studio apps, but for someone who occasionally needs motion tracking or chroma keying, it's a great program. Because it's now a self-contained application, it also allows me to use it without stopping work in other programs like FCP and its able to take advantage of more RAM and processing as a standalone program.

What do you dislike?

I do wish it was designed to work along side the other editing apps from Apple(Audacity, Final Cut, etc...), especially chroma keying because I'd love to not have export all the clips and just alter the source video with Motion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's extremely low price and ease of use make it something that anyone interested in getting into motion work should get. Even if you intend to eventually to much more advanced programs, having the basics learned through Motion gives you a great base to start from.

I'm moving into a lot of gimbal-stabilized filming and through the learning process of the new system, I can use motion to aid in stabilizing the footage in the mean time.

Motion review by <span>Joshua G.</span>
Joshua G.

Great program for the money

What do you like best?

Motion is an amazing product for $50. It is a pretty in depth motion graphics program. It does not have all the features of Adobe After Effects, but it works very well with Final Cut Pro X, even allowing you to make specific titles and effects that work directly with FCPX.

What do you dislike?

Motion does not have all the options that Adobe After Effects. It does not work extremely well with photoshop files, but does a decent job. I wish that it had the ease of use that After Effects when it comes to creating depth in animated photos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect it to do everything. You can do an awful lot with it, but there are times where it will come up short and you'll need to jump over into After Effects.

I use motion a lot to create titles, short animations and effects for videos that I ultimately edit in Final Cut Pro X. It's a really nice motion graphics companion for tasks that I need to execute quickly.

Motion review by <span>Arika S.</span>
Arika S.

Great for music lovers who want access to a wide variety of music

What do you like best?

I am able to download and listen to almost all the music in the iTunes catalog.

What do you dislike?

No dislikes for the most part besides cost.

able to put on playlists during shoots, for the mood of the shoot. Fun & energetic to romantic. Music helps lighten the mood and get people more comfortable, so it is great to have such a wide variety in my arsenal.

Learning about Motion?

* We monitor all Motion reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Motion to Similar Solutions