Motion

Motion features a familiar interface that lets you easily create titles, transitions, and effects for Final Cut Pro.

Work for Motion?

Learning about Motion?

Compare Motion to Similar Solutions

Motion Reviews

Showing 17 Motion reviews
Motion review by Vinicius R.
Vinicius R.

"Motion works pretty well but it is missing some key features."

What do you like best?

Apple Motion works pretty well with Final Cut Pro X, my mainly video edit software. Using both programs let me create great templates that makes my life way easier while editing. Another great point is that the interface looks a lot like FCPX, so it is very intuitive for professionals like me.

What do you dislike?

I fell Motions can bring some of the effects from Final Cut Pro, once I needed to recreate the "bad tv" effect since it just doesn't exist in Motion. Also I miss a lot some key features that I can find on After Effects, mainly for complex annimations. I know that there are some tolls for that but they are not intuitive. Another problem that I found using Motion was on sharing my projects: I couldn't find a way to let people with older versions of Final Cut Pro use my presets... I would love to see ways to export for any Final Cut Pro X version. Last but not least, some times while I am editing my templates on Final Cut, I find the app crashing, it cleary happen because of the file I created on Motion, but I can't figure out how to fix that; most of the times I find myself exporting twice to check if the second file will be out of crashes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My company just didn't switch to Motion, cause we still needing to use After Effects for some creations. But we would love to use just one software.

While working at HeyCheff I needed to create some video presentations of our products. At that time, Motion allowed me make some templates for titles and simple animations that I could use across all my campaing, it saved me time and I also could share it with my partners that were editing videos as well.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Motion
Motion review by Troy F.
Troy F.

"Easiest to use for great motion graphics."

What do you like best?

Motion is by far the easiest software for making great motion graphics without a lot of fuss. It isn't quite as robust as After Effects, but it isn't trying to be. It is great at being a simple, easy to learn solution for motion graphics. Default settings are very simple and you have the option of diving much deeper as your needs/desired require.

What do you dislike?

The worst thing about Motion is that it often crashes. Since it's made by the same company that made the hardware and the operating system, I would expect the software to runs much more consistently than others in its class. Sadly, that isn't the case here.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It doesn't do everything that After Effects does right out of the box, but it meets most of my needs when it comes to simple animations such as splashes and logo animations.

Motion is so much more simple than After Effects, that it's my go-to application for quick, simple animations and transitions. The integration with Final Cut Pro X is quite well done. I love having the ability to edit an existing effect or transition and then use it in Final Cut.

What Video Effects solution do you use?

Motion review by Michael A.
Michael A.

"Intuitive and powerful motion graphics software"

What do you like best?

As an Apple product, Motion features a beautiful modern design that makes it easy to use and compliments many of the of the other Apple or or Adobe programs you would use it alongside. Updates over the years have improved functionality and added useful new features. I've been happy with how many great third party templates and stock graphics are available to use with Motion.

What do you dislike?

Layering can be tricky to figure out, as with all software of this nature. I have run into play back issues on videos with longer runtimes.

Motion is much cheaper than other alternatives for motion graphics but offers many of the same powerful tools so it saves us money.

Motion review by Richard B.
Richard B.

"Perfect motion program for low to mid range projects for $50."

What do you like best?

The simplicity of the program, I understand that a lot of people hated it when Apple started breaking up the Studio apps, but for someone who occasionally needs motion tracking or chroma keying, it's a great program. Because it's now a self-contained application, it also allows me to use it without stopping work in other programs like FCP and its able to take advantage of more RAM and processing as a standalone program.

What do you dislike?

I do wish it was designed to work along side the other editing apps from Apple(Audacity, Final Cut, etc...), especially chroma keying because I'd love to not have export all the clips and just alter the source video with Motion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's extremely low price and ease of use make it something that anyone interested in getting into motion work should get. Even if you intend to eventually to much more advanced programs, having the basics learned through Motion gives you a great base to start from.

I'm moving into a lot of gimbal-stabilized filming and through the learning process of the new system, I can use motion to aid in stabilizing the footage in the mean time.

Motion review by Robert G.
Robert G.

"Motion is a apple program that everyone must try"

What do you like best?

after countless hours looking for a program that can fit our needs, motion is a great program that helps you create cool effects and GFX that can help your production quality tremendously

What do you dislike?

what I like about Motion is the price, I should be cheaper to use, and that the things are menus are hidden, so we can use it and really get good at the idea of having it in our arsenal

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend more templates for users, and more advanced tutorials

the benefits that help us is that, things are clear and content if you want to change something, its easy, and music that we like can all be played back to back giving us freedom to choose what ever we want

Motion review by Joshua G.
Joshua G.

"Great program for the money"

What do you like best?

Motion is an amazing product for $50. It is a pretty in depth motion graphics program. It does not have all the features of Adobe After Effects, but it works very well with Final Cut Pro X, even allowing you to make specific titles and effects that work directly with FCPX.

What do you dislike?

Motion does not have all the options that Adobe After Effects. It does not work extremely well with photoshop files, but does a decent job. I wish that it had the ease of use that After Effects when it comes to creating depth in animated photos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect it to do everything. You can do an awful lot with it, but there are times where it will come up short and you'll need to jump over into After Effects.

I use motion a lot to create titles, short animations and effects for videos that I ultimately edit in Final Cut Pro X. It's a really nice motion graphics companion for tasks that I need to execute quickly.

Motion review by Arika S.
Arika S.

"Great for music lovers who want access to a wide variety of music"

What do you like best?

I am able to download and listen to almost all the music in the iTunes catalog.

What do you dislike?

No dislikes for the most part besides cost.

able to put on playlists during shoots, for the mood of the shoot. Fun & energetic to romantic. Music helps lighten the mood and get people more comfortable, so it is great to have such a wide variety in my arsenal.

Motion review by Amanda L.
Amanda L.

"Great but not After Effects"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Motion 5 is the abiltiy to create Final Cut effects, transitions, titles, generators and more and apply them seemlessly, as well as creating custom titles for re-use in the FCP Titles Browser.. Additional content is pretty helpful, and the keyframe editor is a nice touch. The Rig function also help a lot!

What do you dislike?

As great as it is to create things for use in Final Cut, the cross integration isn't that great. It would be nice to be able to send a FCP sequence to Motion and send it back to FCP like the old days.

Easy to automate graphics, saving time

Motion review by John C.
John C.

"Classic Apple, easy to use but not hugely customized"

What do you like best?

Like all apple products, its very intuitive and has a very satisfying surface. The project templates it comes with are fairly impressive but mostly useless!

What do you dislike?

I was not sold on the opportunities to customise smaller parameters like you could with something like after effects

The templates you can get online for reasonable prices are decent but there are not many freebies unfortunately!

Motion review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"Great tool for title/intro creation"

What do you like best?

It's so easy to just jump right in and get to creating pretty impressive motion graphics with just a few clicks. And if you want to go deeper and make a more complex composition, you can do that too! The interface is great, as is expected from Apple. I love the templates they offer Out-of-the-box as well.

What do you dislike?

This is by no stretch a replacement for something like After Effects, but certainly a good tool to have in your kit.

I used this to create intros for short, in house, company presentations

Motion review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Motion is a software of progress"

What do you like best?

I like the how user friendly it is. Very easy to create, but could use some more bells and whistles

What do you dislike?

I don't like how the you don't have control over which window you can move to a second screen.

only the canvas and timing panel

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a tutorial and start learning. Pretty user friendly

Marketing communications. How quickly you can create a motion graphic

Motion review by User

"Simplicity"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use and has a lot of variations.

What do you dislike?

Everything is satisfactory when using motion.

It creates a platform to allow many cultures to express their various backgrounds.

Motion review by User in Design
User in Design

"apple motion not so great unless you use final cut pro"

What do you like best?

i like the 3d text treatments is can create which isn't available in after effect

What do you dislike?

it's very limited compared to after effects and not as user-friendly

the cost is less, which is a benefit if you actually use it

Motion review by User in Commercial Real Estate
User in Commercial Real Estate

"User "

What do you like best?

I like that you can preview files before adding them to a project

What do you dislike?

The files are viewable I’m too many locations once imported

Adds professionalism and creativity to normally dull presentations

Motion review by User in Higher Education

"progam coordinator"

What do you like best?

Simple to use even for beginners. Hassle free navigation of site

What do you dislike?

So far so good. I haven't been working with it long enough to find any issues just yet.

N/A

Motion review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"interesting and good collection"

What do you like best?

good collection and sound quality were the 2 top things

What do you dislike?

cumbersome to set-up, takes time and overall fees

just to get some free space

Motion review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Motion Review"

What do you like best?

Motion makes editing videos quick and easy

What do you dislike?

It is missing templates I prefer to use.

Advertising and marketing

Learning about Motion?

* We monitor all Motion reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Motion to Similar Solutions