Muck Rack

Muck Rack is a tool that enables user to tell story to the media by pitching journalists on story ideas, getting alerts when journalists mention your brand or keyword, and measuring the impact of PR efforts, journalists manage their online identity and track how their articles are shared.

Work for Muck Rack?

Learning about Muck Rack?

Muck Rack Reviews

Ask Muck Rack a Question
Showing 22 Muck Rack reviews
Muck Rack review by <span>Jasmine  L.</span>
Jasmine L.

"Best PR communications software"

What do you like best?

Amazing customer service! I switched over from Cision about a year ago, They made the transition seamless and the user experience of the platform is 10 times better. I've placed dozens of stories using this platform and I recommend it to all of my PR friends. I was not offered an incentive for this review. I just really love this platform.

What do you dislike?

Because the platform is newer, the database of journos isn't as expansive as cision or meltwater. But if I'm looking for someone specific, I use the chat feature and someone sends me a link to the reporters profile within minutes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the demo. You won't be disappointed. Also, reach out to their customer service team to learn how to build press lists intuitively.

I've connected with reporters who are interested in writing about my organization's issue. It's so easy to follow up with reporters based on articles they've already written using this platform.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Muck Rack
Muck Rack review by <span>Julie R.</span>
Julie R.

"Wonderful product; not the perfect fit for my needs"

What do you like best?

The user interface on the search was so easy to find and identify freelance journalists or contributors. I love that Muck Rack pulls from Twitter because let's be honest, Twitter and Linkedin get updated a lot faster than a media's website. I go to MuckRack when I have exhausted my google searching, have built a solid media list, and need additional ideas for pitching. It's great to see what reporters have written about (especially since many are freelancers and write for multiple outlets), and I love the feature where you can see who tweeted a specific article.

What do you dislike?

The database seemed to be heavy with reporters for biz and tech, which doesn't help me since I am usually looking for hyper-local writers and influencers. Additionally, I work with a lot of lifestyle writers, and lifestyle can mean so much - including design, interiors, products, food, theater, music, etc. I wish I were able to drill down into results a bit more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really loved this product and their sales team. I wish that their database had deeper insights into local reporters and media outlets, as well as those covering the vast beat of "lifestyle." I think businesses that are focused on tech or business would really benefit from using MuckRack.

Media database. It's great for additional research and finding freelancers who I have no worked with before. The media profiles provide a clear picture of a reporter's interests. I also love the fact that journalists seem to have a great respect for the platform.

What Media Monitoring solution do you use?

Muck Rack review by <span>Justin E.</span>
Justin E.

"Muck Rack Review"

What do you like best?

I appreciate software. The great thing about Muck Rack is that it allowed me to answer questions from a business plan in whether or not we should move towards replacing our UI. Thanks to Muck Rack we've been able to streamline and create automation unlike what we've normally been exposed to previously.

What do you dislike?

I feel that within the user interface there are certain functionalities that still need work. Maybe a drag and drop button to help populate the screen may be easier. However, overall the learning was pretty quick to navigate in onboarding.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Muck Rack is a game changer for having to answer tough questions on when and if the time is right to improve your UI

With Muck Rack development on our project afterward will be so much smoother and will open new doors as to what new things we can accomplish.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Incredibly usefool tool "

What do you like best?

Its easy to use and for the most part up to date on everything. I also like how you can reach out to journalists directly on the platform. It shows their biography, current social media properties, their current place of employment, as well as published articles. Another useful facet on the website is their direct links to their Twitter profiles. I use this a lot in my searches as it helps me connect directly with the author or journalist at the publication. They also have a handy compiling method where you can click all the articles you'll use and save them on your dashboard.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, in rare cases, author information is out of date. For example, I was using muckrack directly for a briefing, but the articles shown were older than the actual articles that we published on the site.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Muck Rack is a great tool for compiling research and quantifying the reach of your subjects. The key in using this service lies in relying on the provided author information. It makes list building far easier and quicker. Moreover, the website is easy to navigate and use so It's definitely easy to jump right in.

It makes my reporter searches and article compilations much quicker. I am able to zone in on specific outlets I want to look at, which root out lesser known publications that have a tendancy to be either less popular or less accurate. It cuts my research time in half.

Muck Rack review by User in Online Media
User in Online Media

"A great tool for assisting with outreach to journalists"

What do you like best?

I love that this software is based around Twitter. This gives you real time information to understand what journalists are talking about as well as seeing what they are sharing, what have they written, how they like to be pitched, etc. Journalist can also build a profile on Muckrack and upload articles they've written , and fill out a bio. There is also the capability to search by beat, publication (though not all publications are represented) as well as country. This is extremely useful when trying to connect with foreign media.

What do you dislike?

If a journalist you are trying to reach out to doesn't have a twitter page, or doesn't keep their twitter updated it won't help you. Also, not all publications are represented, I have also searched for several journalists' information (knowing definitively they work at said outlet) only to find no information.The other problem I have noticed is in exporting. Some times the tweets don't export you in the reports I create. That's really annoying. A few flaws but overall I would still highly recommend.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anyone who is in the midst of media list building, or monitors the media for brand mentions or needs to pitch the media on a story this is the software to use. You can build media lists here based off of search parameters, include tweets, email, etc in exports. If you save searches, you can opt to receive email updates on those searches.

It is a good cross referencing tool when using Cision.

Definitely worth the money. This has made media list building so much easier!!

Journalist outreach for pitching about specific non profit campaigns, as well as media monitoring of brand/campaign mentions. Media list building, and curating.

The benefit is seeing information in real time. Other software doesn't harness the timeliness of twitter.

It is also appreciated especially in the non profit space to be able to do searches around key words, or hashtags depending on what you are monitoring.

Another benefit is in using the who shared my link feature. You can see if any journalists are interacting with specific online content.

Muck Rack review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Timely PR Solution That Provides Broad Coverage and Alerts"

What do you like best?

I especially like the timely reviews of our brand name, as well as any relevant industries/categories that I input into my alerts. It's just about instant—much better than Google alerts.

What do you dislike?

Cost is quite high if you don't have a discount, but that said, there is no one PR solution that does it all. I use Muck Rack in combination with other tools.

With a limited PR budget, I find Muck Rack helpful for giving me instant insights into which highly-influential reporters are mentioning my brand, my leadership team, or news on my industry. This allows me to respond quickly.

Muck Rack review by <span>Kyle M.</span>
Kyle M.

"Muck Rack has changed the way we do our jobs - for the better!"

What do you like best?

Muck Rack's "coverage reports" and "who shared my link" tools help us track media hits and journalist engagement in ways that we weren't able to do before. It's given us access and insight to journalists who we didn't know covered our company.

What do you dislike?

I wish it included media outlets who shared our stories, instead of just journalists.

We're now able to reach journalists who weren't on our radar at first. Muck Rack has elevated how we do digital public relations and it's reshaping our media relations strategy.

Muck Rack review by <span>Karen S.</span>
Karen S.

"In depth information on journalists"

What do you like best?

You can see reporter information, latest articles, and tweets in a single dashboard making it easy to start your research.

What do you dislike?

The database is not quite as robust as Cision.

Researching outlets and reporters. It has saved me time by being able to access information in one place and vet for further research.

Muck Rack review by <span>Jenna S.</span>
Jenna S.

"Muckrack Rocks!"

What do you like best?

The extremely user-friendly platform makes finding media contacts a breeze.

What do you dislike?

Nothing!

Seeing what reporters are tweeting and being able to report shares on earned media coverage helps our company better serve our clients and report to them our successes!

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Good for Finding Freelancers and Contributors"

What do you like best?

It's good for searching for coordinators and freelancers covering a certain beat.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see more journalists and influencers included on the platform!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This shouldn't replace your media database, like Cision!

It assists with specific pitches that require a search for specific journalists - for pitches that wouldn't be picked up by regular staff writers. It helps keep a pulse on specific conversations!

Muck Rack review by <span>Sonnet S.</span>
Sonnet S.

"Simple and User Friendly"

What do you like best?

Layout of the journalist's clips -- it's chronological so it's easy to scroll through and see their work and history.

What do you dislike?

Boring HTML format. It looks sort of old.

Finding a reporter for our media lists; getting their contact info and work history; and it usually is a god send when the reporter doesn't have a good social media presence.

"Muck Rack review"

What do you like best?

I like that not only do they have the person's Twitter feed but they also give you recent articles they've written.

What do you dislike?

A lot of it you can only access with the paid subscription, which is understandable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test it out before going Pro to see if it can be implemented with other systems you already use.

It's helpful to quickly find reporters and their interests.

Muck Rack review by User

"Vice President at Edelman"

What do you like best?

Ability to see social profiles and who is covering based on a specific keyword

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the search results can be hard to narrow down and too broad, even with the keywords in place. Additionally broadcast producers are harder to track.

Finding the best reporters, sharing coverage with client in real time and having metrics in place.

Muck Rack review by <span>Andrea C.</span>
Andrea C.

"Helps me find the write journalists for a story"

What do you like best?

It gives me the information I need to make an informed decision.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes information is out of date, so it would be good if there was someone who was responsible for doing regular updates to the database.

Landing stories because I pitched the right journalists.

"Muck Rack Review"

What do you like best?

It just makes everything so easy. It offers a new design that is innovative in the features useful for monitoring the news

What do you dislike?

There were some confusing parts of the user interface, but it is not going to make me stop using the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it is worth using it. it may be hard to learn but the benefits are worth it.

it really helps get the full spectrum of the news and eliminate the bias that might come without using muck rack

Muck Rack review by User

"Good resource for PR Articles"

What do you like best?

Muck rack allows other journalists to publish, where I can find a lot of great resources

What do you dislike?

Have to watch for articles not up to standard and not source them

It’s a great resource for writing on various topics

"Great service"

What do you like best?

I like how media information is very easy to find.

What do you dislike?

I wish they pulled in print clips, but that's hard to find these days.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The database seems very up to date, and the customer service is great. We went through a trail period, but ended up choosing a service who could have a great database and clipping service.

Using MuckRack has helped me find journalists' contact information easily, along with recent articles which has been helpful.

Muck Rack review by Agency in Marketing and Advertising
Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Assistant Account Executive"

What do you like best?

Social feed details- outlet email algorithm

What do you dislike?

Does not sort coverage from recent to least recent- sorted on relevance

Recommendations to others considering the product

Comparable to CisionPoint's recent upgrade

Media intel, media preference of communication

Muck Rack review by User in Internet

"Very Useful"

What do you like best?

Amazingly responsive customer support that answers any questions, does any additional research you ask of them.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really but if I had to say, it would be that they don't really personally connect you with any journalists

MuckRack helped us pitch to so many reporters which ended up in 30+ hits in news papers.

Muck Rack review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Media List miracle worker"

What do you like best?

I love how easy to navigate it is and visually appealing the content comes up as

What do you dislike?

sometimes it doesn’t have all the info I need

Finding information on reporters I want to pitch. It has saved me tons of time from having to do my own research

Muck Rack review by User in Internet

"Muck Rack Rocks"

What do you like best?

The team, product speed, efficiency. Excellent product and far better than competitors.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I love the team, the product, its service, all of it.

Making contacts and tracking metrics

Muck Rack review by User

"Great tool to support media relations best practices"

What do you like best?

Seems the most up-to-date and accurate as compared to other services

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the search isn't as intuitive as I would hope, but still effective.

Improves efficiency

Learning about Muck Rack?

* We monitor all Muck Rack reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.