MyPaint

Fast and easy open-source graphics application for digital painters.

Work for MyPaint?

Learning about MyPaint?

MyPaint Reviews

Showing 30 MyPaint reviews
MyPaint review by <span>Luan A.</span>
Luan A.

"MyPaint Review"

What do you like best?

It`s lightweight, has native stabilization, a wide selection of brushes, you can use both "Line and Curves" and "Inking" to create line art, cheap drawing tablet works fine.

What do you dislike?

Undo feature needs a little more improvement, when selecting brushes sometimes the GUI glitches and you can't draw until you press ESC, rapid motions with drawing tablet create sharp lines instead of smooth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MyPaint is the perfect solution for those who are running on a tight budget since it's free. After a few minutes, you'll start to get used to the hotkeys and to configure the brushes to suit your tastes. You can use a drawing tablet, and thanks to the advanced options for lines, you can easily use a mouse. And since MyPaint is open-source, your feedback will be valuable and necessary to make MyPaint a better tool.

I use MyPaint for small projects where I don't need to too many details and to sketch. MyPaint has an incredible pencil brush, and I love to use.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about MyPaint
MyPaint review by <span>Isabela N.</span>
Isabela N.

"MyPaint Review"

What do you like best?

Large selection of brushes and pencils, native stabilization, Lines and Curves tool works fantastic with a mouse; you can preview in real time the Pressure Variation for Lines and Curves, the GUI doesn't take unnecessary space.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when I try to change the brush using the bottom right corner while using a drawing tablet, I can't interact with the program until I press a key, usually ESC.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since it's free, you should give a try. If you have experience with others software of this type, you will need some time to get used to the hotkeys and how to use/configure the brushes.

I use MyPaint to creat line art when I don't have a drawing tablet avaliable.

What Drawing solution do you use?

MyPaint review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Not easy to find a credible download for Mac OS"

What do you like best?

This is a very simple product that children can use. It's easier to use than Adobe products, and actually has more options as far as brush strokes, sizes, types of media.

What do you dislike?

This is an open-source platform so in order to install it you need to know what you're doing. It's also constantly being changed via Github, and is difficult to find a download version via mac, although you can figure it out watching install videos via Youtube. Here's a good one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQeiVDpg9gw

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a bit tricky evaluating this software because, as I said, it's meant more for a child, so when asked whether or not it "meets requirements" my answer is based half on what I think and half on what my son thinks. Also regarding ease of use, the software itself is easy to use, but as mentioned the installation, especially for mac users is quite difficult - or rather a very long process.

I've only used this software with my son who is 7. He loves any screens, like most 7 year olds, but this program allows him to be creative as well. He uses it on a Samsung Galaxy Notebook, and it's perfect for that format.

MyPaint review by User

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

Very nice when it comes to draw and paint very simple and light application. You can get a great speed while working on it although you face a little lag one of the other time that is considrable after all you are payeing a very less amount

What do you dislike?

I like it very much and I recommend this to others. In layer switch there is a lag which I personally do not like.Old interface was not that good but now I see lot of improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want cost effective good product I will recomend this to you.

It saves money and very cost effective in comparison to Coral software. There are few problems with few brushes but I hope they will be resolved very soon

MyPaint review by <span>Nicole D.</span>
Nicole D.

"MyPaint is Awesome!!!"

What do you like best?

I love MyPaint. It gives me the freedom to create art as I want. It has a large brush collection that is just like using pencils, paint, ink, and/or charcoal, which are the standards. It also allows you to make new, expressive brushes that are better than the norm.

What do you dislike?

The is really nothing I dislike about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and see if you like it first. Also try other paint applications to determine which would be a better fit for your company.

With MyPaint, I’m able to draft my own business cards, letterheads, flyers, and anything else that I may use graphics for, to my own specific wants. It is very easy to use.

MyPaint review by <span>Michaela B.</span>
Michaela B.

"Great OpenSource Program with Quirks"

What do you like best?

In the past, this program was a fantastic, simple way to draw or paint, offering a simple and responsive interface without the hassle of other features that would go mostly unused. The application didn't seem as heavy as Photoshop or Sketchbook Pro.

I still use an older version because it runs great and doesn't hog my system's resources.

What do you dislike?

Recent updates (for Windows) have been plagued with serious lag issues, making it difficult to use. The brushes need a little polishing up and refinement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before considering MyPaint, you will need to consider the pros and cons.

Pros:

The application can be a light drawing program that won't hog system resources (especially older versions).

The program is free and regularly updated.

Cons:

The program is originally created with Linux users in mind and it shows. Issues on Windows are slow to be repaired.

This program is a free alternative to Sketchbook Pro or Corel Draw, saving money and allowing my keep up my workflow. The program has some technical issues, lagging at random points. Some of the brushes seem to be grainy or unrefined. MyPaint is originally created with Linux users in mind and it shows. Issues on Windows are slow to be repaired. As a non-Linux user, I have had to deal with slow updates and glitches.

Learning about MyPaint?

* We monitor all MyPaint reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.