MyPaint

4.0

Fast and easy open-source graphics application for digital painters.

Work for MyPaint?

Learning about MyPaint?

MyPaint Reviews

Showing 31 MyPaint reviews
MyPaint review by Jorge L.
Jorge L.

"Open source graphics editor for digital painters focused on painting and not manipulating images."

What do you like best?

This application has a custom procedure brushing motor optimized for use with pressure sensitive graphic tablets.

Among the capabilities of MyPaint are:

Graphic tablet support sensitive to pressure.

Dynamic library of brushes, independent for integration in third-party applications.

Extensible.

Layer management

Simple interface

Gamut masks the color wheel.

Canvas "Unlimited" that does not require the predetermination of the size of the image. In addition, you can hide the entire graphical interface, and focus all your attention on the drawing, without getting distracted by unnecessary or complex buttons or palettes.

What do you dislike?

It is a software that has very little popularity since microsoft window includes the paint. Although it has a multilayer system and it is better we can say that it is not considered as a useful tool, since it is not a professional solution for editing and modifying images.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product is very good in the process of layer editing, it is also easy to use and has new applications that are very powerful, it is important to note that you can share the designs on the network and burn them in a format other than the one recommended by MyPaint, example Can be stored with JPG extension.

Making images editing and generating them in layers to be able to show only what they ask me to see in the design of the element, this helps me preserve a bit of privacy in my designs. made a mechanical piece by capable and its respective cutting then I could send it by mail in JPG format that makes it lighter and it is possible to open it with any image editor.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about MyPaint
MyPaint review by Luan A.
Luan A.

"MyPaint Review"

What do you like best?

It`s lightweight, has native stabilization, a wide selection of brushes, you can use both "Line and Curves" and "Inking" to create line art, cheap drawing tablet works fine.

What do you dislike?

Undo feature needs a little more improvement, when selecting brushes sometimes the GUI glitches and you can't draw until you press ESC, rapid motions with drawing tablet create sharp lines instead of smooth.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MyPaint is the perfect solution for those who are running on a tight budget since it's free. After a few minutes, you'll start to get used to the hotkeys and to configure the brushes to suit your tastes. You can use a drawing tablet, and thanks to the advanced options for lines, you can easily use a mouse. And since MyPaint is open-source, your feedback will be valuable and necessary to make MyPaint a better tool.

I use MyPaint for small projects where I don't need to too many details and to sketch. MyPaint has an incredible pencil brush, and I love to use.

What Drawing solution do you use?

MyPaint review by Isabela N.
Isabela N.

"MyPaint Review"

What do you like best?

Large selection of brushes and pencils, native stabilization, Lines and Curves tool works fantastic with a mouse; you can preview in real time the Pressure Variation for Lines and Curves, the GUI doesn't take unnecessary space.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when I try to change the brush using the bottom right corner while using a drawing tablet, I can't interact with the program until I press a key, usually ESC.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since it's free, you should give a try. If you have experience with others software of this type, you will need some time to get used to the hotkeys and how to use/configure the brushes.

I use MyPaint to creat line art when I don't have a drawing tablet avaliable.

MyPaint review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Not easy to find a credible download for Mac OS"

What do you like best?

This is a very simple product that children can use. It's easier to use than Adobe products, and actually has more options as far as brush strokes, sizes, types of media.

What do you dislike?

This is an open-source platform so in order to install it you need to know what you're doing. It's also constantly being changed via Github, and is difficult to find a download version via mac, although you can figure it out watching install videos via Youtube. Here's a good one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQeiVDpg9gw

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a bit tricky evaluating this software because, as I said, it's meant more for a child, so when asked whether or not it "meets requirements" my answer is based half on what I think and half on what my son thinks. Also regarding ease of use, the software itself is easy to use, but as mentioned the installation, especially for mac users is quite difficult - or rather a very long process.

I've only used this software with my son who is 7. He loves any screens, like most 7 year olds, but this program allows him to be creative as well. He uses it on a Samsung Galaxy Notebook, and it's perfect for that format.

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

Very nice when it comes to draw and paint very simple and light application. You can get a great speed while working on it although you face a little lag one of the other time that is considrable after all you are payeing a very less amount

What do you dislike?

I like it very much and I recommend this to others. In layer switch there is a lag which I personally do not like.Old interface was not that good but now I see lot of improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want cost effective good product I will recomend this to you.

It saves money and very cost effective in comparison to Coral software. There are few problems with few brushes but I hope they will be resolved very soon

MyPaint review by Nicole D.
Nicole D.

"MyPaint is Awesome!!!"

What do you like best?

I love MyPaint. It gives me the freedom to create art as I want. It has a large brush collection that is just like using pencils, paint, ink, and/or charcoal, which are the standards. It also allows you to make new, expressive brushes that are better than the norm.

What do you dislike?

The is really nothing I dislike about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and see if you like it first. Also try other paint applications to determine which would be a better fit for your company.

With MyPaint, I’m able to draft my own business cards, letterheads, flyers, and anything else that I may use graphics for, to my own specific wants. It is very easy to use.

MyPaint review by Michaela B.
Michaela B.

"Great OpenSource Program with Quirks"

What do you like best?

In the past, this program was a fantastic, simple way to draw or paint, offering a simple and responsive interface without the hassle of other features that would go mostly unused. The application didn't seem as heavy as Photoshop or Sketchbook Pro.

I still use an older version because it runs great and doesn't hog my system's resources.

What do you dislike?

Recent updates (for Windows) have been plagued with serious lag issues, making it difficult to use. The brushes need a little polishing up and refinement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before considering MyPaint, you will need to consider the pros and cons.

Pros:

The application can be a light drawing program that won't hog system resources (especially older versions).

The program is free and regularly updated.

Cons:

The program is originally created with Linux users in mind and it shows. Issues on Windows are slow to be repaired.

This program is a free alternative to Sketchbook Pro or Corel Draw, saving money and allowing my keep up my workflow. The program has some technical issues, lagging at random points. Some of the brushes seem to be grainy or unrefined. MyPaint is originally created with Linux users in mind and it shows. Issues on Windows are slow to be repaired. As a non-Linux user, I have had to deal with slow updates and glitches.

MyPaint review by Gary N.
Gary N.

"Simple yet superb, MyPaint ticks all the boxes"

What do you like best?

My favourite thing about MyPaint, which is not easy as there is a lot to love about MyPaint, is that it's brushes, especially set2, are extremely close representations of physical pens, pencils and the like. The speed at which you can create something with these is also remarkable. There's no lag on the brushes either, feedback from the pen strokes appearing in perfect real-time.

What do you dislike?

I dislike one thing. When a layer is turned on or off, there is a delay when this happens. That's the only thing I don't particularly like. I use to find the interface very simplistic, not a problem but a bit of a distraction, but the new interface is far nicer to work within.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a piece of software that produces quick, solid results and has no problems with lagging or stroke arc precision, then MyPaint fits the bill perfectly. As open source software goes, this is right up there with Krita. I used to toy with GIMP, but as time has gone by my painting requirements are mostly that, painting. MyPaint has become a very solid part of my workflow and I think everyone should have it on their machines

I occasionally end p creating storyboards for clients. This is the sort of job that ends up a clunky process in Photoshop. Whereas I still do use Photoshop for the image size formatting, I now do most of my actual boarding in myPaint as I can very quickly create the look that I want and the flow of the action without getting bogged down in the minutiae of Photoshop.

MyPaint review by Neve E.
Neve E.

"Just Open the Program and Paint"

What do you like best?

MyPaint's strongest asset is its USP - the ability to immediately jump into the program and start painting. Its minimal interface makes for a non-intrusive layout - windows only appear if you want them to, and can be docked or left floating, or closed at will. The focus is very much on the canvas, and what you are painting. In this sense MyPaint is truly made for artists - traditional artists making their first steps into digital art will find MyPaint an ideal starting point.

The default brushes are designed to emulate real-life media - charcoal, paint, dry brushes, etc. They have a unique 'feel' to them that I can't quite describe - something Photoshop can't emulate. There are plenty of different settings to customise should you want to make your own brushes. A nice surprise I found was the 'delay' setting, which makes painting lineart so much easier to do, if, like me, you own a regular graphics tablet rather than a Cintiq.

What do you dislike?

The cross-platform installation. While Windows users have executable files to easily install the program, the lack of Mac developers on the MyPaint team means that Mac users have to learn to use package-manager MacPorts in order to install it from the terminal, along with a lot of other software dependencies. Even then, there have been reports of the install not going smoothly. This will likely put off a lot of non-technical Mac users.

There are some shortcuts that I miss from Photoshop as well, such as being able to create stamp-like brushes, or the Clone tool. I'm also a 3D artist and because of some of these limitations, I don't feel that MyPaint is suitable for texturing 3D characters at this time (though I don't think this is what the software was designed for anyway).

Being a free, open-source project, MyPaint does not require any extortionate licence fees in order to be used for commercial/freelance work.

MyPaint review by Živko K.
Živko K.

"MyPaint is a decent free program with some nice features, but can't carry the work alone."

What do you like best?

One of MyPaints best features is the ability to pick layer, color and BRUSH with one click over the stroke you with to pick those from. That's one powerful feature I wish other programs have. I think MyPaint is the only one. There are separate shortcuts to pick color, or pick all.

I like the blending brushes which can do some really nice and fast blending. I also rather like it's ink and pencil brushes, which for me are the best to use in MyPaint. Very snappy and with natural reaction to the stroke.

There is a very extensive parameter set for brush control, even with the limited options you can make some pretty nice painting and pencil brushes.

What do you dislike?

The infinite canvas feature, it lacks an option to make it "finite", because having a limited canvas size or an artboard is an industry standard, and having no fixed canvas size is a minus when having to work with other programs. MyPaint alone is not strong enough to be the only program to work in.

Zoom levels are a little unclear(i start with an unzoom first), as well as resolution and canvas size. Often, if you don't take care, you will end up with a very small image.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think more artists should try it at least, it can be very fun to work with. It's speedy, nifty, and can export layers to multiple PNG which you can later use in Photoshop, if you don't need only basic jpg and PNG export.

MyPaint is very useful when you want to add some handwritten details, some painted elements or quick art if you don't have Photoshop around. For me it worked the best with handwriting. I used it to make a ind of "handwritten" and doodled website design. I also use it to sketch from time to time.

MyPaint review by Miguel P.
Miguel P.

"It is a package of freehand drawing quite friendly with many options of drawing and editing"

What do you like best?

Ease to export the formats that I want and the ease of importing and exporting images to other applications, whether AutoCad, Microstation and Excel

What do you dislike?

Too many menus the environment sometimes becomes very heavy and additional tools are required to get more out of it, for example a graphic tablet or a larger touch screen

Recommendations to others considering the product

That the software although it is of test this in Spanish since it has too many functionalities that it would like to exploit to its maximum capacity

In our case we use it to print triplets in forums or conventions and to give our presentations a more colorful and realistic design in the oil industry

MyPaint review by Aniruddha L.
Aniruddha L.

"powerful painting experience with traditional effects"

What do you like best?

overall i love all the traditional tool like effects. but what i love most is the blending of colours into one another. with the pressure of brushes

What do you dislike?

i dislike that i can set up a page size, its infinite and has its own advantages but also v shud get ption to have specific size so v can export later to photoshop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

i love using mypaint, itseasier to use than artrage, only artrage gives u better textures for oilpaints etc.

but as a sketching tool i love mypaint, use the various brushes to merge colors much better than photoshop can ever give.

i use mypaint whenever i need to rough sketch ideas (infinite page helps a lot here). whenever i need more artistic outputs like watercolour etc. or charcoal.

"MyPaint Review"

What do you like best?

mypaint.org/

Traduci questa pagina

MyPaint is an easy-to-use painting program which works well with Wacom graphics tablets and other similar devices. It comes with a large brush collection including charcoal and ink to emulate real media, but the highly configurable brush engine allows you to experiment with your own brushes and with not-quite-natural

What do you dislike?

There are some problem with installing beacause it is incompatible with some OS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, it very easy to use!

The top software to create icon!

MyPaint review by Iris H.
Iris H.

"MyPaint help me to edit ad get better many file."

What do you like best?

I like it because it is very easy to use. I had could edit and repair many files that sometimes I had couldn't open.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I liked everything i had did when I had used Paint.

Many presentations.

MyPaint review by Consultant in Retail
Consultant in Retail

"Painting with MyPaint"

What do you like best?

It allows you to express your self more easily than other painting applications out there , the options available are very useful. It allows you design without actually having to be a web designer

What do you dislike?

It is not as sensitive as you want for minor highlighting or fringing , it does not allow for color layering as easily as other tools out there does , but still better color mixing possibilities

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try this tool to help convert your ideas to pictures and logos

It allows you to draw out ideas and logos for display during pitch presnetations

MyPaint review by Przemyslaw M.
Przemyslaw M.

"MyPaint free painting "

What do you like best?

MyPaint is free, opensource tool for creative artist of digital era accompanied with Wacom fully supported tablet is grate tool for creating sketches, digital paintings with feeling of painting like on real drawing pad or canvas except there is no mess.

What do you dislike?

No turpentine scent but that might ba an advantage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great and free replacement for Corel Painter.

Linux, Mac OSX, Windows, great Wacom tablet support.

MyPaint review by Hafiz M.
Hafiz M.

"Paint review"

What do you like best?

I like that simplicity of the program. And how you can paint and design what you want to on the PC. It actually makes your dreams a reality.

What do you dislike?

No artisting Photoshop like software on it to manipulate an image.

It helps get the job done with good editing skills.

MyPaint review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Best paint app around. "

What do you like best?

MyPaint mostly consists of the canvas. The interface to select different brushes can be brought up if needed, but it generally stays out of the way of getting things done.

What do you dislike?

MyPaint focuses only on drawing. It has very little in terms of post processing or image manipulation features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If a user needs a bigger canvas all they need to do is zoom out instead of re-sizing beats anything out there!

MyPaint was designed specifically with pressure sensitive graphics tablets in mind.

MyPaint review by Daniel G.
Daniel G.

"Great for making quick professional loadplans"

What do you like best?

The ability to quickly and easily add well constructed shapes to an image. This makes for easy bullet or cloud comments.

What do you dislike?

I didn't find anything with this application that I disliked.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great replacement for mspaint

Windows is not including paint anymore

MyPaint review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"My paint Experience "

What do you like best?

There is a variety of options as far as brushes. And the color sampler is nice too.

What do you dislike?

Finding a reliable website that offers the latest version.The downloading process waa quite complicated. If I were a lay person who needed access to this program, I am not sure if I would go through the trouble

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you love to draw or paint this can help Bri g out your creative side.

Creating flyers and graph is for presentations.

MyPaint review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"MyPaint Review"

What do you like best?

The thing I like the most about the MyPaint software is that it picks up every thing you do as you create your master piece.

What do you dislike?

The thing I dislike the most about MyPaint is that there seems to be constant upgrades that are needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a Tablet and enjoy drawing and need to create graphics, then MyPaint is great.

It allows people to create better and more specific graphics.

MyPaint review by Ashley M.
Ashley M.

"Love it"

What do you like best?

I love the.color and font choices. I love the canvas sketching

What do you dislike?

It is a bit hard to navigate and the interface is very basic

It is easy to make color charts

MyPaint review by Dr. Mac S.
Dr. Mac S.

"good"

What do you like best?

tools to edit pics., solving marketing issues

What do you dislike?

it takes time to get used to it...some tools are complicated

marketing, and advertising problems

MyPaint review by Emma G.
Emma G.

"Nice, easy to use"

What do you like best?

Easy to use with a good intuitive design.

What do you dislike?

Nothing much, it's a pretty standard program.

Design

MyPaint review by User in Food Production
User in Food Production

"Best software i have fofund"

What do you like best?

I love how amazing this works for my graphic tablet. Everything is simple and smooth

What do you dislike?

I dont like the occasion brush lag it sometimes gives.

The different brushes make the advertising pop out and make them easier to add. It cuts out a bunch of time

MyPaint review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"I use the tool to upload screenshots - good software"

What do you like best?

It is easy to copy/paste jobs and format and edit.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at the moment. I think more user guides would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would like recommendations on other ways to use the software

Uploading screenshots for instruction manuals and SOPs. Use it for screenshots

MyPaint review by User in Publishing
User in Publishing

"My paint"

What do you like best?

My paint the ability to save your creations in different formats and pull in images

What do you dislike?

Using the text box can be difficult when you are trying to keep the sizing from getting distorted

Creating new grafics for contests we do on our sales team

MyPaint review by User

"Great resource for painting!"

What do you like best?

The creative aspects of this program make it easy and fun to paint!

What do you dislike?

Some of the program's features could be more sophisticated.

Giving employees an outlet to create paintings with this program has increased productivity of workers and also reduced their stress.

MyPaint review by User in Internet

"Simple, light yet full-featured"

What do you like best?

Not a cluttered experience. Very clean for personal or professional sketching or artwork

What do you dislike?

Difficult to select custom areas for editing. Easy to work around when you get used to it

Mockups for trade show booths. Sketching and ideation

MyPaint review by User in Semiconductors
User in Semiconductors

"Easy but not many options"

What do you like best?

It’s easy to use. But if you want lot of options, then things can get tricky

What do you dislike?

Sometimes features are not enough or confusing

Paint with strokes

Colors

Easy to save and redo

MyPaint review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Nice Software for designingeasy and art"

What do you like best?

Easy to use , nice graphic capabilities.

What do you dislike?

I think it is not scalable enough.need some more tools

Painting, graphics, graphic doc editing , for fun

Learning about MyPaint?

* We monitor all MyPaint reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.