MySQL

MySQL is an open source database solution.

Work for MySQL?

Learning about MySQL?

MySQL Reviews

Showing 846 MySQL reviews
MySQL review by User in Restaurants
User in Restaurants
View Original

"Solid Software, Easy to Use"

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about MySQL
MySQL review by Dennis M.
Dennis M.

"Why they love MySQL"

What do you like best?

MySQL is one of the most popular relational database management system (RDBMS). That makes MySQL user community one of the largest and so is the information and help available online. MySQL is simple to install and use. It’s also reliable and can be trusted being that it has been used by major companies across the world. From Facebook to Google, twitter, you tube and almost every CMS.

What do you dislike?

I like MySQL but they should do more about role based security. Working with dates and time gives me headache sometime also.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MySQL has a great user base and community behind it. It’s fast, reliable and robust. You can trust it to handle data of different sizes, small to big companies, simple websites to complex web applications and still deliver a good performance. I will recommend MySQL to developers any time.

MySQL makes 80% of the web applications we have built. Its high performance has earned it our trust. It’s affordable and easy to use. It also saves us time and money when training or hiring because most of the developers have already used it before they join our team.

What Relational Databases solution do you use?

MySQL review by Saul Ivan R.
Saul Ivan R.

"Great and Popular Relational Database"

What do you like best?

The ease which you can find learning resources and support from the community.

It is really on every, or at least on the bast majority, of cloud providers, so using any of them or migrating over them can be done really quickly with barely none extra configuration.

Current support and update is one big plus, having teaks, and improvements over performance or usability across upgrades.

What do you dislike?

Some of the difficulties at the time of make robust architectures with db clusters and replication processes.

An important amount of issues that we have encountered are related to the actual system which the database is installed, some of these are not quite good documented and with reason as there are so many distinct systems out there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Some of the most common troubleshoots are already solved by the community and with all those resources is pretty easy to use the features or delegate some operations with the knowledge that if any trouble comes up can be solved throughout the documentation and forums.

For more specific and deep issues you may encounter some knowledge of the actual system and network where the server is located is going to me required. Some of this weird issues can easily tracked, handled or even avoided in cloud solutions.

Most of the common purpose data storage are handled with ease using MySQL, quick setup, restore and backup for our operations data. Even before try something else we first run the first steps on MySQL.

MySQL review by Mel M.
Mel M.

"Expensive to create a custom database, but worth it "

What do you like best?

I like that MySQL is such a dynamic database, and that it filers out duplicate entries. This is soooo useful. We collect data from the Gulf of Mexico from sensors, and it is important that duplicate entries are not stored. We use this database to connect to R Studio.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I am having a difficult time finding commands and support. I suppose I haven't emailed but I should be able to find some code and support. Anyways I have had a lot of trouble trying to convert some dates, and I've just given up. I think the company will have to hire someone to do this.

We aren't having any business problems. We hired someone to create the database and they are creating a GUI for us. But it is very expensive, and it takes a very long time. I think the whole process took about 6-8 months to create the database.

MySQL review by Pablo P.
Pablo P.

"MySQL Review"

What do you like best?

Software de código abierto que funciona tanto en Windows como en Linux.

Tiene la capacidad de manejar bases de datos de gran tamaño y sabiendo conocimientos de PHP se pueden implementar registros de los clientes de forma muy simple.

Al ser de código abierto se puede modificar y ajustar a las necesidades de cada usuario.

La descarga es gratuíta y existen diferentes versiones de pago por lo que se trata de un programa accesible tanto para pequeños usuarios como empresas de todo tipo de rangos.

What do you dislike?

Muchas herramientas funcionan con PHP lo que supone una gran ventaja para implementar nuevas funciones pero la gran desventaja es que hay que aprender el lenguaje PHP para poder implementar las funcionalidades que ofrece MySQL.

El programa no admite tipos de datos complejos, expresiones de tablas comunes o uniones externas completas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MySQL es una buena opción del mercado para crear bases de datos y aumentar la organización de tu empresa. La recomiendo totalmente.

Gestión de datos de la empresa y de nuevos clientes utilizando el lenguaje PHP.

MySQL review by Lorena S.
Lorena S.

"Very useful Database system"

What do you like best?

I always use the free version, and to this day, I havent had any problem, all working flawlessly. It can be installed on windows or linux, this way you are not forced to use one or another OS. Its one of the most used Database system, so you can find a lot of information on the internet if you have any doubt (wich you probably will)

What do you dislike?

I find it not very first time user friendly. Previous knowledge is recommended to configure the Database for the first time. Also, some synthax is different from other SQL, this can lead to error in the code if you dont know

Recommendations to others considering the product

I havent had any major problems using Mysql, so I can recommend its use, but be advised that I recommend to read some manual if you dont have experience using it, because it can be a bit confusing especially at first.

We use it as database for a wiki we have for information of all our programs, with installation steps, installer paths, FAQs and more. We also use it as database for a GLPI instance we have. Since installing we havent had any problem, wich is great since we have a great load of work.

MySQL review by Tina L.
Tina L.

"MySQL gets the job done"

What do you like best?

First off, I use the paid version, but I do believe there is a free version of MySQL which is always a pro (much like MongoDB offers a free version). Both the free and paid versions offers numerous features and the option of configuring your database in numerous ways. Further, its flexibility is expanded by its ability to work alongside with other platforms and databases like Oracle or IntelliJ. This works for my company as this means MySQL can be preinstalled and set up and as new employees set up the database, there is no reason to have to open MySQL as everything can be pre-configured and then the database can be accessed through platforms that work sided by side with MySQL.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps the biggest downfall is a result of a plus point. Because MySQL offers so many different features and ways to create your personalized user interface, some very basic tasks become very difficult to carry out or take quite a while. For example, when I wish to backup the current state of my database, I have found MongoDB (which we previously used) was a lot quicker and easier to carry out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely take your time and patience in getting settled in with MySQL, especially if you are switching from another platform. If you are on a low budget, MySQL is probably good enough as it comes with plenty to offer even for free.

We use MySQL to hold our database. A database with over 127 tables, it is quite hefty in size and MySQL has no issue holding all the data and has always been reliable. I have yet to see (from my normal 9-6 hours) any time that the database was down so it is definitely a plus point.

MySQL review by Fredrick S.
Fredrick S.

"MySQL Review"

What do you like best?

I like the availability of MySQL across multiple platforms like LInux and Mac. Further, I love that it integrates so well with IntelliJ enabling me to store my database within Intellij and acess it without having to open MySQL

What do you dislike?

I dislike the complexity of MySQL as well as the price. Initially, the features that MySQL offers and the steps taken to set up the database are extensive and takes a true software engineer to figure out. It is not friendly to those who simply need a database to store information of clients for a ecommerce site or such. Further, the price is quite steep.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this product to only those who are extremely familiar with databases and setting them up. For simple tasks and those with minimal knowledge, I would not recommend turning to MySQL

I used MySQL to support a few websites to store user data on clients and users. The main benefit is that I can access it across multiple platforms and within other programs like IntelliJ.

MySQL review by Alberto C.
Alberto C.

"Not the best, not the worst"

What do you like best?

* Very easy to install, it's available in every operative system.

* Very easy to use, there are plenty of tools to manage and integrate MySQL databases on any platform or application.

* Is an industry standard, and is hardly difficult to find a system that does not rely on a MySQL database even for a secondary role.

What do you dislike?

* Is not the fastest database engine.

* Is not fully open source as Oracle has some closed components.

* The scalability is not as great as with other NoSQL database engines.

* The lack of a fully SQL support makes some queries not to work when compared with Oracle SQL or MSSQL database engines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MySQL is a perfect start point for any web application focused on data and dynamic information, websites, or other general-purpose cloud software.

However, it has some performance limitations when reaching a high level of data, which may lead into inconsistencies and unstable software. These limits are still too high to be reach in a short span of time but in a real world system this can be a pain in the ass after 5-10 years of a fully working system to migrate.

I use MySQL databases for almost any product i develop, as it's the de-facto free database engine solution in the computer software industry.

I've built from websites to cloud software, as monitoring services, or file management tools. MySQL is very handy to store cached data and create dynamic content.

MySQL review by John L.
John L.

"Great Database to use"

What do you like best?

MySQL is a very intuitive database schema. the ease of use is excellent. learning sql and applying it to mySQL is very easy to do and makes ones life of organizing data much easier. It is one of the largest languages (database languages) in the entire world, which means there is a lot of support and troubleshooting available online. Searching for solutions to common problems is very easy and can be solved just by doing a quick online search.

What do you dislike?

mySQL is a bit hard to learn initially. If you are starting from a language such as Java or Python, learning SQL is not the easiest thing to do. The language is much more of instructions rather than programming. for large scale and huge sets of data, mySQL may not be the most efficient tool as it does not scale too well. for smaller sets of data, MySQL is much easier and better to use. MySQL also does not support data partitions which makes analyzing large sets of data impossible (or extremely slow)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to spend time learning it and getting comfortable with MySQL!

We are creating huge databases to store information. We currently are storing costs and prices for our items in mySQL. We also use a lot of machine learning and data science tools to analyze and evaluate data. there are a lot of artificial intelligence libraries and tools that can be used along side with MySQL that make MySQL that much more powerful.

MySQL review by Habiba H.
Habiba H.

"For a free database software, MySQL is definately the best value for money"

What do you like best?

MySQL is provided free of charge. The features of their database engine are excellent and compete against even the paid databases such as oracle. The user base is wide and many issues i have run into have already been tackled and posted online. It is also very fast and fully reliable.

What do you dislike?

Some features of mySQL have been closed source and proprietary. The software is free but the user has to pay for support when needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a free relational database, MySQL is simply the best option to go with, it has ability to store structured data very effectively and is very easy to use. I highly recommend it.

MySQL has enabled my company to save finances that would have been used to purchase a relational database license. These finances have been used to do other tasks like marketing.

MySQL database is also very secure and reliable and our clients can rest assured that their data is properly protected.

MySQL review by shareef h.
shareef h.

"AMAZON RDS is cool as startup without mentioning complex shredding etc.."

What do you like best?

I use cloud amazon so ; I can change its size whever i need as the rush hours ( in my case ) event and tickiging managment system requires heavy buying.

What do you dislike?

it costs alot , the most of my bill is RDS . so i have to be very carefull of full scans it makes my db stuck at 100% and i have to ssh to it to kill that process, i wish there is way to kill it from amazon console

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it but keep in mind when your database gets very large it will defenitly need indx and redesign and infrastructure actions, try to design with performance in mind to scale up the product without enlarging the instance it costs alot, so understand your buz requirement for example amazon RDS has new type called t2 this charges is less but on trade of if the cpu is almost always less than 50 %.

Relational database to store my data and monitor

MySQL review by Rodolfo M.
Rodolfo M.

"MySQL as persistence layer for PHP-based systems"

What do you like best?

The great flexibility, continuous improvements and that it is standards-based.

The vast amount of information you can find on-line due to the big user base that MySQL has.

The easy of use of the graphical interface (MySQL Workbench)

What do you dislike?

The uncertainty due to competency with Oracle as the main (and competing) product of the parent company.

I think there is a risk that the product will loose against the competency (e.g. MariaDB) or due to internal conflicts with the Oracle team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it as a data repository only.

Do not depend on product-specific features.

Try to use only SQL-92 compliant sentences.

Always check the performance of your queries.

First, that it freely available, so, it helps bring the budget down for the on-going operation.

Second, it solves our persistence layer, in a standard way, using mostly SQL-92 syntax.

It has great on-line help, and there are many references, since it is widely used across all industries.

It has been able to solve the storage needs both for our website, and our mobile applications.

MySQL review by Himmy R.
Himmy R.

"A powerful and compatible database"

What do you like best?

* MySQL always guarantees optimal speeds and unique memory caches for improved performance.

* Facilitates and streamlines maintenance, debugging and updates.

* It is open source.

* Integration with other tools is easy.

* It is a very good relational database.

* MySQL works with structured data.

What do you dislike?

+ Lacks built-in support for XML.

+ There should be capture concepts.

+ Does not support ARRAY or stored procedures.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is extremely flexible and there is a lot of support in its large online community. is excellent for large or small websites you can quickly find compatible hosting, it is one of the most used database

I have obtained a lot of satisfaction using Mysql, as well as professional or corporate use, using Mysql in web applications made to measure, powerful websites and traffic.

MySQL review by Kevin F.
Kevin F.

"MySQL is a great general purpose and entry level data management system"

What do you like best?

MySQL is easy to use and supported on virtually every platform. It supports a wide variety of use cases out of the box, and generally "just works." Community support is prolific, which is really helpful when troubleshooting or architecting solutions.

What do you dislike?

Performance tuning can be difficult to manage and diagnose. For large and complex applications, MySQL will likely not be the only data system in use due to its scalability or complex query performance. Data storage on disk isn't as good as competitors (e.g. compression). Being a traditional data store, application integration can be more difficult than using a NoSQL-based solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider application performance requirements and scaling requirements before choosing MySQL. Do your research on other solutions before choosing MySQL. It can be tempting because it's free and open source, but be aware that there are other flavors of MySQL out there too!

We built ecommerce platforms, AI data stores, and other reporting solutions on MySQL.

MySQL review by An P.
An P.

"Simple installation and deployment with excellent free tools."

What do you like best?

I have used Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle in the past. Recently for my latest project I decided to go with MySQL because it was free. I have been able to do what I needed with MySQL without needing to learn much as the SQL language is very standardized. MySQL Workbench also is easier to use than SQL Server Management Studio. It is also supported on more operating systems.

What do you dislike?

MySQL does not support data partitions. Scalability is limited to the size of a single server. You need a server for each set of data files. It also doesn't support role based security.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for small to medium sized projects. There is also MariaDB which is based on MySQL.

The ability to deploy the database to multiple servers on different operating systems with nearly the same installation procedure. The product is well supported on the Internet which makes solving any problems extremely easy.

MySQL review by Guiomar T.
Guiomar T.

"Easy and practical"

What do you like best?

It is quite simple to get it running, and you can use it on development environments (aka laptop) and on big servers. It is quite simple to install, configure and run. It has an environment of tools that makes it easier to manage and maintain the DB (eg. workbench)

What do you dislike?

There are other tools and relational DB that achieves better performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will recommend MySQL because of it's simplicity and the improvements the SW is experiencing. Its performance is getting better and better while maintaining the "traditional" approach to relational DB.

We are managing states of entities, and historic data of those entities. The entities go through an automated cycle that can take from 1s to 24h, and travels through different locations. Looking the state of a certain object at any time it is necessary so we track where and the state of that object is whit a DB model.

MySQL review by Anastasia A.
Anastasia A.

"mysql, what more?"

What do you like best?

excellent response with more than 8TB of storage, in 3 second or less, graphic tool: phpmyadmin are easy to use, the help from Internet search, are good, you do not need specialized help, it use standardized sql, known by many people, open source license, solves all relational database problems, and in conjunction with non-relational database can be a good solution for Big Data. It offers a fast and free solution for complex database problems, with quick visualization of the results, without purchasing licenses, before embarking on large projects. The graphic tools available allow us to measure the operation of the database, before undertaking development projects. the graphic tools available, also allow to measure the operation of the database in distributed environments, solving the problems of blocking records and other problems of distributed systems. Console tools allow quick query jobs that consume less memory than equivalent graphical environments, with a easy language, for most users. The export function, offers ways to manipulate data in other tools that expand the number of users. the incorporation of functions for load balancing, facilitate tasks for high availability and make it competitive with respect to expensive database managers. the widespread use and support of the community, make security problems quickly resolved

What do you dislike?

more and better tools for graphic help: for example a graphic tool for "group by" clause.

Recommendations to others considering the product

use this product instead of expensive products and collaborate with the community

tda settopbox management: version, provider, capacity , etc

MySQL review by ALEXANDER J.
ALEXANDER J.

"Excellent relational database manager"

What do you like best?

Easy installation, configuration and intonation, good performance in queries, supports different operating systems, is a handler that does not use many resources so it is easy to run on any hardware, The security is quite complete which allows the protection of the information stored in the database, MySQL can handle almost any amount of data from some rows to more than fifty million rows, Another important aspect is its use of memory. MySQL prevents memory leaks that allow forinformation storage effective solutions

What do you dislike?

the non-documentation of some mysql utilities, SQL check constraints are not supported in MySQL. These are used to set a limit for values ​​within a column, Another common problem is, the size of the database. Although in theory it is scalable up to 8 TB, MySQL can not work efficiently with large database. In this context, other platforms such as Oracle and better and are efficient performer with large-scale data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For my experience I recommend for applications that have good sql sentences and good database design to use this driver, which has a good performance and performance for the demands of the queries, Mysql can be installed with a free license, or it can also be installed if it is necessary to invest more in costs Enterprise

Currently I am using Mysql 5.6 and the database manager has been excellent to store our dining room system, it is agile with good performance and portable.

MySQL review by Jake G.
Jake G.

"Review of MySQL"

What do you like best?

The reason why I like MySQL a lot is because of it's user friendly platform. It is also very cost effective. MySQL is organized very well and I think that it's a great program for all people to use.

What do you dislike?

I don't think there is something that I dislike about MySQL. Everything that I've heard from it is great and is very likeable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend others to use MySQL as it is very easy to use and many people are now switching over to it. The reason why I recommend this product is because many more people are switching over to it and it's fairly easy to use. New businesses or other new organizations would be ideal for this as it will be easy to transfer over from what they had before MySQL.

Business problems that I am solving and benefits that I have realized is that many people are able to understand it easier. A business problem is switching everybody over to MySQL because it is a big thing to do to switch everybody and the whole thing to this as we are not very new.

MySQL review by Jeremy S.
Jeremy S.

"MySQL Good For Data"

What do you like best?

The thing that I like best of MySQL is that it's one of the best software for analyzing data and organizing it. MySQL is very easy to use and is very easy to get used to if you don't have it already. The price for initial set up is not too much and maintenance and all other fees is not that much either but it's definitely more than others. I would recommend over other software though because it's worth the money. One of the best for server storage and data. MySQL is also nice to do business with and they also have good customer support that are very friendly.

What do you dislike?

Something that I dislike about MySQL is that it can be a little challenging at first but then once you get the hang of the application and the data structure and everything it's one of the best data analyzing software out there. MySQL is also a program that may have some cost problems due to it not being super cheap in price.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend other companies and businesses to switch to MySQL due to it being one of the best softwares out there. I am a small business and still can afford to use MySQL and works very well for it. Due to this, I honestly recommend other businesses to use this software.

Business problems I'm solving with MySQL is employees using the program are not getting work done much faster than they would with any other program. Something else that I'm solving is employees being able to use this faster and better.

MySQL review by Monique P.
Monique P.

"Great for putting things in alphabetical or numerical order."

What do you like best?

I like that it is so easy to open scripts and run them in MySQL. it does a great job of putting content in order on websites. one click and you're done!

What do you dislike?

You must have computer programming knowledge to write scripts. This software is only easy to run the scripts if someone else has wrirtten them if you don't have that knowledge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend learning scripts and computer programming if you want to use this program entirely by yourself to make websites. You will need to hire a computer programmer for your needs if you do not know this stuff. Otherwise it is fairly simple and shows errors that happen so you can fix them.

I use MySQL when updating my employer's website. He is a nature photographer and MySQL allows you to put photos on a site in alphabetical or numerical order with minimal effort running scripts. It has made updating a website very fast and simple when I used to spend many hours.

MySQL review by Manjeet K.
Manjeet K.

"MySQL: Best open source DB"

What do you like best?

Best thing about MySQL is, It's quite easy to install and use. By using some third party tools you can make it even more cooler. e.g. mk-query-digest & mydumper. Recently, it has gained more popularity as it's being used by loads of major corporations like Twitter, Alibaba, Amazon etc.

What do you dislike?

Most of the people things it's free, but it's quite expensive too. Which depends on for what you are planning to use it for. It could range from FREE to $15K+.

It somehow lacks in scaling, when it's forced to do too many operations at given time.

I don't know why MySQL is trying to do everything, which it should not. It's dependency on Addons sometimes makes task complex and hard to track and maintain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MySQL is a free-to-use, open-source database. It helps us in effective management of databases by connecting them to the software. It is a stable, reliable and powerful. Quite suited for low & mid-level organization.

Personally, i have used MySQL in development of several Web & desktop based application. Additionally, i have also experimented lot using it. Being it's open source gives you lot of flexibility. It's community driven development gives us exposure to lots of third party tools which has made my work easier.

MySQL review by Chris W.
Chris W.

"Easy enough for a beginner, powerful enough for whomever"

What do you like best?

I started using MySQL simply because our production platform uses it and we didn't like the reporting we were getting. I was able to go from complete novice to a report and process creating junkie in short order. It has transformed the information we share and our ability to rely on actual measurements instead of gut-feeling.

What do you dislike?

While it is easy to use it takes quite a bit of time for the timid and afraid to get comfortable with. I'd love to see a great user-friendly front-end tool for Windows.

Where we previously used multiple Excel spreadsheets to track our progress across multiple departments we now rely on our MySQL database and its various tables and triggers to provide us with information. We now have centralized data and have been able to create enough automations to reduce the manual data entry to the point that we were able to repurpose 2 full-time employees.

MySQL review by Ashish G.
Ashish G.

"Best open source relational database I have ever used"

What do you like best?

MySQL is the best, simple, fast, popular open source and freely available database for software developer. MySQL supports almost all types of programming languages. MySQL query syntax is easier to learn compared to all other databases. It also support highly complex and advanced SQL queries. MySQL provides the indexing and hashing for faster reading of data. It is being maintained by Oracle. MySQL has good documentation. MySQL provides a tool Workbench to write queries and look in the table data.

What do you dislike?

MySQL doesn't support complex data types like: JSON and ARRAY. MySQL doesn’t support common table expression. MySQL does not support SQL check constraints that is used to validate data stored in a column. MySQL doesn’t support full outer joins. It is costly to increase connections limit in MySQL

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend MySQL to all entry level and experienced developers, administrators and engineers. It support all types of basic and enterprise level needs of storing relational data. MySQL is easily adaptable with all programming languages.

I are working on a recruitment drive management software. I use MySQL database to store all my dynamic application data like user, college, company, recruitment drive, student etc. MySQL provides easy to use interface to make db queries to read, update, create and deletion of data. I got benefit using MySQL in terms of reliability, speed, easy to use interface, simple query syntax and support of joins. MySQL provides easy to understand documentation to understand its insights to get the full benefit from it.

MySQL review by Brandon E.
Brandon E.

"MySQL is the Go-To for Open Source Relational Databases"

What do you like best?

MySQL is free and available to everyone. The source is very mature and you'll rarely come across any issues in building out your database. MySQL is easy to get up and running without much effort.

What do you dislike?

Complex queries can often take longer to run. This can usually be improved if everything is indexed and related correctly though one miss can lead to long executions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If it will solve your business requirements or you're switching form MS-SQL then you'll absolutely want to give it a try. You'll be happy you did.

Massive data storage is the main problem that is solved with MySQL. I often migrate customers from Microsoft SQL to MySQL. When working between the two it's not hard to see that MySQL outperforms MS-SQL the majority of the time.

MySQL review by Carey D.
Carey D.

"MySQL Relational Database for Web Applications"

What do you like best?

MySQL being an opensource Relational Database Management System, provides ease of use. MySQL has cross platform support on which implementation and integration would not be a problem. I like the ease of connection to other programming languages and also management of large data.

It is best partnered with other open source products.

What do you dislike?

Though MySQL has many features it isn't a compliant for full SQL standards, though there are workarounds but still it would be better to adhere to SQL standards. Sometimes when query gets too large and the system is using sub selects, it is being of very slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend MySQL as the Relational Database Management System for small to medium enterprises. The best open source relational database management system.

Our company is looking for a good relational database management system that would meet the needs of the company, it should be low cost in the initial stage so not to incur so much costing compared to other solutions.

MySQL review by User in Program Development
User in Program Development

"MySQL"

What do you like best?

MySQL software is Open Source

Speed when performing operations, which makes you one of the best performing managers.

Low cost in requirements for the elaboration of databases, since due to its low consumption can be executed in a machine with scarce resources without any problem.

Easy configuration and installation. Supports a wide variety of Operating Systems

Low probability of corrupting data, even if errors do not occur in the manager itself, but in the system where it is.

Its connectivity, speed, and security make MySQL Server highly suitable for accessing databases on the Internet

The MySQL software uses the GPL license.

What do you dislike?

A large percentage of MySQL utilities are not documented.

It is not intuitive, like other programs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Because MySQL is open source software. Open source means that it is possible for anyone to use and modify it. Anyone can download the MySQL source code and use it without paying. solved the problem of not having to pay a license to develop.

MySQL review by brian yamanue b.
brian yamanue b.

"best data management software"

What do you like best?

it's easy to use, well documented and it's really mature, meaning that MySQL have a really good set of platforms and tools you can work on. And all major hosting providers work with it.

one of that platform is xampp, a software that enables you to convert you pc ((windows or linux) into a web-server (localhost) really easy and no aditional configuration are required, also that platform comes with a really good tool called PHPmyadmin that will allow you to create database and manage them with a GUI, and it's really good for starters and to understand visually your database, for example to create the relationships between the tables and share with your teammembers

What do you dislike?

right know i can't think of a problem that keep me awake by night.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you are considering using MySQL don't be afraid, theres really good documentation, tutorials and guides (paid and free) of people with good experience that would help you to learn it in no time.

Always read the MySQL documentation, learn the correct datatype and their ussage from the people who write the software.

right know i'm working on a custom management system for a company that specialice in sells and they need to keep on track of the suppliers and sells. In the suppliers department they need to know where and how the product is storaged, it must be by type and lot and in the sells department they need to keep the sellsman inform of the product's available stock. futhermore the system based on MySQL keeps them organice and reduce the loss of the company.

MySQL review by Bidur S.
Bidur S.

"Great database for web applications"

What do you like best?

It is open source and I can use it to represent mostly any business relations as required. It is available in multiple platforms and provides multiple storage and indexing features. In spite of being a structured database, it also has option to store and perform CRUD operations on JSON data. This not only makes it good for structured data, but also makes it usable for application that requires combination of structured and non-structured data.

What do you dislike?

At times, I've had difficulty maintaining up-time of server where there were relatively large queries sent to mysql. There is a big room to improve its performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend MYSQL for any small to medium sized application. It is free and open source, runs on multiple platforms, and is easy to set up and get going with.

We are developing web applications and APIs for our customers and users.

MySQL review by Abhishek K.
Abhishek K.

"Open Source Database with Great Performance and Ultra Scalability"

What do you like best?

Easy to find in-house support for when we don't want to go to the vendor. Fast memory allocation and execution of query. In memory features Low cost of ownership. Rich product suite / offerings considering opensource. Now Part of a very stable company like Oracle.

What do you dislike?

Better interoprability with big 3 database for DML. And I don't understand why built-in entry sanitation isn't better (you can put some wacky 'valid' dates for example) but I guess that's on us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A few of the top social media sites use MySQL as their database. Don't hesitate to experiment with this DB, If your solutions are built on other SQL databases try using this for reporting or other functions. Use the suite of offerings from MySQL Enterprise edition.

Managing data with a stable good database without cost is the biggest problem we have solved. Cost and efficiency are the major benefits we have realized.

MySQL review by Mariano G.
Mariano G.

"A simple way to manage or create a database."

What do you like best?

The features offered are the fundamental ones for any newbie in terms of database creation, since it gives a simple and simple environment in which to manage the tables, columns, data and processes within the database, allowing them to be carried easily.

What do you dislike?

In spite of being so simple, it fails in the practicality, since it covers the simplest aspects, so when taking it to the commercial and business aspect can be substantially limited in addition to handling a smaller amount of data or elements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It can only be used for limited work, practices or tests, given its commercial usability is very opaque by database platforms being this the most basic of all.

The simplicity with which you can test commands or SQL statements from your own interface, handling very simple configuration options to be able to manage several databases at the same time, covering a low commercial level and more educational.

MySQL review by sonu s.
sonu s.

"open source database management"

What do you like best?

MySQL is an open source database management software. It is easy to set up. It supports many programming languages. It is very flexible, stable and robust. A lot of online support is available for MySQL so one could easily learn and get their problems solved. Its commands are simple and easy to learn. It allows us manage huge amount of data in a very easy way and further allows its easy modification, deletion etc.

What do you dislike?

For new users the MySQL commands are very confusing. Optimization of queries is tough task through MySQL. The performance degrades as the size of data increases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend MySQL as it easy to setup. It is stable, reliable and flexible. It is scalable to multiple platforms and supports multiple programming languages.

I use MySQL in my office to maintain large database of customers and products. It becomes easy to handle. It allows us to easily modify and update the database. It helps us to maintain the history of the payments done to a customer. It is easy to setup and are scalable to multiple platforms. It supports multiple programming languages.

MySQL review by Kerron R.
Kerron R.

"Powerful Database Management Solution"

What do you like best?

MySQL is an open source solution that offers powerful features as a Relational Database Management System, including monitoring tools, backup and recovery, high availability and easy migration from other databases.

What do you dislike?

While the MySQL environment is fairly user friendly, there remains much to be desired within their navigation systems and user help guides within the environment. Committing changes and updates require entire page refresh which can sometimes take quite long and can be quite tedious at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MySQL is a suitable application for small to mid sized database solutions, it is quite easy to set up and the interface is pretty user friendly. You won't need any SQL expert to setup and administer this system.

Using MySQL for Customer Relationship Management systems and to support the creation of web applications by tertiary level students.

MySQL review by Daniel A.
Daniel A.

"MySQL for interopability"

What do you like best?

There still remain open-source apps that don't work with postgres- these are our biggest use-cases for mysql.

I like how starting from scratch in mysql is a bit easier than postgres, but once you learn postgres this isn't an issue. This probably explains mysql's lasting dominance over postgres, which is also free.

Mysql is multi-platform and available for all of the operating systems I develop under (Ubuntu Linux, OS X; also available for Windows - most easily as "Windows Apache Mysql PHP" aka "WAMP").

What do you dislike?

Features of postgres are richer. We have challenges with running a master/follower setup (failover is not automatic; we haven't paid for MySQL Cluster).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're considering free SQL databases, I would recommend that if you can, use postgres instead, for much cleaner features and fewer idiosyncrasies. MySQL is an OK second choice.

We're able to run open-source and older homebrew apps without the effort of re-designing them for postgres, which is a time-savings over the cost of running and maintaining an extra database.

MySQL review by Xisco R.
Xisco R.

"Very reliable DB Manager"

What do you like best?

I use it on linux, but it can be used on any OS without any problems. It doesnt use much resources compared to other DB Managers, allowing you to install it on a wide array of computers / servers. Internet its full of documentation, FAQ, Q&A with almost all the information and solutions for any problem.

What do you dislike?

It can be easy to get lost on all the features it provides, requiring a minimum of previous knowledge for making a good use of it. If you requiere some specific features, you need to pay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a good option, but you need to have some knowledge before starting to use it, but thanks to being Open Source you can find lots of informations around the internet.

I manage various linux servers at work, and I found MySQL to be the best option to work with them. Thanks to it being compatible with any OS, I havent had any problem configuring and running them. We use it mainly for web applications that require a DB

MySQL review by Travis K.
Travis K.

"MySQL - Database Management at it's best"

What do you like best?

MySQL is secure, reliable and won't lose your information unless you lose it yourself.

What do you dislike?

Can seem tedious to try and and do the back-end programming if you are inexperienced in several web programming languages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

MySQL is not only a great place to start when you want to learn back-end database management and programming for websites, as well as software solutions, it is also secure, reliable and worth every moment of time spent learning the system. MySQL Is also affordable and provides the greatest coverage available in service, and security.

As a client manager we often design our own database systems to match the information gathering and needs of the clients, verses using pre-made system that costs us and our clients extra money. Our goal is to focus on providing same great service, with a lesser cost overall.

MySQL review by Santiago G.
Santiago G.

"Potencia, facilidad de uso y además open source y gratuito. El mejor motor de bbdd para la web"

What do you like best?

Base de datos rapidisima, optimizada para su uso en proyectos web. Todos los proyectos que incluyen wordpress usan este motor, además de cualquier otro a medida que use PHP. Es un lenguaje flexible que se puede adaptar a cientos de proyectos y lenguajes de programación diferentes, multihilo y con un soporte para carga de trabajo increible.

What do you dislike?

A lo largo del tiempo se han filtrado fallos de seguridad graves que han puesto en peligro algunas soluciones de software. El ejemplo más conocido es la inyección mysql que permitía a un atacante inyectar código en una base de datos vulnerable. Por suerte ya hay medidas en las ultimas versiones que evitan estos ataques (aunque siguen saliendo nuevas vulnerabilidades, esta gente no descansa).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Para proyectos de pequeña y mediana envergadura es perfecto. No lo dudeis, es open source y te dará todo lo que necesitas para el funcionamiento de aplicaciones web y gestores de contenido como wordpress, joomla y similares.

Desde el proyecto final de carrera, donde un portal de reservas para un centro deportivo se apoyaba en esta solución de base de datos, hasta cualquier proyecto basado en wordpress. Una vez lo controlas, te vale para cualquier proyecto web.

MySQL review by Juan C.
Juan C.

"Best database for websites"

What do you like best?

Third-party tools available.

Compatibility with sql standard query.

Very easy to perform backup and restorations.

It allows to scale from small implementations to large projects.

Handles user privileges very well.

It is found in all the hosting of the market.

It has one of the largest user communities.

What do you dislike?

We would like to see stored procedures in the future.

Incompatibility between versions can cause errors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

mysql is the best known database the recommendation would be based on the type of project if you need a secure and professional database engine for websites you need to use mysql

Mysql is the database par excellence, when it comes to websites, it is used as a database engine on our website, being simple to start up there is enough material on the network to resolve concerns, we use it because it is complemented by Native way with PHP.

MySQL review by Tomás P.
Tomás P.

"Excelente administrador de bases de datos"

What do you like best?

He estado desarrollando durante algunos años usando este software. Ha conseguido que mi programación haya mejorado sustancialmente dada su facilidad y calidad de uso. MySQL está diseñado sobre todo para utilizarlo encofándolo a "big data", especialmente para el desarrollo web.

Originalmente utilicé Microsoft SQL Server pero opté por usar MySQL que brinda una gran oportunidad para una plataforma que es fácil de integrar.

Además, es fácil de escalar y tiene una gran integridad de datos. Al utilizar este software para mi empresa nos hemos dado cuenta de que ahora tenemos más de 300 tablas activas que procesan nuestros datos diariamente.

Conectarme a mi "IDE" para el desarrollo web es extremadamente fácil y confiable para trabajar.

Debido a su popularidad a lo largo de los años, existen soluciones para casi todo utilizando MySQL. La cantidad de material de aprendizaje en línea hace que esto sea una inversión sencilla para cualquiera que busque utilizar bases de datos en sus proyectos.

What do you dislike?

Como administrador siempre he intentado lograr la estandarización de todos mis sistemas, tanto en codificación como en el comportamiento de las bases de datos y en este software he encontrado muchos fallos que incluso con (más de 15 años en el mercado), se encuentran errores sin la documentación adecuada, errores que incluso la comunidad de Oracle y MySQL no han podido resolver, La nomenclatura de los errores es muy genérica y un solo código de error puede referirse a varios errores diferentes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Este es un producto fantástico. El mejor producto para la administración de bases de datos.

Permite al usuario final ver los datos almacenados en un formato completo, así como ejecutar consultas al instante.

Con el software mysql no necesitará guiones para ejecutar las consultas de la base de datos, sino que tiene una interfaz gráfica de usuario para este propósito específico. Por todo eso y por más, lo recomiendo a todo el mundo.

Me permitió crear mi primera base de datos relacional, con muy poco costo y escasos recursos tecnológicos, que vinculé a postgis y a través de un entorno de código abierto para montar un pequeño gis que cumplía con los requisitos de la institución donde formaba parte en ese momento.

MySQL review by Charles G.
Charles G.

"Useful and powerful"

What do you like best?

We've used MySQL for years in a variety of web applications. It's incredibly powerful, supporting a wide range of different use-cases and has scaled well in our applications.

What do you dislike?

Development is beginning to fragment more between the enterprise edition, community edition, and now the MariaDB fork. A native tool like MSSQL's SQL Server Management Studio would be useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are tons of resources online for setup and administration. Pay close attention though, as some of them are starting to be pretty outdated.

We are using MySQL as a cost effective relational database system. It runs on Linux and saves us a significant amount of money compared to Microsoft licensing costs for Windows and SQL Server.

MySQL review by Iñigo S.
Iñigo S.

"The best solution for most problems"

What do you like best?

Mysql is a free database manager system: this is the main feature and probably the reason why people choose it. In addition, it has the basic features that can be requested from a database management system: creation of tables, query system, creation of indexes, triggers, stored procedures, views, ...

It is multiplatform so you can install it in any operating system.

Oracle is the company that is behind this product and also provides you with a graphical utility to be able to administer the service; it's called Mysql Workbench.

What do you dislike?

The performance is not very good if you have tables with millions of records. In this case, other types of solutions could be a better idea. Otherwise you have to optimize your database schema too much and create indexes in an intelligent way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your project is not for a very large company is very likely to serve you. Being free, I recommend that you try it and decide if it suits your needs.

I use MySQL as a database manager for the persistence of data of all the web applications I do. It gives me the service I need and I do not require more features. I am using it for many web application projects for many years and I have never had problems. It is not the best solution if you have an IoT project in your hands with a lot of data flow.

MySQL review by Administrator

"Great value"

What do you like best?

I love the most the fact that it's free, versatile and multi-platform. Along with some sync tools (SJA for example) ,we manage MySQL in multiple locations with synchronisation of records and stock management across various servers and company offices.

What do you dislike?

Could do better with database integrity assurance as well as more security features. Also deployment automation would be a plus, although there are some tools available from third-parties.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a fast, versatile, multi-platform relational database system, MySQL has been for many years the choice for starters as well as advanced users. I also recommend using SJA for synchronisation and replication jobs.

Small footprint, great value for deploying in microservices and multiple platform - a must for our business. We're running point-of-sale systems in various locations as well as synchronising stock records across locations to provide near-real-time availability for our e-commerce websites.

MySQL review by Oscar A.
Oscar A.

"Uso muy sencillo y gran potencial"

What do you like best?

Usar MySQL siempre me ha parecido muy simple y sencillo, además de ser libre para el desarrollo y uso de bases de datos. Es bastante más sencillo si lo comparamos con el uso de otras bases de datos. Tiene muy buena documentación y es una herramienta muy útil para comenzar en el mundo de las bases de datos.

What do you dislike?

No soporta algunos tipos de datos como JSON. Algunas utilidades más avanzadas no están documentadas y puede haber algún problema en su uso. Puede ser algo complejo en el momento de mantener el servicio donde hay una cantidad importante de datos enviados a MySQL.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sin duda empezaría a usar MySQL por ser libre y además ser bastante flexible en su uso. El aprendizaje y uso de bases de datos puede ser bastante sencillo si se empieza a utilizar MySQL para ir avanzando poco a poco.

Principalmente lo uso para distintos desarrollos de aplicaciones y algunas webs. Es una buena recomendación el empezar a usar MySQL si estamos comenzando a entender el mundo de las bases de datos.

MySQL review by S S.
S S.

"Saviour of Open Source DB - MySQL"

What do you like best?

Very first thing, Its a freeware. Very user friendly, Not much complications in handling the Database and its administration. GUI is so attractive.

What do you dislike?

Limitations in the DB Size which we getting maintained. Maintenance of the DB will fail sometimes and it is little bit difficult to troubleshoot why it is getting failed also.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Whoever wishes to go for robust open source DB in place of MSSQL they can go for MySQL.

We are using Web Gateway for catering the internet needs for our user, The logs from the webgateway needs some robust DB to analyze it as reports. We are using MySQL for that purpose. Because of that all the Logs from the Web Gateway is getting stored into that DB and reports are being generated from that. The best thing is When we are struggling for licenses, it helped us on time

MySQL review by Cayetano G.
Cayetano G.

"SQL for the general public with advanced features"

What do you like best?

I started using MySQL from my high school studies and I have not stopped doing so, it is the lightest and fastest database management software on the market. In my opinion, it has nothing to envy from other competitors, it is very fast and very heavy procedures and the management of the databases is very simple with this software.

Moreover, when it comes to prices, it is the best value for money compared to competing software.

What do you dislike?

The worst part about MySQL is that, since Oracle bought it, it feels like the little brother of it and therefore, once you have it and you have squeezed it to the max, you will end up switching to Oracle without a doubt because it offers more complete options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Community Edition can be tested for free and thanks to its free history before being purchased by Oracle, there are hundreds of tutorials and guides to do all the database management you need. It is also very easy to implement in web services with your own plugin.

Luckily, having studied and learned SQL with MySQL I have been able to make a great database in my company and be able to put aside the pen and paper, update to new technologies and do all the management in databases with MySQL. In addition, it has been very easy for me to teach other employees to use it even without knowledge of SQL thanks to its simple interface.

MySQL review by Celso A.
Celso A.

"One of the most used and powerful databases"

What do you like best?

It is very powerful and each version increases the quality of the product. Many web applications, client - server applications and other software use MySQL as the default database, for example, PHP and MySQL have a great link between them and PHP web applications use MySQL as database in many many cases.

What do you dislike?

It was buy by Oracle and this company started to limit most of the free options so many people start to migrate to MariaDB (you can consider it as a fork of MySQL)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need software like MySQL you can get the support from Oracle buying MySQL or you can use MariaDB with the help of the communty and when you think MariaDB is short, you can migrate to MySQL

We use MariaDB as our default database when we don't have to install other databases as Oracle or DB2. It is very flexible, powerful and has a great community to help.

MySQL review by Suso N.
Suso N.

"Open Source Database"

What do you like best?

Mysql has one paid version and one free version. It works with any operating system (Linux, Windows, Mac, etc.) and can be managed with multiple different programs, that way you can use the one that suits you according to the type of Database you are using.

What do you dislike?

The main drawback that I find is that particularly the first occasion when it is introduced and arranged is important to have at least information to make a right design and without issues, as it offers numerous choices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend the utilization of the program, but you need to relax, without scramble and make a right setup of the program since it will profit considerably later , or else, it is likely that you will experience numerous issues as it has a wide range of alternatives to configure.

Main database for different open source based programs on linux servers.

MySQL review by Romit N.
Romit N.

"MySQL review"

What do you like best?

MySQL is definitely functional as it offers many features (of which I don't use a lot) but mainly it allows me to set up my local server and I can use the database within IntelliJ where I run my server. Its ability to be compatible with other software used at the company is a plus.

What do you dislike?

I believe it is too complex with the number of features it offers. For experienced users I am sure the features are a plus and the complexity is not a problem. However, it took me almost 6 months to fully get used to all the settings and toggles and what they meant.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend being patient with it at first and just figuring out the features you really need. As time goes on, you will get more used to it and will slowly pick up all the features and functions that MySQL has to offer. Only use it if you really need to or if it integrates well with your company's other tools.

I use MySQL to store the database that I need to work on and that my server accesses when it runs. Biggest benefit again is that I don't need to open up MySQL to use it within IntelliJ.

MySQL review by Animesh K.
Animesh K.

"Probably one of the best Open Source RDBMS"

What do you like best?

Support is readily available, its open source. Even enterprise version is not that expensive.

What do you dislike?

It has some stability issues and I think this over dependent on Add ons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes, I will recommend MySQL to others as my experience has been good till now.

We are developing smart check in system for small boutique clubs where we need to store information about Club, Packages, Classes, Members and memberships. Data is highly relational and would grow as this software is widely used.

MySQL has very good community support which is helpful when we stuck anywhere. MySQL also scales without loss in Performance under high load conditions. It is also easier to create backups.

Learning about MySQL?

* We monitor all MySQL reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.