NAKIVO Backup & Replication

4.7

NAKIVO Backup & Replication offers a complete data protection feature set, including local and offsite VM backup and replication, support for live applications & databases, instant VM, file, and application objects recovery, backup copy jobs, screenshot verification for backups and replicas, global data deduplication and compression, Web interface, AES-256 encryption, advanced reporting, and other features.

Work for NAKIVO Backup & Replication?

Learning about NAKIVO?

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Reviews

Ask NAKIVO a Question
Showing 153 NAKIVO reviews
NAKIVO review by John T.
John T.

"Incredibly easy to use and reliable backups with stellar support"

What do you like best?

We have been using Nakivo for years now, and it has been a rock solid choice. The interface is very intuitive with a low learning curve. The backup system itself is very performant and yet is not a resource hog. You may need to use more than one virtual appliance depending on how your backup repositories are setup (we have two VMs handling two repositories).

Easy to use

Set and forget

No tapes (obviously, but still)!

What do you dislike?

Advanced users can tinker behind the scenes, but this product is really meant for to handle backups for you. If you need extreme control, you might want to try something else. On the other hand, Nakivo has some good automation in their product so you can run scripts before and/or after jobs, etc.

Honestly, the only negative I'd cite is very minor: the Pro version only allows a single admin account. We're a small company, so this isn't a huge deal, but we'd prefer not to have to share an admin account.

One more thing that's not really a dislike, but more of an improvement - I would love it if the daily backup report had a giant checkmark to indicate that everything succeeded or an X if something failed. Then I wouldn't have to skim down the entire list of jobs to see if they all succeeded.

Any hiccups we had were addressed quickly by their support staff and the product continues to mature along with VMware. When we were ready to switch to vCenter 6.5, Nakivo had the update to their product ready to go just in time.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about NAKIVO Backup & Replication
NAKIVO review by Craig M.
Craig M.

"Sleek, fast, easy to use and very affordable "

What do you like best?

I found Nakivo a few years ago while googling around looking for a solution for our new virtualization infrastructure. I had planned on going with Veeam originally, but was drawn to Nakivo's prices. In addition to their already cheap prices, I found that they offered non profit pricing as well. I figured I would try them out. This is the first virtualization product that I have setup myself, and I have say that it is gloriously simplistic. During my initial install, I was up and running backups within 10 minutes. After the initial backup, the incremental backups are very fast. We have 1.80TB of servers, one of which houses our roaming profiles. It takes about an hour and a half to run the incremental backups each night, and it takes me about 5 minutes to recover a server.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I don't have much to complain about. This is a set it and forget it type deal. I run the occasional self recovers to be sure that its still working and so far, I haven't had a single corrupted backup after two years. I am having some slowness issues with our offsite backup over a VPN tunnel, but that is just a limitation of the throughput on the tunnel itself and not that of Nakivo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give the trial a spin. you will know within half an hour that you need this product. For those 501(c)3 companies out there, ask about their non profit pricing.

We are using Nakivo for both our onsite and offsite backups. We are using a Synology NAS on both ends. We are able to install the application directly onto the NAS itself giving us faster backup speeds and bypassing SMB speed limitations.

What Server Backup solution do you use?

NAKIVO review by Jonathan K.
Jonathan K.

"Organized, clean, easy, a great product!"

What do you like best?

The simple and clean web interface makes it easy to organize and schedule the backups along with the maintenance procedures. Incremental backups with compression combine security and space saving. Together with snapshots, the choice of flavor is yours.

The built-in manager also makes it possible to schedule and manage Nakivo instances on other systems in your cluster environment form only one instance making backups in larger scale smoother than you thought possible.

What do you dislike?

It depends on how you see it. The clean interface and nicely arranged interface makes things efficient to use with moderate options for various setting and parameters. It aims for a lower point of entry for new users but I would like to see even more options for fine-tuning in the future. However, the current state has plenty of options to play with.

An extended advanced mod would be nice. Looking forward to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is one of the most straightforward ways to securely manage backups for you Esxi VMs.

It porovides a simple and dow to earth method for manage a efficent backup rutine for one or multiple VM systems. Suits both home lab and company.

This software is one of the most straightforward ways to securely manage backups for you ESXi VMs.

It porovides a simple and down to earth method for managing a efficent backup rutine for one or multiple VM systems. Suits both home lab and company.

NAKIVO review by Dennis J.
Dennis J.

"A lovely backup solution."

What do you like best?

I am pleased to say that NAKIVO has quite a lot in store, from deduplication, compression, easy and seamless backups for VMs on Hyper-V, VMWare 6.5 & 6.7 and EC2. The restoration of a virtual machine is really easy. I am also able to mount the virtual machine and browse its folders if I want to. This is really neat. These things honestly make it worth it to buy in my prospects, having multiple transporters (This is used to transport the data from VMs to the backup server) and creating them is easy and does not waste time at all.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that we can not add more than one user; this is rather detrimental to some use cases as we would love to have a multi-user basis where we can assign our customers specific VM permissions so they can see their backup status. The freedom of choice to select your way of compression would be a nice addon too, but I honestly can not complain too much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Are you looking for a cost-effective no bullshit backup? Choose this, I'd obviously suggest running it in your own test environment to properly know if you need it or not.

Not only is it cost effective. It's easy, simple, and solves the question we had for a good and quick backup solution to obviously keep our customer's data and our data secure. This makes sure that our customers will never lose their data and that is the most important.

NAKIVO review by Lorenz M.
Lorenz M.

"Simple, complete solution. Good deduplication and remote copy capabilities, fine grained restore."

What do you like best?

Nakivo is very simple to setup, using a simple web interface. Deduplication and compression is working well. Remote backup copies is part of the basics, and allow much configuration. The restore options are great: boot VM from the backup, restore VM, file level restore. For SQL Server, it is possible to restore a single table, with or without data. For Exchange server, it is possible to restore a single email.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to say. The only drawback is that you can backup only VMs, but no physical machine.

And their sales and support mails go straight to the spam.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You are on the right track. The trial licence allows you to fully test, you will like it !

This is a complete backup solution with all you need. We have set up a backup strategy for disaster recovery we can be confident in.

NAKIVO review by Richard B.
Richard B.

"A great solution for a small charity!"

What do you like best?

Nakivo Backup really fits the bill for our requirements. The fact that it can run as an application on our QNAP NAS box without requiring a dedicated workstation or server fits our needs to a tee. It was very simple and straightforward to set up and schedule the required backups.

What do you dislike?

Occasionally when attempting to back up our (vSphere hosted) Small Business Server we get a warning that the vSphere .block files can not be created and that Nakivo is using its proprietary method. It would be nice if the warning provided a little more information of what was causing the error.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nakivo Backup is an easy to implement solution that fits especially well with the requirements of a small shop running tranquilized systems.

We are a small non-prophet with not a lot of resources to spend on our data processing needs. Nakivo provides an easy to use solution at a very competitive cost.

NAKIVO review by Martin G.
Martin G.

"Full backup solution with easy to use web interface"

What do you like best?

Fast deployment process on linux with easy to use web configuration. You can set everything up in 1 hour and be ready to backup your mission critical systems. Whole solution is very lightweight, right now we are using backup proxies with 2c and 2GB ram, and they are capable to process multiple jobs even with compression option enabled, without an issue. Web interface is big plus with compare to Veeam. API can be used for automation tasks like quick restore/backup, and modification of existing jobs. Multiple options for notifications, data compression/deduplication and network acceleration are very useful. Also big plus si the possibility to backup VMs on free ESXi - tested on version 6.0, 6.5 and even 6.7. Great solution for B&R infrastructure.

What do you dislike?

Missing option to backup on tapes, and backing up Openstack VMs. Some graphical statistics would be very useful for individual VMs backup size, maybe even forecasting the backup size using collected data.

Quick reaction time thanks to web interface, great price and notification options. Automation through API can save a lot of time, even controlling Nakivo using third party automation tools is very important in big size infra with multiple customers. Saving a lot of HW resources that are allocated to Backup components. Quick response from Nakivo support with built in chat, even in on promise deployments.

NAKIVO review by Ulrich J.
Ulrich J.

"Fantastic product! Easy, Fast, Simple and effective"

What do you like best?

Awsome product, Easy, Fast, Affordable

Easy - We got the software up and running within minutes.

Simple management - It took me about an hour to set up 50 backup jobs.

Fast - 24 hours later, everything was backed up.

Good compression: 11TB data takes up only about 7.5TB of space. We have enabled de-duplication and fast compression.

Unofficially supports backup of ESXi 6.7

What do you dislike?

No storage stats for backup jobs and groups (source storage size, backed-up storage size, retention size)

No backup of physical machines

No Office365 backup

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it, it is highly recommended to run a trial.

Since it only take 10-15 minutes to download, install, configure and setup a backup job, there is no reason not to try it out.

It started with the need for backup of ESXi 6.7, which most other vendors could not at the time.

Then when we tried the software, it was so much easier, simpler and faster than the other software we have tried before.

NAKIVO review by Alexander H.
Alexander H.

"Fast and Lightweight - Easy to setup"

What do you like best?

The ease of setup. Nakivo Backup and Recovery is pretty much ready to go right out of the box. I've installed this on both a Windows platform and a Synology platform. It works very well on both. Install it, add inventory, create jobs and you're up and running in no time.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at this time. Nakivo is an easy to use, off the shelf backup application that is cost effective. I have not run into anything at this time that would be off putting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely take a serious look at Nakivo. They are certainly an up and comer in the backup field. They will save you a bundle over others.

Nakivo Backup and Recovery is a cost effective backup solution that literally just works. VM backups are easy to setup. Being able to backup all my VMs and not have it cost me an arm and a leg is fantastic.

NAKIVO review by Martin J.
Martin J.

"Best "Bang for the buck" VM backup I have worked with"

What do you like best?

I have been using Nakivo for about 3 years on several different environments of my clients,

for VMware image backups. Straightforward very well organized GUI that is so intuitive, that from the first moment you feel like you know what to do. The internal deduplication and network compressions work like a charm. The replication feature is simple yet functional, covering for otherwise expensive software from other vendors. Using the remote backup and replication features between 2 DC's and getting very consistent and satisfactory performance results. Overall I love the product and would recommend it to anyone.

What do you dislike?

1) Repository management is very simple, partially only available from the cli.

2) Not possible to skip on any virtual disks of a VM that is running backup/replication (Can't bypass temp/dev/backup partitions,....).

Recommendations to others considering the product

After spending years working with complicated and expensive products, including EMC and Symantec solutions, we have an ease of use financially sain product.

The sustainable backup solution with fast and reliable recovery.

NAKIVO review by Elena K.
Elena K.

"Superb Site Recovery!"

What do you like best?

I have been using Nakivo on Synology for a long time, having it in a complex storage environment for backups together with dedicated backup solution. Recently came across Nakivo new version release with disaster recovery plan included and got impressed! Site Recovery embedded into the product as a feature, Nakivo does not deliver it as a separate product. Therefore, using Failover I can easily transfer workloads from VM to its replica and vice versa applying Failback! Have developed my personal DR plan and now I am always a step ahead!

What do you dislike?

That I didn't discover Nakivo earlier it made life so much easier. :-)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start your proof of concept ASAP and you will see that you won't regret trading in your existing solution for Nakivo.

Easily transfer workloads from VM to its replica and vice versa applying Failback!

NAKIVO review by Roy N.
Roy N.

"Excellent ESX Backup System "

What do you like best?

It is as simple as it is powerful. Time from download to full implementation is exceedingly short. The system requires minimum knowledge and the web interface is intuitive and complete. Recovery of SQL Server objects, Single Files or entire machine is quick and simple. Reporting and automated email notifications of system and backup status saves time, and ensures proper operation in an emergency.

What do you dislike?

Automation and GUI for the resizing of local repository disks would be nice- although performing this task from command-line is not overly complex.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A free trial of two weeks is provided to all. Implementation takes just a few minutes. Worth a try for sure.

It is a complete solution and plan B for the protection of mission critical VMs, where data loss is not an option. It solves the challenge of data protection, and the even greater challenge of data recovery.

NAKIVO review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Reliable Backups"

What do you like best?

1. Simple deployment model that can grow with your workloads.

2. Configurable. Create one time backup jobs or create schedules.

3. APIs. There is an API that can be used to automate almost every action required.

4. Failure Handling. Recovers from outside issues that would normally cause an error. If 1 VM has an issue the remaining items in the job continue.

5. Multi-Cloud. One tool can be leveraged to manage workloads in an on-premise environment or cloud hosted.

The main reason Nakivo was of interest was the ability to consume the API to provide a dynamic environment that can be changed as the workloads change. When VM's are created or destroyed the API can be leveraged to update or modify jobs as needed.

What do you dislike?

Having an API is great but I wish it was more friendly. For example every action is called against :<port>/c/router with a payload defining the request. Ideally when I want to get a list of jobs it should be an HTTP GET on a resource instead of always being a POST with the resource and method defined.

Ability to dynamically configure backup jobs so that no workloads get missed. Nakivo provides a simple yet powerful means to provide the backup and recovery of your environment.

NAKIVO review by Jason A.
Jason A.

"Synology Backup Tool"

What do you like best?

I've been playing with a number of different tools in my lab to compare different backup solutions for VMware for the Power User / HomeLab / Small Office environment. My environment consists of a single VMware server with 4 running virtual machines and a Synology DS918+ to support the testing of different virtual machines that I do. I decided to test the Nakivo Synology app and I found it to be probably one of the quickest and easiest backup solutions to use Total time from setup to first test backup was less than 10 minutes. The application uses the Synology onboard storage so getting the repository setup is trivial. Configuring the remaining settings such as email alerting was easy.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I didn' like was the install process on the Synology device. I manually installed the application but for some reason, it didn't start correctly after the first install. I had to restart my Nas device to get the application to run. After the restart, the application has been running perfectly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a small office running a single VMware server, this would be ideal.

Looking for a way to protect a limited number of VM's in a HomeLab/Small Office Setting.

NAKIVO review by Daniel K.
Daniel K.

"Excellent VM Backup Solution"

What do you like best?

1. Light weight Linux VM. Windows is not required.

2. Light on network resources. When using VMWare's VDP it would bury the network

3. Screenshot verification. This give us piece of mind that we can recover from our backups.

4. The backup storage files are not small number of huge files, as with VDP, but a number of smaller files. This gives us the ability to copy only the small number of files that change to a daily disk that get removed off-site.

5. The speed of the backups was impressive.

6. The new throttling will come in handy as we add backup to internet storage.

7. Self backup of Nakivo configuration to the backup repository

What do you dislike?

1. The logging available from the GUI interface doesn't have enough information when there are connection issues while creating a repository.

2. You need to login as root and edit the system scripts to turn on detailed logging.

3. NFS4 is not supported yet. (I did hack their script and easily got it working but totally unsupported)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do yourself a favor and give this a trial run in your environment.

We needed a backup that had low system overhead, a wide variety of storage options, quick, de-duplication, and recovery testing.

NAKIVO review by Ryan M.
Ryan M.

"Works great for Hyper-V - Fast & Efficient"

What do you like best?

Nakivo works cleanly and efficiently when backing up Hyper-V VMs. The software does well with a mixed environment of Linux and Windows VMs, and deduplication and compression make off-site backups viable. Restoring VMs from off-site or on-site storage was painless and easy.

Initially I was concerned that the several TB of VM data we had would be too much for off-site backups, but deduplication coupled with heavy compression brought this down to only a few hundred GB when uploading to Azure File Storage.

The software is quite flexible in that you can either use an SMB file store, or configure a light-weight VM in Azure with Nakivo's transporter installed for better security / more efficient transport when doing off-site backups. Using Backup Copy jobs allows you to keep nice and consistent backups.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike. I have found the Linux transporter implementation to be a bit more robust than the Windows transporter in some scenarios, so I would recommend just setting up a Linux VM or using Nakivo's virtual appliance if you're running VMWare. It's very light on resources.

One thing I found is that if you trigger another job after successfully completing a job, the second job inherits the schedule of the first one (thus, if the first job executes every day of the week, so will the triggered job that follows it). You can't select that they only occur on certain days, so if you need to distribute off-site backups throughout a week, for example, this is a bit difficult. It may be possible to achieve this with Pre and Post job scripts, however I haven't looked into this. (You can execute scripts that run before and after a job).

Lastly, if I'm going to struggle to find other issues, I'd only suggest that they replace the background image in their web UI. Usually you'd just access it on a local browser, but if you view the window in Remote Desktop (for whatever reason - you really should just connect with your browser) the image doesn't compress well and it's not a great experience. Switching the image out to a solid color solves this.

On-site and off-site backups. The data compression, deduplication and low resource usage is very nice.

NAKIVO review by Tamara J.
Tamara J.

"Fast backups & reliable restores"

What do you like best?

1) Runs as a Linux VM, so does not consume a Windows license. Nakivo can run on Windows if you are in a Windows-only shop, but if you have a mixed Windows / Linux environment, Linux can understand both NTFS and EXT4, so you can do individual file restores for both platforms.

2) Relatively low resource requirements. My Nakivo VM is backing up around 40 VMware guests, but only needs 2 vCPU and 4GB RAM.

3) Simple and intuitive web interface. I've even run it on my phone.

4) The dedupe functionality does not consume much CPU / RAM.

I can't say that Nakivo has the best dedupe I've ever seen (EMC Avamar holds that crown), but the low CPU/RAM resource consumption makes up for that.

5) The Backup Copy Job makes it easy to have an offsite backup for DR purposes.

I use this feature to provide cross-site offsite backups between two data centers.

6) The VMware replication feature is great for test labs. I've used it to rapidly deploy multiple VM's for testing, so it saves me a bunch of time.

7) Flash VM Boot makes it really quick to recover from hardware failures. I had an old VMware server die on me last year, and the dozen or so VM's on that machine were up and running on an alternate host 5 minutes later.

What do you dislike?

The individual file restore process is a bit clunky.

I'm not a big fan of the whole strategy of downloading individual files from the web interface, and then using a separate procedure to copy the files to the machine that needs the files.

In a perfect world, I would like to be able to kick off individual file restores directly on the client machine, but I realize that is not really feasible in an agentless environment.

I've been working around this by exporting the mounted backup image from the Transporter directly to the client machine, and then using the client machine to copy from the NFS or SMB export, as described at https://helpcenter.nakivo.com/display/KB/Direct+Recovery+of+Files+to+a+VM

NOTE: Apparently, in-guest file restore is on the roadmap for Q2 2018, so this might not be an issue for much longer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are still using legacy in-guest backup solutions (Netbackup, Commvault, TSM, etc), look at Nakivo for backing up your VMware/Hyper-V environments.

Easy to make both onsite and offsite backups, with simple and reliable restores.

NAKIVO review by Christophe R.
Christophe R.

"Easy and powerful"

What do you like best?

clear and comprehensive interface, with help at all levels

What do you dislike?

Currently, it is not possible to encrypt backup storage directly on a Synology

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use, can be installed on a NAS (Synology) and therefore does not require a dedicated VM. In addition, very efficient and fast.

In the past, I used Nakivo in a VMware infrastructure to backup dozens of VMs.

Today, my working environment is Hyper-V and I was looking for a backup tool for VM. I also wanted the software to run on a Synology and not add a VM to the hypervisor (in case it crashes)

In fact, I downloaded Nakivo to test under Hyper-V and returned the same ease and power as for VMware.

So it was my inevitable choice for the backups, without hesitating!

Easy to set up and use, what more could you ask for:-)

NAKIVO review by David J.
David J.

"Great Product!"

What do you like best?

Nakivo is very easy to use, and has great tech support! The price point is very attractive to smaller businesses but scales effectively to larger installations as well. Nakivo technical support are great to work with and have resolved all of the questions I have had very quickly and completely.

What do you dislike?

Not much. I would really like a pause button on backups, that could be resumed later from that point. I wish the calendar view was available under my Essentials Pro license since it quickly shows when my next backup or copy jobs are scheduled to run.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Nakivo, you will love it!

We have a small VMware installation in a medical facility and needed an affordable but effective backup solution that would support both local and cloud backups of the virtual machines. Nakivo handles that with ease.

NAKIVO review by Sylvain  F.
Sylvain F.

"Amazing backup solution"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of managing all the aspects of backup, restore and replications. Many amazing features such as Flash boot (booting a backup in 12 seconds) and individual file access. Backup to the cloud works like a charm and was setup without effort, as everything is handled within Nakivo. Incremental backup and use of VmWare CBT reduces backup time a LOT! Deduplication reduces storage space a LOT! Support is fantastic, prompt replies and relevant answers.

What do you dislike?

So far, not much. Maybe the fact that Transporters running on Synology cannot be used directly to Recover files individually. But work around exists.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I found no pitfalls, so not recommandations at the moment....

Getting rid of tape backups infrastructure that is getting old. Having a backup solution that supports 3-2-1 backup startegy, where I have my backups locally, and a copy out in the cloud.

NAKIVO review by James R.
James R.

"NAKIVO Small Business Implementation"

What do you like best?

Intuitive interface that runs within the web browser of your QNAP or on-premise storage solution. A calendar displays the backup schedule so that you can prioritize backups effectively. NAKIVO was fast and easy to install and deploy on both our QNAP and Synology storage devices.

What do you dislike?

It takes a bit of research to understand the transporters required for different applications. However, the default installation comes with a generic transporter for basic functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent product if you're looking for fast implementation.

On premises backup and restoration of internal VM's. Restoration of VM's is very fast and can be managed within the GUI. There are multiple restoration points (depending on the quantity of backups you store) that can be used to restore a VM to a safe timestamp. Implementation was much faster for us than other product offerings like Veeam.

NAKIVO review by Justin M.
Justin M.

"Excellent product, handled our environment without a hitch."

What do you like best?

We use a QNAP NAS to host our virtual environment data. We found that NAKIVO was a featured app in the QNAP App Store. After installing the app, the NAKIVO software was a breeze to navigate through and begin taking backups. The restoration of our virtual guests was just as easy as taking the backups as well. Very satisfied with the product, 5 stars!

What do you dislike?

Only limited to one user account in our test environment, would like more granularity in user access for audit/logging purposes.

We are solving resiliency and redundancy of our environment. Realized immense benefits when one host server was swapped for a replacement and our environment came back online.

NAKIVO review by Brent W.
Brent W.

"Nakivo, works great for backups. Recovery is a different story."

What do you like best?

Nakivo is a lightweight VM backup solution. We started out using the Windows based installer a few years back but have since switched over to the Nakivo VA. For a smaller sized business it's handy that it takes up a small footprint and resources on the ESXi host. Using default settings the entire VA takes up 2 vCPU, 4GB of RAM and 30GB drive space.

Pros:

1) Easy setup either through installer or VA

2) Lightweight

3) Easy setup for notifications. Emails on success or failures.

4) Newest version has chat support built in

What do you dislike?

Here's the part that becomes frustrating. While the recovery process does work, there are times you need to jump through hoops to get it functioning. We recently had a VM datastore corrupt after a RAID drive failed (completely not Nakivo related, just providing back story), and we had to recover from USB backups from Nakivo. We luckily were able to setup a test ESXi and run a Flash Boot from Nakivo to verify integrity of backup before recovery. We then started a recovery to the ESXi. The process was quite slow, but understandable on an older server and USB 2.0 (NAS recovery is faster) but at this location that wasn't an option. Took about 47 hours to recover a 2TB VM. Recovery was successful but working with restoring some newer data files, some files were deleted on the recovered VM. This is where the issue starts. We went to run a Flash Boot again to the same ESXi we had previously tested on, but this time it would not allow us to select a datastore as the remaining space on the datastore was 1.8TB, but the VM backup was 2TB.

At this point we contacted support and spent 4 hours troubleshooting. Support was not helpful at all. First we were told NFS wasn't supported for Flash Boot, then we were told VMFS/ATA wasn't supported (but remember we did successfully Flash Boot to the same ESXi before the recovery when there was over 3TB of space.) Long story short I was told they don't know, you should only need a small amount of space, and the last option was to reboot the ESXi servers. Flash Boot does not work across 3 different ESXi servers. Basically Nakivo is good for backups and recovery, but don't expect anything from support.

Cons:

1) Slow recovery vis USB (not really Nakivo's fault)

2) Flash Boot only seems to work with more space than the full size of the VM

3) Support

4) Getting sales calls when trying to re-download VA/installers

Nakivo allows us to keep backups of our VM's for recovery purposes. It may be slow to recovery depending on your backup media, but is still a lot faster than trying to rebuild from scratch.

NAKIVO review by Frank J.
Frank J.

"Great product that just works"

What do you like best?

It's flexibility to make your backup infrastructure fit your current infra. Windows, linux, NFS, iSCSI, internal storage, it will take anything you have that make sense to you.

What do you dislike?

It still has some difficulties doing file level restoration across all the filesystem it supports.

DR is taken care of and we cut our time to recovery by at least 50% with scheduled duplication of VMs.

File level recovery for certain filesystem has been enabling us to remove OS level backup software. We cut back on software cost and storage cost for backup. Combining our disaster recovery and backup budget has been an important aspect in choosing Nakivo.

NAKIVO review by Brian S.
Brian S.

"The Only One That I Can Count On!!!"

What do you like best?

Fast backups, restores. Nice boot snapshot feature for peace of mind. Easy install and setup.

What do you dislike?

Only con is the product and licensing is a little difficult to understand. Not a problem though; just email of the nice support agents. Pretty fast response time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product, great price.

I have tried many other VM backup solutions. I also make sure to have 3 different backups using differemt products for fail proof restores. Many times Nakivo was the only restore that worked. All others have failed me in my time of need. Price is very fair, fair enough that it is an easy sell to my clients with limited budgets.

NAKIVO review by Tony M.
Tony M.

"Nakivo Backup and Replication - Works Great!"

What do you like best?

Simplicity, Speed, Dedupe and compression without addon cost. Untethered capacity

What do you dislike?

The only negative is not really a negative but Nakivo does not backup physical servers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework and compare feature and function - cost per socket and the simplicity it offers over top choices like VEEAM - it literally cant be beat for how simple it is. It has worked without issue since inception and when we have run into an issue - support fixed it or provided a solution within 24 hours

Nakivo B&R has simplified our backup process, to include the actual backups and retention period of that data by way of dedupe and compression. Previous backup vendors charged a premium addon for those functions. The Nakivo product also untethers capacity that we were once capped at on a competing product - no more purchasing 100% of an application but are limited to only consuming 80% of the licensed capacity.

NAKIVO review by Luca B.
Luca B.

"Reliable and easy to use"

What do you like best?

It's reliability and the extremely well made application, the VM appliance works in just few steps and the NAS compatible app (i use the one for QNAP usually) is really usefull, i usually work with VMWare hosts and it works well with Hyper-V and i found really usefull the EC2-capability of the software. The interface is quite clear and the deduplication works like a charm. The possibility to restore the VM directly from the repository can be a real life-saver.

What do you dislike?

There is not much i dislike, the only thing i can possibly want is the possibility to have more options on the NFS mount for the repository.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The trials version is a must, you can try everything on the software without any limitations, the software itself is really nice and easy to use, i recommend it in any installation with Virtual Machine. Is one of the best software i've tried so far that works perfectly even with the free version of ESXi

I was able to introduce in really small company a really complete VM backup solutions with an affordable price, i'm able to set-up disaster-recovery solutions in minutes just using it, the flexibility of the license is really usefull at times like that.

NAKIVO review by Steven O.
Steven O.

"Nakivo Backup"

What do you like best?

Software is very easy to setup and use. Very intuitive setup of backups jobs, transporters and storage devices. Monitoring of backup jobs shows backup speed and running backup time. Restores can be of a whole VM machine or just one folder or file. Overall an excellent product.

What do you dislike?

Would like to see a stand alone console for monitoring backup jobs instead of monitoring jobs via a web browser.

Nakivo backup and Replication is a very affordable product with pricing based on a per cpu socket. Other products are much more expensive per esxi host backed up.

NAKIVO review by Stu H.
Stu H.

"Our "go to" for backkup and data recovery"

What do you like best?

Easy to set up and use, no agents on vm's or hosts. We have a few backup products but Nakivo is the one we turn to when we need to recover data. We quickly find the data we need be that a file or a complete vm. No training needed as it's very intuitive. On top of that, it's competitively priced.

What do you dislike?

Support is very good, but not immediate. This hasn't been a problem for us but it is something for Nakivo to grow.

We needed an easy to use, flexible backup system and Nakivo is the answer. We can easily save backups to AWS S3. All around we are very happy with the product.

NAKIVO review by Marty T.
Marty T.

"Vmware Backup Sucess"

What do you like best?

I like the logical and modular nature of the product. With 30 years of IT experience I've used a ton of backup products and some flavors just drive you nuts and other feel easy from day one. Nakivo just makes good sense. (note this is an interal use application by a partner)

From a product standpoint the key features I wanted for snap shot backups, good performance and excellent reporting were all found and easy to setup on the product.

What do you dislike?

All bakcup products have some learning curve and testing activity that I always try to short cut but spending a little time on this task is just sensible and required. Some pricing combinations were more money than I wanted as we use a 2nd VMware server for some test platforms and the pricing added some cost to use those but not unfairly, just wish it was less.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Test the product as the rusults will lead you to like and trust the product

Our Vmware server were backed up at the OS level but with Ransomware server level attacks growing I wanted to move to a vmware centric backup instead for the added issolation of the process and backup destination and Nakivo provides that nicely with our Synology based application (1517)

NAKIVO review by Manuel P.
Manuel P.

"Great perfomance & great prices"

What do you like best?

First of all, the installation is great: simple and efficient. The perfomance of Nakivo is awesome, currently I run backups of two host (20 machines) and they are doing super fast.

The recover job works very well, I can recover individual files instantly (zip format) and if it'is not enought I can't reover the entire machine.

Support is great, they call me fast (less than 1 hour)

What do you dislike?

They need to work more on open source virtualization services (like proxmox)

Recommendations to others considering the product

The easy install and easy implement. The migration of the services works well.

The entire infraestructure of servers. Better prices than the other backup software tools, free training and better perfomance.

NAKIVO review by Cory E.
Cory E.

"Excellent Tool for ESXi Backup and Restore"

What do you like best?

It just works and works well. We've used the restore on a few occasions now and it has been simple and fast to get back running.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot to dislike. It performs as expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We use Nakivo on a Synology Rackstation. We love how easy it is to use and integrate with our VM hosts.

We want reliable backups of our VMs. We are a software development company and frequently "mess up" VMs during development and testing. Nakivo allows us the freedom to not worry about that knowing we can instantly recover or revert to base copies.

NAKIVO review by MOHAMMED A.
MOHAMMED A.

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

Configuring the system is extremely easy and straight forward.

What do you dislike?

I've had some issues with backing up VMware Horizon View desktops. Issues I am currently trying to resolve, however Veeam hasn't had these issues before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

think Nakivo is a great product. Because some big companies are moving towards it, I foresee the price might not stay the same and will go up soon, so I'm glad we got in on the ground floor. If you do virtual backups and are having heartaches at the cost, I highly encourage you to check out Nakivo.

I use it for backups. The cost is very good comparing to Veeam.

NAKIVO review by Edward B.
Edward B.

"Right on Target"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, can mount on Synology NAS. Easy to configure and use. Functionally awesome. I am impressed with the CBT and how fast the incremental backups are. Also very impressed with the support when I had questions. I compared against their nearest competitor and was very satisfied that this was the absolute best choice for our implementation and growth plan.

What do you dislike?

So far nothing. We just asked for quote

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't waste your time reviewing a lot of others. Solid functionally and support was outstanding! Thanks Oleksandr! Dzhevaga

Archival of test environments for multiple firmware test VMs, and Easy replication between VSphere hosts.

NAKIVO review by Graffen S.
Graffen S.

"Nakivo is the best"

What do you like best?

The ease of use of the application is clearly the first feature that stands out. Also, the ability to scale the application is awesome. I cannot say enough good things about the responsiveness of the sales & technical support teams.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I would like to see, would be the ability to customize the SMTP address for the job notifications.

We were able to set up and configure Backup & Replication to multiple replication targets for a combination of on-site/off-site backups.

This process would have cost additional, or been more convoluted had we used other competing products

NAKIVO review by Kunal B.
Kunal B.

"NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "All my backup worries gone""

What do you like best?

It really works well. Does what it is supposed to do in a minimalistic, very simple, very easy fashion. As a newcomer to virtualization, I am turned off by VMware's complicated roundabout way to do everything, and after having troubles for the umpteenth time with VDP, moved to Nakivo. Setup took 5 minutes, and didn't give me DNS errors and authentication errors like VDP always has. Setting up backup jobs was also dead simple- although that was fairly easy on VDP as well.

What do you dislike?

Need a version to allow backing up individual PC's to the repository including making an ISO boot image of the PC to allow you to boot and then recover of the machine from backups if needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it.

The entire infrastructure of servers. Better prices than the other backup software tools, free training and better performance.

NAKIVO review by Administrator

"Awsome software for backing up your homelab"

What do you like best?

1) Ease of use

I installed Nakivo on my Synology NAS for backing up guest on my ESX host. Installation was super easy and the GUI is very easy to understand. CBT works great for incrementral backups and the backups/restores are very fast and reliable. I've used the NFR-licens for about a year so I have tried many of it's functions.

2) Support

I had some problems with Nakivo and vmfs6 and the support guys actually setup a conference call to help me solve it.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. If there is something I don't understand I just have to ask the support team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out, you'll be suprised

I have a small number of VM's that I need to protect. Nakivo makes it hassle-free and I don't have to worry about my data.

NAKIVO review by Erich N.
Erich N.

"Powerful Backup & Replication solution which is easy to install and configure"

What do you like best?

A few weeks ago I did read the first time about NAKIVO Backup & Replication Solution. In the article it was written, that the Software can be installed and configured in a few minutes. I can only confirm that this is really true and I really like that the software is directly running on a NAS appliance like QNAP as well.

What do you dislike?

Up until now I did not have any problems I could write about.

We use NAKIVO Backup & Replication to replace Vsphere VDP as this product has been discontinued. The main advantage I see with NAKIVO Backup & Replication is that there are no longer any plugins and appliances which need to run on the VMware infrastructure.

NAKIVO review by Dustin W.
Dustin W.

"Enterprise-grade backup software at a great price"

What do you like best?

The Flash VM Boot feature allows us to instantly boot up a point-in-time backup without the lengthy restore process.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike about the product. The only thing that I would improve is the update process. Updating the virtual appliance requires a manual process of uploading the update file. I would prefer there be a method to do it all from the web interface.

We needed an easy to use backup solution for our vmware infrastructure. Deduplication keeps our disk usage low while providing us with weeks worth of point-in-time recovery points.

NAKIVO review by Tim S.
Tim S.

"Awesome Support Technicians"

What do you like best?

The software is easy to use, but if you run into problems, Nakivo support technicians are very knowledgeable and quick to respond.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike. I only have problems with things I do not know how to use. But I am able to make a phone call or email and support is able to assist remotely.

I am able to backup local and to Amazon. The software is easily customized to back up what you need and skip what you do not need. This saved us money in offsite storage.

NAKIVO review by Kubilay V.
Kubilay V.

"Great product"

What do you like best?

Nakivo Backup & Replication is a great product. The pricing of Nakivo is affordable and it's easy to use.

Next to that the customer support is great. The support always answer you as soon as possible and really try to help you.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I don't like is when the app aware mode is on, the VM's that's getting backed up will lose conection.

We already made back-us on file-level but not on VM-level. Nakivo offers a great and easy solution for this.

NAKIVO review by Systemhaus Sauerland .
Systemhaus Sauerland .

"Easy to use backup solution for virtual infrastructure"

What do you like best?

The software is really easy to install and configure. If there is a question or a problem NAKIVO has a quick and well organized support team.

What do you dislike?

So far just the way how backup jobs on removable disks in rotation are implemented. Ideally the software would recognize what repository is attached. But as a workaround you can create multiple jobs (for each repository one job).

Cost efficient backup solution for small and mid sized companies using VMware or HyperV servers.

NAKIVO review by Nicolas V.
Nicolas V.

"Backup d'infrastrctures VMware"

What do you like best?

- Simplicité d'installation et de configuration du produit.

- Appliance VMware très pratique.

- Fonctionne très bien, je n'ai jamais eu de mauvaise surprise, toutes mes tests de restauration se sont toujours effectués avec succès.

- Compression efficace et sauvegarde plutôt rapide.

What do you dislike?

- J'aurais apprécié avoir une fonction pour répliquer les datastores de mes infrastructures.

Cela nous a permit de simplifier/assurer la gestion de nos sauvegardes. J'ai pue comparer NAKIVO à d'autres outils du marché et je le recommande fortement pour sa simplicité et son efficacité.

NAKIVO review by Alexander S.
Alexander S.

"Best Backup software On my Synology NAS "

What do you like best?

Have been using Nakivo for the last few months and i find it reliable, saves backup storage and works very well with my Hyper-v and Synology environment.

What do you dislike?

Well there are few thing that would be nice if they include it in Nakivo:

-two factor authentication

-Fix the update option on the Synology NAS. At the moment I have to download the file and update it manually

Price isn't that high, so it's perfect for a small IT-environment

NAKIVO review by Genaro T.
Genaro T.

"A great product: effective and affordable"

What do you like best?

Easy to install and use. Increase the security of the system immediately. It can be installed as a Synology package. Everything works as expected to work

What do you dislike?

It would be great if it allowed the backup of physical machines. Get a comprehensive backup solution

We were looking for a backup solution for ESXi with a very tight budget. Other solutions, perhaps better known, were too expensive and we decided to try NAKIVO. It was a great success.

NAKIVO review by Erik Y.
Erik Y.

"A fantastic product!"

What do you like best?

Ease of implementation, use and intuitive interface.

What do you dislike?

Lack of ext3/ext4 support for individual file recovery from backups.

Recommendations to others considering the product

After reviewing all available solutions I'm very happy I decided on NAKIVO. I currently have this running on my NAS and backing up all available VM's on a scheduled nightly basis. I've restored multiple VM's without issue and even used this opportunity to rename the VM's during restore. Top notch product and quality.

Solved my immediate need for scheduled, de-duplicated and compressed backups of my VM's.

NAKIVO review by Shaun M.
Shaun M.

"Awesome Product very easy to use"

What do you like best?

The ease of use, just snapping the appliance into a NAS or VMware great! Easy navigation and guided selections and functionality made it so easy to learn the product. The ease of creating and running backups or replications so simple. I highly recommend this product.

What do you dislike?

Didn't find anything to dislike, It was very easy to implement and quick to learn and use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product easy to use

Data Center Backup up strategy

NAKIVO review by Rabbi Jason M.
Rabbi Jason M.

"Computer Backup is NECESSARY"

What do you like best?

It's so easy to use "out of the box" and I love recommending it to my clients. It's obviously essential to make sure your most valuable data is backed up and SAFE!

What do you dislike?

They need to work more on open source virtualization services, including Proxmox. There are a couple quirky parts to it on mobile, but overall it's a solid backup solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out. It's a very impressive solution in the data backup industry. It's easy to install and easy for the end user to implement. The migration of the services works well.

People are very shortsighted if they don't get computer backup and replication. When it saves people from data loss, my company looks brilliant for having them back up all their data.

NAKIVO review by Leon L.
Leon L.

"Reliable and easy to use product"

What do you like best?

I deployed the virtual machine version and found it easy to deploy and use out of the box. When I wanted to add additional storage is was seamless and "Just worked".

Recovering VM's was just as easy since its an online system, Nakivo takes care of all the details during the restore process.

What do you dislike?

I didn't really have any issues. The only frustrating thing was if you had to restore your v-center VM, the recovery process was a bit convoluted. However Support had a white paper covering it.

I wanted a reliable backup system that I could set and forget. Nakivo solves this for me and the notifications assure me everything is working.

NAKIVO review by Robert H.
Robert H.

"High value, entry-level backup software"

What do you like best?

It's really easy to setup and works great right out of the gate.

What do you dislike?

I've had it installed for about 6 months, and I haven't really found anything about Nakivo that I don't like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely do your due diligence, as there may be other products that fit your needs better. However, I recommend doing the trial and checking it out for yourself.

I have a small number of VMs on ESXi that I need to support. I don't have a need yet for a VM server farm, but I will soon. I wanted a product that is easy to maintain and less expensive than some of the other solutions on the market. Nakivo fit all of the requirements I had.

Learning about NAKIVO Backup & Replication?

* We monitor all NAKIVO Backup & Replication reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.