NationBuilder

NationBuilder gives organizers one smart system to grow their community and lead people to action.

Work for NationBuilder?

Learning about NationBuilder?

NationBuilder Reviews

Request More Information
Showing 28 NationBuilder reviews
NationBuilder review by <span>Kuan S.</span>
Kuan S.

"Great for starting out, but quick to outgrow"

What do you like best?

Good selection of out-of-the-box CRM functionality at the entry-level tier. Good social media activity tracking.

What do you dislike?

Cannot do triggered auto-generated email series (e.g., Welcome Series emails for new subscribers). Some workarounds necessary to create segments & filters for A/B testing at the Leader level tier. Requires use of their own proprietary platform for both website & CRM management - for example, cannot use Nationbuilder for website CMS, and a different CRM platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a nonprofit on a low-budget and starting out from scratch, Nationbuilder will offer you an ability to attain basic email, social media, online donation processing and website management capabilities. Once you start growing, you may find the platform clips your wings a little. Some of our international offices lament the difficulty of finding good, affordable developers familiar with Nationbuilder (e.g., Drupal talent much easier to find). Some pre-canned filters enable you to easily filter/segment audiences - if your criteria match the offered choices. If not, can be challenging to achieve the desired segmentation. Cannot embed videos in email.

Ability to perform basic email marketing, publish social media posts, manage basic website CMS, accept online donations.

Has enabled our nonprofit to quickly, and at low-cost, attain rudimentary supporter engagement & fundraising (i.e., CRM) capabilities.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about NationBuilder
NationBuilder review by <span>Jack W.</span>
Jack W.

"Amazing Tools & Accessible for Small Groups"

What do you like best?

You can do so much with the data! We just found out that we could export our supporters into google maps and cut a section of the map out, then create routes from there. We could easily organize petition and door-knocking routes with this built-in tool.

The pricing is based on the size of your organization and this makes it very accessible for a grassroots local group like ours. The level of organization and data exporting we can do allows us to answer questions we never would have known otherwise. It's most useful for differentiating between local and remote support, since we require local signatures on our petition only.

What do you dislike?

It's not straightforward or easy to learn right away. There are so many tools and so many ways to use it that you really need tunnel vision in the beginning. It's also tedious to enter information for the first time, one by one. But there is probably no way around that. Once you get over the initial learning curve (give it a week or two), the program starts doing the work for you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your data is currently in Excel spreadsheets, you should be able to import that directly to Nationbuilder when you first sign up- instead of having to do it all by hand like we did. You can also work with a scanner-to-spreadsheet if you have a lot of print documents.

Sometimes there are glitches with reading addresses if they aren't in a standardized format. Other times addresses are not recognized if they don't exist in Google's database. This is the main glitch we have encountered and we haven't found out all the reasons why it happens.

This helped us organize different newsletter lists by area code, supporter vs. petition signer, and volunteers. We were also able to organize volunteers by their interest type and commitment level, and used this to create a whole structure for our volunteer program.

Any tools relating to maps and geography helped us the most. We were able to pinpoint areas that we were missing and give more attention to that, as well as target the highest concentrated neighborhoods for more community organizing.

What Political Campaign solution do you use?

NationBuilder review by <span>Max K.</span>
Max K.

"NationBuilder is a powerful platform and I enjoy using it to create websites"

What do you like best?

I find NationBuilder's blank theme (based on Bootstrap) to be a fast and efficient way to get a full-featured website up and running for my clients. Using Liquid, a remarkably simple yet capable templating language, I can create custom signup pages, petitions, blogs, contests, email blasts, donation forms, etc., then teach my clients how to manage large amounts of data they will undoubtedly collect. They can then use NationBuilder's toolset to organize and target influencers which gives them the ability to grow supporters and advance their cause.

What do you dislike?

NationBuilder is quite expensive for small organizations to pay for and their staff provides lackluster customer support. My clients have told me this again and again. They need to provide value for their monthly cost or lower it altogether. On the other hand, they have been extremely helpful, to the extent of bending over backwards, in assisting me with questions related to design and development on their platform.

I continue to work with wonderful people who have great causes. NationBuilder gives my clients the digital infrastructure to do just about anything they can think of and not worry about supplementing their web-related needs with unconsolidated solutions. Everything they need is right there.

NationBuilder review by <span>Malcolm L.</span>
Malcolm L.

"Nationbuilder Review for Political Organizers"

What do you like best?

I love being able to effortlessly search through my database thanks to the efficient tag system. Certain tags are automatically given to people in my database when they take certain actions (like liking a Facebook post, for instance).

What do you dislike?

It is not always easy to handle duplicates - it would be good to be able to "batch update" all potential duplicates based on Nationbuilder's suggestions. Also, it would be good to be able to add a custom label to a field in the profiles, so that I could import data that does not have a preset field, without confusing my colleagues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a Nationbuilder expert to help you make the most of it.

It was not obvious as to what would be the best way to get out our vote with Nationbuilder. I learned that the most effective way to do this, given the limited time, is to function with lists, and to re-assign names to different GOTV phone canvassers. It is essential to plan this out properly with a Nationbuilder expert.

NationBuilder review by Administrator

"Great experience with Nationbuilder"

What do you like best?

It provides a single platform to review your social/online platforms and provides a direct connect (email/text) for up to 50000 people. It also comes with links to nationbuilder developers for your website at a fairly low cost. Analytics have helped us improve the way we post and use or social media.

What do you dislike?

It is very complicated to learn and understand and I do believe their customer support could be better.

It now provides a centralized platform replacing our scattered social medias under one umbrella. It has seen our social media grow and remain stable

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Graphic Design
Administrator in Graphic Design

"Nationbuilder helps nonprofits"

What do you like best?

I like how nationbuilder not only enables you to send emails and newsletters, but also helps you follow up with people who show interest in your organization. They make it easy to make lists and tags that help you group your supporters into more meaningful categories. Nationbuilder is fun and intuitive, and has helped us keep track of prospective supporters and create more meaningful relationships with existing supporters.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the website design. I think the way it requires you to upload photos on a separate interface from the text is clusmy and inefficient. I also think that making tables and editing tables is very difficult and should be improved. Finally, the formatting of text on web pages is extremely difficult to control, and sometimes not even the support staff can fix my problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for sending emails and newsletters! I'm still not sure if I like the website platform.

We're solving the problem of keeping track of our facebook fans and online friends. Now we can reach out to them and hopefully get them involved in different ways. We like how easy it is to see our followers all in one place.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Nationbuilder Review"

What do you like best?

I love that it is a swiss army solution. It does each thing good, but does everything together well. It excels in being able to take the datasets and activity across multiple platforms and bring them together (politicial data, geo-spatial data, social matching and data, etc).

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't say much. It has been at the heart of my professional digital life. I learned css, js, and html on it. I've executed campaigns that have reached hundreds of millions with it. I guess at the beginning I would have desired an easier way to get templates customized. Maybe something like a storefront for templates? Theme forest type of thing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you use it, use it. All of it. Don't just use it for a website, or for donations. it is designed to be integrated.

Executing digital campaigns for political and for-profit clients. Now I focus on the political. We create their websites, and execute their community activities.

NationBuilder review by <span>Erwin M.</span>
Erwin M.

"Great Experience with NationBuilder"

What do you like best?

I like best that the NationBuilder platform provides both a highly-capable CRM and a modern front-end CMS.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the features of the CMS like the WYSIWYG editor in HTML. NationBuilder's UX/UI isn't as friendly as Wordpress, navigating NationBuilder with a new user is terrible.

The CRM is very powerful and you can see how involved they are into the organization/business. You can track how much they are donating, whether or not they follow you on social media, what level of engagement they have within the organization and then seeing how these people are progressing through a funnel system.

NationBuilder review by <span>Sean W.</span>
Sean W.

"A great tool for organizing a campaign."

What do you like best?

I like that NationBuilder offers tools to identify and score the voters, and provides a rich API for integrating custom code or other tools. We used NationBuilder on a municipal campaign and it was easy to use even for non technical people, and allowed us to generate reports for everything from the lawn sign crew to door knockers.

Liquid templating is a game changer. You can make a custom experience for every user so that you can encourage the behaviour you want.

What do you dislike?

Web development is difficult. The theme editor is nice but we had many cases where one person stomped on another person's changes so we stopped using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to watch the videos that NationBuilder provides. The software is geared towards a particular way of doing things. If you follow those, the software is powerful and easy to use.

We needed a way to identify our voters and provide a web presence that integrated with our voter database. NationBuilder let us run a campaign that was acknowledged as the most technically sophisticated campaign that year.

NationBuilder review by <span>Alisha R.</span>
Alisha R.

"Fan of NationBuilder"

What do you like best?

NationBuilder is an affordable, easy to use website tool with an intuitive back end CRM making it our go-to for campaign websites. It's great to have a place to pull all of your campaign information (volunteers, donors, social media, email outreach, etc.) together at a fraction of the cost of alternative resources.

What do you dislike?

Initially it was somewhat daunting to learn how to manipulate the website and best understand the workflow but once understood its truly a great tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a place to bring all your campaign needs -website, campaign communications, contributions, and volunteers - into one place NationBuilder is the easiest and most effective place to do this.

We build our clients sites on NationBuilder almost exclusively and also use NationBuilder for our company website. It's been great to utilize the tools for outreach on the campaigns and also for our own company's outreach.

NationBuilder review by User in Civic & Social Organization
User in Civic & Social Organization

"Mediocre Technology & Customer Support"

What do you like best?

I like that NationBuilder connects our social media and email following with our donation database.

What do you dislike?

I dislike NationBuilder's customer service – you can't even setup a phone call to talk through problems, they'll only respond via email, or you can try their hotline for one-time assistance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Depending on your price point, I would consider another platform that offers better customer service, has more reliable technology (their site often experiences interruptions and/or crashes), and is working harder to adapt and grow as technology changes. NationBuilder is lacking some key features and doesn't seem to be adapting as quickly as our company needs.

We use NationBuilder to send out our email campaigns and to process our donations. It's been a good way to monitor donors and subscribers/followers.

NationBuilder review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"NationBuilder for Editorial/PR Content for Nonprofit"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, quickly able to upload content and post immediately, or schedule a post for future; Has social media integration; Allows for use of page templates.

What do you dislike?

There is no easy way to caption photos. We've come up with a long workaround involving pasting a bunch of code, but they could easily add a feature to simplify this. Other platforms have this feature.

Not very usable on mobile platforms.

We use it to organize our News and PR efforts. It's easy to insert images, either by uploading them or by linking to them.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Fund-Raising
Administrator in Fund-Raising

"Massive capacity but not perfect "

What do you like best?

I love the tagging feature on nationbuilder. It's something you have to carefully set up, but once you have a consistent system, it makes it easy to find who you're looking for. Their filter system is particularly easy to use and makes for fast list creation and management.

What do you dislike?

It does not function well as a CRM--not that it's required to, but it would be nice to have better conversation tracking capacity. There are a couple of issues when it comes to selecting audiences for emails that I wish would improve as well; it's not as easy as it could be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Complete the certification course

The primary problem we're solving is one typical of an early-stage startup: managing a rapidly growing list of contacts and strategically planning how to communicate with each one. One benefit of NB has been the ability to tag contacts with multiple tags to represent the multiple roles they play in our relationship with them.

NationBuilder review by <span>Michael S.</span>
Michael S.

"NationBuilder Works Great"

What do you like best?

It's inexpensive and easy to use, perfect for people who are just starting off, but also very powerful for more advanced users.

What do you dislike?

There are some minor quirks and issues. The field names are layout of settings are annoyingly inconsistent for different types of website pages. Not easy to respond to text messages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're using several different systems that don't link together, definitely go with NationBuilder. If you can afford an integrated system that is more expensive, then it's a more difficult choice.

Makes it easy to communicate with supporters and manage a website.

NationBuilder review by <span>Caitie B.</span>
Caitie B.

"Great for local political campaigns"

What do you like best?

Everything a campaign needs centralized in one place, which is great for local and state level campaigns with limited resources. The NationBuilder support team was great and helpful every step of the way.

What do you dislike?

Lack of customization options for web pages without coding.

Campaign management platform, from webpage and social media integration to donor management and volunteer management.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Veterinary
Administrator in Veterinary

"Almost perfect!"

What do you like best?

I love having the ability to sort, tag and keep notes on each person.

What do you dislike?

There is no A/B testing functionality, as of yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do a trial period to make sure that everything works and integrates with what you already have. Make sure your coworkers go through the trainings!

I am able to do targeted emailing and keep better donor records.

NationBuilder review by <span>Alison S.</span>
Alison S.

"Certified Architect and Expert on the NationBuilder Platform"

What do you like best?

It's an all-in-one platform with a website (or websites), fundraising, newsletters, analytics, social media geared to helping non-profits, grassroots campaigns, political organizations, etc. I love working wit the NationBuilder clientele.

What do you dislike?

Like any web platform, it has its bugs, its things it doesn't do as well as it could, but overall, it's solid

I don't know of any other platform that helps organizations create and inspire a community.

NationBuilder review by User in Fishery
User in Fishery

"Useful for communicating with members but could use improvements "

What do you like best?

Communicating with membership based on geographic area or tags given.

What do you dislike?

It is not very intuitive software, difficult to use the map feature and unable to send messages to multiple tags or lists at once.

We are able to communicate with members based on specific demographics, such as geographic areas or tags we have given.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Political Organization
Administrator in Political Organization

"Wonderful."

What do you like best?

Makes data maintenance very manageable. In addition, it makes data tagging and tracking and mass communication options very simple.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes slow to process. When exporting reports, all information in each individual file also processes, creating an massive excel file that required a great deal of tailoring if you are only searching for one or two criteria. Also, assigning memberships is sometimes tricky. If a payment is attached to a membership, the membership cannot be edited. You have to first change anything attached to the payment and then the membership next.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Schedule a training session with your website builder to learn the full potential of the program

Allows us to identify individual supporters more easily and accurately, outreach has improved tremendously. Fundraising progress is more easily analyzed and measured.

NationBuilder review by <span>Joe H.</span>
Joe H.

"I recommend NationBuilder."

What do you like best?

NationBuilder is a rich platform that allows a robust CMS experience. Very powerful and useful to maintain your contacts, donations, websites, information etc. As a NationBuilder Certified Expert, JibRunner.com can assist you with building your organization's presence on NationBuilder. www.jibrunner.com

What do you dislike?

Substantial learning curve for the uninitiated. Having a tech savvy consultant is critical. www,jibrunner.com

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please contact jibrunner.com for all your NationBuilder needs.

Voter and volunteer tracking and management. Significant increase in donations and volunteer sign-ups.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Public Policy
Administrator in Public Policy

"NationBuilder for Advocacy"

What do you like best?

I like the way you can integrate the database and advocate profiles seamlessly into an NB website.

What do you dislike?

I wish NB was more of an action platform as opposed to a database and development tool.

We are able to collect more specific data on our supporters to help with targeted communications.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Public Relations and Communications
Administrator in Public Relations and Communications

"Growing "

What do you like best?

The customer service is great. The software is easy to use and customize. I also like the fact the updates are continued to be made to make the software modern and consistent with the times. The text message system is awesome.

What do you dislike?

Somethings are not as easy to customize. The E-news software is lacking features to really allow full integration.

Great with connecting our volunteers with mentors.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Political Organization
Administrator in Political Organization

"NationBuilder - Simply the best in political software"

What do you like best?

NationBuilder does so much when it comes to political organizing between serving as a central database, website, collecting donations, etc. Also, they are very smart when it comes to signing contracts with large organizations to enable candidates to have the software for an affordable rate.

What do you dislike?

They do not have a mobile app or way to manage the website on your phone very well. This makes canvassing significantly tougher. You must purchase a separate software like Ecanvasser, which makes it very expensive.

We are now able to track and contact more voters efficiently.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management
Administrator in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Nationbuilder has a lot of potential but needs work"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to combine data with social media and donations.

What do you dislike?

Nationbuilder is not very user friendly, and isn't as customization as WordPress if you don't know how to code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It needs to be more user friendly, There needs to be an increase in diversity of email templates for communication, and a smoother process for creating post and uploading photo's.

Nationbuilder has allowed us at WE ACT to manage data and donations under one roof, which lowers our overhead and cost of business.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Former user for political campaigns"

What do you like best?

I think the price of this product is nice given the limited budgets on a political campaign.

What do you dislike?

I thought it was kind of difficult to use and the pages look really basic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like word press set up better.

Our clients need websites for campaigns that have to be live very quickly with an approval process and we also do not have our own web designer. So we look to the site to have better templates and customizable features for us.

NationBuilder review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Great for tracking and supporting in network web presence "

What do you like best?

Having the ability to track social media posts from other organizers working on similar projects

What do you dislike?

Confusing to use, annoying to update, works weirdly with out software, felt like additional work that may not have been useful in practice

supporting web presence of others with similar ideas

NationBuilder review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Not for Novice NationBuilder"

What do you like best?

It looked good and had a lot of nice features.

What do you dislike?

I couldn't do some basic things that I wanted to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its not for novices.

I was running for office and wanted to get more engagement from my community.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Fund-Raising
Administrator in Fund-Raising

"Nationbuilder - could be worse could be better"

What do you like best?

There are parts that are very simple but for a beginner, it is truly terrifying.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that there are no courses for beginning users.

Because of specific database limits, we are not using the gift giving options of Nationbuilder.

Learning about NationBuilder?

* We monitor all NationBuilder reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.