NationBuilder

NationBuilder gives organizers one smart system to grow their community and lead people to action.

Work for NationBuilder?

Learning about NationBuilder?

NationBuilder Reviews

Showing 26 NationBuilder reviews
NationBuilder review by <span>Kuan S.</span>
Kuan S.

Great for starting out, but quick to outgrow

What do you like best?

Good selection of out-of-the-box CRM functionality at the entry-level tier. Good social media activity tracking.

What do you dislike?

Cannot do triggered auto-generated email series (e.g., Welcome Series emails for new subscribers). Some workarounds necessary to create segments & filters for A/B testing at the Leader level tier. Requires use of their own proprietary platform for both website & CRM management - for example, cannot use Nationbuilder for website CMS, and a different CRM platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're a nonprofit on a low-budget and starting out from scratch, Nationbuilder will offer you an ability to attain basic email, social media, online donation processing and website management capabilities. Once you start growing, you may find the platform clips your wings a little. Some of our international offices lament the difficulty of finding good, affordable developers familiar with Nationbuilder (e.g., Drupal talent much easier to find). Some pre-canned filters enable you to easily filter/segment audiences - if your criteria match the offered choices. If not, can be challenging to achieve the desired segmentation. Cannot embed videos in email.

Ability to perform basic email marketing, publish social media posts, manage basic website CMS, accept online donations.

Has enabled our nonprofit to quickly, and at low-cost, attain rudimentary supporter engagement & fundraising (i.e., CRM) capabilities.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about NationBuilder
NationBuilder review by <span>Jack W.</span>
Jack W.

Amazing Tools & Accessible for Small Groups

What do you like best?

You can do so much with the data! We just found out that we could export our supporters into google maps and cut a section of the map out, then create routes from there. We could easily organize petition and door-knocking routes with this built-in tool.

The pricing is based on the size of your organization and this makes it very accessible for a grassroots local group like ours. The level of organization and data exporting we can do allows us to answer questions we never would have known otherwise. It's most useful for differentiating between local and remote support, since we require local signatures on our petition only.

What do you dislike?

It's not straightforward or easy to learn right away. There are so many tools and so many ways to use it that you really need tunnel vision in the beginning. It's also tedious to enter information for the first time, one by one. But there is probably no way around that. Once you get over the initial learning curve (give it a week or two), the program starts doing the work for you.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your data is currently in Excel spreadsheets, you should be able to import that directly to Nationbuilder when you first sign up- instead of having to do it all by hand like we did. You can also work with a scanner-to-spreadsheet if you have a lot of print documents.

Sometimes there are glitches with reading addresses if they aren't in a standardized format. Other times addresses are not recognized if they don't exist in Google's database. This is the main glitch we have encountered and we haven't found out all the reasons why it happens.

This helped us organize different newsletter lists by area code, supporter vs. petition signer, and volunteers. We were also able to organize volunteers by their interest type and commitment level, and used this to create a whole structure for our volunteer program.

Any tools relating to maps and geography helped us the most. We were able to pinpoint areas that we were missing and give more attention to that, as well as target the highest concentrated neighborhoods for more community organizing.

What Political Campaign solution do you use?

NationBuilder review by <span>Max K.</span>
Max K.

NationBuilder is a powerful platform and I enjoy using it to create websites

What do you like best?

I find NationBuilder's blank theme (based on Bootstrap) to be a fast and efficient way to get a full-featured website up and running for my clients. Using Liquid, a remarkably simple yet capable templating language, I can create custom signup pages, petitions, blogs, contests, email blasts, donation forms, etc., then teach my clients how to manage large amounts of data they will undoubtedly collect. They can then use NationBuilder's toolset to organize and target influencers which gives them the ability to grow supporters and advance their cause.

What do you dislike?

NationBuilder is quite expensive for small organizations to pay for and their staff provides lackluster customer support. My clients have told me this again and again. They need to provide value for their monthly cost or lower it altogether. On the other hand, they have been extremely helpful, to the extent of bending over backwards, in assisting me with questions related to design and development on their platform.

I continue to work with wonderful people who have great causes. NationBuilder gives my clients the digital infrastructure to do just about anything they can think of and not worry about supplementing their web-related needs with unconsolidated solutions. Everything they need is right there.

NationBuilder review by <span>Malcolm L.</span>
Malcolm L.

Nationbuilder Review for Political Organizers

What do you like best?

I love being able to effortlessly search through my database thanks to the efficient tag system. Certain tags are automatically given to people in my database when they take certain actions (like liking a Facebook post, for instance).

What do you dislike?

It is not always easy to handle duplicates - it would be good to be able to "batch update" all potential duplicates based on Nationbuilder's suggestions. Also, it would be good to be able to add a custom label to a field in the profiles, so that I could import data that does not have a preset field, without confusing my colleagues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a Nationbuilder expert to help you make the most of it.

It was not obvious as to what would be the best way to get out our vote with Nationbuilder. I learned that the most effective way to do this, given the limited time, is to function with lists, and to re-assign names to different GOTV phone canvassers. It is essential to plan this out properly with a Nationbuilder expert.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Graphic Design
Administrator in Graphic Design

Nationbuilder helps nonprofits

What do you like best?

I like how nationbuilder not only enables you to send emails and newsletters, but also helps you follow up with people who show interest in your organization. They make it easy to make lists and tags that help you group your supporters into more meaningful categories. Nationbuilder is fun and intuitive, and has helped us keep track of prospective supporters and create more meaningful relationships with existing supporters.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the website design. I think the way it requires you to upload photos on a separate interface from the text is clusmy and inefficient. I also think that making tables and editing tables is very difficult and should be improved. Finally, the formatting of text on web pages is extremely difficult to control, and sometimes not even the support staff can fix my problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for sending emails and newsletters! I'm still not sure if I like the website platform.

We're solving the problem of keeping track of our facebook fans and online friends. Now we can reach out to them and hopefully get them involved in different ways. We like how easy it is to see our followers all in one place.

NationBuilder review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

Nationbuilder Review

What do you like best?

I love that it is a swiss army solution. It does each thing good, but does everything together well. It excels in being able to take the datasets and activity across multiple platforms and bring them together (politicial data, geo-spatial data, social matching and data, etc).

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't say much. It has been at the heart of my professional digital life. I learned css, js, and html on it. I've executed campaigns that have reached hundreds of millions with it. I guess at the beginning I would have desired an easier way to get templates customized. Maybe something like a storefront for templates? Theme forest type of thing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you use it, use it. All of it. Don't just use it for a website, or for donations. it is designed to be integrated.

Executing digital campaigns for political and for-profit clients. Now I focus on the political. We create their websites, and execute their community activities.

Learning about NationBuilder?

* We monitor all NationBuilder reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.