(85 reviews)

Nessus is a vulnerability management solution.

Work for Nessus?

Learning about Nessus?

Nessus Reviews

Ask Nessus a Question
Showing 85 Nessus reviews
Nessus review by Lidia  M.
Lidia M.

"Vulnerability and remediation management"

What do you like best?

Nessus offers enormous flexibility in how it tracks vulnerabilities across the network. The scan is multiplatform, it can be executed in local, network objectives or as an agent. You can launch the scan from outside the firewall, which offers the real visibility of the company. The implementation and configuration of Nessus is very simple, we like to use the agents to create groups of scans and in this way automate the process. Everything works very well and the creation of reports is perfect to keep track of remediations. I like that we can do the compliance analyzes.

What do you dislike?

We had a problem with a client where the requirements to deploy Nessus could not be applied, the Tenable team has not yet been able to give us a strong response to resolve the situation. The information provided to perform the remediation is not the best possible, I would like to improve on new updates a better tool for this. The automatic updates of the supplements should be more consecutive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Nessus and Tenable because with them we have been able to establish an important service within our company. It is an excellent tool to scan objectives and present reports.

With Nessus we carry out the vulnerability and compliance scan, to then carry out the remediation cycles in our clients' networks. With Tenable's enormous base of knowledge and threats, we make sure to attend to every detail that could be a cause of attack on the network. Thanks to the agents we can also evaluate the host in particular to have a more granular scheme..

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Nessus
Nessus review by Victor M.
Victor M.

"Nessus Experiencie"

What do you like best?

What I like most about Nessus is that it is a very complete tool when analyzing vulnerabilities and policy compliance in corporate networks, previously I had used Qualys, but the truth is that with Nessus we obtained better results because through this We detected a greater number of vulnerabilities and we were able to remedy them

What do you dislike?

The truth is that when it comes to nessus there is little that I dislike, because it is a powerful tool, you can not only detect vulnerabilities in the network, but you can also scan phones, web pages, databases, among many Other options

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend the use of nessus to all my colleagues focused on the part of cyber security, because this tool will allow them to detect and remedy all the security breaches existing in their networks and in the networks of their clients

Thanks to nessus we have been able to provide an excellent service to our customers in terms of cyber security, because it is the tool we have used to make the vulnerability scans and subsequently check remediation, we have served a couple of clients abroad which have been satisfied with our work, but this work has been done in the most efficient way due to the complete and simple to use that results in nessus

What Vulnerability Scanner solution do you use?

Nessus review by Héctor Joel B.
Héctor Joel B.

"Nessus, a great tool for vulnerability analysis."

What do you like best?

Nessus has become one of the main tools within our organization thanks to its powerful performance when performing vulnerability analysis is an infrastructure, the management of this software is accompanied by good documentation provided by your portal, the team of support provides formidable support. Its different types of scanning allow you to have an audit or a better project proposed with more complete results.

What do you dislike?

Until now there is not something that can be placed as negative of this tool, every time they include some updates they are achieving the objetives with this powerful tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in search of a good security tool for your infrastructure or to carry out exhaustive analysis that allows you to determine the vulnerabilities of your organization, Nessus must be within your main applications.

Its application in the cloud is more complete, Tenable keeps its products at the forefront, so I recommend you to take a look at all its services.

We are currently looking for vulnerabilities in our organization and in a deployment phase with other clients in order to improve security in their infrastructure, it is very important to have this type of audit and have the willigness to develop different projects with the tools that contains Nessus.

Nessus review by Jon K.
Jon K.

"Good overall product with room for improvement"

What do you like best?

Nessus includes some good functionality to enable integration with a larger suite of vulnerability management systems and help facilitate some light automation. The performance is generally consistent and the interface is intuitive and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The plugins are not always updated in a timely fashion, which results in unnecessary false positives and time spent researching and documenting. The API functionality is tied to a Tenable.io subscription, limiting automation and integration to the more expensive subscription model, and the accompanying analytics are superficial and don't tie to good key risk indicators.

As a consultant, I'm helping my clients assess where they may have shortfalls in their vulnerability management, patch management, and system hardening programs. The overall ease of use and ability to deploy remote virtual systems allows us to work with clients without being on site the entire time, improving our efficiency and controlling costs.

Nessus review by Taina Coromoto D.
Taina Coromoto D.

"My experience working with Nessus"

What do you like best?

In my experience using and testing the Nessus application, I can say that its main function of detecting threats and vulnerabilities in the system is excellent, as well as the development of its reports so that later we can make the corresponding improvements in computer security. It is that this application allows me and other colleagues to use it simultaneously through the multi-user platform. Nessus detects weaknesses in the web server, service weaknesses, OWASP vulnerabilities, in applications, as well as detects viruses and potentially unwanted software.

Audits in systems, scans SCADA systems, integrated devices, as well as ICS applications, and multiple networks such as IPv4, IPv6 and hybrid networks. Nessus also allows you to prioritize the remediation actions and recommendations to tune the scans, as well as to program in an automated way the number of daily scans.

What do you dislike?

This application has many positive things and really seeing the number of tools and utilities that it has for the fulfillment of my tasks of computer security. What little negative I can comment is the price of the tool, and the limited space it has in the cloud.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nessus is an excellent application for detecting vulnerabilities of all kinds that is widely recommended.

With nessus we have managed to improve the quality of our systems and their computer security, decreasing and detecting a greater number of vulnerabilities that, thanks to the timely detection of Nessus, we have been able to remedy. Our corporate clients are very happy with their improvement is a matter of security. Now it is easier to achieve quality work.

Nessus review by Ivan M.
Ivan M.

"The absolute standard for vulnerability scanning"

What do you like best?

The scanner is very easy to use, easy to deploy, easy to set up and easy to license. When using the scanner properly (placed in the subnet you need to scan and scanning with credentials), it does its job just fine. Verification with compliance standards is also very easy too, and comes preloaded with the most used standards and even those which are less used widely (such as federal government ones).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the remediation information aren't accurate enough for a customer to execute. I understand this is just a scanner and not a remediation tool, but the remediation information over the vulnerabilities found definitely could be better.

Some vulnerabilities need to actually be tested for being true and since this is just a vulnerability scanning tool and not an exploitation tool, you might have some false positives around. I know Tenable does a great effort to make sure the tool is fully accurate, but sometimes it can't be done their way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read the documentation when using the tool. Most of the support questions we get as reseller are mostly topics that are well documented, both in Tenable Support Portal and Tenable University. Every customer has access to Tenable University (from Tenable Support Portal) and I recommend to your employees to go through all of it before attempting to use the tool or ask for support. I also recommend that you understand this is not an exploitation and/or remediation tool, seen from that standpoint, the tool is very useful!

Standard compliance is easily manageable through this scanner. So, when it's an industry requirement to be compliant, this scanner helps greatly. Depending on your network setup and industry, you can be fully compliant in weeks, not months as with other tools.

Nessus review by Jose Geronimo H.
Jose Geronimo H.

"I wanted to share my excellente opinión and experience with Nessus"

What do you like best?

In my opinion and experience I can say that Nessus is an application that has a great number of tools, which aims to maintain and protect the integrity and security of the equipment and operating systems of the vulnerabilities that exist in the network. Virus and other vulnerabilities are easy to use and develop in all the senses, as well as, unlike other applications, it has not thrown false positive. It develops constant explorations on the equipment and systems, as well as that it is constantly updated, which keeps it at the forefront of security in terms of networks and systems.

What do you dislike?

What I did not like until the moment of nessus is its technical support that only runs in English. To have access to all your functions you must purchase the payment package, the application is heavy but it works well. The results reports are sometimes difficult to interpret, and more when you start using the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to improve the security levels of your company, you should definitely acquire Nessus, at first your understanding and use may be a bit complex, but, when you have more experience with the application, you will be able to observe the great safety benefits and costs that they will bring your computer system.

Through Nessus we have been able to implement a larger number of scans and vulnerability detection within the organization and operating systems and systems, which has enabled us to improve our security system and systems. This has allowed us to greatly increase our capacity and technical support to our clients, who are becoming more satisfied with the service we are providing.

Nessus review by Daniel R.
Daniel R.

"libre de amenazas con nessus"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to talk about Nessus when it comes to vulnerabilities because it is a program that completely differentiates the rest. What I like most is that many other vulnerability scanning software show many false positives that end up not being a threat but a simple lack of common and current configuration, also performs a detailed analysis of inputs and outputs of different devices within your database.

What do you dislike?

in the good period that I have using professional Nessus as an anti-virus tool I do not think anything disgusts me about the program, since I consider as I said before that it differs from other brands that do not work in the best way, you just have to update and exit more versions so that the clinetes like us that we identify with the brand will have the best possible update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

f you want a software that tracks all kinds of malicious information on your computer, it's time to use Nessus. It adapts to your budget and is a powerful tool that provides security.

within the company are resolved without any different things, for example every time I entered a pendrive or a USB device into my active computer this program or the same automatically analyzes the device that is entering covering a little of the backs that do not think that I could have affected the computer with some possible virus, it is also essential to know that within the company we use it as a protection mechanism to analyze different risks that exist within the system as it usually happens in different computers

Nessus review by Jadimir C.
Jadimir C.

"Nessus, the great security solution for computer systems"

What do you like best?

In this review about Nessus I can comment, in the first instance, its positive characteristics. It is a very useful and novel tool that, through its constant scans, it is able to analyze and study in a very efficient way the vulnerabilities and possible threats of the systems of the organization. In addition, its application is constantly updated, improving its potential, its advantages, and reducing errors or things to improve your system. Without a doubt this application is super effective to protect computer systems.

What do you dislike?

The things that displease me about this application are very few, so I reviewed it with the maximum rating, but within the things that can be improved are programming within the system of the application a greater number of languages. With this the user can use the application with the language of their preference. At the beginning it is complicated to use all the tools that Nessus provides due to its interface, but I have faith that, due to its constant updates, these negative things change.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend to the users to contract this application, since, through it, it will be able to improve the levels of security of the systems of the organization in which it is part, reducing costs and improving the performance and safety standards.

Through Nessus, the organization of which I am part has been able to support and increase its security levels, surpassing the standards of its competitors, obtaining greater confidence from its clients, and reducing its administrative costs, in systems and in security matters.

Nessus review by kimberly R.
kimberly R.

"with nessus you solve your vulnerabilities instantly"

What do you like best?

For a long time, this application has been used to scan the vulnerabilities from my home, when it joins the work because it is a heir that analyzes and detects almost immediately the failures that are posted on your computer in a matter of minutes. It is also an application that is easily installed

What do you dislike?

there are few details that I do not like about nessus the truth, as every scanning application has its positive and negative things, however it would be ideal for the complement package to be updated constantly since many times the risks found are getting higher and higher. with an updated platform could prevent those problems. I would like the costs to use the new descaarga were lower.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I said before, I have been using nessus for a couple of years and I recommend downloading it not only because it allows you to analyze the risks on your computer, but it is easy to install and use. Do not look for another scanner that turns out to only give false positives.

Try it and you will see!

Although at work they have little time using Nessus, the truth is that it provides the security and confidence it needs to be able to have confidence in the hardware and software that may be necessary for peace of mind. by means of pen-drive inputs inserted in the computer. So the worker takes into account that he must remove it immediately to avoid damaging the work machine.

Nessus review by Albildo jose W.
Albildo jose W.

"My experience about Nessus."

What do you like best?

In my opinion, the characteristics and qualities that I like and em seem quite useful at the business level of the Nessus application are, in the first instance, how complete it turns out to be to analyze the vulnerabilities and the compliance of the policies in the corporate networks, obtaining better results than with other applications.

What do you dislike?

In my opinion it is very difficult to write about the disadvantages of this application, because it is a powerful tool, not only can detect vulnerabilities in the network, but can also scan phones, web pages, databases, among others. Many other options, but among them are that you do not have at your disposal a variety of languages for international users, the complexity of its interface for the efficient development of its functions and the weight of the application in the equipment if it does not have high standards. of performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend to users and companies that are observing this opinion to acquire Nessus, since this tool will allow them to detect and remedy all the security breaches existing in their networks and in the networks of their clients, improving the quality of their service, efficiency of the organization and allowing to reduce costs.

Through the use of the Nessus application, the company has provided an excellent service to our clients in terms of cyber security, since it is the tool that we have used to carry out the vulnerability analysis and, subsequently, verify the remediation. So in terms of security and protection of threats and future threats to the team and system of your organization, I recommend acquiring this application.

Nessus review by jose gregorio h.
jose gregorio h.

"I leave here my comment about nessus"

What do you like best?

With so many threats that are found today on the web there are multiple applications on cyber security but Nessus specializes in searching, analyzing and then throwing an analysis of the vulnerabilities that are in your system, also evaluates by establishing audits in different configurations of the system. We can also verify if through this software this application complies with the established parameters required by the user to protect the network. It also analyzes vulnerable ports of entry that have some threat such as websites, usb.

What do you dislike?

Nessus could be improved in the following way. They should intensify a search for different sites of the computer and also shorten the time of that analysis to be the search in a shorter period. It should contain more virus detection techniques and throw the alerts immediately to prevent contamination of your computer. when entering a web site, turn on an alert that indicates that this page is not suitable for browsing. update to other search methods by means of other advanced systems

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need software that is responsible for scanning your computer and look for possible threats that you may have in your operating system, use Nessus, it provides a reliable and effective service. also it is not complicated its use is an easy tool to unload and install

With Nessus within our company, we anticipate that any user who works inside the installations could damage your computer by grabbing a virus that could harm your work. also with this we avoid more administrative costs since you would have to hire a technician who has to repair the damage caused. if we take into account this, the advantages are that with this software we provide the necessary inforatic security that each user needs to work with comfort

Nessus review by Franco H.
Franco H.

"Here I describe my experience with nessus"

What do you like best?

nessus professional is an effective program that performs a scan and exhaustive search of any type of vulnerability that you may have on your computer. In addition to this you get an analysis of results that have been achieved through this scan knowing the possible threats that may be within your operating system. besides being a tool that you can use at work or in your home in a particular way, it is easy to install and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Nessus is a program that simply detects the vulnerabilities that may exist in the web, in your database or in any input device such as USB ports, however, it could be improved the realization of a deeper search and with detailed time for see if any infiltrated virus that can sneak into your computer, besides that could not only issue alerts when scanning a vulnerability but also that you can remove it from your computer immediately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

my recommendation for companies as for private individuals who want to be part of Nessus for your home network is that it is a simple program to use, avoid possible irreparable damage inside your pc or laptop and is responsible for keeping your computer protected from any simple threat that There is within the cybernetic world.

There are many problems that we solve with nessus,

1.- prevents any worker through a USB port from polluting the equipment with a virus.

2.- When cleaning the computer it avoids a possible failure in the pc, so that it would not be necessary to call the expert in system and networks of the company to solve this fault

3-. It cheapens the costs of the company because it would not be necessary to hire specialized technicians in computer format for any vulnerability that is found if you do not have this software installed.

Nessus review by José Gregorio H.
José Gregorio H.

"my opinion about nessus aplicacion"

What do you like best?

The best thing about the Nessus application is that it is a tool used to analyze vulnerabilities through a network evaluation system, audits of system configurations and, in addition, we can verify if it agrees with the compliance of these audits.

On the other hand it cleans and indicates in the system the detection of viruses in the system that can damage the system in a way and complies with the protocols established by the software when searching for important data or documents.

What do you dislike?

There are not many things that I dislike about this application because it allows you to detect some type of problem or vulnerability that you have on the network, but it provides a scanner that allows you to enter the web site or database to alert you about possible threats that you may encounter.

that would throw more alerts about any possible threat that is inside the intranet and that you would constantly issue updates of this application to have a cybernetic improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

is a 100% application that I recommend its use for all people who care about cyber security, as this tool will allow them to detect in time and solve all the security problems that exist in their corporate and domestic networks.

Easy to use and manageable

Through Nessus, we systematically avoid any user that works in the company, either entering from a computer or a laptop, may be harmed when entering a network where they find any type of virus or threat that could affect their computer or work. using this application we realize that it is the best way to be protected from so many threats that can be found within the cyber world.

Nessus review by Administrator

"Nessus An Excellent Tool For The Vulnerability Management Process Of Any Company"

What do you like best?

Nessus it’s an excellent tool for the vulnerability management process of any company. Its super easy to use and implement on any network, and the tenable university and the community it’s a plus that make it even easier. There are many way how to export the result of any scan, but the best are in HTML and PDF, because are easy to understand and explain to any person. I really like it and going to continue using it.

What i like the most about the product is that it was really easy to implement and use.

What do you dislike?

I think that the reports need to improve

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make a plan of what you want to achieve with nessus before you buy it and have an updated inventory of assets present on the network of your company

Nessus is helping us to remedy all the vulnerabilities in our enviroment, showing us vulnerabilities that we didn`t know that were present.

Nessus even help us to be in compliance with the CIS 20 Standard.

"Nessus review"

What do you like best?

Cost is the biggest factor, the functionality is on par with other commercial solutions but at a reasonable price point and licensing model. The solution is also extremely stable. The information presented in reports is easy to understand and can be put infront of a non-technical audience, a junior admin, network engineer or audit team.

What do you dislike?

Nessus professional lacks robust data management and compression, scan history can grow rapidly out of control. We have been forced to implement so scripting outside of the tool to perform housekeeping activities that would be better served natively.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate what you plan to do with the information you receive from the tool, prioritize information that is highest risk and be sure to get support from you business to move toward integrating Nessus into your risk programs life cycle

Nessus is our primary risk analysis tool and is the foundation of how we demonstrate risk mitigation to our Clients. We can rapidly get Client security buy in to go live once we present the Nessus compliance and vulnerability reports. By reducing the time to get Client sign off we are able to realize revenue sooner.

Nessus review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"De Facto Standard in Vulnerbility Scanners - Best Vulnerbility Scanner for the price."

What do you like best?

Nessus Professional is an Intelligent and highly customizable security product. Our team gets very accurate scan results. The security plugins are always current. The compliance templates provided can be customized to reflect the our regulatory and security needs.

What do you dislike?

Improve the Web GUI:

The Nessus Web GUI does take some getting used to. Additionally, advanced configuration settings could be better organized and contextual help should be added / improved when navigating the web GUI. More report customization would aid in providing better management reporting. Disk space utilization and system health should be added to the web GUI as this would help to alert administrators and users if and when system logs require pruning or to proactively clean old scan jobs that are consuming disk space.

Security Compliance:

The security compliance templates are very useful but the compliance templates could be expanded to cover more vendor products and the compliance templates should be maintained at current levels to reflect changing compliance standards.

Mobile App:

There are times when I am away from my desk and we would like to have a mobile version that would run on a portable platform such as a Android phone or tablet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Must be comfortable with customizations. Should have a strong understanding of networking technologies.

With respect to patch management, we use Nessus to validate new server and network appliance builds. As a government organization, we are required to adhere to security policies pertaining to security compliance and cyber security. To us, Nessus definitely fills are security compliance needs.

"Nessus Professional"

What do you like best?

The best thing about Nessus is how indepth the scans can be. Not only are they indepth, there are multiple different scans preset for convenience. Not only that there are a ton of customization options for reports, scheduling, notifications, the type of scan and even the plugins.

What do you dislike?

Migrating Nessus to a new machine isn't the easiest thing to do as there are some restrictions but after doing them a couple of times, I've gotten used to it. Depending on how many scans you have on your original build, migration can take a long time to complete. If something goes wrong, all of that time would have been wasted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in need of a vulnerability scanner, Nessus is definitely the way to go. The ease of customization and the level of support you get from Nessus makes this the best option.

A big benefit with Nessus is that we are able to pinpoint security risks within our own sites and servers on a monthly basis and escalate to the proper teams within our organization. The scans can be setup to send emails of the pdf file of the scan report to individuals. This allows the proper people are receiving the results as soon as the scans are complete.

Nessus review by Administrator

"Great tool for self-assessments and scanning new deployments"

What do you like best?

Great interface, portable (I run it on a laptop), and the reporting format has been great for developing a methodology with which I can track my organization's security posture over time.

What do you dislike?

Very little to dislike here. I think the only thing I'd like to see is a summary interface that does some of my reporting work for me, instead of me having to review the reports and create totals for each vulnerability category (critical, high, etc.).

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should consider this a must-have in your security toolbox. You can use it to self-assess as well as a check against third party assessments.

I can scan new systems before they go into production, I can monitor our security posture over time as new threats emerge and we deal with existing ones, and I have used the data from the reports to track our security for over four years running now.

Nessus review by Michael Angelo I.
Michael Angelo I.

"Scan like you always care"

What do you like best?

Nessus always on top of my list for enterprise vulnerability scanner. The way it discover assets and identify correct OS information, vulnerabilities assessment, with a lot of features blades like compliance auditing, mobile, malware/botnet detection. I also love the tennable.io product

What do you dislike?

Not at much to disliked all features are great and they are in track providing ways to improve their product sets. I would say pricing but at the end of the day price is right on what you can get from the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nessus is expensive true but your money is worth it. You can try to play on their trial products like tenable professional, IO, and tenable manager.

Like any other enterprise determining the hole on the network thru vulnerability assessment and passing compliance requirements.

"Nessus Vulnerability Scanner"

What do you like best?

The Nessus vulnerability scanner from Tenable offers excellent vulnerability and compliance scanning coverage. The API offers good flexibility for developing custom solutions. Coupled with other Tenable products, such as Tenable.io, SecurityCenter, or NessusManager provides centralized management and reporting.

What do you dislike?

There are some issues when trying to create minimalist scan policies for host discovery purposes. For example, there is an SNMP plugin that always runs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Nessus scanner by itself is a great tool and has a large number of plugins and vulnerability coverage. The basic reporting is acceptable but is much more robust and customizable when coupled with other products.

Nessus is one of the tools that we use within our vulnerability management program. It has helped us ensure patches are being deployed in a timely fashion, find systems vulnerable to specific issues, and ensure system builds are compliant with our security baselines.

Nessus review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Powerful Vulnerability assessmnent tool at a more than reasonable cost"

What do you like best?

Speed! I can get accurate results from a Nessus scan much faster than I get from other products costing 1000% more. The interface is extremely intuitive and I can configure a scan quickly compared to my other tools. It is my 'Go To' system when a client requests a scan to validate patches of config changes.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike has nothing to do with the tool itself. I dislike that my manager feels the cost of the tool is indicative of its overall worth and reputation.

I use Nessus Pro to complement our vulnerability assessment program and to validate detections in order to determine false positives. I consider this tool as an invaluable asset in hardening our PCI and DMZ environments.

Nessus review by Administrator

"Nessus is a top tier scanner that is easy to use and effective at finding vulnerabilities."

What do you like best?

Ease of use. The application is easy to setup and use with canned templates that get you scanning for what you need to find. The scan results are among the most accurate I have seen which is welcome in this day and age.

What do you dislike?

The scan results could be easier to read. Sometimes I find the scan results to be a bit difficult to read with the current setup. However after you play around with the settings a little and get used to the format it is not an issue.

For me vulnerability threat management and tracking installed patches is the primary use of Nessus. The benefits of using Nessus is getting a well priced top tier application for a fair price.

Nessus review by Clark M.
Clark M.

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

I like the user friendliness of the interface

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure I like the new vulnerability grouping that shows for each host (purple color)

We mostly use Nessus to see what known security patches have not been applied yet. This allows us to enforce patching of all systems (Windows and Linux). This has allowed us to have a monthly dashboard highlighting vulnerable systems and has enabled us to ensure that all systems have all known security patches within a 60 day window.

Nessus review by Christopher K.
Christopher K.

"Nessus is the gold standard for vulnerability scanning."

What do you like best?

Nessus offers great support for the platform and the documentation is thorough for an easy implementation and configuration.

What do you dislike?

The pricing model has changed and some features now require a larger financial commitment or maintaining older versions, which is obviously not desirable for a security and compliance tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely read the documentation before you get started, it will save a lot of time and make sure everything is configured correctly.

Nessus allows us to set and forget the majority of our vulnerability scans and provides all the details we need to ensure our environments are not opening drastic new security holes. This allows us to focus on more critical security issues, while also maintaining our compliance information without user interaction.

Nessus review by Internal Consultant
Internal Consultant

"Great for Compliance"

What do you like best?

I like that you can set the scans up manual and have them scheduled. I love the customer support.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that you cannot scan applications or webservers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I WOULD try to figure out how to have Nessus run vulnerability scans on software, if that is possible. If I could improve Nessus I would find a way to make it take up less band with when doing network scans, find a way to get it to scan different types of software and also, get it to scan webservers. Nessus for me needs to keep staying in compliance with the IRS publication 1075 and NIST 800-53 series. If Nessus can do that then it will continue to hold its excessive valuableness. Federal guidelines are the way that I would go if I were a Nessus developer/tester.

scanning applications and webservers. I like the reporting tools and compliance validity of the compliance control sets via the same set the IRS uses. That makes it definitely more valuable than using any other vulnerability tool. This tool tells you what controls are missing as well as what controls need to have improvement and if you use the same files as the IRS uses you are sure to pass any safeguard review/audit. I have my security administrator use it just because of that reason. I wish Nessus could run scans on different types of software but I'm not sure how that is even possible. If there were any improvements to be made it would be on webservers and applications. However, if your just checking your audits against safeguard reviews, this will get you passed.

Nessus review by User in Utilities
User in Utilities

"Tenable Nessus Professional Review"

What do you like best?

Nessus Professional has many wonderful features. Some these features include the ability to view vulnerability information related to system that reside on your network. It gives you information about how to remediate these reviews. We use Nessus in an active and passive manner. We do have ICS based systems that do no work well with active scans. In these instances we can set up a passive Nessus scanner and collect the information that we need. It is also helps to in providing a secondary means to identify and verify the patching of our systems.

What do you dislike?

We use Nessus Professional as a part of our Tenable SC CV suite. This can be a little difficult to get up and running the first time it is set up. There are multiple virtual appliances that have to bet set up and synced together and if there is ever a problem, sometimes this it can take some time to track down which particular component is the issue. If Nessus Professional is used as standalone product, this isn't an issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to spend some time on the front end designing and setting this up properly to avoid headaches down the road.

It has helped in reducing cost associated with working individually on each device we have. We trust Nessus to perform automated tasks that would normally take hours on end to perform this type of audits by hand. So with that, we have seen a reduction in labor costs and time.

"Nessus Vulnerability scanner"

What do you like best?

Nessus allows scan for different kinds of vulnerabilities as denials of service, default passwords, misconfigurations. It is supported on a lot of operating systems and platforms.It also has an evaluation trial that helps you to decide if it is good for you or not. I think is great for big companies.

What do you dislike?

It cant manage all scans from one location. So doesn't have centralized management. It doesn't provide roles based access. It doesn’t seem to offer long term solutions and the support it is no so fats.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare with others products and check the requirements you need so you are sure Nessus apply to your environment

Vulnerabilities scanner. Protection. Security

Nessus review by Administrator

"Great tool...simple, intuitive, and complete"

What do you like best?

Nessus is my go-to scanner. It's simple to use...has a well laid out user interface...and results are easy to digest. The references withing the vulnerability findings are immensely helpful to support staff in helping them to understand the findings and their path to remediation.

What do you dislike?

Not really much to dislike here. Price is right. Ease of use is great. Only thing I'd recommend is for Tenable to step up their game with Support. Their support process is one of the least engage-able of all the tools I use. Much more feels like consumer level support rather than enterprise.

Recommendations to others considering the product

none at this time

Verifying patch management process is the primary solution we are solving. Is also great at asset discovery. We also find the scanner very useful when a new high priority vulnerability comes out that the business wants us to quickly verify our exposure to.

Nessus review by Administrator

"Nessus is a great tool for vulnerability scanning"

What do you like best?

Nessus is a pretty good and easy tool to use. It offers a variety of ways to scan for the latest vulnerabilities and also lots of reports for all of your needs. Also another important asset of Nessus is that if the program crashes for any reason, there is a knowledge base with the answers.

What do you dislike?

I don't really have much I dislike. Only thing is possibly add more reporting features and ways to fix the problem.

I am trying to use Nessus to satisfy PCI requirements on a quarterly basis. It also assist us in finding out internal vulnerabilities.

Nessus review by Administrator

"Industry standard for a reason"

What do you like best?

Nessus is the standard for a reason - it's flexible, extensible, and well supported. The plugin update system works silently and flawlessly, and helps us not have to write our own scripts constantly.

What do you dislike?

The recent changes to move on-prem scanners to a single user and remove API functionality has been super challenging.

We are solving for risk analysis and patch compliance with Nessus. Automating the scans and having the ability to write our own compliance module has made it super easy to spot trends and get accurate remediation plans drawn up.

Nessus review by Matt B.
Matt B.

"Excellent Scanning Engine"

What do you like best?

The interface is intuitive and easy to navigate.

What do you dislike?

The price tag is not unreasonable, but does still present a hurdle for small companies with limited budget for security software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In my opinion, Nessus is about as close to industry standard as possible. They really set the bar for others to follow in usability, clean interface, and acceptance by the industry as a whole.

The ease of use and simplicity of setup has provided an opportunity to quickly get our internal vulnerability management program up and running with exceptional results.

Nessus review by Carvell W.
Carvell W.

"Knowing your Vulnerability "

What do you like best?

The ease of completing vulnerability scans in a automated fashion is priceless. It helps us to zero in on the critical issues and also gives details on how to get it resolved. It makes server patching a walk in the park.

What do you dislike?

For me there is not much to be disliked, the feature set is great. The pricing could be a bit better but at the end of the day, the application is doing what it should be doing.

We look into computer vulnerability. Getting our network secured from network threats.

Nessus review by Chaitanya T.
Chaitanya T.

"Excellent Vulnerable Identification Tool for Web and Network "

What do you like best?

Excellent Scanner for Web and Network with the remedies on how to protect from that vulnerabilities

What do you dislike?

There a no cons in this Nessus Software except the limitations of the usage

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent scanner to perform Vulnerability Analysis on Network and Web Applications

Conducting Vulnerability Assessments on the web sites and networks

Nessus review by User

"Better than most"

What do you like best?

I like the plugin feed, it is very robust. I also like the ability to upload compliance audit files directly from Tenable.

What do you dislike?

I don't feel like the scanners do a great job of compliance checks, I prefer to use ePO instead of the Nessus scanner to obtain the credential data I need. Could be operator error though ;)

We are currently resolving FISMA scorecards with the use of our scanner as well as web testing certain applications that are coming into our environment

"Nessus works well"

What do you like best?

The amount/variety of plugins that cover just about everything you need to scan for, both new/0 day threats and past.

What do you dislike?

Reporting could be better in Nessus Pro (I don't have exposure to other levels to see if there is better reporting)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure the reporting matches your needs, otherwise it's great

Making sure systems are updated with the necessary patches. A nice benefit is seeing the biggest bang for our buck (deploy one patch will fix 80% of critical issues for example)

Nessus review by Gregory M.
Gregory M.

"outstanding capabilities"

What do you like best?

Leading the industry, Tenable Networks and their Nessus vulnerability scanning tool uncover countless issues missed by other products. Steup up to the enterprise product and you'll get assistance with patch management, integration with management and reporting tools and the ability to generate workloads, tickets and other notifications thru APIs. The Tenable eco-system WILL make it possible to truly protect your network.

What do you dislike?

anything but the basic professional scanner is costly but can be worth it if you value your enterprise

Nessus Professional provides immediate identification of vulnerabilities, missing patches, weak programs that have outdated capabilities to defend against exploits.

Nessus review by Mark V.
Mark V.

"NESSUS Security alerts"

What do you like best?

The connecting the software to exchange for alert notification.

What do you dislike?

The launch screen could be quick navigation one. Usage statistics divided from external and internal users. Increase usage reports from low use to high use of site from external hits, and actions taken, plus if actions were suspicious.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product is maturing and newer versions seem to satisfy customer requests for improvement and usability.

On prem security for web sites that face the public. Alerts for users trying to breach firewalls, or code injection. External usage of our web sites.

Nessus review by Administrator

"Nessus Pro/Manager on-prem review"

What do you like best?

Configuration is simple. There aren't a ton of little-used features crowding UIs. Scans are fast.

What do you dislike?

Some plugins are still validating CVE resolution by looking for daemon banner version #s. With a lot of linux distros, the banner versions never line up with the backported security patches. Thus, some packages will seem vulnerable for months and months even though the vendor has patched the CVE.

Infrastructure vulnerability scans

"Positive Experience"

What do you like best?

Security Center's ease of use while providing useful information.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there isn't much I don't like. I've been very pleased with Nessus overall. My only complaint is with the detection of the HSTS plugin (84502). It is something we are audited on and it simply never goes away without manual intervention. It be great to see this work better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

SecurityCenter makes your job in Security much easier, the interfaces are great and the reports are excellent to provide to upper management. As we know, management loves graphs.

Deprecated protocols and services. Additionally, able to scan systems for baseline configurations and ensure they within compliance

"Easy Vulnerability Scanning"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, simple reports, quick to setup, quick scanning, no training required for use.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much i dislike, the ability to customise scans is somewhat limited but this helps keep the application simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can get a proof of concept from Nessus before you buy.

Quick and easy to scan devices for vulnerabilities. We use this in preparation for audits to ensure we are compliant, especially useful if going for Cyber Essentials Plus, or PCI compliance.

Nessus review by User in Computer Networking
User in Computer Networking

"nessus - vulnerability scanning tool "

What do you like best?

Its one of the best tool that I have used. The tool helps to find the vulnerability in windows system and helps you find all the loopholes which makes your system weak.It helps making a system more secure by improving on the vulnerabilities and helps keeping the system well patched.

What do you dislike?

Once it so happened that while scanning the system , the tool got stuck and it just froze. I was not able to do anything. But it just happened once , so i will not count that , overall its one of the best tool to work with.

mostly vulnarability scanning of the systems .

"Nesssus Rocks!"

What do you like best?

The flexibility in scan entire networks and for specific vulnerabilities.

What do you dislike?

That the free license is no longer available for home and personal use.

Filling gaps of employment. We don't have the budget for a security team so the infrastructure team fills both roles. Nessus make our jobs easier to scan for vulnerabilities without paying for FTES or yearly pen test.

Nessus review by Administrator

"Straight forward and easy to use."

What do you like best?

Important information readily accessible from reports and thus easy for management to read. Flexible scanning options and easy to passively scan many test VMs under development.

What do you dislike?

No multi-year discount for contracts. 2 or 3 year contract is the same price/yr

Vulnerability scanning with an industry standard tool. Customers recognize and accept Nessus as part of our cybersecurity program.

Nessus review by Victor Alfonso L.
Victor Alfonso L.

"Very easy way to scan vulnerabilities"

What do you like best?

Nessus has a very complete free platform, the paid version is great but you can start with free for vulnerabilities detection

What do you dislike?

I think Nessus must allow trial advanced scans, and not ask for credentials in some scans

Vulnerability scanner

Nessus review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Nessus scanning"

What do you like best?

Nessus scanning in and of itself is rather simple. It is nice that debugging is built in to the gui and logs can be easily retrieved. Nessus is definitely best when deployed with Security Center.

What do you dislike?

Some of the logic built in to the Cisco handler didnt make sense. When the logic was presented with a #, it wouldn't issue the enable password required for escalation. Getting the logic fixed for this issue took over 9 months to resolve.

This tool replaced McAfee vulnerability management and was a much more solid tool comparatively speaking.

Nessus review by Administrator

"One of the betters scanners"

What do you like best?

Customizing scan plugins with NASL and being able to scan multiple systems at once

What do you dislike?

The removal of the API from non .io and SecurityCenter versions. While pulling reports is still available, not being able to automate things is a pain.

Vulnerability scanning of assets prior to placing on the network and monthly policy directed scans for compliance

Nessus review by Administrator

"One solution for all vulnerability scans"

What do you like best?

Nessus' ability to automatically updating plugins everyday, schedule scans and sending reports on emails upon scan completion.

What do you dislike?

Plugins are not released every day. Some times they are delayed after couple of days.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very easy to use. You need to set it up only once and then no need to do any maintenance. Great product

We are scanning our OS/software for any vulnerabilities and fixing them before releasing them to customer's systems. Customers are happy that we are fixing the vulnerabilities before they even realize it. Customers now have more trust in us.

Nessus review by Eric S.
Eric S.

"Great scanning application. Exactly what I need for PCI"

What do you like best?

Scheduled scanning, reports are detailed with all the information for issues as well as a "how-to" on resolving.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Nessus meets my company's needs in a user friendly format. Couldn't be happier.

We're meeting our PCI requirements with Nessus. It allows me to see what security gaps and updates are necessary to maintain compliance.

Nessus review by Consultant

"Very good product"

What do you like best?

We are able to perform weekly scans and store them for future reference

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike about the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used it for years and it has improved a lot over the past few years.

We are using the plugins to ensure that we are in compliance with the FDCC guidelines.

Learn more about Nessus

Nessus Videos

Learning about Nessus?

Published:
* We monitor all Nessus reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
(85 reviews)