AP NetWeaver serves as the technical foundation of SAP's Business
Process Platform offerings by providing capabilities for service provisioning, composition (service consumption), and governance. The SAP NetWeaver Technology Map comprises all these capabilities and depicts them in a structured map that enables you to drill down from top-level technology areas (for example, Lifecycle Management) to individual capabilities (for example, Administration, Monitoring, and so on).
SAP NetWeaver is an open technology platform that offers a comprehensive set of technologies for running mission-critical business applications and integrating people, processes, and information.
The new technology map is not linked to a specific SAP NetWeaver product or release, but contains all capabilities provided by the SAP NetWeaver platform.
One of the products names, SAP Netweaver Application Server is my favorite as it plays as a web application server for SAP application solutions and tools. It can be easily integrated with other 3rd party applications. Another product which I admire the most is the SAP Netweaver Developer Studio (NWDS), have used this tool for migration of J2ee applications into SAP Netweaver Infrastructure.
As mentioned earlier, running, implementation and deployment of SAP portal application, run & maintenance of SAP WEB AS and migration of J2EE applications into SAP NWDS. Benefits include -
1. Easy integration with other/3rd party applications
2. External facing customer portal is easy to maintain
3. SAP Netweaver AS can easily accept multiple forms of authentication, in my case we use logon tickets mechanism
4. User Authentication & Security concerns are very less and have a strong mechanism in place
5. SAP Netweaver AS supports HTTPS which is widely used and accepted by other industry platforms and standards.