New Relic APM

New Relic provides SaaS Application Performance Management for Ruby, PHP, .Net, Java and Python Apps. It also provides analytics for better business results, monitoring crashes, and following drop offs in user flows.

Work for New Relic APM?

Learning about New Relic?

New Relic APM Reviews

Ask New Relic a Question
Showing 153 New Relic reviews
New Relic review by <span>Guy E.</span>
Guy E.

"Expensive, but not many options compare to its flexibility"

What do you like best?

We love it's error tracing capabilities -- it lets us know when anything is broken without having to monitor logs, which our QA team uses extensively during testing / when looking into and reproducing production issues. When you're a paid subscriber, it provides extensive trace detail on exactly where your application is slow in production environments, without the performance tracing slowing down the application. It also gives you a good sense of what your customer is experiencing with your application without having to rely on customers complaining that things are slow or broken.

What do you dislike?

New Relic has moved a lot of features that used to be free into paid tiers. Their pricing structure is unnecessarily expensive because it's per server or per container pricing. Unfortunately, a modern application is bound to have several servers that host the same application behind a load balancer. Since we don't use containers, that forces us to decide whether we want the pro features, or want to limit our scalability; we wish the pricing was per-application instead. So far we're stuck on the free edition as a result.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Balance the size of your application and user base against their hefty per-server pricing. Their free offering is on its way out, leaving only the paid option. Consider whether you have the money to afford a pro subscription for the number of servers you currently have, as well as the for servers you expect to have in about 1-2 years. If you have the money, there's nothing out there quite like New Relic and it's worth the investment.

On the other hand, if you don't have the money on hand for that, going pro is going to limit your scalability, and the free edition is not going to provide you with the data you need. So, in that scenario, it might not be worth integrating into your application and you'll probably want to get by with something less capable and less expensive.

We needed a way to identify performance bottlenecks that might only show up in production environments without having to replicate the entire setup and load characteristics of production in a test environment. New Relic's ability to profile applications in production helps with that. We also needed a way to easily triage issues that happen in production environments, which New Relic's error tracing and error analytics does natively. That significantly reduces the amount of research we have to do when something is not working / customers report issues.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about New Relic APM
New Relic review by <span>Vahram D.</span>
Vahram D.

"Total info on what's going on in your application"

What do you like best?

Intuitive UI and lots of very useful info. In the overview you basically get all the info you need to know about how your app is performing. Installing is very easy and the performance breakdown info is priceless. Whenever something goes wrong you can see it in the charts, be it a bad piece of code, database query or just a nasty error.

Errors section needs special attention as you get detailed info on what went wrong and where.

What do you dislike?

Performance breakdown is only available for slow transactions. This is fine in most of the cases, but after you're done with the slow ones it's hard to get info on the fast ones. Also you need to push some basic info to New Relic as some important metrics are not gathered by default. Some concepts like APDEX and T-values are not very intuitive at first, but are cool when you know what you're dealing with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price, if you can afford it, it's totally worth it.

PHP application performance monitoring across multiple servers along with MySQL database cluster.

What Application Performance Monitoring (APM) solution do you use?

New Relic review by <span>Ashley S.</span>
Ashley S.

"Helps my team stay on top of all of our apps"

What do you like best?

I like that New Relic keeps me in the loop in regards to what's happening with the applications my team has created. Anytime there's something wrong, I can go in there and start figuring out what the problem is. I also really like the weekly recap emails that let me know the overall health of our apps and any issues that we had during the week.

What do you dislike?

I'm a newer user so I sometimes find New Relic a bit overwhelming. I like what it does, but haven't figured out all of the places that I need to go in order to find what I'm looking for. I wish there was a better on-boarding process. In general, I only go into New Relic if there's an issue, but I'd like to start using New Relic on a daily basis to keep tabs on our sites and applications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not sure what other products are out there, but New Relic does a fantastic job of notifying my team when there are problems with our servers or apps. This is the first company that I've worked at that has had tracking like this, and now I don't know how any company could operate without a product like New Relic.

Anytime we start having a problem with one of our apps, I immediately log into New Relic to see if I can determine what the problem is. New Relic helps me narrow down my diagnostics so that I can fix the issue faster.

New Relic review by <span>Matthew M.</span>
Matthew M.

"Simple & Inutitive"

What do you like best?

NewRelic is a simple and intuitive solution that gives detailed performance metrics for every aspect of the environment, in real-time. I love the amount of detail I can receive on very detailed aspects of my software. I am able to view app performance down to specific lines of code. This allows me to see what the code is connected to, effecting and the resources being used.

What do you dislike?

The paid solutions are a bit pricey unless you are looking at it as a scalable solution for your future growth. The only other thing I can think of is that the learning curve is a bit steep for inexperienced users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out the free version first before hopping to the paid solution.

The main business problem we solve using New Relic is the prevention of disasters before they occur. Using this analytic tool we have witnessed a few incidents real time that could potentially effect production users - which we were able to isolate and use emergency change control to fix.

New Relic review by <span>Victor H.</span>
Victor H.

"Tracking memory issues is impossible"

What do you like best?

I like the interface, it is nice the free option is also good, the admin dashboard is good because it has good charts and you can turn on / off the things you want to show or hide from the chart. It shows the controllers and models and other consumption metrics which is very good.

What do you dislike?

Well, they are not doing anything to help developers to determine where are the +1 queries issues, or memory issues, that's why I switched to Scout. The monitoring options should have some text explaining what means each one, for example: What does mean "Ruby VMs"? How do I know if this is having issues that affect my app? It could be hard to understand those concepts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use it to debug memory issues on ROR

I only use this app to check what are my most expensive controllers, models (loading speed).

New Relic review by <span>Eugene B.</span>
Eugene B.

"Helps identify problems quicker than users can see it"

What do you like best?

Installation process very easy and it was no difficulties along the way. The interface is very intuitive. Their free plan allows to use it even for very small projects/companies.

What do you dislike?

Android/iOS app is buggy and not many features, so checking performance on the go is not so comfortable. Price is not that big, but it basically doubles the cost of a server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As it has a free version and very easy installation process, it is definitely worth trying. For small companies/projects basically, there are no close competitors to this product.

Identifying errors and performance problems before our users will report them via support requests.

Learning about New Relic APM?

* We monitor all New Relic APM reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.