New Relic APM

New Relic provides SaaS Application Performance Management for Ruby, PHP, .Net, Java and Python Apps. It also provides analytics for better business results, monitoring crashes, and following drop offs in user flows.

Work for New Relic APM?

Learning about New Relic?

New Relic APM Reviews

Ask New Relic a Question
New Relic review by Jeremy M.
Jeremy M.

"Expensive but sometimes worth it"

What do you like best?

It's easy to setup, and in general the service's uptime is good. We rarely have to worry about New Relic being an issue for us in terms of affecting our app. There is little to no performance impact by its agent either. The support has been excellent in the few interactions we've had to have with them.

What do you dislike?

Frankly, the UI is a mess. It's difficult to find what you want and sometimes it's tricky to interpret things right. Part of that is that their stats aren't very useful at times. They don't use rigorous statistical methods (usually just averages over time), so things get skewed a lot easier by application quirks or network issues. Also, it's very expensive. There are several other options that are in a much lower price bracket that cover the 80% case for most people.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would evaluate other options first and pick one that fits your needs best. New Relic may be *exactly* what you need, or it may end up being too finicky for you. It just depends on what your ultimate goal is and how much you want to invest in customizing things.

It does help us find slow queries in our Rails application that might otherwise escape our notice. It's also useful for quickly spotting slow actions.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about New Relic APM
Showing 173 New Relic reviews
New Relic review by Swapnil S.
Swapnil S.

"Working With A Great Monitoring Tool"

What do you like best?

The Option To generate reports of Server over a Span of 3 Months.!!! That is a great way to keep a check on what is happening over time and even track the progress. Apart from that, detailed Error Analytics is a Big Yes for the people managing the Servers.

Able to keep a check on all the transactions that occurred over time on the Servers, all the incoming and outgoing calls, all are a Plus for Monitoring and keeping track of things happening.

What do you dislike?

Not much of a dislike but I would love to have an option of being able to download the reports that are being generated all across the APM. That would provide a great help in managing things for future Use. Although You can see the reports over time but if you need to share the details, the only way possible is to take a screen shot and share, which is sometimes a pain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

People who are working with On premise Servers, esp. for them, this is a great tool ( as from my personal experience) as it will help you keep a check on your server health, everyday tracking, issues and even the good in them. The Overall experience is great and is quite an easy tool to use too.

We are basically using it for Server Monitoring.

New Relic has helped me look inside the overall service breakdown happening across the servers linked and made it so easy to identify the error cause and timings with a great option of generating reports over a span of time. So, overall it is a great tool for Server Monitoring for me.

New Relic review by shareef h.
shareef h.

"New Relic is the best for startups"

What do you like best?

It made my life easier as startup i have to do lot of things without being so especiallized in devops,

to understand the system behavior in rush hours and find bottle nicks in performance issues ( controllers urls ), its like magic just put is on one server AMI and it will detect all EC2 on amazon to watch all of them.

it will show you frustrated users and where the time was spent most to tune.

and it is cloud based and easy to setup

What do you dislike?

the free version is quite impressive , but even when i tried the paid with full features , it was less than i expected so i re treated to the free one, the thing is for example database queries that is slow and need indexing dose not show the where statment values tokens.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a must for every startup cool free (with qota) easy to use , keeps you not stay at night watch cloud watch and try understand what users are doing!

Fix bottle nicks and understad user frustration when they have slow internet while me at work have super internet.

Another main problem it will send email when my EC2 become un healthy and my live domain url is un reachable. it happens when out of memory or very heavy operation locks cpu. or disk space is full

What Application Performance Monitoring (APM) solution do you use?

New Relic review by Guy E.
Guy E.

"Expensive, but not many options compare to its flexibility"

What do you like best?

We love it's error tracing capabilities -- it lets us know when anything is broken without having to monitor logs, which our QA team uses extensively during testing / when looking into and reproducing production issues. When you're a paid subscriber, it provides extensive trace detail on exactly where your application is slow in production environments, without the performance tracing slowing down the application. It also gives you a good sense of what your customer is experiencing with your application without having to rely on customers complaining that things are slow or broken.

What do you dislike?

New Relic has moved a lot of features that used to be free into paid tiers. Their pricing structure is unnecessarily expensive because it's per server or per container pricing. Unfortunately, a modern application is bound to have several servers that host the same application behind a load balancer. Since we don't use containers, that forces us to decide whether we want the pro features, or want to limit our scalability; we wish the pricing was per-application instead. So far we're stuck on the free edition as a result.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Balance the size of your application and user base against their hefty per-server pricing. Their free offering is on its way out, leaving only the paid option. Consider whether you have the money to afford a pro subscription for the number of servers you currently have, as well as the for servers you expect to have in about 1-2 years. If you have the money, there's nothing out there quite like New Relic and it's worth the investment.

On the other hand, if you don't have the money on hand for that, going pro is going to limit your scalability, and the free edition is not going to provide you with the data you need. So, in that scenario, it might not be worth integrating into your application and you'll probably want to get by with something less capable and less expensive.

We needed a way to identify performance bottlenecks that might only show up in production environments without having to replicate the entire setup and load characteristics of production in a test environment. New Relic's ability to profile applications in production helps with that. We also needed a way to easily triage issues that happen in production environments, which New Relic's error tracing and error analytics does natively. That significantly reduces the amount of research we have to do when something is not working / customers report issues.

New Relic review by Vahram D.
Vahram D.

"Total info on what's going on in your application"

What do you like best?

Intuitive UI and lots of very useful info. In the overview you basically get all the info you need to know about how your app is performing. Installing is very easy and the performance breakdown info is priceless. Whenever something goes wrong you can see it in the charts, be it a bad piece of code, database query or just a nasty error.

Errors section needs special attention as you get detailed info on what went wrong and where.

What do you dislike?

Performance breakdown is only available for slow transactions. This is fine in most of the cases, but after you're done with the slow ones it's hard to get info on the fast ones. Also you need to push some basic info to New Relic as some important metrics are not gathered by default. Some concepts like APDEX and T-values are not very intuitive at first, but are cool when you know what you're dealing with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price, if you can afford it, it's totally worth it.

PHP application performance monitoring across multiple servers along with MySQL database cluster.

New Relic review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"Effective application performance monitoring solution"

What do you like best?

- Simple setup process

- Ability to configure alerts, alert channels

- Ability to integrate with third party software providers (such as Slack, web-hook) to action separate responses

- Easy to read graphs & ability to track transactions as key transactions with monitoring thresholds

- Can configure New Relic to use 2FA

- Web hook integration is straight-forward and results in the ability to create custom-tailored responses to any alert type

- The ability to compare performance with previous periods makes it easy to identify hiccups

What do you dislike?

- Steep learning curve

- 2FA support isn't native & requires participation from a third party SSO

- Pricing can vary between regions & different exchange rates can make this impractical for third party countries

Recommendations to others considering the product

New Relic is a no brainer if you're interested in the ability to track key transactions, identify performance bottlenecks or create system alerts within your environment. I'd strongly suggest you take advantage of the alerts & infrastructure features it also has within the native application.

New Relic gives you the ability to track key transactions & easily narrow down precisely where errors, vulnerabilities or bottlenecks are occurring within your environment. New Relic also offers free trials on any of their add-on software which makes it easy for you to identify an area or areas where additional integration makes sense to your corporation.

New Relic's support staff are fantastic & usually respond within a matter of hours.

New Relic review by Ashley S.
Ashley S.

"Helps my team stay on top of all of our apps"

What do you like best?

I like that New Relic keeps me in the loop in regards to what's happening with the applications my team has created. Anytime there's something wrong, I can go in there and start figuring out what the problem is. I also really like the weekly recap emails that let me know the overall health of our apps and any issues that we had during the week.

What do you dislike?

I'm a newer user so I sometimes find New Relic a bit overwhelming. I like what it does, but haven't figured out all of the places that I need to go in order to find what I'm looking for. I wish there was a better on-boarding process. In general, I only go into New Relic if there's an issue, but I'd like to start using New Relic on a daily basis to keep tabs on our sites and applications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not sure what other products are out there, but New Relic does a fantastic job of notifying my team when there are problems with our servers or apps. This is the first company that I've worked at that has had tracking like this, and now I don't know how any company could operate without a product like New Relic.

Anytime we start having a problem with one of our apps, I immediately log into New Relic to see if I can determine what the problem is. New Relic helps me narrow down my diagnostics so that I can fix the issue faster.

New Relic review by Matthew M.
Matthew M.

"Simple & Inutitive"

What do you like best?

NewRelic is a simple and intuitive solution that gives detailed performance metrics for every aspect of the environment, in real-time. I love the amount of detail I can receive on very detailed aspects of my software. I am able to view app performance down to specific lines of code. This allows me to see what the code is connected to, effecting and the resources being used.

What do you dislike?

The paid solutions are a bit pricey unless you are looking at it as a scalable solution for your future growth. The only other thing I can think of is that the learning curve is a bit steep for inexperienced users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out the free version first before hopping to the paid solution.

The main business problem we solve using New Relic is the prevention of disasters before they occur. Using this analytic tool we have witnessed a few incidents real time that could potentially effect production users - which we were able to isolate and use emergency change control to fix.

New Relic review by Victor H.
Victor H.

"Tracking memory issues is impossible"

What do you like best?

I like the interface, it is nice the free option is also good, the admin dashboard is good because it has good charts and you can turn on / off the things you want to show or hide from the chart. It shows the controllers and models and other consumption metrics which is very good.

What do you dislike?

Well, they are not doing anything to help developers to determine where are the +1 queries issues, or memory issues, that's why I switched to Scout. The monitoring options should have some text explaining what means each one, for example: What does mean "Ruby VMs"? How do I know if this is having issues that affect my app? It could be hard to understand those concepts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not use it to debug memory issues on ROR

I only use this app to check what are my most expensive controllers, models (loading speed).

New Relic review by Deon C.
Deon C.

"Monitoring our Stacks"

What do you like best?

The real-time analytics are great. It provides the data points we need in order to properly analyze what is going on with our stacks. On top of all that, it's pretty simple and easy to setup with your stacks. There is also a free version to see what it can offer before you possibly opt to get the paid version.

Seems to be pretty solid, compared to some other competitors such as Pingdom and AppDynamics.

Good tool for monitoring stacks up in the Cloud, I'd recommend it.

What do you dislike?

While the application monitoring is great, the server monitoring is not so great. The paid version (vs the free version) is a tad pricey.

Could have better monitoring tools for decentralized micro-services.

Some of the alerts are a bit "spammy", ie. getting too many emails per day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the free version to see what it can do for you.

Monitoring our apps in real time lets us see problems as they occur, often relating those issues to recent software releases which could very well be the problem (thus allowing us to make a quick fix, or revert that software release).

New Relic review by Shaan S.
Shaan S.

"NewRelic is essential for APM"

What do you like best?

The ability to see traces of an extremely slow transaction and examine the database queries that ran for that instance. Comparing the CPU, memory, and throughout of all servers for an application.

What do you dislike?

Older data loses precision, but it does show the general data that you are looking for. The general interface can be a bit slow or clunky and take some time to switch time frame or transaction. I would have liked to see historical performance easier to manage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price justifies the benefits you receive in monitoring your application as it grows.

NewRelic APM allows us to monitor customer experience based on the performance of our servers. Performance changes correlated with our releases allows us to a have clear idea of what improved/worsened the system.

New Relic review by David L.
David L.

"Easy to use but expensive"

What do you like best?

NewRelic is a breeze to setup. With my Rails and Sinatra apps, I get the base monitoring by just adding a gem to the project. To get server monitoring, just install a package and start the service.

What do you dislike?

It's expensive and even the sales guys don't seem to fully understand their pricing model. I run a Rails application on Google Container Cloud and it tooks several emails back and forth to figure out if I am priced per node in the Kubernetes cluster or per container. They ultimately charged me per node.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a good product when you're starting out, but it's pretty easy to outgrow it. Their alerting system is very fragmented. We use NewRelic Server a lot and the alert for when a system is offline isn't in their new alerting platform so we are stuck using both. It's also really easy to go over your license quota if you are auto scaling an application.

We run several Ruby web applications and mobile apps. We needed a monitoring solution that we really didn't have to think about. NewRelic definitely provided that. We added the gems to the Ruby apps and the mobile dependencies and were up and running really quickly with basic monitoring.

New Relic review by Adam H.
Adam H.

"Fantastic for identifying performance issues"

What do you like best?

I can't recommend newrelic enough, it drills down into your code line by line and tells you where your slow downs are. They also offer browser insights which allows you to see what is going wrong with your JavaScript as well (additional fee).

The historical logging of performance is also of extreme use, expecially when you've had a problem while you are in bed and have no idea where to even start.

Finally, the alerting system is second to none, my director pays for a secondary level monitoring system and newrelic is always without fail the first one to tell me about a problem.

What do you dislike?

Depending on the system you are using, their website is extremely JavaScript heavy and can cause hanging if you're using an outdated machine.

One pitfall of the alerting is you need the app on your phone, it would be of extreme handiness if they implemented some kind of SMS system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are having performance issues with your website, it is well worth jumping onto newrelic. Also great for when you are running mail campaigns or a large hyped release as it identifies exactly where your slow downs are coming from.

- Ecommerce performance problems, can see where your code is slowing down on a line by line basis.

- Browser optimisation via Browser Insights, you can drill down to what JS/images are causing you slow downs and improve the performance of your website easily.

New Relic review by Jyoti T.
Jyoti T.

"New Relic APM is easy and very helpul"

What do you like best?

New Relic enables its customers to realize extensive savings in time and money as it streamlines everyday business operations. Distributed Tracing support will let you track a user request through every service in the chain and more easily discover latency issues, path errors, and performance bottlenecks.

What do you dislike?

No such dislike. Application setting up is a bit complex.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take free trial to test application performance at least once.

Application performance used to drop at peak traffic hours. New relic helped to find the exact MySql database queries that were consuming most of the CPU. We traced and resolved all such database queries and functions. Now application performance is far better.

New Relic review by User in Information Technology and Services

"New Relic, APM can help you diagnose production issues"

What do you like best?

I like that New Relic is a SAAS solution. I dont have to worry about keeping up with updating a server application on a regular basis. We get new features as they roll out. The agent is simple to install, but some of the plug-ins can be a challenge.

What do you dislike?

Support can sometimes be a pain to work with, since most of our experience is creating tickets and emailing back and forth. Instructions for some for some of the plugins is sometimes not adequate but has become better over the years.

We needed a way to tie together performance data with application errors. Many of our teams use it to help diagnose issues by narrowing down the issue to a specific time and looking for correlations between performance problems and application errors.

New Relic review by Levan V.
Levan V.

"The best server analytics I've ever used. Totally recommend!"

What do you like best?

I like the variety of functionality. Lots of ways to track events and processes on server and web applications. Also we have set up server downtime alerts to make sure our services are 100% available to users.

What do you dislike?

Pricing is a bit expensive for many types of projects, lets say startups. Some discounts will be great for small and non-profit organizations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You'll need some access right on your server to install new relic.

We make sure our servers are up and running and out applications are doing well. We monitor all this with New Relic server monitoring and APM.

New Relic review by Kevin S.
Kevin S.

"APM is a powerful, intuitive analytics tool"

What do you like best?

APM has been an invaluable tool for monitoring and managing multiple applications running on the same server. Detailed stack traces allow you to quickly identify and fix the offending resources before customers are impacted.

This suite enables real-time performance monitoring at a glance.

What do you dislike?

On the essentials tier, insights events and metric data retention is only for 72 hours. This isn't usually much of an issue, as any catastrophic service interruption is going to get noticed before 3 days are up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DO IT!

This product is an incredible value for the amount of actionable insights you get for a relatively small cost. If you or your organization are looking for a low cost way to improve quality of service, you could do far worse then choosing New Relic.

My use case was using this on a beefy VPS running a fair number of separate Wordpress instances.

Real, actionable insights into our applications' and server's status allowed us to identify bottlenecks and optimize our server configuration to eliminate slow response times and increase server throughput.

New Relic review by Ben M.
Ben M.

"A wonderful service for performance monitoring and troubleshooting."

What do you like best?

You can effortlessly drill deep down into the code of a web application to find out things like where the most time is being spent by the server, what's using up the most memory, how much time is spent in certain functions throughout the lifecycle of your application, etc.

What do you dislike?

The pricing can be prohibitive for freelance developers. You often need other tools to go along with NewRelic in order to fully troubleshoot a problem, but that's to be expected with an APM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If it fits in your budget, it could be an indispensable tool to maximize your application's performance.

We need regular insight into how our applications are performing and tools to use to track down performance issues. NewRelic provides these tools and lets us focus on actually improving performance instead of figuring out how to troubleshoot performance issues.

New Relic review by User in Internet

"A very powerful, flexible tool"

What do you like best?

It offers a lot of useful tools to monitor your application's health. It has a lot of detailed performance data that lets you quickly identify problem areas and bottlenecks. The live alerts are extremely useful, too, allowing us to maintain uptime even outside of work hours or any time we aren't actively working.

What do you dislike?

It's extremely tedious to pull any historical data, even something as simple as a single error that occurred last week. The sheer number of features also makes it very difficult to find exactly what you need at times, or even know if what you're looking for exists.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to explore and see which of the fancy charts mean anything to you. You'll thank yourself when you're trying to dig up critical error data later.

As mentioned above, we use New Relic APM to monitor our application's health and track down bugs as they appear.

New Relic review by Administrator in Sporting Goods
Administrator in Sporting Goods

"Helps us find and fix issues and slowness regularly. Couldn't live without it."

What do you like best?

Having application monitoring is crucial to understanding how a system is performing, and understanding why it's performing this way. I use the transaction trace the most to find slow transactions and their cause. I also use the database section for long-running queries to find optimizations. Errors are also helpful to see what kind of errors users are seeing.

What do you dislike?

The UI can get a tight. Many layers of stack traces are hard to display. Also, the data is not "up to the second" fresh. It takes a few minutes to watch the charts update.

We solve performance issues and exceptions in production using New Relic. Often, new relic points right to the problem if we know where to look. We've been able to find issues in minutes that would have taken days to find without monitoring.

New Relic review by Emiliano V.
Emiliano V.

"Excellent monitoring performance tool"

What do you like best?

The monitoring tools including downtime messages.

Scalability analysis is also great to predict what's needed in your stack when building new features or predicting future traffic in your product without hitting max capacity.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes could be a little trickier to navigate all the features available.

Cost can be high depending the architecture you use (e.g. microservices). Log support is weak.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pricing could be a dealbreaker but I encourage to talk to them to evaluate your current architecture and find a plan that works for you.

Being able to monitor all our systems performance plus getting notified of any potential issues is perfect for our needs.

New Relic review by Jorge A.
Jorge A.

"A radar for zero visibility operations"

What do you like best?

Drill down into information is pretty easy and useful, slow query log analysis is awesome, also the fact that you have insights in your server and in your user's browser at the same time.

What do you dislike?

Installation is a little bit complicated, specially in linux, and you don't always get the same result, none the less you are using the same linux distribution and you follow the same steps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Contact an executive, they get much better deals than the web page

We have increased our SLA from 98% to 99.99% we understand better our infrastructure and that allows us to offer a better service.

New Relic review by Administrator

"Wildest of New Relics"

What do you like best?

New relics has powerfull engine to analyze the entire system to know all activity in our server, It can showing you which part has been take the most resources of our server with the details like how long it takes a load, how frequently that problems has occured. This is really helpfull for us because we need to monitoring our bussiness so we are always can give the best performance to our customer

What do you dislike?

for newbie using this tools is really hard you will always need to looking the others tutorial and reviews to know what happens with that view, and where do you need to start and take a look,

Recommendations to others considering the product

its really recommendate for every bussiness modeling especially for company using technology information to monitoring your tools to make money. So you know what happens with your server if you thinks your perfomance of server is starting down. i dont think so you can find other place who offer more reliable service than New Relics, just try trial first to know and familiar with their tools , than try to premium member to know how powerfull their tools. thank you

Information technology and service, sometimes our traffic is really high, so i want to know if this traffic is real or not, or which page have the most accessing by user. I have so man third party integrate with our platform and sometimes for certain reason connection between us is slowing down, how we know if its done and our server performances get down, that answer is new relic has feature to send an alert via email to us if our server has get frequently error

New Relic review by Robert H.
Robert H.

"a great monitor platform"

What do you like best?

It allows you to monitor and keep track of your application performance, allowing you to detect and fix performance issues and bugs. Including call trace and database performance review over queries. Another nice feature is the comparison of measures, allowing you to se how performance behave between code changes, or user usage.

What do you dislike?

Its kind of confusing the measure mechanism and anachronism using to label the levels, the value label should be more self explanatory and maybe even simpler to read. In some cases the configuration for web pages differ on how you should measure, so you need to know this in order to configure your project, that should be automatically setup

Monitoring our e-commerce platform, measuring and comparing performance over stress or bug fixing.

New Relic review by Aaron S.
Aaron S.

"Essential tool for monitoring application performance"

What do you like best?

Breakdown of request time spent in various layers (application code, database, etc.)

Error rate and response time monitoring.

Alerting and ability to hook up to multiple channels (PagerDuty, Slack, email)

What do you dislike?

Alerts don't include graphs (like DataDog) and often the graphs are helpful. Can be hard to configure alerts to quickly subside.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While expensive, the window into your application that New Relic provides is a huge value add.

Proactive monitoring and alerting of our web applications, as well as mechanism to dive deep into drivers of application performance.

New Relic review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Best APM experience"

What do you like best?

This product has the most critical features that have saved my bacon multiple times. Without New Relic I would have probably been fired for not figuring out what was wrong with critical client production sites. The Java profiling tools were the best I've ever seen.

What do you dislike?

There's such incredible depth to this tool that it is nearly impossible to figure out all the ins and outs without extensively using it for months at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it first, everything pales in comparison.

I have been able to address direct and user errors by determining the slowest behaving pages and application calls and queries that have an immediate user impact in performance. This prevents customers from leaving the site out of frustration.

New Relic review by Toufeeq H.
Toufeeq H.

"Good product, Bad Account Amanagement"

What do you like best?

The product provides a lot of data on site performance and APIs.

What do you dislike?

The account management and success team is apathetic to the needs of their clients. The sales team is aggressive in terms of signing contracts but there is no onboarding, follow up, no training and no success management of small to mid size clients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stay away if you are looking for training, support.

We were with Pingdom and moved to

New Relic review by Alessio R.
Alessio R.

"Easy setup, detailed metrics"

What do you like best?

There are several modules composing NewRelic (Browser, Synthetics, Servers, Mobile, etc) but what I mainly use is server monitoring and the profiling tool, which gives valuable insights into the errors and bottlenecks of the code. We use it with Ruby on Rails app, and it works great.

Slack integration (especially for monitoring) and easy installation (we use Ubuntu servers) are a defined plus as well.

What do you dislike?

I don't quite like the pricing model, as it is per server. Running several apps on distributed, scaling servers this makes it way too expensive than it should reasonably be. For this reason we can't use NewRelic on those specific projects.

The learning scale is a tad steep, but that's to be expected for such a powerful product, so no complaints there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give the trial version a good check, as it is very easy to install and you can realize hands-on how useful it will be for you; at the same time, be careful with the pricing model and do your maths.

The ability to be able to monitor app performance and notify problems in realtime to the right users is a definite productivity boost; we were able to minimize downtime and raise our apps' availability.

New Relic review by Rob M.
Rob M.

"In depth system monitoring tool, including visibility into SQL query performance"

What do you like best?

Ruby on Rails integration

Slack integration

Easy to setup and use

Extensive analysis tools, from server performance, transaction performance down to SQL queries. The browser support can be revealing as well.

What do you dislike?

The fancy javascript UI doesn't support sharing a screen by pasting a URL - it loses the timeframe you were looking at. There is a workaround - a button on the bottom of the screen - but it took a support call to find it. Often, our team resorts sharing screenshots instead.

The UI, while beautiful and powerful, is also confusing to the point where they recommend training courses.

It's outrageously expensive - I once calculated that it would cost about 25% of my EC2 costs if I deployed it on every server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I wish they would consider more the typical user, as opposed to making this beautiful UI that demos well, but is often frustrating to use.

However, I've looked around, and this seems to be only game in town for good real time performance analysis if you care about database performance. If you don't care about database performance, then there are other options.

Ability to get realtime insights in the performance of the system, which lets our team discover and fix performance programs.

New Relic review by Zoltán S.
Zoltán S.

"New Relic - when monitoring happens from multiple locations"

What do you like best?

New Relic is not only an application performance monitoring tool, but also allows you to monitor your website from multiple different geographical locations. This latest feature is extremely handy, when you offer SaaS solutions to your clients, where the client can be at any part of the world - in such a case this feature - monitoring your site from different continents, from different countries - really can help you to once to act pro-actively and know before anyone else if there is a connectivity issue from region X towards your solution and secondly, the ability to check historical data also helps identifying, if the problem is region dependent or related your own platform.

So main features for us:

- Monitoring from multiple different geographical locations

- Alerting (when you get alerts not only from outages but also from state recoveries)

- Historical data

What do you dislike?

Nothing to mention here - the application does what it supposed to do, if you would like to have a full environment monitoring and alerting coverage then this tool alone will not do the trick, but they also do not position themselves there: but in combination with other monitoring tools you can get a really excellent stack.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I tried a few available solutions and chose New Relic, based on what it offered and how simply it was to set up monitoring and alerting, apart from this I checked other features that can be useful, like historical data back to X days - walking on this path, it also can be crystal clear for you what exactly you need and based on the must have features list you have, you can make decision easily. The tool has a free version, even a non time limited one (where certain functionalities are limited, e.g. how many sites you can monitor or how many days back you can check your alert messages) - just try that and you can see if the tool is up to your requirements.

Our clients at Nebu can be found all over the world, in many different countries and continents - and if someone hosted a centralised SaaS solution, can easily realise, that monitoring your sites from different geo-locations gives enormous value to your tech and support team.

New Relic review by Adam E.
Adam E.

"Insights is Invaluable"

What do you like best?

NewRelic has a lot of parts to the service (Application monitoring, Mobile, Browser stats, Insights, etc), but Insights is the one that I use every day--and it doesn't seem to have a competitor. The near-realtime (less than a minute) charts, graphs, comparison tables and custom queries on software activity is not only visually stunning but also easy to use. Using Insights queries, I've been able to find and fix issues with production web software before customers even notice the problem exists. By watching trends and error reports, I can keep ahead of issues (both bugs, service issues and scaling needs) before they become problems.

What do you dislike?

There are a few things I would love to see in the Insights panel. I make heavy use of saved custom Dashboards and often find myself building a complex dashboard that I need to duplicate for another environment (having the environment for PROD, now I need a copy of the same thing where the only difference in all the queries is the appName). This doesn't seem to be available so I spend a fair amount of time copy/pasting queries and editing the appName query to create additional dashboards.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have a free tier that holds 1 week of data in insights. This fits most of my application needs. We only use the longer availability tiers for cases where we need a wider breadth of stats and charts.

I use this tool daily to keep an eye on application performance (response times, expected behaviors, dependent service outages/hiccups, cache keys being what they should be, etc). The list of benefits is too large to cover entirely and completely custom to each application. As new clients integrate with my software, I use NewRelic Insights to track onboarding behaviors and ensure clients have correctly implemented the integration. I can see how often (every day around 3am) my services are scanned for vulnerabilities by some agent on the internet). Insights does exactly what the name implies; It gives me insight into what is happening in near-realtime with my applications.

New Relic review by User in Biotechnology
User in Biotechnology

"New Relic great for server monitoring"

What do you like best?

New Relic is a fire-and-forget solution where we set it up once to monitor and report on certain servers, and now it just works and continues to monitor for us and alert when there are issues. Frankly, once we set up the email monitoring, we haven't had to log into the service itself in months- it just continues to work and let us know any time there's an issue.

What do you dislike?

There are few frustrations or other things I particularly dislike about the software- honestly, it has issues so infrequently we barely have to think about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very useful if you require monitoring the state of servers distributed over a wide geographic area

We operate a number of servers at remote sites that are difficult for us to monitor directly, as they are behind the firewalls of the customers. New Relic allows us to maintain visibility to these machines and maintain confidence that they are continuing to operate as expected.

New Relic review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Solid APM for a growing startup"

What do you like best?

Great interface, automated alerts and general information about the performance of my application. The support is great and I like that it integrates with other tools like PagerDuty.

What do you dislike?

For an early stage startup, the pricing is a bit challenging and wish there was a more basic starter tier. But its a small investment for huge value.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a lot of tools that are available to monitor performance, but New Relic is by far the best I've seen. You are using a name brand that comes with lots of benefits like great support, documentation and upgrades. You can trust in a vendor that just filed for IPO :)

Monitoring the performance of cloud-based applications is critical to understanding choke points and also figuring out ways to keep high availability for my customers. Using NewRelic enables me to easily monitor the performance of the application and get automated alerts. We integrated it with PagerDuty so my Ops team can also pinpoint issues detected by PagerDuty using NewRelic. Great service!

New Relic review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"A great view into the health of your application"

What do you like best?

Having living, up to the minute graphs describing the health of my web application. Receiving alerts for errors and other failure events.

What do you dislike?

As the app has gotten more mature, it has gotten more complex. I get pinged about a lot of stuff I'm not interested in, or features I get from other vendors at a lower price point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out the trial to see if it fits your needs.

We currently use them to monitor the uptime and performance of our backend environment, as well as using their Real User Monitoring to give us information about performance on the frontend.

We get pings from newrelic whenever important events occur; like traffic spikes, a large number of errors, or performance of one of our critical pages falls below a certain threshold. They give us a lot of piece of mind that if we push a breaking change we'll find out about it right away, and they're also an important tool when we want to optimize performance. Their reports let us zoom into problem areas easily.

New Relic review by Christophe N.
Christophe N.

"New Relic is great to get all the insights you can think of about your app"

What do you like best?

New Relic is great for monitoring and alerting for both backend and frontend applications. On the backend side, the clients for Express JS and databases are ideal to get a good breakdown of where are the bottlenecks in your apps. The errors explorer is also great to find what is wrong with your current setup.

For the frontend, we love Synthetics product suite giving us again a great breakdown of where time is spent loading our web pages.

What do you dislike?

Alerting isn't so great. While we know New Relic has a lot of data about our applications, we found it hard to create good alerts around that data. The interface is not really intuitive and it didn't seem possible to create alerts around some metrics we would have liked.

Monitoring and alerting on at scale web application deployments. We especially use New Relic for monitoring performance.

New Relic review by Ken M.
Ken M.

"New Relic -- Data in Minutes"

What do you like best?

NewRelic is a suite of tools that provide you with the ability to see all aspects of your application. The integration with AWS was trivial and we had data to consume within minutes. Our favorite parts of the app:

APM -- We use this often to find hot spots in our application. We compare the before-and-after with software updates to make sure changes are operating as expected.

BROWSER -- Gives us great insight into how our application is performing on the desktop and what type of browsers are in use. When used with the APM, these two components give you the ability to really X-RAY your application.

SYNTHETICS -- We've built custom monitors using the scripting language and use this to verify everything is working as expected. We love the historical ability to see load time by location.

PLUGINS -- Easy way for us to load stats for our EC2, ELB, SNS, SQS, RDS instances.... all done via a simple plug-in. Now we have one place to look for everything.

INSIGHTS -- My favorite. Write custom queries using a built-in query language and save commonly used queries to dashboards. We display dashboard around the office to monitor all our NewRelic collected metrics in real-time. *Awesome*

Support -- not a component, but the NewRelic support team has always been responsive and helpful. Great to work with.

What do you dislike?

Not much to say that is negative. It's a little overwhelming if you are trying to leverage every aspect of the product. It is best to start with one thing and then grow from there.

We were looking to get insight into our application running in production and use metrics to focus our plan for improvement. We've been able to make many changes based on NewRelic feedback.

New Relic review by Holden T.
Holden T.

"Everything you wanted to know (about your server) but were too afraid to ask."

What do you like best?

There is literally no stat too small or obscure for New Relic to report. It has everything you could possibly imagine and their pricing is perfect. New Relic grows with your business from startup to enterprise so that pricing grows as you do.

What do you dislike?

All the option can be inundating. New Relic has an insane amount of options but there's really not much to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

New relic basically does everything you need. The only trouble is figuring out where to start and which metrics are most important for your particular app. The learning curve can be quite high but mostly just figuring out how to tailor it to your needs. Their forum is a good place to start and they have great docs.

Finding the bottlenecks in your application and make sure you avoid major pitfalls before they start throwing errors. Once you use new relic you can't imagine a world without it!

New Relic review by Ted R.
Ted R.

"Love and Depend on New Relic"

What do you like best?

The ability to get access to data so quickly and to refer to historic data to improve operational decisions.

What do you dislike?

I really do love the software so this may seem petty but not having some kind of up down built into the server monitoring makes it so I need to deploy another agent or utilize an additional tool to get this data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great Product at least give it a try.

Projecting growth of applications and having real time use statistics at a very granular level have been extremely helpful.

New Relic review by Rajani P.
Rajani P.

"Great tool for quick snapshot on enterprise application performance"

What do you like best?

Tool configuration and setup time for any new application instance is quick and you can start reviewing performance metrics within 5 minutes. Able to monitor back-end database level exceptions as well with tool configuration on Tomcat.

What do you dislike?

Even listening time and information will take close 5 minutes to showup on newrelic interface. It would be great if the graphs can be updated with less turnaround time from the event.

Able to identify performance bottlenecks for a healthcare product.

New Relic review by Eugene B.
Eugene B.

"Helps identify problems quicker than users can see it"

What do you like best?

Installation process very easy and it was no difficulties along the way. The interface is very intuitive. Their free plan allows to use it even for very small projects/companies.

What do you dislike?

Android/iOS app is buggy and not many features, so checking performance on the go is not so comfortable. Price is not that big, but it basically doubles the cost of a server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As it has a free version and very easy installation process, it is definitely worth trying. For small companies/projects basically, there are no close competitors to this product.

Identifying errors and performance problems before our users will report them via support requests.

New Relic review by Ramón L.
Ramón L.

"Solve problems before they even exist."

What do you like best?

New relic is the next-gen analyzer for your Web Apps, from javascript to sql executions, you will be in control of you app, you will find errors before your users do and data visualization couldn't be any more beautiful. Working with new relic really enhances the way you monitor your apps, and it's ridicously easy to install.

What do you dislike?

New relic is expensive and the php installation is not as straight forward as the ruby one. Other than that, not a lot of complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recomendation is to try it on every platform and ask for the pro trial, it's totally worth it and you will know what you're buying (If you're going to)

Performance monitoring and mobile app analysis is a must nowadays and new relic really shines in these areas. We have all the info we need in our dashboard, it's a really nice tool to have if you are willing to pay for it.

New Relic review by Sócrates L.
Sócrates L.

"It gives me in depth knowledge about how software I build is running in production"

What do you like best?

The info that New Relic APM gives me: I can really digg into stacktrace to understand what is my performance problem. Alerts are also very nice, they are easy to set and really useful.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes APM page loading is too slow. Also graphs time ranges are kind of akwart: in main view we might use ranges from 30m to 3months, some other pages only show a maximum of 7days.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to get a real time view of your app performance, New Relic is a must have.

Providing pages that load fast is a major concern in my company, since we advertise real estate. There are several studies showind that fast pages increase conversion. That said, using New Relic really gives the visibility we need to understand what are some perfomance bottlenecks and where we apply improvements.

New Relic review by Mike C.
Mike C.

"New Relic for Application Monitoring"

What do you like best?

New Relic provides us with comprehensive coverage across web and mobile apps. We now have great insight into all of our apps. Tracking down bugs and errors is much easier now that all of our apps are using New Relic.

What do you dislike?

New Relic is not cheap. It's great for enterprise work, but is less accessible with regard to personal projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

New Relic is a worthwhile investment in an enterprise environment.

We recently moved to use New Relic on our mobile apps. We already were using New Relic with our web apps. Having a cohesive environment to trace bugs and monitor performance is great.

New Relic review by Andrew D.
Andrew D.

"New Relic User for 3+ Years"

What do you like best?

Great reporting features of how your web app is performing. Integrates well with Drupal (our CMS) that allows us to see specific hooks and modules that are misbehaving. Also analyzes our front-end for performance improvements. Neat to see how everything is running in almost real time.

What do you dislike?

This product is great for a high level view, but diving into very specific problems can be painful. You can only get so far before you have to get into your logs to find the exact cause of a problem. Would be great of they could SFTP into your sever to access the logs directly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's really nothing else out there that even compares so if performance monitoring of your app is important to your app you really need this service.

This is all about monitoring the performance of your web app, mobile app, or server. When things go wrong I check New Relic first.

New Relic review by Micah H.
Micah H.

"A game-changer for anyone running a Web Application"

What do you like best?

Its hard to overstate how much value New Relic adds to our development team and process. Between the Application and Server monitoring, we got real tangible insight into our application's response time, throughput, error rate, background jobs, and more.

Being able to profile individual endpoints and background tasks has quickly led us to optimize frequent and slow tasks, and the built-in monitoring will provide up to date notifications of errors, downtime, or slow response times.

One helpful feature that the response timeline shows past events such as downtime or error rates, and can be annotated to include deployments.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike, aside from the cost of a larger deployment. The application monitoring has so many features that it can be difficult when you first come to the product to understand what everything does and where to find it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely use the trial to evaluate whether it adds value for you, but it would be surprising if you could find a tool that does everything that New Relic does.

New Relic is a tool that most of our developers use daily, and all use at least weekly to identify errors and profile deployments.

New Relic review by Yasmany C.
Yasmany C.

"a great monitor platform"

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will help you to monitor your app and find bottlenecks

New Relic review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Great preformance and activity monitor"

What do you like best?

The easy to configure GUI allows us to manage and prioritize the information that is most useful to our teams. It has proved very useful as an activity monitor allowing us to priorities channels for our customers through their peak usage times.

What do you dislike?

The only flaw I can find with the GUI is the auto logout timer. We use the UI on a heads up display in the office and it times out every two weeks or so. It would be great if there was an option to bypass this.

Real time monitoring and analysis of customer traffic while maintaining a performance baseline.

New Relic review by Hélio C.
Hélio C.

"Must have tool for professional software development "

What do you like best?

If you don't know NewRelic, you should stop reading it and visit their website. New Relic is the best tool for software application active-analysis that every company should pay for.

New Relic can log your application errors with all information about it (headers, request parameters, error response) including error type, error date and time and even counting how many times an error occur between some time space.

Also, NewRelic measures how your application performs: how many secs your app taken to response a given request.

NewRelic has a great Profiling tool which can describe by method call level, which method is consuming more time/resource to be done, request by request. This is a huge help to find software implementation problems and also, to check if your submission in fact solve it later.

It also has Alerts to e-mail you (or your team) if your application goes offline or starting to error more than your configured Threshold.

Everything can be configured; but if you doesn't know how to, you can use their defaults which is great, too.

NewRelic support is awesome. Well trained people with great support by e-mail, phone or even conference call (depending on your plan).

What do you dislike?

If you have your application deployed on Heroku, I advise you to contact NewRelic team for price negotiations. Otherwise, you may expense more than expected with NewRelic by its price per dyno.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it for free into your real world application. You won't be disappointed.

Profiling; Error Alerts; Active Monitoring; Software Analysis; Software Application logging.

New Relic review by Ismael G M.
Ismael G M.

"Its a must, for now the healt of your project"

What do you like best?

What I like the best it's that it really helps tracking events on the apps, the integration with other services like heroku

What do you dislike?

The user interface it's not the best its very chunky, we also use other options like airbrake and its lighter than new relic

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great for tracking events in your apps, it's one of the best tools in the market

I really like the integration with heroku it has been very handy, it has helped a lot on finding problems and I really like the information that it's given we use it all the time with heroku but the new implemention of heroku has been great and we are analazing if we should continue using new relic

New Relic review by Anuraag S.
Anuraag S.

"Wow level of information"

What do you like best?

For web application analysis the level of information available is insane. It goes into details like application load time api calls, time taken, errors happening, user interactions with the page....the whole works!

What do you dislike?

The ui gets a bit getting used to. Its almost like a developer tool bar for a web engineer. But once you understand your way around, it is like a big timeline of what user does on the application

Recommendations to others considering the product

For tracking the performance of web applications - it does not get better than this.

Performance of our web application in mobile devices. Especially the load time was a concern for us - the application was having a significant time lapse from the time user tried to accesss the application and when he heard the music play.

New Relic review by User in Internet

"Very good, equally expensive"

What do you like best?

NewRelic almost always has the information I need to debug issues that are going on. Error reports are good, with the details that I need to debug, and data shows up without any delay from when the event occurs.

What do you dislike?

UI is kind of clunky and clicking on anything results in spinners and waiting. When trying to find details of things you're made to click around looking for traces and related DB queries, which the UI makes annoying, and the constant loading spinners make it painful when guessing wrong in the UI.

The price is also very high, and that only seems to get you in the door. More features are available for increases from there, although for the price you'd think it'd be all-inclusive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have the money to spend, it's a very nice tool.

Monitoring and debugging performance and functionality of live web applications.

Learning about New Relic APM?

* We monitor all New Relic APM reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.