Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

NextGen® Practice Management Solutions

3.7
(18 reviews)

Practice management software automates tasks like scheduling, billing, claims processing, and reporting. Integrated insurance eligibility, patient communication, and payment tools support revenue cycle.

Work for NextGen® Practice Management Solutions?

Learning about NextGen®?

NextGen® Practice Management Solutions Reviews

Ask NextGen® a Question
Showing 22 NextGen® reviews
NextGen® review by Logan K.
Logan K.

"Not too fancy, but gets the job done"

What do you like best?

The scheduling feature was pretty simple. Similarly, it was pretty easy to check patients in/out. Switching between their EPM and EHR components easy to toggle and patient information would follow you as you changed programs.

What do you dislike?

The reporting feature is not the easiest to use. Our current PM solution has a built in BI tool that allows you to build reports and view data in "pivot table" form. I'm not sure if they have any add-on features that we never explored, but the canned reporting was fairly limited.

When we were using Nextgen, it was necessary to maintain the software on your own infrastructure. It is often in a company's best interest to switch to a cloud-based offering. They may offer a cloud-based suite at this point, but I am not certain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure their reporting tools meet your needs.

Nextgen was our PM (practice management) solution. We used the system to schedule patients, bill encounters, hold financial data relating to encounters/claims. Revenue-related journal entries were booked using data exported from Nextgen.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about NextGen® Practice Management Solutions
NextGen® review by User

"Practice Management Made Easy"

What do you like best?

The best aspect of NextGen's system is the interface, there is a static toolbar at the top where you can toggle the labels to each area of the system which allows you to quickly navigate throughout the software. Reporting is fantastic in NextGen, it has an abundant supply of filters and options that make reporting a breeze. Reports can be exported into Excel for further manipulation and analysis which is a must have feature. Nextgens’s built in document management system is extremely efficient, it can be utilized for storing PHI and other documentation such as invoices and OP reports so you can avoid having to purchase a third party image management service like eBridge. It is clear that plenty of thought was put into the way they built the interface; I really like how easy it is to review patient's ledgers, you can quickly navigate through multiple DOS and transactions to determine outstanding balances and other key details like statements and claim submission history. Charge Posting and Payment Posting are extremely efficient in this system and electronic filing is smooth as well especially when the system is integrated with a third party clearing house like Navicure/Zirmed/Waystar. NextGen also offers top of the line customer service, whether you have a general question regarding how to access an area of the system or complete an action or if you need help running a detailed report, they can show you how by accessing your system remotely as well for an even greater customer service experience.

What do you dislike?

It is extremely clear that the team behind NextGen put alot of thought into this system from a practice management standpoint. They have integrated almost everything necessary to successfully manage accounts receivable, inventory, and PHI/EHR. I love their reporting system, but I wish the format was exportable into CVS compared to just Excel as the format in Excel requires manual manipulation if you want to further review the data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Whether your have a Professional practice or an Outpatient Facility and are looking for a top of the line RCM software to manage your billing, then look no further because NextGen does it all. It may be on the higher end of the spectrum in terms of pricing, but its features and accessibility are well worth it.

We utilize NextGen to successfully manage our large client who practices in the outpatient surgical setting with several separate facilities which are all easily accessible in NextGen. We are able to transition between them with ease to ensure we are keeping up to date on our client's AR to maximize their revenue. NextGen also allows us to effectively manage backend patient billing, including statement generation which is an excellent feature we really appreciate. NextGen has been an excellent software for managing our facilities effectively, especially when paired with a good clearinghouse.

What Practice Management solution do you use?

NextGen® review by User

"Excellent Practice Management Software"

What do you like best?

One of the best parts about NextGen is the user interface, at first glance it can be overwhelming, but once you spend some time learning your way around it becomes clear how much thought went into this system. The main dashboard provides quick access to all features along the top with captions such as: Reports, Appointments, Accounts Ledgers, File Maintenance, Inventory, etc. I really like how easy it is to open up an account/chart via their encounter search system. The account summary provides access to all relevant data I need to effectively manage patient's accounts such as demographics, coordination of benefits, and all other relevant detail. Their account ledgers are some of the best I have worked with, they provide an effective and visually appealing summary of transactions including: charts, payments, adjustments, and credits within the account in a clean/organized format. With the click of a button you can navigate through the entire account to view medical records, AR Follow Up Notes, and even payer remits posted through your clearing house. It is also relatively easy to access and manage inventory within the system such as payer profiles, financial classes, and even hard inventory such as implants, medical supplies, and other various equipment. All in all it is a fantastic system, in my opinion, for both managing the entire revenue cycle for professional, outpatient surgery center, and anesthesia practices.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I don't like about NextGen other than their reporting system. It is one of the best reporting system I have used and it is also one of the most detailed as well. When you first begin to use it, the options and various filters and sorting will be overwhelming. Once I understood how the data formatted within the reports, based on my selections, it became easier to generate the reports I need. The only other part that I really wish they would fix is how the system exports data into Excel. Most RCM systems have various issues when exporting reports into external formats such as CSV or Excel and while NextGen isn't the best, it also isn't the worst either. The reports can require a lot of manual reformatting (In Excel) before it can be properly used to analysis and format the data into visualizations and pivot tables.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are in the process of reviewing other practice management softwares for your practice and you happen to be on an older system, make sure you give NextGen a solid look. Their customer support and sales team are absolutely great; if you call them with questions I am confident you will be satisfied with their straightforward and no nonsense approach.

NextGet has been an asset to us in terms of practice management software. It has allowed us to properly manage our clients professional practices and ASC's and increase their bottomline from an accounts receivable standpoint all the way to their front office. The system is a great way to connect the entire clinic and billing team along with all the associated data for proper management. We have been able to increase our client's monthly revenue roughly 10-20% within the first 6 months consistently with the help of NextGen.

"Great RCM Software!"

What do you like best?

My favorite part about NextGen is their user interface, hands down. The main dashboard provides quick access to all it's feature along the top with captions. I really like how easy it is to open up an account via their encounter search system. Account summary provided access to all relevant data I need to effectively manage our patient's accounts. I really appreciate their account ledgers though, which provide an effective and visually appealing summary of transactions posted within the account. With the click of a button you can navigate through the entire account to view medical records, AR Follow Up Notes, and even payer remits posted through your clearing house. It is also relatively easy access to manage data inventory within your system such as payer profiles, financial classes, and even hard inventory such as DME. All in all it is a fantastic system, in my opinion, for both managing professional and facility practices.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I don't like about NextGen other than their reporting system. It is one of the best reporting system I have used and it is also one of the worst I have used as the same time. When you first begin to use it, the options and various filters and sorting will be overwhelming. Once I understood how the data formatted within the reports based on my selections it became easier for me to generate the reports I needed. The only other part that I really wish they would fix is how the system exports data into Excel reports for further manual analysis and review. The reports require a lot of manual reformatting if you want to be able to properly use the data to format visualizations and pivot tables.

NextGet has been an assist to us in terms of practice management RCM software. It has allowed us to properly manage our clients clinics and increase their bottomline from an accounts receivable standpoint all the way to their front office. The system is a great way to connect the entire clinic and it's associated data for proper management. We have been able to increase our client's monthly revenue roughly 15-20% within the first 6 months consistently with the help of NextGen.

NextGen® review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Nextgen is a Provern EHR System for Medical Offices "

What do you like best?

Speaking as a medical office professional. NextGen is a very strong platform with a good structure for their underlying database. It is easy and intuitive to learn and use. We replaced a lot of paperwork with this product. Now that we've implemented the solution, we need to stay current with billing and practice management solutions. We trust that NextGen will

What do you dislike?

As you have with most EHR systems, it is pretty easy to use but requires quite a bit of time to enter the data for our staff members. The ramp-up is pretty difficult. It is not the most intuitive software and for regular clerical office staff it is a bit difficult to learn quick. During our training, we spent time, money, and effort on extra training and we had to build customized templates...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Training, training, training. Be sure that your team is well ahead of training prior to implementing this solution. We had a heck of a time getting the staff comfortable with the different aspects of NextGen. I advise being sure that all the team reads, studies and works hard prior to install.

Healthfusion Meditouch is fully integrated into the NextGen system. Before we had this automation, we had staff to manualy upload/download everything. Now, the process is automated. This saves our office a ton of time and effort as well as billing hours and staff time performing these functions.

NextGen® review by User in Arts and Crafts
User in Arts and Crafts

"Easy to use, but can be slowed down by high user activity"

What do you like best?

Easy to navigate, easy to learn.The program has very few issues with day to day use. Very user-friendly and accessible. The program offers customizable views based on what you need and prefer. This makes scheduling for our company very efficient, which helps make our company profitable. Features like, appointment reminders, printable records and reports, direct messaging to other users within our network, and patient database are all essential to our business.

What do you dislike?

Gets very slow when there's a high amount of users online at once, especially if some are pulling and printing reports through the program. Occasionally would crash completely and require an off-site IT person to fix the issue. But this only happened roughly 4 times in the year and a half I used the program. But when it does go down, it unfortunately has a large negative effect on our business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do a test-run of the program to see if it meets your needs!

Easy to schedule patients and navigate through profiles. Nextgen made it very easy to manage our practice's schedules and patients. Without the program, the company could not exist or run properly, as the entire schedule and patient experience is revolved around it's features. Chart history helps us find where a problem or mistake was made, which helps us ensure we are operating with very few errors.

NextGen® review by Jonathan B.
Jonathan B.

"NextGen Review "

What do you like best?

As an admin I liked the user management console and the ease of use when creating, changing and disabling accounts.

What do you dislike?

The biggest disappointment of this program is no matter how well our servers were running, we dealt with a lot of slowness in our offices when connecting to the servers on the vendors end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure the vendor knows exactly what you are trying to accomplish when launching this program and that they have the availability to support the application whether it’s front end support or back end on the vendor side

Using this program to take offices away from paper and allow them to go electronic and have patient records available instantly.

NextGen® review by User in Medical Practice
User in Medical Practice

"NextGen is old now"

What do you like best?

Honestly, I don't like NextGen. But It isn't slow and it does exactly what it is suppose to do along with giving the end-user a fair amount of control in their own workplace

What do you dislike?

NextGen just has a terrible interface and the coloring and design isn't appealing. I wouldn't recommend nextgen when their or programs like EPIC.

NextGen was our company's older EMR. It helped keep track of patient info way better than allscripts

NextGen® review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Very hard to use, very big program."

What do you like best?

What I like is that it is appealing to the eye.

What do you dislike?

There are alot of clicks to get a simple task done. The telephone template is horrible. Staff complain about how long it takes to chart.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that it is a better product for specialty providers than for Primary Care. Price is better than most.

I do not think that we are solving any business problems with this software. A benefit is that we can share demographics in the next gen enterprise.

NextGen® review by User

"Pretty Good Practice Management"

What do you like best?

Nextgen Practice Management offers a lot of detail in its reporting systems which I found to be extremely helpful for my line of work. I also found that compared to other Practice Management tools, this software was pretty quick.

What do you dislike?

NextGen is a great software but continues to lag behind others in the space. There are several better options that provide enhanced reporting on a much better platform.

This practice management software provides just about everything you need at a relatively good price. Its fully capable of handling most ASC/Hospital systems.

NextGen® review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Claims experience"

What do you like best?

Next-gen is used at all state document the claim. It is used for processing payments and documentation. It allows for files to be uploaded. The interface is very simple.

What do you dislike?

Interface seems like it is from the early 2000s or a 1990. Links cannot be attached directly in the file notes. This meses up the formatting of the document.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a fairly simple interface to use for people of all ages.

It is somewhat helpful with claims experience.

NextGen® review by Ellen P.
Ellen P.

"Very easy to use. "

What do you like best?

What I like best is that it is very teachable to me employees

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that the program has a tendency to run slow

Business problems I solve revolve around technical support

NextGen® review by Kearstyn T.
Kearstyn T.

"Needs serious UX help"

What do you like best?

It does what it's supposed to, though it needs serious UX help.

What do you dislike?

Not user friendly, takes way too many steps to accomplish a task, interface looks like it's straight out of Windows 98.

We use EPM as part of our healthcare delivery service.

"Manage your practice "

What do you like best?

I like that there are multiple interfaces that connect to the software. This makes scheduling and billing much easier.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there are still numerous glitches with the software

Helps with managing a busy medical practice

"Very user friendly"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that NextGen allows for management of multiple doctors across one screen as well as setting doctor's up by practice and being able to switch between them without losing the work you have already done.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the fact that you can't carryover information between the databases

Having to use several different EHRS for different types of work.

"Work software"

What do you like best?

This was a very useful tool when needing to set up the coworkers I was working with during the day.

What do you dislike?

A little confusing to navigate sometimes.

Coworkers are able to get on from this screen and other to get to different things. Helps with scheduling a lot.

NextGen® review by User in Legal Services
User in Legal Services

"Limited Details"

What do you like best?

Multiple medical history available in profile for accessing previous appointment history for patients.

What do you dislike?

There is VERY limited information from each visit and no test results available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to ask hospital for teat results. They are not available here.

Ability to track medical appointments past and future.

"Making my life easier"

What do you like best?

I like the organization of the program. It makes going through patient files so easy and convenient.

What do you dislike?

It can be pretty confusing learning the in's and outs of the program. I find myself having issues with telephone calls and a few other tasks.

EHR organization and electronic documentation

NextGen® review by User in Medical Practice
User in Medical Practice

"Nextgen"

What do you like best?

Practice Management and EHR. The ability to tap into other systems inside the PM

What do you dislike?

The check-in process "flow" has to many screens to access, along with information not really needed at check-in.

Practice Management and EHR

"NextGen"

What do you like best?

Love how easy it is to navagate and user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I hate how it freezes up on screen while working and how many clicks it makes u do.

Our IT department handles it all.

"NextGen Review"

What do you like best?

Ability to easily review appointments scheduled.

What do you dislike?

Can't see all weights taken on the patient.

I am charting on my patients as a dietitian. There is a lot of free text space and it is organized.

NextGen® review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"NextGen is great to work with!"

What do you like best?

The intuitiveness of moving from the screen to screen.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit slow at times, on our network.

We are able to streamline patient care and researching billing issues.

Learning about NextGen® Practice Management Solutions?

* We monitor all NextGen® Practice Management Solutions reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.