Ninite

Simple installer and updater for windows applications

Work for Ninite?

Learning about Ninite?

Ninite Reviews

Showing 27 Ninite reviews
Ninite review by <span>Kyle R.</span>
Kyle R.

"Fantastic Service"

What do you like best?

I love how easy you can install the common software necessities, how they are up to date and ignores all the bloatware using Ninite. You can manage all of your software with it and update it all with ease. If you configure multiple PCs frequently and manage them, then Ninite is a must. You cannot find a more simple solution for what all Ninite offers.

What do you dislike?

It is incredible hard to dislike anything about Ninite. I've stared at this box for 10 minutes trying to type something I dislike about Ninite but simply cannot. The only thing I could pretend to dislike is how you have to purchase the pro service but even that is trivial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stop considering Ninite and just use it.

I am constantly configuring various new PCs at my job. I use Ninite to install my common basic software on every single one of them. It saves me time and effort, ensures the software is all up to date and virus free and easy to manage.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Ninite
Ninite review by <span>Dan G.</span>
Dan G.

"Easy patch management for single, or multiple computers"

What do you like best?

It's so easy to deploy. Command line switches make it easy to manage using RMM tools, or if you install it on a local machine, you can use it pretty easily. As someone that manages 2000+ devices, this tool makes it so easy to keep them all up to date it's hard not to recommend.

Ninite also has an option to install a program you are trying to update, if it doesn't yet exist. This means that we can use Ninite to prep new machines for clients.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had a better centralized user interface for those that manage many machines. We need to rely on the reporting from our RMM tool in order to get the success/failure reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ninite works very well at keeping everything up to date, but make sure you have a way to monitor its success if you are managing multiple machines.

Patch management. We keep everything up to date, from Flash, Java, Reader, Chrome, etc., to pretty much anything else that we've found to be vulnerabilities when not up to date.

What Other IT Management solution do you use?

Ninite review by <span>Sam O.</span>
Sam O.

"Excellent for automating software updating"

What do you like best?

I like that I can "Set and Forget" with this tool. I have it set so that it automatically runs across my network on a Sunday night and updates all of our standard apps. It is very very easy to use and once set up I don't really ever have to touch it again.

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything in this tool. If I had to pick something, I guess I would just like more applications to be supported. Possibly Microsoft Office or even integrated with Windows itself however that is more what WSUS is for. The only other thing is if applications are open then it doesn't run so I have had to script it to close apps that could be open (it runs at 2am so shouldn't cause an issue).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want something that will just work and not need to play around too much with, this is the best option. I left every bit of software in the script to ensure that I was capturing future possibilities and I wouldn't have to go back in and add it later.

All of our standard applications are kept up to date every week. I have turned off the auto updaters on things like Chrome, Firefox etc and let Ninite handle it all itself. It also means that since it runs under an Admin context we have no problems with users not having access to install them.

Ninite review by <span>Matthew R.</span>
Matthew R.

"Ninite is worth the setup!"

What do you like best?

I was able to get a custom installer for my favorite programs that I use on every machine, and have it accessible for when I do a new installation of a family or friend machine.

What do you dislike?

If I make a change, or find that I no longer use an app, I have to create a new installer. However, that's not a deal-breaker, since it's really easy to re-generate an installer!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great package installer. One installer that automatically pulls down any software you selected on installer generation. It's great to make sure all your software stays up-to-date.

Rather than trying to waste time with installing a lot of different programs over the network, I can push the one installer, and let it run on it's own, on the target machine.

Ninite review by <span>Christian C.</span>
Christian C.

"The best way to intall and keep software updated in your PC"

What do you like best?

Ninite is one of the best solutions around to automatize the installation and update of software in WIndows machines.

It'll automatically detect which version of the selected software suits best the computer, such as language and architecture (32/64-bits). Furthermore, it requires zero user input (the typical `Next, Next, Next, Accept, Install` behaviour of most installers) and will unmark any third-party sotware that might be offered through the installation process (such as toolbars, for example).

Finally, it's totally free. A paid, pro version exists, focused on enterprises, with more advanced features such as installations across multiple computers in a network, for example.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to dislike Ninite, it does its job particularily well.

However, it could use some more customization (such as the possibility to override the system language, for example). Additionally, whenever an installation fails for any reason, an option exists to retry it; the problem is that using such option will reinstall ALL the apps in the queue.

I like to keep my computers as updated as possible. Ninite provides me with a simple shortcut I can use whenever I like, which will automatically detect if any of my apps need to be updated and do so in the background, without me having to worry at all.

Ninite review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Ninite is a huge time saver! I could not work without it."

What do you like best?

Automatically keep your 3rd party applications up to date. This is easy to do with their well documented command line interface. I use powershell to kick off the install through CLI.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike about Ninite. The product just works!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just go for it. Start saving time now.

Do you spend a lot of time patching your computers? Then get Ninite Pro - it is a total game changer, There is a huge collection of apps that it will install, update and/or remove.

The time it takes to patch computers manually is easily solved with Ninite Pro. It used to take days to get all computers on the same version of flash, java, google chrome, firefox, etc - now it is done daily and automatically!

Learning about Ninite?

* We monitor all Ninite reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.