NoteTab

NoteTab is a Notepad replacement HTML and text editor with text-processing, search and replace, capture and copy text to clipboard, reusable text snippets and macros, and other utilities to help the editing process.

Work for NoteTab?

Ask NoteTab a Question
Showing 19 NoteTab reviews
NoteTab review by <span>Wiz F.</span>
Wiz F.

Recommendation from a long time NoteTab user

What do you like best?

NoteTab Pro (and free) is one of the best rich text and html editors I have, or have ever used. It is a tab oriented text editor. It colors html tags with different colors for links and text. NoteTab makes use of a system called clips, which are written in plain text readable clipcode. A user can edit the built in and downloadable clips or create their own. I use my own html clip to load any tag, attribute, element or modification I want to an html page. The current version ships with an html 5 clip that has all of the W3C approved tags and attributes.

Any number of tabs can be opened as new pages, or saved works in already in use. You can drag and drop a text or html file onto NoteTab (even on an open tab) and it will open as a new tab! The tabs line up along the top and have left and right arrows on one side to scroll through them. Or, the open tabs can be stacked in long horizontal rows if you prefer.

The search function can either search the tab you are in, or all open tabs for matching words, terms, codes, or regular expressions. There is also a search disk function that searches any folders you list, including or excluding sub-directories. Matching documents can be selected to open in separate tabs. There is a search and replace box for the open tabs that accepts both plain text and regular expressions.

There are two web browser buttons on a toolbar to open your current document in one of two configurable web browsers (if they are installed). NoteTab does outlines, plain text, rich text, unicode and html, as well as php and other code languages that are not binary encoded. If another editor modifies the content of a tab that is open in NoteTab, a box pops up asking if you want to refresh and load the new content.

What do you dislike?

My only issue is that the right-left arrows for scrolling the tabs are together on the right side and cannot be separated to have one on the far left and the other on the far right (like Firefox browsers have).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like to type code, or outlines, or just text documents and need a more powerful program than Notepad, or Notepad++, try out NoteTab. The tabs can be dragged to different poswitions and the clip libraries make it very versatile.

I learned to write html code in the year 1998 and use NoteTab to write all of the web pages I have created or altered for myself and webmaster clients. I also use NoteTab to write and edit CGI, Perl and PHP files and especially, .htaccess files and IP blocklists. Nothing else works as well for me.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about NoteTab
NoteTab review by <span>Jim H.</span>
Jim H.

NoteTab is the most-used program on my computer since around 2000

What do you like best?

I use it for everything. It reloads on boot with many important business and personal files. That means the information I really use is always at hand. The metric conversions are very handy, and the consistently year to year is appreciated. I also use it to strip formatting information from text before I paste it into another app.

What do you dislike?

Dislike? There really is nothing I actually "disllke", but there are a few things which occasionally annoy me.

Setting it up when I change platforms is always a bit of a pain. I like it organized is a specific way, with only what I really use on the screen. The whole "Libraries" thing is a problem because from install to install I just can't remember where to find the options to disable everything. There are also times I wish I could do just a tad of text formatting (bold, italics) but I live without it with no problems. Sometimes I wish there was a way to set up linked files for projects.

As a sales engineer, I regularly write letters and emails with the same information. I maintain an evolving set of boilerplate which I lift from NoteTab and insert in the new document, editing as necessary for the occasion. There are many other ways to do this, but NoteTab offers unformatted text which is instantly available with no searching.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

NoteTab review by <span>Marc F.</span>
Marc F.

NoteTab Pro by Fookes Software

What do you like best?

The 'outline' function is a fantastic asset to the software. I keep sets of notes together using this. I also find the clip/function libraries very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Hard to find anything to dislike in NoteTab, but if pressed, I would say that using the libraries mentioned above is quite a steep learning curve. That's not really a problem though, is it? It's worth learning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can't recommend NoteTab enough. It has the features you'd expect (code syntax highlighting, etc.), but the additional functionality of multiple tabs, outlines, a favourites window and clip libraries (installed and customizable) puts it way ahead of the rest.

The outline function is really handy in business use. It enables me to plan projects step by step without being overwhelmed by on-screen text overkill. It is also a great way to index notes on a specific category.

NoteTab review by <span>Mark K.</span>
Mark K.

The best text editor - & I've been arounf since CPM DOS

What do you like best?

Speed. Simplicity. Features. So many features. Yet they don't appear - like so many programs - to be annoying 'bells & whistles' with little real use.

What do you dislike?

The Lite, Standard & Pro tiers confuse me. I don't get it. The freebie Lite I get. I Pro I get but why something in-between?

When I used to program & project manage a lot I found it not only to be a great editing tool but a great info management tool too. The programming & other libraries are to die for.

Now I write more & love the fact that I can get the words down quick without fussing about the formatting. NoteTab is the best distraction-free writing tool ever - but when I want to move stuff around, find/replace, automate input - it's the best.

NoteTab review by <span>Ingrid M.</span>
Ingrid M.

NoteTab - A powerful text editor.

What do you like best?

- Fast to load and edit hundreds of thousands of lines

- Regular Expression support

- Text Statistics and Word Frequency

- Easy to modify HTML tags

What do you dislike?

The library can be complicated to use, other than that, nothing much to complain.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a lightweight and fast text editor, I recommend NoteTab. NoteTab has every useful function needed when editing a text or HTML file, such as regular expression, syntax highlighting, text statistics and support HTML5 and CSS3,

I recommend at least trying the free version (Light) or the trial version they offer.

I use NoteTab to sort information needed to use along Python scripts and to compose emails.

NoteTab review by <span>Jeffrey D.</span>
Jeffrey D.

NoteTab a Text Editior and more for all season

What do you like best?

NoteTab Pro is without a doubt one of the most feature laden versatile programs on the market today that any user can benefit from. In over 20 years of I am still constantly finding more features and everday uses of the program. It is the program that I open first when I start my computer in the morning and the last one I close when logging off in the evening

What do you dislike?

To be honest I beside a slightly weak speak check dictionary compaded to MS Word I have none

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try NotTab trail version even if all you use it for is a simple text editor the just being able to switch from one text file to another using Tabs makes it a winner

I use NoteTab Pro as a Text Editor to write and modify boiler plate , to write and edit webpages (HTML), Parse/Search/Manipulate Data, FTP Utility, additional NoteTab has a large suite of useful utilities that in a date and time stamp function which makes NoteTab ideal for taking notes that require time documentation, a password, password creator, English/Metric conversions etc. NoteTab Pro is dollar for dollar one if not the most feature laden program on the market today and I have been a happy user of for over 20 years.

Learning about NoteTab?

* We monitor all NoteTab reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Categories