NVivo

NVivo is software that supports qualitative and mixed methods research. It's designed to help organize, analyze and find insights in unstructured, or qualitative data like: interviews, open-ended survey responses, articles, social media and web content.

Work for NVivo?

Learning about NVivo?

NVivo Reviews

Ask NVivo a Question
Showing 10 NVivo reviews
NVivo review by G2 Crowd User in Higher Education
G2 Crowd User in Higher Education

Time consuming with great results!

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I really like NVivo's easy to use interface, as well as its output. I think it is valuable to have a way to turn qualitative data into some sort of quantitative output so that is neat. I also like that you have control over what main ideas you put into groups, it's not automated.

What do you dislike?

Setting up a project still is a little time consuming. Although the software uses key words and phrases to group, I've found I've had to still check all the comments for error in grouping, etc. Also I've had some trouble with crashing, but mostly when I started using it.

NVivo allows us to take student and staff responses and turn them into number based ideas. We place a high value on qualitative data, but didn't really have a place or way to use it prior to NVivo software. Now, we can organize and utilize the data to make positive policy and program change.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about NVivo
NVivo review by G2 Crowd User
G2 Crowd User

Intuitive and Very Helpful

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I really like being about to keep my sources organized for literature reviews. I can easily code and revisit sources when I begin writing.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to import a list of words and have NVivo automatically search on those words. I suspect, though, that this function may not be the intended purpose of the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to use. It has a very Windows-based GUI. Similar to Office Product, which made it easy to adapt to. I haven't discovered any unappealing limitations or issues. So far, so good.

Organization, organization, organization. Not only has NVivo helped me with my literature reviews, it has also been a great tool for document and text-based analysis.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Natural Language Processing (NLP) solution do you use?

NVivo review by G2 Crowd User in Government Administration
G2 Crowd User in Government Administration

Easy to use. Intuitive design.

Updated On
Validated Review
What do you like best?

NVivo is straight forward and intuitive. It's easy to train staff to use, which allows short term staff (e.g. graduate research assistants) to help with the coding workload.

What do you dislike?

No real complaints. The program runs well and operates as expected. It would be interesting to see NVivo add some data visualization tools to the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

NVivo was straight forward and easy to use. It required little training to get up and running. Graduate research assistants had no trouble learning it on the fly. Anytime I have an opportunity to include transcripts or other qualitative data in my research, NVivo is my go to software program.

I used NVivo to code interview transcripts from people at several sites across the US who were implement nutrition and physical activity programs. The data we received from these sites had great information, but was highly unstructured. Reviewing the transcripts in NVivo allowed us to identify patterns between the sites that would have otherwise been missed. NVivo gave us the tools to add context to our quantitative data and capture the changes going on at each site more completely. We were able to gain insight into some of the more nuanced changes that occur leading up to policy changes at the local and state levels.

NVivo review by <span>Heidi R.</span>
Heidi R.

Easy to Code, Hard to Analyze

Validated Review
What do you like best?

It is easy to code text or images. It is intuitive to get started coding.

What do you dislike?

Once coding is complete, it is very difficult to produce and examine quantitative descriptive stats on the codes applied.

I have used NVivo for qualitative coding for research projects in the past, but have now switched ti Atlas.ti, which has greater functionality for my purposes.

NVivo review by <span>Javier L.</span>
Javier L.

Good qualitative software

Validated Review
What do you like best?

It's very seamless and quite stable (e.g. does not lag, and barely any hiccups in the program).

What do you dislike?

The lack of cloud functionality. Having to have this installed in a computer makes it difficult for cross team collaboration

I know they provide site licenses which make it much cheaper than having to purchase individual licenses.

NVivo review by G2 Crowd User in Research
G2 Crowd User in Research
What do you like best?

The best of Nvivo is that it allows you to hold all the information about a project in a single place. No need to have lots of files over your computer, you just have every piece of information in one place.

What do you dislike?

It made my computer much slower. Maybe because of the amount of information used in my project

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using diverse kinds of information such as text, images and video, nvivo is perfect for you

Qualitative research, specifically grounded theory

Learning about NVivo?

* We monitor all NVivo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.