NVivo

4.0
(42 reviews)

NVivo is software that supports qualitative and mixed methods research. It's designed to help organize, analyze and find insights in unstructured, or qualitative data like: interviews, open-ended survey responses, articles, social media and web content.

Work for NVivo?

Learning about NVivo?

NVivo Reviews

Showing 42 NVivo reviews
NVivo review by Hayden J.
Hayden J.

"Limited experience but fairly easy to use"

What do you like best?

I really liked the ease of access to basic data entry and interpretation. I enjoy the design of the product - a simple, mid-2000s interface that runs smoothly and does not have unnecessary bells and whistles. Also, it offers user-interface programming!

What do you dislike?

Due to limited experience, there were so many components it seemed a little overwhelming. The product is still very new, and there will always be upgrades ready to be made. I did have multiple instances with the product crashing although it could have been computer related.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend watching video tutorials or reading websites that might have tutorials, instructions, or tips on how to navigate and use NVivo. I can only compare it to Atlas.ti, but I would prefer to use NVivo over Atlas.ti if I were to use it in a business setting. I hope that the company makes strides sooner rather than later to rise to the top of the qualitative analysis applications.

I have only used NVivo in a classroom setting, but it seemed to have many potential benefits for business. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to export and import data to Microsoft Excel AND SPSS.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about NVivo
NVivo review by Ellen S.
Ellen S.

"Ethnic identity publication project "

What do you like best?

The best thing about NVivo is the ability to collaborate across organizations and research groups, in order to compare and contrast notes and findings.

What do you dislike?

Until recently, NVivo lacked the interface to allow at a glance coding placement on screen in an easily accessible place. While other products have had these capabilities for some time now, NVivo figured out how to integrate these capabilities into its unique approach to qualitative data analysis. These features are quite helpful in the ability to toggle back and forth between coding, parsing the data into topical subject areas and cross referencing. Data analysis is enhanced through the ability to view coded topics in various formats, and this feature contributes to the strength of analysis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Any good researcher will evaluate tools and processes necessary to the project. Among the research tools considered, NVivo can be particularly helpful with small business users, and the software is widely used in government, education and not for profit research.

Real world researchers in NGO or not for profit settings generally lack funding to purchase new software for each project. The ability to collaborate across organizations and pool staffing resources without incurring new expenses makes researching and publishing easier.

What Natural Language Processing (NLP) solution do you use?

NVivo review by khalipha a.
khalipha a.

"A bit Confusing, but worth it When you pass the learning curve"

What do you like best?

What I like about Nvivo is the various options you have to import different data types. It is very handy when it comes to handling and analysis qualitative data, most especially text. Another interesting feature on Nvivo is the data visualisation options such as word clouds and word trees. They help when trying to summarise and give a general picture about a large amount of text.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the interface can get a bit confusing, most especially for new users. I also find it confusing when moving between tabs like from the nodes section to other sections like visualisation (word clouds)

I use Nvivo for analysing my research data. I also use it to analyse responses I get from my students during one to one sessions when they write a summary of their feedback at the end of sessions.

NVivo review by Rocirys R.
Rocirys R.

"NVivo, fantastic tool for the organization of any project."

What do you like best?

Currently in the field where I work job is handled a lot of information, which is essential to keep these data organized, I have been able to achieve thanks to NVivo. This tool has allowed me not only to organize, but also to analyze the texts regardless of the format that comes from, editing texts for the construction of reports, among others.

What do you dislike?

NVivo turns out to be a little complicated at first because it has a lot of functionalities which has cost me to adapt, but every day I discover a little more about this wonderful tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indeed this application meets all my expectations, it has a very friendly graphical environment, and as I use it I discover new things about it. It is an application that is worth discovering and implementing.

This application has allowed us to visualize graphically a lot of information and that was of great importance for the teamwork, but most important the organization of the data for a thorough analysis and for the creation of reports.

NVivo review by Internal Consultant in Professional Training & Coaching
Internal Consultant in Professional Training & Coaching

"nVivo for sentiment analysis"

What do you like best?

This is an excellent software for theme analysis and sentiment analysis in open-ended survey responses and interviews. The latest updates have improved the processes immensely.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if the software made it easier to run comparisons between the open-ended response items and the quantitative items in a survey. It's very easy to compare text responses across the dataset, but inter-item correlations are tricky to get to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch the tutorial videos and search for additional training on YouTube before beginning. Database setup (the spreadsheet file) is absolutely critical to getting the software to work effectively.

I use nVivo for customer satisfaction survey data. It is great to work with, but takes a lot to get used to.

"Intuitive to use"

What do you like best?

It's easy to get started and to figure out the basics for a project. I appreciate how easy it is to develop nodes and to keep the data organized. I haven't used all of the features (e.g., importing images, videos), but it's a great way for me to analyze my interview data.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to share projects with colleagues in different physical locations. Transferring files isn't easy. For example, I was working on a project with a colleague and we weren't able to figure out how to share NVivo files electronically. We contacted the help staff at NVivo and their advice wasn't helpful. We tried sharing the files through several cloud services, but we could not upload them successfully. I think if NVivo could figure out a way for collaborators (who work in different physical locations, on different networks) to share files this would make the project much better.

I'm in academics. I use this program for my research. I do a lot of interview research and this program is helpful for me to manage my datasets, run reports on my data, visualize it, and so on. Eventually, I will use this program to teach my students how to conduct qualitative research. Even though I'm early in my career and have used this project sporadically, it's my favorite.

NVivo review by User

"Very useful for qualitative research"

What do you like best?

Good tool for organizing qualitative research. I used it for organizing notes from interviews and focus groups and was able to use it to inform survey questions and publishing results in a more quantifiable way. double checking of data is also possible, which is very handy if you are publishing your results.

What do you dislike?

I can't say I had any problems with it. But I am not an advanced user so improvements are possible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your company can pay for it, definitely get it if you do qualitative research but would like to organize your notes and thoughts in an easily verifiable way. I'm not sure if I would get it if it wasn't paid for by the company but i actually do not know how much it costs.

Interview and focus groups information organization and publications. If you want to have it all in one place, this tool is very useful for these purposes.

G2 Crowd User in Higher Education

"Time consuming with great results!"

What do you like best?

I really like NVivo's easy to use interface, as well as its output. I think it is valuable to have a way to turn qualitative data into some sort of quantitative output so that is neat. I also like that you have control over what main ideas you put into groups, it's not automated.

What do you dislike?

Setting up a project still is a little time consuming. Although the software uses key words and phrases to group, I've found I've had to still check all the comments for error in grouping, etc. Also I've had some trouble with crashing, but mostly when I started using it.

NVivo allows us to take student and staff responses and turn them into number based ideas. We place a high value on qualitative data, but didn't really have a place or way to use it prior to NVivo software. Now, we can organize and utilize the data to make positive policy and program change.

NVivo review by User in Research
User in Research

"Perfect for Qualitative Analysis Review"

What do you like best?

I really love how user friendly NVivo is. It's easy to switch between Macs and Windows platforms. I love that I can import my codebooks and can easily code things quickly. The data visualization tools are also very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that can be frustrating with NVivo is sometimes when I am switching back and forth between .a Mac and a Windows that the files take much longer to load on a Mac.

I switched to NVivo from Atlas.ti because it's faster and more affordable to use. My team and I are looking to use this software to quickly completely qualitative data analysis.

NVivo review by Tyler B.
Tyler B.

"User-friendly and interactive"

What do you like best?

I appreciate that the program takes the old-fashioned practice of sticky notes and highlighters for textual analysis and provides a modern version of this in a technologically-appropriate way (i.e. flagging and color coding thematic observations). I further appreciate the ability to import textual data rather than having to manually input it.

What do you dislike?

The word count feature is unreliable for discerning themes within textual data--however, it may be improved if expanded to include phrase restriction in the search criteria options.

I used this technology to work with Student Affairs data at a large, +30,000 student university. It helped to organize and manage large amounts of qualitative data.

NVivo review by User

"Makes Research Easy - Just Ignore the Bells and Whistles"

What do you like best?

For NVivo, I like how easy it is to keep all of my data together and searchable. I can run queries to find specific keywords and create charts of my data with ease. Changing my codebook and creating parent/child codes is simple and saves a ton of time.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that I can't save my presets easily. When I create bar charts of my coded data, I always want to look at the number of occurrences versus percentiles. I have to change this setting manually for every code. I'd also like an easier way to exit the editing screen for my data. These really are nitpicks, but they're relatively annoying.

Being able to keep my annotations, data, and coding in one place is superb. Being able to change my codebook and easily visualize my codes saves me so much time and energy.

G2 Crowd User

"Intuitive and Very Helpful"

What do you like best?

I really like being about to keep my sources organized for literature reviews. I can easily code and revisit sources when I begin writing.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to import a list of words and have NVivo automatically search on those words. I suspect, though, that this function may not be the intended purpose of the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to use. It has a very Windows-based GUI. Similar to Office Product, which made it easy to adapt to. I haven't discovered any unappealing limitations or issues. So far, so good.

Organization, organization, organization. Not only has NVivo helped me with my literature reviews, it has also been a great tool for document and text-based analysis.

NVivo review by G2 Crowd User in Government Administration
G2 Crowd User in Government Administration

"Easy to use. Intuitive design."

What do you like best?

NVivo is straight forward and intuitive. It's easy to train staff to use, which allows short term staff (e.g. graduate research assistants) to help with the coding workload.

What do you dislike?

No real complaints. The program runs well and operates as expected. It would be interesting to see NVivo add some data visualization tools to the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

NVivo was straight forward and easy to use. It required little training to get up and running. Graduate research assistants had no trouble learning it on the fly. Anytime I have an opportunity to include transcripts or other qualitative data in my research, NVivo is my go to software program.

I used NVivo to code interview transcripts from people at several sites across the US who were implement nutrition and physical activity programs. The data we received from these sites had great information, but was highly unstructured. Reviewing the transcripts in NVivo allowed us to identify patterns between the sites that would have otherwise been missed. NVivo gave us the tools to add context to our quantitative data and capture the changes going on at each site more completely. We were able to gain insight into some of the more nuanced changes that occur leading up to policy changes at the local and state levels.

NVivo review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"NVivo allowed for my research team to effectively and efficiently conduct qualitative research."

What do you like best?

I like the Word Trees and word maps the most. I also utilized the word search querys.

What do you dislike?

I wish there had been more of visual displays and applications to display the data. The word maps and tree was great but I'd like to see more visuals or charts with number representations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Create more visual displays and maps, watch a video before hand to see if it's right for your company

I was solving doing thematic content analysis on large sets of data, specifically interviews. NVivo creates an efficient and effective way to explore, observe, and describe qualitative data. It allowed my team to better organize the data which saved us so much time.

NVivo review by Rachel S.
Rachel S.

"NVivo Review"

What do you like best?

It was easy to use and made qualitative research simple.

What do you dislike?

I feel like there were features of NVivo that I was not utilizing because I did not know about them, and I could not find any training that NVivo offered.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use if you are interested in text analysis. It makes text analysis easy and can save you a lot of time.

We used NVivo to conduct text searches for keywords.

NVivo review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Awkward at first but gets easier once you get the hang of it"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature is the Word cloud for presenting qualitative data .Also, it is pretty easy to to create nodes and sub-nodes. I have not used the analytic part yet, so the jury is out on that.

What do you dislike?

Nvivo icons to execute commands to code interview transcripts are not immediately intuitive. Also, I wish there was a quicker way for assigning interview text to node/sub-node categories. NLP is just not very good. If you can, you should get transcription services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Text Analysis feature is pretty good. NLP feature needs more work.

In healthcare research, we use to manage, code and analyze qualitative data such as interview transcripts.

G2 Crowd User in Higher Education

"Excellent product for qualitative data"

What do you like best?

When you input data it can show you the frequency of different words, and create a word cloud to visualize that frequency level. I recently found this really helpful on a project we were conducting.

What do you dislike?

I didn't bother with any of the tutorials, and just jumped right in. It wasn't as intuitive as I would have liked, and spent more time on trial and error.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give this software a try, you'll be happy with the new ways it helps you explore your qualitative data.

I used it to take a qualitative data set from a large group of our employees and see what the trends were, and develop a "why" statement for our department.

NVivo review by Edward M.
Edward M.

"Qualitative Research based "

What do you like best?

The software was relatively easy to access and navigate.

What do you dislike?

It could be slow at times. This may have been a result of the hardware that I had access to at the time, but it slowed down the process to a standstill sometimes.

It was used in a research setting to analyze large amounts of confidential documents. The benefits were largely realized.

NVivo review by User

"NVivo is a great software "

What do you like best?

- for the most part it's very intuitive and user friendly, it didn't take me too long to figure it out

- i like that my coding is color coded

- seeing my coding structure on the side of the screen is very convenient

What do you dislike?

- I haven't used the matrix option too much did not seem intuitive

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do the tutorials before starting to use it they are very helpful.

I use it in research to code my data from interviews or surveys. It makes summarizing large amounts of information very easy and helps me figure out key themes.

NVivo review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Research
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Research

"Nvivo is an efficient tool for coding and analyzing research data."

What do you like best?

I used Nvivo for analyzing my research data. I had 16 semi-structured interviews which I transcribed and coded using the program. I liked the color-coding aspects of the text analysis.

What do you dislike?

There was a bit of a learning curve and some of the features were not intuitive. I did not receive much training. Better access to training resources would be great.

I was doing academic research. Coming up with root cause analysis for certain behaviors in my field of study. The benefits were general and useful in determining future policy.

NVivo review by Jesse R.
Jesse R.

"Energy Reporting Analyst"

What do you like best?

Great for qualitative data analysis. This makes analysis a lot easier than originally expected

What do you dislike?

So far I have had a great experience. This product has provided a lot of time savings for me.

Great for qualitative data analysis. This product has saved me a lot of time.

NVivo review by Heidi R.
Heidi R.

"Easy to Code, Hard to Analyze"

What do you like best?

It is easy to code text or images. It is intuitive to get started coding.

What do you dislike?

Once coding is complete, it is very difficult to produce and examine quantitative descriptive stats on the codes applied.

I have used NVivo for qualitative coding for research projects in the past, but have now switched ti Atlas.ti, which has greater functionality for my purposes.

NVivo review by Javier L.
Javier L.

"Good qualitative software"

What do you like best?

It's very seamless and quite stable (e.g. does not lag, and barely any hiccups in the program).

What do you dislike?

The lack of cloud functionality. Having to have this installed in a computer makes it difficult for cross team collaboration

I know they provide site licenses which make it much cheaper than having to purchase individual licenses.

NVivo review by Dennis Rajiv S.
Dennis Rajiv S.

"Good program"

What do you like best?

Overall user interface and optics. Coding ribbons.

What do you dislike?

Not sure if there is anything I dislike about NVivo. I have not had any issues with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn about the program's various features.

Great tool for qualitative data analysis.

"Easy to use."

What do you like best?

I like the condept maps NVivo had to offer. They made it easy for me to track my ideas as a student working on qualitative research.

What do you dislike?

Nvivo was a useful tool to use overall.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the memos option to track any questions that come up as your coding data. It's a great option to use to track your own thoughts.

NVivo makes it easy to code data and to establish inter-coder reliability.

G2 Crowd User in Higher Education

"Nvivo helps to get insights on large texts and other kind of qualitative data"

What do you like best?

The best of Nvivo is that it allows you to hold all the information about a project in a single place. No need to have lots of files over your computer, you just have every piece of information in one place.

What do you dislike?

It made my computer much slower. Maybe because of the amount of information used in my project

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using diverse kinds of information such as text, images and video, nvivo is perfect for you

Qualitative research, specifically grounded theory

NVivo review by User in Research
User in Research

"Helpful for text, could be refined for closed indicators"

What do you like best?

ability to read through text, search for keywords, easily navigate to and from transcripts

What do you dislike?

clunky/less able to put together tables for closed-ended indicators

Effective way of organizing and reporting on qualitative data

NVivo review by User

"Great software, but could be more user friendly "

What do you like best?

Ability to code using keyboard shortcuts

What do you dislike?

-Can't work collaboratively on projects easily

-Difficult to review what you coded for (not a big fan of the coding stripes; hard to navigate)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make it easier to see which codes you highlighted. I would love a legend on the side with colors for highlighting different parent nodes.

We are analyzing interviews for themes that can be used to improve public health.

G2 Crowd User

"glorified excell, but much less functional"

What do you like best?

Honestly, as a qualitative researcher, I can't stand NVivo and have nothing good to say.

What do you dislike?

This program has crashed my computer at least twice. It is highly overpriced, and doesnt do anything that excel can't do. Takes up an inordinate amount of space on my hard drive, and the nvivo file types are easily corrupted. Terrible interface. Completely non-intuitive, and sharing is hard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avoid spending money on this garbage.

I need to code qualitative research.

NVivo review by Logan A.
Logan A.

"Using NVIVO for thematic coding"

What do you like best?

I appreciated the user friendliness of NVIVO.

What do you dislike?

I did not appreciate trying to print at times using the software.

None, I used it for research.

NVivo review by User in Higher Education

"Great software that eases the qualitative research process of coding"

What do you like best?

Being able to highlight different topics within the same interview.

What do you dislike?

Some technical issues with the software

Research problems were helped to cut out the majority of the manual and tedious work that goes into qualitative analysis. Makes it easier to organize and condense codes while being able to look at how you progressed over your project all in one place

NVivo review by Juanita M.
Juanita M.

"Great Qualitative Software "

What do you like best?

Coding themes and information for my data

What do you dislike?

Small analysis and shorter focus on trend

Themes and frequencies of affective domains of learning

NVivo review by User

"NVivo experience for Master's Research Project"

What do you like best?

NVivo's ability to sort and organize-- I am a very organized person and it's like a digital filing cabinet!

What do you dislike?

If passages are tied to multiple codes, they often end up repeated which can get confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gain a thorough understanding of the software before jumping in.

NVivo makes a large amount of qualitative data manageable.

NVivo review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"NVivo experience"

What do you like best?

Coding on PDF documents and annotating texts

What do you dislike?

Inability to search keywords on documents

Qualitative research

NVivo review by G2 Crowd User in Research
G2 Crowd User in Research

"Nvivo is an amazingly powerful qualitative analysis tool"

What do you like best?

Lots of versatility in the types of analyses that can be done within Nvivo. I love the word cloud feature!

What do you dislike?

Not always the most intuitive system to navigate, but with practice, it gets easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I took an Nvivo workshop and found it incredibly helpful!

Nvivo has been tremendously helpful for qualitative coding of interview transcripts for social science research.

"NVivo"

What do you like best?

It is easy to run inter-rater reliability. I also appreciate the ability to download the coded text for each node separately.

What do you dislike?

It is a bit difficult to review the coding stripes on the right side when reviewing the coding of multiple coders for a transcript.

I am analyzing qualitative interview data for public health research.

NVivo review by User in Professional Training & Coaching
User in Professional Training & Coaching

"A go-to tool for qualitative analysis"

What do you like best?

NVivo has flexible, user-friendly tools for organizing complex qualitative data.

What do you dislike?

The price is a bit high for the seemingly limited features available.

We use NVivo for analysis of our participant interviews in our learning problems. This is helpful when writing reports for senior management.

G2 Crowd User

"best tool for qualitative aalyses"

What do you like best?

It its intuitive to use. It allows multiple users to work collaboratively on coding projects.

What do you dislike?

Nothing - its a great tool. However, it is more expensive than the similar tools

We use it to code interviews and survey responses

NVivo review by User

"User friendly and navigatable. "

What do you like best?

I like it's intuitive data organizing mechanics and how the platform incorporates a coherent color system.

What do you dislike?

Could minimize text and replace with images.

I use it for mixed methods research and text analysis.

"Very efficient!"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use and easy to learn the maneuvering.

What do you dislike?

Very sensitive. Easy to change data accidentally.

Analyzing secondary trauma in victims service providers. Inconclusive results.

NVivo review by G2 Crowd User in Research
G2 Crowd User in Research

"Difficult to use but valuable software"

What do you like best?

The ability to code transcripts on a sub-sentence level

What do you dislike?

The confusing and non-intuitive UX. It was difficult to learn.

The need to analyze and code transcripts

NVivo review by G2 Crowd User in Marketing and Advertising
G2 Crowd User in Marketing and Advertising

"Good Product for Market Research"

What do you like best?

It's flexibility to handle and produce qualitative reporting.

What do you dislike?

Software is a bit outdated and hard to use if you don't have prior experience/training

Analyze qualitative data

Learning about NVivo?

* We monitor all NVivo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.