NVivo

4.0

NVivo is software that supports qualitative and mixed methods research. It's designed to help organize, analyze and find insights in unstructured, or qualitative data like: interviews, open-ended survey responses, articles, social media and web content.

Work for NVivo?

Learning about NVivo?

NVivo Reviews

Showing 15 NVivo reviews
NVivo review by khalipha a.
khalipha a.

"A bit Confusing, but worth it When you pass the learning curve"

What do you like best?

What I like about Nvivo is the various options you have to import different data types. It is very handy when it comes to handling and analysis qualitative data, most especially text. Another interesting feature on Nvivo is the data visualisation options such as word clouds and word trees. They help when trying to summarise and give a general picture about a large amount of text.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the interface can get a bit confusing, most especially for new users. I also find it confusing when moving between tabs like from the nodes section to other sections like visualisation (word clouds)

I use Nvivo for analysing my research data. I also use it to analyse responses I get from my students during one to one sessions when they write a summary of their feedback at the end of sessions.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about NVivo
NVivo review by Rocirys R.
Rocirys R.

"NVivo, fantastic tool for the organization of any project."

What do you like best?

Currently in the field where I work job is handled a lot of information, which is essential to keep these data organized, I have been able to achieve thanks to NVivo. This tool has allowed me not only to organize, but also to analyze the texts regardless of the format that comes from, editing texts for the construction of reports, among others.

What do you dislike?

NVivo turns out to be a little complicated at first because it has a lot of functionalities which has cost me to adapt, but every day I discover a little more about this wonderful tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indeed this application meets all my expectations, it has a very friendly graphical environment, and as I use it I discover new things about it. It is an application that is worth discovering and implementing.

This application has allowed us to visualize graphically a lot of information and that was of great importance for the teamwork, but most important the organization of the data for a thorough analysis and for the creation of reports.

What Natural Language Processing (NLP) solution do you use?

G2 Crowd User in Higher Education

"Time consuming with great results!"

What do you like best?

I really like NVivo's easy to use interface, as well as its output. I think it is valuable to have a way to turn qualitative data into some sort of quantitative output so that is neat. I also like that you have control over what main ideas you put into groups, it's not automated.

What do you dislike?

Setting up a project still is a little time consuming. Although the software uses key words and phrases to group, I've found I've had to still check all the comments for error in grouping, etc. Also I've had some trouble with crashing, but mostly when I started using it.

NVivo allows us to take student and staff responses and turn them into number based ideas. We place a high value on qualitative data, but didn't really have a place or way to use it prior to NVivo software. Now, we can organize and utilize the data to make positive policy and program change.

G2 Crowd User

"Intuitive and Very Helpful"

What do you like best?

I really like being about to keep my sources organized for literature reviews. I can easily code and revisit sources when I begin writing.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to import a list of words and have NVivo automatically search on those words. I suspect, though, that this function may not be the intended purpose of the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's easy to use. It has a very Windows-based GUI. Similar to Office Product, which made it easy to adapt to. I haven't discovered any unappealing limitations or issues. So far, so good.

Organization, organization, organization. Not only has NVivo helped me with my literature reviews, it has also been a great tool for document and text-based analysis.

NVivo review by G2 Crowd User in Government Administration
G2 Crowd User in Government Administration

"Easy to use. Intuitive design."

What do you like best?

NVivo is straight forward and intuitive. It's easy to train staff to use, which allows short term staff (e.g. graduate research assistants) to help with the coding workload.

What do you dislike?

No real complaints. The program runs well and operates as expected. It would be interesting to see NVivo add some data visualization tools to the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

NVivo was straight forward and easy to use. It required little training to get up and running. Graduate research assistants had no trouble learning it on the fly. Anytime I have an opportunity to include transcripts or other qualitative data in my research, NVivo is my go to software program.

I used NVivo to code interview transcripts from people at several sites across the US who were implement nutrition and physical activity programs. The data we received from these sites had great information, but was highly unstructured. Reviewing the transcripts in NVivo allowed us to identify patterns between the sites that would have otherwise been missed. NVivo gave us the tools to add context to our quantitative data and capture the changes going on at each site more completely. We were able to gain insight into some of the more nuanced changes that occur leading up to policy changes at the local and state levels.

G2 Crowd User in Higher Education

"Excellent product for qualitative data"

What do you like best?

When you input data it can show you the frequency of different words, and create a word cloud to visualize that frequency level. I recently found this really helpful on a project we were conducting.

What do you dislike?

I didn't bother with any of the tutorials, and just jumped right in. It wasn't as intuitive as I would have liked, and spent more time on trial and error.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give this software a try, you'll be happy with the new ways it helps you explore your qualitative data.

I used it to take a qualitative data set from a large group of our employees and see what the trends were, and develop a "why" statement for our department.

NVivo review by Heidi R.
Heidi R.

"Easy to Code, Hard to Analyze"

What do you like best?

It is easy to code text or images. It is intuitive to get started coding.

What do you dislike?

Once coding is complete, it is very difficult to produce and examine quantitative descriptive stats on the codes applied.

I have used NVivo for qualitative coding for research projects in the past, but have now switched ti Atlas.ti, which has greater functionality for my purposes.

NVivo review by Javier L.
Javier L.

"Good qualitative software"

What do you like best?

It's very seamless and quite stable (e.g. does not lag, and barely any hiccups in the program).

What do you dislike?

The lack of cloud functionality. Having to have this installed in a computer makes it difficult for cross team collaboration

I know they provide site licenses which make it much cheaper than having to purchase individual licenses.

G2 Crowd User in Higher Education

"Nvivo helps to get insights on large texts and other kind of qualitative data"

What do you like best?

The best of Nvivo is that it allows you to hold all the information about a project in a single place. No need to have lots of files over your computer, you just have every piece of information in one place.

What do you dislike?

It made my computer much slower. Maybe because of the amount of information used in my project

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using diverse kinds of information such as text, images and video, nvivo is perfect for you

Qualitative research, specifically grounded theory

G2 Crowd User

"glorified excell, but much less functional"

What do you like best?

Honestly, as a qualitative researcher, I can't stand NVivo and have nothing good to say.

What do you dislike?

This program has crashed my computer at least twice. It is highly overpriced, and doesnt do anything that excel can't do. Takes up an inordinate amount of space on my hard drive, and the nvivo file types are easily corrupted. Terrible interface. Completely non-intuitive, and sharing is hard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avoid spending money on this garbage.

I need to code qualitative research.

NVivo review by G2 Crowd User in Research
G2 Crowd User in Research

"Nvivo is an amazingly powerful qualitative analysis tool"

What do you like best?

Lots of versatility in the types of analyses that can be done within Nvivo. I love the word cloud feature!

What do you dislike?

Not always the most intuitive system to navigate, but with practice, it gets easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I took an Nvivo workshop and found it incredibly helpful!

Nvivo has been tremendously helpful for qualitative coding of interview transcripts for social science research.

"NVivo"

What do you like best?

It is easy to run inter-rater reliability. I also appreciate the ability to download the coded text for each node separately.

What do you dislike?

It is a bit difficult to review the coding stripes on the right side when reviewing the coding of multiple coders for a transcript.

I am analyzing qualitative interview data for public health research.

G2 Crowd User

"best tool for qualitative aalyses"

What do you like best?

It its intuitive to use. It allows multiple users to work collaboratively on coding projects.

What do you dislike?

Nothing - its a great tool. However, it is more expensive than the similar tools

We use it to code interviews and survey responses

NVivo review by G2 Crowd User in Research
G2 Crowd User in Research

"Difficult to use but valuable software"

What do you like best?

The ability to code transcripts on a sub-sentence level

What do you dislike?

The confusing and non-intuitive UX. It was difficult to learn.

The need to analyze and code transcripts

NVivo review by G2 Crowd User in Marketing and Advertising
G2 Crowd User in Marketing and Advertising

"Good Product for Market Research"

What do you like best?

It's flexibility to handle and produce qualitative reporting.

What do you dislike?

Software is a bit outdated and hard to use if you don't have prior experience/training

Analyze qualitative data

Learning about NVivo?

* We monitor all NVivo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.